Cherice Morales: Teacher Stacey Rambold gets 30 days in jail for raping student, 14, who commuted suicide
A Montana teacher who admitted to raping a troubled 14-year-old student who later committed suicide has been given just 30 days in jail after a judge ruled that the girl was more mature than her age and 'just as in control' of the relationship as the teacher.
Cherice Morales' furious mother stormed out of the courtroom Monday after Judge Todd Baugh handed down the sentence, which was less than 1percent of the 10 years prosecutors had demanded.
Attorneys for Stacey Dean Rambold, 54, said the teacher has lost his job, his license, his house and his wife and suffered the 'scarlet letter of the Internet' as a result of the allegations. Defense lawyer Jay Lansing said his client had been punished enough for his crime.
Judge Baugh, 66, - who said he disagreed with the decision to prosecute Rambold after he was kicked out of sex offender treatment program - announced last week that he is running for re-election and is thus far unopposed.
The Billings Gazette reports that Rambold was arrested in 2008 after police and administrators at Billings Senior High School learned that he had targeted 14-year-old Cherice, a troubled freshman at the school, and groomed her for sex.
The school district had warned Rambold four years earlier to avoid touching or being alone with female students, it was later revealed. The district paid Cherice's mother $96,000 as part of a wrongful death settlement.
The teacher, who was then 49, was charged with three counts of sexual intercourse without consent and prosecutors allege he had an ongoing sexual relationship with the girl.
Tragic: Cherice Morales killed herself just before her 17th birthday while the criminal case against her teacher was pending. As a result, prosecutors had to defer the charges
It was later revealed that administrators at Billings Senior High School had warned Rambold not to touch female students or be alone with them
Just before her 17th birthday and while the case on still pending, Cherice killed herself.
The girl's mother, Auliea Hanlon, says that Rambold's sexual abuse was a 'major factor' in her daughter's suicide.
The Gazette reports that with the girl's death, prosecutors were forced to defer prosecution. They agreed to dismiss the case if Rambold admitted to one count of rape and agreed to enter a three-stage sex offender treatment program.
In December, prosecutors revived the case and re-filed charges after they learned that the teacher had been kicked out of the program for having unsupervised visits with minors.
Rambold's defense lawyer said those minors were his family members.The attorney said Rambold was attending another treatment program and was considered a low risk to re-offend.
Her fault? Judge Todd Baugh ruled that Cherice was 'older than her chronological age' and that in listening to the girl's police interviews, he came to believe that she was in control of the relationship with her teacher
Judge Baugh seemed to agree. He said that the former teacher's violations at the sex offender treatment program were not enough to warrant prosecution.
He also said that when he reviewed taped police interviews with Cherice and concluded that even though she was 35 years younger than Rambold and clearly troubled, she was 'as much in control of the situation' as the teacher, the Gazette reported.
Judge Baugh also said that Cherice was 'older than her chronological age' - which mitigated Rambold's crimes.
Ms Hanlon, Cherice's mother, stormed out of the courtroom when the judge handed down the ruling and shouted 'You people suck!' at the judge.
Baltimore police officer ends up adopting 'vicious' pit bull said to be terrorizing the streets after it licked him and jumped in his cruiser
A police officer called out to reports of a 'vicious dog' terrorizing the streets has ended up adopting the abandoned, affectionate pit bull. When Officer Dan ...
- Kidnap victim Hannah Anderson 'posts selfies and answers questions on Ask.fm'
- Redneck Heaven naked body-paint waitresses force Texas town to change nudity laws
- Simon Cowell cuddles up to the 'mother of his child' Lauren Silverman on a VERY cosy holiday as her husband looks on
- Chinese officials mistake porn film 'Lethal Injection' for American execution footage
- Korean model Hang Mioku Mangles her face by injecting it with cooking oil after doctors refused to do plastic surgery
- Simon Cowell 'expecting a baby with married New York socialite Lauren Silverman'
- Beautiful but haunting photographs that capture the despair of ordinary Americans during the Great Depression of the 1930s
- What an idiot. Beyonce's first boyfriend admits cheating on her 5 times.
- Brynn Cameron, mother of Matt Leinart's son, has 2nd child with Blake Griffin
- Cherice Morales: Teacher Stacey Rambold gets 30 days in jail for raping student, 14, who commuted suicide
- Ex-Bachelor star Gia Allemand 'on life support' in hospital
- Darriean Hess crash: Two cyclists killed when woman driver, 20, plows into them on highway during 100-mile ride
- Madelyn Sheaffer: Woman, 43, was kicked out of water park because her bathing suit was too small
- Walkie Talkie building is melting bicycles: Light reflected from under-construction City skyscraper scorches seat
- Courtney Cox, 29, arrested for 'skinny dipping in casino fountain'
- Army Sergeant mom 'devastated' by son's death in hot car after she forgot to drop him at day care and is charged with manslaughter
- James DiMaggio: Police warn man who 'kidnapped Hannah Anderson, 16, could be armed with bombs'
- Radio host and Hollywood voice-over actor Eddie 'Piolin' Sotelo accused of sexually harassing a male staffer
- New York train suicide couple: Heartbreaking note left by young lovers who jumped in front of train after facing pressure to break-up
- Body of missing woman Annie Meyer found on Lookout Mountain
- U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan using Craigslist to hook up with each other on base
- Gordon Ramsay’s ‘Kitchen Nightmares’ comes to Denver
- Pictured: Woman on dream honeymoon killed and 11 injured after car speeds along Venice Beach boardwalk targeting crowds
- Till death do us part: Man sentenced for murder then married to his girlfriend by Superior Court Judge who bakes the couple a CAKE
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Identified: 'Memorial Militia' lawn-mowing volunteer ejected from Lincoln Memorial by U.S. Park Police
- Mother died of TB along with newborn twins after eating infected dairy spreads
- Kendrick Johnson death: Blood streaks, an abandoned sneaker and more grisly scene pictures suggest 17-year-old athlete found dead in wrestling mat may have been murdered
- Turkish TV presenter is sacked for wearing low-cut top after coming under fire from ruling political party
- Oklahoma man 'robbed TWO separate banks disguised as a WOMAN' and escaped in a white Cadillac
- Hunters apologise after killing rare albino moose in Canada
- Earliest artists were women claim researchers as study of cave paintings reveal majority of prints were from female hands
- New York SUV attack: Undercover NYPD cop arrested for taking part went undercover with Occupy Wall St
- Man with 'painful' lump the size of golf ball in his breast denied access to mammogram because he is a man
- NBA star Kevin Garnett puts 11,000 square-foot waterfront mansion on the market for $4.85 million