Waste Management finds woman's wedding rings in 5 tons of trash
- Newly wedded wife ended up throwing away her wedding rings along with the trash
- Saira Rossy had only been married a few days.
- Distraught she called Waste Management hoping for a miracle
By James Gordon
Published: 12:23 EST, 22 May 2014 | Updated: 12:52 EST, 22 May 2014
A newly married couple from Florida ended up calling on a few favors from staff at a waste dump after accidentally throwing away their wedding rings
Saira Rossy from Naples had only been married a few days. She was taking out the trash and simply didn’t realize that her wedding and engagement rings were in a small Ziploc bag next to an empty pizza box.
In her rush to get to work, she ended up throwing them down the garbage chute but she didn't for several hours that the ring was actually missing.
Scroll down for video...
Throwaway love: Newlywed Saira Rossy ended up calling on a few favors from staff at a waste dump after accidentally throwing away her wedding rings
A nice sparkler: Saira Rossy had only been married a few days and was running late for work when ended up throwing away her wedding rings along with the trash
Long road to freedom: The trash wound its way down the garbage chute along with the rest of the household garbage leading directly to a 20-foot-long and 8-foot-wide trash compactor
In a hurry: Saira Rossy didn;t realize what was in the small Ziploc bag next to an empty Little Caesar;s Pizza box when she dropped it down the garbage chute in her rush to work
'I called my mom to see if I had left it in the bathroom and it hit me — oh my God, I threw out my wedding ring,' Mrs Rossy said to NBC 2 News.
Mrs Rossy got married at the start of May and would take her wedding ring set off while she was at work to keep it safe.
Somehow, before her ring made it into her purse for safekeeping, the engagement ring and wedding band wound up on the table next to an old pizza box.
Before long, it was winding its way down the garbage chute along with the rest of the household trash leading directly to a 20-foot-long and 8-foot-wide trash compactor.
Little mistake: Mrs Rossy was distraught after throwing away her rings. She had only been married a few days. She bought boots and overalls in order to go dumpster diving
Needle in a haystack: Waste Management emptied five tons of trash from the compactor and went digging for the rings
Suited & booted: She made a quick stop at the store; Rossy bought a hazmat suit, mask and boots. She was ready to go Dumpster diving
Helping hand: Waste Management assured her they could help
Found! Dennis Sierra, a driver with Waste Management, found the rings - they were still in their ziplocked bag
After realizing her gut-wrenching mistake, Mrs Rossy called the building manager but he was on vacation.
'I was frantic,' Rossy said. 'I called Waste Management to see if they would let me open it up and look inside, but they understandably said it was too much of a liability — that it was too toxic and it could crush me.'
Eventually. Christi Epperson, a manager at Waste Management told her that although they couldn’t open up the trash compactor, they might be able to take a look inside when it was hauled off a week later to be emptied at the landfill.
Very few people were involved in the actual search.
Grateful: Saira Rossy couldn't be more thankful to Waste Management, but she said she never gave up hope
Searching: The only Mrs Rossy could give the searchers was that the ring was likely in a white garbage bag with red strings carrying a Little Caesar¿s Pizza box
Recovered: Sierra who looked inside a nearly empty bag with a pizza box on top. He pulled apart every piece of junk mail inside until a tiny plastic bag with a wedding ring inside fell out
The couple even stopped throwing garbage down the chute so there would be fewer bags to sort through.
'It was kind of tragic for us, because we just got married and it was such a large expense,' Mrs Rossy said. 'I really was already thinking there was no way they were going to find it.'
On 'dump day', five tons of garbage filled the container and Mrs Rossy together with Ms Epperson and Dennis Sierra, a driver with Waste Management, were ready to start looking for the ring.
The search was done mostly by sight because of the risk of encountering needles and broken glass.
Mrs Rossy knew she had to look out for a white trash bag carrying a Little Caesar’s Pizza box.
Driver, Mr Sierra looked inside a nearly empty bag with a pizza box on top and found a tiny plastic bag with a wedding ring inside.
Mrs Rossy bought the two employees $50 gift cards to a restaurant as a thank you.
'I didn’t know what else to do,' Rossy said. 'It’s just so nice that a company would do this, they were extraordinary to do this.'NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Reporter Josina Anderson spent several minutes on Tuesday discussing whether Michael Sam was showering with other St. Louis Rams playersThe network said it 'collectively failed ...
- 'I know people who can put a bomb on you': Boston Marathon bombing suspect's sister arrested 'for threatening to BLOW UP her boyfriend's ex in Manhattan'
- Boston Marathon bombing victim marries nurse who helped him recover
- Horrific moment hovering TV news helicopter blew plastic off dead body and exposed it on live broadcast
- 'I'll put a round in your a** so quick': Florida police chief defends cop who threatened to shoot young black man because he filmed his partner throwing him on the ground
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Islamic State, ISIS or ISIL: Why it doesn't matter what you call the brutal al-Qaeda offshoot which now boasts more than 80,000 jihadists
- Former child model who claims he was sexually abused by X-Men director Bryan Singer drops lawsuit
- Deputy prosecutor 'exchanged 1300 texts and a photo of herself in a bikini with inmate who has CRIMINAL tattooed on his forehead'
- Sanrio shocker! Company reveals Hello Kitty is not actually a cat
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Want silky skin? Plaster your face with patches, which are said to treat everything from lip wrinkles to frown lines
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- USC football star Josh Shaw suspended after admiting he lied about spraining ankles while saving nephew from drowning
- Inside the mind of an American jihadist: Florida man turned Syria suicide bomber believed the FBI was on his tail when he fled the US
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Deputy who killed former Napster COO after drifting into the bike lane while distracted by his laptop will NOT face charges because he was answering a work-related email
- Twin brother of Army Sgt mother-of-one who shot herself dead at Fort Lee claims suicide 'came out of nowhere'
- Dutch Vogue model Roosmarijn de Kok, 19, accused of shoplifting chocolate bars and fish oil from Whole Foods - but she insists she forgot they were in her bag and tried to give them back before leaving the store
- Ebola nurse 'caught disease from a baby'
- Cops on hunt for cab driver who tried to sexually assault 26-year-old woman in front of her three kids, yanking one child from the car and shoving another on to the sidewalk
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Sadie Robertson to join 'DWTS'
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Russian hackers attacked US financial system stealing gigabytes of data
- Legroom rage: Why a gadget that stops plane seats tilting back is starting fights on airliners
- William Greaves, pioneering African-American filmmaker and co-host of Black Journal, dead at 87
- Where is Trenton? Police release age progression photo of boy who disappeared eight years ago from his Florida home when he was just two-years-old
- Woman, 54, kills leopard with a spade after hour-long fight to the death in Uttarakhand, India
- Terms of Service
- I turned my dead husband into a diamond: The bizarre trend for making keepsakes from a loved one's ashes
- Sleeping in a dark room, comfort burping and developing a sleep pattern for your baby are just some of the 6 MYTHS busted by top GP and infant expert about caring for newborns
- The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge celebrity family tree: How the viral charity movement started with a golfer in Florida and quickly spread around Hollywood and the world
- Father arrested for child endangerment after leaving four-year-old daughter asleep in boiling-hot car as he shopped
- The mother who's proud to parade naked in front of her 13-year-old son
- Little girl swears while doing the ice bucket challenge
- Alec Baldwin easily catches stray tennis ball at U.S. Open
- Public executions are weekly ritual in ISIS-controlled parts of Syria
- CDC worker returns to the U.S. after coming in contact with Ebola patient in Africa...but officials say staffer is not a risk to the public
- Kim's a big fan of Man Un-ited! Dictator loves team so much he orders North Korean state TV to illegally show their matches
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Legroom rage: Why a gadget that stops plane seats tilting back is starting fights on airliners
- White House sent three officials to Michael Brown funeral but ZERO to James Foley memorial service
- Crew member of reality show 'Cops' shot dead by Omaha police in friendly-fire incident while filming armed robbery