Ohio sheriff's deputy forces woman's mouth open for taking TYLENOL
- Siobhan Householder, 35, was in a holding room while waiting to make a court appearance last week when the incident occurred
- The mother of three insists she was unaware she was in custody because she showed up to the courthouse on her own
- The sheriff's deputy is seen on the video throwing Householder to the ground, pulling her hair, squeezing her mouth and jamming his fingers in
By Ryan Gorman
Published: 10:25 EST, 15 May 2014 | Updated: 10:58 EST, 15 May 2014
Shocking footage has emerged of an Ohio woman handcuffed and charged with resisting arrest after sheriff’s deputies pinned her down on the floor pried open her mouth to retrieve a Tylenol tablet.
Surveillance video shows Siobhan Householder, 35, of Akron, being confronted last week by a police officer after she took the prescription medication – the altercation left her injured and arrested.
Householder was in a holding area while waiting to make a court appearance when she took the medication for a tooth infection, she told the Akron Beacon-Journal.
SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO
Forced to the ground: Siobhan Householder is shown on the ground as the sheriff's deputy tries to force her mouth open
How it started: The deputy rushes over and grabs Householder's mouth shortly after she takes the pill
The mother of three says the incident left her with bruises to her chin and legs, cuts on the inside of her mouth and hair loss.
There is no audio in the video, but what happens is very clear – Householder puts a pill in her mouth and the Summit County sheriff’s deputy bolts towards the woman to stop her from swallowing it.
‘He said, ‘What are you taking?’ and I said, Tylenol,’ she recalled to the paper. ‘And he said, ‘Spit it out’ and I said, ‘I can’t.’ I meant to say I can’t spit it out because I had already swallowed the other pills.
‘But I didn’t even get that part out before he just yanked me up and threw me down on the ground and was trying to dig these pills out of mouth,’ Householder continued.
The video shows the officer grab the woman while her purse and prescription pill bottle fall to the floor.
‘There was one [pill] in there and I couldn’t even get it out because he kept shoving his hand in my mouth and squeezing my face and pulling my hair at the same time,’ she said.
Scuffle: The woman's purse and pill bottle tumble to the floor as she struggles with the deputy
Pinned: He then pins her to the floor and reaches for her mouth
Watchful eye: Another deputy looks on as the struggle continues
Helping hand: A separate deputy then helps hold the woman down while the original officer pulls Householder's hair as he tries to force the pill out of her mouth
The officer then grabs the mother of three by the back of the head and tries to force her mouth open.
‘He was pulling down on my bottom lip and squeezing my face at the same time,’ said Householder. ‘He basically pulled my lip away from my teeth.’
More deputies pile into the room – there were at least five visible at one point – as the officer trying to force the pill out of Householder’s mouth examines the prescription bottle that fell to the floor.
They hold the woman down as one officer pulls out handcuffs and slaps them on her wrists as they frisk her.
‘They were acting like I wanted to escape from Alcatraz. It was awful,’ she lamented.
The search yielded nine prescription Tylenol and two diazepam tablets, police said. Also found were an additional 26 ibuprofen tablets the woman kept in a sandwich bag.
Householder disputes police assertions they found three additional unknown pills in a latex glove.
Drawing to an end: The second deputy is seen gesturing to the left while still helping hold the mother of three down
Finally over: Five deputies are in the room (one is off camera) as Householder is handcuffed and arrested
A sheriff’s office spokesperson told the paper that Householder was taken into custody earlier in the day on a warrant for failure to appear for a domestic relations case.
‘While taking Ms. Householder into custody, Deputy Vaughan witnessed her attempt to ingest several pills,’ said the spokesperson. ‘He restrained her for her safety and she was transported to a local hospital where she was treated and released.’
The bruised woman says she showed up to the courthouse May 8 on her own and was unaware she was in any kind of custody, that she felt free to take pills.
Householder was treated for a bloody mouth and handed summonses for resisting arrest and obstructing official business.
An internal affairs investigation remains ongoing, authorities said.
It is not clear if Householder will sue the department, and a message left by MailOnline seeking further comment from her was not immediately returned.
No drug charges were filed.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Obamacare law means Americans will see calorie-counts on menus and menu boards everywhere next year, but studies show dramatic move might make us eat MORE
Members of Congress who pushed for the rule say it doesn't go far enough and want it expanded to movie theaters, bowling alleys and theme ...
- Meryl Streep discusses her witch's rap for 'Into the Woods'
- Body of missing mother found naked and bloody outside Philadelphia shopping mall just days after her release from prison
- Mikael Lindnord who adopted stray dog now waits months to be reunited
- 'You are too much of a p***y to shoot me': Explosive grand jury evidence reveals how an 'aggressive' Michael Brown taunted cop Darren Wilson before he was shot dead
- Ferguson, Missouri Police officer Darren Wilson WILL NOT face charges for shooting unarmed black teen Michael Brown
- Ferguson cop Darren Wilson married fellow police officer last month
- Protesters gather in 90 cities across the U.S. as grand jury decides that Officer Darren Wilson won't be charged over the death of Michael Brown
- Man, 37, sentenced to life in prison for the murder of his wife right in front of their daughter and another young girl
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Artist creates penguin-seal hybrids after pictures proved they were having sex
- Ferguson officer Darren Wilson's family tell of receiving death threats.
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Miss Pole Dance South America competition twirls into Argentina as athletic acrobats compete for the chance to be the best in the world
- 'We're a strong family. We're just taking it a day at a time': Family of mother who abandoned baby boy in a drain speak out for the first time
- Ferguson protesters scrawl Hunger Games slogan on landmark
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Three Alabama boys and a sheriff killed as sports sedan and police car collide
- Millionaire investor dumps much younger girlfriend of five years by serving her with a restraining order and kicking her out of the house after she returns from weekend away
- Mother-of-three vanishes on lunch break after stepping out of childcare center to call her husband
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Woman who 'had affair with Robert Rosenkranz' confronts wife on Twitter
- Terms of Service
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- First woman named in charge of White House dessert menu but can she satisfy a sweet tooth and still meet First Lady Michelle Obama's healthy demands?
- Richardson High School teacher 'had sex with student and offered her to sign contract promising good grades'
- UVA sophomore and heir to grocery store legacy kills himself in latest campus tragedy
- Mother-of-two stabbed to death in the chest while jogging in Connecticut
- Don't bother counting calories... it's the type of food that matters: Items high in fat may actually be good at keeping the weight off
- Step aside Kim Kardashian, Odell Beckham Jr broke the internet
- Thanksgiving travel nightmare: Nor'easter set to paralyze roads and cancel flights with Atlantic storm expected to dump snow at an inch an hour on Wednesday
- Jewel Allison accuses Bill Cosby of drugging wine before sexually assaulting her
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- NYPD chief sprayed with fake blood at Ferguson grand jury decision protest
- Ferguson locals laugh at wreckage, pose for pics, scavenge for beers
- 'If we left, they wouldn't have nobody': Heroic janitor and cook recall how they cared for at least 16 elderly patients after residential home was abandoned by staff
- 'How do we stop things like this happening time after time': LeBron James leads the social media reaction to the news that Michael Brown's killer won't face charges
- Christopher Roney set to be executed in January for killing female cop
- CNN anchors choke on tear gas during live broadcast as police tweet cops are only using 'smoke'
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Missouri cop shot in the arm as violent protests continue in the wake of the grand jury decision not to indict Officer Darren Wilson in Michael Brown's death
- Swiss museum accepts collection of Nazi artworks left to it by German hoarder
- Florida man Phuc Kieu 'tried to rape man and steal his money'
- Tennessee TV station apologizes for 'Dancing With the Stars' tweet during Ferguson decision
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- South Carolina boy, 5, born without fingers can use his right hand with Iron Man-themed prosthesis