Ohio sheriff's deputy forces woman's mouth open for taking TYLENOL
- Siobhan Householder, 35, was in a holding room while waiting to make a court appearance last week when the incident occurred
- The mother of three insists she was unaware she was in custody because she showed up to the courthouse on her own
- The sheriff's deputy is seen on the video throwing Householder to the ground, pulling her hair, squeezing her mouth and jamming his fingers in
By Ryan Gorman
Published: 10:25 EST, 15 May 2014 | Updated: 10:58 EST, 15 May 2014
Shocking footage has emerged of an Ohio woman handcuffed and charged with resisting arrest after sheriff’s deputies pinned her down on the floor pried open her mouth to retrieve a Tylenol tablet.
Surveillance video shows Siobhan Householder, 35, of Akron, being confronted last week by a police officer after she took the prescription medication – the altercation left her injured and arrested.
Householder was in a holding area while waiting to make a court appearance when she took the medication for a tooth infection, she told the Akron Beacon-Journal.
SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO
Forced to the ground: Siobhan Householder is shown on the ground as the sheriff's deputy tries to force her mouth open
How it started: The deputy rushes over and grabs Householder's mouth shortly after she takes the pill
The mother of three says the incident left her with bruises to her chin and legs, cuts on the inside of her mouth and hair loss.
There is no audio in the video, but what happens is very clear – Householder puts a pill in her mouth and the Summit County sheriff’s deputy bolts towards the woman to stop her from swallowing it.
‘He said, ‘What are you taking?’ and I said, Tylenol,’ she recalled to the paper. ‘And he said, ‘Spit it out’ and I said, ‘I can’t.’ I meant to say I can’t spit it out because I had already swallowed the other pills.
‘But I didn’t even get that part out before he just yanked me up and threw me down on the ground and was trying to dig these pills out of mouth,’ Householder continued.
The video shows the officer grab the woman while her purse and prescription pill bottle fall to the floor.
‘There was one [pill] in there and I couldn’t even get it out because he kept shoving his hand in my mouth and squeezing my face and pulling my hair at the same time,’ she said.
Scuffle: The woman's purse and pill bottle tumble to the floor as she struggles with the deputy
Pinned: He then pins her to the floor and reaches for her mouth
Watchful eye: Another deputy looks on as the struggle continues
Helping hand: A separate deputy then helps hold the woman down while the original officer pulls Householder's hair as he tries to force the pill out of her mouth
The officer then grabs the mother of three by the back of the head and tries to force her mouth open.
‘He was pulling down on my bottom lip and squeezing my face at the same time,’ said Householder. ‘He basically pulled my lip away from my teeth.’
More deputies pile into the room – there were at least five visible at one point – as the officer trying to force the pill out of Householder’s mouth examines the prescription bottle that fell to the floor.
They hold the woman down as one officer pulls out handcuffs and slaps them on her wrists as they frisk her.
‘They were acting like I wanted to escape from Alcatraz. It was awful,’ she lamented.
The search yielded nine prescription Tylenol and two diazepam tablets, police said. Also found were an additional 26 ibuprofen tablets the woman kept in a sandwich bag.
Householder disputes police assertions they found three additional unknown pills in a latex glove.
Drawing to an end: The second deputy is seen gesturing to the left while still helping hold the mother of three down
Finally over: Five deputies are in the room (one is off camera) as Householder is handcuffed and arrested
A sheriff’s office spokesperson told the paper that Householder was taken into custody earlier in the day on a warrant for failure to appear for a domestic relations case.
‘While taking Ms. Householder into custody, Deputy Vaughan witnessed her attempt to ingest several pills,’ said the spokesperson. ‘He restrained her for her safety and she was transported to a local hospital where she was treated and released.’
The bruised woman says she showed up to the courthouse May 8 on her own and was unaware she was in any kind of custody, that she felt free to take pills.
Householder was treated for a bloody mouth and handed summonses for resisting arrest and obstructing official business.
An internal affairs investigation remains ongoing, authorities said.
It is not clear if Householder will sue the department, and a message left by MailOnline seeking further comment from her was not immediately returned.
No drug charges were filed.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
One man and his Harley: Brad Bakelar of Reno rides his motorcycle with his companion, Moki, a five-year-old Goldendoodle
Moki, a five-year-old Goldendoodle, sits comfortably in the backseat of Brad Bakalar's Harley Davidson By James Gordon Published: 20:43 EST, 23 October 2014 | ...
- Autopsy shows black teenager gunned down by off-duty police officer in St Louis was shot six times in the back - as family attorney says it PROVES he was running away
- Pictured in his final moments: Canadian reservist soldier and father Nathan Cirillo, 24, photographed SECONDS before he was shot dead by Michael Zehaf-Bibeau
- Should that go there? Officers marking off Ebola patient's NYC apartment toss their gloves, masks and caution tape in PUBLIC trash can on city sidewalk after they leave
- Substitute teacher 'had sex with a football player student, 17, during pep rally on her first day of school'
- Eddie Redmayne morphs into Stephen Hawking for The Theory of Everything clip
- Bear Grylls releases new book 'Extreme Food'
- Miracle surgery saves all four of expecting mom's quadruplets after fears they were losing blood and she could give birth at just 19 weeks
- Small plane and helicopter collide in midair killing three in Maryland
- O Canada! Pittsburgh fans sing Canadian national anthem at NHL game as show of support after Ottawa terrorist attack
- Vicious Japanese man becomes the first person in the world to get prison time for printing 3D guns
- The Halloween light show that is perfectly synced to Bohemian Rhapsody
- Ceremony for 15 British WWI soldiers buried 100 years after they died
- Kurds attend funerals of those who died battling ISIS in Kobane
- Guide offers advice on modern relationships as Jane Austen 'would have written it'
- International embassies in London are worth £4billion between them ranging from the US's new £600million fortress to North Korea's suburban semi
- Secret Service agents left posts to deal with their boss's neighbor
- Lauryn 'Pumpkin' Shannon rubbishes reports Mama June is dating child sex offender ex
- Decorated soldier who fought in 'Black Hawk Down' battle in Somalia dies at 52
- Elton John extends Las Vegas residency for another three years
- Billionaire George Soros' son fights bitter divorce battle with wife of 22 years after 'cheating with a model-turned-naked artist'
- Could you last the night in McKamey Manor HORROR HOUSE? Nobody has yet
- Jurors hear harrowing 911 call of dying mother gasping for breath 'after her husband poisoned her with cyanide because he thought she was having an affair'
- 'You are so loved': Lawyer who was with Corporal Nathan Cirillo in his final moments describes the support and aide he received from complete strangers desperate to save his life
- 'There is no reason for New Yorkers to be alarmed': Officials issue desperate appeal for city to remain calm over Ebola case
- Fifty shrinks: A lens into the wide-variety therapist offices where New Yorkers from all walks of life pour out their problems and share their innermost secrets
- Texas hospital is using fake patients sprayed with TABASCO SAUCE to train doctors how not to come in contact with the deadly virus dripping into U.S territory
- 'His smile wins over the girls - he will go far in life': How Ottawa shooter's yearbook paints a VERY different picture of Michael Zehaf-Bibeau
- The travel and tipping habits of the rich and famous REVEALED through a deciphered New York taxicab database
- Twitter erupts with angry rants, confused questions and cynical humor as New York tries to make sense of why Ebola doctor went bowling while knowingly at risk
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Misty Beaty gives birth to baby boy despite husband being told he was 'sterile'
- The Simpsons hit with $250m lawsuit from Goodfellas actor Frank Sivero
- Justin Bieber could be good for your CAREER. Pop music speeds up work, study claims
- Goats are SHRINKING because of climate change, researchers find
- North America to get prime view of Thursday's partial eclipse
- 'Django Unchained' actress Daniele Watts charged with lewd conduct
- Michael Sam, First openly gay NFL player cut from Dallas Cowboys
- Anna Wintour pays tribute to Oscar de la Renta on Vogue.com
- How arguing with your spouse could make you FAT: Marital rows and depression lead to fewer calories being burned after meals
- Drugs for Parkinson's disease can turn patients into gamblers, sex addicts and compulsive shoppers
- We'll soon all live to 120 years old - but this is probably the absolute limit, claims expert
- Warren Buffett loses $2bn in days as stocks crash on Coke and IMB
- Emmy Rossum gets Breakthrough award at Carmel International Film Festival
- 'How I Met You Mother' actress Cobie Smulders pregnant with second child
- Tracey Cox reveals the 10 best places to get have sex
- Apple CEO Tim Cook confronts China over iCloud hacking claims