Has MH370 finally been found? China releases satellite image of suspected crash site in the South China Sea... where rescuers first started looking
- Chinese satellite imagery has been released which shows the 'suspected crash site' of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370
- The images appear to show three large pieces of debris - the largest of which is 78-feet by 72-feet
- The satellite captured the images on March 9 - the day after the crash - but they were only released on Wednesday
By James Nye
PUBLISHED: 16:19 EST, 12 March 2014 | UPDATED: 16:55 EST, 12 March 2014
A Chinese satellite searching for missing Malaysian Airlines flight 370 has found what it is calling a 'suspected crash area at sea' - releasing images of what they are describing as three 'large, floating, objects' in the South China Sea.
The potentially crucial development comes on the fifth day of the search for the Boeing 777 - which seemingly vanished without trace early on Saturday morning.
China's State Administration for Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense announced the discovery of the images in the are where rescuers first started looking on Saturday - along with other images of what appear to show an oil slick tracing the surrounding area.
Location? This image released by Chinese authorities potentially shows a large crash site of what could be Malaysian Airlines Flight 370
Debris: The crucial discovery of the debris was made on March 9 - the day after Malaysian Airlines flight 370 went missing - but were only released on Wednesday
The images were captured on March 9 - the day after the plane went missing, but were somehow not released until Wednesday.
CNN are reporting the Chinese satellite images reveal three pieces of debris, the biggest 78-feet by 72-feet.
The location of the suspected debris is half way between Malaysia and Vietnam close to the expected flight path of the aircraft which mysteriously disappeared at 1.30 am on Saturday morning.
However, despite the potentially pivotal release of the images, this is not the first time that authorities have announced they were examining an oil slick or floating objects that could be linked to the missing airliner.
Floating: These images from the Chinese satellite dated March 9 appear to show what could be fuel resting on the surface of the South China Sea and were taken in the zone where the three pieces of large debris were recorded
The Chinese science agency provided coordinates of 105.63 east longitude, 6.7 north latitude, which would put the unidentified debris in waters just northeast of where it took off in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
One former US aviation official said that the images represent the first and only solid lead that matches the Boeing 777's original flight path.
'These images are the first solid piece of evidence we have that they were on the correct flight path,' said Peter Goelz, the former managing director of the US federal National Transportation Safety Board to CNN.
The US Navy will be deploying two navy vessels to the area, Commander William Marks told the cable news network.
The highlighted area is where the Chinese satellite identified the three pieces of debris floating in the waters of the South China Sea
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
School board upholds suspension of football coaches whose players were sexually assaulting teammates - as angry adults and current players come out to defend the men
The football coaching staff at Sayreville War Memorial High School were suspended with pay this evening by the Board of Education This comes after seven players ...
- Prankster gets knocked out by guy he hit in the face with a pizza
- Hailee Lamberth's parents sue school for 'not telling them she was bullied'
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- EXCLUSIVE: Empty corridors, snow-free mountains and the weird Dome Cafe: Inside North Korea's deserted ski resort which Kim Jong-un says is 'impeccable'
- Man on fire runs through Brooklyn with clothes MELTING off his body after blast 'sparked by hookah pipe chemicals'
- Man missing 9 years found dead in car in Ohio pond
- Boy, 11, shoots dead extremely rare albino deer that biologists say are born just once in every HUNDRED THOUSAND births
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Husband, 100, dies 28 HOURS after his wife of 73 years... and the last thing he did was whisper 'call me home' as she faded away
- Snow plough driver admits he 'lost his bearings' causing Total CEO crash
- New details of alleged rape by lawyer Sanford Rubenstein after Al Sharpton's birthday bash - as accuser's lawyers demand he be charged
- From age spots to dull hair and scaly skin... Are onions the answer to every beauty problem?
- Gunman in murder-suicide at Ben Taub General Hospital in Houston, Texas
- Substitute teacher 'had sex with a football player student, 17, during pep rally on her first day of school'
- Emma Stone explains why she kept ruining 'Birdman'
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- How far would you go to cover up a crime? Secret camera tests reveal how people will hide evidence and lie to police to protect their friends
- Palestinian kills baby at Jerusalem station
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Worrying truth about what teenage girls think of their bodies...and what their mums feel when they find out
- Here Comes Honey Boo Boo reality show's future in doubt after Mama June starts 'dating' convicted child sex offender who 'molested her relative'
- Pictured in his final moments: Canadian reservist soldier and father Nathan Cirillo, 24, photographed SECONDS before he was shot dead by Michael Zehaf-Bibeau
- Svetlana Krivsun blamed for flight that killed Total CEO Christophe de Margerie
- Comfort eating? Chinese woman, 26, spends an entire WEEK in KFC after being dumped by boyfriend
- Will Smith to produce 'Hitch' series for Fox
- Researchers say breathing toxic air in the first two years of life linked to autism
- What do YOUR texts say about your marriage? Couple chart their six-year SMS history from first date to now as it changes from 'sweet dreams' to 'what's for dinner?'
- Soldier who shot and killed his 19-year-old wife with the AR-15 she kept for her protection over 'fury that another man had brought her liquor' is charged with murder
- Canadian sergeant-at-arms, 58, hailed a hero after shooting dead terrorist Zehaf-Bibeau in what was his first exchange of gunfire in 30-year career
- Kayelisa Martin smothered her baby then held body in her arms as she gave police a statement
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Johnny Depp stars as The Wolf in new 'Into the Woods' photo
- MSIA founder Roger Delano Hinkins dies at age 80
- Young boy bursts in to tears meeting Darth Vader as he goes on campaign trail for Ukrainian election
- Police and protesters clash in Ferguson after autopsy report is leaked showing how Michael Brown was shot by police six times at close range
- Ariana Grande turned to Kabbalah over gay brother
- O Canada! Pittsburgh fans sing Canadian national anthem at NHL game as show of support after Ottawa terrorist attack
- Terms of Service
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Apple CEO Tim Cook confronts China over iCloud hacking claims
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- The ghosts of U576 found 30 miles off the Carolina coast, 72 years after doomed submarine sank when captain launched a suicidal attack against merchant vessel
- Ikea video of scene from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining in time for Halloween
- Malala Yousafzai receives Philadelphia Liberty Medal: Teenage Nobel laureate joins Nelson Mandela, Thurgood Marshall and Jimmy Carter in winning prestigious honor