Has MH370 finally been found? China releases satellite image of suspected crash site in the South China Sea... where rescuers first started looking
- Chinese satellite imagery has been released which shows the 'suspected crash site' of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370
- The images appear to show three large pieces of debris - the largest of which is 78-feet by 72-feet
- The satellite captured the images on March 9 - the day after the crash - but they were only released on Wednesday
By James Nye
PUBLISHED: 16:19 EST, 12 March 2014 | UPDATED: 16:55 EST, 12 March 2014
A Chinese satellite searching for missing Malaysian Airlines flight 370 has found what it is calling a 'suspected crash area at sea' - releasing images of what they are describing as three 'large, floating, objects' in the South China Sea.
The potentially crucial development comes on the fifth day of the search for the Boeing 777 - which seemingly vanished without trace early on Saturday morning.
China's State Administration for Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense announced the discovery of the images in the are where rescuers first started looking on Saturday - along with other images of what appear to show an oil slick tracing the surrounding area.
Location? This image released by Chinese authorities potentially shows a large crash site of what could be Malaysian Airlines Flight 370
Debris: The crucial discovery of the debris was made on March 9 - the day after Malaysian Airlines flight 370 went missing - but were only released on Wednesday
The images were captured on March 9 - the day after the plane went missing, but were somehow not released until Wednesday.
CNN are reporting the Chinese satellite images reveal three pieces of debris, the biggest 78-feet by 72-feet.
The location of the suspected debris is half way between Malaysia and Vietnam close to the expected flight path of the aircraft which mysteriously disappeared at 1.30 am on Saturday morning.
However, despite the potentially pivotal release of the images, this is not the first time that authorities have announced they were examining an oil slick or floating objects that could be linked to the missing airliner.
Floating: These images from the Chinese satellite dated March 9 appear to show what could be fuel resting on the surface of the South China Sea and were taken in the zone where the three pieces of large debris were recorded
The Chinese science agency provided coordinates of 105.63 east longitude, 6.7 north latitude, which would put the unidentified debris in waters just northeast of where it took off in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
One former US aviation official said that the images represent the first and only solid lead that matches the Boeing 777's original flight path.
'These images are the first solid piece of evidence we have that they were on the correct flight path,' said Peter Goelz, the former managing director of the US federal National Transportation Safety Board to CNN.
The US Navy will be deploying two navy vessels to the area, Commander William Marks told the cable news network.
The highlighted area is where the Chinese satellite identified the three pieces of debris floating in the waters of the South China Sea
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
California high school drops controversial snarling 'Arab' mascot and belly-dancing genie sidekick - but keeps the nickname
School logo featured scowling Arab mascot with one tooth and hooked noseAnti-discrimination campaigners helped school to redesign logoSchool have also dropped mascot but refuse to ...
- Pentagon reveals US military launched operation against al-Shabab extremist targets in Somalia
- Officials warn ELEVEN missing airplanes in Libya could be used to carry out terrorist attack on 9/11 anniversary
- 'The colour of his skin is of no concern - Jonah being a healthy and happy baby is what matters': White child is born to black mother - beating odds of a million-to-one
- Mexican university prank backfires when woman pulls GUN on students attempting to haze her
- Bryan Hamade denies he's the hacker who leaked celebrity nude photos
- 'It's great to be heading home': NFL's first openly gay player Michael Sam jets in to Dallas to join the Cowboys just days after being sensationally dropped by the Rams
- Listen to the Earths' 'voice' on this interactive soundscape map
- Thomas Knights' photography proves red headed men can be 'sexy' and 'heroic' in New York exhibition
- Staten Island teen dead under mysterious circumstances when he collapses during football practice
- 'Once you lose hope you lose heart... someone tells you ''say this'' and you say it': Australian terror captive says beheading victims would have been 'compliant' until the very end
- Man repeatedly stabs pit-bull after it attacked his Westie Terrier in front of dozens of horrified families at adoption event
- ISIS posts online apology for beheading video...to its FOLLOWERS for releasing it ahead of schedule
- One of a pair of Batman Batboats made for 1966 movie up for £40,000 at auction
- Is Google's driverless car a fair weather friend? Vehicle WON'T work in heavy rain or snow, insider reveals
- Father stabs 3 pupils to death at Chinese school after it refused to let daughter return
- 'I threw up before I walked her down the aisle': Dad of woman who helped kill 3 honors victims as he says he was always against her marriage to the man he says 'brainwashed' her
- The mother whose daughter has slept on top of her every night for THREE years so she doesn't die from one of the 100 seizures she suffers every day
- Two California judges censured after having sex with law clerks and job applicants in their chambers
- 'I want to look normal': Florida Army vet who's facial hair was burned off by a roadside bomb sees himself with a beard for the first time in 10 years after transplant
- Watch the moment a fighter jet from the ageing Libyan airforce crashes into a Tobruk neighbourhood
- Terrified mother and two children inside RV spend HOURS trying to shoo away bear clawing and scratching to get into their trailer
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Nordic diet volunteers lost three times as much weight as others
- 'She jumped on my head and was screaming at me.' : Brave moggy saves its owner from burning home.
- McDonald's has been forced to open its first ever turquoise coloured restaurant... but it's not the fast food giant's only unusual store
- Hong Kong pro-democracy activists pepper-sprayed as they disrupt Communist official's speech
- Israel under fire for 'largest West Bank land grab in 30 years' as soldiers swoop on 1,000 acres of Palestinian territory
- Mother accused of killing her severely disabled daughter, eight, could still inherit $1 million of her trust fund even if she is convicted
- Libyan government warns it has lost all control as Islamist militias rampage across capital and Parliament demands new prime minister to establish order
- Anti-government protesters storm Pakistan state television station and 'beat journalists'
- Russia threatens NATO as it warns it is updating its military doctrine
- Jenny Sanford asks judge to require her Rep. Mark Sanford to undergo psych evaluations
- 'Miracle' baby who was delivered by emergency c-section after his mom died from a brain hemorrhage leaves hospital six weeks later
- Australian man whose biological twin were born in Thailand via surrogate, charged with 10 counts of sexually abusing his children
- L'Wren Scott beams at the only wedding dress she would ever make
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Boston has the worst drivers in America, according to Allstate America's Best Drivers Report
- SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: I've had my fill of your cuisine, says US envoy: Ambassador makes a dig at Britain with sly remark about traditional roast lamb (...and says he prefers Ferrero Rocher)
- Barack Obama urged to take decisive action against ISIS
- Iraqi TV's cartoon satire on terror, ISIS, and jihadis
- Revealed: David Bowie's first US tour was a disaster because he forgot to get a work visa and couldn't play gigs
- Did iCloud's 'Find My iPhone' function help hackers steal celebrities' 'nude' photos? Flaw may have exposed hundreds of images
- Ashya's grandmother condemns police for forcing 5-year-old to remain alone in Spanish hospital
- Would YOU pay $400 for the iWatch? Apple's wearable tech will cost significantly more than its competitors, reports claim
- Ansa app deletes your texts remotely from FRIEND'S phones
- WATCH: The 3D-printed 'bump keys' that can open almost ANY lock in seconds
- 'If I want to I can take Kiev in a fortnight': Putin's threat to Europe revealed by EU boss as Ukraine loses control of key airport
- Caught in the nick of time: Man dashes fully-clothed into a lake to save his drone from the water after it runs out of battery