Has MH370 finally been found? China releases satellite image of suspected crash site in the South China Sea... where rescuers first started looking
- Chinese satellite imagery has been released which shows the 'suspected crash site' of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370
- The images appear to show three large pieces of debris - the largest of which is 78-feet by 72-feet
- The satellite captured the images on March 9 - the day after the crash - but they were only released on Wednesday
By James Nye
PUBLISHED: 16:19 EST, 12 March 2014 | UPDATED: 16:55 EST, 12 March 2014
A Chinese satellite searching for missing Malaysian Airlines flight 370 has found what it is calling a 'suspected crash area at sea' - releasing images of what they are describing as three 'large, floating, objects' in the South China Sea.
The potentially crucial development comes on the fifth day of the search for the Boeing 777 - which seemingly vanished without trace early on Saturday morning.
China's State Administration for Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense announced the discovery of the images in the are where rescuers first started looking on Saturday - along with other images of what appear to show an oil slick tracing the surrounding area.
Location? This image released by Chinese authorities potentially shows a large crash site of what could be Malaysian Airlines Flight 370
Debris: The crucial discovery of the debris was made on March 9 - the day after Malaysian Airlines flight 370 went missing - but were only released on Wednesday
The images were captured on March 9 - the day after the plane went missing, but were somehow not released until Wednesday.
CNN are reporting the Chinese satellite images reveal three pieces of debris, the biggest 78-feet by 72-feet.
The location of the suspected debris is half way between Malaysia and Vietnam close to the expected flight path of the aircraft which mysteriously disappeared at 1.30 am on Saturday morning.
However, despite the potentially pivotal release of the images, this is not the first time that authorities have announced they were examining an oil slick or floating objects that could be linked to the missing airliner.
Floating: These images from the Chinese satellite dated March 9 appear to show what could be fuel resting on the surface of the South China Sea and were taken in the zone where the three pieces of large debris were recorded
The Chinese science agency provided coordinates of 105.63 east longitude, 6.7 north latitude, which would put the unidentified debris in waters just northeast of where it took off in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
One former US aviation official said that the images represent the first and only solid lead that matches the Boeing 777's original flight path.
'These images are the first solid piece of evidence we have that they were on the correct flight path,' said Peter Goelz, the former managing director of the US federal National Transportation Safety Board to CNN.
The US Navy will be deploying two navy vessels to the area, Commander William Marks told the cable news network.
The highlighted area is where the Chinese satellite identified the three pieces of debris floating in the waters of the South China Sea
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Forget Street View, explore the world in SPACE view: Interactive map plots every image taken by astronauts on board the ISS
Dave MacLean of the Centre of Geographic Sciences in Nova Scotia has made an interactive space image mapThe map compiles images from tweets sent by ...
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Australian man who worked to free kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls tells how they snatched by ANOTHER gang straight after
- NYPD faces SECOND investigation after 45-year-old man's death is ruled a homicide...and linked to 'protective body wrap' performed by officers
- Princess Diana's 'DIY security team' led to 'tragic outcome' night of her death, says French policeman
- 'Yay lol, someone getting poz that day': Chilling text of landscape architect related to Cesar Chavez accused of intentionally spreading HIv to at least TWO DOZEN men and then bragging about it to friends
- Public relations agent for Yoko Ono is suing celebrity chef Mario Batali's eatery Eataly for $10million because 'bouncers shouted homophobic slurs and hurled him through a glass window'
- Chelsea Clinton quits her 'special correspondent' role at NBC
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Slice of history! Piece of Princess Diana's 33-year-old wedding cake goes for $1,375
- Chris Lollie was Tasered by cops for refusing to give his name while waiting for his kids after school
- Heart-stopping moment a brazen car thief steals an SUV with 10-month-old baby girl on the back seat as distressed father chases them down the street screaming
- Retired sheriff's deputy with ALS charged with murdering his wife and sister-in-law just days after they and his friends raised $23,000 towards his care with the ice bucket challenge
- High-tech Florida Polytechnic University opens BOOKLESS library...but students can access over 135,000 ebooks on electronic devices
- Toddler who became internet sensation after video of her swearing while doing the ice bucket challenge says sorry
- Obama REFUSES to call 1,000 Russian troops and tanks in Ukraine an 'invasion'
- Miss Universe and Miss USA help Donald Trump for Ice Bucket Challenge
- Woman butchered heavily pregnant mother-to-be with a kitchen knife and then tried to remove her baby from the womb before admitting everything to police in chilling confession
- Scientists discover what makes a good wine go bad
- Apple's iWatch will not go on sale until 2015
- 'It would be an honor to join ISIS and become a citizen of the caliphate,' says former US Army psychiatrist who killed 13 in shooting spree at Fort Hood
- Willy Wonka chapter that was missing for 50 years reveals grisly end of greedy boys who disappear in fudge cutting room
- Marisa Tomei, Hugh Grant go to school in 'Rewrite' trailer
- 'Introducing the brand new mini!' Dad's inspired baby announcement in the style of an Apple product launch that comes complete with 'iPoop and iSleep'
- Jealous hippo breaks out of her zoo enclosure after her 'plunge pool' is shut down and is found looking longingly into her neighbour's
- Dogs EATING corpses of Ebola victims in Liberia after health teams pile bodies into shallow grave in the middle of the night after locals refused permission to use the land
- He's all smiles at last! Teen cancer survivor fitted with dentures after GoFundMe campaign raises more than $11,000 in less than ONE DAY for dental procedure not covered by insurance
- Russia hits back at Canada after sarcastic tweet mocked its excuse that troops 'accidentally' ended up in Ukraine
- E-Type Jag roars past Mini and Porsche 911 as the world's greatest car: Eight cars in the top ten are British including Rolls Royces and Aston Martins
- Dog stays by grave of owner for weeks after Indian teen killed in car crash
- Skin cancer rates rising fastest in older men
- Joan Rivers' daughter Melissa is an 'emotional wreck' as she waits for news
- Baking Bad for Buffett: Billionaire investor surprised with incredible birthday cake celebrating his favorite show complete with Jesse and Heisenberg cupcakes
- Cee Lo Green pleads no contest in drug case
- Almost a dozen men from Minnesota are fighting with ISIS in Syria, say officials
- Veteran police officer Lieutenant Ray Albers who was filmed threatening to kill Ferguson protesters resigns
- Brandi Brandt jailed as part of drugs ring which hid cocaine in plane toilets
- Two women arrested for beating to death artist, 65, 'with brass knuckles' as he waited for a metro while running errands
- 'Barney Fife is in charge': Obama under fire and Pentagon furious for 'we don't have a strategy' gaffe
'Yay lol, someone getting poz that day': Chilling text of landscape architect related to Cesar Chavez accused of intentionally spreading HIv to at least TWO DOZEN men and then bragging about it to friends (0)
Sweatpants with dress shoes, plaid blazers - and some VERY tiny shorts: No it's not New York Fashion Week, it's the 20 worst presidential style gaffes (and Obama's tan suit doesn't even make the top five) (0)
Why EVERY woman moans about the size of her breasts: The late NORA EPHRON was the razor sharp writer behind When Harry Met Sally. Now the Mail's serialising a joyous collection of her wittiest work (0)