Has MH370 finally been found? China releases satellite image of suspected crash site in the South China Sea... where rescuers first started looking
- Chinese satellite imagery has been released which shows the 'suspected crash site' of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370
- The images appear to show three large pieces of debris - the largest of which is 78-feet by 72-feet
- The satellite captured the images on March 9 - the day after the crash - but they were only released on Wednesday
By James Nye
PUBLISHED: 16:19 EST, 12 March 2014 | UPDATED: 16:55 EST, 12 March 2014
A Chinese satellite searching for missing Malaysian Airlines flight 370 has found what it is calling a 'suspected crash area at sea' - releasing images of what they are describing as three 'large, floating, objects' in the South China Sea.
The potentially crucial development comes on the fifth day of the search for the Boeing 777 - which seemingly vanished without trace early on Saturday morning.
China's State Administration for Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense announced the discovery of the images in the are where rescuers first started looking on Saturday - along with other images of what appear to show an oil slick tracing the surrounding area.
Location? This image released by Chinese authorities potentially shows a large crash site of what could be Malaysian Airlines Flight 370
Debris: The crucial discovery of the debris was made on March 9 - the day after Malaysian Airlines flight 370 went missing - but were only released on Wednesday
The images were captured on March 9 - the day after the plane went missing, but were somehow not released until Wednesday.
CNN are reporting the Chinese satellite images reveal three pieces of debris, the biggest 78-feet by 72-feet.
The location of the suspected debris is half way between Malaysia and Vietnam close to the expected flight path of the aircraft which mysteriously disappeared at 1.30 am on Saturday morning.
However, despite the potentially pivotal release of the images, this is not the first time that authorities have announced they were examining an oil slick or floating objects that could be linked to the missing airliner.
Floating: These images from the Chinese satellite dated March 9 appear to show what could be fuel resting on the surface of the South China Sea and were taken in the zone where the three pieces of large debris were recorded
The Chinese science agency provided coordinates of 105.63 east longitude, 6.7 north latitude, which would put the unidentified debris in waters just northeast of where it took off in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
One former US aviation official said that the images represent the first and only solid lead that matches the Boeing 777's original flight path.
'These images are the first solid piece of evidence we have that they were on the correct flight path,' said Peter Goelz, the former managing director of the US federal National Transportation Safety Board to CNN.
The US Navy will be deploying two navy vessels to the area, Commander William Marks told the cable news network.
The highlighted area is where the Chinese satellite identified the three pieces of debris floating in the waters of the South China Sea
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
Female surfer Tyler Wright was competing at Cronulla - in Sydney's southShe was competing at the Australian Boardriders Battle National FinalThe 20-year-old was going back ...
- Miss Colombia Paulina Vega crowned Miss Universe
- 'Downton Abbey' cast wins SAG Award for Best Ensemble in a TV Drama
- Snowboarder, 20, SURVIVES three nights in icy backcountry after it took days for anybody to realize she had gone missing
- Johnny Depp, Gwyneth Paltrow play 'Never Have I Ever' on 'Ellen'
- Julianne Moore, Eddie Redmayne, 'Birdman' win SAG Awards for film
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Mom releases footage of daughter being kicked on bus to shame Florida school
- Thousands march in cities across Pakistan in protest against Charlie Hebdo for publishing cartoons of Prophet Mohammed
- Don't tell Tiger: Lindsey Vonn wins a kiss from a fan as she races to victory in final test before world championships
- Sofia Vergara shows off engagement ring, fiancé Joe Manganiello at SAG Awards
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Queens father 'kills daughter, girlfriend and mother-in-law in mass murder-suicide'
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Terms of Service
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Bill Nye the Science Guy debunks Patriots coach Bill Belichick's 'nonsensical' Deflategate theory
- NFL fines Seattle Seahawks player $20K for grabbing crotch during a game then sells photos of the gesture online
- Senate leader McConnell calls previous Congress 'dysfunctional' as GOP comrade Boehner defends decision to go behind Democrats' back with Netanyahu invite
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Gavin DeGraw to perform at the Miss Universe Pageant
- Raleigh Freshman is FOURTH student to be found dead at North Carolina college
- Tom Brady, Deflategate tackled on 'Saturday Night Live'
- Record number of firearms found in carry-on luggage at US airports
- Paramedics save man after his heart stops beating on United Airlines flight
- Joe Franklin, New York TV and radio icon, dead at 88
- Five footballers from east London who quit UK to transfer to ISIS in Syria linked to Jihadi John
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Bradley Cooper is bringing 'The Elephant Man' to London
- Am I Going Down app calculates chances of flight crashing
- Would you lather your face in lard It sounds revolting but devotees swear its the secret to softer skin
- Remorseless killer of 11-year-old girl gets early release after serving just HALF of 50-year sentence
- Kylie Jenner says she is still studying for her high-school diploma
- Courtney Love and daughter Frances Bean Cobain reunite at Sundance
- 'Birdman,' 'Fargo' win Producers Guild of America Awards
- Matthew Beard, Reese Witherspoon to be SAG Awards presenters
- Sheriff BLASTS Al Sharpton for Michael Brown and Ferguson protesters support
- Hasty Pudding Institute to honor music producer Clive Davis
- Sony delays earnings report after hacking scandal
- Blind mom Kathy Beitz able to see newborn son for first time using eSight glasses
- Shooting at Home Depot store in New York City leaves at least one dead
- Dog saves cat trapped by a paper cup!
- Female Marine who died in helicopter crash was highly decorated Afghan veteran