Father who raped daughter since was 3 years old then fled to Europe is finally convicted
- Frank K.C. Hertel and his wife fled Arizona before the trial and lived a secret life in Germany
- His daughter and victim Heather Orr tracked Hertel down to a bar he was running after seeing a news article about her grandfather being arrested
- Hertel sobbed an apology to his daughter Heather Orr at his sentencing in an Ohio court on Tuesday
- Mrs Orr, 31, told the court: 'I love my dad because he's my dad but he hurt me more than anyone could imagine'
- Her husband Daniel Orr told the court his wife 'had lost her childhood' and begged the judge to send Hertel away for a long time
- Hertel sentenced to up to 95 years in prison and will not be up for parole for 20 years
By Louise Boyle
PUBLISHED: 16:48 EST, 6 March 2014 | UPDATED: 17:14 EST, 6 March 2014
A father who fled the U.S. before he could face trial for molesting his daughter has finally been sentenced in central Ohio after she tracked him down.
Frank K.C. Hertel and his wife Judy, the girl's mother, fled Arizona before his trial in 2000 and lived a secret life in Germany for nine years before his adult daughter Heather Orr tracked him down in 2009.
Hertel had used his brother's identity to take loans from the German government and run a bar and grill. They refused to allow Mrs Orr's brother to contact her.
Scroll down for video
Frank Hertel, 51, fled to Germany with his wife before he could be tried in 2000 for raping his daughter from the age of three
Heather Orr has revealed her identity saying that she wanted to give a face and a name to victims of rape
The rapist father sobbed in court as he turned to face daughter Heather (pictured right) and apologize
The pedophile was finally captured thanks to the detective work of Mrs Orr herself.
Mertel was extradited to the U.S. in 2009 after his daughter who he abused tracked him down running a bar in Germany
In 2009, she typed her abusive father's name into Google and found a news article about her grandfather, who shares the same name, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
Hertel Senior had been arrested on tax evasion at Heathrow Airport in London after he allegedly owed $1.2million to the Canadian government.
Comments had been made about the Hertel family at the bottom of the article and Mrs Orr contacted people by email to see if they knew more about her father.
A website for a bar and grill revealed that her father was the owner and someone sent her a picture of her brother standing outside the business.
Hertel was extradited back to the United States in 2009, and in 2012 he was convicted in Arizona and sentenced to 20 years for child molestation.
On Tuesday, the 51-year-old Hertel was sentenced to serve between 19 and 95 years in prison for assaulting his daughter during their time in Ohio. He pleaded guilty to the charges.
Hertel admitted in court that between 1993 and 1995, he raped and molested a female relative under the age of 13, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
Hertel doubles up sobbing in court as he was sentenced to 19 to 95years in jail for raping his daughter. It will be 20 years before he is up for parole
moved his family to Arizona where he continued to abuse his daughter.
He was charged and found guilty in 2001 of the crimes but fled the
Before he was sentenced, the judge allowed Hertel a chance to speak before the Delaware court.
to his feet, he faced his daughter and in a high-pitched wail, sobbed:
'I'm terrible sorry' adding that he wanted his victim to have 'closure'.
Mrs Orr, 31, who is married and has an 11-year-old daughter, faced her abuser in court and revealed her identity.
Heather Orr was comforted by her husband Daniel in court, who called his wife a 'hero not a victim'
She said: 'I wish more than anything
that a stranger did this to me. I love my dad because he's my dad but he
hurt me more than anyone could imagine.'
She added that she now has an 11-year-old daughter, the age she was when the sexual abuse she suffered was at its worst.
Mrs Orr's testimony to the court was interrupted by Hertel's cries of 'I'm so sorry Heather.'
The married mother said that the only thing her father was remorseful about was being caught and sent to prison.
Mertel will spend decades in jail for the molestation of his daughter which began when she was just three years old
Mrs Orr's husband Daniel described his
wife as a 'hero, not a victim' and took the stand to ask the judge to put Hertel away
for a very long time.
He said: 'She lost her childhood. She should never have had to face anything that she faced.'
Outside of the courtroom Mrs Orr told NBC4: 'I want to give a face and a name to women, I want them to stand up and say this is not right what is happening to children and women who are abused.'
Hertel pleaded guilty to three counts of rape and two counts of gross sexual imposition in Delaware, north of Columbus.
He faces 19 to 95 years in prison. It will be 20 years before he is up for parole.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
U.S. Justice Department are reportedly not likely to file civil rights charges Issue is whether Darren Wilson had reason to believe he was in dangerHe shot ...
- Conservative school board votes to remove information about contraception from a biology book because it flouts state law
- Suspect Robert Falcon charged with murdering celebrity tattoo artist Trigz
- Claudia Schiffer rocks sexy leopard-print catsuit at Jonathan Ross' annual Halloween party
- Heidi Klum spreads her wings and takes flight in a colourfully buggy costume for her annual Halloween bash
- Men whose parents didn't go to university earn 20% less than sons of graduates even when they hold the same qualifications
- Michael Jordan calls President Obama a 's***ty golfer'
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Neymar sends private jet to collect model Soraja Vucelic
- Derek Ward who beheaded his mother and kicked it along New York street pictured
- JDI Dating Ltd fined for using fake computer-generated profiles to trick users
- LeBron James makes Cleveland Cavaliers return in New York Knicks defeat
- Taking creepy to new heights: New app lets you Facebook stalk your fellow passengers before boarding a plane
- Motion-detecting toilet lights up to ensure men never miss the bowl in the middle of the night
- 5 California University of Pennsylvania college football players charged in assault
- Three teenage girls killed in hit-and-run while trick-or-treating in California
- How a Facebook post led police to an arrest in a three-year-old murder
- Zombie schoolgirls, killer clowns and ... EBOLA: Hazmat suits and disease quarantine centers take center stage at annual NYC Halloween Parade
- We are NOT nutty survivalists, says Ebola's Dr Prepper: Medical 'lunatics' stocking up on Hazmat suits insist THEY are the only normal ones
- Democrats face race-baiting storm over advertisements in South that say: Vote 'to prevent another Ferguson'
- President Barack Obama on brink of worst successive midterm losses in 64 years
- Russian customs staff in hot water after opening luggage belonging to 80s pop band Roxette and posing for photos with their instruments
- CDC pulls poster explaining how Ebola can be spread by contaminated droplets
- Belarus town on Polish border discovers buildings were built using Jewish tombstones
- Scientists develop formula that neutralises ANY odour
- Barbie themed hotel room in Hilton Buenos Aires comes complete with pink catwalk
- Deadline claims to use Apple's HealthKit data to count down to your demise
- Man drags his dead girlfriend's body into his house after fatal car accident
- Google to pay Canadian woman for showing her cleavage on Street View
- Woman, 31, 'breaks into the home of her husband's friend in a night gown, strips off and sexually assaults him while he sleeps'
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- How pilots watched their friend die: Virgin Galactic astronauts in mid-air launch plane return to relieved families after separating minutes before doomed spacecraft exploded
- See adorable animals dressed up for Halloween
- Virgin Galactic spaceship has in-flight problem
- What do you get for Halloween when you knock on the door of the White House? Obamas hand out Hershey's Kisses, homemade butter cookies and jellybeans to 4,500 trick-or-treaters at south lawn special ... but forget their costumes!
- Fingerprints are not covered by the Fifth Amendment: Court ruling could mean police could have greater access to a defendant's iPhone or iPad using their touch ID - but it's protected if they have a passcode
- 'The operation is safe': says doctor behind Tiny Harris' eye implant
- Phoenix Suns players left terrified as DINOSAUR jumps out on them when they arrive for training
- How many calories are in YOUR favourite drink?
- As Facebook reinstates banned breastfeeding photograph FEMAIL asks: Is there one rule for celebrity mothers and another for normal women?
- Parachutist rescued from Missouri TV tower after two hours spent dangling 155 feet in the air in base jump gone wrong
- France's niqab ban is PRAISED by Afghanistan's new First Lady Rula Ghani
- Thanksgiving revolt! More stores deciding NOT to open on Thursday and wait for Friday sales
- Are YOUR sexual fantasies normal? New study reveals what most of us think of
- Birmingham, Alabama man, 18, arrested for robbing FOUR Subways because diet didn't work
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Sobbing sister of the lover Jodi Arias murdered tells the court she is ahunted by image of her brother's decomposing body slumped in his bathroom
- Amazing aerial photos show river of lava on the verge of splitting Hawaiian town in two
- 'I wanted to kill him': Grandmother who had custody of Anna when she accused Mama June's boyfriend of sexually abusing her speaks out - and says she now fears for Honey Boo Boo
- Former Florida A&M band member Dante Martin found GUILTY of manslaughter in drum major's hazing death