Father who raped daughter since was 3 years old then fled to Europe is finally convicted
- Frank K.C. Hertel and his wife fled Arizona before the trial and lived a secret life in Germany
- His daughter and victim Heather Orr tracked Hertel down to a bar he was running after seeing a news article about her grandfather being arrested
- Hertel sobbed an apology to his daughter Heather Orr at his sentencing in an Ohio court on Tuesday
- Mrs Orr, 31, told the court: 'I love my dad because he's my dad but he hurt me more than anyone could imagine'
- Her husband Daniel Orr told the court his wife 'had lost her childhood' and begged the judge to send Hertel away for a long time
- Hertel sentenced to up to 95 years in prison and will not be up for parole for 20 years
By Louise Boyle
PUBLISHED: 16:48 EST, 6 March 2014 | UPDATED: 17:14 EST, 6 March 2014
A father who fled the U.S. before he could face trial for molesting his daughter has finally been sentenced in central Ohio after she tracked him down.
Frank K.C. Hertel and his wife Judy, the girl's mother, fled Arizona before his trial in 2000 and lived a secret life in Germany for nine years before his adult daughter Heather Orr tracked him down in 2009.
Hertel had used his brother's identity to take loans from the German government and run a bar and grill. They refused to allow Mrs Orr's brother to contact her.
Scroll down for video
Frank Hertel, 51, fled to Germany with his wife before he could be tried in 2000 for raping his daughter from the age of three
Heather Orr has revealed her identity saying that she wanted to give a face and a name to victims of rape
The rapist father sobbed in court as he turned to face daughter Heather (pictured right) and apologize
The pedophile was finally captured thanks to the detective work of Mrs Orr herself.
Mertel was extradited to the U.S. in 2009 after his daughter who he abused tracked him down running a bar in Germany
In 2009, she typed her abusive father's name into Google and found a news article about her grandfather, who shares the same name, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
Hertel Senior had been arrested on tax evasion at Heathrow Airport in London after he allegedly owed $1.2million to the Canadian government.
Comments had been made about the Hertel family at the bottom of the article and Mrs Orr contacted people by email to see if they knew more about her father.
A website for a bar and grill revealed that her father was the owner and someone sent her a picture of her brother standing outside the business.
Hertel was extradited back to the United States in 2009, and in 2012 he was convicted in Arizona and sentenced to 20 years for child molestation.
On Tuesday, the 51-year-old Hertel was sentenced to serve between 19 and 95 years in prison for assaulting his daughter during their time in Ohio. He pleaded guilty to the charges.
Hertel admitted in court that between 1993 and 1995, he raped and molested a female relative under the age of 13, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
Hertel doubles up sobbing in court as he was sentenced to 19 to 95years in jail for raping his daughter. It will be 20 years before he is up for parole
moved his family to Arizona where he continued to abuse his daughter.
He was charged and found guilty in 2001 of the crimes but fled the
Before he was sentenced, the judge allowed Hertel a chance to speak before the Delaware court.
to his feet, he faced his daughter and in a high-pitched wail, sobbed:
'I'm terrible sorry' adding that he wanted his victim to have 'closure'.
Mrs Orr, 31, who is married and has an 11-year-old daughter, faced her abuser in court and revealed her identity.
Heather Orr was comforted by her husband Daniel in court, who called his wife a 'hero not a victim'
She said: 'I wish more than anything
that a stranger did this to me. I love my dad because he's my dad but he
hurt me more than anyone could imagine.'
She added that she now has an 11-year-old daughter, the age she was when the sexual abuse she suffered was at its worst.
Mrs Orr's testimony to the court was interrupted by Hertel's cries of 'I'm so sorry Heather.'
The married mother said that the only thing her father was remorseful about was being caught and sent to prison.
Mertel will spend decades in jail for the molestation of his daughter which began when she was just three years old
Mrs Orr's husband Daniel described his
wife as a 'hero, not a victim' and took the stand to ask the judge to put Hertel away
for a very long time.
He said: 'She lost her childhood. She should never have had to face anything that she faced.'
Outside of the courtroom Mrs Orr told NBC4: 'I want to give a face and a name to women, I want them to stand up and say this is not right what is happening to children and women who are abused.'
Hertel pleaded guilty to three counts of rape and two counts of gross sexual imposition in Delaware, north of Columbus.
He faces 19 to 95 years in prison. It will be 20 years before he is up for parole.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Pictured: Smiling grandmother who was beheaded by Muslim convert in Oklahoma just months after losing her home in tornado
Colleen Hufford, 54, killed last Thursday in apparent ISIS-style beheadingGrandmother's family and friends have set up a tribute page on FacebookPost reads: 'She was beautiful soul ...
- Boy born without a face helped by woman who read of his plight on Facebook
- Married high school math teacher, 27, charged with repeatedly having sex with underage male student
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Yoga that makes joints worse... and other health fads experts say do more harm than good
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Utah family found dead by son under mysterious circumstances
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Body of Arkansas' Beverly Carter found as Arron Lewis faces murder charge
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Mikie Sawyer punched man after he asked him to stop cursing in an Applebee's
- Mother of Oklahoma beheading suspect apologizes to victims in Facebook video, but insists 'there are two sides to every story'
- HALF the world's wild animals have disappeared in 40 years: Humankind held responsible as familiar species lose battle for survival
- Dallas patient put into isolation for testing after returning from a region plagued by Ebola and showing signs of the deadly virus
- 'We will make some attacks in New York soon': Canadian jihadist claims ISIS 'prepared to right now to make' U.S. strike
- A new golf war! Police called to Rory McIlroy's hometown after locals report 'Arabic' emblem flying above resident's home... but it was in fact an EU flag to celebrate Ryder Cup victory
- Meet the man who is spending seven weeks dining on four bowls of pasta a day with his all-you-can-eat Olive Garden card...and claims he feels 'healthy and alert' after finishing first week
- Japanese show launches new group the Happening Girls who you can DATE
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Dr Ana Maria Gonzalez-Angulo given 10 years in prison for poisoning lover
- Alton Nolen 'felt oppressed at work over not getting a raise'
- How commercial trucking has become the 'deadliest job in America' due to driver fatigue and lax regulation leaving a wake of casulaties
- Muslim Husain Abdullah penalized by NFL for praying as celebration
- Arron Lewis stalked woman just a few months ago
- Mother of 4 dies after being targeted and shot by unknown man while out walking her dog
- Police nab suspect who led them on high-speed chase thanks to his too-strong COLOGNE
- Are you Good2Go? New app allows users to give 'consent' prior to sex... while logging the name and number of their partner
- The girl with the 9lb HAIRBALL: Massive blockage meant teenager couldn't even drink a glass of water
- Execution of Iranian woman due to be hanged for killing man who 'raped her' is postponed at the last minute after calling her mother to say goodbye
- Terms of Service
- Ready to look cute: Magic Johnsons son and star of RichKids of Beverly Hills undergoes gastric sleeve surgery to slim down
- 3-year-old boy weighs 11 STONE due to syndrome that means he can't stop eating
- Lightwater Valley rollercoaster decapitates DEER covering passengers in blood
- Daughter gets life in foster mom's stabbing death
- Depression: Can holding a magnet against your head help defeat depression?
- Missing Idaho woman found disoriented 2,000 miles away in small Mississippi town where her father was a minister in the 1960s
- Generous couple leave $100 tip to server with a sweet note despite 'terrible service during their anniversary meal'
- Predator Pursuit's Jeff Thompson lands record-sized shark with a BOW AND ARROW
- Meet 'Hunter': The American man fighting for pro-Russian rebels in Eastern Ukraine (but he only speaks English and has 'limited' understanding of the political conflict)
- Tourists miraculously escape from upturned car after vehicle plunged into swollen river when part of bridge collapsed
- North Dakota student Thomas Bearson remembered as hunt for killer continues
- Oklahoma man charged with murder in beheading