Black Forest residents: voters need to sort out address issues to vote
Black Forest fire victims are figuring out how to get their voting registration sorted out before it's too late.
The election for the Black Forest Fire Board is a little more than a month away. It's a story we broke Monday night (3/31/14) on KRDO NewsChannel 13 at 10:00.
The El Paso County Clerk and Recorder says some Black Forest residents may have inadvertently disqualified themselves from voting.
Next month's Black Forest Fire Board election is mail-in ballot only.
"Everybody needs to be aware that they're not just going to send it to any address. It has to be an address in the forest,” said homeowner Anthony David.
David says he always votes we he can. He and less than 200 others cast a ballot in the last election, but this year David says his vote matters more after he lost his home in the Black Forest fire last summer.
"It's a big deal. This election especially because… a lot of people have lost a lot of confidence in the fire board or the fire department in the way it's being run right now,” said David.
New election laws now say ballots can't be forwarded to new addresses like other mail.
"I absolutely have to figure it out because voting is very important to me, especially on the issue, the issues that are on hand,” said Black Forest resident Michelle Andree.
Seven candidates are running for three positions on the fire board.
"They're dictating policy. I want to make sure that they understand what can happen in a wildfire and what they need to do to get in front of it."
There are two options to make sure you receive a mail-in ballot: click here or visit one of the Clerk and Recorder’s Offices. Your residential address has to be in Black Forest. Your mailing address can be your temporary home.
"If everybody can get the message out that everybody needs to check that their vote can count, then we can be rest assured that the community has a voice."
See below for information provided by the El Paso County Clerk and Recorder's Office in a press release on how to verify voter information:
"Displaced Black Forest residents living in a temporary home but who intend to move back to their Black Forest address -- and therefore could be eligible to vote in the Black Forest Fire/Rescue Protection District election -- must have their Black Forest address listed as their residential address. In order to receive a mail ballot for the May 6 election, they must have their temporary address listed only as their mailing address.
Some displaced citizens have changed their voter registration to show both "Residence" and "Mailing" as their temporary address. They will not receive a ballot unless "Residence" shows their Black Forest home. Other displaced citizens have not updated their voter registration at all. Since there may be no mail delivery to a destroyed residence in Black Forest, they may not receive a ballot.
Voters should go to the website www.GoVoteColorado.com or come to one of the Clerk and Recorder offices to update their voter registration. This must be done by 11:59 p.m. on April 14 in order to receive a mail ballot for the election.
Black Forest voters who do not meet this deadline to update their registration may still be able to receive a ballot. From April 14 through May 5, Monday-Friday, between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., those voters can go to Black Forest Fire Station One (11445 Teachout Road) to fill out a "Request for Mail Ballot" form. The fire district's Designated Election Official will issue ballot packets to voters who are eligible to vote in the Black Forest Fire/Rescue Protection District Board Election.
It is also important to note if you place an address change with the USPS, that information will be received by the Clerk and Recorder's Office and your voter registration will be updated using this information under the requirements of a new state law. To avoid that from occurring, please contact our office immediately and we will provide you with additional information on how to prevent this from happening in the future.
The Black Forest Fire/Rescue Protection District election is conducted by the Designated Election Official for the district. The Clerk and Recorder's Office is assisting in disseminating information to the public in conjunction with the Public Information Officer for the district to ensure all Black Forest displaced voters have an opportunity to vote in the May 6 election."
- Man who contracted the BUBONIC PLAGUE from his cat speaks about the ordeal that left him at death's door
- Woman cuts out tattoo of ex-boyfriend’s name and sends skin to him in the post
- Expert describes effect of missile hit on MH17
- 'My son saved his attacker's life': Father who pounded admitted child molester into a 'bloody puddle' claims son stopped him from stabbing admitted pedophile to death
- New reality show Little Women LA hit by legal trouble before premiere
- Jimi Hendrix' former girlfriend slams upcoming biopic of the rock and roll star that includes scenes of brutal domestic violence as 'completely made up'
- Scientists discover the new black: British researchers devise material so dark it looks like a black hole
- Meet the seven women of Bravo's 'Ladies of London' whose drinking, cat fighting, royal name dropping and even labor scenes are coming to TV
- Couple's stunning Icelandic wedding photos have gone viral
- 'Narcissistic loony toon': What Hillary Clinton REALLY thought of Monica Lewinsky revealed in new secret papers - and she moaned about 'whiney women'
- Adios England: Agony and despair as Uruguay's 2-1 victory destroys virtually any hope of going through to the next stage of World Cup
- Incredible rise from poverty of New York Ballet Theatre's second-ever black soloist
- Philip Seymour Hoffman split from partner Mimi O'Donnell in troubled last months
- 'Basically, I was against all white people.' Hoops superstar Michael Jordan admitted he turned racist when a girl at school called him a 'n****r,' new book reveals
- Despair in Miami: Heat fans mourn the loss of 'King James' to his 'home' in Cleveland by vandalizing mural featuring LeBron's face that took two years to create
- MH17 eyewitness accounts emerge of the horror that unfolded at crash site
- Yes, yes, YES! Woman experience TWO types of orgasm, sonographs reveal
- Katie Cleary's husband Andrew Stern filed for divorce just weeks ago before killing himself at shooting range
- Man who spent 26 years in prison for murder he didn't commit finally exonerated after DNA evidence from the 1982 homicide proves he's an innocent man
- Germany's WAGs invade pitch after World Cup win and carry on partying all night
- Parents who lost three children on MH17 flight tell of agony
- Two-legged stray dog gives birth to four puppies in China (and their legs are all in order!)
- Pueblo West Metro Board: No more pot
- American party girl ditches the cocktails for COW PAT CAKES to fly across the world and become a traditional housewife in rural India after meeting her husband on Facebook
- Vladimir Putin gets 48 hour ultimatum over MH17 crash site
- Is this the end of the VPL? Miraculous STRAPLESS G-string adheres to your skin to let you go nearly-commando
- Kate Middleton pictured wearing bracelet available through her parents' website
- Magaluf: The island where British girls sell their bodies for cash
- 'It was a bigger deal for her than me': Neurofibromatosis sufferer beats prejudice to film nude with Scarlett Johansson
- WATCH: Grandmother records couple having sex on public beach
- 'He was the intended target': Police in Florida admit they are baffled by murder of Harvard-educated professor Dan Markel after divorced father-of-two shot dead in apparent 'assassination'
- So poignant, lost children of Flight MH17: Smiling happily in family snapshots, some of the innocent victims of the tragedy
- Tearful Leno says goodbye after 22 years as Obama and host of stars pay tribute on his final show
- Police release pictures of clothes girl, 15, was wearing when she went missing before mysteriously reappearing nine months later
- Jonie the pit bull carries her injured Chihuahua 'soul mate' Chachi to safety and now they're in need of a loving owner
- Walking on bloated grass: Alabama woman 'surfs' on lawn after major rainfall makes her backyard FLOAT
- Goldman Sachs managing director Nicholas Valtz, 39, found dead after kiteboarding outing
- Walking in New York? You're probably near a millionaire! Study reveals 1 in 25 Big Apple residents makes seven figures
- Shyima Hall opens up about being sold into slavery by her parents
- Vitiligo sufferer Chantelle Brown-Young lands spot on America's Next Top Model
- One Direction's luxury homes are a world away from the modest houses they grew up in
- Zayn Malik heads out of Essex club after 'feeling unwell inside'
- Friends shocked after aspiring fashionista, 27, is shot dead by her elementary school teacher boyfriend in murder-suicide
- Paul Simon and Edie Brickell's daughter speaks out following parents' arrest
- 'I know my time is limited': Newly crowned NFL cheerleader, 40, reveals incurable kidney disease has already claimed the lives of family members
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Rachel Canning got so drunk at attorney's home that she 'threw up in garbage can'
- 'I can do anything if I put my mind to it. It's just different than how I used to': Teen who had fingers amputated after passing out in subzero temperatures following a night of drinking begins her recovery
- 'I miss my girl': Emotional text messages from date of girl who was found dead in their hotel room after prom suggests she overdosed on prescription painkillers
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Judge rules Boulder County can continue issuing same-sex marriage licenses
- Judge again refuses to stop Boulder gay marriage
- Key moments in Pat Bowlen’s 30-year ownership of Broncos
- Colorado’s “Marijuana Millionaires”
- AFA training flight lands off course
- Man wakes up to find strange woman cooking breakfast in his kitchen
- Senior citizen arrested on suspicion of robbing Denver bank
- Reactions pour in to Pat Bowlen giving up control of Broncos
- It’s National Hot Dog Day
- In somber ceremony, Dutch welcome home first remains of MH17 victims