Black Forest residents: voters need to sort out address issues to vote
Black Forest fire victims are figuring out how to get their voting registration sorted out before it's too late.
The election for the Black Forest Fire Board is a little more than a month away. It's a story we broke Monday night (3/31/14) on KRDO NewsChannel 13 at 10:00.
The El Paso County Clerk and Recorder says some Black Forest residents may have inadvertently disqualified themselves from voting.
Next month's Black Forest Fire Board election is mail-in ballot only.
"Everybody needs to be aware that they're not just going to send it to any address. It has to be an address in the forest,” said homeowner Anthony David.
David says he always votes we he can. He and less than 200 others cast a ballot in the last election, but this year David says his vote matters more after he lost his home in the Black Forest fire last summer.
"It's a big deal. This election especially because… a lot of people have lost a lot of confidence in the fire board or the fire department in the way it's being run right now,” said David.
New election laws now say ballots can't be forwarded to new addresses like other mail.
"I absolutely have to figure it out because voting is very important to me, especially on the issue, the issues that are on hand,” said Black Forest resident Michelle Andree.
Seven candidates are running for three positions on the fire board.
"They're dictating policy. I want to make sure that they understand what can happen in a wildfire and what they need to do to get in front of it."
There are two options to make sure you receive a mail-in ballot: click here or visit one of the Clerk and Recorder’s Offices. Your residential address has to be in Black Forest. Your mailing address can be your temporary home.
"If everybody can get the message out that everybody needs to check that their vote can count, then we can be rest assured that the community has a voice."
See below for information provided by the El Paso County Clerk and Recorder's Office in a press release on how to verify voter information:
"Displaced Black Forest residents living in a temporary home but who intend to move back to their Black Forest address -- and therefore could be eligible to vote in the Black Forest Fire/Rescue Protection District election -- must have their Black Forest address listed as their residential address. In order to receive a mail ballot for the May 6 election, they must have their temporary address listed only as their mailing address.
Some displaced citizens have changed their voter registration to show both "Residence" and "Mailing" as their temporary address. They will not receive a ballot unless "Residence" shows their Black Forest home. Other displaced citizens have not updated their voter registration at all. Since there may be no mail delivery to a destroyed residence in Black Forest, they may not receive a ballot.
Voters should go to the website www.GoVoteColorado.com or come to one of the Clerk and Recorder offices to update their voter registration. This must be done by 11:59 p.m. on April 14 in order to receive a mail ballot for the election.
Black Forest voters who do not meet this deadline to update their registration may still be able to receive a ballot. From April 14 through May 5, Monday-Friday, between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., those voters can go to Black Forest Fire Station One (11445 Teachout Road) to fill out a "Request for Mail Ballot" form. The fire district's Designated Election Official will issue ballot packets to voters who are eligible to vote in the Black Forest Fire/Rescue Protection District Board Election.
It is also important to note if you place an address change with the USPS, that information will be received by the Clerk and Recorder's Office and your voter registration will be updated using this information under the requirements of a new state law. To avoid that from occurring, please contact our office immediately and we will provide you with additional information on how to prevent this from happening in the future.
The Black Forest Fire/Rescue Protection District election is conducted by the Designated Election Official for the district. The Clerk and Recorder's Office is assisting in disseminating information to the public in conjunction with the Public Information Officer for the district to ensure all Black Forest displaced voters have an opportunity to vote in the May 6 election."
- Woman under DUI probation writes criminalizing facebook post
- Man who contracted the BUBONIC PLAGUE from his cat speaks about the ordeal that left him at death's door
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- Boy, 11, has his hand torn off by a tiger at Brazilian zoo after his father let him climb over safety barrier and stroke it in its cage
- Obama hauls Central American leaders to White House to order them to stop immigration flood - but they blame HIM for 'ambiguous' policies
- Black Forest Fire Board: We will work with our fire chief
- Detroit man James Brown convicted of killing 4 women from escort site
- Father needed hospital treatment for three inch gash in his head after being attacked by his neighbour's cat because it hated his Hugo Boss AFTERSHAVE
- Scientists discover the new black: British researchers devise material so dark it looks like a black hole
- Missing pregnant criminology major Loretta Saunders found murdered on Canadian highway
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Prototype Pontiac Firebirds found in Connecticut garage
- Cornell Robinson, Devery Kelley accused of robbing pregnant woman in labor in Maryland
- New videos show alleged cases of excessive force at Denver Jail
- Business student 'posed on online dating sites as a high-flying engineer and architect to dupe love-struck women from around the world out of £186,000'
- Grieving parents hit with $200,000 bill for daughter's student loans after she died suddenly
- The moment 'Spider-Man' punches NYPD officer in Times Square -- and is brought down by two cops
- North Pole, Alaska, center of sick story Satanism and serial killers after Miranda Barbour, 19, confesses to 22 murders
- Florida woman pleads for return of sickly Yorkshire terrier stolen by armed gunmen
- Woman may never walk again after getting run over by angry mother she reported to police for leaving young son in hot car
- Terms of Service
- 'Condor' with 24-FOOT wingspan soared across the skies 28m years ago
- 'Israel should be investigated for war crimes in Gaza', UN says
- Cloaking devices could become a reality after scientists successfully build 'invisible' material using LIGHT
- Police hunting April Millsap's killer search sex offender Jame VanCallis' Michigan home
- Couple Sidney and Tammy Moorer Charged With Murder, Kidnapping Of Heather Elvis
- Peaches Geldof found dead at home
- Meet the seven women of Bravo's 'Ladies of London' whose drinking, cat fighting, royal name dropping and even labor scenes are coming to TV
- Is Hamas using human shields in Gaza? UN finds TWO stashes of rockets hidden in empty school next to makeshift housing for 3,000 displaced Palestinians
- The cardiologist who's BREAKING hearts: Serbian doctor swamped with patients feigning illness after winning bikini competition
- Two-legged stray dog gives birth to four puppies in China (and their legs are all in order!)
- Misspelled Troy Tulowitzki Colorado Rockies jerseys selling for up to $300
- Police search for armed suspects in SW Denver, lock down schools
- 'What have they got to hide?': Obama condemns Putin for failing to stop Russian-backed rebels from 'tampering' with evidence and bodies at MH17 crash site
- Shocking video footage shows Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice drag his girlfriend out of an Atlantic City casino elevator by her legs
- Scarlett Johansson speaks out over Woody Allen abuse claims ...as she labels Dylan Farrow's open letter 'irresponsible'
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Has Game of Thrones gone too far? Scene involving prostitutes shocks fans
- Fancy a spot of Beachobatics? Before going for a surf was the thing to do, there was Beach Acrobatics. Welcome to the fascinating 1930s craze which saw Sydneysiders using each others' bodies to create some incredible human shapes
- 'Of course they are wrong': Russia's ambassador to Malaysia says grieving MH17 families should NOT blame Putin for the mistreatment of their loved ones' bodies
- Millions of Muslims celebrate Eid to mark the end of Ramadan
- Yes, yes, YES! Woman experience TWO types of orgasm, sonographs reveal
- Harold Montague pleads guilty to hacking baby to death with ax
- Germany's WAGs invade pitch after World Cup win and carry on partying all night
- Udall calls for CIA director Brennan to resign
- Icelandair's in-flight safety video that passengers will actually WANT to watch
- Doctor Hannah Spencer's insight into Ebola virus outbreak battle
- Female firefighter wins $60,000 after male colleague repeatedly slapped her bottom while shouting 'badonkadonk'
Scorn of 'stitch bitch' Alexander McQueen... designer who dressed (and dissed!) the A-list: Banning Posh from free frocks. Assaulting Madonna (with a spud). What couture's bad boy REALLY thought of his clients revealed by his live-in lover (2.00)
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Fired Denver Sheriff deputy tries to get job back after excessive force case
- Mayor says stormwater task force decision not his purview
- No response from sheriff's office
- Colorado tightening edible pot rules
- Denver set to apply for $12 million in federal grants to house Central American refugees
- FBI: ‘Good Grammar Bandit’ wanted in 7 metro Denver bank robberies
- Udall calls for CIA director Brennan to resign
- Police: Hit and run driver ditches vehicle, carjacks woman
- Get a sneak peek of the 2014 Parade of Homes
- Air Force Academy ranked among top colleges in the nation