Downtown Pueblo businesses seeing aggressive panhandling
Downtown businesses in Pueblo would like to see more done to address aggressive panhandling. They argue that it's a safety issue that also goes against compassion for the homeless.
"I don't know the answer," said Tom Bruss, president of the Pueblo Downtown Association. "It's weighing heavy on my heart. What can we do?"
Bruss' organization represents more than 100 businesses. He said complaints from downtown workers prompted a meeting Tuesday night with someone from the Pueblo Police Department.
Police confirmed that panhandling is on the rise. They want the public to call for help when a panhandler blocks someone's path or touches them in an attempt to ask for money.
Bruss said awareness of the law could help curb the trend. The PDA printed 200 fliers detailing the loitering law and those will be up around the downtown area soon.
Downtown visitors said panhandling is a problem all over Pueblo and not just downtown. Krista Miller said she sees the increase in panhandling at work outside restaurants and on Interstate 25.
"There are a lot of people who come and visit and if they see that it may draw them away and they may not want to stop in Pueblo," said Miller.
Caesar, a panhandler who didn't want to give his last name for the story, said most people who ask for money will leave a business if they're asked to.
"If they're making the business look bad and everything, then they'll go across the street or somewhere that's not on their property," said Caesar.
Loitering and trespassing are illegal and the courts have decided that bans on panhandling are as well. Recently, a ban on panhandling passed by the City of Colorado Springs was struck down.
That makes Bruss weary of city reforms addressing issue.
"I hate to be religious but, 'What would Jesus do?'" asks Bruss. "I don't know what Jesus would do but the Downtown Association has to be proactive."
- Man who contracted the BUBONIC PLAGUE from his cat speaks about the ordeal that left him at death's door
- Crash victims survive after car is crushed flat by lorry's shipping container load
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- Massive mayfly swarm that emerged along Mississippi was so huge it lit up weather radar, caused traffic collisions and blacked out the sun
- Out of control truck sends pedestrians flying on Russian crossing
- The moment a Ukrainian military transport carrying 49 troops was shot down by pro-Russian militants killing everyone on board
- Scientists discover the new black: British researchers devise material so dark it looks like a black hole
- Tearful Leno says goodbye after 22 years as Obama and host of stars pay tribute on his final show
- Meet the seven women of Bravo's 'Ladies of London' whose drinking, cat fighting, royal name dropping and even labor scenes are coming to TV
- Shocking video footage shows Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice drag his girlfriend out of an Atlantic City casino elevator by her legs
- Two-legged stray dog gives birth to four puppies in China (and their legs are all in order!)
- Yes, yes, YES! Woman experience TWO types of orgasm, sonographs reveal
- Teacher 'had sex with student in house near middle school for over a year'
- Miss Colorado Teen Runner-Up Kristy Althaus 'stripped of title' after it emerges she starred in porn film
- So poignant, lost children of Flight MH17: Smiling happily in family snapshots, some of the innocent victims of the tragedy
- American Quinn Lucas Schansman killed aboard MH17
- MH17 investigators find more bodies and parts of passenger jet
- Russian woman strips off and pole dances in bid to stop car being towed
- Putin's daughter Maria has 'fled Holland' after Dutch fury at Russia's response to MH17 disaster
- Expert describes effect of missile hit on MH17
- American party girl ditches the cocktails for COW PAT CAKES to fly across the world and become a traditional housewife in rural India after meeting her husband on Facebook
- WATCH: Police officer seen shoving man multiple times at Coors Field
- President Hollande faces legal action for using taxpayer cash to fund his ex-partner's lavish lifestyle after complaint from supermarket heir
- Hunky cop is inundated with marriage proposals after adorable photo of him cuddling stray kitty he'd just rescued and adopted goes viral
- Adele's son wins damages in paparazzi lawsuit
- Homeowner makes astonishing TV boast about shooting 'pregnant' home invader dead as she pleaded for mercy - as police say her ACCOMPLICE could be charged with her murder
- 'My son saved his attacker's life': Father who pounded admitted child molester into a 'bloody puddle' claims son stopped him from stabbing admitted pedophile to death
- Dino Guglielmelli jailed for offering 'hitman' $80k to murder wife
- Brody Jenner walks in on Kim Kardashian during risqué photo shoot
- Parents who lost three children on MH17 flight tell of agony
- Tech designer George Schnakenberg dies weeks before birth of first daughter
- Cincinatti Bengals cheerleaders banned from wearing underwear on their lower half but require full support up top
- Pshonka's palace a treasure trove of total opulence: Journalists and protestors enter his estate to find extravaganza of luxury
- Surgeons remove 232 'TEETH' from Indian teenager's mouth
- Is Buzz Aldrin's 1966 space selfie the 'best selfie ever'?
- Kurt Coleman is the vainest young man on the internet...and proud to admit it
- MH17 eyewitness accounts emerge of the horror that unfolded at crash site
- PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: Boston bomber's widow cozies up to his mother on foreign jaunt just weeks before atrocity as video emerges of jihad flag on wall of her home
- Arkansas man who 'stabbed his pregnant girlfriend to death while her daughter, 2, slept' says he can't remember killing her
- Daniel Radcliffe turned away from US border with Canada over visa issues
- Police search for armed suspects in SW Denver, lock down schools
- Shocking pictures reveal how Lake Mead is shrinking to dangerously low levels that are threatening the Las Vegas water supply
- Hulk Hogan: Woman steals, returns wrestler's signed boot
- Neymar takes selfie with girlfriend Gabriella Lenzi after Brazil World Cup win
- Snapchat releases location-aware 'stickers' for popular locations
- Snapchat reveals geofilters that can only be unlocked in the right place
- Female 'separatist' posts Instagram selfie with mascara 'looted' from MH17 crash site
- Family of Reynolds High School shooter Jared Michael Padgett apologize in statement
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Broncos Camp Roundup: Latimer shines again, Williams progresses
- Deputies: Drunk man drove lawnmower to bar
- Update: Nurses’ aide seen hitting Alzheimer’s patient on video advised of felony charge she faces
- I-25 construction will clog highway north of Denver this weekend
- Police seek witness in accidental shooting investigation
- Study: Dogs can feel jealous, too
- Loaded gun found at Springs airport checkpoint
- Different journeys for two Fort Carson soldiers after their homecoming
- Broncos Camp Interviews: Ward, Williams, Talib, Thomas on Day 2
- Elderly woman recovering after getting stuck in tub for 11 days