Watch as Nancy Grace complains that George Zimmerman, an Hispanic man, was 'out on bond, driving through Taco Bell every night, having a churro' during his trial
By David Martosko
PUBLISHED: 15:37 EST, 16 July 2013 | UPDATED: 23:00 EST, 16 July 2013
HLN legal show host Nancy Grace is back in the headlines in a way her publicists might not appreciate. Shortly before the George Zimmerman 'not guilty' verdict was read on Saturday night, she claimed on the air - uncensored - that he had called African-Americans 'f---king coons' while on the phone with police.
But during a little-watched and little-noted broadcast on Friday, Grace used her own racial stereotype to refer to Zimmerman during her reaction to the closing statement from Zimmerman attorney Mark O'Mara.
SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO
Nancy Grace leveled an anti-Hispanic racial stereotype at George Zimmerman while she criticized his attorney for his choice of words during his closing argument
Defense counsel Mark O'Mara successfully argued that George Zimmerman acted in self-defense when he shot and killed a teen-age Trayvon Martin. He asked jurors to let his client 'go back and get back to his life'
'I want you to really, really look at those instructions, apply them, and just say he acted in self-defense,' O'Mara had said in his final words to the Sanford, Florida jury. 'Find him not guilty. Let him go back and get back to his life.'
'Give George Zimmerman back his life?'
Grace exclaimed on the air, Mediaite first reported.
'Give Zimmerman back his life? He’s [been] out on bond, driving through
Taco Bell every night, having a churro,' she said.
'You know, long story short: He’s got his life. Who is going to give life back to Trayvon Martin? I find that, at the very least, a very poor choice of words.'
George Zimmerman (C) was acquitted of second-degree murder and manslaughter charges. He is of Hispanic parentage on his mother's side
Zimmerman is of Hispanic heritage, although many media outlets, including most recently the Associated Press, have referred to him as white.
O'Mara did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.
The Washington Times noted on Tuesday that celebrity chef Paula Deen was ousted by her TV network and lost millions in sponsorship contracts and book deals when it emerged that she used racial language more than 20 years ago.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Kai the 'hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' who 'beat lawyer to death' is rushed to hospital with self-inflicted wounds after suicide attempt in jail
Caleb Lawrence McGillvary, 24, better known as Kai, was arrested for the murder of Joseph Galfy Jr in Clark in MayMcGillvary wrote on Facebook a ...
- Paul Walker: How eight year-old son of Paul Walker's friend tried to save pair from fiery crash as last image of Fast & Furious star getting into doomed Porsche GT emerges
- They're MY Choos: TAMARA MELLON reveals her contempt for the man whose name is on the label and how she almost lost her millions to her alcoholic mother
- 'Plastic-looking' CGI characters could soon look more human as researchers unveil high-definition facial scanner to capture every skin cell and wrinkle
- Denver one of best cities in nation for brunch
- Kathleen Magowan estate: The secret millionaire twins who lived modestly but were sitting on a gold mine
- Colorado's 9NEWS anchor Kyle Clark News rants at viewers' patio snow pictures
- Horrifying assault goes viral after Sharkeisha sucker-punches victim
- Diane Disney Miller who inspired her famous father to create Disneyland dies at age 79
- Mark Spatucci 'RAPED former Miss Teen USA contestant Mary Greff before killing her'
- Nelson Mandela, death of the ballroom dancing ladies' man with a tempestuous love life
- Paul Walker's younger brother Cody starts to clear up late actor's belongings
- Warning ahead! 98 per cent of drivers cannot understand their dashboard lights
- Paul Walker's girlfriend Jasmine Pilchard-Gosnell makes emotional visit to his family's home
- The Mystery of Princess Louise, Queen Victoria's daughter, secret love and Royal sex scandal
- Man suing Snapchat for a third of the $800M company says he was betrayed as he helped create the popular app and has the evidence to prove it
- Today Show's Savannah Guthrie and Matt Lauer try to stay warm at Thanksgiving Parade
- Pets on parade: Costume competition brings out the funny, the creative and the strange in pet owners across the country
- Born Brittney, graduating Britt: Transgender student on becoming a boy while in high school
- Loophole allows TV advertising of E-cigarettes
- Fast & Furious star Paul Walker dead in fiery car wreck: Actor killed after Porsche GT driven by his friend crashed into pole
- Musician becomes first professional Kim Jong Un lookalike
- In love behind bars, Charles Manson, 79, and the 25-year-old woman he's going to MARRY as America's most notorious serial killer reveals he's bisexual... and STILL claims he's innocent
- Anthony Weiner's sexting Sydney Leathers hits Miami beach wearing stars and stripes bikini
- Young mother, 17, is stabbed to death 'by child's father' while holding their infant daughter in her arms outside her school
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- New app aims to match users with their perfect sartorial partner
- Shanghai smog hits crisis point with air pollution 24 times WHO safety levels
- Gwyneth Paltrow wins battle with Vanity Fair, magazine reportedly ditches 'epic take-down'
- Queen reveals shock at Nelson Mandela's death coinciding with Long Walk To Freedom premiere
- Girl, 14, missing for two days allegedly abducted by ex-boyfriend
- Is this the best Christmas jumper ever? Nasa scientist designs sweater that uses a smartphone to create a flickering log-fire scene
- Texas braces for 'Ice Friday' as snow sweeps across U.S. - canceling hundreds of flights and leaving 200,000 without power
- Obama reveals he is not allowed iPhone for 'security reasons'
- Rochelle Sapp, 33, 'threw 3-year-old Autumn Elgersma with such force she killed her'
- Coffee or beer? Your choice could affect your lifespan - and not in the way you expect