North Pole, Alaska, center of sick story Satanism and serial killers after Miranda Barbour, 19, confesses to 22 murders
- Miranda Barbour claims she joined a cult aged just 13 in North Pole, where hundreds of news outlets have turned out since the lurid story broke
- She said she then spent her teenage years on a nationwide killing spree, murdering 22 people
- Police in Pennsylvania told the Daily Item that they're working with investigators from other states and the FBI to probe possible connections to unsolved murders
- A law enforcement source close to the investigation told CNN Barbour's new claims could be 'the real deal.' 'It's conceivable,' the source said
- The woman is charged with the murder of Troy LaFerrara, 42, in November using Craigslist
- She admitted to the crimes in an interview from jail
By Daily Mail Reporters
PUBLISHED: 00:16 EST, 17 February 2014 | UPDATED: 00:37 EST, 17 February 2014
A tiny Alaskan town is at the center of a sensational story about satanism and serial killers after a local woman claimed she murdered at least 22 people at the behest of a satanic leader.
Miranda Barbour, 19, claims she joined the cult aged just 13 in the town of North Pole, where hundreds of news outlets have turned out since the lurid story broke, and then spent her teenage years on a nationwide killing spree.
However, the woman, who is charged with murdering a Sudbury, Pennsylvania man in November, told a reporter the 'majority' of slayings took place in her home state.
According to a jailhouse interview, she joined the satanic cult as a young girl in the town, which is in the Fairbanks North Star Borough of Alaska and has a population of 2,210. She said she then went on to kill scores of people on the orders of the cult leader.
Satanism: Miranda Barbour, 19, pictured Friday, claims she joined a cult aged just 13 in the town of North Pole, where hundreds of news outlets have turned out since the lurid story broke
In 2011, she reportedly moved to North Carolina from Alaska and met Elyett Barbour, her husband who is now 22.
Police in Pennsylvania told The Daily Item that they're working with investigators from other states to probe possible connections to unsolved murders.
A law enforcement source close to the investigation told CNN Barbour's new claims could be 'the real deal.' 'It's conceivable,' the source said.
Alaska law enforcement sources said they couldn't comment on whether they've launched their own investigations into her time in Alaska until after the President's Day weekend.
After teh jailhouse interview, The Daily Item reported that she confessed to at least 22 killings in the past six years in Alaska, Texas, North Carolina and California.
'I can pinpoint on a map where you can find them,' she said from Northumberland County Prison.
Home: The tiny Alaskan town of North pole, pictured, is at the center of sensational story about satanism and serial killers
Barbour's defense attorney has sought a psychiatric evaluation for his client, according to news reports. He said he didn't know she was going to give the interview.
Sunbury Police Chief Steve Mazzeo told CNN the FBI is now involved in the investigation.
'The FBI's Philadelphia Division has recently been in contact with the Sunbury Police Department regarding Miranda Barbour, and will offer any assistance requested in the case,' it said in a statement to CNN.
In the local newspaper piece, Barbour, claims she will plead guilty to the butchering of Troy LaFerrara, 42, in November in addition to more than 20 victims from Alaska to North Carolina as part of her involvement in a satanic cult.
'I feel it is time to get all of this out. I don't care if people believe me. I just want to get it out,' Barbour told the newspaper for a story published Saturday night.
'When I hit 22, I stopped counting,' she said on the paper's website. She now just wanted to be honest, she said.
Serial killer: Miranda Barbour made the stunning revelations yesterday
Sunbury police Chief Steve Mazzeo told the newspaper that investigators have been in contact with the FBI and law enforcement in several other states.
'From information we gathered and from information gathered from her interview we are seriously concerned and have been in contact with the proper authorities,' Mazzeo said.
Lawyers for the couple did not immediately return messages from The Associated Press left at their offices Saturday night. An FBI spokesman referred questions to its Philly office, but an email message wasn't immediately returned.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Barbour and her husband, 22-year-old Elytte Barbour. Authorities said Miranda Barbour, a petite woman with long brown hair, told investigators she met the 6-foot-2, 278-pound victim after he responded to her Craigslist ad offering companionship for money.
Accomplice: Elyette Barbour allegedly told police he and his wife wanted to kill together
Over the course of the deeply unsettling interview, Barbour claims that she is ready and able to cooperate with authorities to reveal where the bodies are buried.
Claiming to have been sexually abused at the age of four, Barbour told the Daily Item that she only killed 'bad people' and was brought up in a satanic cult by a man she would not identify after joining them at the age of 13.
Indeed, it was this individual who introduced Barbour to murder - killing a man down an alley in Alaska with a gun.
'It was in an alley and he (the cult leader) shot him,' she said, declining to identify him.
'Then he said to me that it was my turn to shoot him. I hate guns. I don’t use guns. I couldn’t do it, so he came behind me and he took his hands and put them on top of mine and we pulled the trigger. And then from there I just continued to kill.'
During her time in the cult, Barbour claims that at one point she fell pregnant and was subjected to a dangerous 'in-house abortion' by members after they drugged her and tied her to a bed.
Victim: Miranda Barbour said Troy LaFerrara, left, was still alive when she was searching for a place to dump his body. Pictured above with his wife Collen on their wedding day in 2011
After leaving Alaska as a high-ranking member of the satanic cult, Barbour said that she will tell police anything they want to know about the murders.
Asked why she pleaded not guilty to the LaFerrara muder, she replied, 'I didn't want to.'
'When I was at my arraignment and the judge asked me how do I plead, I was ready to say guilty and my attorney (chief public defender Ed Greco) grabbed the microphone and said not guilty.'
Miranda Barbour said she has not spoken with her husband since the day she was arrested.
'He is proud of what he did,' she said. 'I will always love him.'
'I know I will never see my husband again and I have accepted that. I know I wanted to talk about all this because I know I had a 20-year window where I would possibly get out of jail and I don’t want that to happen. If I were to be released, I would do this again.'
Police allege in court papers that Elytte Barbour told investigators they committed the crime because they wanted to kill someone together.
'Natural born killers': Miranda Barbour (left), 18, and her 22-year-old husband, Elytte (right) are seen in handcuffs after being arrested in connection to the 'thrill killing' of Troy LaFerrara last month
She said in the interview that she doesn't want to get out of jail and that she would kill again if she were released.
These confessions from Barbour follow the graphic details she gave police about married Troy LaFerrara's last moments.
Barbour told police in December that LaFerrara was still alive and 'choking and gasping for air' as her and her husband tried to find somewhere to dump his body after stabbing him 20 times.
Initially, Miranda told police that she killed La Ferrara in self-defense after he started to grope her. But her 22-year-old husband Elytte Barbour gave police a different story, saying they conspired to kill a stranger together, and he helped hold La Ferrara down while his wife wielded the knife.
Miranda Barbour was the first to be arrested when police traced LaFerrara's last call to her cell phone. She was charged last Wednesday in his death, followed by her husband on Friday.
Investigators said Elytte Barbour confessed to police the couple planned the killing. He previously told The Daily Item of Sunbury his wife acted in self-defense when LaFerrara, who was married, groped her after hiring her as a ‘companion.’
According to authorities, Miranda advertised herself as a 'companion' on Craigslist and LaFerrara responded. She arranged to pick him up on November 11 at a mall, three weeks after her marriage.
Elytte Barbour says he hid in the back of the car under a blanket until the moment his wife gave him a signal.
Sex worker: The teen-mom's husband said he knew about her habit of meeting men on the internet and sleeping with them for money
He held LaFerrara back with a cable cord while his petite, bespectacled spouse repeatedly stabbed him. LaFerrara's body was discovered the next morning in an alley by Sunbury resident Brittany Settler.
After dumping their victim's body, the Barbours when to Wal-mart to buy garbage bags, carpet clearer, paper towels and seat covers to clean out the SUV - but it wasn't enough.
'She related that there was a lot of blood and she wasn't able to get it all,' police said.
After that they went to a strip club to celebrate Elytte's 22nd birthday.
The Barbours had recently moved from North Carolina to Pennsylvania after tying the knot October 22.
LaFerrara married his girlfriend of eight years, Colleen Keeney, in June 2011. The couple did not have children.
Death wish: Barbour told detectives that he and Miranda had plotted to kill someone in the past, but without success
According to his obituary, LaFerrara was employed as the senior resident engineer at the Lycoming County Landfill.
The couple's arrests comes after Richard Beasley was given the death penalty in April this year after luring three men to an Ohio farm by using Craigslist job posts before killing them in cold blood.
Mr Barbour has been charged with criminal homicide, aggravated assault, simple assault and criminal conspiracy and possession of instruments of crime.
The 22-year-old man told police that he and his wife had plotted to kill someone in the past, but without success. It was not until they came across LaFerrara on Craigslist that their plan finally came together.
Miranda Barbour offered little detail on the murders she claimed to have participated in in Alaska, Texas, North Carolina and California.
She claims she joined a satanic cult in Alaska when she was 13 before moving to North Carolina. Online records for the woman that the newspaper identified as Barbour's mother show her as having lived in both Alaska and North Carolina.
Last week, a judge granted a lawyer's request to have a forensic psychiatrist evaluate Miranda Barbour. The judge earlier approved a psychiatrist to evaluate Elytte Barbour.
Original sinner: The first 'Craigslist killer' Richard Beasley, above, was convicted in April after posting job vacancies on the site which used the promise of work on an Ohio farm to lure three men to their deaths
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Missing American bacehlorette party turns up in California as storm-ravaged Cabo San Lucas braces for ANOTHER hurricane
The group of eight women arrived in San Diego Wednesday nightCabo San Lucas continues to rebuild after the destructive hurricane hit Sunday Many locals are still ...
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Teenage mother and partner 'murdered man from Craigslist'
- Doctor who wasn't supposed to be in the room for Joan Rivers' throat operation appeared in Celine Dion documentary
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Apple iPhone 6 release sees queues at stores get longer as fans line up for handsets
- Waitress writes scathing post calling out MARRIED hedge-fund manager who felt her up...as accused 57-year-old vows revenge
- Alex Salmond's bullies hit a blind man in the face - just for supporting the No campaign
- Meredith Vieira reveals why she remained in an abusive relationship
- Still not safe to go in the water! Not one but two great whites spotted off the coast of Cape Cod
- Downton Abbey stars weigh in on Scottish independence at series five premiere...and their views are just as mixed as the polls
- John Kerry slams Code Pink protest group during Senate hearing
- 'He's in complete shock': Man who lived in the basement of house of horrors where three infants were found dead says he's stunned to discover he's the father of Erika Murray's four surviving children
- Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington calls press conference to admit affair
- UVA student Hannah Graham FIFTH woman in 5 years to vanish along 'Route 29 corridor'
- Terms of Service
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Fisherman says porpoise helped him survive while adrift for 30 hours
- Finding Nemo comes true! Researchers find young clownfish travel upto 400km when they are just a week
- In it to win it! Flutist at world competition performs despite having a BUTTERFLY perch on top of her face
- Ma'ake Kemoeatu retires from Baltimore Ravens to give his kidney to younger brother
- Ben Affleck admits to counting cards at casino
- Teens survive Ford Bronco crash after one lights driver's ARMPIT hair on fire
- Clemson suspends plans to require every student to reveal the number of sexual partners they have been with after public uproar
- ''What the f***?' 'Swearing' Barbie doll shocks mother as it blurts out
- Being religious does NOT make you better behaved, researchers claims - but it will make you feel more guilty
- How pets make us MORE stressed: More than half of cat and dog owners lose sleep because their animals wake them up early, survey finds
- Yet ANOTHER NFL player arrested on domestic violence charges: Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer 'threw a shoe at his toddler son and assaulted woman'
- Trail of devastation left in luxury resort Los Cabos by hurricane Odile as it heads toward Arizona
- Low-calorie sweeteners found in diet drinks RAISE the risk of obesity and diabetes by affecting how the body processes sugar
- Suspended MLB player becomes a hero as first on the scene at roadside accident
- Baseball player releases shocking first photos of injuries caused by fastball to the face
- High school senior Mary Kate Smith is homecoming queen AND star of football team
- Nigeria college shooting leaves at least 15 dead
- Hundreds of police swoop on terror suspects in Sydney and Brisbane in dawn raids amid fears extremists may have been 'planning beheadings or a mass shooting'
- Hunt for mystery man seen with his arm around missing UVA student after police release new surveillance footage showing teen being followed as she stumbled through deserted mall
- Texan mother's anger after neighbor calls Child Protection Services because she let son play outside
- Is this the most dangerous holiday snap ever? Tourist gets out of his car to pose for photograph with lion and lioness at Kenyan nature reserve
- Special needs teen, 15, with 'suicidal thoughts' is missing after running away from her school that waited an HOUR after she disappeared to report her missing to police or her mother
- Severe respiratory illness confirmed in 12 states
'He's in complete shock': Man who lived in the basement of house of horrors where three infants were found dead says he's stunned to discover he's the father of Erika Murray's four surviving children (0)