North Pole, Alaska, center of sick story Satanism and serial killers after Miranda Barbour, 19, confesses to 22 murders
- Miranda Barbour claims she joined a cult aged just 13 in North Pole, where hundreds of news outlets have turned out since the lurid story broke
- She said she then spent her teenage years on a nationwide killing spree, murdering 22 people
- Police in Pennsylvania told the Daily Item that they're working with investigators from other states and the FBI to probe possible connections to unsolved murders
- A law enforcement source close to the investigation told CNN Barbour's new claims could be 'the real deal.' 'It's conceivable,' the source said
- The woman is charged with the murder of Troy LaFerrara, 42, in November using Craigslist
- She admitted to the crimes in an interview from jail
By Daily Mail Reporters
PUBLISHED: 00:16 EST, 17 February 2014 | UPDATED: 00:37 EST, 17 February 2014
A tiny Alaskan town is at the center of a sensational story about satanism and serial killers after a local woman claimed she murdered at least 22 people at the behest of a satanic leader.
Miranda Barbour, 19, claims she joined the cult aged just 13 in the town of North Pole, where hundreds of news outlets have turned out since the lurid story broke, and then spent her teenage years on a nationwide killing spree.
However, the woman, who is charged with murdering a Sudbury, Pennsylvania man in November, told a reporter the 'majority' of slayings took place in her home state.
According to a jailhouse interview, she joined the satanic cult as a young girl in the town, which is in the Fairbanks North Star Borough of Alaska and has a population of 2,210. She said she then went on to kill scores of people on the orders of the cult leader.
Satanism: Miranda Barbour, 19, pictured Friday, claims she joined a cult aged just 13 in the town of North Pole, where hundreds of news outlets have turned out since the lurid story broke
In 2011, she reportedly moved to North Carolina from Alaska and met Elyett Barbour, her husband who is now 22.
Police in Pennsylvania told The Daily Item that they're working with investigators from other states to probe possible connections to unsolved murders.
A law enforcement source close to the investigation told CNN Barbour's new claims could be 'the real deal.' 'It's conceivable,' the source said.
Alaska law enforcement sources said they couldn't comment on whether they've launched their own investigations into her time in Alaska until after the President's Day weekend.
After teh jailhouse interview, The Daily Item reported that she confessed to at least 22 killings in the past six years in Alaska, Texas, North Carolina and California.
'I can pinpoint on a map where you can find them,' she said from Northumberland County Prison.
Home: The tiny Alaskan town of North pole, pictured, is at the center of sensational story about satanism and serial killers
Barbour's defense attorney has sought a psychiatric evaluation for his client, according to news reports. He said he didn't know she was going to give the interview.
Sunbury Police Chief Steve Mazzeo told CNN the FBI is now involved in the investigation.
'The FBI's Philadelphia Division has recently been in contact with the Sunbury Police Department regarding Miranda Barbour, and will offer any assistance requested in the case,' it said in a statement to CNN.
In the local newspaper piece, Barbour, claims she will plead guilty to the butchering of Troy LaFerrara, 42, in November in addition to more than 20 victims from Alaska to North Carolina as part of her involvement in a satanic cult.
'I feel it is time to get all of this out. I don't care if people believe me. I just want to get it out,' Barbour told the newspaper for a story published Saturday night.
'When I hit 22, I stopped counting,' she said on the paper's website. She now just wanted to be honest, she said.
Serial killer: Miranda Barbour made the stunning revelations yesterday
Sunbury police Chief Steve Mazzeo told the newspaper that investigators have been in contact with the FBI and law enforcement in several other states.
'From information we gathered and from information gathered from her interview we are seriously concerned and have been in contact with the proper authorities,' Mazzeo said.
Lawyers for the couple did not immediately return messages from The Associated Press left at their offices Saturday night. An FBI spokesman referred questions to its Philly office, but an email message wasn't immediately returned.
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against Barbour and her husband, 22-year-old Elytte Barbour. Authorities said Miranda Barbour, a petite woman with long brown hair, told investigators she met the 6-foot-2, 278-pound victim after he responded to her Craigslist ad offering companionship for money.
Accomplice: Elyette Barbour allegedly told police he and his wife wanted to kill together
Over the course of the deeply unsettling interview, Barbour claims that she is ready and able to cooperate with authorities to reveal where the bodies are buried.
Claiming to have been sexually abused at the age of four, Barbour told the Daily Item that she only killed 'bad people' and was brought up in a satanic cult by a man she would not identify after joining them at the age of 13.
Indeed, it was this individual who introduced Barbour to murder - killing a man down an alley in Alaska with a gun.
'It was in an alley and he (the cult leader) shot him,' she said, declining to identify him.
'Then he said to me that it was my turn to shoot him. I hate guns. I don’t use guns. I couldn’t do it, so he came behind me and he took his hands and put them on top of mine and we pulled the trigger. And then from there I just continued to kill.'
During her time in the cult, Barbour claims that at one point she fell pregnant and was subjected to a dangerous 'in-house abortion' by members after they drugged her and tied her to a bed.
Victim: Miranda Barbour said Troy LaFerrara, left, was still alive when she was searching for a place to dump his body. Pictured above with his wife Collen on their wedding day in 2011
After leaving Alaska as a high-ranking member of the satanic cult, Barbour said that she will tell police anything they want to know about the murders.
Asked why she pleaded not guilty to the LaFerrara muder, she replied, 'I didn't want to.'
'When I was at my arraignment and the judge asked me how do I plead, I was ready to say guilty and my attorney (chief public defender Ed Greco) grabbed the microphone and said not guilty.'
Miranda Barbour said she has not spoken with her husband since the day she was arrested.
'He is proud of what he did,' she said. 'I will always love him.'
'I know I will never see my husband again and I have accepted that. I know I wanted to talk about all this because I know I had a 20-year window where I would possibly get out of jail and I don’t want that to happen. If I were to be released, I would do this again.'
Police allege in court papers that Elytte Barbour told investigators they committed the crime because they wanted to kill someone together.
'Natural born killers': Miranda Barbour (left), 18, and her 22-year-old husband, Elytte (right) are seen in handcuffs after being arrested in connection to the 'thrill killing' of Troy LaFerrara last month
She said in the interview that she doesn't want to get out of jail and that she would kill again if she were released.
These confessions from Barbour follow the graphic details she gave police about married Troy LaFerrara's last moments.
Barbour told police in December that LaFerrara was still alive and 'choking and gasping for air' as her and her husband tried to find somewhere to dump his body after stabbing him 20 times.
Initially, Miranda told police that she killed La Ferrara in self-defense after he started to grope her. But her 22-year-old husband Elytte Barbour gave police a different story, saying they conspired to kill a stranger together, and he helped hold La Ferrara down while his wife wielded the knife.
Miranda Barbour was the first to be arrested when police traced LaFerrara's last call to her cell phone. She was charged last Wednesday in his death, followed by her husband on Friday.
Investigators said Elytte Barbour confessed to police the couple planned the killing. He previously told The Daily Item of Sunbury his wife acted in self-defense when LaFerrara, who was married, groped her after hiring her as a ‘companion.’
According to authorities, Miranda advertised herself as a 'companion' on Craigslist and LaFerrara responded. She arranged to pick him up on November 11 at a mall, three weeks after her marriage.
Elytte Barbour says he hid in the back of the car under a blanket until the moment his wife gave him a signal.
Sex worker: The teen-mom's husband said he knew about her habit of meeting men on the internet and sleeping with them for money
He held LaFerrara back with a cable cord while his petite, bespectacled spouse repeatedly stabbed him. LaFerrara's body was discovered the next morning in an alley by Sunbury resident Brittany Settler.
After dumping their victim's body, the Barbours when to Wal-mart to buy garbage bags, carpet clearer, paper towels and seat covers to clean out the SUV - but it wasn't enough.
'She related that there was a lot of blood and she wasn't able to get it all,' police said.
After that they went to a strip club to celebrate Elytte's 22nd birthday.
The Barbours had recently moved from North Carolina to Pennsylvania after tying the knot October 22.
LaFerrara married his girlfriend of eight years, Colleen Keeney, in June 2011. The couple did not have children.
Death wish: Barbour told detectives that he and Miranda had plotted to kill someone in the past, but without success
According to his obituary, LaFerrara was employed as the senior resident engineer at the Lycoming County Landfill.
The couple's arrests comes after Richard Beasley was given the death penalty in April this year after luring three men to an Ohio farm by using Craigslist job posts before killing them in cold blood.
Mr Barbour has been charged with criminal homicide, aggravated assault, simple assault and criminal conspiracy and possession of instruments of crime.
The 22-year-old man told police that he and his wife had plotted to kill someone in the past, but without success. It was not until they came across LaFerrara on Craigslist that their plan finally came together.
Miranda Barbour offered little detail on the murders she claimed to have participated in in Alaska, Texas, North Carolina and California.
She claims she joined a satanic cult in Alaska when she was 13 before moving to North Carolina. Online records for the woman that the newspaper identified as Barbour's mother show her as having lived in both Alaska and North Carolina.
Last week, a judge granted a lawyer's request to have a forensic psychiatrist evaluate Miranda Barbour. The judge earlier approved a psychiatrist to evaluate Elytte Barbour.
Original sinner: The first 'Craigslist killer' Richard Beasley, above, was convicted in April after posting job vacancies on the site which used the promise of work on an Ohio farm to lure three men to their deaths
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Man who contracted the BUBONIC PLAGUE from his cat speaks about the ordeal that left him at death's door
- Released POW Bowe Bergdahl to return to the US tomorrow as newly leaked letters reveal he blamed his superior officers for deserting his post
- Topless women inspired by Scout Willis take to New York streets
- National Dance Day
- Driver's licenses for non-citizens attract overwhelming interest
- Meet the World Cup final WAGS who'll be cheering on their footballers on Sunday night
- Woman shot to death during home invasion was NOT pregnant despite homeowner's boasts that she had begged for her unborn baby's life
- Crossfit pregnant mother broke records in the final day of her pregnancy
- Designer Brennan Gleason puts resume on bottles of home-made BEER
- Legions of fans show their insulin pumps after being inspired by Miss Idaho showing hers during a beauty pageant
- Scientists discover the new black: British researchers devise material so dark it looks like a black hole
- One person killed in rollover crash on I-25
- Tragedy strikes family when eight-year-old drowns in freak circumstances swimming in pool containing less then three-feet of water
- Man stabbed to death on Springs southeast side
- Crash victims survive after car is crushed flat by lorry's shipping container load
- Putin's daughter Maria has 'fled Holland' after Dutch fury at Russia's response to MH17 disaster
- 'He was ambushed inside his garage': Harvard-educated professor shot dead at home with keys still in unlocked car says new police report in baffling murder
- Tearful Leno says goodbye after 22 years as Obama and host of stars pay tribute on his final show
- Avon High School in Indiana students lip sync for charity in choreographed video
- Chinese shoplifter made to sit in shop window with sign around her neck
- How low can he go? Boy, 6, breaks world record after he rollerskates under 39 cars parked just five inches off the ground
- Police praise 'heroic' doctor and caseworker who stopped psychiatric patient in terrifying close-quarter gunfight after he shot dead their colleague
- Tree blows down at 8th and Hudson in Pueblo
- Hundreds attend Kim Pham's funeral, who 'was beaten to death for photobombing'
- Pizza Hut in West Virginia shut down after manager caught peeing in SINK
- Deb’s Mommy blog: Getting ready for our new baby
- Discovery of long-lost World War II dog tags may solve the 70-year-old mystery of a soldier's death
- Two Fort Carson soldiers killed
- Longmont carjacking, chase suspect’s girlfriend also arrested
- Energy drinks blamed for Lanna Hamman's fatal heart attack on Mexican beach vacation
- Controversial former mayor of Bucharest facing ruin after renting out a property to tenants who turned it into an illegal brothel
- Free weed for veterans
- Virginia congregation lets it ALL hang out as they worship in the buff
- South Sudan's first ever national football team on playing in country ravaged by war
- Jessica Alba strips in Sin City: A Dame To Kill For trailer
- Make-up to make you glam in glasses: Wear specs? A new book says you need to choose your cosmetics very carefully
- You'll have a blast! Luxury Connecticut island that comes with its own CANNON (not to mention a six-bedroom mansion) up for sale for $11MILLION
- Anna Wintour hosts her son's wedding at her chic Long Island estate
- Snapchat releases location-aware 'stickers' for popular locations
- Baby eagle attracts crowd in Commerce City as it’s almost ready for 1st flight
- 'My son saved his attacker's life': Father who pounded admitted child molester into a 'bloody puddle' claims son stopped him from stabbing admitted pedophile to death
- 'Sorcerer' sentenced to death in India for decapitating a baby and drinking its blood in occult ritual
- Mother, 23, in vegetative state who was hit by meth driver gets $9.3m
- Is there a serial killer on the loose in affluent Washington D.C. suburb? Fears rise after music teacher shot dead on her doorstep in broad daylight bringing number of identical unsolved murders to three
- Military mom who starved toddler daughter to death because she was depressed about husband's deployment is jailed 30 years
- Touching moment sea lion befriends boy with Asperger's
- Detroit man James Brown convicted of killing 4 women from escort site
- PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: Boston bomber's widow cozies up to his mother on foreign jaunt just weeks before atrocity as video emerges of jihad flag on wall of her home
- Mother poisons baby with HAND SANITIZER to 'end his suffering': 20-year-old admits to killing son who had Downs syndrome...and she'd tried it before with PERFUME
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Cornell Robinson, Devery Kelley accused of robbing pregnant woman in labor in Maryland
- Father needed hospital treatment for three inch gash in his head after being attacked by his neighbour's cat because it hated his Hugo Boss AFTERSHAVE
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Business student 'posed on online dating sites as a high-flying engineer and architect to dupe love-struck women from around the world out of £186,000'
- Children undergo traditional 'lucky haircuts' in China (but don't seem happy about it!)
- And the Oscar goes to Samsung, Twitter AND Apple: How Ellen's backstage iPhone antics took the gloss off the now famous A-list selfie retweet taken on rival Galaxy smartphone
- Pictured: The men who stole the car of woman in labor at gunpoint
- Unseasonably warm weather set to make 1,000-mile Iditarod race even MORE grueling as mushers set off