'You can stay in the guest house'! Discarded shipping container transformed into environmentally-friendly lodge lauded for its modern design
- Owned by an artist who lives on a former industrial site in San Antonio, Texas
- Created by reputed design firm Poteet Architects
- Built with a sustainable strategy
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 11:19 EST, 16 February 2014 | UPDATED: 11:19 EST, 16 February 2014
Not only is the 'Container Guest House' funky and futuristic to look at and a novelty for friends of the owner to stay in - it was built with a sustainable strategy.
The lodge in San Antonio, Texas, was built by award-winning design firm Poteet Architects.
The firm were tasked with the project by an artist who lives in a small warehouse on a formal industrial site and wanted to experiment with shipping containers.
They installed sliding doors, windows, heating, air conditioning and an 8 foot by 4
foot bathroom to make it the perfect place for visitors to crash for the night.
The 'Container Guest House' was created for an artist in San Antonio, Texas, who wanted to experiment with architects
The artist who owns the container lives in a warehouse on a former industrial site in downtown San Antonio
Modern: It features an open plan sitting room as well as a bathroom with compost shower
Both the floors and walls are lined with bamboo plywood
The compost toilet is used for the garden outside, while the red walls are covered with sheet metal
The finished product also features many innovative and environmentally-friendly qualities, starting with the 'upcycle' of the container itself.
Built into the roof is a garden that provides air-flow to reduce the amount of heat retained by the container.
The garden is watered by an irrigation system that uses grey water from the sink and shower.
The bathroom is a composting toilet.
The interior is insulated with spray foam then lined with bamboo plywood, equally appropriate for the floor as the walls.
The rooftop garden helps stop the container from retaining heat from the sun
The emphasis was on sustainable strategies-- first, the recycling of a container for a new and permanent use
The finished project serves as a guest house and is fitted with a shower/WC and a custom stainless sink
The exterior light fixtures are blades from a tractor disc plow¿a common sight in south Texas
Outside, the deck is made up of HVAC equipment pads made of recycled soda bottles that have been set in a steel frame.
The rear of the container is screened by wire mesh panels which will eventually be covered in evergreen vines.
The Container Guest House won a 2010 Design Award from AIA San Antonio.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Woman arrived at the jobcentre with a high fever, then collapsed Hundreds of visitors and staff in the building were held for several hoursThe suspected Ebola ...
- Brad Parker, 36, plunges to his death as he rock climbs in Yosemite
- 'Human Barbie' Lolita Richi from Ukraine is just 16 and claims she's had no surgery
- Inside the world's most expensive apartment: Penthouse in Monaco's new Odeon Tower complete with water slide, private chauffeur and caterer will set back potential owner £240MILLION
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Darren Wilson's friend says Michael Brown 'punched officer and tried to grab his gun'
- Siberian twerkers become internet sensation with 30 MILLION watching dance video
- Corona Extra bottles recalled after glass particles found in the beer
- Did MH370 pilot starve passengers of oxygen before ditching into the sea?
- Body of Marine's missing pregnant wife found at the bottom of a mine shaft as her 24-year-old lover is arrested
- Moment subway rider was charged and attacked by giant rat on platform
- 'Heads up high:' Little League coach delivers heartwarming pep talk to his teary-eyed young players after close defeat in World Series
- 'We're moving around the block': How Tehran has come up with ultimate space-saving feature - MOVEABLE rooms. And it's all at a push of a button
- ISIS beheads missing American journalist James Wright Foley
- Patient at Sacramento hospital is tested for Ebola
- Robin Williams was addicted to 'tooth-rotting sentimentality', says Barry Norman: Film critic sparks anger among fans with his 'honest tribute'
- Equally talented: They are both 13, they are both stars of the Little League World Series, but one is 4'8" and the other is a staggering 6'4"
- So, Mr Putin, where are the tanks? Convoy of military transporters carrying tanks towards Ukraine border now seen returning empty
- Airlines on alert as Iceland's Bardarbunga volcano threatens to erupt and create chaos for air travel
- Eleven of the world's most EXTRAVAGANT pools
- Squirrel is bamboozled by a pole covered in Vaseline as it fails to climb up to a bird feeder
- How NOT to accept the ALS ice bucket challenge
- Woman wakes up to find semi-naked Vietnamese actor, 29, in her bed
- ISIS militants encourage Ferguson protesters to embrace Islamic extremism
- Liberia declares curfew and orders quarantine of 50,000 slum dwellers in battle to stop spread of Ebola in the capital
- Drunk driver did not deserve 'execution' at hands of David Barajas
- Johnny Manziel flips the bird against the Washington Redskins in NFL preseason game
- Man who was worked at same light fixtures store since 1941 turns 101 ... and refuses to retire
- Pregnant wife of marine 'killed by her lover' was delighted to be having a baby after previous miscarriage as it emerges that 'murderer' had searched online about how to dispose of a body
- 'American bombing had signed my death certificate': Missing US journalist James Wright Foley goes unflinching to his death as ISIS behead him in horrific video, as a warning to Obama
- Hanging Roomoon tents that look like the moon when lit up at night go on sale
- County officials in Georgia say they won't pay the medical bills for the child injured
- Otters spotted going through their paces with some synchronised exercise
- Ukraine rocket strike on refugee convoy leaves 15 dead
- Don Pardo, Saturday Night Live announcer, dies at 96
- How birds are being scorched to death MID-AIR in the quest for clean energy: Horrifying images show impact of solar beams on the environment
- Britain 'to send three Tornado reconnaissance jets to Nigeria' to join hunt for kidnapped schoolgirls
- Here come the brides: 'Androgyne' husband and wife both wear dresses to Moscow registry office wedding in precedent that has confused anti-gay administration
- Don Pardo, Saturday Night Live announcer, dies at 96
- The world's fattest man who ate himself to death
- Curvy fashionistas boycott Target for 'skinny' sizing of Altuzarra collaboration
- Woman arrested for attacking legislator's wife 'after becoming obsessed with their family and breaking into their home'
- Three of six child hostages freed in standoff in Chicago suburb
- Man poses for mugshot wearing t-shirt with previous arrest mugshot
- Cell phone footage of a brutal attack against a driver who hit and killed a pedestrian while driving without his license
- Meet the women who fall in love with convicted murderers
- Apple's iWatch delayed until 2015 as stock hits all time high
- Jennifer Hudson's brother held in jail after 'repeatedly stabbing love rival in the face in front of wife'
- Pope Francis speaks about his own death as he hints at 'nerve problems'
EXCLUSIVE: 'Do not be fooled into believing his wife' Casey Kasem's daughter writes scathing open letter slamming her step mother for 'abandoning' beloved DJ and begging Norway to reject plan to bury him there (0)