Meet Lauren Cosgrove, pregnant fiancee of overnight USA hockey hero TJ Oshie
- American's newest Olympic darling proposed to Lauren Cosgrove on their 3-year anniversary just before he left for Sochi
- 'I might go into labor!' Cosgrove is eight months pregnant and joked that the excitement of Saturday's game was nearly too much
- The longtime couple met in North Dakota and Cosgrove moved to St. Louis, where Oshie plays for the Blues, shortly thereafter
- Oshie helped take Team USA to victory over the Team Russia titans in nail-biting shoot out
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 11:47 EST, 16 February 2014 | UPDATED: 12:09 EST, 16 February 2014
While TJ Oshie steals headlines for emerging from the ranks to lead Team USA hockey to victory over almighty Team Russia on Saturday, it's his gorgeous fiancee who's now stealing hearts.
Even at eight months pregnant, Lauren Cosgrove managed to remain the picture of blonde beauty as she cheered on the 27-year-old St. Louis Blues forward, but the intense game-winning shootoout nearly proved to be too much.
'I might go into labor,' joked Cosgrove, as she watched the breathtaking display from home in Missouri.
Scroll down for video...
Who's luckier? Stunning blonde Lauren Cosgrove (left) is the fiancee of overnight USA hockey hero TJ Oshie (right)
Shocking upset: USA forward T.J. Oshie, who normally plays for the St. Louis Blues, reacts after scoring the winning goal against Russia goaltender Sergei Bobrovski on Saturday. Back at home, eight months pregnant fiancee Cosgrove couldn't have been more thrilled
Cosgrove told KSDK that she's accustomed to her husband's prowess and that, despite all the excitement, it's no surprise he's rocketed to overnight superstardom.
'He's been a hearthrob for a while, here in St. Louis at least,' said the pert, smiling Cosgrove, who stayed behind because of her looming due date.
Nonetheless, Minnesota raised Oshie barely made it to the Olympics.
He was among the final selections for the U.S. roster and while he has never had a 20-goal NHL season, Oshie leads the Olympic team's American-born players with seven shootout goals this year.
Oshie scored four times in the shootout and put the winner between the Russian goalie's legs in the eighth round, leading the United States past Russia 3-2 in the thrilling revival of the classic Olympic hockey rivalry stretching back to the USA's 1980 Miracle on Ice win.
So, it may have been his small fish attitude less than his underdog status that made Oshie's game winning shoot out goal so unexpected.
Just ask Cosgrove what he said when he called her after the game.
'I hope this all blows over pretty quick,' Cosgrove recalls Oshie saying about the media frenzy currently encircling him.
'This isn't really him,' she said. 'He's so low key.'
'I might go into labor!': Cosgrove, who is due to give birth on St. Patrick's Day, was unable to make it to Sochi. She watched Saturday's headlining grabbing game from home with friends in Missouri
All American: The beaming couple were engaged on their three-year anniversary just before Oshie left for Sochi
America's golden couple: The soon-to-be famous hockey bride met up-and-coming Oshie while they visited friends in North Dakota three years ago
Cosgrove, who is due to give birth
St. Patrick's day, says she's confident her country, and her personal
hearthrob, will take Team USA to the top of the podium at Sochi.
'I definitely have faith in team USA and I think they have a shot at the the gold.'
Oshie's rise to fame was sparked thanks to a quirk in Olympic hockey rules.
in the NHL, teams must alternate which players they choose to face the
goal keeper in a shootout, in the Olympics a coach may choose the same
man each time.
Oshie was chosen for the U.S. men's hockey team with just such a situation in mind, and the shootout specialist concocted one last clever goal to silence an arena filled with screaming Russian fans.
History in the making: USA forward T.J. Oshie scores the winning goal against Russia goaltender Sergei Bobrovski in a shootout during overtime of a men's ice hockey game at the 2014 Winter Olympics
Humble: 'I hope this all blows over pretty quick,' Cosgrove recalls Oshie saying about the media frenzy currently encircling him
International rules allow the same player to take multiple shots after the first three rounds of a shootout, and U.S. coach Dan Bylsma leaned on Oshie's array of slick shots and change-of-pace approaches to the net.
Oshie scored on the Americans' first shot before taking the last five in a row, going 4 for 6 against Bobrovsky and disappointing a Bolshoy Ice Dome crowd including Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Oshie's final shot was a beauty: He threaded a forehand right through Bobrovsky's pads, the puck punching the back of the Russian net emphatically enough to pop the water bottle on top into the air.
The U.S. men are only interested in the one that all but wrapped up an automatic berth in the quarterfinals next week.
'I think you're going to see T.J. Oshie become a household name after that display he put on,' said David Backes, Oshie's teammate in St. Louis. 'The kids will be out on the pond probably in Minnesota right now, throwing a 5-hole on the goalie three or four times in a row.'
Unexpted: Team USA celebrates after Oshie helped defeat Russia in a shootout during the Men's Ice Hockey Preliminary Round Group A game on day eight of the Sochi games
FROM HOCKEYTOWN, USA TO SOCHI, RUSSIA: WHO IS TJ OSHIE?
Timothy Leif Oshie was born on December 23, 1986.
Grew up in Warroad, Minnesota AKA Hockeytown, USA, a town of 1,770 that's sent a player to every medal-winning USA men's hockey team.
Oshie was born in Everett, Washington, but as a boy moved to Warroad in hockey-crazed Minnesota. Oshie starred at Warroad High School, a tiny powerhouse in the northwest corner of the state, right near the Canadian border.
He led the Warriors to two state titles before playing three years in college at North Dakota.
Oshie was a first-round draft choice by the Blues in 2005. His entered the league in 2008, but his best season came in 2011-12 when he scored 19 goals and had 35 assists to help the Blues make the playoffs.
'I think you're going to see T.J. Oshie become a household name after that display he put on. The kids'll be out on the pond probably in Minnesota right now, throwing a 5-hole on the goalie three or four times in a row. He does a great job for us in St. Louis. That's part of the reason he's on this team, along with some of the other things you can't put on the stat sheet.' — Team USA teammate and St. Louis Blues forward David Backes.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
Denver Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan suffered a knee injury during training camp on Tuesday that will force him to sit out for up to two ...
- Newly discovered 'Bourbon Virus' is believed to be behind mysterious death of Kansas man
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Widow of ISIS beheading victim Alan Henning was 'having an affair with his brother-in-law while he was being held hostage by terrorists in Syria'
- 'Why pick on Sony? They haven't had a hit since the Walkman': Sony hack gets the Saturday Night Live treatment as Mike Myers makes his return to the show as Dr. Evil
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's teenage son is recovering from injuries after 'being mugged and put in a chokehold by two men' near family's home
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- From juggling a litter of hyper puppies to being sat on by an emu: Meet the animal photographer who captures adorable pet snaps
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- De Blasio accused of having 'blood on his hands': Hundreds attack New York City Mayor for backing anti-cop protesters before two officers were shot dead 'in revenge for Garner'
- 'This is the worst day of my life': Heartbreaking Facebook post of 13-year-old Jaden Ramos on being told his cop father had been shot dead and wouldn't be coming home
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Muhammad Ali hospitalized with pneumonia
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Prince Andrew's paedophile friend Jeffrey Epstein sued for £65k
- Autopsy report of mayor husband shot dead by his 'battered' wife reveals she suffered 'over 20 years of physical abuse'
- Protesters greet Obama on first day of Hawaiian vacation as president goes golfing during Brooklyn cop killing
- Thousands of police brutality protesters rally at Mall of America chanting 'black lives matter,' shutting down part of the shopping complex
- Marquis de Sade's descendants reclaim his title after 200 years of disowning novelist
- Obama: No justification for murder of NYC police
- Floyd Mayweather paid for rapper Early Hayes' funeral despite 'watching the rapper shoot his wife and then himself on FaceTime'
- Yule have fun matching the (very gaudy) tree to the star
- Mel B cancels vital eye operation just a week after claims she split from her husband amid rumours of physical abuse
- Families of Michael Brown and Eric Garner condemn shootings of NYPD officers
- 'NYPD KILLS' graffiti daubed on side of the Manhattan bridge in the wake of Eric Garner protests
- Robert De Niro, Lady Gaga, and 548 others answer the question: Lennon or McCartney?
- Comedienne Margaret Cho 'to divorce' her artist husband after 11 years of open marriage
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- President Barack Obama calls on only female reporters to ask questions
- North Korea's cyber hack was not 'an act of war' Obama says - it was 'cyber vandalism' - and Sony's capitulation sets a bad precedent
- Another empty promise? Obama vows yet again to 'do everything I can' to close Guantanamo... SIX years after he took office and first promised to close the military prison
- ISIS release photos of a man having his hand amputated for theft
- By George! Look who will be rocking into 2015: My future kingdom for a horse (well, a £4,650 zebra). What prince is getting from Santa
- George W Bush dresses up as Santa to hand out toys at children's hospital
- Muhammad Ali hospitalized with pneumonia
- A-list stars including Jennifer Aniston, Ed Sheeran and Al Pacino show their support for British mother's film about stillborn son as she attempts to raise £1.3m
- Two New York police officers shot in Brooklyn
- We know where you live: Astonishing threat made by James Murdoch to the head of Ofcom over BSkyB takeover bid
- Is this the world's most dangerous job? Fearless zoo workers put their heads inside crocodiles' mouths to impress tourists
- Saluting the fallen: NYPD staff pay their respects as bodies of 'executed' police officers are driven past in ambulances after gunman shoots dead two cops in their patrol car 'to get revenge for deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown'
- Was Brooklyn double cop killer carrying out the work of the Black Guerrilla Family prison gang? Police probe links to group who promised to avenge the deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown
- California dognappers dye Coco the brown pit bull BLACK in bid to throw off authorities
- Terms of Service
- From fighting tigers and leaping wildebeest to incredible urban snapshots: National Geographic reader's best photographs