Camel escapes, attacks man in Southern California
- A camel escaped its enclosure in a California community and attacked a man who tried to corral it
- The camel bit the 72-year-old man on the head, knocked him down and tried to stomp on him
- Police say the owner does not have a license for the animal
- It was corralled by the man's daughter and is being held by police as evidence
- The man is in hospital and will require stitches in his head
By Associated Press
PUBLISHED: 18:09 EST, 14 February 2014 | UPDATED: 14:02 EST, 15 February 2014
A camel escaped from an enclosure in a Southern California high desert community Friday, stomped a 72-year-old man who tried to capture it, and chased other people before it calmed down and was corralled.
The camel escaped in the unincorporated community of Acton and was reported chasing cars shortly after 8:30 a.m., Los Angeles County sheriff's officials said.
The man is currently in hospital and will need stitches for a gash to his head, while the camel is being held by police.
Violent: This camel may look harmless, but beneath that dopey smile is the rampaging beast that stomped on a man and bit his head
'My dad... tried to catch it and it must have cornered him or something, and it took off after him, bit him on the head and knocked him down and stomped on him,' Skylar Dossenbach told KCBS-TV.
'He crawled under something and the camel tried to pull him out from under it.'
Her father was hospitalized and needed stitches for a gash to his head, she said. His name wasn't immediately released.
'A neighbor came out and saw the commotion and got the camel away from him,' Dossenbach told KABC-TV.
Evidence: Police are holding the camel as evidence against the owner, who allegedly does not have a license to keep it
Roaming free: Neighbors say it is not uncommon to see wild exotic animals loose in the area
'And the camel actually started chasing them, and they had to jump in a car, and the camel was running around after everybody.'
Dossenbach said she finally ended up capturing the camel.
'I just put a halter on him, fed him a treat and he calmly walked down to my round pen and I corralled him,' she said.
The camel was seized by animal control officials because the owner does not have a permit and because of the injury, agency spokeswoman Betsy Webster said.
The owner could be cited for endangering residents, sheriff's officials said.
Locked up: The camel was taken by police and animal welfare officers to Lancaster Animal Shelter
Docile: After her father was attacked by the camel, Skylar Dossenbach managed to capture it herself
Dossenbach said the camel and other animals, including a buffalo and an ostrich, previously escaped from the owner's property, which she described as a zoo. There have been as many as five escapes this year, she said.
Dossenbach said she believed no one lives on the property but a caretaker comes by daily to feed and water the animals.
The camel is now being held as evidence.
Neighbors told KTLA that it's not unusual to see exotic animals in the area.
One man said an emu got loose last year, and another said he'd seen people riding camel in the area, though it's unclear if it's the same one.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
'I love you Papa': Nicole Kidman delivers emotional tribute to her father Dr Anthony Kidman and sings Amazing Grace with husband Keith Urban at private Sydney funeral to celebrate his life
By Amy Croffey for Daily Mail Australia Published: 23:10 EST, 18 September 2014 | Updated: 23:57 EST, 18 September 2014 ...
- UVA student Hannah Graham FIFTH woman in 5 years to vanish along 'Route 29 corridor'
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Missing American bacehlorette party turns up in California as storm-ravaged Cabo San Lucas braces for ANOTHER hurricane
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Protocol? What protocol? Adorable moment three-year-old interrupts homecoming procession to hug his mother after her nine-month tour of Afghanistan
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Teenage domestic assault victim shows her horrific scars after ex attack
- Teenage mother and partner 'murdered man from Craigslist'
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Single mother with terminal cancer has dying wish granted as her nurse agrees to raise her son
- Man hangs himself live on Skype as users egged him on
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Shock return of the ultra-skinny model: Emporio Armani criticised after parading stick-thin women on Milan catwalk
- Man kills his five grandchildren, his daughter and young girl before turning gun on himself in small northern Florida town, reports suggest
- Holding a rifle in high school: Chilling childhood photo of survivalist sniper who gunned down state trooper emerges as FBI put him on Most Wanted Fugitives list with a $100,000 reward
- Police announce 'big break' in hunt for missing teen Hannah Graham as they search car and apartment complex
- Apple iPhone 6 release sees queues at stores get longer as fans line up for handsets
- Something doesn't add up! CNN reports 110% turnout in Scottish independence vote
- Thrillseekers pictured sleeping thousands of feet above Alps in HAMMOCKS ... and they tightrope walk to get there
- Wal-Mart store in Mexico could face closure after hosting promotional cock fight... as children watched the two birds 'tearing each other apart in the middle of the aisles'
- 'Hannah Graham. Where are you?' Thousands gather at vigil for missing UVA student as police launch hunt for 'person of interest' seen as she staggered through downtown mall
- Crews battle wildfire in California as blaze threatens more than 2,000 homes
- It's finally here! American man snaps up first iPhone 6 by reserving device online and choosing to pick it up in SYDNEY, beating out customers in general store queue... as hundreds of others wait to get theirs today
- Michelle Obama's calorie-cutting skips the White House press room where a snack machine sells a 'Jumbo Honey Bun' that packs a whopping 590 calories and 17g saturated fat!
- Race car driver Radomin Delgado who killed a man is arrested more than a year later
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Downton Abbey stars weigh in on Scottish independence at series five premiere...and their views are just as mixed as the polls
- Bruce Springsteen and wife Patricia Scialfa watches daughter Jessica compete in Central Park equestrian competition
- Terms of Service
- Police were called to gun incident at San Francisco 49er Ray McDonald's house three months before he was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence
- Security scare at JFK Airport after luggage with logo similar to ISIS insignia noticed on Sun Country Airlines flight
- Still not safe to go in the water! Not one but two great whites spotted off the coast of Cape Cod
- Cardinals' Chris Rainey is SECOND player released over domestic violence charges in two days
- Adrian Peterson's mother defends her NFL player son
- Catholic high school coach fired after 'being identified as part of mob' that brutally beat gay couple in Philadelphia
- The 18th century sex change: Historic documents tell eye-watering story of surgery on young boy hidden in a girl's body
- New York store owner accused of 'recruiting for ISIS and funding the terror group' pleads not guilty
- ''What the f***?' 'Swearing' Barbie doll shocks mother as it blurts out
- Elmo could use a hug! Woman dressed as Sesame Street character arrested in Times Square for aggressive panhandling
- Did you know Goldfinger was a (nice) Nazi? Fifty years on, fabulous facts about the best Bond film ever
- It's a yes! Royal and Ancient golf club at St Andrews votes to allow women members for the first time in 260 years after Scotland's OTHER poll
- 'It's a piece of crap - probably won't run even if you push it': Husband posts hilarious anti-ads for a motorbike and a luxury golf cart on Gumtree... after his 'cruel wife' FORCED him to sell his favourite 'toys'
'He's in complete shock': Man who lived in the basement of house of horrors where three infants were found dead says he's stunned to discover he's the father of Erika Murray's four surviving children (0)