Camel escapes, attacks man in Southern California
- A camel escaped its enclosure in a California community and attacked a man who tried to corral it
- The camel bit the 72-year-old man on the head, knocked him down and tried to stomp on him
- Police say the owner does not have a license for the animal
- It was corralled by the man's daughter and is being held by police as evidence
- The man is in hospital and will require stitches in his head
By Associated Press
PUBLISHED: 18:09 EST, 14 February 2014 | UPDATED: 14:02 EST, 15 February 2014
A camel escaped from an enclosure in a Southern California high desert community Friday, stomped a 72-year-old man who tried to capture it, and chased other people before it calmed down and was corralled.
The camel escaped in the unincorporated community of Acton and was reported chasing cars shortly after 8:30 a.m., Los Angeles County sheriff's officials said.
The man is currently in hospital and will need stitches for a gash to his head, while the camel is being held by police.
Violent: This camel may look harmless, but beneath that dopey smile is the rampaging beast that stomped on a man and bit his head
'My dad... tried to catch it and it must have cornered him or something, and it took off after him, bit him on the head and knocked him down and stomped on him,' Skylar Dossenbach told KCBS-TV.
'He crawled under something and the camel tried to pull him out from under it.'
Her father was hospitalized and needed stitches for a gash to his head, she said. His name wasn't immediately released.
'A neighbor came out and saw the commotion and got the camel away from him,' Dossenbach told KABC-TV.
Evidence: Police are holding the camel as evidence against the owner, who allegedly does not have a license to keep it
Roaming free: Neighbors say it is not uncommon to see wild exotic animals loose in the area
'And the camel actually started chasing them, and they had to jump in a car, and the camel was running around after everybody.'
Dossenbach said she finally ended up capturing the camel.
'I just put a halter on him, fed him a treat and he calmly walked down to my round pen and I corralled him,' she said.
The camel was seized by animal control officials because the owner does not have a permit and because of the injury, agency spokeswoman Betsy Webster said.
The owner could be cited for endangering residents, sheriff's officials said.
Locked up: The camel was taken by police and animal welfare officers to Lancaster Animal Shelter
Docile: After her father was attacked by the camel, Skylar Dossenbach managed to capture it herself
Dossenbach said the camel and other animals, including a buffalo and an ostrich, previously escaped from the owner's property, which she described as a zoo. There have been as many as five escapes this year, she said.
Dossenbach said she believed no one lives on the property but a caretaker comes by daily to feed and water the animals.
The camel is now being held as evidence.
Neighbors told KTLA that it's not unusual to see exotic animals in the area.
One man said an emu got loose last year, and another said he'd seen people riding camel in the area, though it's unclear if it's the same one.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Former Navy SEAL Kristin Beck, who retired to become female, speaks at conference of transgender soldiers to discuss U.S. military's ban
Kristin Beck - formerly Chris - addressed a conference in D.C. MondaySaid she could still serve her country just as well after gender changeBut Pentagon ...
- Girl, 16, with a heart condition collapses and dies while walking through haunted house
- Controversial CEO of oil giant Total killed in private jet plane crash after aircraft hit snow plough on take-off from Moscow airport
- US Marine held in the Philippines' mother claims she is being kept in the dark
- Disney's next animated feature, 'Moana,' slated for 2016 release
- Chinese woman whips and kicks a toddler for wetting herself
- Casey Baird's horror after daughter Tawnee is stabbed to death 'by her lesbian partner'
- Ben & Jerry's will NOT change the name of new ice cream 'Hazed & Confused' despite complaints from anti-hazing activists
- Serena Williams does the splits to put knee fears to rest as she beats Ana Ivanovic in straight sets at WTA championships
- Halloween reveler pokes fun at domestic violence by dressing as Ray Rice dragging life-size blow up doll of wife he beat unconscious
- Radicalized Canadian Muslim convert runs down two young soldiers in his car before being shot dead by police
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Tasmanian devil is mysteriously found dead in a puddle of blood at a New Mexico zoo after someone 'threw a piece of asphalt at its skull'
- CDC issues new guidelines for treating Ebola patients that ALL skin must be covered, after two nurses of patient zero contracted the virus
- Reeva Steenkamp's sister pleads with judge to jail Oscar Pistorius for twenty years
- Guiding Light's Crystal Hunt AVOIDS prison as she's sentenced to three years' probation
- Bill and Hillary ignore Monica Lewinsky's public re-emergence as they continue supporting Democratic candidates on the campaign trail in Louisiana and California
- Indiana body count rises to SEVEN as police fear 'Backpage' serial killer may have murdered many more women across the country
- Listen to Taylor Swift's new single, 'Welcome to New York'
- Woman who got stuck in chimney had been dumped by homeowner she met online and had already been caught on his roof once before
- PIERS MORGAN: It wasn't the Internet that ruined your reputation, Monica, it was lust in the world's most powerful room - now welcome to Twitter!
- No, you CAN'T listen while you're texting: Research finds teenagers struggle with multitasking
- KNOP-TV's Joe Swift fired for wishing departing colleagues good luck live on-air
- Free late at last! Ebola children rush back to school in Dallas after release form 21 day quarantine as a relative of Thomas Eric Duncan is pictured hours after being given the all clear
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Honeymoon murder suspect Dewani 'threw pizza party for 500 just days after ordering hit on his new wife'
- Sale of Joan Fontaine's house to aid animal group
- Chinese boy had his armed ripped off by bear he tried to pat
- Ohio man holding five children hostage threatens to open fire on police
- Protesters disrupt Metropolitan Opera premiere of controversial production dramatizing the murder of a Jewish American by Palestinian terrorists
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- State senator arrested TWICE in the same weekend for 'stalking' a frightened neighbor and TPing her house... just a month after he was caught drinking in public while sitting uninvited in other people's yards
- Ohio girl who cut off her hair to give to cancer patients has to be taken out of school after being bullied and told she's ugly
- The appalling fate of Yemen and Somalia's khat addicts revealed
- How Viagra could help halt heart attacks and strokes, with some doctors saying it should be routinely prescribed
- David Letterman's cue-card holder Tony Mendez fired for assault
- Apple Pay launched to let you tap your iPhone 6 to pay in stores
- Teacher, 24, 'admitted to having sex with male cheerleader after being confronted with naked photo she had sent him'
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Slava Voynov suspended after he's arrested for domestic violence
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Joan Rivers' cause of death will remain a mystery since daughter Melissa NEVER ordered autopsy
- Woman, 21, stabbed to death by 22-year-old girlfriend in parking lot after they got into argument while driving home in Utah at 1am
- The electric suit that shocks you slim: A new, high-tech exercise regime simply requires you to strap yourself into a body suit and endure the pain
- Are YOU spreading germs every time you wash the dishes? Researchers find 90% of tea towels in US kitchens are covered in bacteria
- Fashion legend Oscar de la Renta dead at 82
State senator arrested TWICE in the same weekend for 'stalking' a frightened neighbor and TPing her house... just a month after he was caught drinking in public while sitting uninvited in other people's yards (0)
Ebola hysteria sweeps US schools: Maine teacher who visited Dallas told not to come to work for 21 days as hundreds of Mississippi parents pull kids school because principal visited Zambia... 3,000 miles from countries hit by the disease (0)