Camel escapes, attacks man in Southern California
- A camel escaped its enclosure in a California community and attacked a man who tried to corral it
- The camel bit the 72-year-old man on the head, knocked him down and tried to stomp on him
- Police say the owner does not have a license for the animal
- It was corralled by the man's daughter and is being held by police as evidence
- The man is in hospital and will require stitches in his head
By Associated Press
PUBLISHED: 18:09 EST, 14 February 2014 | UPDATED: 14:02 EST, 15 February 2014
A camel escaped from an enclosure in a Southern California high desert community Friday, stomped a 72-year-old man who tried to capture it, and chased other people before it calmed down and was corralled.
The camel escaped in the unincorporated community of Acton and was reported chasing cars shortly after 8:30 a.m., Los Angeles County sheriff's officials said.
The man is currently in hospital and will need stitches for a gash to his head, while the camel is being held by police.
Violent: This camel may look harmless, but beneath that dopey smile is the rampaging beast that stomped on a man and bit his head
'My dad... tried to catch it and it must have cornered him or something, and it took off after him, bit him on the head and knocked him down and stomped on him,' Skylar Dossenbach told KCBS-TV.
'He crawled under something and the camel tried to pull him out from under it.'
Her father was hospitalized and needed stitches for a gash to his head, she said. His name wasn't immediately released.
'A neighbor came out and saw the commotion and got the camel away from him,' Dossenbach told KABC-TV.
Evidence: Police are holding the camel as evidence against the owner, who allegedly does not have a license to keep it
Roaming free: Neighbors say it is not uncommon to see wild exotic animals loose in the area
'And the camel actually started chasing them, and they had to jump in a car, and the camel was running around after everybody.'
Dossenbach said she finally ended up capturing the camel.
'I just put a halter on him, fed him a treat and he calmly walked down to my round pen and I corralled him,' she said.
The camel was seized by animal control officials because the owner does not have a permit and because of the injury, agency spokeswoman Betsy Webster said.
The owner could be cited for endangering residents, sheriff's officials said.
Locked up: The camel was taken by police and animal welfare officers to Lancaster Animal Shelter
Docile: After her father was attacked by the camel, Skylar Dossenbach managed to capture it herself
Dossenbach said the camel and other animals, including a buffalo and an ostrich, previously escaped from the owner's property, which she described as a zoo. There have been as many as five escapes this year, she said.
Dossenbach said she believed no one lives on the property but a caretaker comes by daily to feed and water the animals.
The camel is now being held as evidence.
Neighbors told KTLA that it's not unusual to see exotic animals in the area.
One man said an emu got loose last year, and another said he'd seen people riding camel in the area, though it's unclear if it's the same one.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
Denver Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan suffered a knee injury during training camp on Tuesday that will force him to sit out for up to two ...
- 'Why pick on Sony? They haven't had a hit since the Walkman': Sony hack gets the Saturday Night Live treatment as Mike Myers makes his return to the show as Dr. Evil
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- From juggling a litter of hyper puppies to being sat on by an emu: Meet the animal photographer who captures adorable pet snaps
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's teenage son is recovering from injuries after 'being mugged and put in a chokehold by two men' near family's home
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Newly discovered 'Bourbon Virus' is believed to be behind mysterious death of Kansas man
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Stephen Collins' victim says he's, he was pleasured and she does NOT accept his apology
- Muhammad Ali hospitalized with pneumonia
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Autopsy report of mayor husband shot dead by his 'battered' wife reveals she suffered 'over 20 years of physical abuse'
- Parents on first flight with baby distribute goodie bags to placate passengers at 35,000ft
- Brighton toddler's ecstatic reaction to a train passing by caught on video
- Protesters greet Obama on first day of Hawaiian vacation as president goes golfing during Brooklyn cop killing
- Obama: No justification for murder of NYC police
- Comedienne Margaret Cho 'to divorce' her artist husband after 11 years of open marriage
- Families of Michael Brown and Eric Garner condemn shootings of NYPD officers
- Thousands of police brutality protesters rally at Mall of America chanting 'black lives matter,' shutting down part of the shopping complex
- Police release sketch of meteorologist shooting suspect
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Mother-of-nine told Irish gunman who shot her 12 times: 'Do you not think that's enough?'
- Yule have fun matching the (very gaudy) tree to the star
- 5-year-old upstate New York boy Kenneth White found dead
- Prince Andrew's paedophile friend Jeffrey Epstein sued for £65k
- A headless choir, Mickey the lynched Mouse and Santa going to the bathroom: How a disgruntled man is waging war on his neighbors with his ugly Christmas display
- George W Bush dresses up as Santa to hand out toys at children's hospital
- De Blasio accused of having 'blood on his hands': Hundreds attack New York City Mayor for backing anti-cop protesters before two officers were shot dead 'in revenge for Garner'
- Floyd Mayweather paid for rapper Early Hayes' funeral despite 'watching the rapper shoot his wife and then himself on FaceTime'
- Mel B cancels vital eye operation just a week after claims she split from her husband amid rumours of physical abuse
- President Barack Obama calls on only female reporters to ask questions
- By George! Look who will be rocking into 2015: My future kingdom for a horse (well, a £4,650 zebra). What prince is getting from Santa
- Marquis de Sade's descendants reclaim his title after 200 years of disowning novelist
- Robert De Niro, Lady Gaga, and 548 others answer the question: Lennon or McCartney?
- We know where you live: Astonishing threat made by James Murdoch to the head of Ofcom over BSkyB takeover bid
- Two New York police officers shot in Brooklyn
- Widow of ISIS beheading victim Alan Henning was 'having an affair with his brother-in-law while he was being held hostage by terrorists in Syria'
- Terms of Service
- Swallowing a slice of turkey... without a single gobble! Dangerous food stunt sweeps the internet
- EXCLUSIVE: The secret heartache and humiliation behind Rihanna's Diamond Ball: Her alcoholic father admits he was thrown out after getting drunk
- Christmas Storm set to bring rain, snow and thunder across USA East Coast
- Dog owner whose Weimaraner Geist was killed by police wants $1.5 million in damages as he demands cops change their policies on using force against animals
- Viktoria Modesta, the REAL bionic woman