Philip Seymour Hoffman's 'love triangle with mystery woman who caused his split from longtime partner' revealed in secret diaries
- New York City police who searched the actor's West Village apartment after he was found dead February 2 discovered two small diaries
- In the journals, Hoffman talked about feeling 'caught in between' long-time girlfriend Mimi O'Donnell and another woman
- His affair may have led O'Donnell to kick him out of their home three months earlier
- The late actor also wrote about drug deals, and his struggle to overcome his addiction with Narcotics Anonymous meetings
- Some of the entries appear to have been written while in rehab last year for heroin abuse
- Meanwhile, others are scrambled and illegible, with sentences running into each other as though he was high when he put pen to paper
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 20:59 EST, 11 February 2014 | UPDATED: 21:01 EST, 11 February 2014
Troubled actor Philip Seymour Hoffman had found himself in a love triangle not long before his drug overdose death, it was revealed today.
Writing in his private diaries, the 46-year-old Hollywood star talked about feeling 'caught in between' long-time girlfriend Mimi O'Donnell and another woman he had recently met.
Hoffman's journal entries suggested that his relationship with his unidentified new paramour may have triggered his split from O’Donnell, who asked him to move out of their Manhattan home three months before his death.
Love triangle: In his diaries, the late actor talked about feeling 'caught in between' his longtime girlfriend Mimi O'Donnell (right) and another woman he had met not long before his death
Law enforcement sources told The New York Post's Page Six that O'Donnell did not want Hoffman around their three young children while he was using drugs.
In his often incoherent 'secret diaries,' Hoffman had described being troubled by 'demons,' wrote about drug deals, and his struggle to overcome his addiction with Narcotics Anonymous meetings.
Some of the entries appear to have been written while in rehab for heroin abuse, while others are scrambled and illegible, with sentences running into each other as though he was high when he put pen to paper.
According to NBC News, New York City police who searched the actor's West Village apartment after he was found dead February 2 discovered two small diaries, one measuring about 6 by 8 inches and another approximately 7 by 9 inches.
Diaries: Philip Seymour Hoffman, pictured at Sundance in January, had described being troubled by 'demons' in his private journal in the months before his death, it emerged Tuesday
Drug deals: In the diaries, the late actor, pictured with his two daughters Tallulah and Willa, wrote about drug deals, and his struggle to overcome his addiction with Narcotics Anonymous meetings
The network's sources said the hand-scrawled contents often start off clearly and end up impossible to read.
They referenced buying drugs and his battle with his 'demons.'
The Oscar-winning actor also reportedly said he felt 'ashamed that he was going out and hanging out and drinking' after being clean for two decades.
'It's stream of consciousness and difficult to follow,' one source said. 'In one line he refers to "Frank who always owes money" and on the same page he writes about a 15-year-old girl from Texas.'
Another source told NBC: 'It seems he did at least part of it in rehab. It definitely contained some soul-searching. But there is also a fair amount of rambling that doesn't make sense.'
Hoffman entered rehab for at least 10 days in 2013, admitting that his use of prescription drugs had escalated to heroin.
News of the diaries comes after a drug dealer charged in connection with the beloved character actor's tragic death claimed he could have saved his life.
In a jailhouse interview on Rikers Island, Robert Vineberg, a jazz musician and fellow junkie, denied selling Hoffman the drugs that killed him, insisting he hadn't seen the star since October or even heard from him since December.
Tragic: The actor is seen in January 2013 with his son, Cooper, enjoying the basketball
Apartment: New York City police who searched the actor's West Village apartment, pictured, after he was found dead February 2 discovered two small diaries, one measuring about 6 by 8 inches and another approximately 7 by 9 inches
'I could've saved him,' Vineberg told The New York Post. 'If I knew he was in town, I would've said, "Hey, let's make an AA meeting." If I was with him, it wouldn't have happened. Not under my guard.'
Vineberg said he had known Hoffman for about a year and the pair were friends, getting together to talk about books and art.
'He was a normal guy. You wouldn’t know he was an Oscar winner,' he said.
But he said the actor was a 'hardcore addict' with a 10 bag-a-day heroin habit.
The performer, who has worked with Madonna, Wyclef Jean and the late Amy Winehouse, said he last saw Hoffman in October, when the actor was high at his Mott Street apartment, where police arrested him last week.
After that, things seemed to be looking up for the actor.
He went on a 28-day rehab stint before flying to Atlanta to shoot the upcoming 'Hunger Games' movie.
Funeral: Philip Seymour Hoffman was laid to rest February 6 at St. Ignatius of Loyola Church in New York
Sad: Mimi O'Donnell, center, comforted her daughter Tallulah, along with daughter Willa, left, and son Cooper, at the emotional ceremony
'He left me a voicemail in December saying, "I'm clean,"' he said of their final contact.
was found dead in his bathroom a week ago with 73 bags of heroin
scattered around his West Village apartment. He still had a syringe in
his arm, it was reported.
Vineberg, 57, denied supplying him with the drugs that killed him. When
The Post asked if he had ever sold Hoffman drugs, he refused to answer.
He said he was 'devastated' by Hoffman's death and offered his condolences to his family.
He suggested his brief stint off the drugs may have made him more susceptible to overdose.
you're clean for that long of a time, your body can't take as much,'
Vineberg said. 'Your body doesn't have the tolerance.'
He added: 'He was a hard-core addict.'
He is convinced that Hoffman was injecting 10 bags a day.
'How much was he found with? Seventy bags. You do the math . . . That's a one-week supply,' he said.
Serious habit: Hoffman, pictured in healthier days, entered rehab for at least 10 days in 2013, admitting that his use of prescription drugs had escalated to heroin
Charged: Robert Aaron Vineberg, pictured in court on February 5, has claimed he could have saved Philip Seymour Hoffman, who he said had a 10 bag-a-day heroin habit
NYPD sources told the Post the estimate - about twice that of an average junkie - was about right.
Vineberg was also a drug user and the pair battled with their addiction together, he said.
Vineberg managed to stay clean for a week at a time between relapses and said he and Hoffman would text back and forth, to keep one another on the straight and narrow.
But they fell out of touch late last year.
Vineberg was charged with felony drug possession and was one of three people dealers charged in connection with Hoffman's death. A young couple who lived nextdoor to Vineberg's Mott Street apartment, where cops seized some 300 bags of heroin, were charged with misdemeanor cocaine possession.
Wearing a gray prison jumpsuit, Vineberg told The Post he's 'a scapegoat' in the case.
His attorney insists there is no evidence to suggest Vineberg supplied Hoffman with the deadly narcotics and claims the pair 'were true friends who had bonded over and struggled with the dangerous use of narcotic drugs.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Pictured in his final moments: Canadian reservist soldier and father Nathan Cirillo, 24, photographed SECONDS before he was shot dead by Michael Zehaf-Bibeau
A tourist snapped what is likely the last photo of Cirillo taken before the horrific act of terrorCorporal Cirillo was was gunned down as he stood ...
- 'You are so loved': Lawyer who was with Corporal Nathan Cirillo in his final moments describes the support and aide he received from complete strangers desperate to save his life
- Should that go there? Officers marking off Ebola patient's NYC apartment toss their gloves, masks and caution tape in PUBLIC trash can on city sidewalk after they leave
- Decorated soldier who fought in 'Black Hawk Down' battle in Somalia dies at 52
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- One man and his Harley: Brad Bakelar of Reno rides his motorcycle with his companion, Moki, a five-year-old Goldendoodle
- Man missing 9 years found dead in car in Ohio pond
- Autopsy shows black teenager gunned down by off-duty police officer in St Louis was shot six times in the back - as family attorney says it PROVES he was running away
- Pakistan to bring in anti-cannibalism law after brothers dug up corpses for curry
- David Mohney shot dead children when the mother asked him for a divorce
- The Halloween light show that is perfectly synced to Bohemian Rhapsody
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Businesses New York Ebola doctor visited facing ruin
- Texas hospital is using fake patients sprayed with TABASCO SAUCE to train doctors how not to come in contact with the deadly virus dripping into U.S territory
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Twitter erupts with angry rants, confused questions and cynical humor as New York tries to make sense of why Ebola doctor went bowling while knowingly at risk
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Could you last the night in McKamey Manor HORROR HOUSE? Nobody has yet
- Small plane and helicopter collide in midair killing three in Maryland
- Miracle surgery saves all four of expecting mom's quadruplets after fears they were losing blood and she could give birth at just 19 weeks
- Kayelisa Martin smothered her baby then held body in her arms as she gave police a statement
- US Airways jet bound for Philadelphia spends SIX HOURS circling Brussels to burn fuel after developing rudder fault
- Anatoly Moskvin dug up 150 girls graves to hold 'birthday parties' for them
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Gunman in murder-suicide at Ben Taub General Hospital in Houston, Texas
- Nebraska school district allows students to pose with guns in yearbook photos
- Vicious Japanese man becomes the first person in the world to get prison time for printing 3D guns
- Billionaire George Soros' son fights bitter divorce battle with wife of 22 years after 'cheating with a model-turned-naked artist'
- Mama June comes out on video to defend herself amid child molester scandal after Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is axed by TLC
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- EXCLUSIVE: Empty corridors, snow-free mountains and the weird Dome Cafe: Inside North Korea's deserted ski resort which Kim Jong-un says is 'impeccable'
- Dallas nurse Nina Pham declared free of Ebola
- Rosie O'Donnell under fire after defending Chrissy Teigen's Ottawa shooting tweet
- New York Ebola doctor's fiancee and TWO friends quarantined amid fears he gave them deadly virus: Potential victims in isolation - and there could be more after medic spent SEVEN days riding the subway, bowling and traveling in Uber taxis
- Comfort eating? Chinese woman, 26, spends an entire WEEK in KFC after being dumped by boyfriend
- Ebola 'SWAT teams' on standby to rush to wherever new cases are identified
- US airstrikes have killed 464 ISIS fighters and 57 others in Syria, report claims
- Authorities recover 500 pounds of meth in massive California drug bust
- Lauryn 'Pumpkin' Shannon rubbishes reports Mama June is dating child sex offender ex
- Bear Grylls releases new book 'Extreme Food'
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Boy, 11, shoots dead extremely rare albino deer that biologists say are born just once in every HUNDRED THOUSAND births
- Ikea video of scene from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining in time for Halloween
- Ikea reveals convertible standing desk that can become a normal desk
'Follow the footseps of our barve brother': ISIS supporters have taken to Twitter to call for more attacks on Canada...though more than 130 youths have already left Canada to join the terror group (0)