Bank of America sends credit card offer addressed to 'Lisa Is A Sl*t McIntire'
- Bank of America sent a special offer to a 'Lisa Is A Slut McIntire'
- The credit card offer was posted to her mother's address, who sent a text message informing her daughter
- McIntire tweeted about the offensive envelope to Bank of America
- The bank tweeted back that staff are looking into how the junk mail came to be so addressed
By Alex Greig
PUBLISHED: 19:15 EST, 6 February 2014 | UPDATED: 19:15 EST, 6 February 2014
The mother of a San Francisco-based freelance writer has received a credit card offer in the mail, ostensibly addressed to her daughter, but with one significant difference.
The Bank of America sent an offer to one 'Lisa Is A Slut McIntire' for a $100 cash-back bonus if she signed up for a Bank Americard Cash Rewards Visa credit card.
Her bemused mother, who chose a much more conventional middle name for her daughter, sent a text message to McIntire, telling her, 'Interesting piece of junk mail addressed to you. "Lisa is a slut McIntire."'
Hate mail: Lisa McIntire's rudely addressed mail offered a special credit card deal to 'Lisa Is A Slut McIntire'
Her daughter was understandably confused. 'Uh, what?' she responded.
McIntire tweeted a picture of the offensive envelope to Bank of America Help account and received a response around 5:30pm Thursday saying that the bank is looking into the insulting piece of advertising.
'We’re incredibly sorry this happened and are researching now so we can take the appropriate action,' the bank's account tweeted at her.
Those of us who have never been insulted by an envelope may be horrified at the slight, but Lisa McIntire is taking it as a blessing in disguise.
Mad mail: Lisa McIntire's mother texted her about the offensive letter
Indecent proposal: Lisa Is A Slut McIntire has earned a special offer, according to the letter
'February 6, 2014: the day my personal brand finally hit it big!' she tweeted, adding that her mother couldn't be prouder.
McIntire says she racked her brains to think if there was anyone she had inadvertantly offended at the Bank of America who could be reponsible for the gaffe.
'Not that I know of!' she told New York Magazines' Daily Intelligencer.
'Initially made me nervous because I'm a feminist writer on the internet, but I don’t think it's personal.'
McIntire's Twitter followers speculated on how the letter came to be addressed in such as fashion.
'Some poor data-entry clerk had a really rough break-up with his girlfriend Lisa (the slut),' suggested one.
Investigating: Bank of America has told McIntire that staff are looking into how the envelope came to be addressed in such a way
Another told McIntire that despite the aspersions cast upon her character by the bank, he is impressed with her fiscal management.
'Are you single? Your creditworthiness, among other things, is a turn on,' he tweeted.
Another mail-out error recently saw a grieving father, whose daughter was killed in a car accident, receive a letter from Office Max addressed to 'Mike Seay, Daughter Killed in Car Crash.'
The devastated father was disturbed not just by the envelope but the fact that the company would possess personal information about him.
‘What purpose does it serve anybody to know that? And how much other types of other information do they have if they have that on me, or anyone else? And how do they use that, what do they use that for?’ he asked.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
Denver Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan suffered a knee injury during training camp on Tuesday that will force him to sit out for up to two ...
- Widow of ISIS beheading victim Alan Henning was 'having an affair with his brother-in-law while he was being held hostage by terrorists in Syria'
- Newly discovered 'Bourbon Virus' is believed to be behind mysterious death of Kansas man
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- 'Why pick on Sony? They haven't had a hit since the Walkman': Sony hack gets the Saturday Night Live treatment as Mike Myers makes his return to the show as Dr. Evil
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's teenage son is recovering from injuries after 'being mugged and put in a chokehold by two men' near family's home
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- From juggling a litter of hyper puppies to being sat on by an emu: Meet the animal photographer who captures adorable pet snaps
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- De Blasio accused of having 'blood on his hands': Hundreds attack New York City Mayor for backing anti-cop protesters before two officers were shot dead 'in revenge for Garner'
- 'This is the worst day of my life': Heartbreaking Facebook post of 13-year-old Jaden Ramos on being told his cop father had been shot dead and wouldn't be coming home
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Muhammad Ali hospitalized with pneumonia
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Prince Andrew's paedophile friend Jeffrey Epstein sued for £65k
- Autopsy report of mayor husband shot dead by his 'battered' wife reveals she suffered 'over 20 years of physical abuse'
- Protesters greet Obama on first day of Hawaiian vacation as president goes golfing during Brooklyn cop killing
- Thousands of police brutality protesters rally at Mall of America chanting 'black lives matter,' shutting down part of the shopping complex
- Marquis de Sade's descendants reclaim his title after 200 years of disowning novelist
- Two New York police officers shot in Brooklyn
- Obama: No justification for murder of NYC police
- Floyd Mayweather paid for rapper Early Hayes' funeral despite 'watching the rapper shoot his wife and then himself on FaceTime'
- Robert De Niro, Lady Gaga, and 548 others answer the question: Lennon or McCartney?
- Families of Michael Brown and Eric Garner condemn shootings of NYPD officers
- Yule have fun matching the (very gaudy) tree to the star
- Mel B cancels vital eye operation just a week after claims she split from her husband amid rumours of physical abuse
- 'NYPD KILLS' graffiti daubed on side of the Manhattan bridge in the wake of Eric Garner protests
- Comedienne Margaret Cho 'to divorce' her artist husband after 11 years of open marriage
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- President Barack Obama calls on only female reporters to ask questions
- North Korea's cyber hack was not 'an act of war' Obama says - it was 'cyber vandalism' - and Sony's capitulation sets a bad precedent
- A-list stars including Jennifer Aniston, Ed Sheeran and Al Pacino show their support for British mother's film about stillborn son as she attempts to raise £1.3m
- Ex-NYPD cop and father-of-five, 45, is killed in the line of duty in Florida in third police slaying in just 12 HOURS
- By George! Look who will be rocking into 2015: My future kingdom for a horse (well, a £4,650 zebra). What prince is getting from Santa
- George W Bush dresses up as Santa to hand out toys at children's hospital
- Another empty promise? Obama vows yet again to 'do everything I can' to close Guantanamo... SIX years after he took office and first promised to close the military prison
- California dognappers dye Coco the brown pit bull BLACK in bid to throw off authorities
- ISIS release photos of a man having his hand amputated for theft
- Muhammad Ali hospitalized with pneumonia
- We know where you live: Astonishing threat made by James Murdoch to the head of Ofcom over BSkyB takeover bid
- Is this the world's most dangerous job? Fearless zoo workers put their heads inside crocodiles' mouths to impress tourists
- Saluting the fallen: NYPD staff pay their respects as bodies of 'executed' police officers are driven past in ambulances after gunman shoots dead two cops in their patrol car 'to get revenge for deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown'
- Was Brooklyn double cop killer carrying out the work of the Black Guerrilla Family prison gang? Police probe links to group who promised to avenge the deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown
- Hackers GOP taunt FBI after agency blames North Korea for Sony hack