Bank of America sends credit card offer addressed to 'Lisa Is A Sl*t McIntire'
- Bank of America sent a special offer to a 'Lisa Is A Slut McIntire'
- The credit card offer was posted to her mother's address, who sent a text message informing her daughter
- McIntire tweeted about the offensive envelope to Bank of America
- The bank tweeted back that staff are looking into how the junk mail came to be so addressed
By Alex Greig
PUBLISHED: 19:15 EST, 6 February 2014 | UPDATED: 19:15 EST, 6 February 2014
The mother of a San Francisco-based freelance writer has received a credit card offer in the mail, ostensibly addressed to her daughter, but with one significant difference.
The Bank of America sent an offer to one 'Lisa Is A Slut McIntire' for a $100 cash-back bonus if she signed up for a Bank Americard Cash Rewards Visa credit card.
Her bemused mother, who chose a much more conventional middle name for her daughter, sent a text message to McIntire, telling her, 'Interesting piece of junk mail addressed to you. "Lisa is a slut McIntire."'
Hate mail: Lisa McIntire's rudely addressed mail offered a special credit card deal to 'Lisa Is A Slut McIntire'
Her daughter was understandably confused. 'Uh, what?' she responded.
McIntire tweeted a picture of the offensive envelope to Bank of America Help account and received a response around 5:30pm Thursday saying that the bank is looking into the insulting piece of advertising.
'We’re incredibly sorry this happened and are researching now so we can take the appropriate action,' the bank's account tweeted at her.
Those of us who have never been insulted by an envelope may be horrified at the slight, but Lisa McIntire is taking it as a blessing in disguise.
Mad mail: Lisa McIntire's mother texted her about the offensive letter
Indecent proposal: Lisa Is A Slut McIntire has earned a special offer, according to the letter
'February 6, 2014: the day my personal brand finally hit it big!' she tweeted, adding that her mother couldn't be prouder.
McIntire says she racked her brains to think if there was anyone she had inadvertantly offended at the Bank of America who could be reponsible for the gaffe.
'Not that I know of!' she told New York Magazines' Daily Intelligencer.
'Initially made me nervous because I'm a feminist writer on the internet, but I don’t think it's personal.'
McIntire's Twitter followers speculated on how the letter came to be addressed in such as fashion.
'Some poor data-entry clerk had a really rough break-up with his girlfriend Lisa (the slut),' suggested one.
Investigating: Bank of America has told McIntire that staff are looking into how the envelope came to be addressed in such a way
Another told McIntire that despite the aspersions cast upon her character by the bank, he is impressed with her fiscal management.
'Are you single? Your creditworthiness, among other things, is a turn on,' he tweeted.
Another mail-out error recently saw a grieving father, whose daughter was killed in a car accident, receive a letter from Office Max addressed to 'Mike Seay, Daughter Killed in Car Crash.'
The devastated father was disturbed not just by the envelope but the fact that the company would possess personal information about him.
‘What purpose does it serve anybody to know that? And how much other types of other information do they have if they have that on me, or anyone else? And how do they use that, what do they use that for?’ he asked.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Pictured in his final moments: Canadian reservist soldier and father Nathan Cirillo, 24, photographed SECONDS before he was shot dead by Michael Zehaf-Bibeau
A tourist snapped what is likely the last photo of Cirillo taken before the horrific act of terrorCorporal Cirillo was was gunned down as he stood ...
- One man and his Harley: Brad Bakelar of Reno rides his motorcycle with his companion, Moki, a five-year-old Goldendoodle
- Should that go there? Officers marking off Ebola patient's NYC apartment toss their gloves, masks and caution tape in PUBLIC trash can on city sidewalk after they leave
- Vicious Japanese man becomes the first person in the world to get prison time for printing 3D guns
- Autopsy shows black teenager gunned down by off-duty police officer in St Louis was shot six times in the back - as family attorney says it PROVES he was running away
- Miracle surgery saves all four of expecting mom's quadruplets after fears they were losing blood and she could give birth at just 19 weeks
- 'You are so loved': Lawyer who was with Corporal Nathan Cirillo in his final moments describes the support and aide he received from complete strangers desperate to save his life
- Bear Grylls releases new book 'Extreme Food'
- Substitute teacher 'had sex with a football player student, 17, during pep rally on her first day of school'
- Twitter erupts with angry rants, confused questions and cynical humor as New York tries to make sense of why Ebola doctor went bowling while knowingly at risk
- Ikea video of scene from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining in time for Halloween
- Eddie Redmayne morphs into Stephen Hawking for The Theory of Everything clip
- Texas hospital is using fake patients sprayed with TABASCO SAUCE to train doctors how not to come in contact with the deadly virus dripping into U.S territory
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Ceremony for 15 British WWI soldiers buried 100 years after they died
- The Halloween light show that is perfectly synced to Bohemian Rhapsody
- 'His smile wins over the girls - he will go far in life': How Ottawa shooter's yearbook paints a VERY different picture of Michael Zehaf-Bibeau
- Ikea reveals convertible standing desk that can become a normal desk
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Kurds attend funerals of those who died battling ISIS in Kobane
- Billionaire George Soros' son fights bitter divorce battle with wife of 22 years after 'cheating with a model-turned-naked artist'
- Lauryn 'Pumpkin' Shannon rubbishes reports Mama June is dating child sex offender ex
- Small plane and helicopter collide in midair killing three in Maryland
- 'There is no reason for New Yorkers to be alarmed': Officials issue desperate appeal for city to remain calm over Ebola case
- Defense attorney of one of the four Vanderbilt football players accused of sexually assaulting an unconscious 21-year-old female student says his client was 'too drunk to rape'
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Authorities recover 500 pounds of meth in massive California drug bust
- The life of a Presidential pet: From JFK's Terriers to Bobby's Saint Bernard, a look back at the Kennedys' dogs through the generations
- Decorated soldier who fought in 'Black Hawk Down' battle in Somalia dies at 52
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Hailee Lamberth's parents sue school for 'not telling them she was bullied'
- Fifty shrinks: A lens into the wide-variety therapist offices where New Yorkers from all walks of life pour out their problems and share their innermost secrets
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Man missing 9 years found dead in car in Ohio pond
- Kendra Wilkinson to Hank Baskett: 'It's divorce time!'
- O Canada! Pittsburgh fans sing Canadian national anthem at NHL game as show of support after Ottawa terrorist attack
- Could you last the night in McKamey Manor HORROR HOUSE? Nobody has yet
- The travel and tipping habits of the rich and famous REVEALED through a deciphered New York taxicab database
- Yoga Man man shocking commuters by doing upside down yoga on Sydney's Cityrail trains
- EXCLUSIVE: Empty corridors, snow-free mountains and the weird Dome Cafe: Inside North Korea's deserted ski resort which Kim Jong-un says is 'impeccable'
- How arguing with your spouse could make you FAT: Marital rows and depression lead to fewer calories being burned after meals
- Drugs for Parkinson's disease can turn patients into gamblers, sex addicts and compulsive shoppers
- We'll soon all live to 120 years old - but this is probably the absolute limit, claims expert