Woman with neurofibromatosis covered in tumours she cannot afford to treat
- Sarotin, 46, from East Jakarta, suffers from neurofibromatosis
- It is a genetic condition which causes uncontrollable growths along nerves
- The mother of four has suffered from the condition for three years
By Jill Reilly
PUBLISHED: 10:30 EST, 6 February 2014 | UPDATED: 10:30 EST, 6 February 2014
An Indonesian woman whose body is covered by hundreds of tumours has been forced to flee her village after her family disowned her.
Sarotin, 46, from East Jakarta, is believed to be suffering from neurofibromatosis, a genetic condition which causes uncontrollable growths along the nerves.
The mother of four who only uses one name has suffered from the condition for three years.
An Indonesian woman whose body is covered by hundreds of tumours has been forced to flee her village leaving her children behind after her family disowned her
Sarotin, 46, from East Jakarta, is believed to be suffering from neurofibromatosis, a genetic condition which causes uncontrollable growths along the nerves
Half her face has been obscured by a tumour as well as hundreds of smaller ones covering her entire body.
Widowed Sarotin, says she could not afford medical treatment in her home village in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia.
Neurofibromatosis is the name for a number of genetic conditions that cause swellings or lumps.
Half her face has been obscured by a tumour as well as hundreds of smaller ones covering her entire body
Sarotin visits a shop near her home in East Jakarta, Indonesia
Widowed Sarotin, says she could not afford medical treatment in her home village in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia
Despite their alarming appearance, the growths and swellings - called neurofibromas and caused by a growth of cells - are not cancerous or contagious
many people who have the condition inherit it from one of their
parents, up to 50 per cent develop it randomly from a gene mutation
before they are born.
their alarming appearance, the growths and swellings - called
neurofibromas and caused by a growth of cells - are not cancerous or
Last month an Indonesian man whose body is covered by hundreds of tumours made a final plea for help as the rare condition robs him of his sight.
Slamet, from East Java, is reported to have developed the condition after he had a tumour removed from his waist in 1991.
Slamet's kind-hearted neighbours in Nguntoronadi, Magetan, East Java, have started a Facebook group to try and raise enough money to fund the removal of the tumours.
In November a photo of Vinicio Riva, who also has neurofibromatosis, spread across the world when he was warmly embraced by Pope Francis at one of the pontiff's weekly audiences in St Peter's Square.
In November a photo of Vinicio Riva, who also
has neurofibromatosis, spread across the world when he was warmly
embraced by Pope Francis at one of the pontiff's weekly audiences in St
Peter's Square. Both pictured
WHAT IS NEUROFIBROMATOSIS?
Neurofibromatosis has long been associated with the 'Elephant Man,' the name given to Joseph Carey Merrick, who was severely disfigured. But evidence now suggests he was suffering from another rare syndrome
Slamet is believed to be suffering from a condition called neurofibromatosis – the name for a number of genetic conditions that cause swellings or lumps.
Although many people who have the condition inherit it from one of their parents, up to 50 per cent develop it randomly from a gene mutation before they are born.
are two types of neurofibromatosis and this man is suffering from type
one, Dr Anand Saggar, a London-based genetics expert, told MailOnline.
Despite their alarming appearance, the growths and swellings - called neurofibromas and caused by a growth of cells - are not cancerous or contagious.
condition has long been associated with the ‘Elephant Man,’ the name
given to Joseph Carey Merrick, who was severely disfigured.
However, in 1986, a new theory emerged that Mr Merrick may actually have had Proteus syndrome, a condition which involves symptoms such as abnormal growth of the bones, skin and head.
confusion was again compounded in 2001 when it was proposed that he had
suffered from a combination of neurofibromatosis type one (NF1) and
However, DNA tests on his hair and bones have proven inconclusive.
Other symptoms of neurofibromatosis type one include flat, light brown spots on the skin.
These harmless marks, also called cafe au lait spots, are common in many people. People who have more than six spots that are bigger than half a centimetre wide should get investigated for NF1.
NF1 is a condition someone is born with, although some symptoms develop gradually over many years. The severity of the condition can vary considerably from person to person.
People with NH1 are more likely to suffer from learning difficulties and behavioural problems, a type of cancer known as malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumours, which affect around 10 per cent of people with NF1 over their lifetime, vision problems, high blood pressure and a curved spine.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
Andrea Catsimatidis filed for divorce from Christopher Nixon CoxShe is the daughter of John Catsimatidis, the billionaire owner of Gristedes grocery chainHe is the only ...
- Man's body lay undiscovered for TWO DAYS behind Times Square billboard after hotel suicide leap
- 5-year-old upstate New York boy Kenneth White found dead
- That's a different kind of water-skiing! Incredible pictures show pair of adventurers body board their way down Europe's largest glacier
- BlackBerrys last gasp? Firm launches $450 classic handset with keyboard in bid to keep customers from defecting to iPhone
- Saleswoman transforms her desk space into a cozy log house
- 'Sons of Guns' star William Hayden indicted on more child rape charges
- Cemetery with one MILLION mummies unearthed in Egypt
- George Clooney reveals top names refused to sign petition for The Interview Kim Jong-un comedy
- Assault rifle theme park 'Machine Gun America' to open in Orlando
- Eight children found dead at Cairns home
- Jilted husband catches his nude wife having sex in lover's car, 'fatally stabs both of them and stuffs her body in the trunk' in tragic love triangle
- Plus-Size Woman ask 21 magazine editors from around the world to fix her using Photoshop
- 15-foot deadly python slithers into office building and eight workers think it funny to all hold it up for a picture
- Shamed Sony head Amy Pascal called 'culturally blind' by Al Sharpton following racist emails as two meet to address racial diversity in Hollywood
- The barbaric price of fashion in China: Skin of dogs slaughtered for food is being made into leather GLOVES in horrific factories
- Wife of KCEN's Patrick Crawford who was shot tells how quick-thinking saved him
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Woman who stopped on a highway to help ducklings cross the road is jailed for 90 days
- Forgive me for what I will do
- Incendiary footage emerges of NYPD officer repeatedly punching a 12-year-old black boy during street arrest as onlookers cry foul
- Three years of home videos returned to family 16 years later thanks to social media and the kindness of strangers
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Amirah Droudis faces 'review' of decision to release her on bail for MURDER
- American Rolando Sarraff Trujillo freed by Cuba helped unravel 'Cuban Five' case
- Beyonce and Jay Z lose bid for Beverly Hills estate as Swedish billionaire Markus Persson snatches it up for $70m
- Inside the secretive world of Bureau 121: Is North Korea's state-sponsored cell of cyber warriors behind the Sony hack?
- Yakut horses running across Siberia despite temperatures of -50C
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- The Interview script leak reveals orgy scene with James Franco and Kim Jong-un as well as gay sex references to the North Korean leader that could have led to hack
- Homeless kitten born without eyelids has life-changing surgery to help him see again
- Barack Obama sniffs Cuban cigar at a party hours after lifting 52-year trade embargo
- Glow with the flow! Watersports company designs paddles fitted with LED lights to illuminate marine life under surface of the sea
- Maryland Maria draws YouTube audience of millions as her whispered voice induces mysterious physical sensation
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- 5-year-old girl shot at Peshawar attack despite Taliban instructions not to kill 'small children'
- Nabilla Benattia is released on bail ahead of trial for allegedly trying to stab boyfriend
- Terms of Service
- Nick Jonas plays on 'Big' FAO Schwarz piano
- Releasing Cuban spies was a 'slap in the face' says families of Florida pilots shot down by Cuban MiGs
- Tour operator offers ultimate remote skiing adventure with prices from $7,000
- How one of America's most controversial lawyers and two al-Qaeda clerics came within one day of freeing ISIS hostage Peter Kassig in secret FBI mission
- Car driven by Paul Walker in Fast And Furious is expected to sell for $4million when it goes to auction
- Zoe Saldana, husband Marco Perego welcome twin boys
- Best boyfriend ever fills a jar with 365 love notes for his girlfriend to open one day at a time over the course of 2015
- US STOCKS-Wall St has best 2-day gain since 2011 on Fed optimism
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Eight children found dead at Cairns home
- TSA reunites Maria Dellos with bag that was lost two decades ago