Woman with neurofibromatosis covered in tumours she cannot afford to treat
- Sarotin, 46, from East Jakarta, suffers from neurofibromatosis
- It is a genetic condition which causes uncontrollable growths along nerves
- The mother of four has suffered from the condition for three years
By Jill Reilly
PUBLISHED: 10:30 EST, 6 February 2014 | UPDATED: 10:30 EST, 6 February 2014
An Indonesian woman whose body is covered by hundreds of tumours has been forced to flee her village after her family disowned her.
Sarotin, 46, from East Jakarta, is believed to be suffering from neurofibromatosis, a genetic condition which causes uncontrollable growths along the nerves.
The mother of four who only uses one name has suffered from the condition for three years.
An Indonesian woman whose body is covered by hundreds of tumours has been forced to flee her village leaving her children behind after her family disowned her
Sarotin, 46, from East Jakarta, is believed to be suffering from neurofibromatosis, a genetic condition which causes uncontrollable growths along the nerves
Half her face has been obscured by a tumour as well as hundreds of smaller ones covering her entire body.
Widowed Sarotin, says she could not afford medical treatment in her home village in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia.
Neurofibromatosis is the name for a number of genetic conditions that cause swellings or lumps.
Half her face has been obscured by a tumour as well as hundreds of smaller ones covering her entire body
Sarotin visits a shop near her home in East Jakarta, Indonesia
Widowed Sarotin, says she could not afford medical treatment in her home village in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia
Despite their alarming appearance, the growths and swellings - called neurofibromas and caused by a growth of cells - are not cancerous or contagious
many people who have the condition inherit it from one of their
parents, up to 50 per cent develop it randomly from a gene mutation
before they are born.
their alarming appearance, the growths and swellings - called
neurofibromas and caused by a growth of cells - are not cancerous or
Last month an Indonesian man whose body is covered by hundreds of tumours made a final plea for help as the rare condition robs him of his sight.
Slamet, from East Java, is reported to have developed the condition after he had a tumour removed from his waist in 1991.
Slamet's kind-hearted neighbours in Nguntoronadi, Magetan, East Java, have started a Facebook group to try and raise enough money to fund the removal of the tumours.
In November a photo of Vinicio Riva, who also has neurofibromatosis, spread across the world when he was warmly embraced by Pope Francis at one of the pontiff's weekly audiences in St Peter's Square.
In November a photo of Vinicio Riva, who also
has neurofibromatosis, spread across the world when he was warmly
embraced by Pope Francis at one of the pontiff's weekly audiences in St
Peter's Square. Both pictured
WHAT IS NEUROFIBROMATOSIS?
Neurofibromatosis has long been associated with the 'Elephant Man,' the name given to Joseph Carey Merrick, who was severely disfigured. But evidence now suggests he was suffering from another rare syndrome
Slamet is believed to be suffering from a condition called neurofibromatosis – the name for a number of genetic conditions that cause swellings or lumps.
Although many people who have the condition inherit it from one of their parents, up to 50 per cent develop it randomly from a gene mutation before they are born.
are two types of neurofibromatosis and this man is suffering from type
one, Dr Anand Saggar, a London-based genetics expert, told MailOnline.
Despite their alarming appearance, the growths and swellings - called neurofibromas and caused by a growth of cells - are not cancerous or contagious.
condition has long been associated with the ‘Elephant Man,’ the name
given to Joseph Carey Merrick, who was severely disfigured.
However, in 1986, a new theory emerged that Mr Merrick may actually have had Proteus syndrome, a condition which involves symptoms such as abnormal growth of the bones, skin and head.
confusion was again compounded in 2001 when it was proposed that he had
suffered from a combination of neurofibromatosis type one (NF1) and
However, DNA tests on his hair and bones have proven inconclusive.
Other symptoms of neurofibromatosis type one include flat, light brown spots on the skin.
These harmless marks, also called cafe au lait spots, are common in many people. People who have more than six spots that are bigger than half a centimetre wide should get investigated for NF1.
NF1 is a condition someone is born with, although some symptoms develop gradually over many years. The severity of the condition can vary considerably from person to person.
People with NH1 are more likely to suffer from learning difficulties and behavioural problems, a type of cancer known as malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumours, which affect around 10 per cent of people with NF1 over their lifetime, vision problems, high blood pressure and a curved spine.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Former Navy SEAL Kristin Beck, who retired to become female, speaks at conference of transgender soldiers to discuss U.S. military's ban
Kristin Beck - formerly Chris - addressed a conference in D.C. MondaySaid she could still serve her country just as well after gender changeBut Pentagon ...
- Chinese woman whips and kicks a toddler for wetting herself
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Girl, 16, with a heart condition collapses and dies while walking through haunted house
- Casey Baird's horror after daughter Tawnee is stabbed to death 'by her lesbian partner'
- Up to 34 MILLION blank 'green cards' and work permits to be ordered ahead of Obama illegal immigrant 'amnesty'
- Indiana body count rises to SEVEN as police fear 'Backpage' serial killer may have murdered many more women across the country
- Radicalized Canadian Muslim convert runs down two young soldiers in his car before being shot dead by police
- Halloween reveler pokes fun at domestic violence by dressing as Ray Rice dragging life-size blow up doll of wife he beat unconscious
- Controversial CEO of oil giant Total killed in private jet plane crash after aircraft hit snow plough on take-off from Moscow airport
- US Marine held in the Philippines' mother claims she is being kept in the dark
- Serena Williams does the splits to put knee fears to rest as she beats Ana Ivanovic in straight sets at WTA championships
- Woman who got stuck in chimney had been dumped by homeowner she met online and had already been caught on his roof once before
- Disney's next animated feature, 'Moana,' slated for 2016 release
- Slava Voynov suspended after he's arrested for domestic violence
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Police give super-drunk Michigan woman a DUI after she mistakes the county jail for a bar
- Chinese boy had his armed ripped off by bear he tried to pat
- Ben & Jerry's will NOT change the name of new ice cream 'Hazed & Confused' despite complaints from anti-hazing activists
- Banksy's version of Girl With A Pearl Earring appears on Bristol wall
- Oscar de la Renta, fashion designer, dead aged 82
- Reeva Steenkamp's sister pleads with judge to jail Oscar Pistorius for twenty years
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Bill and Hillary ignore Monica Lewinsky's public re-emergence as they continue supporting Democratic candidates on the campaign trail in Louisiana and California
- Free-floating images are made by firing lasers and they could be used to alert people to disasters
- Listen to Taylor Swift's new single, 'Welcome to New York'
- Man charged with killing Saudi college student
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Ohio girl who cut off her hair to give to cancer patients has to be taken out of school after being bullied and told she's ugly
- US troops battling Ebola in West Africa WON'T be equipped with Hazmat suits
- KNOP-TV's Joe Swift fired for wishing departing colleagues good luck live on-air
- New York City pays $200,000 to store homeless woman's belongings
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- PIERS MORGAN: It wasn't the Internet that ruined your reputation, Monica, it was lust in the world's most powerful room - now welcome to Twitter!
- Oscar Pistorius to finally learn sentence for killing Reeva Steenkamp
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Teen mother charged with attempted capital murder 'for trying to suffocate her son'
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Rachel Lynn Craig is first charged under 'revenge porn law' in Virginia
- Ohio man holding five children hostage threatens to open fire on police
- Ousted Barclays boss Bob Diamond throws his daughter a three-day wedding extravaganza in the South of France complete with TWO custom gowns and fireworks
- Are YOU spreading germs every time you wash the dishes? Researchers find 90% of tea towels in US kitchens are covered in bacteria
- CDC issues new guidelines for treating Ebola patients that ALL skin must be covered, after two nurses of patient zero contracted the virus
- Florida crane topples over and crushes an RV and three cars during routine tree removal
- Warren Buffett may suffer $1billion loss due to plummeting IBM stocks
- Revealed, Oregon's First Lady took older ex-lover (and pot-farm partner) on romantic Siberian trip just weeks after she was paid $5,000 for 'green card wedding' to Ethiopian immigrant
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- King Tut had girlish hips, a club foot and buck teeth according to a 'virtual autopsy'
State senator arrested TWICE in the same weekend for 'stalking' a frightened neighbor and TPing her house... just a month after he was caught drinking in public while sitting uninvited in other people's yards (0)
'Serial killer' confesses to killing a 19-year-old woman in a Motel 6 and leads cops to the bodies of three more victims... as it's revealed he 'may have hunted prostitutes he met over the Internet' (0)