Siegfried and Roy enjoy life away from the limelight more than 10 years after white tiger brought an end to their famed Las Vegas show
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 20:07 EST, 5 February 2014 | UPDATED: 21:37 EST, 5 February 2014
After decades of entertaining Las Vegas tourists, Siegfried and Roy appear to be taking it easy, after a freak accident with a tiger forced them to slow down.
It has been just over ten years since one of the famed entertainers' white tigers dragged Roy off stage in the Mirage.
Roy, 69, who was left seriously injured after being grabbed by the throat during a live performance in 2003, was pictured Wednesday soaking up the scenery from his wheelchair in a Hawaii resort.
Relaxation: Roy is pictured being pushed in a wheelchair during a vacation to Hawaii
Showman: Siegfried stands on a Hawaii beach as he vacations with on-stage partner Roy
His on-stage partner Siegfried also appeared to be slowing down after years in the limelight, as the 74-year-old strolled barefoot in the sand.
Since Roy was mauled, Siegfried has dedicated his time and energy to making sure his showbusiness partner recovered.
After being grabbed round the throat by his beloved tiger while on stage, Roy was told he would never walk, talk or perform magic again.
But he defied all odds to make a remarkable recovery, despite having to have part of his brain cut away, suffering a crushed windpipe and being partially paralyzed, according to the Las Vegas Sun.
The friends, who were famed for their magic show that incorporated a menagerie of elephants, tigers and lions into illusion acts, ended their famed Mirage show in 2003.
After a run of 30,000 shows that were watched by up to 400,000 people each year, the showmen decided to retire from their Las Vegas production.
Roy admits that he was a 'little bit handicapped,' by the incident that both deny was an attack by their white tiger.
Unwind: Siegfried walks with a friend along a beach as the Las Vegas illusionist vacations
Taking it easy: It has been ten years since Siegfried, left, and Roy have performed their famed show
'I can do a lot of things. I can walk, I can go swimming, I can go to the gym, I can go shopping,' he told People last year.
The showmen, who met while working on a cruise ship in 1957, are currently vacationing together in Hawaii with a friend.
Masters of illusion: Siegfried and Roy performed their Las Vegas show more than 30,000 times
Close call: Roy is rushed to hospital in October 2003 after being grabbed by a tiger at the Mirage
Show business: Siegfried and Roy were famed for their shows that combined magic with exotic animals
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Massive mayfly swarm that emerged along Mississippi was so huge it lit up weather radar, caused traffic collisions and blacked out the sun
- Hall of Fame pitcher Goose Gossage helps print money at Denver Mint
- Parents who lost three children on MH17 flight tell of agony
- Peaches Geldof found dead at home
- Expert describes effect of missile hit on MH17
- Scientists discover the new black: British researchers devise material so dark it looks like a black hole
- Mekayla Diehl claims 'That Miss USA bikini did NOT fit me well!'
- Toronto coder Lyndsay Kirkham live-tweets 'IBM executives sexist remarks'
- 'Basically, I was against all white people.' Hoops superstar Michael Jordan admitted he turned racist when a girl at school called him a 'n****r,' new book reveals
- Two-legged stray dog gives birth to four puppies in China (and their legs are all in order!)
- Homeless woman who fell asleep in parking space dies after being run over by driver who didn't see her
- Igor Girkin says 'MH17 bodies aren't fresh' as he claims corpses had been 'dead for days'
- Meet the seven women of Bravo's 'Ladies of London' whose drinking, cat fighting, royal name dropping and even labor scenes are coming to TV
- Germany's WAGs invade pitch after World Cup win and carry on partying all night
- Tearful Leno says goodbye after 22 years as Obama and host of stars pay tribute on his final show
- Dad pranks children and drenches them with giant water balloon
- Philip Chism 'recorded video of rape and murder of his teacher Colleen Ritzer on his cell phone'
- Adios England: Agony and despair as Uruguay's 2-1 victory destroys virtually any hope of going through to the next stage of World Cup
- One Direction's luxury homes are a world away from the modest houses they grew up in
- Miracle baby of Pan Am Flight 759 who survived when jetliner crashed into her house in 1982 speaks out after tragedy's 32nd anniversary
- Did Miguel Panduwinata predict the MH17 plane crash?
- Sheriff's office mystery account raises questions
- Airbnb squatters refusing to leave apartment complain THEY'RE being harassed
- El Paso County assessor faces new accusation
- Planned Parenthood counselor 'intentionally misclassified rape by a teen sexual predator as consensual to avoid the hassle of reporting it'
- The trail of death: Moment surface-to-air missile was fired at MH17, blowing plane apart in mid-air and killing 298 people
- So poignant, lost children of Flight MH17: Smiling happily in family snapshots, some of the innocent victims of the tragedy
- Philip Seymour Hoffman split from partner Mimi O'Donnell in troubled last months
- Miss Colorado Teen Runner-Up Kristy Althaus 'stripped of title' after it emerges she starred in porn film
- 'Does every princess NEED a prince?' Hilarious parody of Disney's Frozen sees Elsa inject the film with 'girl power'
- Jimi Hendrix' former girlfriend slams upcoming biopic of the rock and roll star that includes scenes of brutal domestic violence as 'completely made up'
- Transgender woman, Chloie Jonsson, sues CrossFit over women's competition
- Sudanese Meriam Ibrahim, facing execution for marrying Christian, gives birth in jail
- John Travolta can't stop former pilot bringing lawsuit so he can reveal secrets of his time working for the star, judge rules
- MH17 eyewitness accounts emerge of the horror that unfolded at crash site
- Goldman Sachs managing director Nicholas Valtz, 39, found dead after kiteboarding outing
- Sculpt your figure, lift your bust AND boost your confidence: Yes! You can wear sexy lingerie in your 50s
- Katie Cleary's husband Andrew Stern filed for divorce just weeks ago before killing himself at shooting range
- Despair in Miami: Heat fans mourn the loss of 'King James' to his 'home' in Cleveland by vandalizing mural featuring LeBron's face that took two years to create
- 'What happened to Misty is a nightmare': California robbery victim's family hold tearful press conference
- Facebook creates 'look back' video for 21-year-old guitarist who died in his sleep after emotional plea from his father
- Lion cubs block traffic in Kruger National Park
- Rape victim Jada is trolled by internet users copying the pose she collapsed in
- Police say Craigslist victim Charles Oppenneer was dead before head was removed
- Manchester United 7-0 LA Galaxy: Wayne Rooney, Reece James and Ashley Young doubles ensure perfect start for Louis van Gaal
- Dino Guglielmelli jailed for offering 'hitman' $80k to murder wife
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- 'My son saved his attacker's life': Father who pounded admitted child molester into a 'bloody puddle' claims son stopped him from stabbing admitted pedophile to death
- Soldier's mother in rock attack may NEVER see again after doctors remove parts of brain
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Cornell Robinson, Devery Kelley accused of robbing pregnant woman in labor in Maryland
- Father needed hospital treatment for three inch gash in his head after being attacked by his neighbour's cat because it hated his Hugo Boss AFTERSHAVE
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Business student 'posed on online dating sites as a high-flying engineer and architect to dupe love-struck women from around the world out of £186,000'
- Children undergo traditional 'lucky haircuts' in China (but don't seem happy about it!)
- And the Oscar goes to Samsung, Twitter AND Apple: How Ellen's backstage iPhone antics took the gloss off the now famous A-list selfie retweet taken on rival Galaxy smartphone
- Pictured: The men who stole the car of woman in labor at gunpoint
- Unseasonably warm weather set to make 1,000-mile Iditarod race even MORE grueling as mushers set off