Siegfried and Roy enjoy life away from the limelight more than 10 years after white tiger brought an end to their famed Las Vegas show
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 20:07 EST, 5 February 2014 | UPDATED: 21:37 EST, 5 February 2014
After decades of entertaining Las Vegas tourists, Siegfried and Roy appear to be taking it easy, after a freak accident with a tiger forced them to slow down.
It has been just over ten years since one of the famed entertainers' white tigers dragged Roy off stage in the Mirage.
Roy, 69, who was left seriously injured after being grabbed by the throat during a live performance in 2003, was pictured Wednesday soaking up the scenery from his wheelchair in a Hawaii resort.
Relaxation: Roy is pictured being pushed in a wheelchair during a vacation to Hawaii
Showman: Siegfried stands on a Hawaii beach as he vacations with on-stage partner Roy
His on-stage partner Siegfried also appeared to be slowing down after years in the limelight, as the 74-year-old strolled barefoot in the sand.
Since Roy was mauled, Siegfried has dedicated his time and energy to making sure his showbusiness partner recovered.
After being grabbed round the throat by his beloved tiger while on stage, Roy was told he would never walk, talk or perform magic again.
But he defied all odds to make a remarkable recovery, despite having to have part of his brain cut away, suffering a crushed windpipe and being partially paralyzed, according to the Las Vegas Sun.
The friends, who were famed for their magic show that incorporated a menagerie of elephants, tigers and lions into illusion acts, ended their famed Mirage show in 2003.
After a run of 30,000 shows that were watched by up to 400,000 people each year, the showmen decided to retire from their Las Vegas production.
Roy admits that he was a 'little bit handicapped,' by the incident that both deny was an attack by their white tiger.
Unwind: Siegfried walks with a friend along a beach as the Las Vegas illusionist vacations
Taking it easy: It has been ten years since Siegfried, left, and Roy have performed their famed show
'I can do a lot of things. I can walk, I can go swimming, I can go to the gym, I can go shopping,' he told People last year.
The showmen, who met while working on a cruise ship in 1957, are currently vacationing together in Hawaii with a friend.
Masters of illusion: Siegfried and Roy performed their Las Vegas show more than 30,000 times
Close call: Roy is rushed to hospital in October 2003 after being grabbed by a tiger at the Mirage
Show business: Siegfried and Roy were famed for their shows that combined magic with exotic animals
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Grace Hall of Eats Amazing blog turns son's lunchboxes into works of art
- 'New low' for Joan Rivers as women held captive by Ariel Castro demand apology for Today show joke she made at their expense
- Police hunt for couple on the run with two-year-old daughter after their young baby was found dead in their home
- Exercise video with dancing poodles goes viral... 10 years after it first came out
- Husband and wife, both police officers in Chicago, dead in apparent murder-suicide
- Nurse aid charged with sex assault on 71-year-old woman
- Lawyer Jason Bohn sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend Danielle Thomas
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- Toddler mauled by pit bull visited in hospital by officers who saved her life
- Influx of migrants across Mediterranean has reached 'Biblical proportions', Italy's navy chief warns, as criminal gangs wreak havoc on the high seas
- 'Avengers 2': First glimpses of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver from 'Age of Ultron'
- Tattoos and talons: Inside the world of Japan's Bosozoku gang girls where the women are just as bad ass as the men
- Deputies use tear gas to subdue driver who led pursuit in moving van
- 3 men face felony charges, accused of selling illegal pot edibles
- Congresswoman SUED by family of woman killed by drunk-driving staffer
- Diane Keaton stands by director Woody Allen in wake of abuse allegations
- Avon High School in Indiana students lip sync for charity in choreographed video
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- Woman spends $15,000 on plastic surgery to take perfect 'selfies'
- Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr. post photos from 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' shoot
- Sharny Kieser encourages women to have a bikini shoot after losing pregnancy weight
- Whoopi Goldberg writes of marijuana use, love of vape pen
- Ringleader of child pornography website called 'Kingdom of Future Dreams' said community members were his 'family'
- Damon Wayans Jr. and Jake Johnson’s new movie, ‘Let’s Be Cops’
- Pictured hours before his fatal slip in New York bar: Camilla's brother Mark Shand, 62, smiling for camera's with his 'secret fianceé, Ruth Powys, 36, and Princess Eugenie
- Man demands realtor takes back mansion he leased for knock-down price after discovering it is 'haunted' after gruesome murder took place there
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Adreian Payne's friendship with Lacey Holsworth fighting cancer
- Adam Pearson hopes to beat prejudice after Under The Skin
- Accused murderer wants 'murder' neck tattoo removed before his trial
- Scientists develop 3D jellifed 'smoothfood' that looks just like our everyday meals
- James Franco posts bed selfie with 'Pretty Little Liars' star
- NHL suspends Cooke 7 games for hit on Avs’ Barrie
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Hope the dog SET ON FIRE by its owner making slow recovery in intensive care unit at Tampa veterinary hospital
- Police: Utah woman killed 7 infants, stored bodies in garage
- Two teens and man who stopped to help them killed in Miami car crash
- Chocolate demand in China outstripping cocoa bean production
- Suspect arrested after gunfire reported near Arvada school
- 'Don't let me die': Veteran's tearful plea before he succumbed to cancer without ever receiving treatment as it emerges that 'Phoenix VA kept up to 1,600 patients on a secret wait list'
- ICE uncovers two drug smuggling tunnels linking San Diego and Tijuana, Mexico
- Pictures show how Kilauea volcano wiped out Kalapana village in Hawaii
- Ohio teacher fired after telling black student he didn't need another black president after Obama
- Crikey! William channels 'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin in top-to-toe khaki (but at least he didn't wear his father's safari suit)
- Incredible footage of Blue Angels planes flying in tandem
- Family discover ghostly image of Victorian girl in photos from Castle Museum in York visit
- Living on a Dollar a Day: New book puts a face to the 1.6 billion people on earth who live in extreme poverty
- Drunken girl, 18, rushed from Canadian Prime Minister's mansion in the middle of the night with alcohol poisoning 'after attending his teenage son's birthday party'
- Yankee pitcher tossed out of game after umpire finds pine tar on his neck just two weeks after same pitcher was seen with
Death toll in Washington mudslide 'rises to 24' with dozens still missing: Hope fades that any survivors will be found as rescuers recover two more bodies and believe they have located eight others 'underground' (0)