Siegfried and Roy enjoy life away from the limelight more than 10 years after white tiger brought an end to their famed Las Vegas show
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 20:07 EST, 5 February 2014 | UPDATED: 21:37 EST, 5 February 2014
After decades of entertaining Las Vegas tourists, Siegfried and Roy appear to be taking it easy, after a freak accident with a tiger forced them to slow down.
It has been just over ten years since one of the famed entertainers' white tigers dragged Roy off stage in the Mirage.
Roy, 69, who was left seriously injured after being grabbed by the throat during a live performance in 2003, was pictured Wednesday soaking up the scenery from his wheelchair in a Hawaii resort.
Relaxation: Roy is pictured being pushed in a wheelchair during a vacation to Hawaii
Showman: Siegfried stands on a Hawaii beach as he vacations with on-stage partner Roy
His on-stage partner Siegfried also appeared to be slowing down after years in the limelight, as the 74-year-old strolled barefoot in the sand.
Since Roy was mauled, Siegfried has dedicated his time and energy to making sure his showbusiness partner recovered.
After being grabbed round the throat by his beloved tiger while on stage, Roy was told he would never walk, talk or perform magic again.
But he defied all odds to make a remarkable recovery, despite having to have part of his brain cut away, suffering a crushed windpipe and being partially paralyzed, according to the Las Vegas Sun.
The friends, who were famed for their magic show that incorporated a menagerie of elephants, tigers and lions into illusion acts, ended their famed Mirage show in 2003.
After a run of 30,000 shows that were watched by up to 400,000 people each year, the showmen decided to retire from their Las Vegas production.
Roy admits that he was a 'little bit handicapped,' by the incident that both deny was an attack by their white tiger.
Unwind: Siegfried walks with a friend along a beach as the Las Vegas illusionist vacations
Taking it easy: It has been ten years since Siegfried, left, and Roy have performed their famed show
'I can do a lot of things. I can walk, I can go swimming, I can go to the gym, I can go shopping,' he told People last year.
The showmen, who met while working on a cruise ship in 1957, are currently vacationing together in Hawaii with a friend.
Masters of illusion: Siegfried and Roy performed their Las Vegas show more than 30,000 times
Close call: Roy is rushed to hospital in October 2003 after being grabbed by a tiger at the Mirage
Show business: Siegfried and Roy were famed for their shows that combined magic with exotic animals
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Flower girl, 4, who took her first steps - thanks to a harness attached to her dad
- Lesbian police chief Crystal Moore is fired by new mayor Earl Bullard who was caught saying he'd rather have an alcoholic near his child than a gay couple
- Fire board members host meeting to talk about budget
- Bodies of teen girl on Spring break and her 33-year-old aunt pulled from Lake Erie after they went missing with two men on fishing trip
- Scientists develop 'Star Trek' scanner that can detect cancer, HIV and other killer diseases in minutes
- 'Scottish aristocrats' who had luxury lakeside home charged with fraud
- Miss Teen Arizona wins 2 months after losing parents in a plane crash
- VIDEO: Texas Roadhouse burglars smash camera after being recorded
- Black Forest residents ask district attorney to look into fire board's spending
- Daniel Radcliffe says 'Harry Potter' was an 'amazing springboard' for his career
- Taye Diggs dating model Amanza Smith Brown
- Fake kidnapping of boy from a park for video stunt sparks outrage
- CSP: ‘Very serious crash’ involves school bus in Larimer County
- Inventor spends millions on RV to take his four year old around the world
- Wu-Tang Clan distance themselves from troubled rapper who cut off his own penis before attempting suicide
- Smoky Hill High School evacuated for isolated hazmat situation; no injuries reported
- Twitter user in trouble after joking threat to American Airlines
- Avalanche kills 13 in single-deadliest accident on Mount Everest
- 'Perhaps there are some unconventional ways to lure me away from my company (besides stock options): The incredibly sexist email a man headhunted by female CEO sent, hinting he'd only join her company in exchange for sexual favors
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Adolf Hitler postcard sent during World War 1 about dentist trip
- Rascal Flatts admits to lip-syncing at at ACM Awards
- Russian millionaire Pavel Ushanov on the run after beating girlfriend
- 'Clerical error' allowed convicted Cornealious 'Mike' Anderson to walk free
- 'I can do anything if I put my mind to it. It's just different than how I used to': Teen who had fingers amputated after passing out in subzero temperatures following a night of drinking begins her recovery
- 'Pull up your pants or be proud to be a f@%': Southern store owner posts sign with a homophobic slur to deter customers from wearing baggy pants
- Former KKK members speak out to reveal even THEY thought Kansas 'shooter' Frazier Glenn Cross was a 'loose cannon'
- Four questioned over killing of llama that ran through Trinidad
- Construction worker fined after not paying for 89 cent drink refill
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- Microsoft honors the placid landscape that is the Windows XP default computer background as it says goodbye to XP support after 13 years
- Female teacher accused of lesbian relationship with student avoids jail
- Duchess of Cambridge Kate wears blue coat dress at wreath-laying ceremony in New Zealand
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Dutch teen is ARRESTED in Rotterdam after tweeting 'joke' bomb threat to American Airlines
- Royal couple are mobbed on Manly beach as they meet lifeguards
- A mother's grief: Heartbreaking moment a hippo finds her dead baby and guards it, howling in sorrow
- Peaches Geldof found dead at home
- Deb’s Mommy blog: Getting ready for our new baby
- VIDEO: Feds and militia members face off over Nevada rancher’s cattle
- Footballers end boycott of coach wrongly accused of child porn charges as they announce they will train under him
- Meet the lion skin-clad queen of Nambia's Okwanyama tribe, who lives inside a LABYRINTH
- Pope Francis warns Christians Satan is trying to tempt you
- Susannah Birch: My mother cut my throat when I was just two but I survived
- Man killed in Thornton vehicle-pedestrian crash
- A true rock icon: Fender Stratocaster guitar played by Buddy Holly, Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton celebrates its 60th anniversary
- Cristal Richardson gets life for castration and fatal stabbing
- WATCH: Michigan judge yells at convicted killer — ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Childhood bullying can lead to suicide even 40 years later: Devastating effects can last well into middle age, researchers find