Siegfried and Roy enjoy life away from the limelight more than 10 years after white tiger brought an end to their famed Las Vegas show
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 20:07 EST, 5 February 2014 | UPDATED: 21:37 EST, 5 February 2014
After decades of entertaining Las Vegas tourists, Siegfried and Roy appear to be taking it easy, after a freak accident with a tiger forced them to slow down.
It has been just over ten years since one of the famed entertainers' white tigers dragged Roy off stage in the Mirage.
Roy, 69, who was left seriously injured after being grabbed by the throat during a live performance in 2003, was pictured Wednesday soaking up the scenery from his wheelchair in a Hawaii resort.
Relaxation: Roy is pictured being pushed in a wheelchair during a vacation to Hawaii
Showman: Siegfried stands on a Hawaii beach as he vacations with on-stage partner Roy
His on-stage partner Siegfried also appeared to be slowing down after years in the limelight, as the 74-year-old strolled barefoot in the sand.
Since Roy was mauled, Siegfried has dedicated his time and energy to making sure his showbusiness partner recovered.
After being grabbed round the throat by his beloved tiger while on stage, Roy was told he would never walk, talk or perform magic again.
But he defied all odds to make a remarkable recovery, despite having to have part of his brain cut away, suffering a crushed windpipe and being partially paralyzed, according to the Las Vegas Sun.
The friends, who were famed for their magic show that incorporated a menagerie of elephants, tigers and lions into illusion acts, ended their famed Mirage show in 2003.
After a run of 30,000 shows that were watched by up to 400,000 people each year, the showmen decided to retire from their Las Vegas production.
Roy admits that he was a 'little bit handicapped,' by the incident that both deny was an attack by their white tiger.
Unwind: Siegfried walks with a friend along a beach as the Las Vegas illusionist vacations
Taking it easy: It has been ten years since Siegfried, left, and Roy have performed their famed show
'I can do a lot of things. I can walk, I can go swimming, I can go to the gym, I can go shopping,' he told People last year.
The showmen, who met while working on a cruise ship in 1957, are currently vacationing together in Hawaii with a friend.
Masters of illusion: Siegfried and Roy performed their Las Vegas show more than 30,000 times
Close call: Roy is rushed to hospital in October 2003 after being grabbed by a tiger at the Mirage
Show business: Siegfried and Roy were famed for their shows that combined magic with exotic animals
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Man charged with stealing 43 bikes around Boulder
- The strange life of Richard Parker, the 'mail bomber' accused of killing in-laws
- Adorable baby dresses up as all your favorite TV characters
- Father calls 911 for help after enraged cat attacks baby then bails whole family - including DOG - up in bedroom
- Google Glass has new rival with fashionable Icis smart specs
- Terror fears over missing 777 grow: Identities of ANOTHER two passengers probed as suspicion falls on four who booked with Chinese airline
- The sickening smile of the teen accused of the 'satanic ritual murder' of a 15-year-old girl who was kidnapped, raped and then bashed to death with the lid of a toilet
- Mayim Bialik defends public breastfeeding
- Why are the cellphones of missing Malaysian Airlines passengers still ringing? Family members claim that loved ones smartphones are still active
- Missing Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 plane collided with another plane 2 years ago
- 'Whatever you do don't get the McCafe!' Fast food workers reveal the foods you should never order
- Steve Irwin's cameraman Justin Lyons reveals his final words
- Joanna Dennehy: Laughing serial killer jailed for life
- Twin sisters Lucy and Anna DeCinque pay £130k to make them look more similar
- Young blonde says missing Malaysia Airlines pilot invited her and her friend to ride in the cockpit with him for entire flight in 2011
- Michael Rockefeller WAS eaten by cannibals who kept his bones as souvenirs, claims Carl Hoffman who says his years of research proves that the Dutch covered up 1961 murder in New Guinea
- Naked ambition: Hundreds of skinny dippers attempt world record for the largest nude ocean swim on Sydney beach
- Ellen Degeneres prompts mixed reviews as Oscars 2014 host
- Protesters discover treasures at Viktor Yanukovych's home
- Trial begins for man, 51, 'who killed his sister and brother-in-law 26 years ago because he was worried she would reveal they had sex as teenagers'
- Texas boys confess to classmate's murder after police catch them hiding body
- Reunited: Descendants of 12 Years a Slave man Solomon Northup
- Who's afraid of the big dead wolf? Children react as animal is DISSECTED, days after country's zoo was criticised for killing a giraffe
- Family of 21-year-old who was strangled and raped while six-months' pregnant campaign to overturn law that let her killer avoid murder charge because he was drunk
- Does final call to married 'lover' hold key to missing girl's disappearance? Man, 38, said to be romantically linked to Heather, 20, admits he spoke to her on night she vanished as he and wife are charged for obstructing justice
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'Putin is playing chess, we're playing MARBLES': Weak Obama has been out-foxed by Russian PM over Ukraine, says politicians from both parties as head of Kiev's navy defects to Moscow
- Oscar Pistorius might not have KILLED his girlfriend deliberately
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Kansas City-area spelling bee finally ends after 95 rounds
- Explosion at VA Hospital construction site rocks Aurora neighborhood
- Fast food employees accuse Moschino of 'mocking' minimum wage earners
- Ferrari parked in London square gouged by lorry tailgate
- Jasmine Joseph missing as parents reveal she hadn't been to college since last May
- Leeches sucked away my aches and pains! Sceptical? So was Claudia Connell until she tried the latest health fad
- Former CNN journalist Miles O'Brien reveals he had his arm AMPUTATED after freak injury caused by falling luggage
- Coroner identifies 3 killed in suspected Thornton double-murder suicide
- Crowdpilot app lets ANYONE listen in on your phone calls and give advice
- Attorneys for man accused of hacking off ex-girlfriend's hands with a machete claim he was too drunk to be convicted of attempted murder
- Homeowner releases video of realtors having sex '10 TIMES' in his property
- 'We know who one of the men on stolen passports on vanished plane was - and we don't think he is a terrorist': Malaysian police say he was Iranian asylum seeker, 19, on way to Europe
- Rachel Holt, jailed for repeated sex with student, 13, wants sentence reduced
- Coroner IDs school bus driver killed in crash on US 285
- Tiger Woods hits fan in head with opening tee shot... and then another
- Severed heads found at hotel serving human flesh
- Couple accused of killing Nancy Pfister in court for first tine
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Three-year-old boy makes compelling argument for cupcakes for dinner
- Arizona woman Catalina Clouser who left baby on car roof pleads guilty
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Cornell Robinson, Devery Kelley accused of robbing pregnant woman in labor in Maryland
- Father needed hospital treatment for three inch gash in his head after being attacked by his neighbour's cat because it hated his Hugo Boss AFTERSHAVE
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Business student 'posed on online dating sites as a high-flying engineer and architect to dupe love-struck women from around the world out of £186,000'
- Children undergo traditional 'lucky haircuts' in China (but don't seem happy about it!)
- And the Oscar goes to Samsung, Twitter AND Apple: How Ellen's backstage iPhone antics took the gloss off the now famous A-list selfie retweet taken on rival Galaxy smartphone
- Pictured: The men who stole the car of woman in labor at gunpoint
- Unseasonably warm weather set to make 1,000-mile Iditarod race even MORE grueling as mushers set off