Washington, DC Firefighters refuse to help dying man
|Washington DC firefighters refused to help Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, pictured, three times despite the fact he had collapsed right across the street from their firehouse and told concerned witnesses to call 911. Source: Supplied|
THREE times people people went to a DC firehouse seeking help for a man who had collapsed across the street but they were told to call 911.
The Washington Post reports that Marie Mills held her 77-year-old father, Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, in her arms in a Washington, DC, car park after he suffered a massive heart attack.
The pair was at a shopping centre to drop off a broken computer at a repair shop. They were walking out when Mr Mills stopped talking and tumbled to the pavement.
A number of witnesses noticed a firehouse across the street and raced to get help only to be told by firefighters that they couldn't respond unless someone called 911.
"Can you just come and help my dad?" Ms Mills screamed. "What are you going to do, let my dad die in the street?"
"Several people told me the guy behind the door wouldn’t open the door,” Ms Mills said. "He told them, ‘There’s nothing I can do if my lieutenant doesn’t tell me to go.'"
She said the same firefighter was seen later in the open bay door, leaning against a truck, with his arms folded.
Heartbroken ... Marie Mills tried to get help for her father who had collapsed following a massive heart attack but despite a firehouse being right across the street, firefighters told her to call 911.
It took about 20 minutes for help to arrive and only then because a police officer flagged down a passing ambulance.
However it was too late - Mr Mills died later that afternoon.
"There are no words to describe how this city has failed," Ms Mills said.
His death is being investigated and 15 firefighters on duty that day have been called in to headquarters to explain their lack of action.
Neither side disputes the claim of how events transpired.
"I’m quite disturbed and disappointed by what appears to be an inappropriate response," said Paul A. Quander Jr., the deputy mayor for public safety.
The firehouse in Washington DC that refused to help a man that was dying across the road.
"Mr Mills was someone that worked for the District for a number of years, and the pain and the anguish that the family has gone through is unacceptable. There will be no rush to judgment, but we will be thorough, we will be precise and then we will act."
It comes despite Washington, DC being in the middle of implementing reforms about emergency responses after the 2006 death of retired New York Times reporter and editor David E. Rosenbaum, who died after emergency personnel mistook the effects of injuries from a vicious mugging for public intoxication and labelled the incident low-priority.
On New Year’s Day 2013, a 71-year-old man died of a heart attack after waiting more than 30 minutes for an ambulance on a day when one-third of the firefighters on duty had called in sick.
Edward Smith, president of the DC firefighters union, called Ms Mills to apologise.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Michele Bachmann put under federal protection after online threat from ISIS to killer outspoken lawmaker
By Francesca Chambers for MailOnline Published: 09:49 EST, 21 October 2014 | Updated: 10:03 EST, 21 October 2014 ...
- Hailee Lamberth's parents sue school for 'not telling them she was bullied'
- Former Navy SEAL Kristin Beck, who retired to become female, speaks at conference of transgender soldiers to discuss U.S. military's ban
- School board upholds suspension of football coaches whose players were sexually assaulting teammates - as angry adults and current players come out to defend the men
- Celebrities react to Oscar de la Renta's death
- EXCLUSIVE: Empty corridors, snow-free mountains and the weird Dome Cafe: Inside North Korea's deserted ski resort which Kim Jong-un says is 'impeccable'
- Crime boss heading one of Mexico's most violent drug cartels is arrested while enjoying trip in the U.S. and faces life in prison
- Young boy bursts in to tears meeting Darth Vader as he goes on campaign trail for Ukrainian election
- Megan Mahoney busted for having sex with 16-year-old student
- Pictured in his final moments: Canadian reservist soldier and father Nathan Cirillo, 24, photographed SECONDS before he was shot dead by Michael Zehaf-Bibeau
- Will Smith to produce 'Hitch' series for Fox
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Brazilian murderer Tiago Henrique Gomes da Rocha killed 'because he was sexually abused'
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Leslie Jones promoted on Saturday Night Live to on-camera star
- ISIS's weirdest Western jihadi: Australian 17-year-old who vows to fly Islamist flag over Buckingham Palace and now calls himself Abu Khaled (but his family call him 'idiot')
- Man missing 9 years found dead in car in Ohio pond
- Worrying truth about what teenage girls think of their bodies...and what their mums feel when they find out
- Qantas' new business class seats allow you to fully recline and SLEEP
- The cats squeeze themselves into the most unbelievable spaces
- Mishay Simpson 'shot ex-lover Andrew Noll when he broke into her home'
- 'We knew who these guys were but didn't follow up': Edward Snowden calls Boston Marathon bombing a surveillance failure... as intelligence ex-chief says NSA leaks drove terrorists underground
- How to boost YOUR mobile phone's battery life: Interactive guide gives tailor-made tips for individual handsets
- Man on fire runs through Brooklyn with clothes MELTING off his body after blast 'sparked by hookah pipe chemicals'
- Prankster gets knocked out by guy he hit in the face with a pizza
- Terms of Service
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Isabelle Stapleton's mother Kelli describes morning she tried to kill them both
- Benedict Cumberbatch wax figure unveiled at Madame Tussauds London
- Mango forced to apologize for 'anti-Semitic' shirt bearing lightning bolts similar to insignia worn by the SS in Nazi Germany
- Funeral director to scatter his father's ashes with a fireworks display
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Britney Spears' manager dishes on infamous VMAs kiss with Madonna
- Kate dazzles in baby blue gown at black tie event at the Natural History Museum as she makes second public appearance of the day after battle with severe morning sickness
- Renee Zellweger responds to criticism of her new look
- O Canada! Pittsburgh fans sing Canadian national anthem at NHL game as show of support after Ottawa terrorist attack
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Malala Yousafzai receives Philadelphia Liberty Medal: Teenage Nobel laureate joins Nelson Mandela, Thurgood Marshall and Jimmy Carter in winning prestigious honor
- The ghosts of U576 found 30 miles off the Carolina coast, 72 years after doomed submarine sank when captain launched a suicidal attack against merchant vessel
- Anni Dewani's cousin was told that Anni and Shrien were only 'acting'
- Man charged with killing Saudi college student
- Woman's home is foreclosed and sold at auction after failing to pay a $95 tax bill - but none of the letters ever reached her... except the one telling her she has to move out by Thanksgiving!
- Oscar Pistorius to finally learn sentence for killing Reeva Steenkamp
- Revealed, Oregon's First Lady took older ex-lover (and pot-farm partner) on romantic Siberian trip just weeks after she was paid $5,000 for 'green card wedding' to Ethiopian immigrant