Washington, DC Firefighters refuse to help dying man
|Washington DC firefighters refused to help Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, pictured, three times despite the fact he had collapsed right across the street from their firehouse and told concerned witnesses to call 911. Source: Supplied|
THREE times people people went to a DC firehouse seeking help for a man who had collapsed across the street but they were told to call 911.
The Washington Post reports that Marie Mills held her 77-year-old father, Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, in her arms in a Washington, DC, car park after he suffered a massive heart attack.
The pair was at a shopping centre to drop off a broken computer at a repair shop. They were walking out when Mr Mills stopped talking and tumbled to the pavement.
A number of witnesses noticed a firehouse across the street and raced to get help only to be told by firefighters that they couldn't respond unless someone called 911.
"Can you just come and help my dad?" Ms Mills screamed. "What are you going to do, let my dad die in the street?"
"Several people told me the guy behind the door wouldn’t open the door,” Ms Mills said. "He told them, ‘There’s nothing I can do if my lieutenant doesn’t tell me to go.'"
She said the same firefighter was seen later in the open bay door, leaning against a truck, with his arms folded.
Heartbroken ... Marie Mills tried to get help for her father who had collapsed following a massive heart attack but despite a firehouse being right across the street, firefighters told her to call 911.
It took about 20 minutes for help to arrive and only then because a police officer flagged down a passing ambulance.
However it was too late - Mr Mills died later that afternoon.
"There are no words to describe how this city has failed," Ms Mills said.
His death is being investigated and 15 firefighters on duty that day have been called in to headquarters to explain their lack of action.
Neither side disputes the claim of how events transpired.
"I’m quite disturbed and disappointed by what appears to be an inappropriate response," said Paul A. Quander Jr., the deputy mayor for public safety.
The firehouse in Washington DC that refused to help a man that was dying across the road.
"Mr Mills was someone that worked for the District for a number of years, and the pain and the anguish that the family has gone through is unacceptable. There will be no rush to judgment, but we will be thorough, we will be precise and then we will act."
It comes despite Washington, DC being in the middle of implementing reforms about emergency responses after the 2006 death of retired New York Times reporter and editor David E. Rosenbaum, who died after emergency personnel mistook the effects of injuries from a vicious mugging for public intoxication and labelled the incident low-priority.
On New Year’s Day 2013, a 71-year-old man died of a heart attack after waiting more than 30 minutes for an ambulance on a day when one-third of the firefighters on duty had called in sick.
Edward Smith, president of the DC firefighters union, called Ms Mills to apologise.
- Lesbian police chief Crystal Moore is fired by new mayor Earl Bullard who was caught saying he'd rather have an alcoholic near his child than a gay couple
- Mother 'overdosed and smothered' her wheelchair-bound daughter, 12, suffering from rare genetic disorder before ending her own life in murder-suicide
- Anderson Cooper will NOT inherit any of his mother's Vanderbilt millions when she dies
- Tattoos and talons: Inside the world of Japan's Bosozoku gang girls where the women are just as bad ass as the men
- Six-month pregnant journalist taken to hospital for treatment after pro-Kremlin political leader ordered his aides to 'violently rape her' during press conference when she asked about sanctions against Ukraine
- No air pockets found on key floors of sunken South Korean ferry
- Chicago eye surgeon 'recorded patients with hidden video camera in ladies restroom'
- Man leaves bartender $1,000 tip for dog’s surgery
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- Adam Pearson hopes to beat prejudice after Under The Skin
- Heartbreaking farewell video Maddie Yates, 16, posted to YouTube before suicide
- Found in a suburban garden in Hampshire... the chilling 300-year-old skeletal remains from Napoleon's army
- Couple used hidden cameras to catch their own NANNY stealing their jewellery
- Drivers claim Colorado license plate led to pot suspicion
- Depressed panda is given a plasma TV screen in a bid to cheer her up
- Auto-motorcycle crash closes Highway 2 in Commerce City
- Husband and wife, both police officers in Chicago, dead in apparent murder-suicide
- Utah mom Megan Huntsman has bail set to $6m after 'admitting' to killing 6 babies
- Monty Python farewell show will be shown in movie theaters worldwide
- Parrot put on Prozac after being left in garage for three years for repeating name of owner's dead wife
- Al Roker's bicep needed to be reattached after rotator cuff surgery
- Two non-gypsy men reveal why they are marrying Romany sisters
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- BREAKING NEWS: 16-year-old boy survives UNHARMED after flying from California to Hawaii in the wheel-well
- Duke and Duchess learn to DJ: William and Kate hit the decks in Adelaide as they visit suburb named after the Queen
- 'Sizzurp' cough syrup used by Justin Bieber and Lil' Wayne has been pulled off the market amid manufacturer fears it's being abused as a drug
- Dane Witherspoon, soap opera star, dies at 56
- Parasitic diarrhea-causing amoeba kills human cells 'like a piranha'
- Montana inmate dies at Colorado prison
- Google Glass wearing doctors in Boston save patients life using controversial device specially adapted for hospitals
- Dellan Millard accused of murdering and burning married father last year now suspected as SERIAL KILLER after police link him to slayings of his own father and girlfriend
- Spanish town to change its name because it contains the phrase 'Jew Killer'....which is local slang for drinking lemonade
- Car thief is forced to pull over and release an infant and a pair of seven year old twin boys after they beat the driver with a toy snake until he let them go
- NASA astronauts claim the 'only thing preventing a city-killer asteroid is luck'
- Terry Richardson faces fresh harassment claims as British model alleges 'he offered her a Vogue photo-shoot in exchange for SEX'
- Sean Studler, 17, dragged by train and killed 'was wearing headphones'
- Wife murdered by NYPD cop husband Kevin Canty 'for having an affair'
- Tech CEO Gurbaksh Chahal filmed brutally attacking girlfriend gets community service
- Trace Adkins' wife sets the scene for a bitter divorce with restraining order - as he's linked with curvacious blonde co-star
- Peaches Geldof found dead at home
- Rise of the robots: Humans will compete with droids for jobs by 2040, study claims
- Obama only ate HALF of the pricey dinner at the 'world's best sushi restaurant'
- Crucifix built for John Paul II collapses and crushes man to death
- Shocking images show Syrian thief blindfolded and CRUCIFIED by terrorist group linked to a British suicide bomber
- Captain America beats up the competition at the box office for third straight weekend while Johnny Depp disappoints again
- Vinay Pochampally 'groped sleeping woman's breast for FIVE MINUTES' on British Airways flight from London to San Francisco
- Bear attack in Florida raises questions
- South Korean sinking ship: Two found dead as rescuers try to save 325 terrified high school students
- 3 men face felony charges, accused of selling illegal pot edibles