Washington, DC Firefighters refuse to help dying man
|Washington DC firefighters refused to help Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, pictured, three times despite the fact he had collapsed right across the street from their firehouse and told concerned witnesses to call 911. Source: Supplied|
THREE times people people went to a DC firehouse seeking help for a man who had collapsed across the street but they were told to call 911.
The Washington Post reports that Marie Mills held her 77-year-old father, Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, in her arms in a Washington, DC, car park after he suffered a massive heart attack.
The pair was at a shopping centre to drop off a broken computer at a repair shop. They were walking out when Mr Mills stopped talking and tumbled to the pavement.
A number of witnesses noticed a firehouse across the street and raced to get help only to be told by firefighters that they couldn't respond unless someone called 911.
"Can you just come and help my dad?" Ms Mills screamed. "What are you going to do, let my dad die in the street?"
"Several people told me the guy behind the door wouldn’t open the door,” Ms Mills said. "He told them, ‘There’s nothing I can do if my lieutenant doesn’t tell me to go.'"
She said the same firefighter was seen later in the open bay door, leaning against a truck, with his arms folded.
Heartbroken ... Marie Mills tried to get help for her father who had collapsed following a massive heart attack but despite a firehouse being right across the street, firefighters told her to call 911.
It took about 20 minutes for help to arrive and only then because a police officer flagged down a passing ambulance.
However it was too late - Mr Mills died later that afternoon.
"There are no words to describe how this city has failed," Ms Mills said.
His death is being investigated and 15 firefighters on duty that day have been called in to headquarters to explain their lack of action.
Neither side disputes the claim of how events transpired.
"I’m quite disturbed and disappointed by what appears to be an inappropriate response," said Paul A. Quander Jr., the deputy mayor for public safety.
The firehouse in Washington DC that refused to help a man that was dying across the road.
"Mr Mills was someone that worked for the District for a number of years, and the pain and the anguish that the family has gone through is unacceptable. There will be no rush to judgment, but we will be thorough, we will be precise and then we will act."
It comes despite Washington, DC being in the middle of implementing reforms about emergency responses after the 2006 death of retired New York Times reporter and editor David E. Rosenbaum, who died after emergency personnel mistook the effects of injuries from a vicious mugging for public intoxication and labelled the incident low-priority.
On New Year’s Day 2013, a 71-year-old man died of a heart attack after waiting more than 30 minutes for an ambulance on a day when one-third of the firefighters on duty had called in sick.
Edward Smith, president of the DC firefighters union, called Ms Mills to apologise.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Law & Order actress details Bill Cosby's attempted sexual assault of her while working on The Cosby Show - and claims he did drug at least one woman on set
Michelle Hurd, the actor known for her work on Law & Order: SVU and Gossip Girl has come forward to share her story about Bill ...
- Unemployed nurse, 44, 'used a pillow to muffle the sounds of gunfire 'when she shot her three children in bed before trying to kill herself'
- Check your own butt! Hidden camera on New York woman's yoga pants catches men (and women) stealing a glance at her rear to raise awareness for prostate cancer
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Anna Wintour 'refuses to work at new Vogue offices' at 1 World Trade Center due to 'rat infestation'
- Terms of Service
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Don't fry this at home! Fire department shows how NOT to deep-fry a turkey this Thanksgiving
- Singer Richard Marx lists historic Chicago waterfront for sale at record $18M as he finalizes divorce from wife of 25 years
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Williamsfield, Ohio ranked America's most 'stressful' neighborhood
- Al Roker 'disciplined for slew of idiosyncratic outbursts on air' days after he broke world record for longest weathercast ever
- Michael Phelps' transgender 'girlfriend', 41, reveals she was jailed in 1992 for blackmailing $10,000 from businessman she met in a bar to pay for surgery
- More students sarcastically say,'#THANKS Michelle Obama' and post photos of their 'healthy' school meals
- Death row inmates wrongly convicted of Cleveland murder in 1975 walk free after
- Hundreds mourn beheaded American aid worker Peter Kassig during Muslim funeral service as top Syrian cleric threatens his killers with 'hellfire'
- Hilarious video of English bulldog being pushed in a playground swing
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Activist Terry Bean indicted for 'sexually abusing boy' with boyfriend in hotel
- Tiny parasitic tapeworm burrows its way through a man's brain for FOUR YEARS
- Twin Falls father 'kills' girlfriend and her daughter in murder-suicide
- Laurence Olivier on how affair with Noel Coward doomed his marriage
- Crystal meth before and after pictures of former beauty queen released
- Georgia mom arrested after one baby dies and other is found with detached retina
- Kendall Jenner compares her double life in fashion and reality TV to Hannah Montana
- Daisy the Labrador has helped find disease in 551 patients
- Beyonce puts her derriere on display in skimpy underwear as she prances around in new 'homemade' music video 7/11
- US Congress report debunks Benghazi attack claims
- Unbelievable footage of a tractor trailer jumping a record 83 FEET 7 INCHES over a Formula 1 car racing underneath
- Ferguson protesters 'threatening to rape officers' wives and kill children'
- Bill Cosby returns to the stage and receives standing ovation at benefit for women's organization as new actress comes forward to say he forced her into oral sex
- A view from the bottom in America's poorest city: Captivating photo series gives an intimate glimpse of the faces men, women and children struggling to get by on the streets of Philadelphia
- Bill Cosby gets another standing ovation as he performs for the first time in the United States since latest wave of rape allegations - and only one woman comes out to protest
- The secret of how size two Food Network chef Giada de Laurentiis stays so slim: She spits her own food into a bucket while filming
- Would you let YOUR four-year-old daughter do your makeup? The spectacular, abstract creations by little girls armed with mascara, lipstick and a tray of multicolored eyeshadow
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Mississippi and West Virginia are the fattest states in the U.S. - but everyone is more overweight than they imagine
- Miracle On 34th Street comes alive as Macy's unveils its holiday windows with just over a month to go before Christmas
- Loretta Doyle Burroughs dragged husband's remains along each time she moved, says his brother
- Robin Williams' son Zak speaks for the first time about his father's death
- Parents of aid worker Peter Kassig beheaded by ISIS tweet they had adopted their son at birth and publicly thank his biological mother and two siblings by name
- Photographer Gerald Donovan snaps selfie on top of Dubai's Burj Khalifa