Washington, DC Firefighters refuse to help dying man
|Washington DC firefighters refused to help Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, pictured, three times despite the fact he had collapsed right across the street from their firehouse and told concerned witnesses to call 911. Source: Supplied|
THREE times people people went to a DC firehouse seeking help for a man who had collapsed across the street but they were told to call 911.
The Washington Post reports that Marie Mills held her 77-year-old father, Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, in her arms in a Washington, DC, car park after he suffered a massive heart attack.
The pair was at a shopping centre to drop off a broken computer at a repair shop. They were walking out when Mr Mills stopped talking and tumbled to the pavement.
A number of witnesses noticed a firehouse across the street and raced to get help only to be told by firefighters that they couldn't respond unless someone called 911.
"Can you just come and help my dad?" Ms Mills screamed. "What are you going to do, let my dad die in the street?"
"Several people told me the guy behind the door wouldn’t open the door,” Ms Mills said. "He told them, ‘There’s nothing I can do if my lieutenant doesn’t tell me to go.'"
She said the same firefighter was seen later in the open bay door, leaning against a truck, with his arms folded.
Heartbroken ... Marie Mills tried to get help for her father who had collapsed following a massive heart attack but despite a firehouse being right across the street, firefighters told her to call 911.
It took about 20 minutes for help to arrive and only then because a police officer flagged down a passing ambulance.
However it was too late - Mr Mills died later that afternoon.
"There are no words to describe how this city has failed," Ms Mills said.
His death is being investigated and 15 firefighters on duty that day have been called in to headquarters to explain their lack of action.
Neither side disputes the claim of how events transpired.
"I’m quite disturbed and disappointed by what appears to be an inappropriate response," said Paul A. Quander Jr., the deputy mayor for public safety.
The firehouse in Washington DC that refused to help a man that was dying across the road.
"Mr Mills was someone that worked for the District for a number of years, and the pain and the anguish that the family has gone through is unacceptable. There will be no rush to judgment, but we will be thorough, we will be precise and then we will act."
It comes despite Washington, DC being in the middle of implementing reforms about emergency responses after the 2006 death of retired New York Times reporter and editor David E. Rosenbaum, who died after emergency personnel mistook the effects of injuries from a vicious mugging for public intoxication and labelled the incident low-priority.
On New Year’s Day 2013, a 71-year-old man died of a heart attack after waiting more than 30 minutes for an ambulance on a day when one-third of the firefighters on duty had called in sick.
Edward Smith, president of the DC firefighters union, called Ms Mills to apologise.
- Man who contracted the BUBONIC PLAGUE from his cat speaks about the ordeal that left him at death's door
- New reality show Little Women LA hit by legal trouble before premiere
- Jimi Hendrix' former girlfriend slams upcoming biopic of the rock and roll star that includes scenes of brutal domestic violence as 'completely made up'
- Expert describes effect of missile hit on MH17
- Police release pictures of clothes girl, 15, was wearing when she went missing before mysteriously reappearing nine months later
- 'My son saved his attacker's life': Father who pounded admitted child molester into a 'bloody puddle' claims son stopped him from stabbing admitted pedophile to death
- Incredible rise from poverty of New York Ballet Theatre's second-ever black soloist
- 'Hell is Love': Inside the toxic world of CEO' daughter turned call girl 'killer,' Alix Tichelman
- Scientists discover the new black: British researchers devise material so dark it looks like a black hole
- Denver Union Station grand opening delayed until July 26
- 'I know my time is limited': Newly crowned NFL cheerleader, 40, reveals incurable kidney disease has already claimed the lives of family members
- EXCLUSIVE: Couple who found $10m hoard of gold coins while walking dog could have broken law by not telling the police
- Miss Teen Arizona wins 2 months after losing parents in a plane crash
- Missing 6-year-old boy reported misisng in Parker found
- Mother, 21, charged with strangling and dismembering newborn son with scissors after delivering him in the shower
- One Direction's luxury homes are a world away from the modest houses they grew up in
- Kate Middleton pictured wearing bracelet available through her parents' website
- Pueblo West Metro Board: No more pot
- Jonie the pit bull carries her injured Chihuahua 'soul mate' Chachi to safety and now they're in need of a loving owner
- Welcome to Southern Comfort: Striking portraits shed light on one of Atlanta's last remaining honky-tonk joints and its quirky regulars
- Two young couples ripped apart after dirt bike crashes into a motorcycle killing three of them
- Five people charged in Quality Inn shooting death
- Family says fraternity hazing ritual to blame for death of student, 19, who was found without shoes or cell phone in forest
- Would you tie the knot with a total stranger? Meet the couples getting MARRIED at first sight
- The Queen must not have shellfish and how Obama hates beetroot: Members of elite club of chefs who cook for world's leaders reveal some of their secrets
- Caught on GoPro: The smiles and laughter of African orphans whose lives have been enriched by Northwestern graduate who skipped his flight home to help them
- Husband who stabbed wife and kids to death before fleeing to Mexico didn't plan to kill the toddlers but brutally stabbed them 'because he had no car seats to take them with him'
- Tearful Leno says goodbye after 22 years as Obama and host of stars pay tribute on his final show
- Mexican cartel hitman who claims to have killed 46 in his career gets 50 years for murdering man who disrespected his daughter
- Beauty queen Kristy Althaus 'loses title of first runner-up Miss Colorado Teen USA over allegedly making a porno'
- 'It was a bigger deal for her than me': Neurofibromatosis sufferer beats prejudice to film nude with Scarlett Johansson
- Andre Johnson, rapper who cut off his own penis will not have it reattached
- 90-pound pedophile busted after driving 18 hours to Florida to marry a teen girl that turned out to be an undercover cop
- By a nose: Nasal strip may foil California Chrome's chance at historic Triple Crown victory
- Film starring Chanel Iman slammed for 'glorifying' thigh gaps
- Woman with epilepsy separates from husband of 33 years to keep health insurance lost to Obamacare-Medicaid coverage gap
- Anastasia Volochkova's husband in hospital after sex left him injured
- Excuses, excuses: Husband charts wife’s reasons for refusing sex, sends it to her
- California residents fury over 530 Fatties Facebook page that shames overweight locals
- Soldier's mother in rock attack may NEVER see again after doctors remove parts of brain
- Proof that men HATE shopping! Hilarious pictures from across the world show men bored out of their minds waiting for their partners
- New York's Chelsea Hotel: It's where Arthur Miller hid from Marilyn Monroe and Sid killed Nancy: Lifting the lid on the Chelsea Hotel
- Philip Seymour Hoffman's heroin overdose exposes 100 per cent RISE in 'epidemic' across US
- 'Elizabeth Hurley had year-long affair with Bill Clinton' after being introduced by her Hollywood actor ex
- Multiple sclerosis linked to contraceptive pill: Risk could be up to 50% higher in women who have taken it
- Transgender woman, Chloie Jonsson, sues CrossFit over women's competition
- Meet the seven women of Bravo's 'Ladies of London' whose drinking, cat fighting, royal name dropping and even labor scenes are coming to TV
- Widow tells of heartbreaking court battle she had to go through to prove medical examiner was wrong and her husband didn't commit suicide
- Now cat's a wheely good idea! The feline-sized hamster wheel designed to exercise your furry friend and help banish its kitty blues
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Cornell Robinson, Devery Kelley accused of robbing pregnant woman in labor in Maryland
- Father needed hospital treatment for three inch gash in his head after being attacked by his neighbour's cat because it hated his Hugo Boss AFTERSHAVE
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Business student 'posed on online dating sites as a high-flying engineer and architect to dupe love-struck women from around the world out of £186,000'
- Children undergo traditional 'lucky haircuts' in China (but don't seem happy about it!)
- And the Oscar goes to Samsung, Twitter AND Apple: How Ellen's backstage iPhone antics took the gloss off the now famous A-list selfie retweet taken on rival Galaxy smartphone
- Pictured: The men who stole the car of woman in labor at gunpoint
- Unseasonably warm weather set to make 1,000-mile Iditarod race even MORE grueling as mushers set off