Washington, DC Firefighters refuse to help dying man
|Washington DC firefighters refused to help Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, pictured, three times despite the fact he had collapsed right across the street from their firehouse and told concerned witnesses to call 911. Source: Supplied|
THREE times people people went to a DC firehouse seeking help for a man who had collapsed across the street but they were told to call 911.
The Washington Post reports that Marie Mills held her 77-year-old father, Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, in her arms in a Washington, DC, car park after he suffered a massive heart attack.
The pair was at a shopping centre to drop off a broken computer at a repair shop. They were walking out when Mr Mills stopped talking and tumbled to the pavement.
A number of witnesses noticed a firehouse across the street and raced to get help only to be told by firefighters that they couldn't respond unless someone called 911.
"Can you just come and help my dad?" Ms Mills screamed. "What are you going to do, let my dad die in the street?"
"Several people told me the guy behind the door wouldn’t open the door,” Ms Mills said. "He told them, ‘There’s nothing I can do if my lieutenant doesn’t tell me to go.'"
She said the same firefighter was seen later in the open bay door, leaning against a truck, with his arms folded.
Heartbroken ... Marie Mills tried to get help for her father who had collapsed following a massive heart attack but despite a firehouse being right across the street, firefighters told her to call 911.
It took about 20 minutes for help to arrive and only then because a police officer flagged down a passing ambulance.
However it was too late - Mr Mills died later that afternoon.
"There are no words to describe how this city has failed," Ms Mills said.
His death is being investigated and 15 firefighters on duty that day have been called in to headquarters to explain their lack of action.
Neither side disputes the claim of how events transpired.
"I’m quite disturbed and disappointed by what appears to be an inappropriate response," said Paul A. Quander Jr., the deputy mayor for public safety.
The firehouse in Washington DC that refused to help a man that was dying across the road.
"Mr Mills was someone that worked for the District for a number of years, and the pain and the anguish that the family has gone through is unacceptable. There will be no rush to judgment, but we will be thorough, we will be precise and then we will act."
It comes despite Washington, DC being in the middle of implementing reforms about emergency responses after the 2006 death of retired New York Times reporter and editor David E. Rosenbaum, who died after emergency personnel mistook the effects of injuries from a vicious mugging for public intoxication and labelled the incident low-priority.
On New Year’s Day 2013, a 71-year-old man died of a heart attack after waiting more than 30 minutes for an ambulance on a day when one-third of the firefighters on duty had called in sick.
Edward Smith, president of the DC firefighters union, called Ms Mills to apologise.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Kim Kardashian has suffered fresh embarrassment at the hands of a magazine after she was denied access to Vanity Fair’s Oscars party on Sunday. The 33-year-old ...
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- High school seniors facing disciplinary action after posing for photos wearing t-shirts saying 'RAPE?' then uploading them to Twitter
- Last pictures of Brit backpackers David Miller and Hannah Witheridge
- Tragedy as body of sheriff's deputy is found a day after she was swept away by floodwaters in West Texas
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Person of interest' in hunt for missing Hannah Graham is a nursing assistant who admits he bought her drinks but claims he did NOT drive off with her in his car
- Holding a rifle in high school: Chilling childhood photo of survivalist sniper who gunned down state trooper emerges as FBI put him on Most Wanted Fugitives list with a $100,000 reward
- American man admits killing his girlfriend's mother in Bali and stuffing her in a suitcase
- Shock jock Don Imus says Dr. Gwen Korovin refused to talk about Joan Rivers' death to him during a recent office visit
- Could the menopause be eliminated in 20 years? Scientist predicts ageing process could be halted or reversed through stem cell therapies
- Darius Wlodarski queues for 44 hours to buy iPhone 6 to win back wife
- Teenage domestic assault victim shows her horrific scars after ex attack
- Bruce Springsteen and wife Patricia Scialfa watches daughter Jessica compete in Central Park equestrian competition
- Jameis Winston is now benched for a full game for yelling lewd comment in the middle of campus
- Texas Game of Thrones fan staves off an intruder with a MEDIEVAL SWORD instead of a gun because he is a christian who doesn't believe in killing
- 'I love you Papa': Nicole Kidman delivers emotional tribute to her father Dr Anthony Kidman and sings Amazing Grace with husband Keith Urban at private Sydney funeral to celebrate his life
- Jubilant Apple fans emerge from stores brandishing coveted iPhone 6 handsets - but will they be recycled on black market for thousands of dollars?
- Turkey's Prime Minister says 49 hostages seized by Islamic State militants have been freed
- BREAKING NEWS: Authorities outside Pennsylvania home where survivalist gunman may be hiding one week after killing a state trooper and injuring another
- A supportive spouse is the best boost for your career: Study finds ambitious partners may be helped by a conscientious better half
- Miami Dolphins defensive end Dion Jordan will miss six games as he is given ANOTHER suspension for violating league's drug policy
- The most loved and hated airlines according to Twitter
- Central Park cyclist who left CBS exec's wife 'brain-dead' NOT charged
- Police announce 'big break' in hunt for missing teen Hannah Graham as they search car and apartment complex
- Minnesota authorities take action to stop Viking's Adrian Peterson seeing his son
- Man kills his five grandchildren, his daughter and young girl before turning gun on himself in small northern Florida town, reports suggest
- Can Scotland heal bitter divisions exposed by independence campaign?
- Antidepressants can affect the brain in just three HOURS - not weeks, as previously thought
- From KFC reject to world's 70th richest man: Alibaba founder who was inspired by Forrest Gump now worth $14bn after flotation and has made all his employees rich
- 'My eighth grader was given detention for sharing his lunch with a school friend:' claims his angry mom
- Man hauled off airliner by armed police after passenger noticed him scribbling the word 'terrorism' in his journal
- Crushed to death by an elevator: The shocking moment a broken lift comes down on a student who got trapped between the floor and the door
- 'I am going to die today': Man, 33, who allegedly attempted to die in a 'suicide by cop' may have been saved by the Whisper app after posting real-time photos of SWAT teams and expressing suicidal desires
- Where did the green 'alien eggs' come from? Scientists baffled by UFOs (Unidentified Floating Objects) that washed up on a Sydney beach
- It's finally here! American man snaps up first iPhone 6 by reserving device online and choosing to pick it up in SYDNEY, beating out customers in general store queue... as hundreds of others wait to get theirs today
- Baltimore Ravens 'knew about Ray Rice video within hours of NFL player's brutal attack'
- Terms of Service
- Indian newsreader sacked for calling Chinese president Xi Jinping 'eleven Jinping' after confusing his name for roman numerals
- BREAKING NEWS: Parts of the White House evacuated after intruder jumped the fence and reached the portico
It's finally here! American man snaps up first iPhone 6 by reserving device online and choosing to pick it up in SYDNEY, beating out customers in general store queue... as hundreds of others wait to get theirs today (0)