Washington, DC Firefighters refuse to help dying man
|Washington DC firefighters refused to help Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, pictured, three times despite the fact he had collapsed right across the street from their firehouse and told concerned witnesses to call 911. Source: Supplied|
THREE times people people went to a DC firehouse seeking help for a man who had collapsed across the street but they were told to call 911.
The Washington Post reports that Marie Mills held her 77-year-old father, Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, in her arms in a Washington, DC, car park after he suffered a massive heart attack.
The pair was at a shopping centre to drop off a broken computer at a repair shop. They were walking out when Mr Mills stopped talking and tumbled to the pavement.
A number of witnesses noticed a firehouse across the street and raced to get help only to be told by firefighters that they couldn't respond unless someone called 911.
"Can you just come and help my dad?" Ms Mills screamed. "What are you going to do, let my dad die in the street?"
"Several people told me the guy behind the door wouldn’t open the door,” Ms Mills said. "He told them, ‘There’s nothing I can do if my lieutenant doesn’t tell me to go.'"
She said the same firefighter was seen later in the open bay door, leaning against a truck, with his arms folded.
Heartbroken ... Marie Mills tried to get help for her father who had collapsed following a massive heart attack but despite a firehouse being right across the street, firefighters told her to call 911.
It took about 20 minutes for help to arrive and only then because a police officer flagged down a passing ambulance.
However it was too late - Mr Mills died later that afternoon.
"There are no words to describe how this city has failed," Ms Mills said.
His death is being investigated and 15 firefighters on duty that day have been called in to headquarters to explain their lack of action.
Neither side disputes the claim of how events transpired.
"I’m quite disturbed and disappointed by what appears to be an inappropriate response," said Paul A. Quander Jr., the deputy mayor for public safety.
The firehouse in Washington DC that refused to help a man that was dying across the road.
"Mr Mills was someone that worked for the District for a number of years, and the pain and the anguish that the family has gone through is unacceptable. There will be no rush to judgment, but we will be thorough, we will be precise and then we will act."
It comes despite Washington, DC being in the middle of implementing reforms about emergency responses after the 2006 death of retired New York Times reporter and editor David E. Rosenbaum, who died after emergency personnel mistook the effects of injuries from a vicious mugging for public intoxication and labelled the incident low-priority.
On New Year’s Day 2013, a 71-year-old man died of a heart attack after waiting more than 30 minutes for an ambulance on a day when one-third of the firefighters on duty had called in sick.
Edward Smith, president of the DC firefighters union, called Ms Mills to apologise.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Woman on death row for killing 'man who tried to rape her' will be hanged at dawn: Mother called to Iranian prison to see her daughter for last time
Reyhaneh Jabbari, 26, was sentenced to death in 2009 by an Iranian courtShe was found guilty of murdering a government intelligence operative Her mother Shole Pakravan ...
- The New Born Fame mobile lets babies post selfies and videos online from the crib
- Google's Alan Eustace secretly breaks highest parachute jump record
- Honey Boo Boo shock claim that Mama June's now adult daughter was victim of child molester
- 'But I paid so much money!': Woman drugged after wisdom teeth surgery is devastated that she hasn't woken up looking like Nicki Minaj... and isn't friends with Ellen DeGeneres
- Man, 85, is 'tied up for 20 HOURS and robbed' after wining and dining 17-year-old twin sisters he met on a sugar daddy dating site
- Bikini-top of the charts!: Video of a singer struggling to keep a puppy from pulling off her bathing suit has over TWO MILLION views...but her music video only has a few thousand
- HIV postitive sex offender 'raped a teen, 14, and two-year-old infecting them both'
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Revenge porn victim, Folami Prehaya, breaks anonymity in bid to help others
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Kevin Charles Brown committed suicide after interviewed over Claire Hough murder
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Remains in Oklahoma lake belong to six people who vanished in cold cases
- Numb to horror: Women walk past headless corpses in the street without raising an eyebrow in shocking video depicting life under ISIS rule
- Mama June seen for the first time since daughter Anna Cardwell confirmed she was victim of mother's sex offender boyfriend
- 'You are so loved': Lawyer who was with Corporal Nathan Cirillo in his final moments describes the support and aide he received from complete strangers desperate to save his life
- One man and his Harley: Brad Bakelar of Reno rides his motorcycle with his companion, Moki, a five-year-old Goldendoodle
- Hazmat crews sterilize New York Ebola doctor's apartment as it's revealed he ate at MEATBALL SHOP on his criss-crossing route across the city
- Thief who stole a $4 packet of cigarettes is smoked out after police in Florida use patrol units, dogs and even their helicopter to catch the teenager tearaway
- The D'oh! Nut: Burger joint pays homage to Homer Simpson
- Judge tosses second lawsuit filed by an Alabama man claiming his penis was amputated during a botched circumcision
- Hazmat team empties Ebola doctor's apartment WITHOUT gloves, face masks or any protective gear
- The Halloween light show that is perfectly synced to Bohemian Rhapsody
- Brother and sister of Jennifer Laude allegedly murdered by US soldier storm Philippine military base
- British tourist Stuart Gravenell savaged by ape during visit to Gibraltar
- New York Ebola doctor's fiancee and TWO friends quarantined amid fears he gave them deadly virus: Potential victims in isolation - and there could be more after medic spent SEVEN days riding the subway, bowling and traveling in Uber taxis
- Celebrated business journalist Terry Keenan dies at 54 of brain hemorrhage
- PICTURED: Two girls, 14, who are fighting for their lives after their 'friend' shot them in high school cafeteria shooting that let another dead and two others hurt
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- He's superman!: Town celebrates Halloween, Christmas, and a birthday early for a four-year-old boy with terminal cancer and just days left to live
- Grieving Russian mother who was told son had died shortly after being born is reunited with him alive and well five years later
- Man captures Utah canyon footage before CRASHING Go Pro camera (and helicopter)
- Al Capone's Chicago home on the market for $225,000
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Pakistan to bring in anti-cannibalism law after brothers dug up corpses for curry
- Campaign shows what you would look like after 20 years of smoking
- Texas teacher arrested after 'bringing brass knuckles and meth pipe into school'
- Five-year-old son testifies against his father, Michael Lawrence, who is found guilty of murder in the death of girlfriend Angelica Olivarez who was on the run following the fatal drive-by shooting of a six-year-old girl
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Decorated soldier who fought in 'Black Hawk Down' battle in Somalia dies at 52
- He's lionised by the BBC and The Guardian as a political seer. The truth, says STEPHEN GLOVER, is that Russell Brand is a ludicrous charlatan
- Fiancée of New York Ebola doctor Craig Spencer speaks out as she and two friends to be released from hospital and quarantined at home instead
- Was it a terror attack? Police probe extremist links as online rants of New York hatchet attacker emerge after he was shot dead in attack on group of cops in Queens
- Highest Ice Age human camp discovered in Peruvian Andes
- Open for business! New York eateries visited by Ebola doctor insist there is NO risk but bowling alley where he fell ill remains closed for cleaning
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
'I want to be in jail so I can overcome my crack addiction': Why 2011 psych assessment of Canadian gunman throws into doubt terror theory as it is revealed there is 'no evidence' of jihadist links (0)