Washington, DC Firefighters refuse to help dying man
|Washington DC firefighters refused to help Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, pictured, three times despite the fact he had collapsed right across the street from their firehouse and told concerned witnesses to call 911. Source: Supplied|
THREE times people people went to a DC firehouse seeking help for a man who had collapsed across the street but they were told to call 911.
The Washington Post reports that Marie Mills held her 77-year-old father, Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, in her arms in a Washington, DC, car park after he suffered a massive heart attack.
The pair was at a shopping centre to drop off a broken computer at a repair shop. They were walking out when Mr Mills stopped talking and tumbled to the pavement.
A number of witnesses noticed a firehouse across the street and raced to get help only to be told by firefighters that they couldn't respond unless someone called 911.
"Can you just come and help my dad?" Ms Mills screamed. "What are you going to do, let my dad die in the street?"
"Several people told me the guy behind the door wouldn’t open the door,” Ms Mills said. "He told them, ‘There’s nothing I can do if my lieutenant doesn’t tell me to go.'"
She said the same firefighter was seen later in the open bay door, leaning against a truck, with his arms folded.
Heartbroken ... Marie Mills tried to get help for her father who had collapsed following a massive heart attack but despite a firehouse being right across the street, firefighters told her to call 911.
It took about 20 minutes for help to arrive and only then because a police officer flagged down a passing ambulance.
However it was too late - Mr Mills died later that afternoon.
"There are no words to describe how this city has failed," Ms Mills said.
His death is being investigated and 15 firefighters on duty that day have been called in to headquarters to explain their lack of action.
Neither side disputes the claim of how events transpired.
"I’m quite disturbed and disappointed by what appears to be an inappropriate response," said Paul A. Quander Jr., the deputy mayor for public safety.
The firehouse in Washington DC that refused to help a man that was dying across the road.
"Mr Mills was someone that worked for the District for a number of years, and the pain and the anguish that the family has gone through is unacceptable. There will be no rush to judgment, but we will be thorough, we will be precise and then we will act."
It comes despite Washington, DC being in the middle of implementing reforms about emergency responses after the 2006 death of retired New York Times reporter and editor David E. Rosenbaum, who died after emergency personnel mistook the effects of injuries from a vicious mugging for public intoxication and labelled the incident low-priority.
On New Year’s Day 2013, a 71-year-old man died of a heart attack after waiting more than 30 minutes for an ambulance on a day when one-third of the firefighters on duty had called in sick.
Edward Smith, president of the DC firefighters union, called Ms Mills to apologise.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
Michael Counce, 52, drove furiously down the road with his life partner Bobby Kelley, 33, hanging on to the hood of his MercedesThe two had ...
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Keith Coleman with history of domestic violence 'killed his girlfriend and her two children'
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Tara Palmer-Tomkinson 'arrested by armed police at Heathrow after throwing tantrum because she was refused access to first-class lounge'
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- 'Get on the floor!': Passer-by captures the chaos in the Brooklyn subway station after police enter in pursuit of cop killer
- Newly discovered 'Bourbon Virus' is believed to be behind mysterious death of Kansas man
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Veteran TV actor Booth Colman, famous for Planet Of The Apes and Star Trek, dies aged 91
- James Woods calls Al Sharpton a 'race pimp' and says the 'disgusting pig' is responsible for NYPD cop murders
- Wealthy New York socialites who were cleared of abusing their nanny are stuck on luxurious Italy vacation after border officials refuse to let them back on US soil
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Tent city sprouts up in shadow of downtown Detroit as area bounces back with restaurants and shops doing brisk business
- Handcuffed and locked up: Muslim convert wife of Sydney siege gunman back behind bars after court hears she is 'capable of doing criminal acts' on behalf of her dead fanatic husband while awaiting trial for the murder of his FIRST wife
- How NYC cop killer Ismaaiyl Brinsley threatened Con Ed workers
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Parents' anger after Bosnian schoolgirls aged 13 and 14 fall pregnant on class trip
- Terms of Service
- Family of four in Illinois found shot dead in their home
- Six-year-old Colorado girl Eden Nunn abducted by mother
- Bill de Blasio visits home of slain Officer Rafael Ramos as the NYC mayor remains under heavy criticism from pro-NYPD camp
- Welcome to the Snaketivity: Satanists and Christians do battle with competing nativity scenes on the statehouse lawn in Michigan
- 'We don't believe in vengeance, we just forgive': Family of slain NYPD cop FORGIVES cold-blooded assassin saying 'he is in the hands of God now'
- Sony WILL release The Interview: Execs now change their mind after initially bowing to hackers' demands and pulling Kim Jong-Un assassination film
- 'Hero' California teen stops wannabe kidnapper from taking four-year-old sister
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- 'If you are a thug and worthless to society, it's not about race': North Carolina fire investigator fired for posting 'discriminatory' comments on Facebook about Michael Brown's death in Ferguson
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Body camera captures moment Texas police officer saves boy from choking on candy
- Chris Christie calls on Obama to extradite Tupac Shakur's aunt from Cuba 40 years after she executed a cop, escaped jail and won asylum from Fidel Castro
- Prince George visits winter wonderland attaction with Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
- Facebook accused of bowing to Putin: Site shuts down page supporting president's rival 'because of pressure from the Kremlin'
- Singer Joe Cocker dies at the age of 70 after battle with lung cancer
- Pope Francis blasts his top priests and denounces many serving the Vatican
- Argentine zoo may be forced to release Sandra the orangutan
- (OFFICIAL) -U.S. firm finds malware targeting visitors to Afghan govt websites
- Haunting new photos of Michigan's abandoned Silverdome reveal how one of the country's most famous stadiums is now just an empty shell left to rot
- Singer who claimed he was forced to quit job over 'hostile' female colleague loses case
- Brodie Smith's girlfriend who died from drug addiction cure reveals he was going to propose
- Thrilling moment BASE jumper ties 90 balloons to a lawn chair and is airlifted 8,000 feet into the air before skydiving back down
- As footage emerges of sheep being violently mistreated is there hidden cruelty behind your winter woolly
- Camille Cosby stands by her man to the chagrin and confusion of old family friends
- Not bad for a starter home! Matt Damon sells seven-bedroom Mediterranean-style mansion where he started his family for $15.4million
- Revealed: Americans drink more in the winter over Valentine's Day, Superbowl Sunday and St Patrick's Day weekend than any other time of year
Handcuffed and locked up: Muslim convert wife of Sydney siege gunman back behind bars after court hears she is 'capable of doing criminal acts' on behalf of her dead fanatic husband while awaiting trial for the murder of his FIRST wife (0)