Washington, DC Firefighters refuse to help dying man
|Washington DC firefighters refused to help Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, pictured, three times despite the fact he had collapsed right across the street from their firehouse and told concerned witnesses to call 911. Source: Supplied|
THREE times people people went to a DC firehouse seeking help for a man who had collapsed across the street but they were told to call 911.
The Washington Post reports that Marie Mills held her 77-year-old father, Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, in her arms in a Washington, DC, car park after he suffered a massive heart attack.
The pair was at a shopping centre to drop off a broken computer at a repair shop. They were walking out when Mr Mills stopped talking and tumbled to the pavement.
A number of witnesses noticed a firehouse across the street and raced to get help only to be told by firefighters that they couldn't respond unless someone called 911.
"Can you just come and help my dad?" Ms Mills screamed. "What are you going to do, let my dad die in the street?"
"Several people told me the guy behind the door wouldn’t open the door,” Ms Mills said. "He told them, ‘There’s nothing I can do if my lieutenant doesn’t tell me to go.'"
She said the same firefighter was seen later in the open bay door, leaning against a truck, with his arms folded.
Heartbroken ... Marie Mills tried to get help for her father who had collapsed following a massive heart attack but despite a firehouse being right across the street, firefighters told her to call 911.
It took about 20 minutes for help to arrive and only then because a police officer flagged down a passing ambulance.
However it was too late - Mr Mills died later that afternoon.
"There are no words to describe how this city has failed," Ms Mills said.
His death is being investigated and 15 firefighters on duty that day have been called in to headquarters to explain their lack of action.
Neither side disputes the claim of how events transpired.
"I’m quite disturbed and disappointed by what appears to be an inappropriate response," said Paul A. Quander Jr., the deputy mayor for public safety.
The firehouse in Washington DC that refused to help a man that was dying across the road.
"Mr Mills was someone that worked for the District for a number of years, and the pain and the anguish that the family has gone through is unacceptable. There will be no rush to judgment, but we will be thorough, we will be precise and then we will act."
It comes despite Washington, DC being in the middle of implementing reforms about emergency responses after the 2006 death of retired New York Times reporter and editor David E. Rosenbaum, who died after emergency personnel mistook the effects of injuries from a vicious mugging for public intoxication and labelled the incident low-priority.
On New Year’s Day 2013, a 71-year-old man died of a heart attack after waiting more than 30 minutes for an ambulance on a day when one-third of the firefighters on duty had called in sick.
Edward Smith, president of the DC firefighters union, called Ms Mills to apologise.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
'The brother that executed James Foley should be the new Batman': Cardiff ISIS fighters post sickening messages mocking beheading of U.S. journalist
Reyaad Khan and Nasser Muthana continue to post vile online commentsThe pair appeared in a chilling recruitment video for Islamic State in JuneLast week, 20-year-old ...
- Jacuzzis, butlers and baby grand pianos... welcome aboard the cruise ships with the most lavish suites (and heftiest price tags)
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Father of four gunned down by police who claim he was armed and suicidal - which his family deny
- Kelly Brook reveals she HIT ex-boyfriends Danny Cipriani and Jason Statham
- Former journalist tells of her double life as a mother and an escort
- At least two dead and many more missing as massive explosion destroys four-story building in Paris suburb
- Jennifer Lawrence victim of hacker who leaks slew of graphic nude photos of Oscar winning actress and 'dozens of A-listers'
- Louisiana TV host shot dead by son-in-law who was also believed to be his lover in alleged murder-suicide attempt
- Spotted in Primark at 15, the single mum who is the new Naomi Campbell (and is making millions after leaving her drug dealer lover)
- Mexico'sLeandra Becerra Lumbreras becomes oldest person who ever lived at 127
- Joan Rivers family face agonizing decision over whether or not to turn off life support machine as legendary comic fights for her life
- The puppy who got a second chance: Heart-warming story of near ferial abandoned dog who became a lovable pet after being rescued and given a little TLC
- 'I was desperate to have a baby'. Aussie mum gives birth 3 years after husbands death
- Pregnant woman shot dead 'in cold blood' at her home in attack that also killed unborn child
- The Great War Soldiers saved by a pocket Bible, a whistle and a camera: Incredible stories of how three heroes cheated death revealed for the first time
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Making his final journey around the world: Family fulfill fisherman father's dying wish to let his memory find its way across the globe as a special message in a bottle
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Is there ANYTHING that Botox can't treat?
- Three fundraisers and a wedding: President Obama and first family attend White House chef's nuptials on a busy Labor Day weekend
- Heart-stopping moment a Russian IndyCar rookie smashed into another car and fence in horror crush that left him with broken bones
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- How middle-aged mother Sally Jones from Chatham may have 'reinvented herself as a jihadi'
- Mississippi girl suffered facial injuries blaming classmates 'who kicked her in face'
- Terms of Service
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Britain to spearhead 10,000-strong Nato rapid reaction force with mission to halt Putin's 'Tsarist expansionism'
- Man who killed son now charged in 1st wife's death
- Joan Rivers' daughter Melissa is an 'emotional wreck' as her mother, 81, remains in serious condition after being placed in a medically-induced coma
- Why brash can be best: Overconfident people 'can fool others into thinking they are smarter than they really are'
- A padlocked fridge and even dog food has to be hidden: The heartbreaking condition that's left 14-year-old Hannah unable to stop eating and the desperate lengths her mother has to go to control her appetite
- Sri Lanka to rebuild Bridge On The River Kwai
- I was raped at Oxford University - and police pressured me into dropping charges, says student
- Nucla under the gun: The Colorado town with fewer than 800 people, no stoplights in sight and a law requiring a firearm in every home
- 'We're going home': YouTube video shows the moment a leukemia patient, 7, is elated to find out he can get out of the hospital
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Jennifer Lawrence 'victim of hacker' who leaks slew of graphic nude photos of Oscar winning actress
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Southwest Airlines passenger suffers heart attack and dies after 'flight attendant refuses to use a defibrillator because of his chest hair'
- 'Someone was watching out for me': Heartbroken widower reunited with priceless photos from his newlywed wife's funeral after home invasion
- 'We'll jam the whole of Pakistan': Thousands of protesters led by ex-cricketer Imran Khan clash with riot police in march to PM's house over claims he won fraudulent vote
- ISIS beheads terror chief who once guarded U.S. journalist James Foley's prison after accusing him of spying for M6
- Look, no hands! I'm in Google's driverless car (and it could be finding its way to YOUR street)
- More training needed: Parachutist misses one of Europe's biggest sport stadiums landing on a railway line instead
- Stunning satellite images show summer ice cap is thicker and covers 1.7million square kilometres MORE than 2 years ago...despite Al Gore's prediction it would be ICE-FREE by now
- Ashya King's parents are now in Spain, police believe