Washington, DC Firefighters refuse to help dying man
|Washington DC firefighters refused to help Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, pictured, three times despite the fact he had collapsed right across the street from their firehouse and told concerned witnesses to call 911. Source: Supplied|
THREE times people people went to a DC firehouse seeking help for a man who had collapsed across the street but they were told to call 911.
The Washington Post reports that Marie Mills held her 77-year-old father, Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, in her arms in a Washington, DC, car park after he suffered a massive heart attack.
The pair was at a shopping centre to drop off a broken computer at a repair shop. They were walking out when Mr Mills stopped talking and tumbled to the pavement.
A number of witnesses noticed a firehouse across the street and raced to get help only to be told by firefighters that they couldn't respond unless someone called 911.
"Can you just come and help my dad?" Ms Mills screamed. "What are you going to do, let my dad die in the street?"
"Several people told me the guy behind the door wouldn’t open the door,” Ms Mills said. "He told them, ‘There’s nothing I can do if my lieutenant doesn’t tell me to go.'"
She said the same firefighter was seen later in the open bay door, leaning against a truck, with his arms folded.
Heartbroken ... Marie Mills tried to get help for her father who had collapsed following a massive heart attack but despite a firehouse being right across the street, firefighters told her to call 911.
It took about 20 minutes for help to arrive and only then because a police officer flagged down a passing ambulance.
However it was too late - Mr Mills died later that afternoon.
"There are no words to describe how this city has failed," Ms Mills said.
His death is being investigated and 15 firefighters on duty that day have been called in to headquarters to explain their lack of action.
Neither side disputes the claim of how events transpired.
"I’m quite disturbed and disappointed by what appears to be an inappropriate response," said Paul A. Quander Jr., the deputy mayor for public safety.
The firehouse in Washington DC that refused to help a man that was dying across the road.
"Mr Mills was someone that worked for the District for a number of years, and the pain and the anguish that the family has gone through is unacceptable. There will be no rush to judgment, but we will be thorough, we will be precise and then we will act."
It comes despite Washington, DC being in the middle of implementing reforms about emergency responses after the 2006 death of retired New York Times reporter and editor David E. Rosenbaum, who died after emergency personnel mistook the effects of injuries from a vicious mugging for public intoxication and labelled the incident low-priority.
On New Year’s Day 2013, a 71-year-old man died of a heart attack after waiting more than 30 minutes for an ambulance on a day when one-third of the firefighters on duty had called in sick.
Edward Smith, president of the DC firefighters union, called Ms Mills to apologise.
- Man sentenced for second sexual exploitation of a child charge
- Why are the cellphones of missing Malaysian Airlines passengers still ringing? Family members claim that loved ones smartphones are still active
- The strange life of Richard Parker, the 'mail bomber' accused of killing in-laws
- Who's afraid of the big dead wolf? Children react as animal is DISSECTED, days after country's zoo was criticised for killing a giraffe
- Adorable baby dresses up as all your favorite TV characters
- Father calls 911 for help after enraged cat attacks baby then bails whole family - including DOG - up in bedroom
- Google Glass has new rival with fashionable Icis smart specs
- Mayim Bialik defends public breastfeeding
- Terror fears over missing 777 grow: Identities of ANOTHER two passengers probed as suspicion falls on four who booked with Chinese airline
- 'Whatever you do don't get the McCafe!' Fast food workers reveal the foods you should never order
- Joanna Dennehy: Laughing serial killer jailed for life
- The sickening smile of the teen accused of the 'satanic ritual murder' of a 15-year-old girl who was kidnapped, raped and then bashed to death with the lid of a toilet
- Samsung launches new smart watch, Gear 2, powered by Tizen
- Young blonde says missing Malaysia Airlines pilot invited her and her friend to ride in the cockpit with him for entire flight in 2011
- Twin sisters Lucy and Anna DeCinque pay £130k to make them look more similar
- Missing Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 plane collided with another plane 2 years ago
- Steve Irwin's cameraman Justin Lyons reveals his final words
- Naked ambition: Hundreds of skinny dippers attempt world record for the largest nude ocean swim on Sydney beach
- Black pastors demand Eric Holder's IMPEACHMENT after gay marriage speech
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Police: Woman used stolen credit card to withdraw $8,500
- DNA testing could reveal identity of Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa
- Michael Rockefeller WAS eaten by cannibals who kept his bones as souvenirs, claims Carl Hoffman who says his years of research proves that the Dutch covered up 1961 murder in New Guinea
- Ferrari parked in London square gouged by lorry tailgate
- Trial begins for man, 51, 'who killed his sister and brother-in-law 26 years ago because he was worried she would reveal they had sex as teenagers'
- Ellen Degeneres prompts mixed reviews as Oscars 2014 host
- Homeowner releases video of realtors having sex '10 TIMES' in his property
- Explosion at VA Hospital construction site rocks Aurora neighborhood
- Protesters discover treasures at Viktor Yanukovych's home
- Pshonka's palace a treasure trove of total opulence: Journalists and protestors enter his estate to find extravaganza of luxury
- Cayden Taipalus, 8, pays off all his classmates' overdue lunch bills in 'Pay It Forward' campaign
- Does final call to married 'lover' hold key to missing girl's disappearance? Man, 38, said to be romantically linked to Heather, 20, admits he spoke to her on night she vanished as he and wife are charged for obstructing justice
- Texas boys confess to classmate's murder after police catch them hiding body
- Three-year-old boy makes compelling argument for cupcakes for dinner
- Family of 21-year-old who was strangled and raped while six-months' pregnant campaign to overturn law that let her killer avoid murder charge because he was drunk
- Reunited: Descendants of 12 Years a Slave man Solomon Northup
- Kansas City-area spelling bee finally ends after 95 rounds
- Community leaders demand changes in use of force policy at Denver Jail
- Coroner IDs school bus driver killed in crash on US 285
- Couple accused of killing Nancy Pfister in court for first tine
- Jasmine Joseph missing as parents reveal she hadn't been to college since last May
- Police: Selfie could show Loveland burglary suspect
- Fast food employees accuse Moschino of 'mocking' minimum wage earners
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Nuggets’ Ty Lawson signs with PETA’s anti-fur campaign
- Oscar Pistorius might not have KILLED his girlfriend deliberately
- 'Putin is playing chess, we're playing MARBLES': Weak Obama has been out-foxed by Russian PM over Ukraine, says politicians from both parties as head of Kiev's navy defects to Moscow
- Video of young girl trying to wake her 'drug addict' mother on a bus as passengers look on shocks Philadelphia
- Ace Hotel founder was found dead surrounded by bottle of spirits and a make-shift crack pipe in one of his own hotel rooms
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Cornell Robinson, Devery Kelley accused of robbing pregnant woman in labor in Maryland
- Father needed hospital treatment for three inch gash in his head after being attacked by his neighbour's cat because it hated his Hugo Boss AFTERSHAVE
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Business student 'posed on online dating sites as a high-flying engineer and architect to dupe love-struck women from around the world out of £186,000'
- Children undergo traditional 'lucky haircuts' in China (but don't seem happy about it!)
- And the Oscar goes to Samsung, Twitter AND Apple: How Ellen's backstage iPhone antics took the gloss off the now famous A-list selfie retweet taken on rival Galaxy smartphone
- Pictured: The men who stole the car of woman in labor at gunpoint
- Unseasonably warm weather set to make 1,000-mile Iditarod race even MORE grueling as mushers set off