Washington, DC Firefighters refuse to help dying man
|Washington DC firefighters refused to help Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, pictured, three times despite the fact he had collapsed right across the street from their firehouse and told concerned witnesses to call 911. Source: Supplied|
THREE times people people went to a DC firehouse seeking help for a man who had collapsed across the street but they were told to call 911.
The Washington Post reports that Marie Mills held her 77-year-old father, Medric "Cecil" Mills Jr, in her arms in a Washington, DC, car park after he suffered a massive heart attack.
The pair was at a shopping centre to drop off a broken computer at a repair shop. They were walking out when Mr Mills stopped talking and tumbled to the pavement.
A number of witnesses noticed a firehouse across the street and raced to get help only to be told by firefighters that they couldn't respond unless someone called 911.
"Can you just come and help my dad?" Ms Mills screamed. "What are you going to do, let my dad die in the street?"
"Several people told me the guy behind the door wouldn’t open the door,” Ms Mills said. "He told them, ‘There’s nothing I can do if my lieutenant doesn’t tell me to go.'"
She said the same firefighter was seen later in the open bay door, leaning against a truck, with his arms folded.
Heartbroken ... Marie Mills tried to get help for her father who had collapsed following a massive heart attack but despite a firehouse being right across the street, firefighters told her to call 911.
It took about 20 minutes for help to arrive and only then because a police officer flagged down a passing ambulance.
However it was too late - Mr Mills died later that afternoon.
"There are no words to describe how this city has failed," Ms Mills said.
His death is being investigated and 15 firefighters on duty that day have been called in to headquarters to explain their lack of action.
Neither side disputes the claim of how events transpired.
"I’m quite disturbed and disappointed by what appears to be an inappropriate response," said Paul A. Quander Jr., the deputy mayor for public safety.
The firehouse in Washington DC that refused to help a man that was dying across the road.
"Mr Mills was someone that worked for the District for a number of years, and the pain and the anguish that the family has gone through is unacceptable. There will be no rush to judgment, but we will be thorough, we will be precise and then we will act."
It comes despite Washington, DC being in the middle of implementing reforms about emergency responses after the 2006 death of retired New York Times reporter and editor David E. Rosenbaum, who died after emergency personnel mistook the effects of injuries from a vicious mugging for public intoxication and labelled the incident low-priority.
On New Year’s Day 2013, a 71-year-old man died of a heart attack after waiting more than 30 minutes for an ambulance on a day when one-third of the firefighters on duty had called in sick.
Edward Smith, president of the DC firefighters union, called Ms Mills to apologise.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
U.S. Justice Department are reportedly not likely to file civil rights charges Issue is whether Darren Wilson had reason to believe he was in dangerHe shot ...
- Suspect Robert Falcon charged with murdering celebrity tattoo artist Trigz
- Conservative school board votes to remove information about contraception from a biology book because it flouts state law
- Men whose parents didn't go to university earn 20% less than sons of graduates even when they hold the same qualifications
- Michael Jordan calls President Obama a 's***ty golfer'
- Claudia Schiffer rocks sexy leopard-print catsuit at Jonathan Ross' annual Halloween party
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Heidi Klum spreads her wings and takes flight in a colourfully buggy costume for her annual Halloween bash
- JDI Dating Ltd fined for using fake computer-generated profiles to trick users
- Derek Ward who beheaded his mother and kicked it along New York street pictured
- LeBron James makes Cleveland Cavaliers return in New York Knicks defeat
- Three teenage girls killed in hit-and-run while trick-or-treating in California
- Neymar sends private jet to collect model Soraja Vucelic
- How a Facebook post led police to an arrest in a three-year-old murder
- CDC pulls poster explaining how Ebola can be spread by contaminated droplets
- Woman, 31, 'breaks into the home of her husband's friend in a night gown, strips off and sexually assaults him while he sleeps'
- How pilots watched their friend die: Virgin Galactic astronauts in mid-air launch plane return to relieved families after separating minutes before doomed spacecraft exploded
- Virgin Galactic spaceship has in-flight problem
- Russian customs staff in hot water after opening luggage belonging to 80s pop band Roxette and posing for photos with their instruments
- Democrats face race-baiting storm over advertisements in South that say: Vote 'to prevent another Ferguson'
- Fingerprints are not covered by the Fifth Amendment: Court ruling could mean police could have greater access to a defendant's iPhone or iPad using their touch ID - but it's protected if they have a passcode
- Birmingham, Alabama man, 18, arrested for robbing FOUR Subways because diet didn't work
- As Facebook reinstates banned breastfeeding photograph FEMAIL asks: Is there one rule for celebrity mothers and another for normal women?
- Zombie schoolgirls, killer clowns and ... EBOLA: Hazmat suits and disease quarantine centers take center stage at annual NYC Halloween Parade
- How Virgin Galactic space program has been plagued by fuel problems that killed three engineers in 2007 ahead of fatal explosion at 45,000ft
- Australian ghost hunter's video 'evidence' that supernatural spirits are among us
- 'The operation is safe': says doctor behind Tiny Harris' eye implant
- Phoenix Suns players left terrified as DINOSAUR jumps out on them when they arrive for training
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Poor drainage systems are reducing crop yields and could lead to food shortages in 2050, study claims
- France's niqab ban is PRAISED by Afghanistan's new First Lady Rula Ghani
- Cowboys fan goes berserk at his team's loss to Washington during overtime and smashes up his house ... including the fish tank
- Former Florida A&M band member Dante Martin found GUILTY of manslaughter in drum major's hazing death
- Americans will spend $1.4billion on Halloween costumes this year as part of a $7.4billion industry - and $350million of that is spent on dressing their pets
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Did this woman order the massacre of 43 students in Mexico? Mayor's wife dubbed First Lady of Murder 'ordered police to stop protesters ruining her party'
- How many calories are in YOUR favourite drink?
- Sobbing sister of the lover Jodi Arias murdered tells the court she is ahunted by image of her brother's decomposing body slumped in his bathroom
- Google to pay Canadian woman for showing her cleavage on Street View
- Amazing aerial photos show river of lava on the verge of splitting Hawaiian town in two
- New aeroplane seat will allow passengers to fully recline at 30,000ft
- 5 California University of Pennsylvania college football players charged in assault
- Terms of Service
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- The mindreading machine that can listen to the 'voices in your head'
- 310-pound, 6ft student dressed as yellow Teletubby breaks into a friend's college apartment and steals Chinese food