Wyoming police release photograph of headless corpse's BELT
- Body was found by duck hunters along a rural Wyoming road on January 9
- Wyoming detectives are still unable to identify him despite public appeals
- They have now released an image of his unusual belt and buckle in the hope co-workers, friends or relatives may recognise it
- Its design suggests a form of leather craftsmanship known as 'piteado' - which is common in Mexico and Guatemala
- Victim was also wearing jeans and top-of-the-line work boots when he died
- He was of medium height and stocky build and may have been an agricultural or ranch worker
By Suzannah Hills
PUBLISHED: 05:11 EST, 28 January 2014 | UPDATED: 05:44 EST, 28 January 2014
Murder detectives have released an image of a unique belt and buckle found on a headless corpse in the hopes it will help identify the male victim.
The man's headless body was found by duck hunters along a rural Wyoming roadside in Cody, near the border with Montana, on January 9.
Wyoming Park County Sheriff's Office have so far been unable to identify him so released the image of the unusual belt.
They hope co-workers, friends or relatives may recognise it and be able to help identify his body.
Unusual: Wyoming police have released this image of a belt and buckle found on a headless corpse int he hopes it may help to identify him
The craftsmanship and design of his belt and buckle, which depicts the head of horse, suggest a form of leather craftsmanship known as 'piteado', associated with villages in Mexico and Guatemala and popular with horsemen or cowboys.
Sheriff Scott Steward said: 'This is not to say that the victim was from those regions. It is simply a design native to those areas. It would be irresponsible of us to eliminate any possibilities at this stage.'
An autopsy by a Wyoming forensic pathologist determined the man died of multiple gunshot wounds, authorities said.
Investigators, aided by cadaver dogs, have scoured the sagebrush flats near where the body was found but have so far failed to locate the man's head or other unspecified body parts that were likely removed after death.
Crime scene: The dead man's decapitated body was found by duck hunters on a rural Wyoming roadside on January 9. It is believed he was shot to death two days earlier
Mr Steward added: 'The sheriff's office will continue to aggressively pursue this investigation with primary focus on identifying the victim and bringing his killers to justice.'
As well as the decorative belt, the man was wearing jeans and top-of-the-line work boots when he was killed on or around January 7.
He was of medium height and stocky build and may have been an agricultural or ranch worker. He was described by authorities as a Caucasian or very light-skinned Hispanic male younger than 35 years old.
But where the man was from, where he resided and whether he was killed in rural Wyoming or elsewhere, are not yet known and no suspects are in custody.
Mr Steward said authorities were following up on dozens of leads but had not yet been able to identify the man.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Hall of Fame pitcher Goose Gossage helps print money at Denver Mint
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- Want to live in a house with an ocean view from every room? Inspiring pictures of the most incredible homes built last year
- Connecticut woman leaves six-year-old boy locked in car for two hours in 140-degree heat
- The skinsuit that can turn you into a superhero
- Family rescue adorable 'puppy' but then discover it's a FOX!
- Met Gala 2014: Karolina Kurkova, Diane Kruger, Kim Kardashian and Dakota Johnson lead the glamour in blue
- Air Algerie plane crash site pictured as French president refuses to rule terror attack
- Colorado house where JonBenet Ramsey was murdered is listed for $2million - and the eerie listing INCLUDES a photo of the basement where her body was found
- The old photographs that should never have left the darkroom: Awkward Family Photos creators unveil best of the worst of their series for new L.A. exhibition
- Meet Allison Moore, the cop who got hooked on meth
- MH17 victims Mary and Gerry Menke's family say they were 'inseparable'
- Father arrested after allegedly refusing to pick up missing son
- Jesse Ventura wins $1.8million defamation suit against slain Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle
- Richie Incognito 'admitted to psychiatric unit' after smashing Ferrari
- Seattle Seahawks' Russell Wilson to become $100m brand after Super Bowl 2014 performance
- GOAT riding a man riding a bike through Ethiopian streets
- Comedian Marlon Wayans to host new reality competition
- ISIS releases recruitment video featuring three young British extremists
- Teacher 'had sex with student in house near middle school for over a year'
- Woman under DUI probation writes criminalizing facebook post
- Tattoos and talons: Inside the world of Japan's Bosozoku gang girls where the women are just as bad ass as the men
- Bernie who inspired Jack Black comedy moves in with director Richard Linklater as he gets early prison release
- Meet the seven women of Bravo's 'Ladies of London' whose drinking, cat fighting, royal name dropping and even labor scenes are coming to TV
- Missing Jennifer Huston seen in video withdrawing cash before she disappeared
- Adrienne Bailon angers Kim Kardashian by dissing Rob
- Grocery chain threatens to sack ALL its workers unless they return to work from mass protests to save beloved 'It's a Wonderful LIfe' CEO who lost control of company
- Former high-school cheerleader may face charges in death of cop who had given up a career as bank manager to fight crime
- CDOT: I-25 NB reopens after 104-car pileup
- Jennifer Hudson parts ways with Weight Watchers
- Pictured: The boy, 16, who stabbed his 'friend' to death after she refused to go to prom with him because she was already going with her boyfriend
- Bristol Palin and Levi Johnston's text message row over son Tripp
- Volleyball players given short notice of no permits at Washington Park on Saturday
- Could BURNING split ends be better than a haircut?
- Hawaiian woman 'stabbed to death by 16-year-old foster son'
- MH17 investigators find more bodies and parts of passenger jet
- Obama hauls Central American leaders to White House to order them to stop immigration flood - but they blame HIM for 'ambiguous' policies
- Texas doctor who moved to Africa to help ebola patients has contracted the disease which has now spread to Nigeria after an infected businessman boarded a plane
- Teacher Kaitlin Roig-DeBellis who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Landslide hits Indian village, killing at least 21
- 65-year-old teacher admits to detectives he tried to kiss student
- The men behind the masks: The hidden world of female masking
- Shocking video footage shows Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice drag his girlfriend out of an Atlantic City casino elevator by her legs
- Rupert Murdoch attends Vanity Fair Oscar party with a young blonde companion
- Obama DENIES 13-year-old Army daughter a selfie after she waited hours for him with endearing sign
- Kung-fu snow leopard cub twins put on a martial arts show
- Biden in Denver for Udall fundraiser tonight
- Released POW Bowe Bergdahl to return to the US tomorrow as newly leaked letters reveal he blamed his superior officers for deserting his post
- Neymar takes selfie with girlfriend Gabriella Lenzi after Brazil World Cup win
Scorn of 'stitch bitch' Alexander McQueen... designer who dressed (and dissed!) the A-list: Banning Posh from free frocks. Assaulting Madonna (with a spud). What couture's bad boy REALLY thought of his clients revealed by his live-in lover (2.00)
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Cornell Robinson, Devery Kelley accused of robbing pregnant woman in labor in Maryland
- Father needed hospital treatment for three inch gash in his head after being attacked by his neighbour's cat because it hated his Hugo Boss AFTERSHAVE
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Business student 'posed on online dating sites as a high-flying engineer and architect to dupe love-struck women from around the world out of £186,000'
- Children undergo traditional 'lucky haircuts' in China (but don't seem happy about it!)
- And the Oscar goes to Samsung, Twitter AND Apple: How Ellen's backstage iPhone antics took the gloss off the now famous A-list selfie retweet taken on rival Galaxy smartphone
- Pictured: The men who stole the car of woman in labor at gunpoint
- Unseasonably warm weather set to make 1,000-mile Iditarod race even MORE grueling as mushers set off