Wyoming police release photograph of headless corpse's BELT
- Body was found by duck hunters along a rural Wyoming road on January 9
- Wyoming detectives are still unable to identify him despite public appeals
- They have now released an image of his unusual belt and buckle in the hope co-workers, friends or relatives may recognise it
- Its design suggests a form of leather craftsmanship known as 'piteado' - which is common in Mexico and Guatemala
- Victim was also wearing jeans and top-of-the-line work boots when he died
- He was of medium height and stocky build and may have been an agricultural or ranch worker
By Suzannah Hills
PUBLISHED: 05:11 EST, 28 January 2014 | UPDATED: 05:44 EST, 28 January 2014
Murder detectives have released an image of a unique belt and buckle found on a headless corpse in the hopes it will help identify the male victim.
The man's headless body was found by duck hunters along a rural Wyoming roadside in Cody, near the border with Montana, on January 9.
Wyoming Park County Sheriff's Office have so far been unable to identify him so released the image of the unusual belt.
They hope co-workers, friends or relatives may recognise it and be able to help identify his body.
Unusual: Wyoming police have released this image of a belt and buckle found on a headless corpse int he hopes it may help to identify him
The craftsmanship and design of his belt and buckle, which depicts the head of horse, suggest a form of leather craftsmanship known as 'piteado', associated with villages in Mexico and Guatemala and popular with horsemen or cowboys.
Sheriff Scott Steward said: 'This is not to say that the victim was from those regions. It is simply a design native to those areas. It would be irresponsible of us to eliminate any possibilities at this stage.'
An autopsy by a Wyoming forensic pathologist determined the man died of multiple gunshot wounds, authorities said.
Investigators, aided by cadaver dogs, have scoured the sagebrush flats near where the body was found but have so far failed to locate the man's head or other unspecified body parts that were likely removed after death.
Crime scene: The dead man's decapitated body was found by duck hunters on a rural Wyoming roadside on January 9. It is believed he was shot to death two days earlier
Mr Steward added: 'The sheriff's office will continue to aggressively pursue this investigation with primary focus on identifying the victim and bringing his killers to justice.'
As well as the decorative belt, the man was wearing jeans and top-of-the-line work boots when he was killed on or around January 7.
He was of medium height and stocky build and may have been an agricultural or ranch worker. He was described by authorities as a Caucasian or very light-skinned Hispanic male younger than 35 years old.
But where the man was from, where he resided and whether he was killed in rural Wyoming or elsewhere, are not yet known and no suspects are in custody.
Mr Steward said authorities were following up on dozens of leads but had not yet been able to identify the man.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
U.S. Marine Pfc. Joseph Scott Pemberton, 19, is suspected of killing 26-year-old Jennifer Laude, once called Jeffrey, in a cheap hotel last week Pemberton and other ...
- Chinese woman whips and kicks a toddler for wetting herself
- Ben & Jerry's will NOT change the name of new ice cream 'Hazed & Confused' despite complaints from anti-hazing activists
- Serena Williams does the splits to put knee fears to rest as she beats Ana Ivanovic in straight sets at WTA championships
- Controversial CEO of oil giant Total killed in private jet plane crash after aircraft hit snow plough on take-off from Moscow airport
- Tasmanian devil is mysteriously found dead in a puddle of blood at a New Mexico zoo after someone 'threw a piece of asphalt at its skull'
- Halloween reveler pokes fun at domestic violence by dressing as Ray Rice dragging life-size blow up doll of wife he beat unconscious
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Girl, 16, with a heart condition collapses and dies while walking through haunted house
- Radicalized Canadian Muslim convert runs down two young soldiers in his car before being shot dead by police
- Disney's next animated feature, 'Moana,' slated for 2016 release
- Indiana body count rises to SEVEN as police fear 'Backpage' serial killer may have murdered many more women across the country
- Listen to Taylor Swift's new single, 'Welcome to New York'
- Reeva Steenkamp's sister pleads with judge to jail Oscar Pistorius for twenty years
- ISIS tells its jihadis to stop betraying their location through Twitter
- Bill and Hillary ignore Monica Lewinsky's public re-emergence as they continue supporting Democratic candidates on the campaign trail in Louisiana and California
- CDC issues new guidelines for treating Ebola patients that ALL skin must be covered, after two nurses of patient zero contracted the virus
- Casey Baird's horror after daughter Tawnee is stabbed to death 'by her lesbian partner'
- Free late at last! Ebola children rush back to school in Dallas after release form 21 day quarantine as a relative of Thomas Eric Duncan is pictured hours after being given the all clear
- Ohio man holding five children hostage threatens to open fire on police
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Chicago police officer pulled out of his car at 5.45am by cop colleagues and charged with drunk driving down the freeway in the WRONG DIRECTION
- Ohio girl who cut off her hair to give to cancer patients has to be taken out of school after being bullied and told she's ugly
- Sale of Joan Fontaine's house to aid animal group
- PIERS MORGAN: It wasn't the Internet that ruined your reputation, Monica, it was lust in the world's most powerful room - now welcome to Twitter!
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Firefighters remove bricks and use dish soap as lubricant to remove a woman allegedly trying to burglarize a California home and got stuck in the chimney
- The electric suit that shocks you slim: A new, high-tech exercise regime simply requires you to strap yourself into a body suit and endure the pain
- Woman who got stuck in chimney had been dumped by homeowner she met online and had already been caught on his roof once before
- David Letterman's cue-card holder Tony Mendez fired for assault
- Bethany Joy Lenz reunites with 'One Tree Hill' co-stars
- KNOP-TV's Joe Swift fired for wishing departing colleagues good luck live on-air
- Are YOU spreading germs every time you wash the dishes? Researchers find 90% of tea towels in US kitchens are covered in bacteria
- Fashion legend Oscar de la Renta dead at 82
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- 'Ebola cruise' ordeal ends as ship docks in Texas: Helicopter sent to collect blood sample from quarantined passenger after boat was turned away from Belize and Mexico
- Glimpses of the after-life: A top brain surgeon told how he saw heaven while in a coma. Today, he reveals the stories of others who say they've had similar life-changing experiences
- Slava Voynov suspended after he's arrested for domestic violence
- Chili's cook fired for posting on Facebook 'sexy' shirtless photos taken at work
- Apple Pay launched to let you tap your iPhone 6 to pay in stores
- Apple reports record 39.3 million iPhone sales
- Terms of Service
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Legendary retired football coach killed in car crash outside a football game his son was coaching 'after wife lost control of their car'
State senator arrested TWICE in the same weekend for 'stalking' a frightened neighbor and TPing her house... just a month after he was caught drinking in public while sitting uninvited in other people's yards (0)
New York toddler is 'beaten to death by her mother's boyfriend after she accidentally soiled herself'... as a neighbor claims she 'reported weeks' worth of fights between the couple but got no response' (0)
Ebola hysteria sweeps US schools: Maine teacher who visited Dallas told not to come to work for 21 days as hundreds of Mississippi parents pull kids school because principal visited Zambia... 3,000 miles from countries hit by the disease (0)