Wyoming police release photograph of headless corpse's BELT
- Body was found by duck hunters along a rural Wyoming road on January 9
- Wyoming detectives are still unable to identify him despite public appeals
- They have now released an image of his unusual belt and buckle in the hope co-workers, friends or relatives may recognise it
- Its design suggests a form of leather craftsmanship known as 'piteado' - which is common in Mexico and Guatemala
- Victim was also wearing jeans and top-of-the-line work boots when he died
- He was of medium height and stocky build and may have been an agricultural or ranch worker
By Suzannah Hills
PUBLISHED: 05:11 EST, 28 January 2014 | UPDATED: 05:44 EST, 28 January 2014
Murder detectives have released an image of a unique belt and buckle found on a headless corpse in the hopes it will help identify the male victim.
The man's headless body was found by duck hunters along a rural Wyoming roadside in Cody, near the border with Montana, on January 9.
Wyoming Park County Sheriff's Office have so far been unable to identify him so released the image of the unusual belt.
They hope co-workers, friends or relatives may recognise it and be able to help identify his body.
Unusual: Wyoming police have released this image of a belt and buckle found on a headless corpse int he hopes it may help to identify him
The craftsmanship and design of his belt and buckle, which depicts the head of horse, suggest a form of leather craftsmanship known as 'piteado', associated with villages in Mexico and Guatemala and popular with horsemen or cowboys.
Sheriff Scott Steward said: 'This is not to say that the victim was from those regions. It is simply a design native to those areas. It would be irresponsible of us to eliminate any possibilities at this stage.'
An autopsy by a Wyoming forensic pathologist determined the man died of multiple gunshot wounds, authorities said.
Investigators, aided by cadaver dogs, have scoured the sagebrush flats near where the body was found but have so far failed to locate the man's head or other unspecified body parts that were likely removed after death.
Crime scene: The dead man's decapitated body was found by duck hunters on a rural Wyoming roadside on January 9. It is believed he was shot to death two days earlier
Mr Steward added: 'The sheriff's office will continue to aggressively pursue this investigation with primary focus on identifying the victim and bringing his killers to justice.'
As well as the decorative belt, the man was wearing jeans and top-of-the-line work boots when he was killed on or around January 7.
He was of medium height and stocky build and may have been an agricultural or ranch worker. He was described by authorities as a Caucasian or very light-skinned Hispanic male younger than 35 years old.
But where the man was from, where he resided and whether he was killed in rural Wyoming or elsewhere, are not yet known and no suspects are in custody.
Mr Steward said authorities were following up on dozens of leads but had not yet been able to identify the man.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Bride to be killed in car crash and fiance injured on way back from pre-marriage counselling session
Shannon Hall, 24, was killed when the car her fiance Justin Cyzan, 27, was driving collided with a school busThe couple had planned to marry ...
- Surfer's worst nightmare: Drone footage captures a massive shark circling paddle boarders in the water as it chases school of fish
- Fury over NY Times critic who called 'Scandal' and 'Grey's Anatomy' creator Shonda Rhimes an 'angry black woman'
- Fifth 'armed and dangerous' inmate who broke out of California jail is captured and put back in custody 24 hours after four other escapees were apprehended
- Woman accused of breaking into Tennessee elementary school cafeteria in her underwear and wielding baseball bat while screaming
- 'I was in too much shock to scream': Australian tourist, 21, who was shot in the face in New Orleans is trying to raise $135,000 to reconstruct her face... because her travel insurance won't cover the costs
- Django Unchained actress who 'cried wolf' by accusing LAPD of racially profiling her for kissing boyfriend in public refuses to apologize - despite calls from civil rights activists
- British woman found dead and partner still missing off the coast of Mexico after the yacht they were in was hit by Hurricane Odile
- 'Treat any body fluid as though it is infectious': CDC issues alarming new Ebola warning for crews of U.S. airlines
- Melanie Griffith displays her very slender frame in black leggings as she jets into LAX with daughter Stella after whirlwind NY trip
- Beverley Hills mansion with 16-car garage, vodka bar, home cinema and its own candy wall goes on sale for staggering $85MILLION
- First kegs of Oktoberfest are tapped as steins and beer tents overflow in Munich
- Pictured: The two men who 'breached White House security one after the other' - an Iraq vet with PTSD who 'jumped the fence with a knife', and a 19-year-old college student
- Mum quits smoking after online deal with daughter goes viral
- 2 year old boy rescued after his pram fell onto Camberwell train tracks
- Peg Entwistle finally lands film role as her life is to be turned into a blockbuster
- Pope Francis makes first major U.S. appointment naming moderate as archbishop to Chicago's 2.2 million Catholics
- It can't be too far off! VERY pregnant Chelsea Clinton appears at star-studded gala as dad Bill reveals October 1 due date
- Sarah Palin finally speaks out about Alaska brawl
- Cops on your tail? Four police required tranquilizer gun, marshmallows, and lots of patience to capture a RACCOON who broke into a Bronx beauty shop
- Living every teen's dream? America's oldest mall becomes newest backdrop for micro-loft trend as tenants clamor for 225-square-foot apartments
- Dams not reached by water, boats crowded in dried-up reservoirs and rapidly shrinking lake levels: Extraordinary images highlight the devastating impact drought is having on the West - and forecasters say it is going to continue
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Civil rights activists demand apology from Django Unchained actress who 'cried wolf' by accusing LAPD of racially profiling her for kissing boyfriend in public
- Doctor tells how he suspected his mistress of poisoning him after she gave him a 'special coffee from Colombia' and he became dizzy
- Julie Bishop tells UN that taking action against IS terrorists is now a matter of conscience
- The most loved and hated airlines according to Twitter
- With her 'last breath,' hero mom hid her baby in the toilet, sheltering the infant in the toilet as her boyfriend shot her in the head before turning the gun on himself
- Prince William is huge hit with the crowds as he stands in for Kate Middleton on two-day tour
- Hayely Turner charged with faking own abduction that caused manhunt
- Michigan woman missing almost three months discovered decomposing in a 55-gallon plastic drum filled with concrete
- KFC's Vietnamese spin-off forced to pull red star from 'offensive' logo days after launch as protesters claim it celebrates brutal communist regime
- 'Maze Runner' brings in $11.3M Friday
- Man denies killing Isabella Grogan-Cannella during hide-and-seek
- Millions to march in cities all over the world today demanding urgent action on climate change
- 'Maze Runner' tops the North American box office
- Apple will finally let users know what apps are draining their battery life with new iOS 8
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Caned in front of a baying crowd: Eight convicted gamblers are subjected to brutal Sharia punishment in Indonesian mosque
- Bullying gambler who lost his biggest bet: How nobody but Alex Salmond could have led Scotland to the brink of divorce from the rest of the UK
- The tribe time forgot: Hunting baboons with Tanzania's Hadza people who have lived a life unchanged for 10,000 years
- Seven British jihadis photographed in terror picture holding AK47 are mocked for not showing their faces
- 'Lucky for me when we went underwater I saw him and poked his eye': Hunter tells of his amazing escape from the jaws of a crocodile as the beast dragged him under for a 'death roll'
- Hunt for Brit couple after yacht was overturned as Hurricane Odile hit Mexico
- Baltimore Ravens 'knew about Ray Rice video within hours of NFL player's brutal attack'
- Minnesota authorities take action to stop Viking's Adrian Peterson seeing his son
- New Jersey cop collides with vehicle in Dunkin Donuts parking lot then crashes police SUV
- 'My eighth grader was given detention for sharing his lunch with a school friend:' claims his angry mom
- Where did the green 'alien eggs' come from? Scientists baffled by UFOs (Unidentified Floating Objects) that washed up on a Sydney beach
'I am going to die today': Man, 33, who allegedly attempted to die in a 'suicide by cop' may have been saved by the Whisper app after posting real-time photos of SWAT teams and expressing suicidal desires (0)