Police arrest suspects off GPS clues for triple murder of two teens and their father in New Years Eve home invasion
- Violent sex offender Eric Donta Hendon, 31, and his brother Michael Deon Hendon, 22, are each charged with three counts of aggravated murder
- The elder Hendon is a registered violent sex offender - he was granted a supervised release last June after 13 years in prison
- He was originally locked up in 2000 for shooting a woman in the vagina
- Police tracked him down using his court-mandated GPS ankle bracelet
- Ashley Carpenter, 18, and David Kohler-Carpenter, 14, were pronounced dead at the scene, father John Kohler was taken off life support last week
- Stepmother Ronda Blankenship remains hospitalized
By Louise Boyle and Ryan Gorman
PUBLISHED: 15:41 EST, 9 January 2014 | UPDATED: 17:49 EST, 9 January 2014
Two men have been arrested in connection with a New Year's Eve shooting that claimed three lives and left another person critically injured after police tracked them down using GPS.
Brothers Eric Donta Hendon, 31, and Michael Deon Hendon, 22, are accused by police of breaking into the Barberton, Ohio home and shooting two teenage siblings dead. The teens' father died Friday from his injuries, their stepmother remains hospitalized.
Ashley Carpenter, 18, and David Kohler-Carpenter, 14, were pronounced dead at the scene. Father John Kohler, 42, was taken off life support last week. Stepmother Ronda Blankenship, 38, remains hospitalized, according to the Akron Beacon Journal.
The elder Hendon is a registered violent sex offender out on parole, GPS surveillance placed him at the slain family's home at the time the shooting occurred, police told the paper.
Arrested: Eric Donta Hendon (left) and Michael Deon Hendon (right) have each been charged with three counts of aggravated murder
Authorities charged each brother with
three counts of aggravated murder during a Wednesday hearing which saw
their bond set at $10million a piece, records showed.
A grand jury hearing set for next Thursday may see prosecutors ask for the death penalty, sources said told the Beacon Journal.
Eric Hendon was released from prison this past June after serving a 13-year sentence for shooting a woman in the vagina, according to the paper.
He was released into the custody of a halfway house under the terms of his supervised release requiring him to wear a GPS ankle bracelet.
That GPS device revealed the violent man was in the area of the home where the slayings occurred for roughly six minutes on New Year's Eve around the time investigators believe the victims died, the Beacon Journal reported.
Ashley Carpenter, 18, was shot dead in her Ohio home on New Year's Eve along with her 14-year-old brother David (pictured right)
A search of Eric Hendon's home found jeans with a red stain on the thigh, possibly blood, officials said.
Investigators believe the Hendon brothers targeted the home because Mr Kohler was a known marijuana dealer, according to an affidavit cited by the Beacon Journal.
The father of two had no previous arrested for drug trafficking, the paper noted.
Mr Kohler, 42, and girlfriend Ronda Blankenship, 38, were both injured in the attack and taken to a local hospital. Mr Kohler has since been taken off life support, Ms Blankenship is clinging to life, according to the Beacon Journal.
Miss Carpenter was a senior at Barberton High while her brother was in middle school.
Police told Ohio.com that at least two gunmen broke into the family's home around 7pm on December 31. Police responded following a 911 call from an anonymous source.
The children's father John Kohler has died from injuries sustained in the assault, girlfriend Ronda Blankenship (right) is still hospitalized
Officer Marty Eberhart said that he believed to motive to be robbery but would not reveal further details but that authorities had leads to who was behind the slayings.
The children’s mother, Leiha Carpenter, lives in town.
Tim Terry and Michelle Olei, who live
next door, told ohio.com: 'I had my video game going. I didn’t hear
anything. I think it was something personal.'
The scene of the home invasion where two teens were shot and killed in Barberton, Ohio
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
John Seested, 68, was admitted to University of Kansas hospital in June with symptoms similar to those of tick-borne diseasesBut tests for known illnesses came ...
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- 'Why pick on Sony? They haven't had a hit since the Walkman': Sony hack gets the Saturday Night Live treatment as Mike Myers makes his return to the show as Dr. Evil
- Parents on first flight with baby distribute goodie bags to placate passengers at 35,000ft
- Muhammad Ali hospitalized with pneumonia
- Comedienne Margaret Cho 'to divorce' her artist husband after 11 years of open marriage
- Stephen Collins' victim says he's, he was pleasured and she does NOT accept his apology
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's teenage son is recovering from injuries after 'being mugged and put in a chokehold by two men' near family's home
- From juggling a litter of hyper puppies to being sat on by an emu: Meet the animal photographer who captures adorable pet snaps
- Obama: No justification for murder of NYC police
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Protesters greet Obama on first day of Hawaiian vacation as president goes golfing during Brooklyn cop killing
- Police release sketch of meteorologist shooting suspect
- Yule have fun matching the (very gaudy) tree to the star
- Mel B cancels vital eye operation just a week after claims she split from her husband amid rumours of physical abuse
- Families of Michael Brown and Eric Garner condemn shootings of NYPD officers
- Autopsy report of mayor husband shot dead by his 'battered' wife reveals she suffered 'over 20 years of physical abuse'
- Thousands of police brutality protesters rally at Mall of America chanting 'black lives matter,' shutting down part of the shopping complex
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Robert De Niro, Lady Gaga, and 548 others answer the question: Lennon or McCartney?
- We know where you live: Astonishing threat made by James Murdoch to the head of Ofcom over BSkyB takeover bid
- Floyd Mayweather paid for rapper Early Hayes' funeral despite 'watching the rapper shoot his wife and then himself on FaceTime'
- Mother-of-nine told Irish gunman who shot her 12 times: 'Do you not think that's enough?'
- Widow of ISIS beheading victim Alan Henning was 'having an affair with his brother-in-law while he was being held hostage by terrorists in Syria'
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Dog owner whose Weimaraner Geist was killed by police wants $1.5 million in damages as he demands cops change their policies on using force against animals
- A headless choir, Mickey the lynched Mouse and Santa going to the bathroom: How a disgruntled man is waging war on his neighbors with his ugly Christmas display
- Tree at Scarborough South Cliff Golf Club has grown around a golf ball
- ISIS release photos of a man having his hand amputated for theft
- Who is the CIA's queen of torture? Al Qaeda expert who tortured suspects, lied to the Senate about her results and lost key information on 9/11 was mentioned 36 times in torture report
- Muhammad Ali hospitalized with pneumonia
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Kalvin Hunt who killed pedestrian with fire truck found not guilty by reason of insanity
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Two New York police officers shot in Brooklyn
- Swallowing a slice of turkey... without a single gobble! Dangerous food stunt sweeps the internet
- EXCLUSIVE: The secret heartache and humiliation behind Rihanna's Diamond Ball: Her alcoholic father admits he was thrown out after getting drunk
- Saudi dancers' routine goes horribly wrong when one shoots the other in the backside by mistake
- Instagram crackdown on fake accounts set up to make celebrities look more popular comes into effect
- Refuge says it wants to adopt Bela, the dog whose owner willed him to be killed after her death ...but the executor of the estate hasn't decided to spare his life
- Christmas Storm set to bring rain, snow and thunder across USA East Coast
- Martha Gaza and her son Samuel 'killed by woman on prescription drugs'
- By George! Look who will be rocking into 2015: My future kingdom for a horse (well, a £4,650 zebra). What prince is getting from Santa
- Marquis de Sade's descendants reclaim his title after 200 years of disowning novelist
- George W Bush dresses up as Santa to hand out toys at children's hospital
- Women's voices really DO make men's skin tingle: How electrical activity in the skin increases when fertile women speak
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida