Police arrest suspects off GPS clues for triple murder of two teens and their father in New Years Eve home invasion
- Violent sex offender Eric Donta Hendon, 31, and his brother Michael Deon Hendon, 22, are each charged with three counts of aggravated murder
- The elder Hendon is a registered violent sex offender - he was granted a supervised release last June after 13 years in prison
- He was originally locked up in 2000 for shooting a woman in the vagina
- Police tracked him down using his court-mandated GPS ankle bracelet
- Ashley Carpenter, 18, and David Kohler-Carpenter, 14, were pronounced dead at the scene, father John Kohler was taken off life support last week
- Stepmother Ronda Blankenship remains hospitalized
By Louise Boyle and Ryan Gorman
PUBLISHED: 15:41 EST, 9 January 2014 | UPDATED: 17:49 EST, 9 January 2014
Two men have been arrested in connection with a New Year's Eve shooting that claimed three lives and left another person critically injured after police tracked them down using GPS.
Brothers Eric Donta Hendon, 31, and Michael Deon Hendon, 22, are accused by police of breaking into the Barberton, Ohio home and shooting two teenage siblings dead. The teens' father died Friday from his injuries, their stepmother remains hospitalized.
Ashley Carpenter, 18, and David Kohler-Carpenter, 14, were pronounced dead at the scene. Father John Kohler, 42, was taken off life support last week. Stepmother Ronda Blankenship, 38, remains hospitalized, according to the Akron Beacon Journal.
The elder Hendon is a registered violent sex offender out on parole, GPS surveillance placed him at the slain family's home at the time the shooting occurred, police told the paper.
Arrested: Eric Donta Hendon (left) and Michael Deon Hendon (right) have each been charged with three counts of aggravated murder
Authorities charged each brother with
three counts of aggravated murder during a Wednesday hearing which saw
their bond set at $10million a piece, records showed.
A grand jury hearing set for next Thursday may see prosecutors ask for the death penalty, sources said told the Beacon Journal.
Eric Hendon was released from prison this past June after serving a 13-year sentence for shooting a woman in the vagina, according to the paper.
He was released into the custody of a halfway house under the terms of his supervised release requiring him to wear a GPS ankle bracelet.
That GPS device revealed the violent man was in the area of the home where the slayings occurred for roughly six minutes on New Year's Eve around the time investigators believe the victims died, the Beacon Journal reported.
Ashley Carpenter, 18, was shot dead in her Ohio home on New Year's Eve along with her 14-year-old brother David (pictured right)
A search of Eric Hendon's home found jeans with a red stain on the thigh, possibly blood, officials said.
Investigators believe the Hendon brothers targeted the home because Mr Kohler was a known marijuana dealer, according to an affidavit cited by the Beacon Journal.
The father of two had no previous arrested for drug trafficking, the paper noted.
Mr Kohler, 42, and girlfriend Ronda Blankenship, 38, were both injured in the attack and taken to a local hospital. Mr Kohler has since been taken off life support, Ms Blankenship is clinging to life, according to the Beacon Journal.
Miss Carpenter was a senior at Barberton High while her brother was in middle school.
Police told Ohio.com that at least two gunmen broke into the family's home around 7pm on December 31. Police responded following a 911 call from an anonymous source.
The children's father John Kohler has died from injuries sustained in the assault, girlfriend Ronda Blankenship (right) is still hospitalized
Officer Marty Eberhart said that he believed to motive to be robbery but would not reveal further details but that authorities had leads to who was behind the slayings.
The children’s mother, Leiha Carpenter, lives in town.
Tim Terry and Michelle Olei, who live
next door, told ohio.com: 'I had my video game going. I didn’t hear
anything. I think it was something personal.'
The scene of the home invasion where two teens were shot and killed in Barberton, Ohio
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Chinatown's American Dream: Cramped migrant workers sleep cramped together in tiny $9-a-night cubicles, while families share meals in a space the size of a cuboard
- Sharny Kieser encourages women to have a bikini shoot after losing pregnancy weight
- Woman finally brings home three adopted daughters after SEVEN YEAR wait
- Al Roker's bicep needed to be reattached after rotator cuff surgery
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- Search for Austrian teens Samra Kesinovic and Sabina Selimovic 'in Syria fighting for Islamic rebels'
- Hawaii stowaway boy's friends speak out after his 'miracle' flight as it emerges that he spent six hours undetected by security cameras and guards at San Jose airport
- Dr. Zyad Younan refuses to pay $135k strip club bill because he claims he was 'drugged'
- Five people rescued via helicopter from rocky island off the Queensland coast after being stranded for nine hours
- Three candidates for Fire Board meet with community; Three withdraw, citing dirty politics
- Guess they didn't want to call her Cthulhu: Parents who let the INTERNET decide their baby's name opt for No. 2 choice Amelia
- Chicago eye surgeon 'recorded patients with hidden video camera in ladies restroom'
- Daughter charged with cruelty after police found her 87-year-old mother 'living in dirt and feces with bedsores infected to the bone'
- Bachelorette contestant left comatose in critical condition after paragliding accident
- A gentleman is always on time and makes love on his elbows... but doesn't tweet or own a cat: Country Life reveal the ten dos and don'ts of the 'Gentlemanly Commandments'
- Coroner confirms two drivers killed in Littleton crash
- Dane Eagle who sponsored drug testing bill busted for DUI at a Taco Bell just miles from state Capitol
- ‘Kitchen Nightmares’ visits Old Neighborhood restaurant in Arvada
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Amber Heard's ex-boyfriend claims she is expecting... as fiance Johnny Depp admits he is 'broody' and wants '100 kids'
- KFC introduces chicken corsage just in time for prom
- Tattoos and talons: Inside the world of Japan's Bosozoku gang girls where the women are just as bad ass as the men
- Slideshow: Photographs related to the investigation into Ashley Fallis’ death
- Peaches Geldof's body released to family to allow for funeral arrangements
- Inmate dies at Fremont County Detention Center
- Officer has face mauled by police K9 when he tried to take selfie with it
- 'Manipulative' Miami man, 42, GUILTY of brutally murdering his wife with a tire iron just four days after their wedding so he could claim her $1 million life insurance
- 'It's ridiculous!': Two cars fall into hidden Detroit sinkhole within moments of each other
- America's East Coast once caught between colliding tectonic plates
- Iggy Azalea and beau Nick Young fall victim to naked-photo hoax
- Up to five of the 13 sherpas killed by Mount Everest avalanche may have been employed by the NBC and Discovery Channel expedition ahead of network's summit and televised live jump
- Llama found dead; group boasts about kill on Facebook
- Wife of man killed in swan attack sues lake owner for failing to consider danger
- Hickenlooper responds to Christie's pot comments
- Outrage as a pair of ex-convict squatters take over Florida home of Afghan war veteran and refuse to leave
- Mother who 'lifted 6-month-old baby over her head by the feet before smashing her into a dresser' pleads not guilty to murder
- Accused murderer wants 'murder' neck tattoo removed before his trial
- Stephen Colbert visits Late Show for first time since it was announced he would take over for David Letterman
- U.S. to step up efforts to hunt down Ugandan warlord Joseph Kony
- 'Avengers 2': First glimpses of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver from 'Age of Ultron'
- Bitter Facebook vengeance of a woman scorned: Tycoon sues ex-wife for astonishing online attack that cost him his new lover
- Bill criminalizing cyberbullying killed over free speech concerns
- He came in, whispered in her ear and shot her Five-year-old tells cops how her father shot dead mother as she slept alongside her as he is discovered on the run in El Salvador
- BLM backs down in dispute over Nevada rancher’s cattle
- No running water for 2 weeks for residents of mountain town
- Calling all millionaire history buffs! George Washington family 400-acre country estate to go up for auction
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Mystery of a town wiped off the map by Google: How the fake Agloe, New York, conceived as a 'copyright trap' by cartographers turned into a real hamlet before vanishing forever
- Puerto Rican musician Cheo Feliciano dead at 78