Police arrest suspects off GPS clues for triple murder of two teens and their father in New Years Eve home invasion
- Violent sex offender Eric Donta Hendon, 31, and his brother Michael Deon Hendon, 22, are each charged with three counts of aggravated murder
- The elder Hendon is a registered violent sex offender - he was granted a supervised release last June after 13 years in prison
- He was originally locked up in 2000 for shooting a woman in the vagina
- Police tracked him down using his court-mandated GPS ankle bracelet
- Ashley Carpenter, 18, and David Kohler-Carpenter, 14, were pronounced dead at the scene, father John Kohler was taken off life support last week
- Stepmother Ronda Blankenship remains hospitalized
By Louise Boyle and Ryan Gorman
PUBLISHED: 15:41 EST, 9 January 2014 | UPDATED: 17:49 EST, 9 January 2014
Two men have been arrested in connection with a New Year's Eve shooting that claimed three lives and left another person critically injured after police tracked them down using GPS.
Brothers Eric Donta Hendon, 31, and Michael Deon Hendon, 22, are accused by police of breaking into the Barberton, Ohio home and shooting two teenage siblings dead. The teens' father died Friday from his injuries, their stepmother remains hospitalized.
Ashley Carpenter, 18, and David Kohler-Carpenter, 14, were pronounced dead at the scene. Father John Kohler, 42, was taken off life support last week. Stepmother Ronda Blankenship, 38, remains hospitalized, according to the Akron Beacon Journal.
The elder Hendon is a registered violent sex offender out on parole, GPS surveillance placed him at the slain family's home at the time the shooting occurred, police told the paper.
Arrested: Eric Donta Hendon (left) and Michael Deon Hendon (right) have each been charged with three counts of aggravated murder
Authorities charged each brother with
three counts of aggravated murder during a Wednesday hearing which saw
their bond set at $10million a piece, records showed.
A grand jury hearing set for next Thursday may see prosecutors ask for the death penalty, sources said told the Beacon Journal.
Eric Hendon was released from prison this past June after serving a 13-year sentence for shooting a woman in the vagina, according to the paper.
He was released into the custody of a halfway house under the terms of his supervised release requiring him to wear a GPS ankle bracelet.
That GPS device revealed the violent man was in the area of the home where the slayings occurred for roughly six minutes on New Year's Eve around the time investigators believe the victims died, the Beacon Journal reported.
Ashley Carpenter, 18, was shot dead in her Ohio home on New Year's Eve along with her 14-year-old brother David (pictured right)
A search of Eric Hendon's home found jeans with a red stain on the thigh, possibly blood, officials said.
Investigators believe the Hendon brothers targeted the home because Mr Kohler was a known marijuana dealer, according to an affidavit cited by the Beacon Journal.
The father of two had no previous arrested for drug trafficking, the paper noted.
Mr Kohler, 42, and girlfriend Ronda Blankenship, 38, were both injured in the attack and taken to a local hospital. Mr Kohler has since been taken off life support, Ms Blankenship is clinging to life, according to the Beacon Journal.
Miss Carpenter was a senior at Barberton High while her brother was in middle school.
Police told Ohio.com that at least two gunmen broke into the family's home around 7pm on December 31. Police responded following a 911 call from an anonymous source.
The children's father John Kohler has died from injuries sustained in the assault, girlfriend Ronda Blankenship (right) is still hospitalized
Officer Marty Eberhart said that he believed to motive to be robbery but would not reveal further details but that authorities had leads to who was behind the slayings.
The children’s mother, Leiha Carpenter, lives in town.
Tim Terry and Michelle Olei, who live
next door, told ohio.com: 'I had my video game going. I didn’t hear
anything. I think it was something personal.'
The scene of the home invasion where two teens were shot and killed in Barberton, Ohio
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Pam and Cheryl flipped their Studebaker into a flooded ditch in 1971, drowned and lay undiscovered for more than 40 YEARS, investigators announce
- Three candidates for Fire Board meet with community; Three withdraw, citing dirty politics
- Flower girl, 4, who took her first steps - thanks to a harness attached to her dad
- 'This is the worst mass murder in our history': Police describe horrific stabbing as son of Inspector is charged with murder of five students at house party
- Wild shootout in hallways of Philadelphia hotel Roosevelt Inn
- 'Clerical error' allowed convicted Cornealious 'Mike' Anderson to walk free
- Inventor spends millions on RV to take his four year old around the world
- National Signing Day
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- 'Dog boy', the 'living doll' and elephants balanced on tiny tin cans: The cruel realities of the Victorian circus
- Donald Rumsfeld sends IRS letter every year as he has 'no idea' if tax returns are accurate
- Jessa Duggar on double date with boyfriend's parents: 'awkward' [VIDEO]
- Facebook to the rescue! Blind Jack Russell Terrier returned to Kansas family thanks to post
- Lawmakers discuss govt. role in reproductive decisions
- 'Perhaps there are some unconventional ways to lure me away from my company (besides stock options): The incredibly sexist email a man headhunted by female CEO sent, hinting he'd only join her company in exchange for sexual favors
- Conservative Christian politician Vance McAllister caught kissing staffer at party
- Boy punched and kicked by girl 'bully' as NO ONE stepped in turns the tables and places her in a choke hold
- Baby boom in Colorado Springs; Black Forest Fire a theory
- Crowds greet William, Kate and baby Prince George as they arrive in Australia for ten day tour
- Chloe Campbell's distraught mother trapped in a 'living nightmare'
- Man 'walking awkwardly' busted at JFK Airport for smuggling 2 lbs of heroin worth $70K in his underwear
- Boy who dropped message in a bottle into Atlantic gets response 3 years later
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- Dutch teen is ARRESTED in Rotterdam after tweeting 'joke' bomb threat to American Airlines
- Two killed filming zombie film's 'explosive airplane finale' after engine stalls and plane nose dives
- Pope Francis warns Christians Satan is trying to tempt you
- Scientists develop 'Star Trek' scanner that can detect cancer, HIV and other killer diseases in minutes
- Microsoft honors the placid landscape that is the Windows XP default computer background as it says goodbye to XP support after 13 years
- 'Pull up your pants or be proud to be a f@%': Southern store owner posts sign with a homophobic slur to deter customers from wearing baggy pants
- Baby has extra limbs removed after being born with four hands and four feet in Chinese hospital
- Aurora Police investigating double stabbing involving roommates
- Photos of tattooed seniors show how ink endures time
- Depressed panda is given a plasma TV screen in a bid to cheer her up
- Death of day-old baby found in teen mom's shopping bag at Victoria's Secret is ruled a homicide month's after grim discovery
- MH370 pilot upset over wife moving out and in 'no state of mind to be flying' says friend
- Achoo! Snow melting from the polar vortex will
- Michigan man arrested in Frisco motel homicide case
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- 'Hey you good-looking guy, how is your life?' Teacher posts letters to students 20 years after they wrote to themselves as high school freshmen
- 'Tetrad' alignment of Mars, Earth and sun could mean end of days is approaching
- The U.S. Navy's most futuristic ship Just Christened Its Most Futuristic Ship Ever
- SMILE! Diver taking pictures of life underwater gets photobombed by a shark
- At least four dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry accident
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Restaurant of the Week: Guard and Grace
- How can Chanel charge £2,100 for a bag a child can make for £7?
- Jury: Pueblo County woman guilty of animal cruelty