Abused Utah horse making miracle recovery after being frozen to the ground
- One-year-old horse Elsa found hours from death with infected eye in Utah on Thursday
- A passerby noticed Elsa and her malnourished mother, Anna, were suffering
- The animals were rescued and are recovering at Dust Devil Ranch Sanctuary for Horses near Cedar City
- The horses were named after characters from the Disney movie 'Frozen'
- The Enoch City owner has received a citation for two counts of animal cruelty
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 11:41 EST, 8 January 2014 | UPDATED: 11:41 EST, 8 January 2014
A young horse found frozen to the ground in a patch of mud and her starving mother are making a miracle recovery after being rescued last week.
The one-year-old horse, Elsa, was hours from death when she was pried from the frigid floor in an Enoch City yard on Thursday, in what veterinarians have described as one of Utah's worst cases of animal neglect.
The yearling was suffering from hypothermia with sores on the side of her face and an eye infection from prolonged contact with the frozen ground.
Horrific: Elsa, a one-year-old horse, was found emaciated and frozen to the ground in a Enoch City, Utah corral on Thursday
'This is absolutely one of the worst cases in my career,' Enoch City animal control officer Chris Johnson told KUTV.com.
'When I got there she was laying in the mud. She had been starved. She had no strength from lack of nutrition.
'(The ground) was completely frozen. When we rolled her over you could see the indent was still there and the ice and ground wasn't moving.'
The filly and her mother, Anna, were rescued from their corral after a concerned passerby saw the dangerously thin horses and called emergency services.
Heartbreaking: Volunteers have taken turns looking after Elsa, including Joe Kertiss (pictured)
Volunteers at the Dust Devil Ranch Sanctuary for Horses: Mel Bryant fashioned a sling to help move emaciated Elsa (left), while volunteer Joe Kertiss comforts the struggling filly (right)
Helpers: Volunteers have worked around the clock to nurse little Elsa back to health and even help her to her feet
Recovering: Elsa was so weak she needed to be propped upright and swaddled in blankets at the sanctuary
The abused creatures were treated with antibiotics and warm fluids before being rushed to the Dust Devil Ranch Sanctuary for Horses, south of Cedar City.
Sanctuary founder Ginger Grimes said a 'body imprint where you can see every hair strand' remains where Elsa lay for 'quite some time'.
Grimes and other volunteers at the
charity have worked around the clock to nurse the horses back to health. The horses had been starved for so long, they had no strength.
Grimes said Elsa was only given a 20 percent chance of survival, but that has increased to 80 percent. But she said she could lose her sight in the infected eye.
'I really see a lot of improvement,' Grimes said. 'I'm exhausted but I'm excited.'
Starving: Anna, Elsa's mother, was found malnourished on Thursday
On the mend: Anna, the mother, is recovering well after she was found starving in her Utah corral
Grimes said both horses - named after the characters in the Disney movie 'Frozen' - are improving daily.
still have to lift Elsa’s head to get her into a sitting position to
drink, but she is growing stronger and is able to stand. While most
yearlings usually weigh about 800 pounds, Elsa is only about 400 pounds.
'Once (Elsa) was up, she didn’t want to lay down,' Grimes told The Salt Lake Tribune. 'We brought her mom in to see her, and they were rubbing each others’ noses.'
Underweight: Elsa weighs just 400 pounds, half the normal weight of other horses her age
Tender moment: Ginger Grimes snuggles with Elsa (right) at Dust Devil Ranch Sanctuary
Grimes said Anna is recovering well.
Meanwhile, the horses' owner, an Enoch City man, has been issued with a citation for two counts of animal cruelty, a class 'B' misdemeanor, according KUTV.com.
'Very unfortunate situation,' Enoch Police Chief Jackson Ames said.
Follow Anna and Elsa's progress at the Dust Devil Ranch Sanctuary for Horses Facebook page.
Gorgeous: Elsa almost looks peaceful as she lays beneath a heat lamp, on a bed of straw, swaddled in blankets for warmth
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Anderson Cooper will NOT inherit any of his mother's Vanderbilt millions when she dies
- Slideshow: Photographs related to the investigation into Ashley Fallis’ death
- 'Perhaps there are some unconventional ways to lure me away from my company (besides stock options): The incredibly sexist email a man headhunted by female CEO sent, hinting he'd only join her company in exchange for sexual favors
- Search for Austrian teens Samra Kesinovic and Sabina Selimovic 'in Syria fighting for Islamic rebels'
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Prince George meets a bilby
- Investigation into suicide of mother, 28, reopened after family believe her police officer husband shot her dead before covering up crime
- Man, 24, pays the $974 remainder of his student loans in 500 POUNDS of pennies
- Adam Pearson hopes to beat prejudice after Under The Skin
- Llama found dead; group boasts about kill on Facebook
- Incredible before and after shots show the devastation caused by the Washington landslide that has left at least 14 dead as it is revealed geologists warned of the dangers back in 1999
- Pueblo West teen killed in crash
- Teacher who killed himself after surviving South Korean ferry disaster left note
- Miranda Kerr poses nude for GQ, says 'never say never' about dating women
- Veteran says service dog saved him from himself
- Family's anguish as young mom's body is found in industrial site two days after she vanished following party
- Catholic school teacher facing jail after having affair with student she took out of class to have sexual contact with
- Coroner confirms two drivers killed in Littleton crash
- Former cop shoots dead his wife in front of their two young children
- Alcohol considered factor in fatal crash involving teens
- Radio station giving away thousands of free prom dresses
- Rats feast on croissants and climb up curtains at Manhattan Dunkin' Donuts in video that's enough to turn you off breakfast
- Painkillers linked to higher risk of stroke: Alert over prescription medicines used by millions
- 'Our father and brothers are culprits in this tragedy': Saudi princesses who say they are kept locked in palace without food or water make contact with the outside world
- Miss America asks school to reconsider their suspension of a high school senior who asked her to prom
- Young funeral director defends blog poking fun at death with crude jokes because 'it sheds light on an issue that is cast in the shadows'
- Auto-motorcycle crash closes Highway 2 in Commerce City
- Putin's' secret army. . . hellbent on war
- Woman, 31, accused of blackmailing 18-year-old roommate into prostitution by drugging her and taking explicit photographs
- Teen, 18, caught on home surveillance looming over baby boy in crib as parents slept facing burglary charges
- Two charged in accidental death of motorcyclist who ran into rope and chain
- Record crowds of 80,000 descend upon Denver to mark historic 4/20 celebration of marijuana becoming legal in Colorado (even though it's against the law to smoke in public)
- FBI rescue kidnap victim Frank Arthur Janssen in Atlanta
- Human skeleton found inside pickup truck in Texas lake solves Helen Holladay case
- Chelsea Clinton announces she’s pregnant
- One lump or two? How any drink can be given that extra kick now that powdered alcohol could become a reality by the end of the year
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- The (very) disunited states of Europe: How the continent would look divided by coffee drinking, love of potatoes, beer and weather
- Sweden introduces a six-hour working day with full pay
- Samsung saw Steve Jobs's death as business opportunity, emails reveal
- Companies help women return to work
- Eeek! Houston Astros prospect took a 90mph baseball to the cheek and then took a frightening selfie from the hospital to show everyone
- Officials: FBI agent cleared in Florida shooting
- Aurora police arrest 2, confiscate 12,000 packets of spice
- BBC1's Monkey Planet shows remarkable primates building a fire
- Family of Ashley Fallis demanding murder charges against victim’s husband
- Frank Herfort captures post-Soviet projects constructed since the fall of Communism
- School rallies to find bone marrow match for 10-year-old cancer patient
- Hobie Alter honored with traditional Hawaiian paddle-out
Beijing hotel workers already 'fed up' with Obama entourage in 3400-square-foot, $8,350-per-night suite inconveniencing 'pretty much everyone' -- and the first lady's mother is 'barking at the staff' (0)