Abused Utah horse making miracle recovery after being frozen to the ground
- One-year-old horse Elsa found hours from death with infected eye in Utah on Thursday
- A passerby noticed Elsa and her malnourished mother, Anna, were suffering
- The animals were rescued and are recovering at Dust Devil Ranch Sanctuary for Horses near Cedar City
- The horses were named after characters from the Disney movie 'Frozen'
- The Enoch City owner has received a citation for two counts of animal cruelty
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 11:41 EST, 8 January 2014 | UPDATED: 11:41 EST, 8 January 2014
A young horse found frozen to the ground in a patch of mud and her starving mother are making a miracle recovery after being rescued last week.
The one-year-old horse, Elsa, was hours from death when she was pried from the frigid floor in an Enoch City yard on Thursday, in what veterinarians have described as one of Utah's worst cases of animal neglect.
The yearling was suffering from hypothermia with sores on the side of her face and an eye infection from prolonged contact with the frozen ground.
Horrific: Elsa, a one-year-old horse, was found emaciated and frozen to the ground in a Enoch City, Utah corral on Thursday
'This is absolutely one of the worst cases in my career,' Enoch City animal control officer Chris Johnson told KUTV.com.
'When I got there she was laying in the mud. She had been starved. She had no strength from lack of nutrition.
'(The ground) was completely frozen. When we rolled her over you could see the indent was still there and the ice and ground wasn't moving.'
The filly and her mother, Anna, were rescued from their corral after a concerned passerby saw the dangerously thin horses and called emergency services.
Heartbreaking: Volunteers have taken turns looking after Elsa, including Joe Kertiss (pictured)
Volunteers at the Dust Devil Ranch Sanctuary for Horses: Mel Bryant fashioned a sling to help move emaciated Elsa (left), while volunteer Joe Kertiss comforts the struggling filly (right)
Helpers: Volunteers have worked around the clock to nurse little Elsa back to health and even help her to her feet
Recovering: Elsa was so weak she needed to be propped upright and swaddled in blankets at the sanctuary
The abused creatures were treated with antibiotics and warm fluids before being rushed to the Dust Devil Ranch Sanctuary for Horses, south of Cedar City.
Sanctuary founder Ginger Grimes said a 'body imprint where you can see every hair strand' remains where Elsa lay for 'quite some time'.
Grimes and other volunteers at the
charity have worked around the clock to nurse the horses back to health. The horses had been starved for so long, they had no strength.
Grimes said Elsa was only given a 20 percent chance of survival, but that has increased to 80 percent. But she said she could lose her sight in the infected eye.
'I really see a lot of improvement,' Grimes said. 'I'm exhausted but I'm excited.'
Starving: Anna, Elsa's mother, was found malnourished on Thursday
On the mend: Anna, the mother, is recovering well after she was found starving in her Utah corral
Grimes said both horses - named after the characters in the Disney movie 'Frozen' - are improving daily.
still have to lift Elsa’s head to get her into a sitting position to
drink, but she is growing stronger and is able to stand. While most
yearlings usually weigh about 800 pounds, Elsa is only about 400 pounds.
'Once (Elsa) was up, she didn’t want to lay down,' Grimes told The Salt Lake Tribune. 'We brought her mom in to see her, and they were rubbing each others’ noses.'
Underweight: Elsa weighs just 400 pounds, half the normal weight of other horses her age
Tender moment: Ginger Grimes snuggles with Elsa (right) at Dust Devil Ranch Sanctuary
Grimes said Anna is recovering well.
Meanwhile, the horses' owner, an Enoch City man, has been issued with a citation for two counts of animal cruelty, a class 'B' misdemeanor, according KUTV.com.
'Very unfortunate situation,' Enoch Police Chief Jackson Ames said.
Follow Anna and Elsa's progress at the Dust Devil Ranch Sanctuary for Horses Facebook page.
Gorgeous: Elsa almost looks peaceful as she lays beneath a heat lamp, on a bed of straw, swaddled in blankets for warmth
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Chinatown's American Dream: Cramped migrant workers sleep cramped together in tiny $9-a-night cubicles, while families share meals in a space the size of a cuboard
- Sharny Kieser encourages women to have a bikini shoot after losing pregnancy weight
- Woman finally brings home three adopted daughters after SEVEN YEAR wait
- Al Roker's bicep needed to be reattached after rotator cuff surgery
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- Search for Austrian teens Samra Kesinovic and Sabina Selimovic 'in Syria fighting for Islamic rebels'
- Hawaii stowaway boy's friends speak out after his 'miracle' flight as it emerges that he spent six hours undetected by security cameras and guards at San Jose airport
- Dr. Zyad Younan refuses to pay $135k strip club bill because he claims he was 'drugged'
- Five people rescued via helicopter from rocky island off the Queensland coast after being stranded for nine hours
- Three candidates for Fire Board meet with community; Three withdraw, citing dirty politics
- Guess they didn't want to call her Cthulhu: Parents who let the INTERNET decide their baby's name opt for No. 2 choice Amelia
- Chicago eye surgeon 'recorded patients with hidden video camera in ladies restroom'
- Daughter charged with cruelty after police found her 87-year-old mother 'living in dirt and feces with bedsores infected to the bone'
- Bachelorette contestant left comatose in critical condition after paragliding accident
- A gentleman is always on time and makes love on his elbows... but doesn't tweet or own a cat: Country Life reveal the ten dos and don'ts of the 'Gentlemanly Commandments'
- Coroner confirms two drivers killed in Littleton crash
- Dane Eagle who sponsored drug testing bill busted for DUI at a Taco Bell just miles from state Capitol
- ‘Kitchen Nightmares’ visits Old Neighborhood restaurant in Arvada
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Amber Heard's ex-boyfriend claims she is expecting... as fiance Johnny Depp admits he is 'broody' and wants '100 kids'
- KFC introduces chicken corsage just in time for prom
- Tattoos and talons: Inside the world of Japan's Bosozoku gang girls where the women are just as bad ass as the men
- Slideshow: Photographs related to the investigation into Ashley Fallis’ death
- Peaches Geldof's body released to family to allow for funeral arrangements
- Inmate dies at Fremont County Detention Center
- Officer has face mauled by police K9 when he tried to take selfie with it
- 'Manipulative' Miami man, 42, GUILTY of brutally murdering his wife with a tire iron just four days after their wedding so he could claim her $1 million life insurance
- 'It's ridiculous!': Two cars fall into hidden Detroit sinkhole within moments of each other
- America's East Coast once caught between colliding tectonic plates
- Iggy Azalea and beau Nick Young fall victim to naked-photo hoax
- Up to five of the 13 sherpas killed by Mount Everest avalanche may have been employed by the NBC and Discovery Channel expedition ahead of network's summit and televised live jump
- Llama found dead; group boasts about kill on Facebook
- Wife of man killed in swan attack sues lake owner for failing to consider danger
- Hickenlooper responds to Christie's pot comments
- Outrage as a pair of ex-convict squatters take over Florida home of Afghan war veteran and refuse to leave
- Mother who 'lifted 6-month-old baby over her head by the feet before smashing her into a dresser' pleads not guilty to murder
- Accused murderer wants 'murder' neck tattoo removed before his trial
- Stephen Colbert visits Late Show for first time since it was announced he would take over for David Letterman
- U.S. to step up efforts to hunt down Ugandan warlord Joseph Kony
- 'Avengers 2': First glimpses of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver from 'Age of Ultron'
- Bitter Facebook vengeance of a woman scorned: Tycoon sues ex-wife for astonishing online attack that cost him his new lover
- Bill criminalizing cyberbullying killed over free speech concerns
- He came in, whispered in her ear and shot her Five-year-old tells cops how her father shot dead mother as she slept alongside her as he is discovered on the run in El Salvador
- BLM backs down in dispute over Nevada rancher’s cattle
- No running water for 2 weeks for residents of mountain town
- Calling all millionaire history buffs! George Washington family 400-acre country estate to go up for auction
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Mystery of a town wiped off the map by Google: How the fake Agloe, New York, conceived as a 'copyright trap' by cartographers turned into a real hamlet before vanishing forever
- Puerto Rican musician Cheo Feliciano dead at 78