90-year-old cargo ship serving as holiday home hanging over cliff on Lake Erie
- Ship originally transported iron and coal for Ford motor company
- Interior designed by Henry Ford and Thomas Edison was a passenger
- Was decommissioned in 1981 after nearly 50 years of service
- Ship's forecastle removed and hung over Lake Erie as a holiday home
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 08:33 EST, 6 January 2014 | UPDATED: 08:49 EST, 6 January 2014
During its time in service this cargo ship played host to illustrious guests such as Henry Ford and Thomas Edison.
From the time it was built in 1924, the boat was also used to transport coal and iron ore across the American lakes.
After being decommissioned in 1981 it was left to rust for four years before the front part of the ship was removed, sailed to Lake Erie, and perched on top of an 18 foot cliff to serve as a holiday home.
The Benson Ford was originally a cargo ship for the Ford motor company, but has been converted into a holiday home hanging above Lake Erie
Looking over the bow, which dangles 18 foot above the Lake, it still looks as if the boat is sailing
The ship still contains wood paneled state rooms, dining room and lounge designed by Henry Ford
The boat was used by Ford himself to travel across the American Lakes and Thomas Edison also took a ride
The four-deck, 7,000 square foot getaway is made out of the ship's forecastle and includes the walnut paneled state rooms, dining room, galley, and passenger lounge designed by Henry Ford for his own personal use while on board.
The ship-house was originally owned by Frank J Sullivan, but after trying and failing to turn it into a hotel in 1992, Sullivan eventually auctioned the building to father and son Jerry and Bryan Kaspar, who still like to relax there while taking time off work.
However it has been modernised with a garage, a game room, bar, state-of-the-art kitchen and four bathrooms.
Don't look down: Tourists may need a head for heights if they take a tour out onto the bow of the boat
The four-storey, 7,000sq ft home has kept the historic interior and updated it with some modern technology
Along with the original features the ship's forecastle now has a garage, kitchen, bar and games room
New life: After being decommissioned in 1981 the ship was left to rust but in 1986 the forecastle was removed (left) before being sailed to Lake Erie and perched on top of a cliff (right) where it remains to this day
Tourists are also able to take guided walks around the vessel which hangs 18 feet above the surface of Lake Erie.
Bryan Kaspar said: 'Everyone that sees it is intrigued to look inside and I think everyone that looks inside is amazed at the woodwork throughout the ship.
'Also from the bow it almost feels like you are on the water because of its close proximity to Lake Erie.
Frank J Sullivan, who first converted the vessel, tried to turn it into a hotel in 1992 but was denied permission
Sullivan sold it to father and son Jerry and Bryan Kaspar in 1999 who now allow guided tours around the house
The impressive getaway includes five bedrooms, four bathrooms, a captain's office and living room with panoramic views out across the Lake
'I love the deck on the fourth floor - It's a great place to enjoy a cocktail overlooking the lake and the nearby cliffs and watching the sunset is amazing from there.'
Videographer Nick James, who conducts tours of the hotel, said: 'The most incredible part is standing at the helm and the way the boat hangs over the cliff it actually feels like you are out on the open water.
'I love the history that is still all around in the Benson Ford. In the parlour you can just imagine Thomas Edison and Henry Ford sitting smoking their cigars.
'When you're there it feels as though you step back in time and they could appear at any moment.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
A HIGH school cheerleader has filed a lawsuit demanding her parents pay financial support after she was kicked out of home. Rachel Canning, who has ...
- Missing American bacehlorette party turns up in California as storm-ravaged Cabo San Lucas braces for ANOTHER hurricane
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Mother-of-five battling deadly skin cancer diagnosis gives birth to baby boy named Luke seven weeks early
- Doctor who wasn't supposed to be in the room for Joan Rivers' throat operation appeared in Celine Dion documentary
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Waitress writes scathing post calling out MARRIED hedge-fund manager who felt her up...as accused 57-year-old vows revenge
- Downton Abbey stars weigh in on Scottish independence at series five premiere...and their views are just as mixed as the polls
- Still not safe to go in the water! Not one but two great whites spotted off the coast of Cape Cod
- Teenage mother and partner 'murdered man from Craigslist'
- Meredith Vieira reveals why she remained in an abusive relationship
- John Kerry slams Code Pink protest group during Senate hearing
- 'He's in complete shock': Man who lived in the basement of house of horrors where three infants were found dead says he's stunned to discover he's the father of Erika Murray's four surviving children
- Apple iPhone 6 release sees queues at stores get longer as fans line up for handsets
- Fisherman says porpoise helped him survive while adrift for 30 hours
- ''What the f***?' 'Swearing' Barbie doll shocks mother as it blurts out
- Finding Nemo comes true! Researchers find young clownfish travel upto 400km when they are just a week
- Ma'ake Kemoeatu retires from Baltimore Ravens to give his kidney to younger brother
- Clemson suspends plans to require every student to reveal the number of sexual partners they have been with after public uproar
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Terms of Service
- How pets make us MORE stressed: More than half of cat and dog owners lose sleep because their animals wake them up early, survey finds
- High school senior Mary Kate Smith is homecoming queen AND star of football team
- Low-calorie sweeteners found in diet drinks RAISE the risk of obesity and diabetes by affecting how the body processes sugar
- Yet ANOTHER NFL player arrested on domestic violence charges: Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer 'threw a shoe at his toddler son and assaulted woman'
- Nigeria college shooting leaves at least 15 dead
- Being religious does NOT make you better behaved, researchers claims - but it will make you feel more guilty
- Suspended MLB player becomes a hero as first on the scene at roadside accident
- Hundreds of police swoop on terror suspects in Sydney and Brisbane in dawn raids amid fears extremists may have been 'planning beheadings or a mass shooting'
- Ben Affleck admits to counting cards at casino
- Baseball player releases shocking first photos of injuries caused by fastball to the face
- Severe respiratory illness confirmed in 12 states
- Teens survive Ford Bronco crash after one lights driver's ARMPIT hair on fire
- Hunt for mystery man seen with his arm around missing UVA student after police release new surveillance footage showing teen being followed as she stumbled through deserted mall
- Is this the most dangerous holiday snap ever? Tourist gets out of his car to pose for photograph with lion and lioness at Kenyan nature reserve
- Texan mother's anger after neighbor calls Child Protection Services because she let son play outside
- Special needs teen, 15, with 'suicidal thoughts' is missing after running away from her school that waited an HOUR after she disappeared to report her missing to police or her mother
- In it to win it! Flutist at world competition performs despite having a BUTTERFLY perch on top of her face
- Missing men in Roswell wake up after car accident in field of donkeys with no memory
- Is this the day Britain dies? Millions head to voting booths across Scotland as 170,000 Don't Knows hold key to separation
- eBay hackers' attack alert as bidders redirected to malicious site