90-year-old cargo ship serving as holiday home hanging over cliff on Lake Erie
- Ship originally transported iron and coal for Ford motor company
- Interior designed by Henry Ford and Thomas Edison was a passenger
- Was decommissioned in 1981 after nearly 50 years of service
- Ship's forecastle removed and hung over Lake Erie as a holiday home
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 08:33 EST, 6 January 2014 | UPDATED: 08:49 EST, 6 January 2014
During its time in service this cargo ship played host to illustrious guests such as Henry Ford and Thomas Edison.
From the time it was built in 1924, the boat was also used to transport coal and iron ore across the American lakes.
After being decommissioned in 1981 it was left to rust for four years before the front part of the ship was removed, sailed to Lake Erie, and perched on top of an 18 foot cliff to serve as a holiday home.
The Benson Ford was originally a cargo ship for the Ford motor company, but has been converted into a holiday home hanging above Lake Erie
Looking over the bow, which dangles 18 foot above the Lake, it still looks as if the boat is sailing
The ship still contains wood paneled state rooms, dining room and lounge designed by Henry Ford
The boat was used by Ford himself to travel across the American Lakes and Thomas Edison also took a ride
The four-deck, 7,000 square foot getaway is made out of the ship's forecastle and includes the walnut paneled state rooms, dining room, galley, and passenger lounge designed by Henry Ford for his own personal use while on board.
The ship-house was originally owned by Frank J Sullivan, but after trying and failing to turn it into a hotel in 1992, Sullivan eventually auctioned the building to father and son Jerry and Bryan Kaspar, who still like to relax there while taking time off work.
However it has been modernised with a garage, a game room, bar, state-of-the-art kitchen and four bathrooms.
Don't look down: Tourists may need a head for heights if they take a tour out onto the bow of the boat
The four-storey, 7,000sq ft home has kept the historic interior and updated it with some modern technology
Along with the original features the ship's forecastle now has a garage, kitchen, bar and games room
New life: After being decommissioned in 1981 the ship was left to rust but in 1986 the forecastle was removed (left) before being sailed to Lake Erie and perched on top of a cliff (right) where it remains to this day
Tourists are also able to take guided walks around the vessel which hangs 18 feet above the surface of Lake Erie.
Bryan Kaspar said: 'Everyone that sees it is intrigued to look inside and I think everyone that looks inside is amazed at the woodwork throughout the ship.
'Also from the bow it almost feels like you are on the water because of its close proximity to Lake Erie.
Frank J Sullivan, who first converted the vessel, tried to turn it into a hotel in 1992 but was denied permission
Sullivan sold it to father and son Jerry and Bryan Kaspar in 1999 who now allow guided tours around the house
The impressive getaway includes five bedrooms, four bathrooms, a captain's office and living room with panoramic views out across the Lake
'I love the deck on the fourth floor - It's a great place to enjoy a cocktail overlooking the lake and the nearby cliffs and watching the sunset is amazing from there.'
Videographer Nick James, who conducts tours of the hotel, said: 'The most incredible part is standing at the helm and the way the boat hangs over the cliff it actually feels like you are out on the open water.
'I love the history that is still all around in the Benson Ford. In the parlour you can just imagine Thomas Edison and Henry Ford sitting smoking their cigars.
'When you're there it feels as though you step back in time and they could appear at any moment.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Malala Yousafzai receives Philadelphia Liberty Medal: Teenage Nobel laureate joins Nelson Mandela, Thurgood Marshall and Jimmy Carter in winning prestigious honor
- Girl, 16, with a heart condition collapses and dies while walking through haunted house
- The ghosts of U576 found 30 miles off the Carolina coast, 72 years after doomed submarine sank when captain launched a suicidal attack against merchant vessel
- Radicalized Canadian Muslim convert runs down two young soldiers in his car before being shot dead by police
- Bill and Hillary ignore Monica Lewinsky's public re-emergence as they continue supporting Democratic candidates on the campaign trail in Louisiana and California
- CDC issues new guidelines for treating Ebola patients that ALL skin must be covered, after two nurses of patient zero contracted the virus
- Woman who got stuck in chimney had been dumped by homeowner she met online and had already been caught on his roof once before
- Anni Dewani's cousin was told that Anni and Shrien were only 'acting'
- New details of alleged rape by lawyer Sanford Rubenstein after Al Sharpton's birthday bash - as accuser's lawyers demand he be charged
- Man charged with killing Saudi college student
- Former Navy SEAL Kristin Beck, who retired to become female, speaks at conference of transgender soldiers to discuss U.S. military's ban
- Woman's home is foreclosed and sold at auction after failing to pay a $95 tax bill - but none of the letters ever reached her... except the one telling her she has to move out by Thanksgiving!
- Search area shifts and Pennsylvania school district boosts security after sighting of survivalist gunman who killed state trooper
- Protesters disrupt Metropolitan Opera premiere of controversial production dramatizing the murder of a Jewish American by Palestinian terrorists
- Teacher, 24, 'admitted to having sex with male cheerleader after being confronted with naked photo she had sent him'
- Oscar Pistorius to finally learn sentence for killing Reeva Steenkamp
- Oscar de la Renta, fashion designer, dead aged 82
- Dr Eben Alexander has lost his scepticism about the after-life
- Western aid 'is funding ISIS fighters' because jihadists are demanding bribes
- Qantas' new business class seats allow you to fully recline and SLEEP
- Teen mother charged with attempted capital murder 'for trying to suffocate her son'
- Carol Highsmith sheds 50lbs to attend her 50th high school reunion
- Isabelle Stapleton's mother Kelli describes morning she tried to kill them both
- Marla Sokoloff pregnant with her second child
- Tori Spelling hospitalized for possible pneumonia
- Matthew Morrison shares wedding photo with wife Renee Puente
- Banksy's version of Girl With A Pearl Earring appears on Bristol wall
- Train cars converted into luxury suites at Crowne Plaza hotel in Indianapolis
- 'Zombie on the loose' in Cheshire sparks police probe but it turned out to be photoshoot
- Jonathan Bennett eliminated from 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Celebrities react to Oscar de la Renta's death
- Roman gladiators ate vegetarian diet and drank 'sports drink' of plant ashes and vinegar
- Revealed, Oregon's First Lady took older ex-lover (and pot-farm partner) on romantic Siberian trip just weeks after she was paid $5,000 for 'green card wedding' to Ethiopian immigrant
- One in three now ignore home telephone when it rings
- Duchess of Cambridge is all smiles despite looking a little under the weather in first public appearance since announcing her second pregnancy
- More Siding Spring images shooting past Mars captured by orbiter