90-year-old cargo ship serving as holiday home hanging over cliff on Lake Erie
- Ship originally transported iron and coal for Ford motor company
- Interior designed by Henry Ford and Thomas Edison was a passenger
- Was decommissioned in 1981 after nearly 50 years of service
- Ship's forecastle removed and hung over Lake Erie as a holiday home
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 08:33 EST, 6 January 2014 | UPDATED: 08:49 EST, 6 January 2014
During its time in service this cargo ship played host to illustrious guests such as Henry Ford and Thomas Edison.
From the time it was built in 1924, the boat was also used to transport coal and iron ore across the American lakes.
After being decommissioned in 1981 it was left to rust for four years before the front part of the ship was removed, sailed to Lake Erie, and perched on top of an 18 foot cliff to serve as a holiday home.
The Benson Ford was originally a cargo ship for the Ford motor company, but has been converted into a holiday home hanging above Lake Erie
Looking over the bow, which dangles 18 foot above the Lake, it still looks as if the boat is sailing
The ship still contains wood paneled state rooms, dining room and lounge designed by Henry Ford
The boat was used by Ford himself to travel across the American Lakes and Thomas Edison also took a ride
The four-deck, 7,000 square foot getaway is made out of the ship's forecastle and includes the walnut paneled state rooms, dining room, galley, and passenger lounge designed by Henry Ford for his own personal use while on board.
The ship-house was originally owned by Frank J Sullivan, but after trying and failing to turn it into a hotel in 1992, Sullivan eventually auctioned the building to father and son Jerry and Bryan Kaspar, who still like to relax there while taking time off work.
However it has been modernised with a garage, a game room, bar, state-of-the-art kitchen and four bathrooms.
Don't look down: Tourists may need a head for heights if they take a tour out onto the bow of the boat
The four-storey, 7,000sq ft home has kept the historic interior and updated it with some modern technology
Along with the original features the ship's forecastle now has a garage, kitchen, bar and games room
New life: After being decommissioned in 1981 the ship was left to rust but in 1986 the forecastle was removed (left) before being sailed to Lake Erie and perched on top of a cliff (right) where it remains to this day
Tourists are also able to take guided walks around the vessel which hangs 18 feet above the surface of Lake Erie.
Bryan Kaspar said: 'Everyone that sees it is intrigued to look inside and I think everyone that looks inside is amazed at the woodwork throughout the ship.
'Also from the bow it almost feels like you are on the water because of its close proximity to Lake Erie.
Frank J Sullivan, who first converted the vessel, tried to turn it into a hotel in 1992 but was denied permission
Sullivan sold it to father and son Jerry and Bryan Kaspar in 1999 who now allow guided tours around the house
The impressive getaway includes five bedrooms, four bathrooms, a captain's office and living room with panoramic views out across the Lake
'I love the deck on the fourth floor - It's a great place to enjoy a cocktail overlooking the lake and the nearby cliffs and watching the sunset is amazing from there.'
Videographer Nick James, who conducts tours of the hotel, said: 'The most incredible part is standing at the helm and the way the boat hangs over the cliff it actually feels like you are out on the open water.
'I love the history that is still all around in the Benson Ford. In the parlour you can just imagine Thomas Edison and Henry Ford sitting smoking their cigars.
'When you're there it feels as though you step back in time and they could appear at any moment.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
Denver Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan suffered a knee injury during training camp on Tuesday that will force him to sit out for up to two ...
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Wealthy New York socialites who were cleared of abusing their nanny are stuck on luxurious Italy vacation after border officials refuse to let them back on US soil
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Tent city sprouts up in shadow of downtown Detroit as area bounces back with restaurants and shops doing brisk business
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Handcuffed and locked up: Muslim convert wife of Sydney siege gunman back behind bars after court hears she is 'capable of doing criminal acts' on behalf of her dead fanatic husband while awaiting trial for the murder of his FIRST wife
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Sony WILL release The Interview: Execs now change their mind after initially bowing to hackers' demands and pulling Kim Jong-Un assassination film
- Parents' anger after Bosnian schoolgirls aged 13 and 14 fall pregnant on class trip
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Terms of Service
- Veteran TV actor Booth Colman, famous for Planet Of The Apes and Star Trek, dies aged 91
- 'Hero' California teen stops wannabe kidnapper from taking four-year-old sister
- Tara Palmer-Tomkinson 'arrested by armed police at Heathrow after throwing tantrum because she was refused access to first-class lounge'
- Chris Christie calls on Obama to extradite Tupac Shakur's aunt from Cuba 40 years after she executed a cop, escaped jail and won asylum from Fidel Castro
- 'We don't believe in vengeance, we just forgive': Family of slain NYPD cop FORGIVES cold-blooded assassin saying 'he is in the hands of God now'
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Not bad for a starter home! Matt Damon sells seven-bedroom Mediterranean-style mansion where he started his family for $15.4million
- Prince George visits winter wonderland attaction with Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
- James Woods calls Al Sharpton a 'race pimp' and says the 'disgusting pig' is responsible for NYPD cop murders
- Facebook accused of bowing to Putin: Site shuts down page supporting president's rival 'because of pressure from the Kremlin'
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Revealed: Americans drink more in the winter over Valentine's Day, Superbowl Sunday and St Patrick's Day weekend than any other time of year
- Argentine zoo may be forced to release Sandra the orangutan
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Was Brooklyn double cop killer carrying out the work of the Black Guerrilla Family prison gang? Police probe links to group who promised to avenge the deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown
- Welcome to the Snaketivity: Satanists and Christians do battle with competing nativity scenes on the statehouse lawn in Michigan
- By George! Look who will be rocking into 2015: My future kingdom for a horse (well, a £4,650 zebra). What prince is getting from Santa
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- 'Get on the floor!': Passer-by captures the chaos in the Brooklyn subway station after police enter in pursuit of cop killer
- The ethnic maps of America revealed by researchers
- Pictured: The tragic children stabbed to death in their family home... as neighbours reveal mother's erratic behaviour hours before bodies were found
- Protesters greet Obama on first day of Hawaiian vacation as president goes golfing during Brooklyn cop killing
- Brothers accused of glassing and punching a restaurant owner after urinating on his personal shrine in Bali walk free
- As footage emerges of sheep being violently mistreated is there hidden cruelty behind your winter woolly
- How British spies have lost track of our most dangerous criminals after Snowden revealed GCHQ's tactics
- Not bad for a starter home! Matt Damon sells seven-bedroom Miami mansion where he started his family for $15.4million
- Haunting new photos of Michigan's abandoned Silverdome reveal how one of the country's most famous stadiums is now just an empty shell left to rot
- Singer who claimed he was forced to quit job over 'hostile' female colleague loses case
- Hands up who else thinks The Interview was Western filth? Kim Jong-Un mobbed by huge crowds days after FBI confirm his spies were responsible for Sony hack
- Families of Michael Brown and Eric Garner condemn shootings of NYPD officers
- Autopsy report of mayor husband shot dead by his 'battered' wife reveals she suffered 'over 20 years of physical abuse'
- Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer rejected Gwyneth Paltrow for food blog
- 'Hey n*****, stop killing innocent people': Al Sharpton plays racist voicemail for the press as he reveals he's received multiple threats since Brooklyn cop slayings
- (OFFICIAL) -U.S. firm finds malware targeting visitors to Afghan govt websites
- £300m bid to find new cancer cures by mapping our DNA: Unlocking genetic code could lead to faster and more accurate diagnosis
Handcuffed and locked up: Muslim convert wife of Sydney siege gunman back behind bars after court hears she is 'capable of doing criminal acts' on behalf of her dead fanatic husband while awaiting trial for the murder of his FIRST wife (0)