Mother Marissa Brown defends breastfeeding Facebook photo
By Sadie Whitelocks
PUBLISHED: 14:51 EST, 3 January 2014 | UPDATED: 15:35 EST, 3 January 2014
A mother has defended a photograph of her breastfeeding her baby daughter after a Facebook user reported it for violating the rules on pornography and nudity.
Marissa Brown, 26, from Torrance, Los Angeles, told CBS News that she was not forced to remove the image - as the social network's own policy respects the rights to share 'content of personal importance' - however, the whole situation left her outraged.
In an act of protest she swiftly swapped her profile picture for one showing her sticking her tongue out at the camera with her child latched to her breast.
Source of controversy: Marissa Brown, 26, posted this image of her breastfeeding her young daughter to Facebook but a user later reported it for violating the rules on nudity and pornography
Again she received a notification informing her that it had been flagged as 'offensive'. Dismayed, she posted a long message to her Facebook page defending her actions.
isn't a trend. It is life. It is normal. It is natural. It is not
shameful. It is not embarrassing. It is protected by LAW!' she wrote.
Before becoming a mother, Ms Brown said she had no intention of breastfeeding because she didn't want to destroy her 'hawt [sic]' cleavage.
But then after having her daughter, Jilly, 'everything changed.'
Not backing down: In an act of protest she swiftly swapped her profile picture for one of her showing her mid-feed facing the camera with her tongue sticking out
When it comes to the subject of nudity and pornography, Facebook states: 'We aspire to respect people's right to share content of personal importance [like] family photos of a child breastfeeding'
'Whether it be mental or emotional or hormonal or spiritual, I made the hard choice to breastfeed,' she continued.
So far she has been feeding her child for 19 months.
At first she said she was 'embarrassed' about the process because it was something she wasn't exposed to until she was a young adult.
'I was nursing her. And she fell asleep, and it was naptime, and we were close and cuddling, and it was sweet'
But now Ms Brown clearly feels comfortable about sharing the 'natural' experience with the rest of the world.
Indeed, the blonde, who runs a fashion accessories e-commerce business from home, says hearing her daughter say 'boobie' is more 'far more fulfilling than any whistle or honk or comment' she received in the past.
In the first photograph she uploaded to Facebook she appears lying down on the couch with her daughter mid-feed.
Recalling the moment, Ms Brown said: 'I was nursing her. And she fell asleep, and it was naptime, and we were close and cuddling, and it was sweet.'
Changed woman: Before becoming a mother, Ms Brown said she had no intention of breastfeeding because she didn't want to destroy her 'hawt [sic]' cleavage
New experience: Ms Brown has been feeding her daughter for 19 months
While the scene upset some of her Facebook followers, the majority have supported her openness.
One wrote in response: 'It kills me, all the problems in this world and people are so worried about breastfeeding, who loves who and who don't love who and all kinda [sic] of other crazy stuff!
'Breastfeeding isn't a trend. It is life. It is normal. It is natural. It is not shameful. It is not embarrassing'
'It's a shame a mother is getting harassed for nurturing and loving her baby. Children are dying from mothers not nurturing her child!'
When it comes to the subject of nudity and pornography Facebook's Community Standards page states: 'Facebook has a strict policy against the sharing of pornographic content and any explicitly sexual content where a minor is involved. We also impose limitations on the display of nudity.
'We aspire to respect people’s right to share content of personal importance, whether those are photos of a sculpture like Michelangelo's David or family photos of a child breastfeeding.'
Ms Brown says that she doesn’t have any plans to remove the breastfeeding images from her Facebook page, despite the controversy they have caused.
'As moms we’re just trying to do the best things that we can for our children and we don’t need negative input.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
ISIS admitted Tuesday it released a video of a beheading before it was supposed toThe video - which allegedly shows the killing of Steven Sotloff ...
- Officials warn ELEVEN missing airplanes in Libya could be used to carry out terrorist attack on 9/11 anniversary
- 'I want to look normal': Florida Army vet who's facial hair was burned off by a roadside bomb sees himself with a beard for the first time in 10 years after transplant
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Nordic diet volunteers lost three times as much weight as others
- 'The colour of his skin is of no concern - Jonah being a healthy and happy baby is what matters': White child is born to black mother - beating odds of a million-to-one
- California high school drops controversial snarling 'Arab' mascot and belly-dancing genie sidekick - but keeps the nickname
- Iraqi TV's cartoon satire on terror, ISIS, and jihadis
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Louisiana TV host shot dead by son-in-law who was also believed to be his lover in alleged murder-suicide attempt
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- The curse of having wonky eyebrows: Uneven brows get worse as you age - now there's a cunning way to straighten them
- The citizen agents of 'Project Washtub'
- Boston has the worst drivers in America, according to Allstate America's Best Drivers Report
- Barack Obama urged to take decisive action against ISIS
- McDonald's has been forced to open its first ever turquoise coloured restaurant... but it's not the fast food giant's only unusual store
- Hong Kong pro-democracy activists pepper-sprayed as they disrupt Communist official's speech
- One of a pair of Batman Batboats made for 1966 movie up for £40,000 at auction
- Mother accused of killing her severely disabled daughter, eight, could still inherit $1 million of her trust fund even if she is convicted
- Did iCloud's 'Find My iPhone' function help hackers steal celebrities' 'nude' photos? Flaw may have exposed hundreds of images
- Anti-government protesters storm Pakistan state television station and 'beat journalists'
- Hacked nude celebrity photos had been on the internet black market for a WEEK - and there could be even more to come
- Ansa app deletes your texts remotely from FRIEND'S phones
- Father stabs 3 pupils to death at Chinese school after it refused to let daughter return
- Hand of God meets right hand man of God Pope welcomes Maradonna and football greats from across the world to Vatican for inter-faith match for peace
- Parents given sleeping room at Chinese university so they can see their children
- 'It's time to take back America': Barack Obama and Joe Biden use Labor Day to fire up Democrats ahead of November's elections
- You CAN train your brain to like healthy foods: Researchers reveal diet that can kick junk food addiction
- Will Saudi Arabia MOVE Prophet Muhammad's remains?
- Indonesian student six years jail for calling city 'stupid' social media
- Staten Island teen dead under mysterious circumstances when he collapses during football practice
- Carrie Underwood unveils she's pregnant with first child
- Russia threatens NATO as it warns it is updating its military doctrine
- American Airlines plane makes emergency landing in LA after windscreen CRACKS mid-air
- How to delete your photos from iCloud: The simple steps that will stop your images getting into the wrong hands
- Warrior the First World War 'horse the Germans couldn't kill' is posthumously awarded top medal for animal gallantry
- ISIS turned northern Iraq into 'blood-soaked killing fields', says Amnesty International
- Young father who lost lips and all four limbs to a flesh-eating bug endures two days of surgery to rebuild his mouth
- Disney nixed Stan Lee's original 'Guardians of the Galaxy' for being too vulgar
- Malaysia pays its last respects to the pilots of shot down MH17 as they are repatriated and buried in military-style ceremonies
- Apple iCloud password reset could have let hackers in with ONLY an email address
- Parents of nine-year-old girl who accidentally shot gun instructor dead with an Uzi didn't realize he was hit because she was complaining recoil hurt her shoulder
- Kristin Chenoweth debuts long, brunette hair
- Michael Sam is completely cut from St Louis Rams
- A Colorado man was 'trying to hide his gun' when he accidentally shot himself during a traffic stop
- Mom Kelli Stapleton who tried to kill her autistic daughter has pleaded guilty
- Squirrel whispering Penn State student turns her pet Sneezy into viral internet celebrity by coaxing the wild critter into dressing up for photo shoots
- Rebecca Minkoff debuts bracelet that lights up when you receive texts and calls
- Friends and relatives pay tribute to murdered Steven Sotloff
- Terms of Service