Mother Marissa Brown defends breastfeeding Facebook photo
By Sadie Whitelocks
PUBLISHED: 14:51 EST, 3 January 2014 | UPDATED: 15:35 EST, 3 January 2014
A mother has defended a photograph of her breastfeeding her baby daughter after a Facebook user reported it for violating the rules on pornography and nudity.
Marissa Brown, 26, from Torrance, Los Angeles, told CBS News that she was not forced to remove the image - as the social network's own policy respects the rights to share 'content of personal importance' - however, the whole situation left her outraged.
In an act of protest she swiftly swapped her profile picture for one showing her sticking her tongue out at the camera with her child latched to her breast.
Source of controversy: Marissa Brown, 26, posted this image of her breastfeeding her young daughter to Facebook but a user later reported it for violating the rules on nudity and pornography
Again she received a notification informing her that it had been flagged as 'offensive'. Dismayed, she posted a long message to her Facebook page defending her actions.
isn't a trend. It is life. It is normal. It is natural. It is not
shameful. It is not embarrassing. It is protected by LAW!' she wrote.
Before becoming a mother, Ms Brown said she had no intention of breastfeeding because she didn't want to destroy her 'hawt [sic]' cleavage.
But then after having her daughter, Jilly, 'everything changed.'
Not backing down: In an act of protest she swiftly swapped her profile picture for one of her showing her mid-feed facing the camera with her tongue sticking out
When it comes to the subject of nudity and pornography, Facebook states: 'We aspire to respect people's right to share content of personal importance [like] family photos of a child breastfeeding'
'Whether it be mental or emotional or hormonal or spiritual, I made the hard choice to breastfeed,' she continued.
So far she has been feeding her child for 19 months.
At first she said she was 'embarrassed' about the process because it was something she wasn't exposed to until she was a young adult.
'I was nursing her. And she fell asleep, and it was naptime, and we were close and cuddling, and it was sweet'
But now Ms Brown clearly feels comfortable about sharing the 'natural' experience with the rest of the world.
Indeed, the blonde, who runs a fashion accessories e-commerce business from home, says hearing her daughter say 'boobie' is more 'far more fulfilling than any whistle or honk or comment' she received in the past.
In the first photograph she uploaded to Facebook she appears lying down on the couch with her daughter mid-feed.
Recalling the moment, Ms Brown said: 'I was nursing her. And she fell asleep, and it was naptime, and we were close and cuddling, and it was sweet.'
Changed woman: Before becoming a mother, Ms Brown said she had no intention of breastfeeding because she didn't want to destroy her 'hawt [sic]' cleavage
New experience: Ms Brown has been feeding her daughter for 19 months
While the scene upset some of her Facebook followers, the majority have supported her openness.
One wrote in response: 'It kills me, all the problems in this world and people are so worried about breastfeeding, who loves who and who don't love who and all kinda [sic] of other crazy stuff!
'Breastfeeding isn't a trend. It is life. It is normal. It is natural. It is not shameful. It is not embarrassing'
'It's a shame a mother is getting harassed for nurturing and loving her baby. Children are dying from mothers not nurturing her child!'
When it comes to the subject of nudity and pornography Facebook's Community Standards page states: 'Facebook has a strict policy against the sharing of pornographic content and any explicitly sexual content where a minor is involved. We also impose limitations on the display of nudity.
'We aspire to respect people’s right to share content of personal importance, whether those are photos of a sculpture like Michelangelo's David or family photos of a child breastfeeding.'
Ms Brown says that she doesn’t have any plans to remove the breastfeeding images from her Facebook page, despite the controversy they have caused.
'As moms we’re just trying to do the best things that we can for our children and we don’t need negative input.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Forget Street View, explore the world in SPACE view: Interactive map plots every image taken by astronauts on board the ISS
Dave MacLean of the Centre of Geographic Sciences in Nova Scotia has made an interactive space image mapThe map compiles images from tweets sent by ...
- Chris Lollie was Tasered by cops for refusing to give his name while waiting for his kids after school
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Australian man who worked to free kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls tells how they snatched by ANOTHER gang straight after
- Man who killed son now charged in 1st wife's death
- Cee Lo Green pleads no contest in drug case
- Lego solves 23-year-old cold case murder
- Ultra-Orthodox Jews who moved from Canada to Guatamalan village to find 'religious freedom' are force to leave because the locals don't like them
- Missing student found dead in a car wreck after vanishing in Idaho wilderness for a week
- Jealous hippo breaks out of her zoo enclosure after her 'plunge pool' is shut down and is found looking longingly into her neighbour's
- 'Yay lol, someone getting poz that day': Chilling text of landscape architect related to Cesar Chavez accused of intentionally spreading HIv to at least TWO DOZEN men and then bragging about it to friends
- Veteran police officer Lieutenant Ray Albers who was filmed threatening to kill Ferguson protesters resigns
- High-tech Florida Polytechnic University opens BOOKLESS library...but students can access over 135,000 ebooks on electronic devices
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts collapses with 'double pneumonia' as the WWE legend fights for his life in Las Vegas hospital
- Brandi Brandt jailed as part of drugs ring which hid cocaine in plane toilets
- Teenager who loved fast cars died after he crashes Lamborghini into guardrail during test drive with family friend
- When the flames gave way: Burning Man takes on an otherworldly feel as it's enveloped in a dust cloud... but nothing can keep revellers from their desert party
- American kids taste test Vegemite and their reactions are priceless
- 'Arrogant' cop Sam Carter who shot beloved community elk Big Boy should go to prison
- Missing Ashya King was taken by his parents from Southampton General Hospital
- I was raped at Oxford University - and police pressured me into dropping charges, says student
- Hilarious ad for 100-year-old Tassie house seeking 'younger gentleman'
- NYPD faces SECOND investigation after 45-year-old man's death is ruled a homicide...and linked to 'protective body wrap' performed by officers
- Everything really is bigger in Texas! Meet the 99-pack of beer that needs at least two people to get it out of the store
- Retired sheriff's deputy with ALS charged with murdering his wife and sister-in-law just days after they and his friends raised $23,000 towards his care with the ice bucket challenge
- Joan Rivers' daughter Melissa is an 'emotional wreck' as her mother, 81, remains in serious condition after being placed in a medically-induced coma
- Vicki Gunvalson explains what gay looks like to her
- Slice of history! Piece of Princess Diana's 33-year-old wedding cake goes for $1,375
- Rise in pests over next 30 years 'could cause vast potato and bread shortages - and force us to change our diet'
- Chelsea Clinton quits her 'special correspondent' role at NBC
- Public relations agent for Yoko Ono is suing celebrity chef Mario Batali's eatery Eataly for $10million because 'bouncers shouted homophobic slurs and hurled him through a glass window'
- LeAnn Rimes jokes she lost virginity by raping boyfriend
- Man is guilty of murder after his dogs kill woman
- Too scared to get the big chop? FEMAIL tests out the most popular haircut of 2014 - and reveals the secrets to making it work for you
- ISIS in Mexico? Feds DENY watchdog group's claim that the terror group is operating in Juarez and plans 'imminent' car-bomb attacks on US targets
- Stephen Lee -Star Trek: The Next Generation star dies at age 58
- Why brash can be best: Overconfident people 'can fool others into thinking they are smarter than they really are'
- Marisa Tomei, Hugh Grant go to school in 'Rewrite' trailer
- Heart-stopping moment a brazen car thief steals an SUV with 10-month-old baby girl on the back seat as distressed father chases them down the street screaming