Mother Marissa Brown defends breastfeeding Facebook photo
By Sadie Whitelocks
PUBLISHED: 14:51 EST, 3 January 2014 | UPDATED: 15:35 EST, 3 January 2014
A mother has defended a photograph of her breastfeeding her baby daughter after a Facebook user reported it for violating the rules on pornography and nudity.
Marissa Brown, 26, from Torrance, Los Angeles, told CBS News that she was not forced to remove the image - as the social network's own policy respects the rights to share 'content of personal importance' - however, the whole situation left her outraged.
In an act of protest she swiftly swapped her profile picture for one showing her sticking her tongue out at the camera with her child latched to her breast.
Source of controversy: Marissa Brown, 26, posted this image of her breastfeeding her young daughter to Facebook but a user later reported it for violating the rules on nudity and pornography
Again she received a notification informing her that it had been flagged as 'offensive'. Dismayed, she posted a long message to her Facebook page defending her actions.
isn't a trend. It is life. It is normal. It is natural. It is not
shameful. It is not embarrassing. It is protected by LAW!' she wrote.
Before becoming a mother, Ms Brown said she had no intention of breastfeeding because she didn't want to destroy her 'hawt [sic]' cleavage.
But then after having her daughter, Jilly, 'everything changed.'
Not backing down: In an act of protest she swiftly swapped her profile picture for one of her showing her mid-feed facing the camera with her tongue sticking out
When it comes to the subject of nudity and pornography, Facebook states: 'We aspire to respect people's right to share content of personal importance [like] family photos of a child breastfeeding'
'Whether it be mental or emotional or hormonal or spiritual, I made the hard choice to breastfeed,' she continued.
So far she has been feeding her child for 19 months.
At first she said she was 'embarrassed' about the process because it was something she wasn't exposed to until she was a young adult.
'I was nursing her. And she fell asleep, and it was naptime, and we were close and cuddling, and it was sweet'
But now Ms Brown clearly feels comfortable about sharing the 'natural' experience with the rest of the world.
Indeed, the blonde, who runs a fashion accessories e-commerce business from home, says hearing her daughter say 'boobie' is more 'far more fulfilling than any whistle or honk or comment' she received in the past.
In the first photograph she uploaded to Facebook she appears lying down on the couch with her daughter mid-feed.
Recalling the moment, Ms Brown said: 'I was nursing her. And she fell asleep, and it was naptime, and we were close and cuddling, and it was sweet.'
Changed woman: Before becoming a mother, Ms Brown said she had no intention of breastfeeding because she didn't want to destroy her 'hawt [sic]' cleavage
New experience: Ms Brown has been feeding her daughter for 19 months
While the scene upset some of her Facebook followers, the majority have supported her openness.
One wrote in response: 'It kills me, all the problems in this world and people are so worried about breastfeeding, who loves who and who don't love who and all kinda [sic] of other crazy stuff!
'Breastfeeding isn't a trend. It is life. It is normal. It is natural. It is not shameful. It is not embarrassing'
'It's a shame a mother is getting harassed for nurturing and loving her baby. Children are dying from mothers not nurturing her child!'
When it comes to the subject of nudity and pornography Facebook's Community Standards page states: 'Facebook has a strict policy against the sharing of pornographic content and any explicitly sexual content where a minor is involved. We also impose limitations on the display of nudity.
'We aspire to respect people’s right to share content of personal importance, whether those are photos of a sculpture like Michelangelo's David or family photos of a child breastfeeding.'
Ms Brown says that she doesn’t have any plans to remove the breastfeeding images from her Facebook page, despite the controversy they have caused.
'As moms we’re just trying to do the best things that we can for our children and we don’t need negative input.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
The Aurora Police Department is asking for help from the public in locating two people that stole a little girl's iPod. Last Friday, the 5-year-old victim ...
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Kim Kardashian's name is dragged into iCloud scandal as nude pictures surface online
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Polly Bergen, Emmy Award-winning actress, dies
- Woman accused of breaking into Tennessee elementary school cafeteria in her underwear and wielding baseball bat while screaming
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Cancer-stricken mom's wish for fairytale wedding photoshoot comes true - even though there's no groom waiting and it's her three sons filling in as 'the man in her life'
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Soldier sent home from Afghanistan after filming foul-mouthed protest rap and posting it online
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Person of interest' in hunt for missing Hannah Graham is a nursing assistant claims he did NOT drive off with her in his car...as ONE THOUSAND volunteers search for her
- £11k electric Radinn 'surfboard' lets you glide along the sea - and even rivers
- Stubborn Salmond had to jump: DONALD TRUMP on how the SNP leader did the best thing by resigning as First Minister
- Where did the green 'alien eggs' come from? Scientists baffled by UFOs (Unidentified Floating Objects) that washed up on a Sydney beach
- Empty morgues, abandoned wards and corridors overrun with ivy: Inside the deserted Maryland tuberculosis sanatorium where children with the deadly infection were left isolated... and some say it's haunted
- Fed-up Texas pastor holds grandmother at gunpoint who snatched packages off his porch...and police say it wasn't her first time
- Authorities in Central California are on the hunt for five inmates who escaped from jail - and they're all considered armed and dangerous
- 'Leaked by some vultures': Gabrielle Union SLAMS hackers and admits she is the latest victim in new wave of nude celebrity photos posted online
- Man hauled off airliner by armed police after passenger noticed him scribbling the word 'terrorism' in his journal
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Tiny humanoid robots are now advanced enough to FLY A PLANE, claim researchers, who think their five-inch machine could even meet Government safety guidelines
- Found: The REAL Hitler diaries which astonishingly reveal how the Fuhrer's British-born nephew William Hitler went to Berlin to cash in on his connections - only to end up fighting the Nazis
- Terms of Service
- Biden defends Democratic Party chair fighting for her job after comparing GOP governor to a wife beater
- Darius Wlodarski queues for 44 hours to buy iPhone 6 to win back wife
- Last pictures of Brit backpackers David Miller and Hannah Witheridge
- Beverley Hills mansion with 16-car garage, vodka bar, home cinema and its own candy wall goes on sale for staggering $85MILLION
- Tragedy as fire captain who got a huge electric shock after taking part in the ALS ice bucket challenge dies from his injuries
- I thought I could beat anything. Then my doctor said: 'You have skin cancer...'
- Greg Mortenson who lied about being kidnapped by Taliban returns as figurehead
- Jennifer Lopez unveils new 'Booty' clip ft. Iggy Azalea
- Prince Harry reportedly back together with Cressida Bonas
- MySpace Tom Andersonis now a landscape photographer
- Standing seats, fat tax and no life jackets: The seven predictions for the future of plane travel that look set to become a reality
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Person of interest' in hunt for missing Hannah Graham is a nursing assistant who admits he bought her drinks but claims he did NOT drive off with her in his car
- Throat specialist allegedly involved in fatal Joan Rivers surgery is 'devastated' by the tragic incident and 'will cooperate with investigators to clear her name'
- Ex-Utah teacher to trial on student sex charges
- Senate agrees to bill including $10million information reward in deaths of James Foley and Steven Sutloff...as Obama approves training Syrian rebels fighting ISIS
- Kendra Wilkinson confronts Hank Baskett about cheating scandal
- Angelina Jolie effect caused surge in women going for breast cancer checks
- Francois Hollande vows to rise above his 'ordeals and pain' as he finally deals with ex-partner's book about him
- Laverne Cox to unveil new documentary 'The T Word' in October
- Natalie Dormer reveals her travel essentials