Mother Marissa Brown defends breastfeeding Facebook photo
By Sadie Whitelocks
PUBLISHED: 14:51 EST, 3 January 2014 | UPDATED: 15:35 EST, 3 January 2014
A mother has defended a photograph of her breastfeeding her baby daughter after a Facebook user reported it for violating the rules on pornography and nudity.
Marissa Brown, 26, from Torrance, Los Angeles, told CBS News that she was not forced to remove the image - as the social network's own policy respects the rights to share 'content of personal importance' - however, the whole situation left her outraged.
In an act of protest she swiftly swapped her profile picture for one showing her sticking her tongue out at the camera with her child latched to her breast.
Source of controversy: Marissa Brown, 26, posted this image of her breastfeeding her young daughter to Facebook but a user later reported it for violating the rules on nudity and pornography
Again she received a notification informing her that it had been flagged as 'offensive'. Dismayed, she posted a long message to her Facebook page defending her actions.
isn't a trend. It is life. It is normal. It is natural. It is not
shameful. It is not embarrassing. It is protected by LAW!' she wrote.
Before becoming a mother, Ms Brown said she had no intention of breastfeeding because she didn't want to destroy her 'hawt [sic]' cleavage.
But then after having her daughter, Jilly, 'everything changed.'
Not backing down: In an act of protest she swiftly swapped her profile picture for one of her showing her mid-feed facing the camera with her tongue sticking out
When it comes to the subject of nudity and pornography, Facebook states: 'We aspire to respect people's right to share content of personal importance [like] family photos of a child breastfeeding'
'Whether it be mental or emotional or hormonal or spiritual, I made the hard choice to breastfeed,' she continued.
So far she has been feeding her child for 19 months.
At first she said she was 'embarrassed' about the process because it was something she wasn't exposed to until she was a young adult.
'I was nursing her. And she fell asleep, and it was naptime, and we were close and cuddling, and it was sweet'
But now Ms Brown clearly feels comfortable about sharing the 'natural' experience with the rest of the world.
Indeed, the blonde, who runs a fashion accessories e-commerce business from home, says hearing her daughter say 'boobie' is more 'far more fulfilling than any whistle or honk or comment' she received in the past.
In the first photograph she uploaded to Facebook she appears lying down on the couch with her daughter mid-feed.
Recalling the moment, Ms Brown said: 'I was nursing her. And she fell asleep, and it was naptime, and we were close and cuddling, and it was sweet.'
Changed woman: Before becoming a mother, Ms Brown said she had no intention of breastfeeding because she didn't want to destroy her 'hawt [sic]' cleavage
New experience: Ms Brown has been feeding her daughter for 19 months
While the scene upset some of her Facebook followers, the majority have supported her openness.
One wrote in response: 'It kills me, all the problems in this world and people are so worried about breastfeeding, who loves who and who don't love who and all kinda [sic] of other crazy stuff!
'Breastfeeding isn't a trend. It is life. It is normal. It is natural. It is not shameful. It is not embarrassing'
'It's a shame a mother is getting harassed for nurturing and loving her baby. Children are dying from mothers not nurturing her child!'
When it comes to the subject of nudity and pornography Facebook's Community Standards page states: 'Facebook has a strict policy against the sharing of pornographic content and any explicitly sexual content where a minor is involved. We also impose limitations on the display of nudity.
'We aspire to respect people’s right to share content of personal importance, whether those are photos of a sculpture like Michelangelo's David or family photos of a child breastfeeding.'
Ms Brown says that she doesn’t have any plans to remove the breastfeeding images from her Facebook page, despite the controversy they have caused.
'As moms we’re just trying to do the best things that we can for our children and we don’t need negative input.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- 'Scottish aristocrats' who had luxury lakeside home charged with fraud
- Scientists develop 'Star Trek' scanner that can detect cancer, HIV and other killer diseases in minutes
- Miss Teen Arizona wins 2 months after losing parents in a plane crash
- Rascal Flatts admits to lip-syncing at at ACM Awards
- Flower girl, 4, who took her first steps - thanks to a harness attached to her dad
- Bodies of teen girl on Spring break and her 33-year-old aunt pulled from Lake Erie after they went missing with two men on fishing trip
- Fire board members host meeting to talk about budget
- Russian millionaire Pavel Ushanov on the run after beating girlfriend
- Adolf Hitler postcard sent during World War 1 about dentist trip
- Deb’s Mommy blog: Getting ready for our new baby
- Duchess of Cambridge Kate wears blue coat dress at wreath-laying ceremony in New Zealand
- VIDEO: Feds and militia members face off over Nevada rancher’s cattle
- Fake kidnapping of boy from a park for video stunt sparks outrage
- Daniel Radcliffe says 'Harry Potter' was an 'amazing springboard' for his career
- A mother's grief: Heartbreaking moment a hippo finds her dead baby and guards it, howling in sorrow
- Footballers end boycott of coach wrongly accused of child porn charges as they announce they will train under him
- Susannah Birch: My mother cut my throat when I was just two but I survived
- Police: Utah mom admitted to killing her 6 babies
- Powerful wind gusts cause damage, fan fire fears
- Victoria Beckham gets cozy with David on her 40th birthday
- 'I can do anything if I put my mind to it. It's just different than how I used to': Teen who had fingers amputated after passing out in subzero temperatures following a night of drinking begins her recovery
- Cristal Richardson gets life for castration and fatal stabbing
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- FedEx truck was already up in flames BEFORE it crossed over median strip and crashed into bus in fiery California crash that killed 10
- Twitter user in trouble after joking threat to American Airlines
- Pope Francis warns Christians Satan is trying to tempt you
- Microsoft honors the placid landscape that is the Windows XP default computer background as it says goodbye to XP support after 13 years
- 'Perhaps there are some unconventional ways to lure me away from my company (besides stock options): The incredibly sexist email a man headhunted by female CEO sent, hinting he'd only join her company in exchange for sexual favors
- Police: Utah woman killed 7 infants, stored bodies in garage
- Duke of Cambridge gets a little too close to cliff at beauty spot in Australia after meeting victims of bushfires with Kate
- Highway shooter who targeted at least 12 random motorists during month-long crime spree in Kansas City finally in custody
- Behind the scenes at WGN America’s ‘Salem’ ahead of Sunday premiere
- Pictured: The 12 American girls convinced they are competing to marry Prince Harry in reality show (which uses a lookalike instead)
- Norma Elizalde shot dead by stray bullet in Santa Paula, California, home
- Tattoos and talons: Inside the world of Japan's Bosozoku gang girls where the women are just as bad ass as the men
- Boulder man beaten with baseball bat during robbery dies, DA says
- Tommy Chong to join pot shop in Pueblo County
- Chinese teenagers urged to smile more by biting down on CHOPSTICKS
- Fast acting firefighters use new device to save dogs from a fire
- Lesbian police chief Crystal Moore is fired by new mayor Earl Bullard who was caught saying he'd rather have an alcoholic near his child than a gay couple
- Did this legal marijuana-laced candy make man hallucinate and shoot his wife?
- Obama warns Russia may still face sanctions over Ukraine as he cautiously welcomes deal to resolve crisis
- Outrage at Long Island Twitter account that posts pictures of drunk local teens
- Caught on camera: Crazed man 'high on PCP' climbs on top of SUV with a woman and child inside and strips NAKED before being yanked off the roof by police
- Former Springs employee critical of Streets Division
- Stunning victory for Oxford in Boat Race as its rowers easily beat Cambridge, watched by tens of thousands on banks of Thames
- Chinese mourners hiring professional actors to wail loudly as traditional ritual dictates
- The mugshots that reveal the sordid history of a small American town