Mother Marissa Brown defends breastfeeding Facebook photo
By Sadie Whitelocks
PUBLISHED: 14:51 EST, 3 January 2014 | UPDATED: 15:35 EST, 3 January 2014
A mother has defended a photograph of her breastfeeding her baby daughter after a Facebook user reported it for violating the rules on pornography and nudity.
Marissa Brown, 26, from Torrance, Los Angeles, told CBS News that she was not forced to remove the image - as the social network's own policy respects the rights to share 'content of personal importance' - however, the whole situation left her outraged.
In an act of protest she swiftly swapped her profile picture for one showing her sticking her tongue out at the camera with her child latched to her breast.
Source of controversy: Marissa Brown, 26, posted this image of her breastfeeding her young daughter to Facebook but a user later reported it for violating the rules on nudity and pornography
Again she received a notification informing her that it had been flagged as 'offensive'. Dismayed, she posted a long message to her Facebook page defending her actions.
isn't a trend. It is life. It is normal. It is natural. It is not
shameful. It is not embarrassing. It is protected by LAW!' she wrote.
Before becoming a mother, Ms Brown said she had no intention of breastfeeding because she didn't want to destroy her 'hawt [sic]' cleavage.
But then after having her daughter, Jilly, 'everything changed.'
Not backing down: In an act of protest she swiftly swapped her profile picture for one of her showing her mid-feed facing the camera with her tongue sticking out
When it comes to the subject of nudity and pornography, Facebook states: 'We aspire to respect people's right to share content of personal importance [like] family photos of a child breastfeeding'
'Whether it be mental or emotional or hormonal or spiritual, I made the hard choice to breastfeed,' she continued.
So far she has been feeding her child for 19 months.
At first she said she was 'embarrassed' about the process because it was something she wasn't exposed to until she was a young adult.
'I was nursing her. And she fell asleep, and it was naptime, and we were close and cuddling, and it was sweet'
But now Ms Brown clearly feels comfortable about sharing the 'natural' experience with the rest of the world.
Indeed, the blonde, who runs a fashion accessories e-commerce business from home, says hearing her daughter say 'boobie' is more 'far more fulfilling than any whistle or honk or comment' she received in the past.
In the first photograph she uploaded to Facebook she appears lying down on the couch with her daughter mid-feed.
Recalling the moment, Ms Brown said: 'I was nursing her. And she fell asleep, and it was naptime, and we were close and cuddling, and it was sweet.'
Changed woman: Before becoming a mother, Ms Brown said she had no intention of breastfeeding because she didn't want to destroy her 'hawt [sic]' cleavage
New experience: Ms Brown has been feeding her daughter for 19 months
While the scene upset some of her Facebook followers, the majority have supported her openness.
One wrote in response: 'It kills me, all the problems in this world and people are so worried about breastfeeding, who loves who and who don't love who and all kinda [sic] of other crazy stuff!
'Breastfeeding isn't a trend. It is life. It is normal. It is natural. It is not shameful. It is not embarrassing'
'It's a shame a mother is getting harassed for nurturing and loving her baby. Children are dying from mothers not nurturing her child!'
When it comes to the subject of nudity and pornography Facebook's Community Standards page states: 'Facebook has a strict policy against the sharing of pornographic content and any explicitly sexual content where a minor is involved. We also impose limitations on the display of nudity.
'We aspire to respect people’s right to share content of personal importance, whether those are photos of a sculpture like Michelangelo's David or family photos of a child breastfeeding.'
Ms Brown says that she doesn’t have any plans to remove the breastfeeding images from her Facebook page, despite the controversy they have caused.
'As moms we’re just trying to do the best things that we can for our children and we don’t need negative input.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
Obama fundraiser describes his terrifying turbulence ordeal aboard American Airlines flight that sent five people to the hospital
Boeing 747-200 was flying from Seoul, South Korea to Dallas, TexasPlane was east of Japan when it turned around and diverted to TokyoFifteen passengers reportedly ...
- Jackie Chan's cameraman drowns in Hong Kong filming Skiptrace
- Cruise passengers warned to take 'quality condoms' on board as rate of STI's rises
- Portrait of a very modern Prince: Harry cuddles up to a group of orphans (and tries his hand at photography) during Lesotho visit
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Psychologist 'decapitated her abusive husband before scattering his remains across Mexico City'
- Maryland Maria draws YouTube audience of millions as her whispered voice induces mysterious physical sensation
- Celebrating curvy women and their beautiful booties: Photographers sensational tribute to models with relatable bodies
- Rosie O'Donnell on a RAMPAGE after Beverly Johnson demands one-on-one with Whoopi Goldberg
- How Sony execs cut Angelina Jolie out of group email exchange so they could attack her
- Ex-model Traci Vaillancourt went on run with cop killer boyfriend is released from prison
- Meteorologist Patrick Crawford shot as he left KCEN's studio
- American Rolando Sarraff Trujillo freed by Cuba helped unravel 'Cuban Five' case
- BlackBerrys last gasp? Firm launches $450 classic handset with keyboard in bid to keep customers from defecting to iPhone
- That's a different kind of water-skiing! Incredible pictures show pair of adventurers body board their way down Europe's largest glacier
- Producer says Denzel Washington won't make money for Sony because he is black in leaked emails - then claims the rest of the world 'racist'
- One dead and 11 injured as female driver ploughs into crowd leaving church Christmas concert in California
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Rikers Island guard found guilty of deliberately ignoring screaming mentally ill inmate as he lay dying after swallowing caustic soap
- Bearded 'Boston bomber' Dzhokhar Tsarnaev smiles as he appears in court wearing a gray sweater for pre-trial hearing
- Terrifying video footage emerges of turbulence that injured five on American Airlines flight over Japan
- Moment haggard-looking Stephen Collins admits to being flawed man and pedophile and how the church has saved him
- Holly Bobo suspects smirk in court as it's revealed prosecutors STILL haven't come up with evidence they killed her
- Malala Yousafzai's father says his 'heart is bleeding' over Peshawar school massacre
- Plus-Size Woman ask 21 magazine editors from around the world to fix her using Photoshop
- Republican politician says abortions should only be allowed if women have written permission from the father... except in cases of 'legitimate rape'
- Wife of KCEN's Patrick Crawford who was shot tells how quick-thinking saved him
- Bizarre footage emerges of man faking heart attack so his friend can steal a motorized power wheel Barbie car
- Electrician out of work for more than three years due to a string of injuries wins $1million from publishers clearing house
- Tori Johnson's father's reaction on hearing his son had been killed in the Sydney siege
- Andrea Catsimatidis files for divorce from Richard Nixon's grandson Christopher
- Assault rifle theme park 'Machine Gun America' to open in Orlando
- Inside the secretive world of Bureau 121: Is North Korea's state-sponsored cell of cyber warriors behind the Sony hack?
- Kai Kelly sentenced to 10 YEARS in prison for shooting his father
- 'America has lost its first cyberwar': Newt Gingrich joins Hollywood stars in attacking Sony decision to not distribute The Interview over terrorist threats
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- 'Stalker' cop, 32, 'breaks into ex-girlfriend's house, shoots her dead and wounds her daughter, 15, just hours after she was granted protection order'
- Maribel vs McDonald's: Single mother of two goes on strike against fast-food giant demanding $15 minimum wage and a union for employees
- Nick Jonas plays on 'Big' FAO Schwarz piano
- Teen buys 5 dollar thrift shop teddy bear for his sister but is mortified to find inside an urn full of someones ashes
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Randy Quaid and wife Evgenia suing to get their US passports back
- $10 million in stolen Los Angeles art recovered
- Releasing Cuban spies was a 'slap in the face' says families of Florida pilots shot down by Cuban MiGs
- Tainted feed kills 4 horses at Florida stable and another 18 are expected to die this week
- Markus Kaarma convicted of deliberate homicide of Diren Dede
- Kim Kardashian fan Jordan James Parke spent $150,000 on more than FIFTY cosmetic procedures to transform into idol
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K