Mother Marissa Brown defends breastfeeding Facebook photo
By Sadie Whitelocks
PUBLISHED: 14:51 EST, 3 January 2014 | UPDATED: 15:35 EST, 3 January 2014
A mother has defended a photograph of her breastfeeding her baby daughter after a Facebook user reported it for violating the rules on pornography and nudity.
Marissa Brown, 26, from Torrance, Los Angeles, told CBS News that she was not forced to remove the image - as the social network's own policy respects the rights to share 'content of personal importance' - however, the whole situation left her outraged.
In an act of protest she swiftly swapped her profile picture for one showing her sticking her tongue out at the camera with her child latched to her breast.
Source of controversy: Marissa Brown, 26, posted this image of her breastfeeding her young daughter to Facebook but a user later reported it for violating the rules on nudity and pornography
Again she received a notification informing her that it had been flagged as 'offensive'. Dismayed, she posted a long message to her Facebook page defending her actions.
isn't a trend. It is life. It is normal. It is natural. It is not
shameful. It is not embarrassing. It is protected by LAW!' she wrote.
Before becoming a mother, Ms Brown said she had no intention of breastfeeding because she didn't want to destroy her 'hawt [sic]' cleavage.
But then after having her daughter, Jilly, 'everything changed.'
Not backing down: In an act of protest she swiftly swapped her profile picture for one of her showing her mid-feed facing the camera with her tongue sticking out
When it comes to the subject of nudity and pornography, Facebook states: 'We aspire to respect people's right to share content of personal importance [like] family photos of a child breastfeeding'
'Whether it be mental or emotional or hormonal or spiritual, I made the hard choice to breastfeed,' she continued.
So far she has been feeding her child for 19 months.
At first she said she was 'embarrassed' about the process because it was something she wasn't exposed to until she was a young adult.
'I was nursing her. And she fell asleep, and it was naptime, and we were close and cuddling, and it was sweet'
But now Ms Brown clearly feels comfortable about sharing the 'natural' experience with the rest of the world.
Indeed, the blonde, who runs a fashion accessories e-commerce business from home, says hearing her daughter say 'boobie' is more 'far more fulfilling than any whistle or honk or comment' she received in the past.
In the first photograph she uploaded to Facebook she appears lying down on the couch with her daughter mid-feed.
Recalling the moment, Ms Brown said: 'I was nursing her. And she fell asleep, and it was naptime, and we were close and cuddling, and it was sweet.'
Changed woman: Before becoming a mother, Ms Brown said she had no intention of breastfeeding because she didn't want to destroy her 'hawt [sic]' cleavage
New experience: Ms Brown has been feeding her daughter for 19 months
While the scene upset some of her Facebook followers, the majority have supported her openness.
One wrote in response: 'It kills me, all the problems in this world and people are so worried about breastfeeding, who loves who and who don't love who and all kinda [sic] of other crazy stuff!
'Breastfeeding isn't a trend. It is life. It is normal. It is natural. It is not shameful. It is not embarrassing'
'It's a shame a mother is getting harassed for nurturing and loving her baby. Children are dying from mothers not nurturing her child!'
When it comes to the subject of nudity and pornography Facebook's Community Standards page states: 'Facebook has a strict policy against the sharing of pornographic content and any explicitly sexual content where a minor is involved. We also impose limitations on the display of nudity.
'We aspire to respect people’s right to share content of personal importance, whether those are photos of a sculpture like Michelangelo's David or family photos of a child breastfeeding.'
Ms Brown says that she doesn’t have any plans to remove the breastfeeding images from her Facebook page, despite the controversy they have caused.
'As moms we’re just trying to do the best things that we can for our children and we don’t need negative input.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Massive mayfly swarm that emerged along Mississippi was so huge it lit up weather radar, caused traffic collisions and blacked out the sun
- Hall of Fame pitcher Goose Gossage helps print money at Denver Mint
- Parents who lost three children on MH17 flight tell of agony
- Peaches Geldof found dead at home
- Scientists discover the new black: British researchers devise material so dark it looks like a black hole
- Expert describes effect of missile hit on MH17
- Mekayla Diehl claims 'That Miss USA bikini did NOT fit me well!'
- 'Basically, I was against all white people.' Hoops superstar Michael Jordan admitted he turned racist when a girl at school called him a 'n****r,' new book reveals
- Airbnb squatters refusing to leave apartment complain THEY'RE being harassed
- Toronto coder Lyndsay Kirkham live-tweets 'IBM executives sexist remarks'
- Meet the seven women of Bravo's 'Ladies of London' whose drinking, cat fighting, royal name dropping and even labor scenes are coming to TV
- Sheriff's office mystery account raises questions
- Two-legged stray dog gives birth to four puppies in China (and their legs are all in order!)
- Germany's WAGs invade pitch after World Cup win and carry on partying all night
- Tearful Leno says goodbye after 22 years as Obama and host of stars pay tribute on his final show
- Homeless woman who fell asleep in parking space dies after being run over by driver who didn't see her
- Igor Girkin says 'MH17 bodies aren't fresh' as he claims corpses had been 'dead for days'
- Goldman Sachs managing director Nicholas Valtz, 39, found dead after kiteboarding outing
- Philip Chism 'recorded video of rape and murder of his teacher Colleen Ritzer on his cell phone'
- Dad pranks children and drenches them with giant water balloon
- Miracle baby of Pan Am Flight 759 who survived when jetliner crashed into her house in 1982 speaks out after tragedy's 32nd anniversary
- Jimi Hendrix' former girlfriend slams upcoming biopic of the rock and roll star that includes scenes of brutal domestic violence as 'completely made up'
- Adios England: Agony and despair as Uruguay's 2-1 victory destroys virtually any hope of going through to the next stage of World Cup
- Planned Parenthood counselor 'intentionally misclassified rape by a teen sexual predator as consensual to avoid the hassle of reporting it'
- So poignant, lost children of Flight MH17: Smiling happily in family snapshots, some of the innocent victims of the tragedy
- Sudanese Meriam Ibrahim, facing execution for marrying Christian, gives birth in jail
- Family of boxer Magomed Abdusalamov sue for $100m
- Fraternity and sorority at McDaniel College spark outrage after organizing 'racist' 'CMT vs BET' party
- One Direction's luxury homes are a world away from the modest houses they grew up in
- Miss Colorado Teen Runner-Up Kristy Althaus 'stripped of title' after it emerges she starred in porn film
- MH17 eyewitness accounts emerge of the horror that unfolded at crash site
- Did Miguel Panduwinata predict the MH17 plane crash?
- Katie Cleary's husband Andrew Stern filed for divorce just weeks ago before killing himself at shooting range
- Science teacher's nude selfies sent to hundreds of people including students 'after his work email was hacked'
- El Paso County assessor faces new accusation
- The trail of death: Moment surface-to-air missile was fired at MH17, blowing plane apart in mid-air and killing 298 people
- 'My son saved his attacker's life': Father who pounded admitted child molester into a 'bloody puddle' claims son stopped him from stabbing admitted pedophile to death
- Cincinatti Bengals cheerleaders banned from wearing underwear on their lower half but require full support up top
- Despair in Miami: Heat fans mourn the loss of 'King James' to his 'home' in Cleveland by vandalizing mural featuring LeBron's face that took two years to create
- Hickenlooper concerned about relocating Central American refugees to Colorado
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Frank Lampard's drunken mockery after 9/11 still haunts him as he prepares for NYC transfer
- Philip Seymour Hoffman split from partner Mimi O'Donnell in troubled last months
- 'Narcissistic loony toon': What Hillary Clinton REALLY thought of Monica Lewinsky revealed in new secret papers - and she moaned about 'whiney women'
- 'Does every princess NEED a prince?' Hilarious parody of Disney's Frozen sees Elsa inject the film with 'girl power'
- Heavily pregnant teen was strangled to death and her boyfriend decapitated after they met a man from Craigslist for sex
- John Travolta can't stop former pilot bringing lawsuit so he can reveal secrets of his time working for the star, judge rules
- EXCLUSIVE: The jealous family of pregnant mother sentenced to death in Sudanese jail got her charged as part of a dastardly plan to STEAL her successful business claims her American husband's legal team
- Dino Guglielmelli jailed for offering 'hitman' $80k to murder wife
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Cornell Robinson, Devery Kelley accused of robbing pregnant woman in labor in Maryland
- Father needed hospital treatment for three inch gash in his head after being attacked by his neighbour's cat because it hated his Hugo Boss AFTERSHAVE
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Business student 'posed on online dating sites as a high-flying engineer and architect to dupe love-struck women from around the world out of £186,000'
- Children undergo traditional 'lucky haircuts' in China (but don't seem happy about it!)
- And the Oscar goes to Samsung, Twitter AND Apple: How Ellen's backstage iPhone antics took the gloss off the now famous A-list selfie retweet taken on rival Galaxy smartphone
- Pictured: The men who stole the car of woman in labor at gunpoint
- Unseasonably warm weather set to make 1,000-mile Iditarod race even MORE grueling as mushers set off