WWII fighter pilot who flew THROUGH the Eiffel Tower dies in Virginia aged 92
- William Overstreet Jr. passed away on Sunday at a hospital in Roanoke
- He famously flew his plane beneath the Eiffel Tower in Nazi-occupied Paris in 1944, lifting the spirits of French troops on the ground
- In 2009, he was presented France's Legion of Honor
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 13:35 EST, 3 January 2014 | UPDATED: 14:17 EST, 3 January 2014
A World War II fighter pilot who gained fame for dramatically flying beneath the Eiffel Tower's arches to take down a German aircraft has died aged 92.
William Overstreet Jr. died on Sunday at a hospital in Roanoke, Virginia, according to his obituary, but there was no indication of the cause of his death.
Overstreet's famously flew his P-51C 'Berlin Express' beneath the Eiffel Tower in Nazi-occupied Paris in 1944, which has been credited with lifting the spirits of French Resistance troops on the ground.
For his valiant service, the French ambassador to the United States presented Overstreet with France's Legion of Honor at the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford in 2009.
Hero: World War II Aviator Bill Overstreet Jr., best known for flying beneath the Eiffel Tower in pursuit of a German plane, is pictured in his military days. He passed away in Virginia on Sunday, aged 92
Before the ceremony, Overstreet had previously said that, if he lived long enough to receive the Legion of Honor, he would be accepting it in memory of his fallen brothers.
In particular, he wanted to pay tribute to a friend, Eddy Simpson, who died fighting the Nazis on the ground so his comrades, including Overstreet, could escape.
After the award was pinned to his lapel, Overstreet said: 'If I said, "Thank you," it wouldn’t be enough,' before adding: 'What more than "thank you" do you need?'
Overstreet was also awarded hundreds of other medals for his service in the 357th squadron of the U.S. Army Air Forces, his obituary said.
He was born in Clifton Forge, Virginia in 1921 and after Pearl Harbor, he enlisted in the Air Corps as a fighter pilot.
By February 1942, he was a private and sent to California for flight training; here, his instructors prepared him for the unexpected mid-flight by cutting the engine as he landed.
Remembered: Overstreet was presented with France's Legion of Honour in 2009
Aircraft: Overstreet is pictured by his P-51 'Berlin Express', the plane he flew beneath the Eiffel Tower
Overstreet credited this extreme training method with preparing him for the unexpected in war, War Bird News reported.
During training in 1943, he suffered a near-death crash when his plane, a Bell P-39 Airacobra, began spinning as he practiced maneuvers, and he was unable to control it.
He eventually forced his way out through the doors and found himself standing amid the wreckage.
When he flew in World War II, he suffered another freak accident when his oxygen line cut out as he flew 25,000 feet over France.
He passed out but snapped awake and controlled the plane and dodged trees in front of him to figure out where he was and land safely. Newspapers at the time reported that he could not remember a whole 90 minutes of the flight.
In the spring of 1944, he was following a German aircraft over Paris, with the two planes firing at each other. Overstreet eventually hit the other pilot's engine.
Proud: Overstreet is pictured in 1943 with his cherished 1938 Buick in California, where he trained
Close call: The wreckage of his Bell P-39 Airacobra which spun out of control mid-air as he completed combat training in 1943. He managed to force his way out of the craft and walked away unhurt
As the German pilot desperately sought to out-maneuver Overstreet, he flew beneath the Eiffel Tower - but the brave American flew directly beneath it and continued to fire.
The German plane crashed and Overstreet was able to escape the city.
The astounding show of skill and bravery lifted the spirits of the French, french dignitary, Bernard Marie, told the Roanoke Times.
He said he only fully understood the importance of Overstreet's feat when he spoke with his father about it.
'My father began shouting out me - "I have to meet this man",' Marie said. 'This guy has done even more than what people are thinking. He lifted the spirit of the French.'
After flying further missions, including a top secret escort mission, his tour of duty ended in October 1944 and he returned to the U.S.
Loss: Bill Overstreet is pictured at an event, Warbirds Over the Beach, in 2013. After finishing his service, he returned to the U.S. and became an accountant - but he continued to attend veterans events
He went on to teach at a gunnery school in Pinellas, Florida and when he was released from active duty, he remained on the Reserves.
He went on to work as General Manager of Charleston Aviation in West Virginia before moving to Roanoke in 1950, where he worked as an accountant until he was 65.
Before his death, he also worked with numerous charities and veterans groups, appearing at air shows and gatherings with fellow veterans. He was preceded in death by his wife, Nita.
Anne Mason Keller, Overstreet's niece, said of her uncle: 'He was a fighter, he was always a perfect gentleman. He was concise, focused with a delightful sense of humor and a twinkle in his eyes.
'He was always humble. Whenever the press interviewed him, he said, "I didn't do anything, we were a team".'
His family has asked that those attending his memorial service on Saturday those wear something either or both red and yellow, his squadron's colors.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Pictured: Smiling grandmother who was beheaded by Muslim convert in Oklahoma just months after losing her home in tornado
Colleen Hufford, 54, killed last Thursday in apparent ISIS-style beheadingGrandmother's family and friends have set up a tribute page on FacebookPost reads: 'She was beautiful soul ...
- Boy born without a face helped by woman who read of his plight on Facebook
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Yoga that makes joints worse... and other health fads experts say do more harm than good
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Utah family found dead by son under mysterious circumstances
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Body of Arkansas' Beverly Carter found as Arron Lewis faces murder charge
- HALF the world's wild animals have disappeared in 40 years: Humankind held responsible as familiar species lose battle for survival
- 'We will make some attacks in New York soon': Canadian jihadist claims ISIS 'prepared to right now to make' U.S. strike
- Mother of Oklahoma beheading suspect apologizes to victims in Facebook video, but insists 'there are two sides to every story'
- Mikie Sawyer punched man after he asked him to stop cursing in an Applebee's
- Dallas patient put into isolation for testing after returning from a region plagued by Ebola and showing signs of the deadly virus
- A new golf war! Police called to Rory McIlroy's hometown after locals report 'Arabic' emblem flying above resident's home... but it was in fact an EU flag to celebrate Ryder Cup victory
- Meet the man who is spending seven weeks dining on four bowls of pasta a day with his all-you-can-eat Olive Garden card...and claims he feels 'healthy and alert' after finishing first week
- Dr Ana Maria Gonzalez-Angulo given 10 years in prison for poisoning lover
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Japanese show launches new group the Happening Girls who you can DATE
- Mother of 4 dies after being targeted and shot by unknown man while out walking her dog
- Are you Good2Go? New app allows users to give 'consent' prior to sex... while logging the name and number of their partner
- Alton Nolen 'felt oppressed at work over not getting a raise'
- Police nab suspect who led them on high-speed chase thanks to his too-strong COLOGNE
- Execution of Iranian woman due to be hanged for killing man who 'raped her' is postponed at the last minute after calling her mother to say goodbye
- Terms of Service
- Daughter gets life in foster mom's stabbing death
- The girl with the 9lb HAIRBALL: Massive blockage meant teenager couldn't even drink a glass of water
- Muslim Husain Abdullah penalized by NFL for praying as celebration
- Ready to look cute: Magic Johnsons son and star of RichKids of Beverly Hills undergoes gastric sleeve surgery to slim down
- Depression: Can holding a magnet against your head help defeat depression?
- Predator Pursuit's Jeff Thompson lands record-sized shark with a BOW AND ARROW
- Meet 'Hunter': The American man fighting for pro-Russian rebels in Eastern Ukraine (but he only speaks English and has 'limited' understanding of the political conflict)
- Tourists miraculously escape from upturned car after vehicle plunged into swollen river when part of bridge collapsed
- Generous couple leave $100 tip to server with a sweet note despite 'terrible service during their anniversary meal'
- George and Robert Zimmerman told 'you and your brother are evil!' by CNN producer
- North Dakota student Thomas Bearson remembered as hunt for killer continues
- How commercial trucking has become the 'deadliest job in America' due to driver fatigue and lax regulation leaving a wake of casulaties
- 3-year-old boy weighs 11 STONE due to syndrome that means he can't stop eating
- Lightwater Valley rollercoaster decapitates DEER covering passengers in blood
- All hail NYC cabbies! Taxi drivers strip down for 2015 charity calendar (warning: there's a lot of chest hair)
- The most disgusting airline passengers: Former cabin attendant's 'flight shaming' website inundated with snaps of filthy behavior in the skies
- Oklahoma man charged with murder in beheading