Alexis Shapiro, 12, needs gastric bypass surgery to keep her from death
- Alexis Shapiro, 12, feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity
- She is home-schooled, has no friends, and has told doctors 'she wants to die'
- Her mother Jenny Shapiro is afraid her daughter will 'eat herself to death'
- Gastric bypass surgery will help her lose weight and may even help her brain from believing it is starving
- She is on a restricted diet of between 900-1,400 calories a day and has a strict exercise regimen
By Alexandra Klausner
PUBLISHED: 12:55 EST, 28 December 2013 | UPDATED: 13:56 EST, 28 December 2013
One 12-year-old girl from Texas had brain tumor surgery that caused her to become obese and she may die if she doesn't undergo an immediate medical procedure.
Gastric bypass surgery is the only procedure that can help her condition but the U.S. military, her family's insurance provider, will not pay for the $50,000 operation because 'she's too young.'
Alexis Shapiro is 4 foot 7 and weighs almost 200 pounds. Alexis feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity.
Alexis Shapiro is obese but feels like she's starving and needs gastric bypass surgery in order to survive
Alexis is on a restricted diet of 900 to 1,400 calories per day but despite controlling her food intake, she keep's gaining weight.
'Our reviewers have denied your request for Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass,' reads the rejection notice sent from TRICARE earlier this month.
Alexis' parents and doctors are asking that TRICARE reconsider their decision in order to save Alexis' life.
NBC news reports that Alexis is gaining two pounds per week. Alexis has been hospitalized for a kidney infection and she has developed type 2 diabetes and requires nightly insulin injections.
Alexis' pediatric obesity doctor, Dr. Thomas H. Inge of Cincinnati, believes that surgery is the only way to keep Alexis from gaining more weight which could top 400 pounds.
Gastric bypass surgery will do more that destroy the weight, it can also tell her brain that she is not starving and she may be able to curb her painful appetite.
After her surgery, Alex's parents had to take extreme measures to keep their daughter from eating herself to death.
'She’s always hungry,' her father Ian Shapiro said. 'In the past, we’ve had to padlock the cupboard.'
Two years ago after developing Craniopharyngioma , a rare type of brain tumor that grows next to the pituitary gland, Alexis had surgery to have it removed.
This is Alexis before she had brain surgery that caused her to develop hypothalamic obesity after doing damage to her hypothalamus
More than half of children with this specific form of tumor experience similar post-operative symptoms to Alexis.
'I think it is disappointing that they cannot see the facts of this case,' said Inge, of the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.
'There is no evidence that doing nothing would be in this child’s best interests,' he continued.
According to a spokesperson for TRICARE said that gastric bypass and weight loss services are only covered of the patient is or over and has full bone growth.
'In general, our Managed Care Support Contractors are required to approve or deny coverage based on TRICARE policy,' spokesman Austin Camacho said in an email to NBC News. 'We have an appeals process in place specifically designed to give our medical professionals the opportunity to examine the details of any special cases when coverage is denied,' said the insurance company.
Alexis may be a child, but she wears a women's size 1x or 2x and she goes up a size every month. When asked by psycologists about how she is coping with her condition, she has told them she 'wants to die.'
If Alexis gets the surgery she may be able to lead a normal life again and keep off the weight
'She doesn’t have any friends or anything like that,' her mother Jenny Shapiro said. 'It’s so sad, because she remembers what it was like before.'
Alexis is in constant pain and has begun homeschooling because she is afraid of going out in public.
Doctor's believe that if Alexis has Bypass surgery, she may have a chance of leading a normal life.
Kelsie Blackwell of Indianapolis, Indiana,21, had a successful bypass surgery when she was 18 that helped her lose 100 pounds after being diagnosed with hypothalamic obesity.
Unlike Alexis, Blackwell's surgery was covered by insurance.
Alexis' parents have begun to investigate other ways to raise money for their daughter's surgery. They created a Gofundme.com account to raise enough money to cover her daughter's lifelong health costs.
'These kids will literally eat themselves to death,' Jenny Shapiro said.
'That’s what I’m scared of.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Man who contracted the BUBONIC PLAGUE from his cat speaks about the ordeal that left him at death's door
- Released POW Bowe Bergdahl to return to the US tomorrow as newly leaked letters reveal he blamed his superior officers for deserting his post
- Topless women inspired by Scout Willis take to New York streets
- Kazakh volleyball player Sabina Altynbekova so attractive nobody watches the sport anymore
- National Dance Day
- Meet the World Cup final WAGS who'll be cheering on their footballers on Sunday night
- Pictured: The 10-month-old girl who died after she was left in hot car for two hours by foster father who 'wants to die' after the tragedy
- Driver's licenses for non-citizens attract overwhelming interest
- Crash victims survive after car is crushed flat by lorry's shipping container load
- Putin's daughter Maria has 'fled Holland' after Dutch fury at Russia's response to MH17 disaster
- Woman shot to death during home invasion was NOT pregnant despite homeowner's boasts that she had begged for her unborn baby's life
- Crossfit pregnant mother broke records in the final day of her pregnancy
- Gakirah Barnes of Chicago's Fly Boy Gang is teen queen of gangland
- US fighter jets escort plane back to Toronto
- 'He was ambushed inside his garage': Harvard-educated professor shot dead at home with keys still in unlocked car says new police report in baffling murder
- Tearful Leno says goodbye after 22 years as Obama and host of stars pay tribute on his final show
- Scott Disick's bulge spotted in revealing pajama pants à la Jon Hamm
- Scientists discover the new black: British researchers devise material so dark it looks like a black hole
- Designer Brennan Gleason puts resume on bottles of home-made BEER
- Miss Colorado Teen Runner-Up Kristy Althaus 'stripped of title' after it emerges she starred in porn film
- Lindsay Bottos, student turns cruel anonymous messages into powerful art project
- Show me the party! Johnny Manziel enjoys his Memorial Day weekend with a bevy of bikini-clad beauties in Vegas
- Dino Guglielmelli jailed for offering 'hitman' $80k to murder wife
- Chinese shoplifter made to sit in shop window with sign around her neck
- One person killed in rollover crash on I-25
- Legions of fans show their insulin pumps after being inspired by Miss Idaho showing hers during a beauty pageant
- MH17 passengers would have been killed instantly or knocked out in seconds
- Two Fort Carson soldiers killed
- San Diego Comic Con's sexual harassment problem
- Shocking video footage shows Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice drag his girlfriend out of an Atlantic City casino elevator by her legs
- Jessica Alba strips in Sin City: A Dame To Kill For trailer
- Christina Huffington, Arianna's daughter, posts pictures happily kissing her girlfriend Sophie
- Avon High School in Indiana students lip sync for charity in choreographed video
- Discovery of long-lost World War II dog tags may solve the 70-year-old mystery of a soldier's death
- Tragedy strikes family when eight-year-old drowns in freak circumstances swimming in pool containing less then three-feet of water
- Man stabbed to death on Springs southeast side
- How low can he go? Boy, 6, breaks world record after he rollerskates under 39 cars parked just five inches off the ground
- State closes Pueblo West dispensary for violations
- Police praise 'heroic' doctor and caseworker who stopped psychiatric patient in terrifying close-quarter gunfight after he shot dead their colleague
- Tree blows down at 8th and Hudson in Pueblo
- Free weed for veterans
- 18-year-old 'masterminds plot to murder his father and brother, 14, with the help of his four high school classmate co-conspirators'
- Hundreds attend Kim Pham's funeral, who 'was beaten to death for photobombing'
- Minneapolis duplex fire: Family's heartbreak as they lay to rest five children killed in horrific Valentine's Day fire just months after mother's death
- Deb’s Mommy blog: Getting ready for our new baby
- 'The women know they're going to be raped': Female immigrants sneaking into US taking birth control to avoid unwanted pregnancies
- Energy drinks blamed for Lanna Hamman's fatal heart attack on Mexican beach vacation
- MH17 victim's wife cancels credit cards USED by thieving pro-Russian rebels
- President Hollande faces legal action for using taxpayer cash to fund his ex-partner's lavish lifestyle after complaint from supermarket heir
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Cornell Robinson, Devery Kelley accused of robbing pregnant woman in labor in Maryland
- Father needed hospital treatment for three inch gash in his head after being attacked by his neighbour's cat because it hated his Hugo Boss AFTERSHAVE
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Business student 'posed on online dating sites as a high-flying engineer and architect to dupe love-struck women from around the world out of £186,000'
- Children undergo traditional 'lucky haircuts' in China (but don't seem happy about it!)
- And the Oscar goes to Samsung, Twitter AND Apple: How Ellen's backstage iPhone antics took the gloss off the now famous A-list selfie retweet taken on rival Galaxy smartphone
- Pictured: The men who stole the car of woman in labor at gunpoint
- Unseasonably warm weather set to make 1,000-mile Iditarod race even MORE grueling as mushers set off