Alexis Shapiro, 12, needs gastric bypass surgery to keep her from death
- Alexis Shapiro, 12, feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity
- She is home-schooled, has no friends, and has told doctors 'she wants to die'
- Her mother Jenny Shapiro is afraid her daughter will 'eat herself to death'
- Gastric bypass surgery will help her lose weight and may even help her brain from believing it is starving
- She is on a restricted diet of between 900-1,400 calories a day and has a strict exercise regimen
By Alexandra Klausner
PUBLISHED: 12:55 EST, 28 December 2013 | UPDATED: 13:56 EST, 28 December 2013
One 12-year-old girl from Texas had brain tumor surgery that caused her to become obese and she may die if she doesn't undergo an immediate medical procedure.
Gastric bypass surgery is the only procedure that can help her condition but the U.S. military, her family's insurance provider, will not pay for the $50,000 operation because 'she's too young.'
Alexis Shapiro is 4 foot 7 and weighs almost 200 pounds. Alexis feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity.
Alexis Shapiro is obese but feels like she's starving and needs gastric bypass surgery in order to survive
Alexis is on a restricted diet of 900 to 1,400 calories per day but despite controlling her food intake, she keep's gaining weight.
'Our reviewers have denied your request for Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass,' reads the rejection notice sent from TRICARE earlier this month.
Alexis' parents and doctors are asking that TRICARE reconsider their decision in order to save Alexis' life.
NBC news reports that Alexis is gaining two pounds per week. Alexis has been hospitalized for a kidney infection and she has developed type 2 diabetes and requires nightly insulin injections.
Alexis' pediatric obesity doctor, Dr. Thomas H. Inge of Cincinnati, believes that surgery is the only way to keep Alexis from gaining more weight which could top 400 pounds.
Gastric bypass surgery will do more that destroy the weight, it can also tell her brain that she is not starving and she may be able to curb her painful appetite.
After her surgery, Alex's parents had to take extreme measures to keep their daughter from eating herself to death.
'She’s always hungry,' her father Ian Shapiro said. 'In the past, we’ve had to padlock the cupboard.'
Two years ago after developing Craniopharyngioma , a rare type of brain tumor that grows next to the pituitary gland, Alexis had surgery to have it removed.
This is Alexis before she had brain surgery that caused her to develop hypothalamic obesity after doing damage to her hypothalamus
More than half of children with this specific form of tumor experience similar post-operative symptoms to Alexis.
'I think it is disappointing that they cannot see the facts of this case,' said Inge, of the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.
'There is no evidence that doing nothing would be in this child’s best interests,' he continued.
According to a spokesperson for TRICARE said that gastric bypass and weight loss services are only covered of the patient is or over and has full bone growth.
'In general, our Managed Care Support Contractors are required to approve or deny coverage based on TRICARE policy,' spokesman Austin Camacho said in an email to NBC News. 'We have an appeals process in place specifically designed to give our medical professionals the opportunity to examine the details of any special cases when coverage is denied,' said the insurance company.
Alexis may be a child, but she wears a women's size 1x or 2x and she goes up a size every month. When asked by psycologists about how she is coping with her condition, she has told them she 'wants to die.'
If Alexis gets the surgery she may be able to lead a normal life again and keep off the weight
'She doesn’t have any friends or anything like that,' her mother Jenny Shapiro said. 'It’s so sad, because she remembers what it was like before.'
Alexis is in constant pain and has begun homeschooling because she is afraid of going out in public.
Doctor's believe that if Alexis has Bypass surgery, she may have a chance of leading a normal life.
Kelsie Blackwell of Indianapolis, Indiana,21, had a successful bypass surgery when she was 18 that helped her lose 100 pounds after being diagnosed with hypothalamic obesity.
Unlike Alexis, Blackwell's surgery was covered by insurance.
Alexis' parents have begun to investigate other ways to raise money for their daughter's surgery. They created a Gofundme.com account to raise enough money to cover her daughter's lifelong health costs.
'These kids will literally eat themselves to death,' Jenny Shapiro said.
'That’s what I’m scared of.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
NEW YORK, Nov. 26 (UPI) -- Tori Spelling wants to continue True Tori. The 41-year-old actress said as much in an interview with The Meredith Vieira ...
- One Direction debut at number one on US Billboard charts with first four albums
- The women wholl do anything to have whiter skin
- Cricketer Phil Hughes dead at 25, two days after he was struck in the head by a ball as shattered teammates console each other on Australian cricket's darkest day
- Ferguson's Darren Wilson is first 6'4, 210lb child in history says Piers Morgan
- Crumbling faces of addiction: Horrifying GIFs show the heavy toll drug addiction takes on human body over time
- Terms of Service
- Donna Motsinger, 73, comes out as 'Jane Doe No 8' in 2005 civil suit accusing Bill Cosby of drugging and raping her in 1971
- Siddhartha Dhar claims he 'can't love my mum because she's not Muslim'
- Romainian mother of three mixed raced children who fled two countries before arriving in Australia
- Cricketer Phil Hughes dead at 25, two days after he was struck in the head by a ball bowled by Sean Abbott as shattered teammates console each other on Australian cricket's darkest day
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Chinese businessman builds luxury flats for his old village for free
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Darren Wilson's attorneys brand 'hands-up' version of shooting 'total bull' and reveal how Ferguson cop would venture out in disguise while in hiding
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Ferguson officer Darren Wilson's family tell of receiving death threats.
- Lake Michigan lighthouse turned into ice-sculpture by freezing waters
- Danielle Sheehan's life transformed after Botox eradicates her eczema
- Wall street trader Brad Zipper got a restraining order to break up with his girlfriend Nicole Raef
- My evil twin made me! Teen accused of 'leaving 85-year-old man tied to a coffee table for 20 hours while she went on a shopping spree' blames incident on sister who brought her along on 'sugar daddy' date
- Mother-of-two whose bakery was vandalized in Ferguson riots receives more than $190K in donations in just one day
- Ferguson man attacked with his oxygen supply and then run over
- Window into Marilyn Monroe's home ... and heart: Never-before-seen personal items that once belonged to the screen goddess to go up for auction, including love letters, a bra and her prescription pills
- Ferguson plotters 'planned to assassinate city's police chief and prosecuting attorney before bombing St. Louis'
- Halle Berry takes ex Gabriel Aubry to court over daughter's hair
- Apple sets its sights on virtual reality according to latest job advertisement
- Bette Midler declares Ariana Grande's sexy image 'so ridiculous'
- Stepdad of missing mom charged with murder when her body is discovered on his property
- Pennsylvania woman arrested in revenge plot to have her sister, sister's boyfriend, and daughter's ex-boyfriend killed by a hitman in revenge for her daughter's miscarriage
- Don't rain on our parade! Balloons for the 88th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade get blown up in Manhattan...despite the gloomy weather
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Wrecked: Eager new car owner smashes rare $1.15M McLaren one DAY after picking it up
- Bill Cosby ADMITTED giving National Enquirer an interview about rape allegations in return for covering up a second accuser's story
- Regularly drinking coffee 'cuts risk of dementia': Three to five cups a day reduces chance of developing condition by a fifth
- Vanessa Hudgens gets retraining order against stalker who wants to marry her
- Pakistani Christian Asia Bibi on death row for blasphemy makes final appeal
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- 'Star Wars' teaser trailer to screen in 30 theaters Friday
- Ferguson locals laugh at wreckage, pose for pics, scavenge for beers
- Female Papa Johns manager stops Ferguson looters
- US Special Forces funds drug that can put injured soldiers in HIBERNATION
- Harvard student Cameron Shenk who fell through Boston airport ceiling pictured
- Mother Joanne Fowler turned avenger over son Matthew's abuse by his uncle