Alexis Shapiro, 12, needs gastric bypass surgery to keep her from death
- Alexis Shapiro, 12, feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity
- She is home-schooled, has no friends, and has told doctors 'she wants to die'
- Her mother Jenny Shapiro is afraid her daughter will 'eat herself to death'
- Gastric bypass surgery will help her lose weight and may even help her brain from believing it is starving
- She is on a restricted diet of between 900-1,400 calories a day and has a strict exercise regimen
By Alexandra Klausner
PUBLISHED: 12:55 EST, 28 December 2013 | UPDATED: 13:56 EST, 28 December 2013
One 12-year-old girl from Texas had brain tumor surgery that caused her to become obese and she may die if she doesn't undergo an immediate medical procedure.
Gastric bypass surgery is the only procedure that can help her condition but the U.S. military, her family's insurance provider, will not pay for the $50,000 operation because 'she's too young.'
Alexis Shapiro is 4 foot 7 and weighs almost 200 pounds. Alexis feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity.
Alexis Shapiro is obese but feels like she's starving and needs gastric bypass surgery in order to survive
Alexis is on a restricted diet of 900 to 1,400 calories per day but despite controlling her food intake, she keep's gaining weight.
'Our reviewers have denied your request for Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass,' reads the rejection notice sent from TRICARE earlier this month.
Alexis' parents and doctors are asking that TRICARE reconsider their decision in order to save Alexis' life.
NBC news reports that Alexis is gaining two pounds per week. Alexis has been hospitalized for a kidney infection and she has developed type 2 diabetes and requires nightly insulin injections.
Alexis' pediatric obesity doctor, Dr. Thomas H. Inge of Cincinnati, believes that surgery is the only way to keep Alexis from gaining more weight which could top 400 pounds.
Gastric bypass surgery will do more that destroy the weight, it can also tell her brain that she is not starving and she may be able to curb her painful appetite.
After her surgery, Alex's parents had to take extreme measures to keep their daughter from eating herself to death.
'She’s always hungry,' her father Ian Shapiro said. 'In the past, we’ve had to padlock the cupboard.'
Two years ago after developing Craniopharyngioma , a rare type of brain tumor that grows next to the pituitary gland, Alexis had surgery to have it removed.
This is Alexis before she had brain surgery that caused her to develop hypothalamic obesity after doing damage to her hypothalamus
More than half of children with this specific form of tumor experience similar post-operative symptoms to Alexis.
'I think it is disappointing that they cannot see the facts of this case,' said Inge, of the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.
'There is no evidence that doing nothing would be in this child’s best interests,' he continued.
According to a spokesperson for TRICARE said that gastric bypass and weight loss services are only covered of the patient is or over and has full bone growth.
'In general, our Managed Care Support Contractors are required to approve or deny coverage based on TRICARE policy,' spokesman Austin Camacho said in an email to NBC News. 'We have an appeals process in place specifically designed to give our medical professionals the opportunity to examine the details of any special cases when coverage is denied,' said the insurance company.
Alexis may be a child, but she wears a women's size 1x or 2x and she goes up a size every month. When asked by psycologists about how she is coping with her condition, she has told them she 'wants to die.'
If Alexis gets the surgery she may be able to lead a normal life again and keep off the weight
'She doesn’t have any friends or anything like that,' her mother Jenny Shapiro said. 'It’s so sad, because she remembers what it was like before.'
Alexis is in constant pain and has begun homeschooling because she is afraid of going out in public.
Doctor's believe that if Alexis has Bypass surgery, she may have a chance of leading a normal life.
Kelsie Blackwell of Indianapolis, Indiana,21, had a successful bypass surgery when she was 18 that helped her lose 100 pounds after being diagnosed with hypothalamic obesity.
Unlike Alexis, Blackwell's surgery was covered by insurance.
Alexis' parents have begun to investigate other ways to raise money for their daughter's surgery. They created a Gofundme.com account to raise enough money to cover her daughter's lifelong health costs.
'These kids will literally eat themselves to death,' Jenny Shapiro said.
'That’s what I’m scared of.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Romanian footballer's girlfriend in row over animal cruelty after posting bizarre picture of pet puppy nibbling her bra
Madalina Pamfile, 21, is girlfriend of AC Milan midfielder Cristian DaminutaShe posted picture of dog nibbling breast alongside caption: 'My new love'Later wrote: Envy is ...
- Woman is killed along with her three children and boyfriend in plane crash near Erie airport
- Jennifer Lawrence victim of hacker who leaks slew of graphic nude photos of Oscar winning actress and 'dozens of A-listers'
- Indonesian student six years jail for calling city 'stupid' social media
- Iraqi TV's cartoon satire on terror, ISIS, and jihadis
- Malibu Beach surfer successfully swaps his board MID SURF before getting wiped out
- Bryan Hamade denies he's the hacker who leaked celebrity nude photos
- Dance teacher accused of molesting pupil and running 'cult' school shot dead in his Louisiana home by son-in-law who was also his former lover
- New York's West Indian Day Parade again marred by violence - this time before it even starts
- Joan Rivers joked about 'going in for procedure' the night before operation
- Louisiana TV host shot dead by son-in-law who was also believed to be his lover in alleged murder-suicide attempt
- Gym teacher sentenced to 20 months in prison for two-year sexual relationship she had with 15-year-old male student
- Three American captives held in North Korea say their plight is 'urgent' and beg U.S. government for help in new interview
- Staten Island teen dead under mysterious circumstances when he collapses during football practice
- How middle-aged mother Sally Jones from Chatham may have 'reinvented herself as a jihadi'
- Did iCloud's 'Find My iPhone' function help hackers steal celebrities' 'nude' photos? Flaw may have exposed hundreds of images
- When does a houseboat become just a house? As California is hit with one of its worst droughts in decades scientists warn they could soon last up to 30 years at a time
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Nordic diet volunteers lost three times as much weight as others
- 'I threw up before I walked her down the aisle': Dad of woman who helped kill 3 honors victims as he says he was always against her marriage to the man he says 'brainwashed' her
- Will Saudi Arabia MOVE Prophet Muhammad's remains?
- New wave of leaks plague celebrities as authorities prove unable to stop spread while some suggest naked photos were passed around users in an online CLUB for months
- Zelda Williams returns to Twitter with a poignant message
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Harmful chemical linked to factory lung condition is found in e-cigarette liquid
- 'We're all lucky to be alive': Miracle baby born in middle of fatal flood which destroyed family's home and wiped away half a town almost one year ago
- 'The colour of his skin is of no concern - Jonah being a healthy and happy baby is what matters': White child is born to black mother - beating odds of a million-to-one
- 'It seems as if I lack the Kennedy charm': Intimate letters by a teenage Bobby Kennedy show how he worried about his love life and admired big brother John
- You CAN train your brain to like healthy foods: Researchers reveal diet that can kick junk food addiction
- Me and JFK - now it can be told: How NORA EPHRON was the only White House intern Kennedy didn't make a pass at (...maybe it was the dress that looked like processed cheese)
- Top 10 hotel suites in the world revealed
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- 'I was desperate to have a baby'. Aussie mum gives birth 3 years after husbands death
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Doctors fear stroke could leave Joan Rivers as 'either a vegetable or in a wheelchair' as they begin process to bring her out of coma which will take until Tuesday
- The curse of having wonky eyebrows: Uneven brows get worse as you age - now there's a cunning way to straighten them
- Mexican university prank backfires when woman pulls GUN on students attempting to haze her
- 'If I want to I can take Kiev in a fortnight': Putin's threat to Europe revealed by EU boss as Ukraine loses control of key airport
- White British girl who's now a 'celebrity jihadi': Mother-of-two a 'top priority' for MI6 and she calls on Muslims to join the terror group
- Five geckos launched into space as part of experiment into sex at zero gravity die during their mission
- Rescue pit-bull named Buddy saves new owner's life by waking him up in the middle of house fire
- Pentagon reveals US military launched operation against al-Shabab extremist targets in Somalia
- Clifton engagement ring box springs open to present sparkler like a blooming flower
- Cure your tiredness: Enjoy hot baths and bananas for a good night's sleep
- Terms of Service
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires