Alexis Shapiro, 12, needs gastric bypass surgery to keep her from death
- Alexis Shapiro, 12, feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity
- She is home-schooled, has no friends, and has told doctors 'she wants to die'
- Her mother Jenny Shapiro is afraid her daughter will 'eat herself to death'
- Gastric bypass surgery will help her lose weight and may even help her brain from believing it is starving
- She is on a restricted diet of between 900-1,400 calories a day and has a strict exercise regimen
By Alexandra Klausner
PUBLISHED: 12:55 EST, 28 December 2013 | UPDATED: 13:56 EST, 28 December 2013
One 12-year-old girl from Texas had brain tumor surgery that caused her to become obese and she may die if she doesn't undergo an immediate medical procedure.
Gastric bypass surgery is the only procedure that can help her condition but the U.S. military, her family's insurance provider, will not pay for the $50,000 operation because 'she's too young.'
Alexis Shapiro is 4 foot 7 and weighs almost 200 pounds. Alexis feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity.
Alexis Shapiro is obese but feels like she's starving and needs gastric bypass surgery in order to survive
Alexis is on a restricted diet of 900 to 1,400 calories per day but despite controlling her food intake, she keep's gaining weight.
'Our reviewers have denied your request for Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass,' reads the rejection notice sent from TRICARE earlier this month.
Alexis' parents and doctors are asking that TRICARE reconsider their decision in order to save Alexis' life.
NBC news reports that Alexis is gaining two pounds per week. Alexis has been hospitalized for a kidney infection and she has developed type 2 diabetes and requires nightly insulin injections.
Alexis' pediatric obesity doctor, Dr. Thomas H. Inge of Cincinnati, believes that surgery is the only way to keep Alexis from gaining more weight which could top 400 pounds.
Gastric bypass surgery will do more that destroy the weight, it can also tell her brain that she is not starving and she may be able to curb her painful appetite.
After her surgery, Alex's parents had to take extreme measures to keep their daughter from eating herself to death.
'She’s always hungry,' her father Ian Shapiro said. 'In the past, we’ve had to padlock the cupboard.'
Two years ago after developing Craniopharyngioma , a rare type of brain tumor that grows next to the pituitary gland, Alexis had surgery to have it removed.
This is Alexis before she had brain surgery that caused her to develop hypothalamic obesity after doing damage to her hypothalamus
More than half of children with this specific form of tumor experience similar post-operative symptoms to Alexis.
'I think it is disappointing that they cannot see the facts of this case,' said Inge, of the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.
'There is no evidence that doing nothing would be in this child’s best interests,' he continued.
According to a spokesperson for TRICARE said that gastric bypass and weight loss services are only covered of the patient is or over and has full bone growth.
'In general, our Managed Care Support Contractors are required to approve or deny coverage based on TRICARE policy,' spokesman Austin Camacho said in an email to NBC News. 'We have an appeals process in place specifically designed to give our medical professionals the opportunity to examine the details of any special cases when coverage is denied,' said the insurance company.
Alexis may be a child, but she wears a women's size 1x or 2x and she goes up a size every month. When asked by psycologists about how she is coping with her condition, she has told them she 'wants to die.'
If Alexis gets the surgery she may be able to lead a normal life again and keep off the weight
'She doesn’t have any friends or anything like that,' her mother Jenny Shapiro said. 'It’s so sad, because she remembers what it was like before.'
Alexis is in constant pain and has begun homeschooling because she is afraid of going out in public.
Doctor's believe that if Alexis has Bypass surgery, she may have a chance of leading a normal life.
Kelsie Blackwell of Indianapolis, Indiana,21, had a successful bypass surgery when she was 18 that helped her lose 100 pounds after being diagnosed with hypothalamic obesity.
Unlike Alexis, Blackwell's surgery was covered by insurance.
Alexis' parents have begun to investigate other ways to raise money for their daughter's surgery. They created a Gofundme.com account to raise enough money to cover her daughter's lifelong health costs.
'These kids will literally eat themselves to death,' Jenny Shapiro said.
'That’s what I’m scared of.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
Denver Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan suffered a knee injury during training camp on Tuesday that will force him to sit out for up to two ...
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Wealthy New York socialites who were cleared of abusing their nanny are stuck on luxurious Italy vacation after border officials refuse to let them back on US soil
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Tent city sprouts up in shadow of downtown Detroit as area bounces back with restaurants and shops doing brisk business
- Handcuffed and locked up: Muslim convert wife of Sydney siege gunman back behind bars after court hears she is 'capable of doing criminal acts' on behalf of her dead fanatic husband while awaiting trial for the murder of his FIRST wife
- Parents' anger after Bosnian schoolgirls aged 13 and 14 fall pregnant on class trip
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- 'We don't believe in vengeance, we just forgive': Family of slain NYPD cop FORGIVES cold-blooded assassin saying 'he is in the hands of God now'
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Sony WILL release The Interview: Execs now change their mind after initially bowing to hackers' demands and pulling Kim Jong-Un assassination film
- 'Hero' California teen stops wannabe kidnapper from taking four-year-old sister
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Terms of Service
- Veteran TV actor Booth Colman, famous for Planet Of The Apes and Star Trek, dies aged 91
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Tara Palmer-Tomkinson 'arrested by armed police at Heathrow after throwing tantrum because she was refused access to first-class lounge'
- Not bad for a starter home! Matt Damon sells seven-bedroom Mediterranean-style mansion where he started his family for $15.4million
- Chris Christie calls on Obama to extradite Tupac Shakur's aunt from Cuba 40 years after she executed a cop, escaped jail and won asylum from Fidel Castro
- Facebook accused of bowing to Putin: Site shuts down page supporting president's rival 'because of pressure from the Kremlin'
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Prince George visits winter wonderland attaction with Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
- James Woods calls Al Sharpton a 'race pimp' and says the 'disgusting pig' is responsible for NYPD cop murders
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Revealed: Americans drink more in the winter over Valentine's Day, Superbowl Sunday and St Patrick's Day weekend than any other time of year
- Argentine zoo may be forced to release Sandra the orangutan
- Welcome to the Snaketivity: Satanists and Christians do battle with competing nativity scenes on the statehouse lawn in Michigan
- Was Brooklyn double cop killer carrying out the work of the Black Guerrilla Family prison gang? Police probe links to group who promised to avenge the deaths of Eric Garner and Michael Brown
- The ethnic maps of America revealed by researchers
- By George! Look who will be rocking into 2015: My future kingdom for a horse (well, a £4,650 zebra). What prince is getting from Santa
- Families of Michael Brown and Eric Garner condemn shootings of NYPD officers
- Protesters greet Obama on first day of Hawaiian vacation as president goes golfing during Brooklyn cop killing
- Singer who claimed he was forced to quit job over 'hostile' female colleague loses case
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- 'Get on the floor!': Passer-by captures the chaos in the Brooklyn subway station after police enter in pursuit of cop killer
- Autopsy report of mayor husband shot dead by his 'battered' wife reveals she suffered 'over 20 years of physical abuse'
- Brothers accused of glassing and punching a restaurant owner after urinating on his personal shrine in Bali walk free
- As footage emerges of sheep being violently mistreated is there hidden cruelty behind your winter woolly
- How British spies have lost track of our most dangerous criminals after Snowden revealed GCHQ's tactics
- Not bad for a starter home! Matt Damon sells seven-bedroom Miami mansion where he started his family for $15.4million
- Haunting new photos of Michigan's abandoned Silverdome reveal how one of the country's most famous stadiums is now just an empty shell left to rot
- Pictured: The tragic children stabbed to death in their family home... as neighbours reveal mother's erratic behaviour hours before bodies were found
- (OFFICIAL) -U.S. firm finds malware targeting visitors to Afghan govt websites
- Losing a loved one at Christmas taught me what's truly worth celebrating
- Hands up who else thinks The Interview was Western filth? Kim Jong-Un mobbed by huge crowds days after FBI confirm his spies were responsible for Sony hack
- 'Hey n*****, stop killing innocent people': Al Sharpton plays racist voicemail for the press as he reveals he's received multiple threats since Brooklyn cop slayings
- How NYC cop killer Ismaaiyl Brinsley threatened Con Ed workers
Handcuffed and locked up: Muslim convert wife of Sydney siege gunman back behind bars after court hears she is 'capable of doing criminal acts' on behalf of her dead fanatic husband while awaiting trial for the murder of his FIRST wife (0)