Alexis Shapiro, 12, needs gastric bypass surgery to keep her from death
- Alexis Shapiro, 12, feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity
- She is home-schooled, has no friends, and has told doctors 'she wants to die'
- Her mother Jenny Shapiro is afraid her daughter will 'eat herself to death'
- Gastric bypass surgery will help her lose weight and may even help her brain from believing it is starving
- She is on a restricted diet of between 900-1,400 calories a day and has a strict exercise regimen
By Alexandra Klausner
PUBLISHED: 12:55 EST, 28 December 2013 | UPDATED: 13:56 EST, 28 December 2013
One 12-year-old girl from Texas had brain tumor surgery that caused her to become obese and she may die if she doesn't undergo an immediate medical procedure.
Gastric bypass surgery is the only procedure that can help her condition but the U.S. military, her family's insurance provider, will not pay for the $50,000 operation because 'she's too young.'
Alexis Shapiro is 4 foot 7 and weighs almost 200 pounds. Alexis feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity.
Alexis Shapiro is obese but feels like she's starving and needs gastric bypass surgery in order to survive
Alexis is on a restricted diet of 900 to 1,400 calories per day but despite controlling her food intake, she keep's gaining weight.
'Our reviewers have denied your request for Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass,' reads the rejection notice sent from TRICARE earlier this month.
Alexis' parents and doctors are asking that TRICARE reconsider their decision in order to save Alexis' life.
NBC news reports that Alexis is gaining two pounds per week. Alexis has been hospitalized for a kidney infection and she has developed type 2 diabetes and requires nightly insulin injections.
Alexis' pediatric obesity doctor, Dr. Thomas H. Inge of Cincinnati, believes that surgery is the only way to keep Alexis from gaining more weight which could top 400 pounds.
Gastric bypass surgery will do more that destroy the weight, it can also tell her brain that she is not starving and she may be able to curb her painful appetite.
After her surgery, Alex's parents had to take extreme measures to keep their daughter from eating herself to death.
'She’s always hungry,' her father Ian Shapiro said. 'In the past, we’ve had to padlock the cupboard.'
Two years ago after developing Craniopharyngioma , a rare type of brain tumor that grows next to the pituitary gland, Alexis had surgery to have it removed.
This is Alexis before she had brain surgery that caused her to develop hypothalamic obesity after doing damage to her hypothalamus
More than half of children with this specific form of tumor experience similar post-operative symptoms to Alexis.
'I think it is disappointing that they cannot see the facts of this case,' said Inge, of the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.
'There is no evidence that doing nothing would be in this child’s best interests,' he continued.
According to a spokesperson for TRICARE said that gastric bypass and weight loss services are only covered of the patient is or over and has full bone growth.
'In general, our Managed Care Support Contractors are required to approve or deny coverage based on TRICARE policy,' spokesman Austin Camacho said in an email to NBC News. 'We have an appeals process in place specifically designed to give our medical professionals the opportunity to examine the details of any special cases when coverage is denied,' said the insurance company.
Alexis may be a child, but she wears a women's size 1x or 2x and she goes up a size every month. When asked by psycologists about how she is coping with her condition, she has told them she 'wants to die.'
If Alexis gets the surgery she may be able to lead a normal life again and keep off the weight
'She doesn’t have any friends or anything like that,' her mother Jenny Shapiro said. 'It’s so sad, because she remembers what it was like before.'
Alexis is in constant pain and has begun homeschooling because she is afraid of going out in public.
Doctor's believe that if Alexis has Bypass surgery, she may have a chance of leading a normal life.
Kelsie Blackwell of Indianapolis, Indiana,21, had a successful bypass surgery when she was 18 that helped her lose 100 pounds after being diagnosed with hypothalamic obesity.
Unlike Alexis, Blackwell's surgery was covered by insurance.
Alexis' parents have begun to investigate other ways to raise money for their daughter's surgery. They created a Gofundme.com account to raise enough money to cover her daughter's lifelong health costs.
'These kids will literally eat themselves to death,' Jenny Shapiro said.
'That’s what I’m scared of.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
By Margot Peppers for MailOnline Published: 12:51 EST, 24 October 2014 | Updated: 13:22 EST, 24 October 2014 ...
- War on cancer is stalling because pharmaceutical firms only create drugs they know will make a profit, leading scientist claims
- Chicago teen hits $4million lottery jackpot on her 19th birthday after receiving $20 ticket as a present from her father
- Exposure to UV rays releases protein which helps metabolism
- New York Ebola patient Dr Craig Spencer receives blood transfusion from survivor Nancy Writebol
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Texas man who viciously 'hurled an innocent Chihuahua against a glass Starbucks window' is arrested on animal cruelty charges
- Pakistan to bring in anti-cannibalism law after brothers dug up corpses for curry
- Doctors warn speeding of biological clock means women will take four years to conceive
- Grieving Russian mother who was told son had died shortly after being born is reunited with him alive and well five years later
- President Reagan's astrologer who advised him on everything from the Soviet Union to flight schedules dies at 87
- Angelina Jolie on sex in trucks, breaking into cars and 'insane' Brits
- James Franco shares cryptic photo with a bloody Megan Fox
- Denver girls lured by ISIS through 'Disney-like' versions of extremism on social media
- Do King Harold's remains lie under a Hertfordshire church?
- British tourist Stuart Gravenell savaged by ape during visit to Gibraltar
- NY Ebola doctor was told he didn't have to self-quarantine
- Jaylen Fryberg pictured as homecoming prince weeks before Marysville shooting
- Happy HOWLoween! Adorable dogs all dressed up walk their owners in a Halloween parade in New York City
- Brother and sister of Jennifer Laude allegedly murdered by US soldier storm Philippine military base
- HIV postitive sex offender 'raped a teen, 14, and two-year-old infecting them both'
- Woman on death row for killing 'man who tried to rape her' will be hanged at dawn: Mother called to Iranian prison to see her daughter for last time
- Bikini-top of the charts!: Video of a singer struggling to keep a puppy from pulling off her bathing suit has over TWO MILLION views...but her music video only has a few thousand
- 'You're no longer my brother': How school love triangle drove fifteen-year-old gunman to shoot the close cousin who took his girl - in attack that left one dead and four injured
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Anatoly Moskvin dug up 150 girls graves to hold 'birthday parties' for them
- 'But I paid so much money!': Woman drugged after wisdom teeth surgery is devastated that she hasn't woken up looking like Nicki Minaj... and isn't friends with Ellen DeGeneres
- Al Capone's Chicago home on the market for $225,000
- California teacher, 34, jailed over 'lewd relationship with middle school student'
- Tornado in Washington rips the roof off an elementary school
- Halle Berry to launch lingerie line at Target
- Central Bucks High School West cancels football season after sex hazing
- Peter Kassig's mother begs ISIS kidnappers not to behead her son in Twitter plea
- Fiancée of New York Ebola doctor Craig Spencer speaks out as she and two friends to be released from hospital and quarantined at home instead
- Mystery sign language interpreter for Ebola conference wins legions of Twitter fans following animated appearance alongside de Blasio in New York
- 'I can't continue to hate the shaman': Mother's heartbreaking struggle to come to terms with mysterious death of son, 18, who died after taking tribal hallucinogenic and was then dumped on Amazonian dirt track
- Christie's message to Iowa: America losing respect 'because we no longer mean what we say and say what we mean'
- British woman dead in Bangkok after cosmetic surgery
- Honey Boo Boo shock claim that Mama June's now adult daughter was victim of child molester
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is simply light years ahead of Apple's iPhone
- 'No time for hate just love': Mom of boy, 14, shot point-blank in head by his cousin in school love-triangle shooting shows remarkable compassion as all four survivors fight for their lives in hospital
- Man 'shoots his 13-year-old neighbor NINE TIMES because he was LAUGHING at him when he discovered his home had been burglarized hours before'
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Britain is worst in the West for inactivity
- Remains in Oklahoma lake belong to six people who vanished in cold cases
- Diving excursion turns into a nightmare when swimmer is ATTACKED by sea lion
- British hostage John Cantlie appears in another ISIS propaganda video claiming prisoners 'read books, played games and gave lectures' before being slaughtered
- 'Mainstream media outlets cover up for President Obama and kill unfavorable stories': Bombshell claims made by former CBS reporter in explosive new book
- Titans running back is arrested after parking BMW convertible in handicap spot and speeding away as officer issued citation
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
New York Ebola doctor's fiancee and TWO friends quarantined amid fears he gave them deadly virus: Potential victims in isolation - and there could be more after medic spent SEVEN days riding the subway, bowling and traveling in Uber taxis (0)