Alexis Shapiro, 12, needs gastric bypass surgery to keep her from death
- Alexis Shapiro, 12, feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity
- She is home-schooled, has no friends, and has told doctors 'she wants to die'
- Her mother Jenny Shapiro is afraid her daughter will 'eat herself to death'
- Gastric bypass surgery will help her lose weight and may even help her brain from believing it is starving
- She is on a restricted diet of between 900-1,400 calories a day and has a strict exercise regimen
By Alexandra Klausner
PUBLISHED: 12:55 EST, 28 December 2013 | UPDATED: 13:56 EST, 28 December 2013
One 12-year-old girl from Texas had brain tumor surgery that caused her to become obese and she may die if she doesn't undergo an immediate medical procedure.
Gastric bypass surgery is the only procedure that can help her condition but the U.S. military, her family's insurance provider, will not pay for the $50,000 operation because 'she's too young.'
Alexis Shapiro is 4 foot 7 and weighs almost 200 pounds. Alexis feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity.
Alexis Shapiro is obese but feels like she's starving and needs gastric bypass surgery in order to survive
Alexis is on a restricted diet of 900 to 1,400 calories per day but despite controlling her food intake, she keep's gaining weight.
'Our reviewers have denied your request for Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass,' reads the rejection notice sent from TRICARE earlier this month.
Alexis' parents and doctors are asking that TRICARE reconsider their decision in order to save Alexis' life.
NBC news reports that Alexis is gaining two pounds per week. Alexis has been hospitalized for a kidney infection and she has developed type 2 diabetes and requires nightly insulin injections.
Alexis' pediatric obesity doctor, Dr. Thomas H. Inge of Cincinnati, believes that surgery is the only way to keep Alexis from gaining more weight which could top 400 pounds.
Gastric bypass surgery will do more that destroy the weight, it can also tell her brain that she is not starving and she may be able to curb her painful appetite.
After her surgery, Alex's parents had to take extreme measures to keep their daughter from eating herself to death.
'She’s always hungry,' her father Ian Shapiro said. 'In the past, we’ve had to padlock the cupboard.'
Two years ago after developing Craniopharyngioma , a rare type of brain tumor that grows next to the pituitary gland, Alexis had surgery to have it removed.
This is Alexis before she had brain surgery that caused her to develop hypothalamic obesity after doing damage to her hypothalamus
More than half of children with this specific form of tumor experience similar post-operative symptoms to Alexis.
'I think it is disappointing that they cannot see the facts of this case,' said Inge, of the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.
'There is no evidence that doing nothing would be in this child’s best interests,' he continued.
According to a spokesperson for TRICARE said that gastric bypass and weight loss services are only covered of the patient is or over and has full bone growth.
'In general, our Managed Care Support Contractors are required to approve or deny coverage based on TRICARE policy,' spokesman Austin Camacho said in an email to NBC News. 'We have an appeals process in place specifically designed to give our medical professionals the opportunity to examine the details of any special cases when coverage is denied,' said the insurance company.
Alexis may be a child, but she wears a women's size 1x or 2x and she goes up a size every month. When asked by psycologists about how she is coping with her condition, she has told them she 'wants to die.'
If Alexis gets the surgery she may be able to lead a normal life again and keep off the weight
'She doesn’t have any friends or anything like that,' her mother Jenny Shapiro said. 'It’s so sad, because she remembers what it was like before.'
Alexis is in constant pain and has begun homeschooling because she is afraid of going out in public.
Doctor's believe that if Alexis has Bypass surgery, she may have a chance of leading a normal life.
Kelsie Blackwell of Indianapolis, Indiana,21, had a successful bypass surgery when she was 18 that helped her lose 100 pounds after being diagnosed with hypothalamic obesity.
Unlike Alexis, Blackwell's surgery was covered by insurance.
Alexis' parents have begun to investigate other ways to raise money for their daughter's surgery. They created a Gofundme.com account to raise enough money to cover her daughter's lifelong health costs.
'These kids will literally eat themselves to death,' Jenny Shapiro said.
'That’s what I’m scared of.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Hall of Fame pitcher Goose Gossage helps print money at Denver Mint
- Terror aboard THIRD Malaysia Airlines jet as it is forced to abandon take-off to avoid collision with incoming flight
- Was Abigail Hernandez KIDNAPPED?
- 'My son saved his attacker's life': Father who pounded admitted child molester into a 'bloody puddle' claims son stopped him from stabbing admitted pedophile to death
- Salma Hayek's brother Sami could face manslaughter charges after deadly crash
- Woman and boyfriend charged with savagely beating, nearly killing one-year-old daughter
- The happiest place on Earth? Disney World employees among the workers forced into homelessness because they can't afford to rent in Orlando
- Matthew Reese knowingly infected teenage girl with HIV
- Woody Allen's adopted daughter Dylan Farrow details alleged sexual abuse at age SEVEN in shocking open letter
- Cartel member accused of kidnapping children to harvest their organs is captured in Mexico
- Streaks of passion and blurred action: Hotel invites couples to make love on canvas to create Valentine's works of art
- Portland University student claims sexual tension with professor caused heart problems
- Hello Kitty obsessive spent has spent £50,000 over 15 years collecting 10,000 items
- Schoolgirl, 11, loses 6st and now set to compete as freestyle swimmer
- Betrayal forced Guzman to flee his lavish compound of seven homes with secret tunnels to grubby seaside condo where he was caught
- ISIS militants declare formation of caliphate in Syria and Iraq and demand Muslims around the world swear their allegiance, as they announce they are changing their name to the Islamic State
- From mangled to medical rock star: Shotgun victim who underwent most ambitious face transplant ever performed covers GQ and says he is 'honored to be an experiment'
- Sierra Leone's top Ebola doctor dies after contracting the virus while fighting the outbreak as Nigeria admits precise number of people U.S. victim Patrick Sawyer could have infected is unknown
- Train carrying Boeing 737 parts derails sending plane fuselages into river
- Two American doctors battling the deadly Ebola virus in Africa are entering a 'critical' phase of tehir treatment and
- CIA director apologizes after government spooks snooped on US Senate computers
- Shocking video footage shows Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice drag his girlfriend out of an Atlantic City casino elevator by her legs
- Girl, 14, killed after being 'sucked into freight train's vacuum
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Shrunken heads and Ming Dynasty jade among incredible horde amassed by Indiana man, 91, over eight decades
- Murder victim’s stepfather: Suspect had ‘manifesto’ about capturing, killing a girl
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes as fires still rage
- Grieving parents hit with $200,000 bill for daughter's student loans after she died suddenly
- 'I'm full throttle - I'm going down!' One woman is dead after a small plane crashed in the parking lot of a busy shopping center
- FBI: ‘Good Grammar Bandit’ wanted in 7 metro Denver bank robberies
- Feeling glum, joyful, aroused? This new tech can detect your mood
- Two fathers tell the incredible story of how they rescued their sons from shared ex-wife after she kidnapped them to Europe in 2012 and disguised them as girls
- Comedian posing as a chef dupes local talk show hosts with repulsive cooking segment
- Yes, yes, YES! Woman experience TWO types of orgasm, sonographs reveal
- Father questions how schizophrenic son who brutally murdered his mom could harm himself so seriously on suicide watch after he appears in court in a wheelchair and metal halo
- 'When we're naked, it's like we're all the same': Yoga studio offers all-nude co-ed classes to overcome body issues and vulnerability
- Hulk Hogan: Woman steals, returns wrestler's signed boot
- Argentina's president becomes godmother of lesbian couple's baby
- Sterling set to make $563 million if he is forced to sell Clippers... but will the NBA be able to force him out? Fellow owners and league prepare for bitter legal battle
- Shocking secret footage reveals teacher aides slapping and choking special needs student before knocking him off a chair
- Ann Taylor under fire for bikini ad Photoshop fail
- Train racist Karen Bailey abused kids after visit to Sydney to watch The Lion King
- Revealed: The British father making a fortune from vile Magaluf 'Carnage' tours
- Drew Barrymore enjoys family vacation in Nantucket
- Las Vegas casino robber Scott Carmitchel is rolled into court handcuffed to wheelchair, covered in a blanket and wearing a SPIT MASK
- Colorado family on vacation gets selfie with Presdent Obama
- Mother arrested after 2-month-old daughter dies from suspected child abuse
- 'I should have gone back': Tearful teen who fled after mowing down two sisters hiding in a pile of leaves reacts to 3-year probation... but now she could be DEPORTED
- Three teenagers charged with soliciting naked selfies of underage teen girls to post on Instagram
Scorn of 'stitch bitch' Alexander McQueen... designer who dressed (and dissed!) the A-list: Banning Posh from free frocks. Assaulting Madonna (with a spud). What couture's bad boy REALLY thought of his clients revealed by his live-in lover (2.00)
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Cornell Robinson, Devery Kelley accused of robbing pregnant woman in labor in Maryland
- Father needed hospital treatment for three inch gash in his head after being attacked by his neighbour's cat because it hated his Hugo Boss AFTERSHAVE
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Business student 'posed on online dating sites as a high-flying engineer and architect to dupe love-struck women from around the world out of £186,000'
- Children undergo traditional 'lucky haircuts' in China (but don't seem happy about it!)
- And the Oscar goes to Samsung, Twitter AND Apple: How Ellen's backstage iPhone antics took the gloss off the now famous A-list selfie retweet taken on rival Galaxy smartphone
- Pictured: The men who stole the car of woman in labor at gunpoint
- Unseasonably warm weather set to make 1,000-mile Iditarod race even MORE grueling as mushers set off