Alexis Shapiro, 12, needs gastric bypass surgery to keep her from death
- Alexis Shapiro, 12, feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity
- She is home-schooled, has no friends, and has told doctors 'she wants to die'
- Her mother Jenny Shapiro is afraid her daughter will 'eat herself to death'
- Gastric bypass surgery will help her lose weight and may even help her brain from believing it is starving
- She is on a restricted diet of between 900-1,400 calories a day and has a strict exercise regimen
By Alexandra Klausner
PUBLISHED: 12:55 EST, 28 December 2013 | UPDATED: 13:56 EST, 28 December 2013
One 12-year-old girl from Texas had brain tumor surgery that caused her to become obese and she may die if she doesn't undergo an immediate medical procedure.
Gastric bypass surgery is the only procedure that can help her condition but the U.S. military, her family's insurance provider, will not pay for the $50,000 operation because 'she's too young.'
Alexis Shapiro is 4 foot 7 and weighs almost 200 pounds. Alexis feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity.
Alexis Shapiro is obese but feels like she's starving and needs gastric bypass surgery in order to survive
Alexis is on a restricted diet of 900 to 1,400 calories per day but despite controlling her food intake, she keep's gaining weight.
'Our reviewers have denied your request for Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass,' reads the rejection notice sent from TRICARE earlier this month.
Alexis' parents and doctors are asking that TRICARE reconsider their decision in order to save Alexis' life.
NBC news reports that Alexis is gaining two pounds per week. Alexis has been hospitalized for a kidney infection and she has developed type 2 diabetes and requires nightly insulin injections.
Alexis' pediatric obesity doctor, Dr. Thomas H. Inge of Cincinnati, believes that surgery is the only way to keep Alexis from gaining more weight which could top 400 pounds.
Gastric bypass surgery will do more that destroy the weight, it can also tell her brain that she is not starving and she may be able to curb her painful appetite.
After her surgery, Alex's parents had to take extreme measures to keep their daughter from eating herself to death.
'She’s always hungry,' her father Ian Shapiro said. 'In the past, we’ve had to padlock the cupboard.'
Two years ago after developing Craniopharyngioma , a rare type of brain tumor that grows next to the pituitary gland, Alexis had surgery to have it removed.
This is Alexis before she had brain surgery that caused her to develop hypothalamic obesity after doing damage to her hypothalamus
More than half of children with this specific form of tumor experience similar post-operative symptoms to Alexis.
'I think it is disappointing that they cannot see the facts of this case,' said Inge, of the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.
'There is no evidence that doing nothing would be in this child’s best interests,' he continued.
According to a spokesperson for TRICARE said that gastric bypass and weight loss services are only covered of the patient is or over and has full bone growth.
'In general, our Managed Care Support Contractors are required to approve or deny coverage based on TRICARE policy,' spokesman Austin Camacho said in an email to NBC News. 'We have an appeals process in place specifically designed to give our medical professionals the opportunity to examine the details of any special cases when coverage is denied,' said the insurance company.
Alexis may be a child, but she wears a women's size 1x or 2x and she goes up a size every month. When asked by psycologists about how she is coping with her condition, she has told them she 'wants to die.'
If Alexis gets the surgery she may be able to lead a normal life again and keep off the weight
'She doesn’t have any friends or anything like that,' her mother Jenny Shapiro said. 'It’s so sad, because she remembers what it was like before.'
Alexis is in constant pain and has begun homeschooling because she is afraid of going out in public.
Doctor's believe that if Alexis has Bypass surgery, she may have a chance of leading a normal life.
Kelsie Blackwell of Indianapolis, Indiana,21, had a successful bypass surgery when she was 18 that helped her lose 100 pounds after being diagnosed with hypothalamic obesity.
Unlike Alexis, Blackwell's surgery was covered by insurance.
Alexis' parents have begun to investigate other ways to raise money for their daughter's surgery. They created a Gofundme.com account to raise enough money to cover her daughter's lifelong health costs.
'These kids will literally eat themselves to death,' Jenny Shapiro said.
'That’s what I’m scared of.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Married English teacher arrested for 'carnal knowledge of a juvenile' after her male student was overheard bragging about sex with TWO teachers - and it was videotaped
Shelley Dufresne, 34, a Louisiana teacher and married mother of three, was arrested just days after school officials learned of the allegations A 16-year-old student at ...
- Grand jury for Ferguson shooting under investigation for misconduct 'after jury member discussed the case with a friend and posted it on Twitter'
- 'Charles and Maurice Saatchi made Mad Men look tame!'
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- First Ebola patient in US does not lead to new travel restrictions from White House
- Patient in Honolulu is in isolation for possible EBOLA but has not yet been tested for the virus
- Child dies from complications of enterovirus
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Married high school math teacher, 27, charged with repeatedly having sex with underage male student
- Tumblr Bling Ring shoplifting community on the rise as offenders claim they are just ROLE-PLAYING to avoid trouble with hauls so outlandish they even include LIVE LOBSTERS
- Victims of major celebrity photo hack join together to 'sue Google $100M for capitalizing on this scandal rather than fixing it'
- U.S. Ebola victim helped carry convulsing pregnant woman who later died of the virus four days before he flew from Liberia to Texas. Four more of his neighbors died too: So how was he even allowed to step on the flight?
- Men on The Menu author Bambi Smyth travelled to 22 countries to go on 75 blind dates
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Eliot Spitzer's self-proclaimed madame is sentenced to two years in prison after peddling prescription pills 'for no apparent reason but greed'
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- The amazing moment a FIVE metre shark sunk its teeth into another great white only HALF the size
- World's natural beauty captured in images due to National Geographic competiton
- University of Cincinnati football staffer fired after he 'rubbed his genitals on 73-year-old grocery store employee'
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Tracy Morgan lashes out at Walmart who said he wasn't wearing a seatbelt
- Night-vision photos show U.S. fighter jet being refueled mid-air before carrying out strikes over Syria
- Con man Jimmy Sabatino who scammed Miami hotels is sentenced to five years in prison
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- 1km-long path opens in Russia's treetops and even boasts a 650ft bungee jump
- GE recruit Jeff Goldblum for retro TV ad for its new LED lightbulb
- Student nurse condemned after posing for a photograph during surgery
- 'She was even more beautiful on the inside': Prince Albert of Monaco lifts the lid on what it was like having Grace Kelly as a mother
- Hong Kong protests spread around the world: Thousands take to the streets in pro-democracy demos in dozens of cities including London, Manchester and New York
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Miles Teller talks dramatic drummer role in 'Whiplash'
- China honours its fallen with its first 'Martyrs' Day' ceremonies, including memorial service for World War Two victims at country's huge Red Army cemetery
- The awe-inspiring bravery of wheelchair hiker who tried but gallantly failed at his second attempt to cross the Sierra Nevada mountain range
- Did Jesse Matthew murder TWO other Virginia women? Newport News police reopening cases of two young women who went missing in 2003 when Hannah Graham suspect was attending local university
- Stars who've brushed up their smiles image with gleaming new teeth
- Maldive photos show mountains of plastic bottles washed up on islands
- Need to study for your big test? Hit the gym: Researchers say 20 minutes of weightlifting can enhance your memory by 10%
- Search fleet are just days away from what could be the final resting place of missing flight MH370
- Were YOU on the same flight as America's first Ebola victim?: United Airlines releases flight numbers for planes Thomas Duncan caught to get from Liberia to Dallas
- C.J. Spillman of the Dallas Cowboy's is being investigated for an alleged sexual assault at the team's hotel last month and is the latest of several players accused of violent crimes
- Bank of America first to add security chips to debit cards
- 'The world could be a very different place if he pulled that gun': Secret Service allowed a three-time felon carrying a gun to travel in an elevator with Obama in latest screw up
- 'We need him back home': Wife of British hostage Alan Henning urges ISIS captors to release him in moving video
- Former state wrestling champ and Harvard student dies in mysterious circumstances one day after funeral for his best friend who died of suspected heroin overdose
- Texas girl missing for TWELVE years is rescued in Mexico
- Quentin Tarantino to shoot 'The Hateful Eight' in Colorado
- Schoolchildren exposed in US Ebola scare as patient named as Thomas Eric Duncan
When Diane Sawyer met Mike Nichols he was hairless, hallucinating and addicted to Halcion sleeping pills. But she knew right away he was her 'center of the dance,' a salty new book on newswomen in TV reveals (0)
'Just confess if you still have a spark of humanity': Mother in emotional plea to Hannah Graham suspect after forensic evidence links him to abduction, rape and murder of her own daughter five years ago (0)