Alexis Shapiro, 12, needs gastric bypass surgery to keep her from death
- Alexis Shapiro, 12, feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity
- She is home-schooled, has no friends, and has told doctors 'she wants to die'
- Her mother Jenny Shapiro is afraid her daughter will 'eat herself to death'
- Gastric bypass surgery will help her lose weight and may even help her brain from believing it is starving
- She is on a restricted diet of between 900-1,400 calories a day and has a strict exercise regimen
By Alexandra Klausner
PUBLISHED: 12:55 EST, 28 December 2013 | UPDATED: 13:56 EST, 28 December 2013
One 12-year-old girl from Texas had brain tumor surgery that caused her to become obese and she may die if she doesn't undergo an immediate medical procedure.
Gastric bypass surgery is the only procedure that can help her condition but the U.S. military, her family's insurance provider, will not pay for the $50,000 operation because 'she's too young.'
Alexis Shapiro is 4 foot 7 and weighs almost 200 pounds. Alexis feels like she is constantly starving due to the fact that her surgery to remove a benign tumor caused damage to her hypothalamus, instigating the development of hypothalamic obesity.
Alexis Shapiro is obese but feels like she's starving and needs gastric bypass surgery in order to survive
Alexis is on a restricted diet of 900 to 1,400 calories per day but despite controlling her food intake, she keep's gaining weight.
'Our reviewers have denied your request for Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass,' reads the rejection notice sent from TRICARE earlier this month.
Alexis' parents and doctors are asking that TRICARE reconsider their decision in order to save Alexis' life.
NBC news reports that Alexis is gaining two pounds per week. Alexis has been hospitalized for a kidney infection and she has developed type 2 diabetes and requires nightly insulin injections.
Alexis' pediatric obesity doctor, Dr. Thomas H. Inge of Cincinnati, believes that surgery is the only way to keep Alexis from gaining more weight which could top 400 pounds.
Gastric bypass surgery will do more that destroy the weight, it can also tell her brain that she is not starving and she may be able to curb her painful appetite.
After her surgery, Alex's parents had to take extreme measures to keep their daughter from eating herself to death.
'She’s always hungry,' her father Ian Shapiro said. 'In the past, we’ve had to padlock the cupboard.'
Two years ago after developing Craniopharyngioma , a rare type of brain tumor that grows next to the pituitary gland, Alexis had surgery to have it removed.
This is Alexis before she had brain surgery that caused her to develop hypothalamic obesity after doing damage to her hypothalamus
More than half of children with this specific form of tumor experience similar post-operative symptoms to Alexis.
'I think it is disappointing that they cannot see the facts of this case,' said Inge, of the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.
'There is no evidence that doing nothing would be in this child’s best interests,' he continued.
According to a spokesperson for TRICARE said that gastric bypass and weight loss services are only covered of the patient is or over and has full bone growth.
'In general, our Managed Care Support Contractors are required to approve or deny coverage based on TRICARE policy,' spokesman Austin Camacho said in an email to NBC News. 'We have an appeals process in place specifically designed to give our medical professionals the opportunity to examine the details of any special cases when coverage is denied,' said the insurance company.
Alexis may be a child, but she wears a women's size 1x or 2x and she goes up a size every month. When asked by psycologists about how she is coping with her condition, she has told them she 'wants to die.'
If Alexis gets the surgery she may be able to lead a normal life again and keep off the weight
'She doesn’t have any friends or anything like that,' her mother Jenny Shapiro said. 'It’s so sad, because she remembers what it was like before.'
Alexis is in constant pain and has begun homeschooling because she is afraid of going out in public.
Doctor's believe that if Alexis has Bypass surgery, she may have a chance of leading a normal life.
Kelsie Blackwell of Indianapolis, Indiana,21, had a successful bypass surgery when she was 18 that helped her lose 100 pounds after being diagnosed with hypothalamic obesity.
Unlike Alexis, Blackwell's surgery was covered by insurance.
Alexis' parents have begun to investigate other ways to raise money for their daughter's surgery. They created a Gofundme.com account to raise enough money to cover her daughter's lifelong health costs.
'These kids will literally eat themselves to death,' Jenny Shapiro said.
'That’s what I’m scared of.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
A domestic violence suspect is accused of calling his estranged wife and threatening to kill her as she sat in the Denver District Attorney's Office ...
- Kim Kardashian's name is dragged into iCloud scandal as nude pictures surface online
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Woman accused of breaking into Tennessee elementary school cafeteria in her underwear and wielding baseball bat while screaming
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Polly Bergen, Emmy Award-winning actress, dies
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Person of interest' in hunt for missing Hannah Graham is a nursing assistant claims he did NOT drive off with her in his car...as ONE THOUSAND volunteers search for her
- Cancer-stricken mom's wish for fairytale wedding photoshoot comes true - even though there's no groom waiting and it's her three sons filling in as 'the man in her life'
- 'Leaked by some vultures': Gabrielle Union SLAMS hackers and admits she is the latest victim in new wave of nude celebrity photos posted online
- Stubborn Salmond had to jump: DONALD TRUMP on how the SNP leader did the best thing by resigning as First Minister
- Where did the green 'alien eggs' come from? Scientists baffled by UFOs (Unidentified Floating Objects) that washed up on a Sydney beach
- That's one expensive car crash: Driver writes off his friend's $400,000 Lamborghini in late night smash
- Soldier sent home from Afghanistan after filming foul-mouthed protest rap and posting it online
- £11k electric Radinn 'surfboard' lets you glide along the sea - and even rivers
- Beverley Hills mansion with 16-car garage, vodka bar, home cinema and its own candy wall goes on sale for staggering $85MILLION
- Empty morgues, abandoned wards and corridors overrun with ivy: Inside the deserted Maryland tuberculosis sanatorium where children with the deadly infection were left isolated... and some say it's haunted
- Man hauled off airliner by armed police after passenger noticed him scribbling the word 'terrorism' in his journal
- Found: The REAL Hitler diaries which astonishingly reveal how the Fuhrer's British-born nephew William Hitler went to Berlin to cash in on his connections - only to end up fighting the Nazis
- Fed-up Texas pastor holds grandmother at gunpoint who snatched packages off his porch...and police say it wasn't her first time
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Last pictures of Brit backpackers David Miller and Hannah Witheridge
- Authorities in Central California are on the hunt for five inmates who escaped from jail - and they're all considered armed and dangerous
- I thought I could beat anything. Then my doctor said: 'You have skin cancer...'
- Tiny humanoid robots are now advanced enough to FLY A PLANE, claim researchers, who think their five-inch machine could even meet Government safety guidelines
- Rodin? No, it's rodent art by Dickens' descendants! Novelist's great-great-granddaughter forges sculpture featuring 2ft rats
- Darius Wlodarski queues for 44 hours to buy iPhone 6 to win back wife
- Pope Francis arrives in Albania to boosted security presence after threats flagged to Interpol from returning militants trained in Iraq and Syria
- Biden defends Democratic Party chair fighting for her job after comparing GOP governor to a wife beater
- Senate agrees to bill including $10million information reward in deaths of James Foley and Steven Sutloff...as Obama approves training Syrian rebels fighting ISIS
- Relationships: You are publicly invited to our #insta-wedding
- Business class ONLY: Michelin-starred menus, massage chairs, luxury cosmetics and more on new boutique airline (and you won't believe what it costs!)
- Terms of Service
- Ex-Utah teacher to trial on student sex charges
- Tragedy as fire captain who got a huge electric shock after taking part in the ALS ice bucket challenge dies from his injuries
- Throat specialist allegedly involved in fatal Joan Rivers surgery is 'devastated' by the tragic incident and 'will cooperate with investigators to clear her name'
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Person of interest' in hunt for missing Hannah Graham is a nursing assistant who admits he bought her drinks but claims he did NOT drive off with her in his car
- Pictured: The world's most powerful tunnel-boring machine which is five-storeys high and stuck below the streets of Seattle
- Incredible bravery in Salt Lake City as bystanders jump into river to save teens stuck upside down in the water in wrecked SUV
- Truth of Kate's the Duchess of Cambridge's morning sickness, by DR ELLIE CANNON
- Polygamist women 'try and abduct girl set to testify against their husband at rape trial'
- Jenny McCarthy details her wedding to Donnie Wahlberg