More than 60 people injured in a mass piranha attack as they go for a Christmas day swim
- More than 20 children among injured when meat-eating fish attacked
- Piranha fish hunt in packs and can strip a carcass in seconds
- Swimmers were cooling down as temperatures in the city are 100 degrees
By Gerard Couzens
PUBLISHED: 07:36 EST, 26 December 2013 | UPDATED: 09:08 EST, 26 December 2013
A mass piranha attack left sixty people injured as they enjoy a Christmas Day swim in an Argentine river.
Dozens of bathers including more than 20 children were bitten by the shoal of meat-eating fish during the surprise attack.
A seven-year-old girl lost part of one of her fingers and a young boy was left with an open fracture in his hand.
The Parana river in Rosario, where the fish attacked scores of swimmers
Other swimmers suffered deep cuts to their ankles, fingers and hands.
The attack happened on Christmas Day on a popular beach on the Parana River in the city of Rosario, birthplace of Barcelona striker Messi.
Swimmers trying to cool down in 100 degrees temperatures raced out of the water bleeding from wounds and shouting for help while the parents of children in the water rushed to their aid to drag them to safety.
Coastguards called paramedics so they could assist the most seriously injured before police temporarily closed off the beach, forcing people out of the water who continued to swim despite the danger.
The city of Rosario in Argentina, where the swimmers were attacked on Christmas Day
The attack, blamed on a piranha cousin called palometas, was the most serious of its kind in the city since 2008 when 40 swimmers were hurt.
Paramedic Gustavo Centurion described them as 'very aggressive.'
The meat-eating fish are reported to have been attracted to the coast by debris left by local fishermen.
Local government spokesman Ricardo Biasatti described the attack as a rarity.
He said: 'This sort of event in this area is absolutely sporadic.
'It was the conjunction of two factors, a shoal that passed very briefly through an area full of people.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Trace Adkins' wife sets the scene for a bitter divorce with restraining order - as he's linked with curvacious blonde co-star
- Dane Witherspoon, soap opera star, dies at 56
- Future 'Indiana Jones' movies may recast Bradley Cooper as Indy
- Rapper Christ Bearer cuts off his own penis and jumps off building in suicide attempt
- Behind the scenes at WGN America’s ‘Salem’ ahead of Sunday premiere
- Remembering Loveland Pass avalanche victims one year later
- Meet Ponzu and Ichimi the adorable dog and cat who behave like father and daughter
- American parents heartbroken as Congolese government refuses to hand over orphans they adopted a year ago
- Captain America beats up the competition at the box office for third straight weekend while Johnny Depp disappoints again
- Teen whose heart stopped on HS baseball field returns to his team
- X-Ray of friendly stray dog rescued reveals horrific abuse suffered in the past as it captures more than 50 BB gun pellets
- White jeans that won't stain? FEMAIL takes new liquid repellent denim for a test drive with a cup of coffee
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Man pictured at monster truck rally drinking can of beer and bottle of syrup because he's diabetic
- Husband and wife, both police officers in Chicago, dead in apparent murder-suicide
- Pueblo County welcomes pot enthusiasts on 4/20
- 'Avengers 2': First glimpses of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver from 'Age of Ultron'
- Meet Crabster, the giant robotic CRAB that will revolutionise underwater exploration
- Relisha Rudd, eight, last seen nearly a month ago with a janitor posing as a doctor is now feared dead as police reveal her suspected kidnapper bought TRASH BAGS a day after her disappearance
- Three candidates for Fire Board meet with community; Three withdraw, citing dirty politics
- Search for missing father and son in Echo Lake area called off
- 'Dexter' actress Jennifer Carpenter to develop new series 'Death Class'
- UNC in Greeley to open pet-friendly dorm
- Auto-motorcycle crash closes Highway 2 in Commerce City
- Ohio teacher fired after telling black student he didn't need another black president after Obama
- Llama found dead; group boasts about kill on Facebook
- Kate Bush criticised over poster of herself being rescued from sea
- E*Trade talking baby says 'bye-bye'
- Father dies but two teen girls survive Florida plane crash
- Topless Femen protesters draggedout of Berlin's Islamic Week meeting
- Colorado native headed to International Space Station today
- Adreian Payne's friendship with Lacey Holsworth fighting cancer
- Fireman struggle to remove metal nut from Chinese boy's finger
- 'It didn't really hurt too much': Brave 9-year-old boy recovering with 80 stitches from a SHARK BITE says he surf again
- Achoo! Snow melting from the polar vortex will
- Looking for love? Try sniffing someone's ARMPIT: Scent reveals vital secrets about a potential partner's health
- Jessa Duggar on double date with boyfriend's parents: 'awkward' [VIDEO]
- Deb’s Mommy blog: Getting ready for our new baby
- Britain's youngest parents: Mother, 12, gives birth to 7lb baby girl after falling pregnant at primary school to a boy aged 13
- New York woman accidentally steals car while helping daughter
- 'Slam dunk of silence' for Princess Lacey, 8, at emotional tribute
- Smoky Hill High School evacuated for isolated hazmat situation; no injuries reported
- Scenes of the crimes: Incredible 'forensic' images dating back to 1925 unearthed for the first time from hidden LAPD archive
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Rockies fans endure cold temps for Opening Day tickets
- L'Wren Scott's brother moves her funeral to Los Angeles at the request of heartbroken Mick Jagger
- Mother's touch: Memories of childhood preserved forever as photographer captures moments of wonder and joy in the lives of her two young daughters
- Woman 'tricks' her boyfriend and entire Canadian town into believing that she is pregnant with QUADRUPLETS