Florida's smallest ever baby who weighed just 14oz when he was born 16 weeks early finally comes home in time for the holidays
- Connor Sorensen has spent six months in hospital since his early arrival
- Dad Eric could slip wedding band round son's leg when he was first born
- Baby boy now weights a healthier 6lb 5oz
By Jessica Jerreat
PUBLISHED: 01:53 EST, 26 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:54 EST, 26 December 2013
Connor Sorensen was the smallest baby to ever be born at Orlando's Hospital for Children, but he has defied all odds to survive - and even made it home for Christmas.
Tiny Connor has needed round-the-clock care for the past six months after he was born 16 weeks early and weighing only 14oz.
After months of anxiety for his parents, Holly and Eric Sorensen, Connor was well enough to finally go home for the first time this week.
Christmas gift: Connor Sorensen, who was born 16 weeks early, has finally been able to go home with his parents
Tiny miracle: Connor, pictured gently holding his mom's finger in July, weighed just 14oz when he was born
Mrs Sorensen was just 24 weeks' pregnant when she had Connor. Doctors told her to take plenty of pictures of her newborn in case he didn't survive.
When he first arrived, Connor's limbs were so tiny that his father could easily slip his wedding band around his leg.
'It is amazing to look back on that photo and see how far he has come,' Mr Sorensen told Click Orlando, adding: 'We are so proud of him and every day we call him our little fighter.'
Since his birth on June 24 Connor has defied all odds, and overcome several surgeries on his underdeveloped digestive system.
By the time he was released from hospital he weighed a healthy 6lb 5oz and doctors say in just a couple of months he will be as healthy as a normal baby.
Big day: After six months in hospital Connor has gone home with parents Holly and Eric Sorensen
Fragile: Eric Sorensen could fit his wedding band around his son's leg when Connor was first born
Making progress: Doctors said Connor had only a one in three chance of survival but the baby has defied all odds
'Given how small he was, we weren’t sure what would happen. It truly is a blessing to be going home,' Mrs Sorensen said earlier this week, as she prepared to finally take her baby home.
The couple had been dreaming of starting a family for nearly eight years when Mrs Sorensen found out she was pregnant.
But complications meant she had to have an emergency cesarean at just 24 weeks. When her son was delivered the couple were told he had only a one in three chance of survival.
'It was a great feeling to beat the odds. Especially right on time for Christmas,' Mr Sorensen told ABC 7. The couple said they couldn't thank the hospital enough for their 'gift'.
'It’s so amazing that the technology is
available and the skill and knowledge of the nurses and physicians were
all in one place,' Mrs Sorensen said.
Growing strong: Connor has made amazing progress after being the smallest baby born in Orlando, above, to becoming the happy little boy ready to go home for Christmas, below
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
‘Virtual autopsy’ composed of more than 2,000 computer scans carried outGenetic analysis of Tutankhamun’s family showed his parents were brother and sisterFamily history could also ...
- Body of California man found 'after suffering heart attack and being EATEN by bear'
- Husband who joked about his ex-wife contracting Ebola in West Africa is thrown in JAIL
- Hannah Graham 'body' buried in a dried up creek bed in the woods prime suspect used to call home: Accused killer Jesse Matthews grew up just miles from where remains were found
- The Taliban boy aged just THREE being trained for war who says he's 'going to shoot people'
- Is this the most aggressive haka in rugby history? Players have to be separated by officials at Australia vs New Zealand junior league game
- Ohio girl who cut off her hair to give to cancer patients has to be taken out of school after being bullied and told she's ugly
- State senator arrested TWICE in the same weekend for 'stalking' a frightened neighbor and TPing her house... just a month after he was caught drinking in public while sitting uninvited in other people's yards
- Woman, 21, stabbed to death by 22-year-old girlfriend in parking lot after they got into argument while driving home in Utah at 1am
- Afghan villager whose rescue of US Navy SEAL was fictionalized in Mark Wahlberg movie Lone Survivor is marked for death by Taliban
- 'Glee' star Matthew Morrison weds in Hawaii
- Chicago police officer pulled out of his car at 5.45am by cop colleagues and charged with drunk driving down the freeway in the WRONG DIRECTION
- Firefighters remove bricks and use dish soap as lubricant to remove a woman allegedly trying to burglarize a California home and got stuck in the chimney
- Man, 33, 'leaps to his death from a Manhattan high rise after arguing with his two male lovers'
- Father who killed himself and two children in horrific murder-suicide wrote journals claiming his WIFE was a 'violent alcoholic' who 'abused' their kids
- Parents' dilemma after adopted son, 12, molests their SIX other children after 'state failed to reveal his troubled past'...but the fiercely devoted couple refuse to give up on the boy
- Hilarious moment thieves steal portable toilet by pushing it with their car
- In the clear: First 48 people exposed to Ebola 'patient zero' - including his fiancée and her children - emerge from quarantine after being declared disease free following 21-day incubation period
- California man enters a burning house to rescue an elderly man
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Former US Navy shipmates reunite after 40 YEARS of searching
- Ebola: Statement stricken Amber Vinson, who was 'in no way careless' for going to Ohio while sick - as 153 people in Ohio put under monitoring over contact with her
- Immigrant caught trying to sneak across the border in a WASHING MACHINE
- Joe Montana's son Nick makes 'one of the worst mental blunders' of the college football season
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Woman goes a week without apologizing and finds it's hardest at work
- Vile image of baby girl being 'beheaded' found by Kurds on phone taken from dead ISIS fanatics in Kobane
- Drunk-driving dentist arrested for 'performing a procedure on a patient while he was drunk' and refusing to stop when authorities approached him
- Teacher Tracy Marie Barras is accused of sending naked photos to students and performing oral sex
- ISIS fighters taking heavy losses in battle for Kobane
- Yeonmi Park opens up in harrowing speech about North Korea's brutal regime
- Al Sharpton is returning to Ferguson to draw national attention to the death of Michael Brown
- Terms of Service
- New Hampshire pumpkin festival turns into a riot as police tear gas the unruly crowd
- Legendary retired football coach killed in car crash outside a football game his son was coaching 'after wife lost control of their car'
- 'She was my angel': Mother's anguish as her 6-year-old daughter is killed in drive-by shooting at 7-Eleven parking lot while opening a pack of bubble gum
- Confederate pomp amid burial of slave's daughter who fought for recognition of blacks who worked for the South
- Heartless vandal defaces 9/11 memorial dedicated to hero cops
- Transgender teen first in the state of Georgia to be elected to high school's homecoming court
- Five football coaches are suspended from their teaching jobs at high school embroiled in sick hazing scandal... but will KEEP THEIR PAY during the investigation
- Lifelong Giants fan who caught home run ball that sent San Francisco to the World Series gives it to hitter Travis Ishikawa
- New York toddler is 'beaten to death by her mother's boyfriend after she accidentally soiled herself'... as a neighbor claims she 'reported weeks' worth of fights between the couple but got no response'
- Soccer mad teenager gives up a prize of $10,000 to meet her idol, Brazilian soccer star Neymar da Silva Santos
- 'Disgusted' student volunteers clean up after classmates trash college campus in violent riots at pumpkin carving festival that were broken up by tear-gas wielding police
- Model helps police set up sting operation on celebrity nude photo hacker who told her to pay $900 or have her naked body exposed to the world
- Gore blimey! Mother-of-three uses face paint to transform herself into creepy characters for scary selfies
- Los Angeles nanny Dana Cash is caught on camera abusing one-year-old twins
- I shot Michael Brown dead because I feared for my life after he tried to grab my gun, says cop who shot unarmed black teen six times
- The scientific reason why passengers are badly behaved on planes