Florida's smallest ever baby who weighed just 14oz when he was born 16 weeks early finally comes home in time for the holidays
- Connor Sorensen has spent six months in hospital since his early arrival
- Dad Eric could slip wedding band round son's leg when he was first born
- Baby boy now weights a healthier 6lb 5oz
By Jessica Jerreat
PUBLISHED: 01:53 EST, 26 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:54 EST, 26 December 2013
Connor Sorensen was the smallest baby to ever be born at Orlando's Hospital for Children, but he has defied all odds to survive - and even made it home for Christmas.
Tiny Connor has needed round-the-clock care for the past six months after he was born 16 weeks early and weighing only 14oz.
After months of anxiety for his parents, Holly and Eric Sorensen, Connor was well enough to finally go home for the first time this week.
Christmas gift: Connor Sorensen, who was born 16 weeks early, has finally been able to go home with his parents
Tiny miracle: Connor, pictured gently holding his mom's finger in July, weighed just 14oz when he was born
Mrs Sorensen was just 24 weeks' pregnant when she had Connor. Doctors told her to take plenty of pictures of her newborn in case he didn't survive.
When he first arrived, Connor's limbs were so tiny that his father could easily slip his wedding band around his leg.
'It is amazing to look back on that photo and see how far he has come,' Mr Sorensen told Click Orlando, adding: 'We are so proud of him and every day we call him our little fighter.'
Since his birth on June 24 Connor has defied all odds, and overcome several surgeries on his underdeveloped digestive system.
By the time he was released from hospital he weighed a healthy 6lb 5oz and doctors say in just a couple of months he will be as healthy as a normal baby.
Big day: After six months in hospital Connor has gone home with parents Holly and Eric Sorensen
Fragile: Eric Sorensen could fit his wedding band around his son's leg when Connor was first born
Making progress: Doctors said Connor had only a one in three chance of survival but the baby has defied all odds
'Given how small he was, we weren’t sure what would happen. It truly is a blessing to be going home,' Mrs Sorensen said earlier this week, as she prepared to finally take her baby home.
The couple had been dreaming of starting a family for nearly eight years when Mrs Sorensen found out she was pregnant.
But complications meant she had to have an emergency cesarean at just 24 weeks. When her son was delivered the couple were told he had only a one in three chance of survival.
'It was a great feeling to beat the odds. Especially right on time for Christmas,' Mr Sorensen told ABC 7. The couple said they couldn't thank the hospital enough for their 'gift'.
'It’s so amazing that the technology is
available and the skill and knowledge of the nurses and physicians were
all in one place,' Mrs Sorensen said.
Growing strong: Connor has made amazing progress after being the smallest baby born in Orlando, above, to becoming the happy little boy ready to go home for Christmas, below
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Man sentenced for second sexual exploitation of a child charge
- Why are the cellphones of missing Malaysian Airlines passengers still ringing? Family members claim that loved ones smartphones are still active
- The strange life of Richard Parker, the 'mail bomber' accused of killing in-laws
- Who's afraid of the big dead wolf? Children react as animal is DISSECTED, days after country's zoo was criticised for killing a giraffe
- Adorable baby dresses up as all your favorite TV characters
- Father calls 911 for help after enraged cat attacks baby then bails whole family - including DOG - up in bedroom
- Google Glass has new rival with fashionable Icis smart specs
- Terror fears over missing 777 grow: Identities of ANOTHER two passengers probed as suspicion falls on four who booked with Chinese airline
- Mayim Bialik defends public breastfeeding
- The sickening smile of the teen accused of the 'satanic ritual murder' of a 15-year-old girl who was kidnapped, raped and then bashed to death with the lid of a toilet
- Joanna Dennehy: Laughing serial killer jailed for life
- Young blonde says missing Malaysia Airlines pilot invited her and her friend to ride in the cockpit with him for entire flight in 2011
- 'Whatever you do don't get the McCafe!' Fast food workers reveal the foods you should never order
- Missing Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 plane collided with another plane 2 years ago
- Twin sisters Lucy and Anna DeCinque pay £130k to make them look more similar
- Steve Irwin's cameraman Justin Lyons reveals his final words
- Naked ambition: Hundreds of skinny dippers attempt world record for the largest nude ocean swim on Sydney beach
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- DNA testing could reveal identity of Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa
- Michael Rockefeller WAS eaten by cannibals who kept his bones as souvenirs, claims Carl Hoffman who says his years of research proves that the Dutch covered up 1961 murder in New Guinea
- Trial begins for man, 51, 'who killed his sister and brother-in-law 26 years ago because he was worried she would reveal they had sex as teenagers'
- Ellen Degeneres prompts mixed reviews as Oscars 2014 host
- Explosion at VA Hospital construction site rocks Aurora neighborhood
- Homeowner releases video of realtors having sex '10 TIMES' in his property
- Protesters discover treasures at Viktor Yanukovych's home
- Pshonka's palace a treasure trove of total opulence: Journalists and protestors enter his estate to find extravaganza of luxury
- Texas boys confess to classmate's murder after police catch them hiding body
- Does final call to married 'lover' hold key to missing girl's disappearance? Man, 38, said to be romantically linked to Heather, 20, admits he spoke to her on night she vanished as he and wife are charged for obstructing justice
- Ferrari parked in London square gouged by lorry tailgate
- Reunited: Descendants of 12 Years a Slave man Solomon Northup
- Community leaders demand changes in use of force policy at Denver Jail
- Family of 21-year-old who was strangled and raped while six-months' pregnant campaign to overturn law that let her killer avoid murder charge because he was drunk
- Cayden Taipalus, 8, pays off all his classmates' overdue lunch bills in 'Pay It Forward' campaign
- Couple accused of killing Nancy Pfister in court for first tine
- Coroner IDs school bus driver killed in crash on US 285
- Kansas City-area spelling bee finally ends after 95 rounds
- Oscar Pistorius might not have KILLED his girlfriend deliberately
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Fast food employees accuse Moschino of 'mocking' minimum wage earners
- Jasmine Joseph missing as parents reveal she hadn't been to college since last May
- 'Putin is playing chess, we're playing MARBLES': Weak Obama has been out-foxed by Russian PM over Ukraine, says politicians from both parties as head of Kiev's navy defects to Moscow
- Ace Hotel founder was found dead surrounded by bottle of spirits and a make-shift crack pipe in one of his own hotel rooms
- Detroit man James Brown convicted of killing 4 women from escort site
- Coroner identifies 3 killed in suspected Thornton double-murder suicide
- Leeches sucked away my aches and pains! Sceptical? So was Claudia Connell until she tried the latest health fad
- Crowdpilot app lets ANYONE listen in on your phone calls and give advice
- Former CNN journalist Miles O'Brien reveals he had his arm AMPUTATED after freak injury caused by falling luggage
- Radio Shack closing 1,100 stores after reporting sales fell 19%
- Tiger Woods hits fan in head with opening tee shot... and then another
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Cornell Robinson, Devery Kelley accused of robbing pregnant woman in labor in Maryland
- Father needed hospital treatment for three inch gash in his head after being attacked by his neighbour's cat because it hated his Hugo Boss AFTERSHAVE
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Business student 'posed on online dating sites as a high-flying engineer and architect to dupe love-struck women from around the world out of £186,000'
- Children undergo traditional 'lucky haircuts' in China (but don't seem happy about it!)
- And the Oscar goes to Samsung, Twitter AND Apple: How Ellen's backstage iPhone antics took the gloss off the now famous A-list selfie retweet taken on rival Galaxy smartphone
- Pictured: The men who stole the car of woman in labor at gunpoint
- Unseasonably warm weather set to make 1,000-mile Iditarod race even MORE grueling as mushers set off