Florida's smallest ever baby who weighed just 14oz when he was born 16 weeks early finally comes home in time for the holidays
- Connor Sorensen has spent six months in hospital since his early arrival
- Dad Eric could slip wedding band round son's leg when he was first born
- Baby boy now weights a healthier 6lb 5oz
By Jessica Jerreat
PUBLISHED: 01:53 EST, 26 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:54 EST, 26 December 2013
Connor Sorensen was the smallest baby to ever be born at Orlando's Hospital for Children, but he has defied all odds to survive - and even made it home for Christmas.
Tiny Connor has needed round-the-clock care for the past six months after he was born 16 weeks early and weighing only 14oz.
After months of anxiety for his parents, Holly and Eric Sorensen, Connor was well enough to finally go home for the first time this week.
Christmas gift: Connor Sorensen, who was born 16 weeks early, has finally been able to go home with his parents
Tiny miracle: Connor, pictured gently holding his mom's finger in July, weighed just 14oz when he was born
Mrs Sorensen was just 24 weeks' pregnant when she had Connor. Doctors told her to take plenty of pictures of her newborn in case he didn't survive.
When he first arrived, Connor's limbs were so tiny that his father could easily slip his wedding band around his leg.
'It is amazing to look back on that photo and see how far he has come,' Mr Sorensen told Click Orlando, adding: 'We are so proud of him and every day we call him our little fighter.'
Since his birth on June 24 Connor has defied all odds, and overcome several surgeries on his underdeveloped digestive system.
By the time he was released from hospital he weighed a healthy 6lb 5oz and doctors say in just a couple of months he will be as healthy as a normal baby.
Big day: After six months in hospital Connor has gone home with parents Holly and Eric Sorensen
Fragile: Eric Sorensen could fit his wedding band around his son's leg when Connor was first born
Making progress: Doctors said Connor had only a one in three chance of survival but the baby has defied all odds
'Given how small he was, we weren’t sure what would happen. It truly is a blessing to be going home,' Mrs Sorensen said earlier this week, as she prepared to finally take her baby home.
The couple had been dreaming of starting a family for nearly eight years when Mrs Sorensen found out she was pregnant.
But complications meant she had to have an emergency cesarean at just 24 weeks. When her son was delivered the couple were told he had only a one in three chance of survival.
'It was a great feeling to beat the odds. Especially right on time for Christmas,' Mr Sorensen told ABC 7. The couple said they couldn't thank the hospital enough for their 'gift'.
'It’s so amazing that the technology is
available and the skill and knowledge of the nurses and physicians were
all in one place,' Mrs Sorensen said.
Growing strong: Connor has made amazing progress after being the smallest baby born in Orlando, above, to becoming the happy little boy ready to go home for Christmas, below
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Southern Charm finale introduces Thomas Ravenel and Kathryn Dennis' baby girl
- Al Roker's bicep needed to be reattached after rotator cuff surgery
- Kate and William interrupt their Australian visit to express their sadness over the death of Camilla's brother Mark Shand
- Chinatown's American Dream: Cramped migrant workers sleep cramped together in tiny $9-a-night cubicles, while families share meals in a space the size of a cuboard
- Whoopi Goldberg writes of marijuana use, love of vape pen
- Dr. Zyad Younan refuses to pay $135k strip club bill because he claims he was 'drugged'
- Sharny Kieser encourages women to have a bikini shoot after losing pregnancy weight
- How leaving NEGATIVE online reviews boosts sales: Honest feedback makes shoppers more likely to buy products
- The secret to happiness? Visit a library... and avoid the gym: Study finds which activities most boost our contentment
- Fugitive killed in Oregon had 'moveable dungeon'
- Bachelorette contestant Eric Hill dies three days after paragliding accident
- Man accused of firing a gun at Kent State University and forcing campus into lockdown 'taken into custody at hospital'
- Coroner confirms two drivers killed in Littleton crash
- Three candidates for Fire Board meet with community; Three withdraw, citing dirty politics
- 'It was like a war zone': Armed private militias join the battle between southern Nevada's last rancher and federal agents
- Men turn into their dad at 38 (owning a 'man drawer' and believing all modern music sounds the same are the warning signs)
- Bachelorette contestant left comatose in critical condition after paragliding accident
- 4th grade students accused to trying to sell pot at Greeley school
- Peaches Geldof found dead at home
- Beverly Hills Hotel boycott over Sultan of Brunei's plan to stone gays
- South Korea ferry disaster victims memorial at Ansan Olympic Memorial Museum
- Adam Pearson hopes to beat prejudice after Under The Skin
- She really WAS pregnant! Southern Charm's disgraced South Carolina politician and much younger girlfriend DID have a baby despite show's pregnancy scare false alarm
- Scientists develop 3D jellifed 'smoothfood' that looks just like our everyday meals
- Hawaii stowaway boy's friends speak out after his 'miracle' flight as it emerges that he spent six hours undetected by security cameras and guards at San Jose airport
- Outrage as a pair of ex-convict squatters take over Florida home of Afghan war veteran and refuse to leave
- Guess they didn't want to call her Cthulhu: Parents who let the INTERNET decide their baby's name opt for No. 2 choice Amelia
- Hickenlooper responds to Christie's pot comments
- Sonar cameras capture first high-res images of two American ships sunk in Operation Tiger D-Day attack that claimed 749 lives lying in pieces at bottom of English Channel
- Painkillers linked to higher risk of stroke: Alert over prescription medicines used by millions
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Oprah Winfrey's stepmother says relationship between her, Gayle and Stedman is 'unhealthy'
- Daughter charged with cruelty after police found her 87-year-old mother 'living in dirt and feces with bedsores infected to the bone'
- Ex-college football players beat 50-year-old homeless man unconscious and wouldn't stop kicking and punching until stopped by Good Samaritan who shielded the victim
- Manitou Springs will use solar garden to power city buildings
- Hope the dog SET ON FIRE by its owner making slow recovery in intensive care unit at Tampa veterinary hospital
- DPS first in country to hire undocumented immigrant as teachers through partnership
- Trisha Yearwood and Garth Brooks put Brentwood home on sale for $2.2m
- Explosion reported at Wyo. gas plant; Town of Opal evacuated
- Exercise video with dancing poodles goes viral... 10 years after it first came out
- Kate, the hands-on mother! Duchess wipes teething George's saliva on her own designer outfit
- Suspect arrested after gunfire reported near Arvada school
- Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand dies after fall outside NY club
- 'Avengers 2': First glimpses of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver from 'Age of Ultron'
- 'My beautiful baby sister... Gone but never forgotten. I love you, Peaches': Fifi Geldof's heartbreaking tribute as 'police find no drugs, suicide note, or visible signs of injury'
- Lawmakers ask for state audit of U.S. 36 privatization deal
- Relisha Rudd, eight, last seen nearly a month ago with a janitor posing as a doctor is now feared dead as police reveal her suspected kidnapper bought TRASH BAGS a day after her disappearance
- Here's what happens when an alligator tries to eat an electric eel, and gets stunned with HUNDREDS of volts of electricity
- 'We were not reckless!' Defiant parents of sick baby rescued by multi-million dollar US warship 900 miles off Mexican coast say they are 'proud' and not embarrassed
Death toll in Washington mudslide 'rises to 24' with dozens still missing: Hope fades that any survivors will be found as rescuers recover two more bodies and believe they have located eight others 'underground' (0)
Exotic dancers at gentleman's club in San Diego say police officers violated their civil rights by 'forcing them to stay at the strip club against their will so they could take revealing pictures' during a raid (0)