Florida's smallest ever baby who weighed just 14oz when he was born 16 weeks early finally comes home in time for the holidays
- Connor Sorensen has spent six months in hospital since his early arrival
- Dad Eric could slip wedding band round son's leg when he was first born
- Baby boy now weights a healthier 6lb 5oz
By Jessica Jerreat
PUBLISHED: 01:53 EST, 26 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:54 EST, 26 December 2013
Connor Sorensen was the smallest baby to ever be born at Orlando's Hospital for Children, but he has defied all odds to survive - and even made it home for Christmas.
Tiny Connor has needed round-the-clock care for the past six months after he was born 16 weeks early and weighing only 14oz.
After months of anxiety for his parents, Holly and Eric Sorensen, Connor was well enough to finally go home for the first time this week.
Christmas gift: Connor Sorensen, who was born 16 weeks early, has finally been able to go home with his parents
Tiny miracle: Connor, pictured gently holding his mom's finger in July, weighed just 14oz when he was born
Mrs Sorensen was just 24 weeks' pregnant when she had Connor. Doctors told her to take plenty of pictures of her newborn in case he didn't survive.
When he first arrived, Connor's limbs were so tiny that his father could easily slip his wedding band around his leg.
'It is amazing to look back on that photo and see how far he has come,' Mr Sorensen told Click Orlando, adding: 'We are so proud of him and every day we call him our little fighter.'
Since his birth on June 24 Connor has defied all odds, and overcome several surgeries on his underdeveloped digestive system.
By the time he was released from hospital he weighed a healthy 6lb 5oz and doctors say in just a couple of months he will be as healthy as a normal baby.
Big day: After six months in hospital Connor has gone home with parents Holly and Eric Sorensen
Fragile: Eric Sorensen could fit his wedding band around his son's leg when Connor was first born
Making progress: Doctors said Connor had only a one in three chance of survival but the baby has defied all odds
'Given how small he was, we weren’t sure what would happen. It truly is a blessing to be going home,' Mrs Sorensen said earlier this week, as she prepared to finally take her baby home.
The couple had been dreaming of starting a family for nearly eight years when Mrs Sorensen found out she was pregnant.
But complications meant she had to have an emergency cesarean at just 24 weeks. When her son was delivered the couple were told he had only a one in three chance of survival.
'It was a great feeling to beat the odds. Especially right on time for Christmas,' Mr Sorensen told ABC 7. The couple said they couldn't thank the hospital enough for their 'gift'.
'It’s so amazing that the technology is
available and the skill and knowledge of the nurses and physicians were
all in one place,' Mrs Sorensen said.
Growing strong: Connor has made amazing progress after being the smallest baby born in Orlando, above, to becoming the happy little boy ready to go home for Christmas, below
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Romanian footballer's girlfriend in row over animal cruelty after posting bizarre picture of pet puppy nibbling her bra
Madalina Pamfile, 21, is girlfriend of AC Milan midfielder Cristian DaminutaShe posted picture of dog nibbling breast alongside caption: 'My new love'Later wrote: Envy is ...
- Malibu Beach surfer successfully swaps his board MID SURF before getting wiped out
- How middle-aged mother Sally Jones from Chatham may have 'reinvented herself as a jihadi'
- Woman is killed along with her three children and boyfriend in plane crash near Erie airport
- Jennifer Lawrence victim of hacker who leaks slew of graphic nude photos of Oscar winning actress and 'dozens of A-listers'
- Did iCloud's 'Find My iPhone' function help hackers steal celebrities' 'nude' photos? Flaw may have exposed hundreds of images
- Would you sell YOUR privacy for $100 a month? Market researchers scrutinise web searches and viewing habits for a fee
- Bryan Hamade denies he's the hacker who leaked celebrity nude photos
- Iraqi TV's cartoon satire on terror, ISIS, and jihadis
- Indonesian student six years jail for calling city 'stupid' social media
- Three American captives held in North Korea say their plight is 'urgent' and beg U.S. government for help in new interview
- Israel under fire for 'largest West Bank land grab in 30 years' as soldiers swoop on 1,000 acres of Palestinian territory
- New York's West Indian Day Parade again marred by violence - this time before it even starts
- Joan Rivers joked about 'going in for procedure' the night before operation
- Louisiana TV host shot dead by son-in-law who was also believed to be his lover in alleged murder-suicide attempt
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Dance teacher accused of molesting pupil and running 'cult' school shot dead in his Louisiana home by son-in-law who was also his former lover
- White British girl who's now a 'celebrity jihadi': Mother-of-two a 'top priority' for MI6 and she calls on Muslims to join the terror group
- Gym teacher sentenced to 20 months in prison for two-year sexual relationship she had with 15-year-old male student
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Staten Island teen dead under mysterious circumstances when he collapses during football practice
- Nordic diet volunteers lost three times as much weight as others
- Gym teacher at top New York Catholic school 'had affairs with her male students for years'
- Mother accused of killing her severely disabled daughter, eight, could still inherit $1 million of her trust fund even if she is convicted
- When does a houseboat become just a house? As California is hit with one of its worst droughts in decades scientists warn they could soon last up to 30 years at a time
- New wave of leaks plague celebrities as authorities prove unable to stop spread while some suggest naked photos were passed around users in an online CLUB for months
- David Cameron unveils new terror crackdown as Scots girl incites massacre on Britain
- 'I was desperate to have a baby'. Aussie mum gives birth 3 years after husbands death
- Harmful chemical linked to factory lung condition is found in e-cigarette liquid
- 'I threw up before I walked her down the aisle': Dad of woman who helped kill 3 honors victims as he says he was always against her marriage to the man he says 'brainwashed' her
- Will Saudi Arabia MOVE Prophet Muhammad's remains?
- Zelda Williams returns to Twitter with a poignant message
- Me and JFK - now it can be told: How NORA EPHRON was the only White House intern Kennedy didn't make a pass at (...maybe it was the dress that looked like processed cheese)
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Doctors fear stroke could leave Joan Rivers as 'either a vegetable or in a wheelchair' as they begin process to bring her out of coma which will take until Tuesday
- 'We're all lucky to be alive': Miracle baby born in middle of fatal flood which destroyed family's home and wiped away half a town almost one year ago
- The curse of having wonky eyebrows: Uneven brows get worse as you age - now there's a cunning way to straighten them
- 'The colour of his skin is of no concern - Jonah being a healthy and happy baby is what matters': White child is born to black mother - beating odds of a million-to-one
- 'It seems as if I lack the Kennedy charm': Intimate letters by a teenage Bobby Kennedy show how he worried about his love life and admired big brother John
- California high school drops controversial snarling 'Arab' mascot and belly-dancing genie sidekick - but keeps the nickname
- Revealed: David Bowie's first US tour was a disaster because he forgot to get a work visa and couldn't play gigs
- 'If I want to I can take Kiev in a fortnight': Putin's threat to Europe revealed by EU boss as Ukraine loses control of key airport
- You CAN train your brain to like healthy foods: Researchers reveal diet that can kick junk food addiction
- Top 10 hotel suites in the world revealed