Florida's smallest ever baby who weighed just 14oz when he was born 16 weeks early finally comes home in time for the holidays
- Connor Sorensen has spent six months in hospital since his early arrival
- Dad Eric could slip wedding band round son's leg when he was first born
- Baby boy now weights a healthier 6lb 5oz
By Jessica Jerreat
PUBLISHED: 01:53 EST, 26 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:54 EST, 26 December 2013
Connor Sorensen was the smallest baby to ever be born at Orlando's Hospital for Children, but he has defied all odds to survive - and even made it home for Christmas.
Tiny Connor has needed round-the-clock care for the past six months after he was born 16 weeks early and weighing only 14oz.
After months of anxiety for his parents, Holly and Eric Sorensen, Connor was well enough to finally go home for the first time this week.
Christmas gift: Connor Sorensen, who was born 16 weeks early, has finally been able to go home with his parents
Tiny miracle: Connor, pictured gently holding his mom's finger in July, weighed just 14oz when he was born
Mrs Sorensen was just 24 weeks' pregnant when she had Connor. Doctors told her to take plenty of pictures of her newborn in case he didn't survive.
When he first arrived, Connor's limbs were so tiny that his father could easily slip his wedding band around his leg.
'It is amazing to look back on that photo and see how far he has come,' Mr Sorensen told Click Orlando, adding: 'We are so proud of him and every day we call him our little fighter.'
Since his birth on June 24 Connor has defied all odds, and overcome several surgeries on his underdeveloped digestive system.
By the time he was released from hospital he weighed a healthy 6lb 5oz and doctors say in just a couple of months he will be as healthy as a normal baby.
Big day: After six months in hospital Connor has gone home with parents Holly and Eric Sorensen
Fragile: Eric Sorensen could fit his wedding band around his son's leg when Connor was first born
Making progress: Doctors said Connor had only a one in three chance of survival but the baby has defied all odds
'Given how small he was, we weren’t sure what would happen. It truly is a blessing to be going home,' Mrs Sorensen said earlier this week, as she prepared to finally take her baby home.
The couple had been dreaming of starting a family for nearly eight years when Mrs Sorensen found out she was pregnant.
But complications meant she had to have an emergency cesarean at just 24 weeks. When her son was delivered the couple were told he had only a one in three chance of survival.
'It was a great feeling to beat the odds. Especially right on time for Christmas,' Mr Sorensen told ABC 7. The couple said they couldn't thank the hospital enough for their 'gift'.
'It’s so amazing that the technology is
available and the skill and knowledge of the nurses and physicians were
all in one place,' Mrs Sorensen said.
Growing strong: Connor has made amazing progress after being the smallest baby born in Orlando, above, to becoming the happy little boy ready to go home for Christmas, below
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
NEW YORK, Nov. 26 (UPI) -- Tori Spelling wants to continue True Tori. The 41-year-old actress said as much in an interview with The Meredith Vieira ...
- One Direction debut at number one on US Billboard charts with first four albums
- The women wholl do anything to have whiter skin
- Cricketer Phil Hughes dead at 25, two days after he was struck in the head by a ball as shattered teammates console each other on Australian cricket's darkest day
- Ferguson's Darren Wilson is first 6'4, 210lb child in history says Piers Morgan
- Cricketer Phil Hughes dead at 25, two days after he was struck in the head by a ball bowled by Sean Abbott as shattered teammates console each other on Australian cricket's darkest day
- Donna Motsinger, 73, comes out as 'Jane Doe No 8' in 2005 civil suit accusing Bill Cosby of drugging and raping her in 1971
- Terms of Service
- Crumbling faces of addiction: Horrifying GIFs show the heavy toll drug addiction takes on human body over time
- Romainian mother of three mixed raced children who fled two countries before arriving in Australia
- Wrecked: Eager new car owner smashes rare $1.15M McLaren one DAY after picking it up
- Siddhartha Dhar claims he 'can't love my mum because she's not Muslim'
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Wall street trader Brad Zipper got a restraining order to break up with his girlfriend Nicole Raef
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Chinese businessman builds luxury flats for his old village for free
- Mother-of-two whose bakery was vandalized in Ferguson riots receives more than $190K in donations in just one day
- Ferguson officer Darren Wilson's family tell of receiving death threats.
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Ferguson man attacked with his oxygen supply and then run over
- Darren Wilson's attorneys brand 'hands-up' version of shooting 'total bull' and reveal how Ferguson cop would venture out in disguise while in hiding
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Pennsylvania woman arrested in revenge plot to have her sister, sister's boyfriend, and daughter's ex-boyfriend killed by a hitman in revenge for her daughter's miscarriage
- Ferguson plotters 'planned to assassinate city's police chief and prosecuting attorney before bombing St. Louis'
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- My eyes are up here! Bill Clinton caught 'not paying attention' in selfie with attractive brunette
- Lake Michigan lighthouse turned into ice-sculpture by freezing waters
- My evil twin made me! Teen accused of 'leaving 85-year-old man tied to a coffee table for 20 hours while she went on a shopping spree' blames incident on sister who brought her along on 'sugar daddy' date
- Stepdad of missing mom charged with murder when her body is discovered on his property
- Don't rain on our parade! Balloons for the 88th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade get blown up in Manhattan...despite the gloomy weather
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Window into Marilyn Monroe's home ... and heart: Never-before-seen personal items that once belonged to the screen goddess to go up for auction, including love letters, a bra and her prescription pills
- Bette Midler declares Ariana Grande's sexy image 'so ridiculous'
- Female Papa Johns manager stops Ferguson looters
- US Special Forces funds drug that can put injured soldiers in HIBERNATION
- Harvard student Cameron Shenk who fell through Boston airport ceiling pictured
- Bill Cosby ADMITTED giving National Enquirer an interview about rape allegations in return for covering up a second accuser's story
- Regularly drinking coffee 'cuts risk of dementia': Three to five cups a day reduces chance of developing condition by a fifth
- Ferguson locals laugh at wreckage, pose for pics, scavenge for beers
- How does Dallas' Sue Ellen look BETTER the older she gets?
- 'Star Wars' teaser trailer to screen in 30 theaters Friday
- MI5 'would have been able to prevent' Lee Rigby's killing
- Pharrell accuses Michael Brown of 'bully-ish' behavior and says unarmed teen was 'asking for trouble' the day he was shot dead by police officer
- Mother Joanne Fowler turned avenger over son Matthew's abuse by his uncle
- iCracked sends 'smartphone doctor' to fix broken gadgets in minutes