Florida's smallest ever baby who weighed just 14oz when he was born 16 weeks early finally comes home in time for the holidays
- Connor Sorensen has spent six months in hospital since his early arrival
- Dad Eric could slip wedding band round son's leg when he was first born
- Baby boy now weights a healthier 6lb 5oz
By Jessica Jerreat
PUBLISHED: 01:53 EST, 26 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:54 EST, 26 December 2013
Connor Sorensen was the smallest baby to ever be born at Orlando's Hospital for Children, but he has defied all odds to survive - and even made it home for Christmas.
Tiny Connor has needed round-the-clock care for the past six months after he was born 16 weeks early and weighing only 14oz.
After months of anxiety for his parents, Holly and Eric Sorensen, Connor was well enough to finally go home for the first time this week.
Christmas gift: Connor Sorensen, who was born 16 weeks early, has finally been able to go home with his parents
Tiny miracle: Connor, pictured gently holding his mom's finger in July, weighed just 14oz when he was born
Mrs Sorensen was just 24 weeks' pregnant when she had Connor. Doctors told her to take plenty of pictures of her newborn in case he didn't survive.
When he first arrived, Connor's limbs were so tiny that his father could easily slip his wedding band around his leg.
'It is amazing to look back on that photo and see how far he has come,' Mr Sorensen told Click Orlando, adding: 'We are so proud of him and every day we call him our little fighter.'
Since his birth on June 24 Connor has defied all odds, and overcome several surgeries on his underdeveloped digestive system.
By the time he was released from hospital he weighed a healthy 6lb 5oz and doctors say in just a couple of months he will be as healthy as a normal baby.
Big day: After six months in hospital Connor has gone home with parents Holly and Eric Sorensen
Fragile: Eric Sorensen could fit his wedding band around his son's leg when Connor was first born
Making progress: Doctors said Connor had only a one in three chance of survival but the baby has defied all odds
'Given how small he was, we weren’t sure what would happen. It truly is a blessing to be going home,' Mrs Sorensen said earlier this week, as she prepared to finally take her baby home.
The couple had been dreaming of starting a family for nearly eight years when Mrs Sorensen found out she was pregnant.
But complications meant she had to have an emergency cesarean at just 24 weeks. When her son was delivered the couple were told he had only a one in three chance of survival.
'It was a great feeling to beat the odds. Especially right on time for Christmas,' Mr Sorensen told ABC 7. The couple said they couldn't thank the hospital enough for their 'gift'.
'It’s so amazing that the technology is
available and the skill and knowledge of the nurses and physicians were
all in one place,' Mrs Sorensen said.
Growing strong: Connor has made amazing progress after being the smallest baby born in Orlando, above, to becoming the happy little boy ready to go home for Christmas, below
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
'If drinking before five is wrong, I don't want to be right': Tweet 'posted by DUI driver hours before he crashed into kindergarten teacher and her son' killing them both while wearing just a towel
Suspect Nicholas Wyzykowski, 21, had a BAC of 0.27% when taken for medical purposes -- three times the legal Texas limitPeggy Howard, 60, was a ...
- Terre des Hommes creates CGI girl called Sweetie to entice child porn predators
- The next baby Veronica? Father fights to be reunited with son secretly put up for adoption by mother without his consent
- Racist slaughtered partner and daughter but spared youngest child because she was 'pure Aryan'
- Tomahawk throwing champion chases off burglars with ax
- Paul Walker's younger brother Cody starts to clear up late actor's belongings
- How Dorothy Spourdalakis killed her autistic teenage son Alex after he was restrained in a hospital bed for 12 DAYS by doctors who couldn't understand he had a serious stomach illness
- Animal rights activists film horrific abuse of pigs at Tyson farm
- Woman wakes from coma to discover she is three months PREGNANT - and can't remember the past three years of her life
- Boy, 3, dies after police handcuff and taser his stepfather to STOP him from running into burning home to save his child
- Boston cop Pat Rogers commits suicide after being in Donnie Wahlberg's Boston's Finest series
- Sister of Indian diplomat arrested in New York hits back
- Family defend wife who live-tweeted husband's crash death
- 'My family is devastated': Prominent doctor's adopted son stabs sister to death with a kitchen knife in their home
- 'We are ready to move on and we have learned a lot': Duck Dynasty's Willie Robertson speaks out on New Years for the first time since his father's anti-gay comments...but reveals that Phil is safely tucked up in bed
- Revealed: Fast & Furious actor Paul Walker burned to death in fiery crash
- White House forced to DENY Arab media reports that Obama aims to visit Iran in 2014
- He was sullen, arrogant, and no one wanted to sail with him: Crew member says captain played by Tom Hanks in new blockbuster Somali pirate film was no hero
- 'There is a big opportunity for many of us to give back': Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg donates nearly $1 billion to charity
- Newlywed, 25, killed after husband, 27, loses control of their car as he drives away from their reception
- Concussion-plagued baseball star who committed suicide becomes first major leaguer diagnosed with degenerative brain disease
- Little boy freestyles alongside dancer like there is nobody else in the world watching
- The tiny home built from scratch for $11,000 by 27-year-old architect who actually broke her back putting it up
- 'I was more nervous about my dance than surgery!' Breast cancer patient opens up about making whole surgical team gyrate to Beyoncé before double mastectomy
- Heather Elvis: Police searching for two women find skeletal remains near to where a third woman missing three years ago
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Next stop, City Hall! Bill de Blasio rides the subway to be sworn in as New York City Mayor by Bill Clinton
- 'I told her everything would be OK': Grandmother devastated by final words to teenager moments before routine tonsil operation left her on life support
- Here comes the snow! Travel chaos predicted with major storm set to hit the Midwest and Northeast in the next 24 hours and bring a very wintery start to 2014 for 70 million people
- No one said finding The One would be easy: The average women will kiss FIFTEEN men enjoy TWO long-term relationships and have her heart broken TWICE
- 13 injured after building explodes in downtown Minneapolis - forcing people to JUMP from the windows
- Colorado becomes first state to license stores to sell marijuana
- British adventurer who was running across Canada dressed as a SUPERHERO is beaten up and robbed of his man-bag
- 'He brightens everyone's day': Nordstrom's only official store greeter rings in his 100th birthday with hundreds of customers
- Marijuana opponents predict Denver to go 'hogwild' today while 'potrepreneurs' bet cannabis tourism in Colorado will be like 'Napa Valley wine tours'
- Drive to succeed: Bobbi Lancaster to be first transgender golfer to play in ladies professional tournament