Florida's smallest ever baby who weighed just 14oz when he was born 16 weeks early finally comes home in time for the holidays
- Connor Sorensen has spent six months in hospital since his early arrival
- Dad Eric could slip wedding band round son's leg when he was first born
- Baby boy now weights a healthier 6lb 5oz
By Jessica Jerreat
PUBLISHED: 01:53 EST, 26 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:54 EST, 26 December 2013
Connor Sorensen was the smallest baby to ever be born at Orlando's Hospital for Children, but he has defied all odds to survive - and even made it home for Christmas.
Tiny Connor has needed round-the-clock care for the past six months after he was born 16 weeks early and weighing only 14oz.
After months of anxiety for his parents, Holly and Eric Sorensen, Connor was well enough to finally go home for the first time this week.
Christmas gift: Connor Sorensen, who was born 16 weeks early, has finally been able to go home with his parents
Tiny miracle: Connor, pictured gently holding his mom's finger in July, weighed just 14oz when he was born
Mrs Sorensen was just 24 weeks' pregnant when she had Connor. Doctors told her to take plenty of pictures of her newborn in case he didn't survive.
When he first arrived, Connor's limbs were so tiny that his father could easily slip his wedding band around his leg.
'It is amazing to look back on that photo and see how far he has come,' Mr Sorensen told Click Orlando, adding: 'We are so proud of him and every day we call him our little fighter.'
Since his birth on June 24 Connor has defied all odds, and overcome several surgeries on his underdeveloped digestive system.
By the time he was released from hospital he weighed a healthy 6lb 5oz and doctors say in just a couple of months he will be as healthy as a normal baby.
Big day: After six months in hospital Connor has gone home with parents Holly and Eric Sorensen
Fragile: Eric Sorensen could fit his wedding band around his son's leg when Connor was first born
Making progress: Doctors said Connor had only a one in three chance of survival but the baby has defied all odds
'Given how small he was, we weren’t sure what would happen. It truly is a blessing to be going home,' Mrs Sorensen said earlier this week, as she prepared to finally take her baby home.
The couple had been dreaming of starting a family for nearly eight years when Mrs Sorensen found out she was pregnant.
But complications meant she had to have an emergency cesarean at just 24 weeks. When her son was delivered the couple were told he had only a one in three chance of survival.
'It was a great feeling to beat the odds. Especially right on time for Christmas,' Mr Sorensen told ABC 7. The couple said they couldn't thank the hospital enough for their 'gift'.
'It’s so amazing that the technology is
available and the skill and knowledge of the nurses and physicians were
all in one place,' Mrs Sorensen said.
Growing strong: Connor has made amazing progress after being the smallest baby born in Orlando, above, to becoming the happy little boy ready to go home for Christmas, below
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Auto-motorcycle crash closes Highway 2 in Commerce City
- DEA announces Pueblo County meth trafficking ring bust
- 'What's wrong with Wyatt?' Parents try to crowd source a diagnosis for baby boy who can't open his mouth after doctors are left baffled by his condition
- 911 dispatcher suspended following murder of mother in Denver
- Woman who killed lover with stiletto shoe takes the stand for first time as she tries to avoid life in prison
- Search for Austrian teens Samra Kesinovic and Sabina Selimovic 'in Syria fighting for Islamic rebels'
- Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Apple's Maps satellite image may have found Nessie
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- Microsoft honors the placid landscape that is the Windows XP default computer background as it says goodbye to XP support after 13 years
- Scientists develop 'Star Trek' scanner that can detect cancer, HIV and other killer diseases in minutes
- Canadian tourist visiting Peru revealed to be guy kicked in head by train conductor
- How can Chanel charge £2,100 for a bag a child can make for £7?
- Deb’s Mommy blog: Getting ready for our new baby
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Blogger petitions against YSL's use of 'malnourished' models in ads
- Has man's best friend become a PERSON? The way we treat cats and dogs are blurring the line between people and pets - and it could affect laws, claims expert
- Beekeeper dies in agony 10 minutes after suffering bee sting... after it turns out he was ALLERGIC
- The Duchess wears an L.K. Bennett dress as she and Wills leave Sydney
- Major meth trafficking bust in Pueblo
- Fire safety the Chinese way! Kids are set alight under blankets in school to learn about the dangerous of burning flames
- Real lives: Being married at 25 and widowed by 29 was not in my game plan
- Pawn broker claims local police harassed him over speed trap warning sign
- Chinese mother beats son with wire coat hanger for not doing homework
- Two more pings detected during agonising search for black box...signals are believed to be related to MH370
- Australian Prime Minister says he is 'very confident' black box from missing Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 has been found
- E-cigarette study finds they affect the lungs in a similar way to tobacco
- Pope Francis warns Christians Satan is trying to tempt you
- 'Pull up your pants or be proud to be a f@%': Southern store owner posts sign with a homophobic slur to deter customers from wearing baggy pants
- Dutch teen is ARRESTED in Rotterdam after tweeting 'joke' bomb threat to American Airlines
- Flower girl, 4, who took her first steps - thanks to a harness attached to her dad
- Former KKK members speak out to reveal even THEY thought Kansas 'shooter' Frazier Glenn Cross was a 'loose cannon'
- Local restaurant appears on Kitchen Nightmares
- Boston carjack victim 'Danny' who lead police to the Tsarneav brothers speaks out on one-year anniversary about his plans to attend the Marathon and how he waited weeks to tell his mother in China about the ordeal
- Delta flight isolated in remote area at DIA following security threat
- New TV show ‘Salem’ hopes to cast a spell on viewers
- NFL investigates whether Manning, Broncos coach Adam Gase broke rule
- 'I was hearing voices': Teen recently released from jail shots the mother of his child in the head as their infant son sits
- Teen, 18, caught on home surveillance looming over baby boy in crib as parents slept facing burglary charges
- Gladys the baby orphaned gorilla takes part in her first Easter egg hunt at Cincinnati Zoo
- 'America's royal baby': Chelsea's baby could give Hillary Clinton a boost in the polls if she runs for president commentators claim
- Teen, 14, who arrived at school in bloodied clothes, charged with the murder of his 76-year-old grandmother
- Man who threatened to open fire in Los Angeles Times building taken into custody
- Bold teenager, 14, issues cop with handwritten 'parking violation' after he leaves police car in illegal spot outside her home - and he REWARDS her
- Trace Adkins' wife sets the scene for a bitter divorce with restraining order - as he's linked with curvacious blonde co-star
- Texas state champion wrestler Dammion Heard found dead 'in apparent suicide'
- Bryan Cranston to write memoir about his time on hit series Breaking Bad
- 'My beautiful baby sister... Gone but never forgotten. I love you, Peaches': Fifi Geldof's heartbreaking tribute as 'police find no drugs, suicide note, or visible signs of injury'
- Billy Corgan will release 250 copies of 'experimental' album 'AEGEA'