Florida's smallest ever baby who weighed just 14oz when he was born 16 weeks early finally comes home in time for the holidays
- Connor Sorensen has spent six months in hospital since his early arrival
- Dad Eric could slip wedding band round son's leg when he was first born
- Baby boy now weights a healthier 6lb 5oz
By Jessica Jerreat
PUBLISHED: 01:53 EST, 26 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:54 EST, 26 December 2013
Connor Sorensen was the smallest baby to ever be born at Orlando's Hospital for Children, but he has defied all odds to survive - and even made it home for Christmas.
Tiny Connor has needed round-the-clock care for the past six months after he was born 16 weeks early and weighing only 14oz.
After months of anxiety for his parents, Holly and Eric Sorensen, Connor was well enough to finally go home for the first time this week.
Christmas gift: Connor Sorensen, who was born 16 weeks early, has finally been able to go home with his parents
Tiny miracle: Connor, pictured gently holding his mom's finger in July, weighed just 14oz when he was born
Mrs Sorensen was just 24 weeks' pregnant when she had Connor. Doctors told her to take plenty of pictures of her newborn in case he didn't survive.
When he first arrived, Connor's limbs were so tiny that his father could easily slip his wedding band around his leg.
'It is amazing to look back on that photo and see how far he has come,' Mr Sorensen told Click Orlando, adding: 'We are so proud of him and every day we call him our little fighter.'
Since his birth on June 24 Connor has defied all odds, and overcome several surgeries on his underdeveloped digestive system.
By the time he was released from hospital he weighed a healthy 6lb 5oz and doctors say in just a couple of months he will be as healthy as a normal baby.
Big day: After six months in hospital Connor has gone home with parents Holly and Eric Sorensen
Fragile: Eric Sorensen could fit his wedding band around his son's leg when Connor was first born
Making progress: Doctors said Connor had only a one in three chance of survival but the baby has defied all odds
'Given how small he was, we weren’t sure what would happen. It truly is a blessing to be going home,' Mrs Sorensen said earlier this week, as she prepared to finally take her baby home.
The couple had been dreaming of starting a family for nearly eight years when Mrs Sorensen found out she was pregnant.
But complications meant she had to have an emergency cesarean at just 24 weeks. When her son was delivered the couple were told he had only a one in three chance of survival.
'It was a great feeling to beat the odds. Especially right on time for Christmas,' Mr Sorensen told ABC 7. The couple said they couldn't thank the hospital enough for their 'gift'.
'It’s so amazing that the technology is
available and the skill and knowledge of the nurses and physicians were
all in one place,' Mrs Sorensen said.
Growing strong: Connor has made amazing progress after being the smallest baby born in Orlando, above, to becoming the happy little boy ready to go home for Christmas, below
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Bioengineering graduate, 25, dies of an apparent drug overdose after being found unconscious at the apartment of a 46-year-old New York hotel developer
Sean Verdi was found passed out in a bathtub at the apartment of New York hotelier Ian Reisner, 46The 25-year-old from Brooklyn was rushed to ...
- My $7m-a-year investment banker husband forced me to have sex with drug firm boss in foursome at the Ritz after cocaine binge, claims his wife
- Honey Boo Boo's Anna 'Chickadee' Cardwell sobs over Mama June
- Woman, 24, featured in viral catcalling video now receiving RAPE threats from online commenters
- Police chief WON'T stop defiant Ebola nurse Kaci Hickox breaking her quarantine
- ISIS brutality as 30 Sunni men are paraded through Iraqi town before being shot dead
- How real-life Wolf of Wall Street went on 'Las Vegas drug fest with hookers, cuddled his toddler after bad ketamine trip and snorted heroin and cocaine via NASAL spray': Wife at center of foursome divorce details her husband's debauchery
- Pizza deliveryman, 20, 'strangled and stabbed to death his roommate and then had sex with her dead body' before driving to a barbershop for a haircut'
- Texas executes ex-gang member for deaths of 3
- Colorado high school sweethearts killed in murder-suicide
- JetBlue passenger flying in from Jamaica arrested for hiding cocaine in her privates
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Mama June's child molester 'boyfriend' spotted with mystery woman as reality star puts on a united front on shopping trip with ex Sugar Bear and daughter Honey Boo Boo
- First competitor defeated by Old Stage Grill's new 4lb bacon cheeseburger and 2lbs worth of fries
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Meet the woman who was blind from the age of 11... but got her sight back when she hit her head on a COFFEE TABLE
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- BREAKING NEWS: RAF jets 'intercepting Latvian cargo plane' cause huge sonic boom over Kent
- Dozens of guests at NAACP banquet fall ill after dining on salmon and salad in San Francisco hotel
- Mama June and ex Sugar Bear put on a united front as they step out with daughter Honey Boo Boo amid child abuse scandal
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Father Kevin James of Louisville, Kentucky, shames 10-year-old daughter for lying about her age
- Woman dropped dog named Chloe off at the vet and returned to find her pug's eye had been removed in surgery WITHOUT her consent
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West fans imitate the fashion icons by posting nearly identical outfit pictures on blog
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Actress becomes EIGHTH woman to make sexual abuse claims against fired CBC host Jian Ghomeshi as it's revealed he 'would turn his teddy to face the wall during violent sex'
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Republican candidate under fire over island that 'vanished' from popular lake overlooked by his multi-million dollar home
- Sweet victory! San Francisco Giants WIN the World Series after beating the Kansas City Royals 3-2 in Game 7
- Frontier Airlines plane's wing gets stuck in fence at Chicago O'Hare airport
- Artist Alejandro Almaraz compiles headshots of global leaders over generations
- Buddhist temple leader and young monk still in comas after one shot the other in the head with a nail gun before turning the weapon on himself
- Quentin Tarantino's quest for the world's scariest six seconds in Vine competition
- From the sublime to the ridiculous: While one driver slots his car straight into a space the same size, another smashes into neighbouring vehicle 15 TIMES trying to reverse out of a parking bay
- Kid Rock fan gets the surprise of a lifetime when the singer turns up at his birthday party
- Thirty-six Corvettes that belonged to artist Peter Max to be restored
- What your PERSONALITY says about your health: Being hardworking and curious protects against disease - but anxious and moody people suffer more ill health
- Utah family of five may have been poisoned after cops reveal they found cups with red liquid by their bodies in locked room
- Woman sprays chemist staff with BREAST MILK in bizarre distraction theft
- Meet Mr Biscuits, the miracle kitten that survived a horrific car journey stuck in a scorching hot engine for TWO hours
- Fish drags cat into pond in astonishing video
- Obama administration plans to rush non-Americans into the US for Ebola treatment
- Father who vanished from Denver Broncos match does not like crowds
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off