Florida's smallest ever baby who weighed just 14oz when he was born 16 weeks early finally comes home in time for the holidays
- Connor Sorensen has spent six months in hospital since his early arrival
- Dad Eric could slip wedding band round son's leg when he was first born
- Baby boy now weights a healthier 6lb 5oz
By Jessica Jerreat
PUBLISHED: 01:53 EST, 26 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:54 EST, 26 December 2013
Connor Sorensen was the smallest baby to ever be born at Orlando's Hospital for Children, but he has defied all odds to survive - and even made it home for Christmas.
Tiny Connor has needed round-the-clock care for the past six months after he was born 16 weeks early and weighing only 14oz.
After months of anxiety for his parents, Holly and Eric Sorensen, Connor was well enough to finally go home for the first time this week.
Christmas gift: Connor Sorensen, who was born 16 weeks early, has finally been able to go home with his parents
Tiny miracle: Connor, pictured gently holding his mom's finger in July, weighed just 14oz when he was born
Mrs Sorensen was just 24 weeks' pregnant when she had Connor. Doctors told her to take plenty of pictures of her newborn in case he didn't survive.
When he first arrived, Connor's limbs were so tiny that his father could easily slip his wedding band around his leg.
'It is amazing to look back on that photo and see how far he has come,' Mr Sorensen told Click Orlando, adding: 'We are so proud of him and every day we call him our little fighter.'
Since his birth on June 24 Connor has defied all odds, and overcome several surgeries on his underdeveloped digestive system.
By the time he was released from hospital he weighed a healthy 6lb 5oz and doctors say in just a couple of months he will be as healthy as a normal baby.
Big day: After six months in hospital Connor has gone home with parents Holly and Eric Sorensen
Fragile: Eric Sorensen could fit his wedding band around his son's leg when Connor was first born
Making progress: Doctors said Connor had only a one in three chance of survival but the baby has defied all odds
'Given how small he was, we weren’t sure what would happen. It truly is a blessing to be going home,' Mrs Sorensen said earlier this week, as she prepared to finally take her baby home.
The couple had been dreaming of starting a family for nearly eight years when Mrs Sorensen found out she was pregnant.
But complications meant she had to have an emergency cesarean at just 24 weeks. When her son was delivered the couple were told he had only a one in three chance of survival.
'It was a great feeling to beat the odds. Especially right on time for Christmas,' Mr Sorensen told ABC 7. The couple said they couldn't thank the hospital enough for their 'gift'.
'It’s so amazing that the technology is
available and the skill and knowledge of the nurses and physicians were
all in one place,' Mrs Sorensen said.
Growing strong: Connor has made amazing progress after being the smallest baby born in Orlando, above, to becoming the happy little boy ready to go home for Christmas, below
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Surfer's worst nightmare: Drone footage captures a massive shark circling paddle boarders in the water as it chases school of fish
Footage was shot at Killcare Beach on the NSW Central Coast on FridayDrone pilot Tom Caska captured the moment a great white started following a ...
- Randy Travis makes rare public appearance after stroke
- Thousands descend on Wall Street to protest big business's role in climate change - leading activists getting arrested and pepper-sprayed
- Newborn baby has 12cm 'tail' - that was his twin brother - removed from his back
- 'You can overcome obstacles with love and determination': Paralyzed woman fulfills lifelong dream of walking down the aisle on her wedding day
- Wanted poster for Hannah Graham suspect is issued
- Kris and Bruce Jenner divorcing
- Iraq vet, 42, 'who stormed the White House had more than 800 rounds of ammunition, a machete and two hatchets stashed in his car'
- Adulterous husband finally admits killing his wife six years after dumping her partially-naked body in a drainage ditch before telling police she had just never returned from a jog
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- 'She's simply my work colleague': Girlfriend of doctor 'poisoned' by mistress in fatal attraction love triangle tells court how he denied affair and she began copying their every move
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Multi-millionaire was so happy his wife survived cancer he gave away his entire £16million fortune to help other patients but then she left him because she was so fed up
- Robert F Kennedy Jr loses his cool and grabs mic from reporter pushing him about his own carbon footprint
- Banker John C Kelly caught on tape admitting he recorded himself having sex with women
- Washington Redskins fan calls the police to claim Daily Show producers set them up for ridicule in encounter with Native Americans
- Cyclist whose 'speeding' crash with woman resulted in her death breaks his silence and calls the incident 'an unavoidable accident' as police continue to investigate
- 'Not very entertaining, clever or original': How test audiences almost put and end to Friends even before the comedy got off the ground
- They cost $399, are said to be the best in the world, and are selling at record numbers - but they still shatter if you drop them: Video shows how easy it is to smash an iPhone 6
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Throne goal: Prince William plays table football with teenagers during a lunch-time match... and scores the winning shot
- Barbara Walters bumped from The View? ABC 'refused to let show's co-creator appear live in premier of new line-up'
- Man suffering from 'ice bucket challenge' disease is 'mocked' by Germany's top folk singer over condition
- Climate change protesters who marched through Manhattan are branded hypocrites for leaving litter strewn across the city
- Newly-crowned Miss America was kicked out of her sorority last year for hazing recruits to the point of BRUISING
- Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti says he would rehire disgraced football star Ray Rice 'down the line'
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Rihanna and Amber Heard are latest victims of iCloud hacking scandal as more topless photos continue to surface in latest wave of leaks
- Kourtney Kardashian allegedly 'terrified' that Scott Disick will leave her
- Apollos Hesters' motivational speech could teach NFL stars a thing or two
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- 'I'm more obsessed with sharks than ever': Environmental activist reveals the horrifying moment she was attacked by a shark - and now she's speaking out to save them
- It can't be too far off! VERY pregnant Chelsea Clinton appears at star-studded gala as dad Bill reveals October 1 due date
- He should play for the team! Quick-thinking cadet saves Texas A&M's beloved collie from getting trampled by rival receiver
- SpaceX Falcon rocket blasts off from Florida with cargo for the International Space Station
- NYPD crash kills officer and another eight cops left injured
- Why did no-one raise the alarm earlier? Shocking images of injuries endured by toddler were taken by family TWO months before his body was found in woods
- Is Mrs Australia about to be dethroned?Beauty queen who won pageant for married women could be forced to hand back her crown... after splitting from her husband
- NASA's Maven explorer arrives at Mars after year-long, 442 million-mile journey
- Forget Tinder, Cuddlr app matches people who want 'no-pressure intimacy'
- William Lopez who wrongly served 23 years dies from ashthma attack
- Assault on ISIS: Airstrikes begin in Syria
- Sorry chaps, it's expectant mums who are worst hit by flu: Pregnancy makes the immune system go haywire when fighting the virus