Florida's smallest ever baby who weighed just 14oz when he was born 16 weeks early finally comes home in time for the holidays
- Connor Sorensen has spent six months in hospital since his early arrival
- Dad Eric could slip wedding band round son's leg when he was first born
- Baby boy now weights a healthier 6lb 5oz
By Jessica Jerreat
PUBLISHED: 01:53 EST, 26 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:54 EST, 26 December 2013
Connor Sorensen was the smallest baby to ever be born at Orlando's Hospital for Children, but he has defied all odds to survive - and even made it home for Christmas.
Tiny Connor has needed round-the-clock care for the past six months after he was born 16 weeks early and weighing only 14oz.
After months of anxiety for his parents, Holly and Eric Sorensen, Connor was well enough to finally go home for the first time this week.
Christmas gift: Connor Sorensen, who was born 16 weeks early, has finally been able to go home with his parents
Tiny miracle: Connor, pictured gently holding his mom's finger in July, weighed just 14oz when he was born
Mrs Sorensen was just 24 weeks' pregnant when she had Connor. Doctors told her to take plenty of pictures of her newborn in case he didn't survive.
When he first arrived, Connor's limbs were so tiny that his father could easily slip his wedding band around his leg.
'It is amazing to look back on that photo and see how far he has come,' Mr Sorensen told Click Orlando, adding: 'We are so proud of him and every day we call him our little fighter.'
Since his birth on June 24 Connor has defied all odds, and overcome several surgeries on his underdeveloped digestive system.
By the time he was released from hospital he weighed a healthy 6lb 5oz and doctors say in just a couple of months he will be as healthy as a normal baby.
Big day: After six months in hospital Connor has gone home with parents Holly and Eric Sorensen
Fragile: Eric Sorensen could fit his wedding band around his son's leg when Connor was first born
Making progress: Doctors said Connor had only a one in three chance of survival but the baby has defied all odds
'Given how small he was, we weren’t sure what would happen. It truly is a blessing to be going home,' Mrs Sorensen said earlier this week, as she prepared to finally take her baby home.
The couple had been dreaming of starting a family for nearly eight years when Mrs Sorensen found out she was pregnant.
But complications meant she had to have an emergency cesarean at just 24 weeks. When her son was delivered the couple were told he had only a one in three chance of survival.
'It was a great feeling to beat the odds. Especially right on time for Christmas,' Mr Sorensen told ABC 7. The couple said they couldn't thank the hospital enough for their 'gift'.
'It’s so amazing that the technology is
available and the skill and knowledge of the nurses and physicians were
all in one place,' Mrs Sorensen said.
Growing strong: Connor has made amazing progress after being the smallest baby born in Orlando, above, to becoming the happy little boy ready to go home for Christmas, below
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Erica Lynne Mesa, 27, charged with custodian indecent liberties and solicitation of a minor using a computerThe married math teacher and volleyball coach at Colonial Forge ...
- Mayor of Los Angeles suburb shot dead by his wife of nearly 30 years following an argument involving their 19-year-old son
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Not even Diana's thigh-high skirt made up for her being such an airhead: Withering verdict of LORD BELL, Lady Thatcher's favourite ad man
- Over 35,000 WALRUS are frantically coming ashore on a beach in northwest Alaska because the sea ice they normally rest on has melted due to global warming
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- 'He's got to be gotten rid of': Notorious mobster Bugsy Siegel was 'shot dead by truck driver lover of his best friend's wife'
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Former state wrestling champ and Harvard student dies in mysterious circumstances one day after funeral for his best friend who died of suspected heroin overdose
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Pictured: Smiling grandmother who was beheaded by Muslim convert in Oklahoma just months after losing her home in tornado
- China's Miao Room cavern is the largest on earth
- How well do you know your partner? The shocking signs that your other half is lying to you
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Man with Ebola at Dallas hospital was first SENT HOME with antibiotics before the deadly virus was later discovered
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Now it really IS the Umbrella Revolution! Thousands of pro-democracy protesters take shelter from torrential rain as deadline for election reforms nears
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Mammoth Lakes sees 600 earthquakes in 24 hours as part of the largest swarm of tremors in nearly a decade
- Pictures of Bolivia's Aymara nation by photographers Raphaël Verona and Thomas Rousset
- President Barack Obama has skipped more than HALF of his daily intel briefings
- 'Black widow' found GUILTY of shooting dead her husband for insurance money and trying to make it look like a suicide
- Meet the megaflare: Nasa spots stellar flare 10,000 times more powerful than the largest solar blast ever recorded
- Mystery as driver found 'shot dead' inside a crashed Mercedes as another body discovered two miles away in million-dollar home
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- 'Just confess if you still have a spark of humanity': Mother in emotional plea to Hannah Graham suspect after forensic evidence links him to abduction, rape and murder of her own daughter five years ago
- 'The world could be a very different place if he pulled that gun': Secret Service allowed a three-time felon carrying a gun to travel in an elevator with Obama in latest screw up
- All bets are orf! Insider info fears sees bookmakers suspend all bets on Kate giving birth to twins after surge in wagers from new accounts
- All hail NYC cabbies! Taxi drivers strip down for 2015 charity calendar (warning: there's a lot of chest hair)
- Maldive photos show mountains of plastic bottles washed up on islands
- Randy Couture gets the boot on 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Robin Williams' autopsy results to be delayed another month as coroner continues testing
- Uh-oh Spaghetti-METH?!: Woman released from jail ONE MONTH after police confuse a crusty spoon in her car with SPAGHETTIO'S residue on it as being meth
- Woman dies after falling into giant vat of wine in Spain
- Coyote hit by an SUV miraculously SURVIVES with just fractured legs after getting stuck in the bumper
- 'It's despicable': Widow hits out at college's decision to let her cop husband's killer give graduation speech
- Oklahoma man charged with murder in beheading
- Furore over Stella McCartney's skeleton-chic model as hundreds of fans complain about designer's Instagram snap
- Lobster meals, a full-size bed and a private departure room: Young entrepreneur uses $23,000 worth of air miles to travel on most luxurious flight in the world from Singapore to New York... and blogs about experience
- Night-vision photos show U.S. fighter jet being refueled mid-air before carrying out strikes over Syria
- Terms of Service
- Taylor Swift holds second '1989' surprise screening for fans
- Japanese show launches new group the Happening Girls who you can DATE
- Utah family found dead by son under mysterious circumstances
- Missing woman found ALIVE in the trunk of her car but remembers little from her three-day disappearance