Florida's smallest ever baby who weighed just 14oz when he was born 16 weeks early finally comes home in time for the holidays
- Connor Sorensen has spent six months in hospital since his early arrival
- Dad Eric could slip wedding band round son's leg when he was first born
- Baby boy now weights a healthier 6lb 5oz
By Jessica Jerreat
PUBLISHED: 01:53 EST, 26 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:54 EST, 26 December 2013
Connor Sorensen was the smallest baby to ever be born at Orlando's Hospital for Children, but he has defied all odds to survive - and even made it home for Christmas.
Tiny Connor has needed round-the-clock care for the past six months after he was born 16 weeks early and weighing only 14oz.
After months of anxiety for his parents, Holly and Eric Sorensen, Connor was well enough to finally go home for the first time this week.
Christmas gift: Connor Sorensen, who was born 16 weeks early, has finally been able to go home with his parents
Tiny miracle: Connor, pictured gently holding his mom's finger in July, weighed just 14oz when he was born
Mrs Sorensen was just 24 weeks' pregnant when she had Connor. Doctors told her to take plenty of pictures of her newborn in case he didn't survive.
When he first arrived, Connor's limbs were so tiny that his father could easily slip his wedding band around his leg.
'It is amazing to look back on that photo and see how far he has come,' Mr Sorensen told Click Orlando, adding: 'We are so proud of him and every day we call him our little fighter.'
Since his birth on June 24 Connor has defied all odds, and overcome several surgeries on his underdeveloped digestive system.
By the time he was released from hospital he weighed a healthy 6lb 5oz and doctors say in just a couple of months he will be as healthy as a normal baby.
Big day: After six months in hospital Connor has gone home with parents Holly and Eric Sorensen
Fragile: Eric Sorensen could fit his wedding band around his son's leg when Connor was first born
Making progress: Doctors said Connor had only a one in three chance of survival but the baby has defied all odds
'Given how small he was, we weren’t sure what would happen. It truly is a blessing to be going home,' Mrs Sorensen said earlier this week, as she prepared to finally take her baby home.
The couple had been dreaming of starting a family for nearly eight years when Mrs Sorensen found out she was pregnant.
But complications meant she had to have an emergency cesarean at just 24 weeks. When her son was delivered the couple were told he had only a one in three chance of survival.
'It was a great feeling to beat the odds. Especially right on time for Christmas,' Mr Sorensen told ABC 7. The couple said they couldn't thank the hospital enough for their 'gift'.
'It’s so amazing that the technology is
available and the skill and knowledge of the nurses and physicians were
all in one place,' Mrs Sorensen said.
Growing strong: Connor has made amazing progress after being the smallest baby born in Orlando, above, to becoming the happy little boy ready to go home for Christmas, below
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
A drunk tractor driver killed three people after crashing into their car head-on. Jacob Gavrilov, 43, caused the fatal accident when he swerved his large vehicle ...
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Chelsea Clinton quits her 'special correspondent' role at NBC
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Slice of history! Piece of Princess Diana's 33-year-old wedding cake goes for $1,375
- Heart-stopping moment a brazen car thief steals an SUV with 10-month-old baby girl on the back seat as distressed father chases them down the street screaming
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Obama REFUSES to call 1,000 Russian troops and tanks in Ukraine an 'invasion'
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Australian man who worked to free kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls tells how they snatched by ANOTHER gang straight after
- Scientists discover what makes a good wine go bad
- Miss Universe and Miss USA help Donald Trump for Ice Bucket Challenge
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Dog stays by grave of owner for weeks after Indian teen killed in car crash
- High-tech Florida Polytechnic University opens BOOKLESS library...but students can access over 135,000 ebooks on electronic devices
- Joan Rivers' daughter Melissa is an 'emotional wreck' as she waits for news
- Chris Lollie was Tasered by cops for refusing to give his name while waiting for his kids after school
- Jealous hippo breaks out of her zoo enclosure after her 'plunge pool' is shut down and is found looking longingly into her neighbour's
- Forget Street View, explore the world in SPACE view: Interactive map plots every image taken by astronauts on board the ISS
- Dogs EATING corpses of Ebola victims in Liberia after health teams pile bodies into shallow grave in the middle of the night after locals refused permission to use the land
- E-Type Jag roars past Mini and Porsche 911 as the world's greatest car: Eight cars in the top ten are British including Rolls Royces and Aston Martins
- Public relations agent for Yoko Ono is suing celebrity chef Mario Batali's eatery Eataly for $10million because 'bouncers shouted homophobic slurs and hurled him through a glass window'
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- NYPD faces SECOND investigation after 45-year-old man's death is ruled a homicide...and linked to 'protective body wrap' performed by officers
- When the flames gave way: Burning Man takes on an otherworldly feel as it's enveloped in a dust cloud... but nothing can keep revellers from their desert party
- Marisa Tomei, Hugh Grant go to school in 'Rewrite' trailer
- Baking Bad for Buffett: Billionaire investor surprised with incredible birthday cake celebrating his favorite show complete with Jesse and Heisenberg cupcakes
- Toddler who became internet sensation after video of her swearing while doing the ice bucket challenge says sorry
- Brandi Brandt jailed as part of drugs ring which hid cocaine in plane toilets
- He's all smiles at last! Teen cancer survivor fitted with dentures after GoFundMe campaign raises more than $11,000 in less than ONE DAY for dental procedure not covered by insurance
- Retired sheriff's deputy with ALS charged with murdering his wife and sister-in-law just days after they and his friends raised $23,000 towards his care with the ice bucket challenge
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- 'Barney Fife is in charge': Obama under fire and Pentagon furious for 'we don't have a strategy' gaffe
- 'Yay lol, someone getting poz that day': Chilling text of landscape architect related to Cesar Chavez accused of intentionally spreading HIv to at least TWO DOZEN men and then bragging about it to friends
- BREAKING NEWS: Secret Service are searching for car linked to threat against President Obama
- Rise in pests over next 30 years 'could cause vast potato and bread shortages - and force us to change our diet'
- Almost a dozen men from Minnesota are fighting with ISIS in Syria, say officials
- Apple's iWatch will not go on sale until 2015
- Border Patrol busts fishing boat carrying undocumented immigrants into San Diego less than 24 hours after a large group of illegal aliens stormed a city beach
- ANOTHER passenger angered by reclined seat removed from plane just days after in-flight brawl sparked by controversial Knee Defender
- Princess Diana's 'DIY security team' led to 'tragic outcome' night of her death, says French policeman
- Woman butchered heavily pregnant mother-to-be with a kitchen knife and then tried to remove her baby from the womb before admitting everything to police in chilling confession
- Two women arrested for beating to death artist, 65, 'with brass knuckles' as he waited for a metro while running errands
- Terms of Service
- Sleeping in a dark room, comfort burping and developing a sleep pattern for your baby are just some of the 6 MYTHS busted by top GP and infant expert about caring for newborns
'Yay lol, someone getting poz that day': Chilling text of landscape architect related to Cesar Chavez accused of intentionally spreading HIv to at least TWO DOZEN men and then bragging about it to friends (0)
Sweatpants with dress shoes, plaid blazers - and some VERY tiny shorts: No it's not New York Fashion Week, it's the 20 worst presidential style gaffes (and Obama's tan suit doesn't even make the top five) (0)
Why EVERY woman moans about the size of her breasts: The late NORA EPHRON was the razor sharp writer behind When Harry Met Sally. Now the Mail's serialising a joyous collection of her wittiest work (0)