Florida's smallest ever baby who weighed just 14oz when he was born 16 weeks early finally comes home in time for the holidays
- Connor Sorensen has spent six months in hospital since his early arrival
- Dad Eric could slip wedding band round son's leg when he was first born
- Baby boy now weights a healthier 6lb 5oz
By Jessica Jerreat
PUBLISHED: 01:53 EST, 26 December 2013 | UPDATED: 01:54 EST, 26 December 2013
Connor Sorensen was the smallest baby to ever be born at Orlando's Hospital for Children, but he has defied all odds to survive - and even made it home for Christmas.
Tiny Connor has needed round-the-clock care for the past six months after he was born 16 weeks early and weighing only 14oz.
After months of anxiety for his parents, Holly and Eric Sorensen, Connor was well enough to finally go home for the first time this week.
Christmas gift: Connor Sorensen, who was born 16 weeks early, has finally been able to go home with his parents
Tiny miracle: Connor, pictured gently holding his mom's finger in July, weighed just 14oz when he was born
Mrs Sorensen was just 24 weeks' pregnant when she had Connor. Doctors told her to take plenty of pictures of her newborn in case he didn't survive.
When he first arrived, Connor's limbs were so tiny that his father could easily slip his wedding band around his leg.
'It is amazing to look back on that photo and see how far he has come,' Mr Sorensen told Click Orlando, adding: 'We are so proud of him and every day we call him our little fighter.'
Since his birth on June 24 Connor has defied all odds, and overcome several surgeries on his underdeveloped digestive system.
By the time he was released from hospital he weighed a healthy 6lb 5oz and doctors say in just a couple of months he will be as healthy as a normal baby.
Big day: After six months in hospital Connor has gone home with parents Holly and Eric Sorensen
Fragile: Eric Sorensen could fit his wedding band around his son's leg when Connor was first born
Making progress: Doctors said Connor had only a one in three chance of survival but the baby has defied all odds
'Given how small he was, we weren’t sure what would happen. It truly is a blessing to be going home,' Mrs Sorensen said earlier this week, as she prepared to finally take her baby home.
The couple had been dreaming of starting a family for nearly eight years when Mrs Sorensen found out she was pregnant.
But complications meant she had to have an emergency cesarean at just 24 weeks. When her son was delivered the couple were told he had only a one in three chance of survival.
'It was a great feeling to beat the odds. Especially right on time for Christmas,' Mr Sorensen told ABC 7. The couple said they couldn't thank the hospital enough for their 'gift'.
'It’s so amazing that the technology is
available and the skill and knowledge of the nurses and physicians were
all in one place,' Mrs Sorensen said.
Growing strong: Connor has made amazing progress after being the smallest baby born in Orlando, above, to becoming the happy little boy ready to go home for Christmas, below
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Woman on death row for killing 'man who tried to rape her' will be hanged at dawn: Mother called to Iranian prison to see her daughter for last time
Reyhaneh Jabbari, 26, was sentenced to death in 2009 by an Iranian courtShe was found guilty of murdering a government intelligence operative Her mother Shole Pakravan ...
- 'But I paid so much money!': Woman drugged after wisdom teeth surgery is devastated that she hasn't woken up looking like Nicki Minaj... and isn't friends with Ellen DeGeneres
- Honey Boo Boo shock claim that Mama June's now adult daughter was victim of child molester
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- HIV postitive sex offender 'raped a teen, 14, and two-year-old infecting them both'
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Thief who stole a $4 packet of cigarettes is smoked out after police in Florida use patrol units, dogs and even their helicopter to catch the teenager tearaway
- Brother and sister of Jennifer Laude allegedly murdered by US soldier storm Philippine military base
- Ariana Grande turned to Kabbalah over gay brother
- Google's Alan Eustace secretly breaks highest parachute jump record
- Mama June seen for the first time since daughter Anna Cardwell confirmed she was victim of mother's sex offender boyfriend
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Black flag of ISIS flies over Kobane streets away from Kurdish stronghold
- Blitzing the black flag of ISIS: Extraordinary moment massive US airstrike obliterated jihadis' emblem flying on hill above Kobane (while a lone sentry stands his ground)
- Decorated soldier who fought in 'Black Hawk Down' battle in Somalia dies at 52
- The D'oh! Nut: Burger joint pays homage to Homer Simpson
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Disney's Frozen T-shirt shows Elsa 'encouraging children to swear' say parents
- Was it a terror attack? Police probe extremist links as online rants of New York hatchet attacker emerge after he was shot dead in attack on group of cops in Queens
- Kevin Charles Brown committed suicide after interviewed over Claire Hough murder
- Man, 85, is 'tied up for 20 HOURS and robbed' after wining and dining 17-year-old twin sisters he met on a sugar daddy dating site
- He's superman!: Town celebrates Halloween, Christmas, and a birthday early for a four-year-old boy with terminal cancer and just days left to live
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Researchers say breathing toxic air in the first two years of life linked to autism
- Instead of ice, this fridge dispenses candies
- Emma Stone explains why she kept ruining 'Birdman'
- Why one Aurora victim's boyfriend proposed with a heartrending trailer in a movie theater two years after she was shot during Batman screening
- Pakistan to bring in anti-cannibalism law after brothers dug up corpses for curry
- Bikini-top of the charts!: Video of a singer struggling to keep a puppy from pulling off her bathing suit has over TWO MILLION views...but her music video only has a few thousand
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Solar storms result in sunspot as big as EARTH
- 'A magnificent iceberg with twelve glass sails': Paris welcomes spectacular Gehry-designed Louis Vuitton art museum that was 13 years in the making
- Is this the moment gunman flees War Memorial after shooting dead Canadian soldier before storming Parliament where he was killed in a gun fight with guards?
- Brad Silbering, 'Jane The Virgin,' director inks overall deal with CBS studios
- Chewbacca and Where's Wally break up Mr Incredible and Batgirl brawl in LA video
- Kristen Stewart to take a break from acting
- Could you last the night in McKamey Manor HORROR HOUSE? Nobody has yet
- One man and his Harley: Brad Bakelar of Reno rides his motorcycle with his companion, Moki, a five-year-old Goldendoodle
- 'You are so loved': Lawyer who was with Corporal Nathan Cirillo in his final moments describes the support and aide he received from complete strangers desperate to save his life
- New York Ebola doctor's fiancee and TWO friends quarantined amid fears he gave them deadly virus: Potential victims in isolation - and there could be more after medic spent SEVEN days riding the subway, bowling and traveling in Uber taxis
- Five-year-old son testifies against his father, Michael Lawrence, who is found guilty of murder in the death of girlfriend Angelica Olivarez who was on the run following the fatal drive-by shooting of a six-year-old girl
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Secret Service agents left posts to deal with their boss's neighbor
- Think your iPhone is expensive? Rare working example of Apple's first computer sells for record breaking $905,000
- Google takes its driverless car on a tour of its California campus
- Melissa Rivers to inherit $100M in cash and assets from Joan Rivers
- Kate displays her growing bump as Duchess puts her morning sickness behind her in third public appearance since recovering from illness