Son, 24, and two friends 'murdered his hairdresser mother for life insurance cash and $90,000 in bank accounts'
- Qawmane Wilson, 24, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes
- Holmes was a well-known owner of a beauty salon in Uptown Chicago
- Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, and Loriana Johnson, 23, are also charged in the slaying
- Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver
- On Tuesday, Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois, Jr. called the murder a 'heinous act' and ordered all three suspects held without bail
By Helen Pow
PUBLISHED: 20:34 EST, 24 December 2013 | UPDATED: 20:34 EST, 24 December 2013
Charged: Qawmane Wilson, 24, pictured, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes, 45, who was a well-known owner of a beauty salon
A Chicago man is accused of plotting his mother's murder to get access to $90,000 of savings and her two life insurance policies.
Qawmane Wilson, 24, of North Austin, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes, 45, a well-known owner of a beauty salon, whose name is tattooed on his shoulder.
Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, and Loriana Johnson, 23, are also charged in the slaying.
Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver.
On Tuesday, Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois, Jr. called the murder a 'heinous act' and ordered all three suspects held without bail.
Immediately following the hearing, a relative of both Wilson and Holmes collapsed in the hall outside bond court, sobbing, the Chicago Tribune reported.
Holmes was the owner of the Nappy Headz salon in Uptown Chicago.
She was killed at around 4:15 a.m. September 2 at her home in the 1000 block of West Montrose Avenue, authorities said.
She died of multiple stab wounds and a gunshot wound to her head.
Wilson was arrested Sunday after detectives determined he had arranged to 'have his mother murdered,' police told the Tribune.
Assistant State's Attorney Maura White said Wilson was the 'sole beneficiary' of his mother's assets, including two life insurance policies, White said. One week after Holmes' death, Wilson liquidated $90,000 from of his mother’s bank accounts, White said.
Ayonna Anderson, one of Holmes’ friends, told the Chicago Sun-Times Tuesday that she was stunned to learn that Wilson might be involved in his mother's death.
Accomplices: Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, right, and Loriana Johnson, 23, left, are also charged in the slaying. Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver
'She gave him everything he wanted,' said Anderson, a hair stylist who worked in Holmes' salon. 'He wasn't hurting for nothing. Why would you have your mother killed?'
Anderson said Holmes was a single mother and that Wilson, as a boy, would often spend time at the salon.
'He was a salon baby,' Anderson said. 'Everybody know him. We would never think he was capable of doing that. She was a great mom.'
Cell phone records revealed that Wilson called Spencer and Johnson 'before, during and after the murder,' White said.
Both Wilson and Spencer admitted their respective roles in the scheme, she said.
Spencer was arrested Monday and is charged with first degree murder, home invasion, and aggravated discharge of a firearm.
Salon: Holmes was the owner of the Nappy Headz salon, pictured, in the 4100 block of North Broadway
Police say Johnson drove Spencer to and from Holmes' house. She was also arrested Monday and charged with murder and home invasion.
According to the Tribune, Holmes was a fixture in the community and often used her salon in the 4100 block of North Broadway as a venue to publicize or host community events like back-to-school parties for young students. Family and friends said she was always willing to lend a helping hand to those in need.
'She had a real nice personality, always trying to help people,' her uncle James Newman told the Chicago Tribune.
Joseph Adibu, who owns the nearby Broadway Super Coin Laundry, said at the time: 'She is a very good person. For that to happen to her is a blow to a lot of us. It's very painful.'
Wilson, Spencer and Johnson will spend Christmas in jail and are next scheduled to appear in court on January 13.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Death toll in Washington mudslide 'rises to 24' with dozens still missing: Hope fades that any survivors will be found as rescuers recover two more bodies and believe they have located eight others 'underground'
- Woman says Obamacare made it possible for her to start a business
- Civil Air Patrol pilot takes on a search mission flight [Video]
- Generous? Not according to Canadian authorities: Man who gave away $100 bills to random people because he wanted to help is thrown into a MENTAL INSTITUTION
- Three elite Secret Service agents in Obama's advance team sent home and suspended after getting DRUNK in Amsterdam
- Would YOU smooch your pooch? Stomach-turning photos show dog owners French-kissing fido
- Girl hopes others won't shy away from St. Baldrick's participation
- Tomboy schoolgirl, 8, told she wouldn't be allowed to re-enroll in Christian school after the principal implied that her short hair meant she was sexually immoral
- That's a whole lotta dough! New York City bakery installs pink ATM that dispenses CUPCAKES instead of cash
- EXCLUSIVE: British 'cop killer' and her Florida boyfriend planned to steal a boat and live on a beach in Panama before going on rampage that ended in suicide pact
- Busted! After promising 'no delay' in final Obamacare sign-up deadline, Obama administration unveils new 'honor system' extension through mid-April
- Mickey the pit bull who mauled four-year-old boy 'for grabbing his bone' wins last-minute reprieve from judge - but will be neutered and defanged
- Katheryn Deprill reunited with birth mother who left her in a Burger King bathroom as a newborn after launching viral Facebook campaign
- College fisherman catches 700-pound, 14-foot hammerhead shark off the beaches of southern Florida
- Ex-girlfriend reveals Army soldier was expecting 'a lot of money' the day his pregnant wife was found 'suffocated to death with plastic bag' after sex game
- Vandals glue a dozen RAZOR BLADES all over children's playground equipment and injure a 2-year-old boy
- Christopher Reeves busted on DUI and meth charges wearing Superman T-shirt
- Smart move! NJ man released from prison after 15 years for holding up children's shoe store goes straight back to rob the SAME shop the following day for just $389
- Kayaker films his incredible 'South Florida sleigh ride' after hooking a hammerhead SHARK that pulled him miles out to sea at 30mph for TWO HOURS
- You're gone? Good: Fury over teacher's shocking Facebook post about a 16-year-old student who'd killed himself 24 hours earlier
- Iowa couple who found Ruby the scabby puppy abandoned on the street in Bali nurse her back to full health
- 'Tame you like a little wild animal': Love letters between James Bond author Ian Fleming and Austrian lover revealed
- Video shows shocking abuse of blonde woman at Cairo University
- Chinese woman posts picture of herself boiling and skinning cat to make SOUP
- The tensions and tears when a mother and daughter have a baby at the same time
- Are you a parsnip or rhubarb? New body shape guide uses different fruit and vegetables to describe our figures
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue of trapped man in Houston apartment fire
- French satellite spots 122 objects up to 75ft long in Indian Ocean that could be debris from doomed Malaysia Airlines flight MH370
- MH370 sought after by Australian warship with high hopes
- Barack Obama and David Cameron played video game 'nukes on the loose'
- MH370 pilot upset over wife moving out and in 'no state of mind to be flying' says friend
- WATCH: Crash of Blue Line train at O’Hare airport
- Copenhagen Zoo kills four lions, weeks after shooting giraffe
- 122 objects sighted in search for Flight 370
- Push is on to add aerial arsenal to fight wildfires
- Flavor Flav's speeding trial postponed until May
- 'How I Met Your Mother' ratings surge
- Patrick Dempsey's mother dies of cancer at 79
- Robin Roberts to guest judge 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Video of moment derailed O'Hare train careered up stairway
- Close-up pictures of American Alligator show why they're among most feared reptiles
- 'Goodbye YouTubers': Grandfather who became an internet sensation with his home-made videos telling heartfelt and funny anecdotes about his life passes away
Death toll in Washington mudslide 'rises to 24' with dozens still missing: Hope fades that any survivors will be found as rescuers recover two more bodies and believe they have located eight others 'underground' (0)