Son, 24, and two friends 'murdered his hairdresser mother for life insurance cash and $90,000 in bank accounts'
- Qawmane Wilson, 24, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes
- Holmes was a well-known owner of a beauty salon in Uptown Chicago
- Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, and Loriana Johnson, 23, are also charged in the slaying
- Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver
- On Tuesday, Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois, Jr. called the murder a 'heinous act' and ordered all three suspects held without bail
By Helen Pow
PUBLISHED: 20:34 EST, 24 December 2013 | UPDATED: 20:34 EST, 24 December 2013
Charged: Qawmane Wilson, 24, pictured, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes, 45, who was a well-known owner of a beauty salon
A Chicago man is accused of plotting his mother's murder to get access to $90,000 of savings and her two life insurance policies.
Qawmane Wilson, 24, of North Austin, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes, 45, a well-known owner of a beauty salon, whose name is tattooed on his shoulder.
Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, and Loriana Johnson, 23, are also charged in the slaying.
Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver.
On Tuesday, Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois, Jr. called the murder a 'heinous act' and ordered all three suspects held without bail.
Immediately following the hearing, a relative of both Wilson and Holmes collapsed in the hall outside bond court, sobbing, the Chicago Tribune reported.
Holmes was the owner of the Nappy Headz salon in Uptown Chicago.
She was killed at around 4:15 a.m. September 2 at her home in the 1000 block of West Montrose Avenue, authorities said.
She died of multiple stab wounds and a gunshot wound to her head.
Wilson was arrested Sunday after detectives determined he had arranged to 'have his mother murdered,' police told the Tribune.
Assistant State's Attorney Maura White said Wilson was the 'sole beneficiary' of his mother's assets, including two life insurance policies, White said. One week after Holmes' death, Wilson liquidated $90,000 from of his mother’s bank accounts, White said.
Ayonna Anderson, one of Holmes’ friends, told the Chicago Sun-Times Tuesday that she was stunned to learn that Wilson might be involved in his mother's death.
Accomplices: Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, right, and Loriana Johnson, 23, left, are also charged in the slaying. Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver
'She gave him everything he wanted,' said Anderson, a hair stylist who worked in Holmes' salon. 'He wasn't hurting for nothing. Why would you have your mother killed?'
Anderson said Holmes was a single mother and that Wilson, as a boy, would often spend time at the salon.
'He was a salon baby,' Anderson said. 'Everybody know him. We would never think he was capable of doing that. She was a great mom.'
Cell phone records revealed that Wilson called Spencer and Johnson 'before, during and after the murder,' White said.
Both Wilson and Spencer admitted their respective roles in the scheme, she said.
Spencer was arrested Monday and is charged with first degree murder, home invasion, and aggravated discharge of a firearm.
Salon: Holmes was the owner of the Nappy Headz salon, pictured, in the 4100 block of North Broadway
Police say Johnson drove Spencer to and from Holmes' house. She was also arrested Monday and charged with murder and home invasion.
According to the Tribune, Holmes was a fixture in the community and often used her salon in the 4100 block of North Broadway as a venue to publicize or host community events like back-to-school parties for young students. Family and friends said she was always willing to lend a helping hand to those in need.
'She had a real nice personality, always trying to help people,' her uncle James Newman told the Chicago Tribune.
Joseph Adibu, who owns the nearby Broadway Super Coin Laundry, said at the time: 'She is a very good person. For that to happen to her is a blow to a lot of us. It's very painful.'
Wilson, Spencer and Johnson will spend Christmas in jail and are next scheduled to appear in court on January 13.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- EXCLUSIVE: Couple who found $10m hoard of gold coins while walking dog could have broken law by not telling the police
- Want to live in a house with an ocean view from every room? Inspiring pictures of the most incredible homes built last year
- Young blonde says missing Malaysia Airlines pilot invited her and her friend to ride in the cockpit with him for entire flight in 2011
- The Little Couple's Jen Arnold speaks of road to cancer recovery
- Was flight MH370 lost in an aeronautical black hole or did catastrophic power failure prevent air traffic control plotting its every move?
- Cincinatti Bengals cheerleaders banned from wearing underwear on their lower half but require full support up top
- Three-year-old boy makes compelling argument for cupcakes for dinner
- 'Whatever you do don't get the McCafe!' Fast food workers reveal the foods you should never order
- Interpol: Mystery passengers ID’d, Malaysia flight disappearance likely not act of terror
- Why are the cellphones of missing Malaysian Airlines passengers still ringing? Family members claim that loved ones smartphones are still active
- Man charged with stealing 43 bikes around Boulder
- Cornell Robinson, Devery Kelley accused of robbing pregnant woman in labor in Maryland
- Huge 6-ALARM fire visible across the city sends flames 40-feet into the sky as blaze breaks out on waterfront of San Francisco Bay
- Richie Incognito 'admitted to psychiatric unit' after smashing Ferrari
- Crowdpilot app lets ANYONE listen in on your phone calls and give advice
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Cyprus still in mourning over lost citizens of 1964 troubles
- Cañon City community hurting for family murdered
- Kappa Beta Phi: Behind the curtains of Wall Street's most secret society
- Family and friends gather to remember 13-year-old boy who was mauled to death by a bull mastiff last week as he walked home from school
- Lakewood police seeking couple tied to robberies
- California couple strikes gold after finding $10million of 19th century coins buried on their property
- Murder trial of Edward Montour rekindles death penalty debate
- Mayim Bialik defends public breastfeeding
- Denver police officer wins defamation lawsuit against woman who said he gave alcohol to toddler
- Missing Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777 plane collided with another plane 2 years ago
- Katie Holmes will return to TV as a Manhattan socialite in ABC pilot
- Naked ambition: Hundreds of skinny dippers attempt world record for the largest nude ocean swim on Sydney beach
- Cartel boss El Chapo was cooking breakfast for his beauty queen wife when Mexican officials smashed down the door of his secret hideout after he was betrayed
- Fox cubs squabble over a stash of hidden food
- Father calls 911 for help after enraged cat attacks baby then bails whole family - including DOG - up in bedroom
- Broncos sign safety T.J. Ward from Browns, make other free agent moves
- North Pole, Alaska, center of sick story Satanism and serial killers after Miranda Barbour, 19, confesses to 22 murders
- Fighting for their freedom: Thai prison inmates earn parole by beating foreign kickboxers in brutal tournaments and 'bringing honour to their country'
- Second Cherry Creek salon operating illegally
- School teacher accidentally shows footage of herself 'performing sex acts' to middle school classroom
- Michael C. Anyasike, Minnesota high school football star, found dead after drinking party bust
- Pistorius murder trial hears autopsy casts doubt on his claim he and Reeva Steenkamp went to bed at 10pm because she ate three hours later
- Colorado satellite company joins search for missing airliner; You can too
- Justin Bieber waxwork removed from Madame Tussauds in New York
- The dizzying pictures taken from the top of China's tallest building
- American social worker, 35, stabbed to death by cab driver husband of 5 months in their Indian home before he blew himself up
- Vine comedian Nick Spears found dead from apparent heart attack at 35
- Missing pregnant criminology major Loretta Saunders found murdered on Canadian highway
- Parachutist survives after becoming tangled with airplane
- Ferrari parked in London square gouged by lorry tailgate
- Moment 'invisible' orchid mantis pounces on fly caught on camera
- Secret archive of engineer Henry Storborg who worked on fighter plane engine
- Move over Hilaria Baldwin...there's a new yoga mom in town: New Jersey Instagrammer wows more than 700,000 with adorable photos of her and her four-year-old daughter in elaborate poses
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Cornell Robinson, Devery Kelley accused of robbing pregnant woman in labor in Maryland
- Father needed hospital treatment for three inch gash in his head after being attacked by his neighbour's cat because it hated his Hugo Boss AFTERSHAVE
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Business student 'posed on online dating sites as a high-flying engineer and architect to dupe love-struck women from around the world out of £186,000'
- Children undergo traditional 'lucky haircuts' in China (but don't seem happy about it!)
- And the Oscar goes to Samsung, Twitter AND Apple: How Ellen's backstage iPhone antics took the gloss off the now famous A-list selfie retweet taken on rival Galaxy smartphone
- Pictured: The men who stole the car of woman in labor at gunpoint
- Unseasonably warm weather set to make 1,000-mile Iditarod race even MORE grueling as mushers set off