Son, 24, and two friends 'murdered his hairdresser mother for life insurance cash and $90,000 in bank accounts'
- Qawmane Wilson, 24, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes
- Holmes was a well-known owner of a beauty salon in Uptown Chicago
- Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, and Loriana Johnson, 23, are also charged in the slaying
- Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver
- On Tuesday, Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois, Jr. called the murder a 'heinous act' and ordered all three suspects held without bail
By Helen Pow
PUBLISHED: 20:34 EST, 24 December 2013 | UPDATED: 20:34 EST, 24 December 2013
Charged: Qawmane Wilson, 24, pictured, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes, 45, who was a well-known owner of a beauty salon
A Chicago man is accused of plotting his mother's murder to get access to $90,000 of savings and her two life insurance policies.
Qawmane Wilson, 24, of North Austin, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes, 45, a well-known owner of a beauty salon, whose name is tattooed on his shoulder.
Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, and Loriana Johnson, 23, are also charged in the slaying.
Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver.
On Tuesday, Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois, Jr. called the murder a 'heinous act' and ordered all three suspects held without bail.
Immediately following the hearing, a relative of both Wilson and Holmes collapsed in the hall outside bond court, sobbing, the Chicago Tribune reported.
Holmes was the owner of the Nappy Headz salon in Uptown Chicago.
She was killed at around 4:15 a.m. September 2 at her home in the 1000 block of West Montrose Avenue, authorities said.
She died of multiple stab wounds and a gunshot wound to her head.
Wilson was arrested Sunday after detectives determined he had arranged to 'have his mother murdered,' police told the Tribune.
Assistant State's Attorney Maura White said Wilson was the 'sole beneficiary' of his mother's assets, including two life insurance policies, White said. One week after Holmes' death, Wilson liquidated $90,000 from of his mother’s bank accounts, White said.
Ayonna Anderson, one of Holmes’ friends, told the Chicago Sun-Times Tuesday that she was stunned to learn that Wilson might be involved in his mother's death.
Accomplices: Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, right, and Loriana Johnson, 23, left, are also charged in the slaying. Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver
'She gave him everything he wanted,' said Anderson, a hair stylist who worked in Holmes' salon. 'He wasn't hurting for nothing. Why would you have your mother killed?'
Anderson said Holmes was a single mother and that Wilson, as a boy, would often spend time at the salon.
'He was a salon baby,' Anderson said. 'Everybody know him. We would never think he was capable of doing that. She was a great mom.'
Cell phone records revealed that Wilson called Spencer and Johnson 'before, during and after the murder,' White said.
Both Wilson and Spencer admitted their respective roles in the scheme, she said.
Spencer was arrested Monday and is charged with first degree murder, home invasion, and aggravated discharge of a firearm.
Salon: Holmes was the owner of the Nappy Headz salon, pictured, in the 4100 block of North Broadway
Police say Johnson drove Spencer to and from Holmes' house. She was also arrested Monday and charged with murder and home invasion.
According to the Tribune, Holmes was a fixture in the community and often used her salon in the 4100 block of North Broadway as a venue to publicize or host community events like back-to-school parties for young students. Family and friends said she was always willing to lend a helping hand to those in need.
'She had a real nice personality, always trying to help people,' her uncle James Newman told the Chicago Tribune.
Joseph Adibu, who owns the nearby Broadway Super Coin Laundry, said at the time: 'She is a very good person. For that to happen to her is a blow to a lot of us. It's very painful.'
Wilson, Spencer and Johnson will spend Christmas in jail and are next scheduled to appear in court on January 13.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
'I know people who can put a bomb on you': Boston Marathon bombing suspect's sister arrested 'for threatening to BLOW UP her boyfriend's ex in Manhattan'
Ailina Tsarnaeva, 24, charged with aggravated harassment targeting a 23-year-old Harlem resident Tsarnaeva's boyfriend and the Manhattan resident are locked in a custody battle over their three children Ailina and her ...
- Horrific moment hovering TV news helicopter blew plastic off dead body and exposed it on live broadcast
- 'I'll put a round in your a** so quick': Florida police chief defends cop who threatened to shoot young black man because he filmed his partner throwing him on the ground
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Islamic State, ISIS or ISIL: Why it doesn't matter what you call the brutal al-Qaeda offshoot which now boasts more than 80,000 jihadists
- Boston Marathon bombing victim marries nurse who helped him recover
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Want silky skin? Plaster your face with patches, which are said to treat everything from lip wrinkles to frown lines
- Former child model who claims he was sexually abused by X-Men director Bryan Singer drops lawsuit
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Twin brother of Army Sgt mother-of-one who shot herself dead at Fort Lee claims suicide 'came out of nowhere'
- Deputy prosecutor 'exchanged 1300 texts and a photo of herself in a bikini with inmate who has CRIMINAL tattooed on his forehead'
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Sadie Robertson to join 'DWTS'
- Sanrio shocker! Company reveals Hello Kitty is not actually a cat
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Woman, 54, kills leopard with a spade after hour-long fight to the death in Uttarakhand, India
- Terms of Service
- Legroom rage: Why a gadget that stops plane seats tilting back is starting fights on airliners
- Alec Baldwin easily catches stray tennis ball at U.S. Open
- White House sent three officials to Michael Brown funeral but ZERO to James Foley memorial service
- Where is Trenton? Police release age progression photo of boy who disappeared eight years ago from his Florida home when he was just two-years-old
- Father arrested for child endangerment after leaving four-year-old daughter asleep in boiling-hot car as he shopped
- The mother who's proud to parade naked in front of her 13-year-old son
- Public executions are weekly ritual in ISIS-controlled parts of Syria
- ESPN apologizes for Michael Sam report discussing his shower habits
- Kim's a big fan of Man Un-ited! Dictator loves team so much he orders North Korean state TV to illegally show their matches
- Freed journalist Peter Theo Curtis back on US soil and reunited with his mother after 22 months spent as a hostage in Syria
- USC football star Josh Shaw suspended after admiting he lied about spraining ankles while saving nephew from drowning
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Father-daughter bonding: Meet the Texan dad and his girl, 13, who spend their time rounding up nuisance ALLIGATORS
- CDC worker returns to the U.S. after coming in contact with Ebola patient in Africa...but officials say staffer is not a risk to the public
- Chinese teenager to undergo surgery on his extraordinarily long neck
- American born ISIS member killed in Syria was school friends with fellow militant killed in Somalia in 2009
- Joseph Beer gets 5 to 15 years in prison for killing friends while driving high
- Diane Sawyer signs off as anchor of ABC's World News and thanks her viewers for 'the deep privilege' after five years in top spot
- Cops on hunt for cab driver who tried to sexually assault 26-year-old woman in front of her three kids, yanking one child from the car and shoving another on to the sidewalk
- Deputy who killed former Napster COO after drifting into the bike lane while distracted by his laptop will NOT face charges because he was answering a work-related email
- David Chase clarifies remark about Tony Soprano's fate
- Former HHS cyber security chief convicted in child porn case was kept on government payroll for EIGHT MONTHS while under indictment and in custody
- Little girl swears while doing the ice bucket challenge
- Zara children's t-shirts look like concentration camp uniforms
- ABC's Elizabeth Vargas leaves rehab for her alcohol addiction