Son, 24, and two friends 'murdered his hairdresser mother for life insurance cash and $90,000 in bank accounts'
- Qawmane Wilson, 24, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes
- Holmes was a well-known owner of a beauty salon in Uptown Chicago
- Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, and Loriana Johnson, 23, are also charged in the slaying
- Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver
- On Tuesday, Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois, Jr. called the murder a 'heinous act' and ordered all three suspects held without bail
By Helen Pow
PUBLISHED: 20:34 EST, 24 December 2013 | UPDATED: 20:34 EST, 24 December 2013
Charged: Qawmane Wilson, 24, pictured, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes, 45, who was a well-known owner of a beauty salon
A Chicago man is accused of plotting his mother's murder to get access to $90,000 of savings and her two life insurance policies.
Qawmane Wilson, 24, of North Austin, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes, 45, a well-known owner of a beauty salon, whose name is tattooed on his shoulder.
Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, and Loriana Johnson, 23, are also charged in the slaying.
Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver.
On Tuesday, Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois, Jr. called the murder a 'heinous act' and ordered all three suspects held without bail.
Immediately following the hearing, a relative of both Wilson and Holmes collapsed in the hall outside bond court, sobbing, the Chicago Tribune reported.
Holmes was the owner of the Nappy Headz salon in Uptown Chicago.
She was killed at around 4:15 a.m. September 2 at her home in the 1000 block of West Montrose Avenue, authorities said.
She died of multiple stab wounds and a gunshot wound to her head.
Wilson was arrested Sunday after detectives determined he had arranged to 'have his mother murdered,' police told the Tribune.
Assistant State's Attorney Maura White said Wilson was the 'sole beneficiary' of his mother's assets, including two life insurance policies, White said. One week after Holmes' death, Wilson liquidated $90,000 from of his mother’s bank accounts, White said.
Ayonna Anderson, one of Holmes’ friends, told the Chicago Sun-Times Tuesday that she was stunned to learn that Wilson might be involved in his mother's death.
Accomplices: Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, right, and Loriana Johnson, 23, left, are also charged in the slaying. Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver
'She gave him everything he wanted,' said Anderson, a hair stylist who worked in Holmes' salon. 'He wasn't hurting for nothing. Why would you have your mother killed?'
Anderson said Holmes was a single mother and that Wilson, as a boy, would often spend time at the salon.
'He was a salon baby,' Anderson said. 'Everybody know him. We would never think he was capable of doing that. She was a great mom.'
Cell phone records revealed that Wilson called Spencer and Johnson 'before, during and after the murder,' White said.
Both Wilson and Spencer admitted their respective roles in the scheme, she said.
Spencer was arrested Monday and is charged with first degree murder, home invasion, and aggravated discharge of a firearm.
Salon: Holmes was the owner of the Nappy Headz salon, pictured, in the 4100 block of North Broadway
Police say Johnson drove Spencer to and from Holmes' house. She was also arrested Monday and charged with murder and home invasion.
According to the Tribune, Holmes was a fixture in the community and often used her salon in the 4100 block of North Broadway as a venue to publicize or host community events like back-to-school parties for young students. Family and friends said she was always willing to lend a helping hand to those in need.
'She had a real nice personality, always trying to help people,' her uncle James Newman told the Chicago Tribune.
Joseph Adibu, who owns the nearby Broadway Super Coin Laundry, said at the time: 'She is a very good person. For that to happen to her is a blow to a lot of us. It's very painful.'
Wilson, Spencer and Johnson will spend Christmas in jail and are next scheduled to appear in court on January 13.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
Obama fundraiser describes his terrifying turbulence ordeal aboard American Airlines flight that sent five people to the hospital
Boeing 747-200 was flying from Seoul, South Korea to Dallas, TexasPlane was east of Japan when it turned around and diverted to TokyoFifteen passengers reportedly ...
- Jackie Chan's cameraman drowns in Hong Kong filming Skiptrace
- Portrait of a very modern Prince: Harry cuddles up to a group of orphans (and tries his hand at photography) during Lesotho visit
- Cruise passengers warned to take 'quality condoms' on board as rate of STI's rises
- Rosie O'Donnell on a RAMPAGE after Beverly Johnson demands one-on-one with Whoopi Goldberg
- Terrie Sena arrested as part of child sex ring is a licensed substitute teacher
- Ex-model Traci Vaillancourt went on run with cop killer boyfriend is released from prison
- That's a different kind of water-skiing! Incredible pictures show pair of adventurers body board their way down Europe's largest glacier
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Psychologist 'decapitated her abusive husband before scattering his remains across Mexico City'
- How Sony execs cut Angelina Jolie out of group email exchange so they could attack her
- BlackBerrys last gasp? Firm launches $450 classic handset with keyboard in bid to keep customers from defecting to iPhone
- Maryland Maria draws YouTube audience of millions as her whispered voice induces mysterious physical sensation
- Republican politician says abortions should only be allowed if women have written permission from the father... except in cases of 'legitimate rape'
- Electrician out of work for more than three years due to a string of injuries wins $1million from publishers clearing house
- Malala Yousafzai's father says his 'heart is bleeding' over Peshawar school massacre
- Tori Johnson's father's reaction on hearing his son had been killed in the Sydney siege
- Nick Jonas plays on 'Big' FAO Schwarz piano
- Meteorologist Patrick Crawford shot as he left KCEN's studio
- Celebrating curvy women and their beautiful booties: Photographers sensational tribute to models with relatable bodies
- Markus Kaarma convicted of deliberate homicide of Diren Dede
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Kim Kardashian fan Jordan James Parke spent $150,000 on more than FIFTY cosmetic procedures to transform into idol
- Plus-Size Woman ask 21 magazine editors from around the world to fix her using Photoshop
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- One dead and 11 injured as female driver ploughs into crowd leaving church Christmas concert in California
- Inside the secretive world of Bureau 121: Is North Korea's state-sponsored cell of cyber warriors behind the Sony hack?
- Tainted feed kills 4 horses at Florida stable and another 18 are expected to die this week
- 'America has lost its first cyberwar': Newt Gingrich joins Hollywood stars in attacking Sony decision to not distribute The Interview over terrorist threats
- Bizarre footage emerges of man faking heart attack so his friend can steal a motorized power wheel Barbie car
- The mystery of the 'magical' superstrong Viking sword
- Randy Quaid and wife Evgenia suing to get their US passports back
- The Obamas open up about racism, how the President has been mistaken for a valet and their secret White House dance parties
- Lindt manager Tori Johnson was executed by Man Haron Monis as a final act of siege
- Teen buys 5 dollar thrift shop teddy bear for his sister but is mortified to find inside an urn full of someones ashes
- Holly Bobo suspects smirk in court as it's revealed prosecutors STILL haven't come up with evidence they killed her
- $10 million in stolen Los Angeles art recovered
- Rikers Island guard found guilty of deliberately ignoring screaming mentally ill inmate as he lay dying after swallowing caustic soap
- Terrifying video footage emerges of turbulence that injured five on American Airlines flight over Japan
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Library of Congress names Ferris Bueller's Day Off and The Big Lebowski among cinematic treasures picked for long-term preservation
- Producer says Denzel Washington won't make money for Sony because he is black in leaked emails - then claims the rest of the world 'racist'
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Texas mother who was jailed for life for poisoning her adopted son, 4, by 'force feeding him salt' is freed - after she argued he ate it himself
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Innocents massacred as they studied: Utterly heartbreaking pictures of the children cut down by Taliban madmen who slaughtered 132 pupils at military school
- Zoe Saldana, husband Marco Perego welcome twin boys
- Releasing Cuban spies was a 'slap in the face' says families of Florida pilots shot down by Cuban MiGs