Son, 24, and two friends 'murdered his hairdresser mother for life insurance cash and $90,000 in bank accounts'
- Qawmane Wilson, 24, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes
- Holmes was a well-known owner of a beauty salon in Uptown Chicago
- Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, and Loriana Johnson, 23, are also charged in the slaying
- Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver
- On Tuesday, Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois, Jr. called the murder a 'heinous act' and ordered all three suspects held without bail
By Helen Pow
PUBLISHED: 20:34 EST, 24 December 2013 | UPDATED: 20:34 EST, 24 December 2013
Charged: Qawmane Wilson, 24, pictured, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes, 45, who was a well-known owner of a beauty salon
A Chicago man is accused of plotting his mother's murder to get access to $90,000 of savings and her two life insurance policies.
Qawmane Wilson, 24, of North Austin, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes, 45, a well-known owner of a beauty salon, whose name is tattooed on his shoulder.
Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, and Loriana Johnson, 23, are also charged in the slaying.
Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver.
On Tuesday, Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois, Jr. called the murder a 'heinous act' and ordered all three suspects held without bail.
Immediately following the hearing, a relative of both Wilson and Holmes collapsed in the hall outside bond court, sobbing, the Chicago Tribune reported.
Holmes was the owner of the Nappy Headz salon in Uptown Chicago.
She was killed at around 4:15 a.m. September 2 at her home in the 1000 block of West Montrose Avenue, authorities said.
She died of multiple stab wounds and a gunshot wound to her head.
Wilson was arrested Sunday after detectives determined he had arranged to 'have his mother murdered,' police told the Tribune.
Assistant State's Attorney Maura White said Wilson was the 'sole beneficiary' of his mother's assets, including two life insurance policies, White said. One week after Holmes' death, Wilson liquidated $90,000 from of his mother’s bank accounts, White said.
Ayonna Anderson, one of Holmes’ friends, told the Chicago Sun-Times Tuesday that she was stunned to learn that Wilson might be involved in his mother's death.
Accomplices: Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, right, and Loriana Johnson, 23, left, are also charged in the slaying. Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver
'She gave him everything he wanted,' said Anderson, a hair stylist who worked in Holmes' salon. 'He wasn't hurting for nothing. Why would you have your mother killed?'
Anderson said Holmes was a single mother and that Wilson, as a boy, would often spend time at the salon.
'He was a salon baby,' Anderson said. 'Everybody know him. We would never think he was capable of doing that. She was a great mom.'
Cell phone records revealed that Wilson called Spencer and Johnson 'before, during and after the murder,' White said.
Both Wilson and Spencer admitted their respective roles in the scheme, she said.
Spencer was arrested Monday and is charged with first degree murder, home invasion, and aggravated discharge of a firearm.
Salon: Holmes was the owner of the Nappy Headz salon, pictured, in the 4100 block of North Broadway
Police say Johnson drove Spencer to and from Holmes' house. She was also arrested Monday and charged with murder and home invasion.
According to the Tribune, Holmes was a fixture in the community and often used her salon in the 4100 block of North Broadway as a venue to publicize or host community events like back-to-school parties for young students. Family and friends said she was always willing to lend a helping hand to those in need.
'She had a real nice personality, always trying to help people,' her uncle James Newman told the Chicago Tribune.
Joseph Adibu, who owns the nearby Broadway Super Coin Laundry, said at the time: 'She is a very good person. For that to happen to her is a blow to a lot of us. It's very painful.'
Wilson, Spencer and Johnson will spend Christmas in jail and are next scheduled to appear in court on January 13.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Groom Mark Williams, 33, tried to force a pregnant waitress, 19, to have shots with him before getting 'handsy' with her, she saysThe brawl started ...
- Bryan Hamade denies he's the hacker who leaked celebrity nude photos
- Steven Sotloff beheading video released by ISIS
- Romanian footballer's girlfriend in row over animal cruelty after posting bizarre picture of pet puppy nibbling her bra
- Nordic diet volunteers lost three times as much weight as others
- Woman is killed along with her three children and boyfriend in plane crash near Erie airport
- 'The colour of his skin is of no concern - Jonah being a healthy and happy baby is what matters': White child is born to black mother - beating odds of a million-to-one
- Three American captives held in North Korea say their plight is 'urgent' and beg U.S. government for help in new interview
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Israel under fire for 'largest West Bank land grab in 30 years' as soldiers swoop on 1,000 acres of Palestinian territory
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Would you sell YOUR privacy for $100 a month? Market researchers scrutinise web searches and viewing habits for a fee
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- FBI involved in Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton nude photo leaks
- Will Saudi Arabia MOVE Prophet Muhammad's remains?
- Louisiana TV host shot dead by son-in-law who was also believed to be his lover in alleged murder-suicide attempt
- Did iCloud's 'Find My iPhone' function help hackers steal celebrities' 'nude' photos? Flaw may have exposed hundreds of images
- New York's West Indian Day Parade again marred by violence - this time before it even starts
- Clifton engagement ring box springs open to present sparkler like a blooming flower
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Why millions of Pakistani children are falling prey to vicious paedophiles
- Parents of nine-year-old girl who accidentally shot gun instructor dead with an Uzi didn't realize he was hit because she was complaining recoil hurt her shoulder
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Joan Rivers joked about 'going in for procedure' the night before operation
- Iraqi TV's cartoon satire on terror, ISIS, and jihadis
- Dozens of teenagers escape from detention center under a weak spot in the fence
- Quiz to see if YOU are less computer literate than a 5-year-old?
- Thomas Knights' photography proves red headed men can be 'sexy' and 'heroic' in New York exhibition
- Man repeatedly stabs pit-bull after it attacked his Westie Terrier in front of dozens of horrified families at adoption event
- Spotted in Primark at 15, the single mum who is the new Naomi Campbell (and is making millions after leaving her drug dealer lover)
- When does a houseboat become just a house? As California is hit with one of its worst droughts in decades scientists warn they could soon last up to 30 years at a time
- Indonesian student six years jail for calling city 'stupid' social media
- Is this ISIS' youngest jihadi 'cub'?: Disturbing footage emerges of young child in full terror garb shooting an AK47
- Hacked nude celebrity photos had been on the internet black market for a WEEK - and there could be even more to come
- David Cameron unveils new terror crackdown as Scots girl incites massacre on Britain
- Joan Rivers is STILL on life support, daughter Melissa reveals, despite earlier claims 81-year-old comic was 'on the road to recovery'
- Anti-government protesters storm Pakistan state television station and 'beat journalists'
- Liberated from ISIS: Iraqi minority celebrate end of two-month siege after fundamentalists are defeated by Shia militias backed by American air power
- Gym teacher sentenced to 20 months in prison for two-year sexual relationship she had with 15-year-old male student
- Russia threatens NATO as it warns it is updating its military doctrine
- The puppy who got a second chance: Heart-warming story of near ferial abandoned dog who became a lovable pet after being rescued and given a little TLC
- Mother accused of killing her severely disabled daughter, eight, could still inherit $1 million of her trust fund even if she is convicted
- Water way to see the Windy City! Virtual tourists can go on tour of Chicago's canals in hyper-speed video filmed on a boat
- White British girl who's now a 'celebrity jihadi': Mother-of-two a 'top priority' for MI6 and she calls on Muslims to join the terror group
- Young father who lost lips and all four limbs to a flesh-eating bug endures two days of surgery to rebuild his mouth
- Staten Island teen dead under mysterious circumstances when he collapses during football practice