Son, 24, and two friends 'murdered his hairdresser mother for life insurance cash and $90,000 in bank accounts'
- Qawmane Wilson, 24, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes
- Holmes was a well-known owner of a beauty salon in Uptown Chicago
- Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, and Loriana Johnson, 23, are also charged in the slaying
- Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver
- On Tuesday, Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois, Jr. called the murder a 'heinous act' and ordered all three suspects held without bail
By Helen Pow
PUBLISHED: 20:34 EST, 24 December 2013 | UPDATED: 20:34 EST, 24 December 2013
Charged: Qawmane Wilson, 24, pictured, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes, 45, who was a well-known owner of a beauty salon
A Chicago man is accused of plotting his mother's murder to get access to $90,000 of savings and her two life insurance policies.
Qawmane Wilson, 24, of North Austin, has been charged with murder and home invasion in the September 2012 death of his mother, Yolanda Holmes, 45, a well-known owner of a beauty salon, whose name is tattooed on his shoulder.
Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, and Loriana Johnson, 23, are also charged in the slaying.
Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver.
On Tuesday, Cook County Judge Adam Bourgeois, Jr. called the murder a 'heinous act' and ordered all three suspects held without bail.
Immediately following the hearing, a relative of both Wilson and Holmes collapsed in the hall outside bond court, sobbing, the Chicago Tribune reported.
Holmes was the owner of the Nappy Headz salon in Uptown Chicago.
She was killed at around 4:15 a.m. September 2 at her home in the 1000 block of West Montrose Avenue, authorities said.
She died of multiple stab wounds and a gunshot wound to her head.
Wilson was arrested Sunday after detectives determined he had arranged to 'have his mother murdered,' police told the Tribune.
Assistant State's Attorney Maura White said Wilson was the 'sole beneficiary' of his mother's assets, including two life insurance policies, White said. One week after Holmes' death, Wilson liquidated $90,000 from of his mother’s bank accounts, White said.
Ayonna Anderson, one of Holmes’ friends, told the Chicago Sun-Times Tuesday that she was stunned to learn that Wilson might be involved in his mother's death.
Accomplices: Wilson's friends Eugene Spencer, 22, right, and Loriana Johnson, 23, left, are also charged in the slaying. Prosecutors say Spencer killed Holmes, and Johnson served as Spencer's driver
'She gave him everything he wanted,' said Anderson, a hair stylist who worked in Holmes' salon. 'He wasn't hurting for nothing. Why would you have your mother killed?'
Anderson said Holmes was a single mother and that Wilson, as a boy, would often spend time at the salon.
'He was a salon baby,' Anderson said. 'Everybody know him. We would never think he was capable of doing that. She was a great mom.'
Cell phone records revealed that Wilson called Spencer and Johnson 'before, during and after the murder,' White said.
Both Wilson and Spencer admitted their respective roles in the scheme, she said.
Spencer was arrested Monday and is charged with first degree murder, home invasion, and aggravated discharge of a firearm.
Salon: Holmes was the owner of the Nappy Headz salon, pictured, in the 4100 block of North Broadway
Police say Johnson drove Spencer to and from Holmes' house. She was also arrested Monday and charged with murder and home invasion.
According to the Tribune, Holmes was a fixture in the community and often used her salon in the 4100 block of North Broadway as a venue to publicize or host community events like back-to-school parties for young students. Family and friends said she was always willing to lend a helping hand to those in need.
'She had a real nice personality, always trying to help people,' her uncle James Newman told the Chicago Tribune.
Joseph Adibu, who owns the nearby Broadway Super Coin Laundry, said at the time: 'She is a very good person. For that to happen to her is a blow to a lot of us. It's very painful.'
Wilson, Spencer and Johnson will spend Christmas in jail and are next scheduled to appear in court on January 13.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Surfer's worst nightmare: Drone footage captures a massive shark circling paddle boarders in the water as it chases school of fish
Footage was shot at Killcare Beach on the NSW Central Coast on FridayDrone pilot Tom Caska captured the moment a great white started following a ...
- Jasmine Tridevil adds third breast in bid to become reality TV star
- Tragedy as father-of-two dies after being hit in the head by baseball during warm up for 12-year-old son's Little League game
- Fury over NY Times critic who called 'Scandal' and 'Grey's Anatomy' creator Shonda Rhimes an 'angry black woman'
- Pictured: The two men who 'breached White House security one after the other' - an Iraq vet with PTSD who 'jumped the fence with a knife', and a 19-year-old college student
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Pirouetting palace sentry Samuel Holmes facing three weeks in military jail for YouTube antics is unmasked
- Andrew J Marsico 'raped woman in his office after inviting her for a job interview at 10pm'
- Afghan soldiers visiting U.S. vanish from Cape Cod Mall in Hyannis
- Melanie Griffith displays her very slender frame in black leggings as she jets into LAX with daughter Stella after whirlwind NY trip
- CBS executive's wife Jill Tarlov dies days after collision with cyclist in Central Park
- Rescuers pull hiker from Idaho mountain after she was pinned under 2-TON boulder
- William Lopez who wrongly served 23 years dies from ashthma attack
- Bride to be killed in car crash and fiance injured on way back from pre-marriage counselling session
- Woman accused of breaking into Tennessee elementary school cafeteria in her underwear and wielding baseball bat while screaming
- 'World's sexiest criminal' Stéphanie Boudoin charged with 114 COUNTS
- Gangsters shot dead boy, 9, who had stormed out of his home in a fight over a cupcake because they thought he was working for their rivals
- Barbara Walters bumped from The View? ABC 'refused to let show's co-creator appear live in premier of new line-up'
- 49ers player Colin Kaepernick is being fined $11,000 for allegedly calling Chicago Bears player Lamarr Houston the 'N word' even though BOTH PLAYERS deny any racial slurs were uttered
- Miracle survival of baby washed 200ft and buried in mud by floodwater that tore down bedroom wall
- Harry Potter star Emma Watson says she has experienced sexism since age eight in speech as UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women
- Jennifer Aniston, the Duchess of Cambridge and... Margaret Thatcher! The most popular hairstyles ever created (and the women who wore them) revealed
- 'I was in too much shock to scream': Australian tourist, 21, who was shot in the face in New Orleans is trying to raise $135,000 to reconstruct her face... because her travel insurance won't cover the costs
- Graduate map shows huge increase in US adults going to college and getting a degree since 1970... even though tuition has risen by 400%
- It can't be too far off! VERY pregnant Chelsea Clinton appears at star-studded gala as dad Bill reveals October 1 due date
- Into the deep! Rare 350kg colossal squid found in the Antarctic is defrosted and examined by scientists for the first time
- Boy who danced while he was being treated for Ebola in heart-warming video is one of lucky few to make full recovery and leave treatment camp in Liberia
- Seven-month-old baby girl orphaned after parents found dead in suspected murder-suicide
- Is this British grandmother the real Queen of Denmark? Woman claims to be the secret great grandchild of 'childless' Frederik VII and his ballerina wife
- Fifth 'armed and dangerous' inmate who broke out of California jail is captured and put back in custody 24 hours after four other escapees were apprehended
- Coffee that tastes like BEER? Starbucks tests the new non-alcoholic Dark Barrel Latte designed to taste like Guinness
- Senator Mary Landrieu helps college kids do keg stands at ball game
- Photo shows every plane landing at LaGuardia Airport in New York over one hour
- Sarah Palin finally speaks out about Alaska brawl
- Garnett Spears 'who died from salt overdose' was treated as a baby but 'no one reported it as possible abuse'
- Testosterone-fuelled elephant fights black rhino as she protects her calf
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Would Dowager approve? Couples can now get legally wed Downton Abbey style ... in the courtroom where Mr Bates was tried
- 'My David died a hero': Father of backpacker murdered in Thailand says his son tried to save female victim as it's revealed she may have been raped by two local men
- Paula Deen to appear on 'Today' and 'The Chew' this week
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Person of interest' in hunt for missing Hannah Graham is a nursing assistant claims he did NOT drive off with her in his car...as ONE THOUSAND volunteers search for her
- German families who lost relatives when MH17 flight was shot down plan to sue Ukraine for negligence
- E-cigarettes DON'T help cancer patients stop smoking 'because they become more nicotine dependent'
- Turkey closes borders as 130,000 Syrians flee Isis onslaught against innocents with stolen tanks and artillery
- Kelly Brook's breasts are scientifically perfect, says top plastic surgeon
- Couple who lived on takeaways shed more than 13st between them after discovering how to make kebabs at home
- Queen back at the helm with a visit to Malta: Historic family trip planned for next November with her three heirs
- U.S. owners of Shanghai meat factory accused of supplying expired meat to American fast food chains lays off 340 staff members
- Kim Kardashian's name is dragged into iCloud scandal as nude pictures surface online
Empty morgues, abandoned wards and corridors overrun with ivy: Inside the deserted Maryland tuberculosis sanatorium where children with the deadly infection were left isolated... and some say it's haunted (0)