US Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long reunited with Siberian parents
- Long travelled to the Siberian village of Tem to meet her biological family for the first time
- Her biological parents were teenagers when they had Long and were convinced they could not cope with caring for her
- Long was adopted by an American couple and grew up in Baltimore
- She has won 12 gold medals at three Paralympic Games
By Alex Ward
PUBLISHED: 08:12 EST, 16 December 2013 | UPDATED: 08:39 EST, 16 December 2013
This is the heartwarming moment that US Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long met her Siberian parents for the first time after they rejected her because of her disability.
The 21-year-old posted the image on Twitter with the words ‘Meet my Russian family. I love them more than words can say. My heart is so full’.
Long travelled to the village of Tem in the Irkutsk region of Siberia to meet her biological parents Natalia and Oleg Valtysheva who gave her up to a grim orphanage, convinced by doctors that they could not care for their ‘crippled’ baby.
'My heart is so full': U.S. Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long (centre) was reunited with her biological parents Natalia (second from left) and Oleg Valtysheva (first from right) and her siblings (first from left and second from right) in Siberia after the couple gave her up because she was 'crippled'
The couple, who are still together today and went on to have three other children, started dating when Natalia was just 16-years-old.
She told the Siberian Times: ‘My little girl was born pre-term and I was told that she would be an invalid for life and that she would be unable to walk.’
'Life changing moments': Long shared her excitement about her family reunion on Twitter with her 11,400 followers
Warmly welcomed: Long travelled to Bratsk, visiting the orphanage before meeting her family who learned of her identity after Russian journalists traced the Siberian family members down
The baby, who the couple called Tanya, was then adopted by American couple Beth and Steve Long from the orphanage in Bratsk and grew up in Baltimore, Maryland.
Natalia said: 'What a worthless thing am I? I kept thinking of her all the time… but then I learned that Tanya was adopted by an American couple.’
The Siberian couple had no idea that their biological daughter gone to be a world champion swimmer until Russian journalists tracked down the couple after Long's success at the London Paralympics last year.
Long said she had always known that she was adopted but had never known the true identity of her biological parents.
Given away for disability: The Valtyshevas, who were teenagers when they gave birth to Long (pictured as a toddler), were convinced by doctors that they could not cope with their 'crippled' daughter
One of the most successful American Paralympians: Long (pictured at the Beijing 2008 Paralympics) has won 12 gold medals at three Paralympic Games
Growing up in America: Long (pictured as a baby, right, and as a young girl, left) was adopted by American couple Beth and Steve Long and grew up in Baltimore, Maryland
Thought of her all the time: Natalia and Oleg (pictured) did not know that Long had grown up to become a world champion Paralympic swimmer
Long, who has won 12 gold medals at
three Paralympics, was born without heels, ankles and fibulas as well as
most of the bones in her feet, a condition known as fibular hemimelia.
Her legs were amputated when she was just 18-months-old and she learned to walk with prostheses.
Before she met her parents in Siberia, Long visited the orphanage in Bratsk on the trip she called ‘life changing moments’.
Natalia and Oleg had their second daughter Nastya a year after Long and despite being born with a similar condition, infantile cerebral paralysis, but they decided to keep her.
They also now have twins, a boy and a girl.
Long's mother works as a cleaner in the village school and Oleg drives a logging truck.
During their reunion, Natalia gave her daughter the local delicacy of pickled cucumbers.
Long gave her mother a necklace and a Russian-language bible to Oleg, her father.
Long was just 12-years-old and the youngest competitor on the U.S. Paralympic team when she won three gold medals at the 2004 Paralympic Games in Greece.
She is currently the world record holder in 13 Paralympic events.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
NEW YORK, Nov. 23 (UPI) -- Three-time Oscar-winning actress Meryl Streep hinted that the rap skills she demonstrates as the witch in the movie Into ...
- Body of missing mother found naked and bloody outside Philadelphia shopping mall just days after her release from prison
- 'How could I deny my sons the possibility of being together?' Couple adopt two boys... and then agree to adopt SIX more of their brothers
- Unemployed nurse, 44, who shot three children before turning gun on herself dies from injuries as it is revealed she was having financial problems
- Step aside Kim Kardashian, Odell Beckham Jr broke the internet
- Grieving Diane Sawyer seen for the first time since the death of director husband Mike Nichols
- 'I am incompetent!' America's most bungling lawyer dresses as Thomas Jefferson and gets himself disbarred for 'inexplicable incompetence'
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Mother-of-two stabbed to death in the chest while jogging in Connecticut
- 'Greatest catch of all time': A new football star is born as Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. defies gravity on Sunday Night Football
- Woman who was raped, beaten and set on fire in Kansas park dies a week later
- 'The cops know what they're doing, he doesn't': Father's grief after 12-year-old son is shot dead by Cleveland police for 'waving around' BB gun in playground
- Peytpn James commits suicide after years of verbal and physical abuse from his classmates
- Mikael Lindnord who adopted stray dog now waits months to be reunited
- Woman, 26, accidentally kills herself while 'playing with gun she bought to defend herself in violent Ferguson protests'
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Boy, 12, carrying a BB gun shot TWICE by Cleveland cop despite witness telling 911 dispatcher the weapon was 'probably fake'
- Boy, 3, critically wounded after being shot in his mouth while playing with his four -year-old neighbor
- Mother-of-three vanishes on lunch break after stepping out of childcare center to call her husband
- Anger at family who dressed their transgender daughter Jennifer Gable as a man in open casket
- Christopher Roney set to be executed in January for killing female cop
- African nanny secretly filmed throwing child across a room, beating her, STOMPING on her and then kicking her in the ribs after the child was sick as she ate dinner
- Prosecutor dismisses traffic ticket against 16-year-old who lost five members of his family when he 'fell asleep at the wheel'
- Get ready for a white Thanksgiving! Snow to hit New York City for the holidays threatening travel chaos
- Diana Ross presents Dick Clark Award for Excellence to Taylor Swift
- No need to pitch a tent outside Best Buy! Amazon starts Black Friday sale a full WEEK early
- 'If we left, they wouldn't have nobody': Heroic janitor and cook recall how they cared for at least 16 elderly patients after residential home was abandoned by staff
- Top 9/11 lawyer accuses Napoli Bern of using prostitutes during legal dispute
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Playboy playmate among new women to accuse of Cosby of sexual assault as his lawyer describes claims as 'increasingly ridiculous'
- Woman fights for school district to help her son who suffers from seizures, 7, use his service dog in class
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Moment couple's wedding was ruined by officiator who dropped the rings
- Woman who 'had affair with Robert Rosenkranz' confronts wife on Twitter
- 'SNL's Michael Che to Bill Cosby: Pull your pants up
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Ferguson cop Darren Wilson married fellow police officer last month
- Mystery of former soldier who stood on bridge and saluted at passing cars is solved as he reveals himself as an Army helicopter pilot
- Terms of Service
- One Direction, Katy Perry, Iggy Azalea, Beyonce win big at the American Music Awards
- Teacher with terminal brain cancer who traveled the nation to meet former students and ask if he made a difference to their lives passes away aged 41
- New York City high school offers two-day course teaching students about interacting with police officers
- Taylor Swift, Lorde help Sarah Hyland celebrate her birthday
- Rurik Jutting given all-clear by psychiatrists to face charges over murder of two prostitutes in his Hong Kong flat
- SNL takes aim at Obama's executive order that vetoed Congress to grant amnesty to five million immigrants