US Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long reunited with Siberian parents
- Long travelled to the Siberian village of Tem to meet her biological family for the first time
- Her biological parents were teenagers when they had Long and were convinced they could not cope with caring for her
- Long was adopted by an American couple and grew up in Baltimore
- She has won 12 gold medals at three Paralympic Games
By Alex Ward
PUBLISHED: 08:12 EST, 16 December 2013 | UPDATED: 08:39 EST, 16 December 2013
This is the heartwarming moment that US Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long met her Siberian parents for the first time after they rejected her because of her disability.
The 21-year-old posted the image on Twitter with the words ‘Meet my Russian family. I love them more than words can say. My heart is so full’.
Long travelled to the village of Tem in the Irkutsk region of Siberia to meet her biological parents Natalia and Oleg Valtysheva who gave her up to a grim orphanage, convinced by doctors that they could not care for their ‘crippled’ baby.
'My heart is so full': U.S. Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long (centre) was reunited with her biological parents Natalia (second from left) and Oleg Valtysheva (first from right) and her siblings (first from left and second from right) in Siberia after the couple gave her up because she was 'crippled'
The couple, who are still together today and went on to have three other children, started dating when Natalia was just 16-years-old.
She told the Siberian Times: ‘My little girl was born pre-term and I was told that she would be an invalid for life and that she would be unable to walk.’
'Life changing moments': Long shared her excitement about her family reunion on Twitter with her 11,400 followers
Warmly welcomed: Long travelled to Bratsk, visiting the orphanage before meeting her family who learned of her identity after Russian journalists traced the Siberian family members down
The baby, who the couple called Tanya, was then adopted by American couple Beth and Steve Long from the orphanage in Bratsk and grew up in Baltimore, Maryland.
Natalia said: 'What a worthless thing am I? I kept thinking of her all the time… but then I learned that Tanya was adopted by an American couple.’
The Siberian couple had no idea that their biological daughter gone to be a world champion swimmer until Russian journalists tracked down the couple after Long's success at the London Paralympics last year.
Long said she had always known that she was adopted but had never known the true identity of her biological parents.
Given away for disability: The Valtyshevas, who were teenagers when they gave birth to Long (pictured as a toddler), were convinced by doctors that they could not cope with their 'crippled' daughter
One of the most successful American Paralympians: Long (pictured at the Beijing 2008 Paralympics) has won 12 gold medals at three Paralympic Games
Growing up in America: Long (pictured as a baby, right, and as a young girl, left) was adopted by American couple Beth and Steve Long and grew up in Baltimore, Maryland
Thought of her all the time: Natalia and Oleg (pictured) did not know that Long had grown up to become a world champion Paralympic swimmer
Long, who has won 12 gold medals at
three Paralympics, was born without heels, ankles and fibulas as well as
most of the bones in her feet, a condition known as fibular hemimelia.
Her legs were amputated when she was just 18-months-old and she learned to walk with prostheses.
Before she met her parents in Siberia, Long visited the orphanage in Bratsk on the trip she called ‘life changing moments’.
Natalia and Oleg had their second daughter Nastya a year after Long and despite being born with a similar condition, infantile cerebral paralysis, but they decided to keep her.
They also now have twins, a boy and a girl.
Long's mother works as a cleaner in the village school and Oleg drives a logging truck.
During their reunion, Natalia gave her daughter the local delicacy of pickled cucumbers.
Long gave her mother a necklace and a Russian-language bible to Oleg, her father.
Long was just 12-years-old and the youngest competitor on the U.S. Paralympic team when she won three gold medals at the 2004 Paralympic Games in Greece.
She is currently the world record holder in 13 Paralympic events.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
School board upholds suspension of football coaches whose players were sexually assaulting teammates - as angry adults and current players come out to defend the men
The football coaching staff at Sayreville War Memorial High School were suspended with pay this evening by the Board of Education This comes after seven players ...
- Casey Baird's horror after daughter Tawnee is stabbed to death 'by her lesbian partner'
- Darren Deon Vann: Suspected Indiana serial killer's marriage to a woman 29 years older than him revealed as he's accused of killing seven women over 20 years
- Megan Mahoney busted for having sex with 16-year-old student
- Brazilian murderer Tiago Henrique Gomes da Rocha killed 'because he was sexually abused'
- The ghosts of U576 found 30 miles off the Carolina coast, 72 years after doomed submarine sank when captain launched a suicidal attack against merchant vessel
- Afrikka Hardy's mother reveals she tried to video call her daughter before death
- On the run from ISIS: Heartbreaking pictures of Kobane refugees who fled for their lives across Turkish border to escape fanatics
- Father who shot dead his two children and wounded the third before killing himself told wife to call off their divorce or he would kill the kids
- Anni Dewani's cousin was told that Anni and Shrien were only 'acting'
- Father, 24, appears in court wearing 'suicide smock' to be charged with killing his one-month-old son by throwing him nine-feet across a room'
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- How to boost YOUR mobile phone's battery life: Interactive guide gives tailor-made tips for individual handsets
- Husband, 100, dies 28 HOURS after his wife of 73 years... and the last thing he did was whisper 'call me home' as she faded away
- Renee Zellweger responds to criticism of her new look
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- New details of alleged rape by lawyer Sanford Rubenstein after Al Sharpton's birthday bash - as accuser's lawyers demand he be charged
- The cats squeeze themselves into the most unbelievable spaces
- Teen mother charged with attempted capital murder 'for trying to suffocate her son'
- Texas investor Sam Wyly files for bankruptcy after losing SEC fraud case
- Man on fire runs through Brooklyn with clothes MELTING off his body after blast 'sparked by hookah pipe chemicals'
- CDC issues new guidelines for treating Ebola patients that ALL skin must be covered, after two nurses of patient zero contracted the virus
- Mango forced to apologize for 'anti-Semitic' shirt bearing lightning bolts similar to insignia worn by the SS in Nazi Germany
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Teacher caught on camera dragging female student and ripping off her entire shirt in classroom fight
- Almost ALL of Silicon Valley's political donations are to liberal candidates new data reveals
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Girl, 16, with a heart condition collapses and dies while walking through haunted house
- Palin family brawl photos show guests with open wounds, raw knuckles and blood-soaked pavement just moments after the family got into drunken fight at Alaskan birthday party
- Crime boss heading one of Mexico's most violent drug cartels is arrested while enjoying trip in the U.S. and faces life in prison
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Woman who got stuck in chimney had been dumped by homeowner she met online and had already been caught on his roof once before
- Sarah Jessica Parker angers Sex and the City Carrie Bradshaw's stoop owners with shoot
- Persecuted Yazidis forced to take shelter in shell of unfinished luxury hotel in Iraq after fleeing ISIS
- ISIS's weirdest Western jihadi: Australian 17-year-old who vows to fly Islamist flag over Buckingham Palace and now calls himself Abu Khaled (but his family call him 'idiot')
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Images show first-person view of firefighters tackling America's wildfires
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Creepy photographs show how America celebrated Halloween from the aftermath of the Civil War to the height of the Cold War
- Larry King shares thoughts on everything from Donald Duck to Oreo cookies
- Canadian soldier is killed in a hit-and-run by young Islam convert who was feared to have jihadist ambitions in attack that was 'clearly linked to terrorist ideology'
- Frankie Grande to star in 'Rock of Ages' on Broadway
- Malala Yousafzai receives Philadelphia Liberty Medal: Teenage Nobel laureate joins Nelson Mandela, Thurgood Marshall and Jimmy Carter in winning prestigious honor
- Civil rights campaigner pulls COP over for illegally driving unmarked patrol car and lets him off with a warning
- Kate dazzles in baby blue gown at black tie event at the Natural History Museum as she makes second public appearance of the day after battle with severe morning sickness
- Terms of Service