US Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long reunited with Siberian parents
- Long travelled to the Siberian village of Tem to meet her biological family for the first time
- Her biological parents were teenagers when they had Long and were convinced they could not cope with caring for her
- Long was adopted by an American couple and grew up in Baltimore
- She has won 12 gold medals at three Paralympic Games
By Alex Ward
PUBLISHED: 08:12 EST, 16 December 2013 | UPDATED: 08:39 EST, 16 December 2013
This is the heartwarming moment that US Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long met her Siberian parents for the first time after they rejected her because of her disability.
The 21-year-old posted the image on Twitter with the words ‘Meet my Russian family. I love them more than words can say. My heart is so full’.
Long travelled to the village of Tem in the Irkutsk region of Siberia to meet her biological parents Natalia and Oleg Valtysheva who gave her up to a grim orphanage, convinced by doctors that they could not care for their ‘crippled’ baby.
'My heart is so full': U.S. Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long (centre) was reunited with her biological parents Natalia (second from left) and Oleg Valtysheva (first from right) and her siblings (first from left and second from right) in Siberia after the couple gave her up because she was 'crippled'
The couple, who are still together today and went on to have three other children, started dating when Natalia was just 16-years-old.
She told the Siberian Times: ‘My little girl was born pre-term and I was told that she would be an invalid for life and that she would be unable to walk.’
'Life changing moments': Long shared her excitement about her family reunion on Twitter with her 11,400 followers
Warmly welcomed: Long travelled to Bratsk, visiting the orphanage before meeting her family who learned of her identity after Russian journalists traced the Siberian family members down
The baby, who the couple called Tanya, was then adopted by American couple Beth and Steve Long from the orphanage in Bratsk and grew up in Baltimore, Maryland.
Natalia said: 'What a worthless thing am I? I kept thinking of her all the time… but then I learned that Tanya was adopted by an American couple.’
The Siberian couple had no idea that their biological daughter gone to be a world champion swimmer until Russian journalists tracked down the couple after Long's success at the London Paralympics last year.
Long said she had always known that she was adopted but had never known the true identity of her biological parents.
Given away for disability: The Valtyshevas, who were teenagers when they gave birth to Long (pictured as a toddler), were convinced by doctors that they could not cope with their 'crippled' daughter
One of the most successful American Paralympians: Long (pictured at the Beijing 2008 Paralympics) has won 12 gold medals at three Paralympic Games
Growing up in America: Long (pictured as a baby, right, and as a young girl, left) was adopted by American couple Beth and Steve Long and grew up in Baltimore, Maryland
Thought of her all the time: Natalia and Oleg (pictured) did not know that Long had grown up to become a world champion Paralympic swimmer
Long, who has won 12 gold medals at
three Paralympics, was born without heels, ankles and fibulas as well as
most of the bones in her feet, a condition known as fibular hemimelia.
Her legs were amputated when she was just 18-months-old and she learned to walk with prostheses.
Before she met her parents in Siberia, Long visited the orphanage in Bratsk on the trip she called ‘life changing moments’.
Natalia and Oleg had their second daughter Nastya a year after Long and despite being born with a similar condition, infantile cerebral paralysis, but they decided to keep her.
They also now have twins, a boy and a girl.
Long's mother works as a cleaner in the village school and Oleg drives a logging truck.
During their reunion, Natalia gave her daughter the local delicacy of pickled cucumbers.
Long gave her mother a necklace and a Russian-language bible to Oleg, her father.
Long was just 12-years-old and the youngest competitor on the U.S. Paralympic team when she won three gold medals at the 2004 Paralympic Games in Greece.
She is currently the world record holder in 13 Paralympic events.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Car thief is forced to pull over and release an infant and a pair of seven year old twin boys after they beat the driver with a toy snake until he let them go
- Al Roker's bicep needed to be reattached after rotator cuff surgery
- Husband and wife, both police officers in Chicago, dead in apparent murder-suicide
- Anderson Cooper will NOT inherit any of his mother's Vanderbilt millions when she dies
- Three candidates for Fire Board meet with community; Three withdraw, citing dirty politics
- Trace Adkins' wife sets the scene for a bitter divorce with restraining order - as he's linked with curvacious blonde co-star
- Terry Richardson faces fresh harassment claims as British model alleges 'he offered her a Vogue photo-shoot in exchange for SEX'
- Captain America beats up the competition at the box office for third straight weekend while Johnny Depp disappoints again
- BREAKING NEWS: 16-year-old boy survives UNHARMED after flying from California to Hawaii in the wheel-well
- Six-month pregnant journalist taken to hospital for treatment after pro-Kremlin political leader ordered his aides to 'violently rape her' during press conference when she asked about sanctions against Ukraine
- Auto-motorcycle crash closes Highway 2 in Commerce City
- New York woman accidentally steals car while helping daughter
- Dane Witherspoon, soap opera star, dies at 56
- Discovery of long-lost World War II dog tags may solve the 70-year-old mystery of a soldier's death
- Adam Pearson hopes to beat prejudice after Under The Skin
- How can Chanel charge £2,100 for a bag a child can make for £7?
- Search for missing El Paso County woman
- Search for Austrian teens Samra Kesinovic and Sabina Selimovic 'in Syria fighting for Islamic rebels'
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- 'I will be back!': Jim Kelly says he's bouncing back from cancer in thank you message to fans
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- Sean Studler, 17, dragged by train and killed 'was wearing headphones'
- Mike Myers and wife Kelly Tisdale welcome baby girl
- Father speeds his newborn baby to the hospital with one hand cradling the infant and the on the wheel after roadside delivery
- Facebook murder: Two teenagers shot dead following a 'petty argument' with their killer on the social network
- Now your TV could be infected by computer viruses: Technology security expert warns cyber criminals could infect millions of devices
- Sharny Kieser encourages women to have a bikini shoot after losing pregnancy weight
- DEA announces Pueblo County meth trafficking ring bust
- Authorities search for inmate firefighter, 49, who escaped from a California facility and 'drove off in a vehicle on the highway'
- Michael Schumacher is SUED for 'causing motorbike crash' in Spain before his ski accident - despite still being in a coma
- Green Mountain Falls re-elects mayor, also votes on trustees
- Woman has 50 orgasms a DAY due to Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder
- Life in prison sentence for murder of Commerce City jewelry store owner
- Michael Jackson's bodyguards reveal the King of Pop's romances in tell-all book
- Man pictured at monster truck rally drinking can of beer and bottle of syrup because he's diabetic
- Easter morning horror as girl, 16, is killed by neighbor who 'drunkenly' crashed his car through her bedroom at 80MPH as she slept
- Britain's last surviving Dambusters veteran calls for a special medal for those involved in daring raid
- Scott Disick's bulge spotted in revealing pajama pants à la Jon Hamm
- Michael Schumacher's wife builds £10million medical suite in their mansion to look after stricken F1 Ace when he leaves hospital after being told it is unlikely he will wake
- Bird flu alert in Japan as deadly H5 virus is confirmed on farm
- Rapper Christ Bearer cuts off his own penis and jumps off building in suicide attempt
- Remembering Loveland Pass avalanche victims one year later
- American parents heartbroken as Congolese government refuses to hand over orphans they adopted a year ago
- Last week to the Boston marathon brings festivities and tight security
- Bob Geldof expected to give eulogy for daughter Peaches at her funeral today in front of hundreds of mourners including Bono and Annie Lennox
- You've only got 12 MINUTES to impress on a first date! Body odour and bad breath most off-putting during initial encounter, while a smile and eye contact work wonders
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Deputies: JeffCo domestic homicide victim IDed, suspect arrested
- 'Avengers 2': First glimpses of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver from 'Age of Ultron'