US Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long reunited with Siberian parents
- Long travelled to the Siberian village of Tem to meet her biological family for the first time
- Her biological parents were teenagers when they had Long and were convinced they could not cope with caring for her
- Long was adopted by an American couple and grew up in Baltimore
- She has won 12 gold medals at three Paralympic Games
By Alex Ward
PUBLISHED: 08:12 EST, 16 December 2013 | UPDATED: 08:39 EST, 16 December 2013
This is the heartwarming moment that US Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long met her Siberian parents for the first time after they rejected her because of her disability.
The 21-year-old posted the image on Twitter with the words ‘Meet my Russian family. I love them more than words can say. My heart is so full’.
Long travelled to the village of Tem in the Irkutsk region of Siberia to meet her biological parents Natalia and Oleg Valtysheva who gave her up to a grim orphanage, convinced by doctors that they could not care for their ‘crippled’ baby.
'My heart is so full': U.S. Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long (centre) was reunited with her biological parents Natalia (second from left) and Oleg Valtysheva (first from right) and her siblings (first from left and second from right) in Siberia after the couple gave her up because she was 'crippled'
The couple, who are still together today and went on to have three other children, started dating when Natalia was just 16-years-old.
She told the Siberian Times: ‘My little girl was born pre-term and I was told that she would be an invalid for life and that she would be unable to walk.’
'Life changing moments': Long shared her excitement about her family reunion on Twitter with her 11,400 followers
Warmly welcomed: Long travelled to Bratsk, visiting the orphanage before meeting her family who learned of her identity after Russian journalists traced the Siberian family members down
The baby, who the couple called Tanya, was then adopted by American couple Beth and Steve Long from the orphanage in Bratsk and grew up in Baltimore, Maryland.
Natalia said: 'What a worthless thing am I? I kept thinking of her all the time… but then I learned that Tanya was adopted by an American couple.’
The Siberian couple had no idea that their biological daughter gone to be a world champion swimmer until Russian journalists tracked down the couple after Long's success at the London Paralympics last year.
Long said she had always known that she was adopted but had never known the true identity of her biological parents.
Given away for disability: The Valtyshevas, who were teenagers when they gave birth to Long (pictured as a toddler), were convinced by doctors that they could not cope with their 'crippled' daughter
One of the most successful American Paralympians: Long (pictured at the Beijing 2008 Paralympics) has won 12 gold medals at three Paralympic Games
Growing up in America: Long (pictured as a baby, right, and as a young girl, left) was adopted by American couple Beth and Steve Long and grew up in Baltimore, Maryland
Thought of her all the time: Natalia and Oleg (pictured) did not know that Long had grown up to become a world champion Paralympic swimmer
Long, who has won 12 gold medals at
three Paralympics, was born without heels, ankles and fibulas as well as
most of the bones in her feet, a condition known as fibular hemimelia.
Her legs were amputated when she was just 18-months-old and she learned to walk with prostheses.
Before she met her parents in Siberia, Long visited the orphanage in Bratsk on the trip she called ‘life changing moments’.
Natalia and Oleg had their second daughter Nastya a year after Long and despite being born with a similar condition, infantile cerebral paralysis, but they decided to keep her.
They also now have twins, a boy and a girl.
Long's mother works as a cleaner in the village school and Oleg drives a logging truck.
During their reunion, Natalia gave her daughter the local delicacy of pickled cucumbers.
Long gave her mother a necklace and a Russian-language bible to Oleg, her father.
Long was just 12-years-old and the youngest competitor on the U.S. Paralympic team when she won three gold medals at the 2004 Paralympic Games in Greece.
She is currently the world record holder in 13 Paralympic events.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Law & Order actress details Bill Cosby's attempted sexual assault of her while working on The Cosby Show - and claims he did drug at least one woman on set
Michelle Hurd, the actor known for her work on Law & Order: SVU and Gossip Girl has come forward to share her story about Bill ...
- Unemployed nurse, 44, 'used a pillow to muffle the sounds of gunfire 'when she shot her three children in bed before trying to kill herself'
- Check your own butt! Hidden camera on New York woman's yoga pants catches men (and women) stealing a glance at her rear to raise awareness for prostate cancer
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Anna Wintour 'refuses to work at new Vogue offices' at 1 World Trade Center due to 'rat infestation'
- Terms of Service
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Singer Richard Marx lists historic Chicago waterfront for sale at record $18M as he finalizes divorce from wife of 25 years
- Don't fry this at home! Fire department shows how NOT to deep-fry a turkey this Thanksgiving
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Williamsfield, Ohio ranked America's most 'stressful' neighborhood
- Hundreds mourn beheaded American aid worker Peter Kassig during Muslim funeral service as top Syrian cleric threatens his killers with 'hellfire'
- Al Roker 'disciplined for slew of idiosyncratic outbursts on air' days after he broke world record for longest weathercast ever
- More students sarcastically say,'#THANKS Michelle Obama' and post photos of their 'healthy' school meals
- Death row inmates wrongly convicted of Cleveland murder in 1975 walk free after
- Michael Phelps' transgender 'girlfriend', 41, reveals she was jailed in 1992 for blackmailing $10,000 from businessman she met in a bar to pay for surgery
- Activist Terry Bean indicted for 'sexually abusing boy' with boyfriend in hotel
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Twin Falls father 'kills' girlfriend and her daughter in murder-suicide
- Laurence Olivier on how affair with Noel Coward doomed his marriage
- Hilarious video of English bulldog being pushed in a playground swing
- Beyonce puts her derriere on display in skimpy underwear as she prances around in new 'homemade' music video 7/11
- Tiny parasitic tapeworm burrows its way through a man's brain for FOUR YEARS
- Crystal meth before and after pictures of former beauty queen released
- Georgia mom arrested after one baby dies and other is found with detached retina
- Daisy the Labrador has helped find disease in 551 patients
- Ferguson protesters 'threatening to rape officers' wives and kill children'
- Unbelievable footage of a tractor trailer jumping a record 83 FEET 7 INCHES over a Formula 1 car racing underneath
- Kendall Jenner compares her double life in fashion and reality TV to Hannah Montana
- US Congress report debunks Benghazi attack claims
- Mississippi and West Virginia are the fattest states in the U.S. - but everyone is more overweight than they imagine
- A view from the bottom in America's poorest city: Captivating photo series gives an intimate glimpse of the faces men, women and children struggling to get by on the streets of Philadelphia
- The secret of how size two Food Network chef Giada de Laurentiis stays so slim: She spits her own food into a bucket while filming
- Bill Cosby gets another standing ovation as he performs for the first time in the United States since latest wave of rape allegations - and only one woman comes out to protest
- Would you let YOUR four-year-old daughter do your makeup? The spectacular, abstract creations by little girls armed with mascara, lipstick and a tray of multicolored eyeshadow
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Bill Cosby returns to the stage and receives standing ovation at benefit for women's organization as new actress comes forward to say he forced her into oral sex
- Miracle On 34th Street comes alive as Macy's unveils its holiday windows with just over a month to go before Christmas
- Robin Williams' son Zak speaks for the first time about his father's death
- Loretta Doyle Burroughs dragged husband's remains along each time she moved, says his brother
- Bill Cosby STILL a Temple University trustee despite continued sexual assault claims and getting nixed by NBC and TV Land
- Parents of aid worker Peter Kassig beheaded by ISIS tweet they had adopted their son at birth and publicly thank his biological mother and two siblings by name