US Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long reunited with Siberian parents
- Long travelled to the Siberian village of Tem to meet her biological family for the first time
- Her biological parents were teenagers when they had Long and were convinced they could not cope with caring for her
- Long was adopted by an American couple and grew up in Baltimore
- She has won 12 gold medals at three Paralympic Games
By Alex Ward
PUBLISHED: 08:12 EST, 16 December 2013 | UPDATED: 08:39 EST, 16 December 2013
This is the heartwarming moment that US Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long met her Siberian parents for the first time after they rejected her because of her disability.
The 21-year-old posted the image on Twitter with the words ‘Meet my Russian family. I love them more than words can say. My heart is so full’.
Long travelled to the village of Tem in the Irkutsk region of Siberia to meet her biological parents Natalia and Oleg Valtysheva who gave her up to a grim orphanage, convinced by doctors that they could not care for their ‘crippled’ baby.
'My heart is so full': U.S. Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long (centre) was reunited with her biological parents Natalia (second from left) and Oleg Valtysheva (first from right) and her siblings (first from left and second from right) in Siberia after the couple gave her up because she was 'crippled'
The couple, who are still together today and went on to have three other children, started dating when Natalia was just 16-years-old.
She told the Siberian Times: ‘My little girl was born pre-term and I was told that she would be an invalid for life and that she would be unable to walk.’
'Life changing moments': Long shared her excitement about her family reunion on Twitter with her 11,400 followers
Warmly welcomed: Long travelled to Bratsk, visiting the orphanage before meeting her family who learned of her identity after Russian journalists traced the Siberian family members down
The baby, who the couple called Tanya, was then adopted by American couple Beth and Steve Long from the orphanage in Bratsk and grew up in Baltimore, Maryland.
Natalia said: 'What a worthless thing am I? I kept thinking of her all the time… but then I learned that Tanya was adopted by an American couple.’
The Siberian couple had no idea that their biological daughter gone to be a world champion swimmer until Russian journalists tracked down the couple after Long's success at the London Paralympics last year.
Long said she had always known that she was adopted but had never known the true identity of her biological parents.
Given away for disability: The Valtyshevas, who were teenagers when they gave birth to Long (pictured as a toddler), were convinced by doctors that they could not cope with their 'crippled' daughter
One of the most successful American Paralympians: Long (pictured at the Beijing 2008 Paralympics) has won 12 gold medals at three Paralympic Games
Growing up in America: Long (pictured as a baby, right, and as a young girl, left) was adopted by American couple Beth and Steve Long and grew up in Baltimore, Maryland
Thought of her all the time: Natalia and Oleg (pictured) did not know that Long had grown up to become a world champion Paralympic swimmer
Long, who has won 12 gold medals at
three Paralympics, was born without heels, ankles and fibulas as well as
most of the bones in her feet, a condition known as fibular hemimelia.
Her legs were amputated when she was just 18-months-old and she learned to walk with prostheses.
Before she met her parents in Siberia, Long visited the orphanage in Bratsk on the trip she called ‘life changing moments’.
Natalia and Oleg had their second daughter Nastya a year after Long and despite being born with a similar condition, infantile cerebral paralysis, but they decided to keep her.
They also now have twins, a boy and a girl.
Long's mother works as a cleaner in the village school and Oleg drives a logging truck.
During their reunion, Natalia gave her daughter the local delicacy of pickled cucumbers.
Long gave her mother a necklace and a Russian-language bible to Oleg, her father.
Long was just 12-years-old and the youngest competitor on the U.S. Paralympic team when she won three gold medals at the 2004 Paralympic Games in Greece.
She is currently the world record holder in 13 Paralympic events.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
By Ryan Smith for MailOnline Published: 14:01 EST, 20 September 2014 | Updated: 14:06 EST, 20 September 2014 ...
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Soldier sent home from Afghanistan after filming foul-mouthed protest rap and posting it online
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Person of interest' in hunt for missing Hannah Graham is a nursing assistant claims he did NOT drive off with her in his car...as ONE THOUSAND volunteers search for her
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Polly Bergen, Emmy Award-winning actress, dies
- Empty morgues, abandoned wards and corridors overrun with ivy: Inside the deserted Maryland tuberculosis sanatorium where children with the deadly infection were left isolated... and some say it's haunted
- Woman accused of breaking into Tennessee elementary school cafeteria in her underwear and wielding baseball bat while screaming
- £11k electric Radinn 'surfboard' lets you glide along the sea - and even rivers
- Authorities in Central California are on the hunt for five inmates who escaped from jail - and they're all considered armed and dangerous
- Fed-up Texas pastor holds grandmother at gunpoint who snatched packages off his porch...and police say it wasn't her first time
- Cancer-stricken mom's wish for fairytale wedding photoshoot comes true - even though there's no groom waiting and it's her three sons filling in as 'the man in her life'
- Found: The REAL Hitler diaries which astonishingly reveal how the Fuhrer's British-born nephew William Hitler went to Berlin to cash in on his connections - only to end up fighting the Nazis
- Terms of Service
- Darius Wlodarski queues for 44 hours to buy iPhone 6 to win back wife
- Last pictures of Brit backpackers David Miller and Hannah Witheridge
- Man hauled off airliner by armed police after passenger noticed him scribbling the word 'terrorism' in his journal
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Tiny humanoid robots are now advanced enough to FLY A PLANE, claim researchers, who think their five-inch machine could even meet Government safety guidelines
- Biden defends Democratic Party chair fighting for her job after comparing GOP governor to a wife beater
- Tragedy as fire captain who got a huge electric shock after taking part in the ALS ice bucket challenge dies from his injuries
- Stubborn Salmond had to jump: DONALD TRUMP on how the SNP leader did the best thing by resigning as First Minister
- 'Leaked by some vultures': Gabrielle Union SLAMS hackers and admits she is the latest victim in new wave of nude celebrity photos posted online
- Jennifer Lopez unveils new 'Booty' clip ft. Iggy Azalea
- Beverley Hills mansion with 16-car garage, vodka bar, home cinema and its own candy wall goes on sale for staggering $85MILLION
- I thought I could beat anything. Then my doctor said: 'You have skin cancer...'
- What's spoiling your skin? From eczema to acne, cold sores to cancer, read our expert guide to the causes and best treatments...
- Throat specialist allegedly involved in fatal Joan Rivers surgery is 'devastated' by the tragic incident and 'will cooperate with investigators to clear her name'
- Senate agrees to bill including $10million information reward in deaths of James Foley and Steven Sutloff...as Obama approves training Syrian rebels fighting ISIS
- Greg Mortenson who lied about being kidnapped by Taliban returns as figurehead
- Kendra Wilkinson confronts Hank Baskett about cheating scandal
- Angelina Jolie effect caused surge in women going for breast cancer checks
- Standing seats, fat tax and no life jackets: The seven predictions for the future of plane travel that look set to become a reality
- Prince Harry reportedly back together with Cressida Bonas
- Natalie Dormer reveals her travel essentials
- Where did the green 'alien eggs' come from? Scientists baffled by UFOs (Unidentified Floating Objects) that washed up on a Sydney beach
- Ex-Utah teacher to trial on student sex charges
- Single mother with terminal cancer has dying wish granted as her nurse agrees to raise her son
- New York store owner accused of 'recruiting for ISIS and funding the terror group' pleads not guilty
- MySpace Tom Andersonis now a landscape photographer