US Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long reunited with Siberian parents
- Long travelled to the Siberian village of Tem to meet her biological family for the first time
- Her biological parents were teenagers when they had Long and were convinced they could not cope with caring for her
- Long was adopted by an American couple and grew up in Baltimore
- She has won 12 gold medals at three Paralympic Games
By Alex Ward
PUBLISHED: 08:12 EST, 16 December 2013 | UPDATED: 08:39 EST, 16 December 2013
This is the heartwarming moment that US Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long met her Siberian parents for the first time after they rejected her because of her disability.
The 21-year-old posted the image on Twitter with the words ‘Meet my Russian family. I love them more than words can say. My heart is so full’.
Long travelled to the village of Tem in the Irkutsk region of Siberia to meet her biological parents Natalia and Oleg Valtysheva who gave her up to a grim orphanage, convinced by doctors that they could not care for their ‘crippled’ baby.
'My heart is so full': U.S. Paralympic swimmer Jessica Long (centre) was reunited with her biological parents Natalia (second from left) and Oleg Valtysheva (first from right) and her siblings (first from left and second from right) in Siberia after the couple gave her up because she was 'crippled'
The couple, who are still together today and went on to have three other children, started dating when Natalia was just 16-years-old.
She told the Siberian Times: ‘My little girl was born pre-term and I was told that she would be an invalid for life and that she would be unable to walk.’
'Life changing moments': Long shared her excitement about her family reunion on Twitter with her 11,400 followers
Warmly welcomed: Long travelled to Bratsk, visiting the orphanage before meeting her family who learned of her identity after Russian journalists traced the Siberian family members down
The baby, who the couple called Tanya, was then adopted by American couple Beth and Steve Long from the orphanage in Bratsk and grew up in Baltimore, Maryland.
Natalia said: 'What a worthless thing am I? I kept thinking of her all the time… but then I learned that Tanya was adopted by an American couple.’
The Siberian couple had no idea that their biological daughter gone to be a world champion swimmer until Russian journalists tracked down the couple after Long's success at the London Paralympics last year.
Long said she had always known that she was adopted but had never known the true identity of her biological parents.
Given away for disability: The Valtyshevas, who were teenagers when they gave birth to Long (pictured as a toddler), were convinced by doctors that they could not cope with their 'crippled' daughter
One of the most successful American Paralympians: Long (pictured at the Beijing 2008 Paralympics) has won 12 gold medals at three Paralympic Games
Growing up in America: Long (pictured as a baby, right, and as a young girl, left) was adopted by American couple Beth and Steve Long and grew up in Baltimore, Maryland
Thought of her all the time: Natalia and Oleg (pictured) did not know that Long had grown up to become a world champion Paralympic swimmer
Long, who has won 12 gold medals at
three Paralympics, was born without heels, ankles and fibulas as well as
most of the bones in her feet, a condition known as fibular hemimelia.
Her legs were amputated when she was just 18-months-old and she learned to walk with prostheses.
Before she met her parents in Siberia, Long visited the orphanage in Bratsk on the trip she called ‘life changing moments’.
Natalia and Oleg had their second daughter Nastya a year after Long and despite being born with a similar condition, infantile cerebral paralysis, but they decided to keep her.
They also now have twins, a boy and a girl.
Long's mother works as a cleaner in the village school and Oleg drives a logging truck.
During their reunion, Natalia gave her daughter the local delicacy of pickled cucumbers.
Long gave her mother a necklace and a Russian-language bible to Oleg, her father.
Long was just 12-years-old and the youngest competitor on the U.S. Paralympic team when she won three gold medals at the 2004 Paralympic Games in Greece.
She is currently the world record holder in 13 Paralympic events.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
By Margot Peppers for MailOnline Published: 12:51 EST, 24 October 2014 | Updated: 13:22 EST, 24 October 2014 ...
- Woman on death row for killing 'man who tried to rape her' will be hanged at dawn: Mother called to Iranian prison to see her daughter for last time
- Honey Boo Boo shock claim that Mama June's now adult daughter was victim of child molester
- Google's Alan Eustace secretly breaks highest parachute jump record
- 'But I paid so much money!': Woman drugged after wisdom teeth surgery is devastated that she hasn't woken up looking like Nicki Minaj... and isn't friends with Ellen DeGeneres
- Mama June seen for the first time since daughter Anna Cardwell confirmed she was victim of mother's sex offender boyfriend
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Man, 85, is 'tied up for 20 HOURS and robbed' after wining and dining 17-year-old twin sisters he met on a sugar daddy dating site
- Numb to horror: Women walk past headless corpses in the street without raising an eyebrow in shocking video depicting life under ISIS rule
- Bikini-top of the charts!: Video of a singer struggling to keep a puppy from pulling off her bathing suit has over TWO MILLION views...but her music video only has a few thousand
- Revenge porn victim, Folami Prehaya, breaks anonymity in bid to help others
- HIV postitive sex offender 'raped a teen, 14, and two-year-old infecting them both'
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Kevin Charles Brown committed suicide after interviewed over Claire Hough murder
- Remains in Oklahoma lake belong to six people who vanished in cold cases
- One man and his Harley: Brad Bakelar of Reno rides his motorcycle with his companion, Moki, a five-year-old Goldendoodle
- 'You are so loved': Lawyer who was with Corporal Nathan Cirillo in his final moments describes the support and aide he received from complete strangers desperate to save his life
- He's lionised by the BBC and The Guardian as a political seer. The truth, says STEPHEN GLOVER, is that Russell Brand is a ludicrous charlatan
- Hazmat team empties Ebola doctor's apartment WITHOUT gloves, face masks or any protective gear
- He's superman!: Town celebrates Halloween, Christmas, and a birthday early for a four-year-old boy with terminal cancer and just days left to live
- Celebrated business journalist Terry Keenan dies at 54 of brain hemorrhage
- Thief who stole a $4 packet of cigarettes is smoked out after police in Florida use patrol units, dogs and even their helicopter to catch the teenager tearaway
- Highest Ice Age human camp discovered in Peruvian Andes
- Hazmat crews sterilize New York Ebola doctor's apartment as it's revealed he ate at MEATBALL SHOP on his criss-crossing route across the city
- PICTURED: Two girls, 14, who are fighting for their lives after their 'friend' shot them in high school cafeteria shooting that let another dead and two others hurt
- The Halloween light show that is perfectly synced to Bohemian Rhapsody
- The D'oh! Nut: Burger joint pays homage to Homer Simpson
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- British tourist Stuart Gravenell savaged by ape during visit to Gibraltar
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- New York Ebola doctor's fiancee and TWO friends quarantined amid fears he gave them deadly virus: Potential victims in isolation - and there could be more after medic spent SEVEN days riding the subway, bowling and traveling in Uber taxis
- Brother and sister of Jennifer Laude allegedly murdered by US soldier storm Philippine military base
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Grieving Russian mother who was told son had died shortly after being born is reunited with him alive and well five years later
- Man captures Utah canyon footage before CRASHING Go Pro camera (and helicopter)
- Campaign shows what you would look like after 20 years of smoking
- Al Capone's Chicago home on the market for $225,000
- Pakistan to bring in anti-cannibalism law after brothers dug up corpses for curry
- Texas teacher arrested after 'bringing brass knuckles and meth pipe into school'
- Decorated soldier who fought in 'Black Hawk Down' battle in Somalia dies at 52
- Was it a terror attack? Police probe extremist links as online rants of New York hatchet attacker emerge after he was shot dead in attack on group of cops in Queens
- Five-year-old son testifies against his father, Michael Lawrence, who is found guilty of murder in the death of girlfriend Angelica Olivarez who was on the run following the fatal drive-by shooting of a six-year-old girl
- Fiancée of New York Ebola doctor Craig Spencer speaks out as she and two friends to be released from hospital and quarantined at home instead
- Jaylen Fryberg pictured as homecoming prince weeks before Marysville shooting
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
'I want to be in jail so I can overcome my crack addiction': Why 2011 psych assessment of Canadian gunman throws into doubt terror theory as it is revealed there is 'no evidence' of jihadist links (0)