Little Couple star Jen Arnold reveals her cancer of uterus was caused by nonviable pregnancy
- Reality TV star, 39, was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer of the uterus after bleeding during a trip to adopt her daughter in India
- She had fallen pregnant in August but the embryo had no heartbeat and when it was removed, leftover cells led to the cancer
- Doctors later learned she had three tumors on her lungs
- She has undergone chemo - but it has been complicated by her size because doctors have had to research how much to give her
- Jen, whose husband and children have dwarfism, says prognosis is good
By Daily Mail Reporters
PUBLISHED: 10:54 EST, 11 December 2013 | UPDATED: 12:08 EST, 11 December 2013
Jen Arnold, the star of reality TV show Little Couple, has revealed that her cancer of the uterus was caused by a non-viable pregnancy - and now the aggressive disease has spread to her lungs.
The Houston neonatologist broke the news about her diagnosis last week after she and husband Bill Klein, who both have dwarfism caused by a genetic condition, brought their second adopted child home to Texas.
Arnold, who now wears a wig, has now detailed the terrifying moment that she learned something was wrong - and how doctors have struggled to know what treatment is best due to her size.
'There are moments I feel just terrible,' she told People magazine. 'I can't believe it is happening. Other times, I feel like this is just a bump in the road.'
The couple, both 39, have one adopted son, Will, from China and they were in India to bring home their new daughter Zoey, 2, in October when Arnold began bleeding.
Desperate to stay with her daughter but feeling increasingly faint, Arnold made the difficult decision to return home.
Once back in the U.S., she was diagnosed with stage 3 choriocarcincoma, a cancer sparked by a non-viable pregnancy she had suffered.
Her fertility issues have been well documented on the show, and she was shocked when she became pregnant in August - although she said she was not surprised that an ultrasound showed the baby had no heartbeat.
Scroll down for video
Struggle: Jen and husband Bill have had a challenging few years as they tried to start a family
Family: Jen and Bill hold their son Will's hands as they walk to lunch. The couple adopted him from China last year
'I had figured it wasn't going to be viable,' she told People magazine.
The embryo was removed but cells were left behind and sparked the quick-growing cancer. She began intensive chemotherapy while her husband was still in India.
But the mass in her uterus failed to respond to the chemo and grew four times its size - and then three tumors appeared in her lungs.
'Sometimes I think, "Seriously? Really? How can this be happening?"' she told People.
Doctors were forced to give her a hysterectomy - which they saw as their last resort because of Arnold's small ariway.
'We wanted to avoid surgery in her case because of her shortened airway and the difficulties she has had in the past with surgeries,' said Dr. Concepcion R. Diaz-Arrastia from Baylor College of Medicine.
Struggles: In her efforts to start a family Jen went through multiple grueling rounds of IVF egg retrieval and tried surrogacy. The couple's surrogate miscarried and they turned to adoption
'But we felt we had no choice. The disease was not responding to chemotherapy. We had to do this in order to save her life.'
CHORIOCARCINOMA: THE CANCER THAT STRIKES DURING PREGNANCY
Choriocarcinoma is a fast-growing form of cancer in the uterus that develops in women who are pregnant.
It can occur after a normal pregnancy and it is possible for a healthy baby to grow at the same time.
The cancer is most often caused by a hydatidiform mole, which is a tumor resulting from over-production of the tissue that is supposed to develop into the placenta - the organ that grows during pregnancy to feed the fetus.
Even after the mass is removed from the uterus, the abnormal cells can continue to grow and turn into cancer - as it did in Arnold's case.
Choriocarcinoma is an uncommon, but very often curable. Most women whose cancer has not spread can be cured and will still be able to have children.
One symptom is vaginal bleeding in a woman who recently had a hydatidiform mole or pregnancy, and chemotherapy is the main type of treatment.
A hysterectomy and radiation therapy are rarely needed.
Doctors were also faced with the issue of her size because they were unaware of how much chemotherapy to give her.
'I called oncologists in Los Angeles, Baltimore, New York, Houston,' Dr. Arrastia said, 'and no one had experience with treating this type of cancer in a person with skeletal dysplasia. It was a very rare cancer, rare that it was found in a little person … a very rare situation.'
Now doctors have upped her dosage and hope she will not suffer an infection that will set her back. If this is the case, doctor say her prognosis looks good.
'The treatment is rough,' Arnold said. 'But I have a chance of being cured. I just have to push through it.'
Although she said she was ready to
battle through the cancer treatments, a tweet from Ms Arnold's husband
last week suggested she was feeling frail.
Mr Klein tweeted: 'My darling wife released today that she is currently battling a form of cancer. Prayers are welcome, hugs are not due to her weakened state.'
Arnold's battle against cancer after welcoming Zoey home will be shared with fans on future episodes of The Little Couple.
The couple met through an online dating website for little people and married in 2009. Mr Klein says he first saw his wife when she was 10 and they were both having surgery at the same hospital.
The TLC series The Little Couple has documented their desire to start a family. It has so far spanned five seasons and will continue to chronicle their lives she Jen fights the disease.
Newlyweds: Bill and Jen show off their remodeled kitchen. They custom built their Texas home from the ground up to be accessible to their smaller stature
Happy couple: Jen and Bill have starred in the TLC series since their wedding in 2009
The couple decided to adopt because Jen's bone-growth disorder meant pregnancy was not advised for the 3ft 2in doctor and surrogacy failed.
The couple first adopted their son,
Will, who was born in China. They welcomed him to their home in April
after going to get him on a two-week trip to China featured on the show.
Both of the children they chose to adopt have dwarfism, and the couple of spoken of how their own experiences led to them wanting to help children with the same condition.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Woman on death row for killing 'man who tried to rape her' will be hanged at dawn: Mother called to Iranian prison to see her daughter for last time
Reyhaneh Jabbari, 26, was sentenced to death in 2009 by an Iranian courtShe was found guilty of murdering a government intelligence operative Her mother Shole Pakravan ...
- Honey Boo Boo shock claim that Mama June's now adult daughter was victim of child molester
- 'But I paid so much money!': Woman drugged after wisdom teeth surgery is devastated that she hasn't woken up looking like Nicki Minaj... and isn't friends with Ellen DeGeneres
- Google's Alan Eustace secretly breaks highest parachute jump record
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- HIV postitive sex offender 'raped a teen, 14, and two-year-old infecting them both'
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Thief who stole a $4 packet of cigarettes is smoked out after police in Florida use patrol units, dogs and even their helicopter to catch the teenager tearaway
- New York Ebola doctor's fiancee and TWO friends quarantined amid fears he gave them deadly virus: Potential victims in isolation - and there could be more after medic spent SEVEN days riding the subway, bowling and traveling in Uber taxis
- Mama June seen for the first time since daughter Anna Cardwell confirmed she was victim of mother's sex offender boyfriend
- 'You are so loved': Lawyer who was with Corporal Nathan Cirillo in his final moments describes the support and aide he received from complete strangers desperate to save his life
- Brother and sister of Jennifer Laude allegedly murdered by US soldier storm Philippine military base
- Numb to horror: Women walk past headless corpses in the street without raising an eyebrow in shocking video depicting life under ISIS rule
- Man, 85, is 'tied up for 20 HOURS and robbed' after wining and dining 17-year-old twin sisters he met on a sugar daddy dating site
- He's superman!: Town celebrates Halloween, Christmas, and a birthday early for a four-year-old boy with terminal cancer and just days left to live
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Renée Zellweger caught in middle of battle between ex-boyfriend and his former wife
- Hazmat crews sterilize New York Ebola doctor's apartment as it's revealed he ate at MEATBALL SHOP on his criss-crossing route across the city
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- One man and his Harley: Brad Bakelar of Reno rides his motorcycle with his companion, Moki, a five-year-old Goldendoodle
- Bikini-top of the charts!: Video of a singer struggling to keep a puppy from pulling off her bathing suit has over TWO MILLION views...but her music video only has a few thousand
- The D'oh! Nut: Burger joint pays homage to Homer Simpson
- Revenge porn victim, Folami Prehaya, breaks anonymity in bid to help others
- Decorated soldier who fought in 'Black Hawk Down' battle in Somalia dies at 52
- Kevin Charles Brown committed suicide after interviewed over Claire Hough murder
- Hazmat team empties Ebola doctor's apartment WITHOUT gloves, face masks or any protective gear
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Black flag of ISIS flies over Kobane streets away from Kurdish stronghold
- Blitzing the black flag of ISIS: Extraordinary moment massive US airstrike obliterated jihadis' emblem flying on hill above Kobane (while a lone sentry stands his ground)
- British tourist Stuart Gravenell savaged by ape during visit to Gibraltar
- Remains in Oklahoma lake belong to six people who vanished in cold cases
- Highest Ice Age human camp discovered in Peruvian Andes
- Was it a terror attack? Police probe extremist links as online rants of New York hatchet attacker emerge after he was shot dead in attack on group of cops in Queens
- Five-year-old son testifies against his father, Michael Lawrence, who is found guilty of murder in the death of girlfriend Angelica Olivarez who was on the run following the fatal drive-by shooting of a six-year-old girl
- He's lionised by the BBC and The Guardian as a political seer. The truth, says STEPHEN GLOVER, is that Russell Brand is a ludicrous charlatan
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Why one Aurora victim's boyfriend proposed with a heartrending trailer in a movie theater two years after she was shot during Batman screening
- Campaign shows what you would look like after 20 years of smoking
- The life of a Presidential pet: From JFK's Terriers to Bobby's Saint Bernard, a look back at the Kennedys' dogs through the generations
- Pakistan to bring in anti-cannibalism law after brothers dug up corpses for curry
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Could you last the night in McKamey Manor HORROR HOUSE? Nobody has yet
- Nebraska school district allows students to pose with guns in yearbook photos
- Twitter erupts with angry rants, confused questions and cynical humor as New York tries to make sense of why Ebola doctor went bowling while knowingly at risk