Little Couple star Jen Arnold reveals her cancer of uterus was caused by nonviable pregnancy
- Reality TV star, 39, was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer of the uterus after bleeding during a trip to adopt her daughter in India
- She had fallen pregnant in August but the embryo had no heartbeat and when it was removed, leftover cells led to the cancer
- Doctors later learned she had three tumors on her lungs
- She has undergone chemo - but it has been complicated by her size because doctors have had to research how much to give her
- Jen, whose husband and children have dwarfism, says prognosis is good
By Daily Mail Reporters
PUBLISHED: 10:54 EST, 11 December 2013 | UPDATED: 12:08 EST, 11 December 2013
Jen Arnold, the star of reality TV show Little Couple, has revealed that her cancer of the uterus was caused by a non-viable pregnancy - and now the aggressive disease has spread to her lungs.
The Houston neonatologist broke the news about her diagnosis last week after she and husband Bill Klein, who both have dwarfism caused by a genetic condition, brought their second adopted child home to Texas.
Arnold, who now wears a wig, has now detailed the terrifying moment that she learned something was wrong - and how doctors have struggled to know what treatment is best due to her size.
'There are moments I feel just terrible,' she told People magazine. 'I can't believe it is happening. Other times, I feel like this is just a bump in the road.'
The couple, both 39, have one adopted son, Will, from China and they were in India to bring home their new daughter Zoey, 2, in October when Arnold began bleeding.
Desperate to stay with her daughter but feeling increasingly faint, Arnold made the difficult decision to return home.
Once back in the U.S., she was diagnosed with stage 3 choriocarcincoma, a cancer sparked by a non-viable pregnancy she had suffered.
Her fertility issues have been well documented on the show, and she was shocked when she became pregnant in August - although she said she was not surprised that an ultrasound showed the baby had no heartbeat.
Scroll down for video
Struggle: Jen and husband Bill have had a challenging few years as they tried to start a family
Family: Jen and Bill hold their son Will's hands as they walk to lunch. The couple adopted him from China last year
'I had figured it wasn't going to be viable,' she told People magazine.
The embryo was removed but cells were left behind and sparked the quick-growing cancer. She began intensive chemotherapy while her husband was still in India.
But the mass in her uterus failed to respond to the chemo and grew four times its size - and then three tumors appeared in her lungs.
'Sometimes I think, "Seriously? Really? How can this be happening?"' she told People.
Doctors were forced to give her a hysterectomy - which they saw as their last resort because of Arnold's small ariway.
'We wanted to avoid surgery in her case because of her shortened airway and the difficulties she has had in the past with surgeries,' said Dr. Concepcion R. Diaz-Arrastia from Baylor College of Medicine.
Struggles: In her efforts to start a family Jen went through multiple grueling rounds of IVF egg retrieval and tried surrogacy. The couple's surrogate miscarried and they turned to adoption
'But we felt we had no choice. The disease was not responding to chemotherapy. We had to do this in order to save her life.'
CHORIOCARCINOMA: THE CANCER THAT STRIKES DURING PREGNANCY
Choriocarcinoma is a fast-growing form of cancer in the uterus that develops in women who are pregnant.
It can occur after a normal pregnancy and it is possible for a healthy baby to grow at the same time.
The cancer is most often caused by a hydatidiform mole, which is a tumor resulting from over-production of the tissue that is supposed to develop into the placenta - the organ that grows during pregnancy to feed the fetus.
Even after the mass is removed from the uterus, the abnormal cells can continue to grow and turn into cancer - as it did in Arnold's case.
Choriocarcinoma is an uncommon, but very often curable. Most women whose cancer has not spread can be cured and will still be able to have children.
One symptom is vaginal bleeding in a woman who recently had a hydatidiform mole or pregnancy, and chemotherapy is the main type of treatment.
A hysterectomy and radiation therapy are rarely needed.
Doctors were also faced with the issue of her size because they were unaware of how much chemotherapy to give her.
'I called oncologists in Los Angeles, Baltimore, New York, Houston,' Dr. Arrastia said, 'and no one had experience with treating this type of cancer in a person with skeletal dysplasia. It was a very rare cancer, rare that it was found in a little person … a very rare situation.'
Now doctors have upped her dosage and hope she will not suffer an infection that will set her back. If this is the case, doctor say her prognosis looks good.
'The treatment is rough,' Arnold said. 'But I have a chance of being cured. I just have to push through it.'
Although she said she was ready to
battle through the cancer treatments, a tweet from Ms Arnold's husband
last week suggested she was feeling frail.
Mr Klein tweeted: 'My darling wife released today that she is currently battling a form of cancer. Prayers are welcome, hugs are not due to her weakened state.'
Arnold's battle against cancer after welcoming Zoey home will be shared with fans on future episodes of The Little Couple.
The couple met through an online dating website for little people and married in 2009. Mr Klein says he first saw his wife when she was 10 and they were both having surgery at the same hospital.
The TLC series The Little Couple has documented their desire to start a family. It has so far spanned five seasons and will continue to chronicle their lives she Jen fights the disease.
Newlyweds: Bill and Jen show off their remodeled kitchen. They custom built their Texas home from the ground up to be accessible to their smaller stature
Happy couple: Jen and Bill have starred in the TLC series since their wedding in 2009
The couple decided to adopt because Jen's bone-growth disorder meant pregnancy was not advised for the 3ft 2in doctor and surrogacy failed.
The couple first adopted their son,
Will, who was born in China. They welcomed him to their home in April
after going to get him on a two-week trip to China featured on the show.
Both of the children they chose to adopt have dwarfism, and the couple of spoken of how their own experiences led to them wanting to help children with the same condition.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Indiana body count rises to SEVEN as police fear 'Backpage' serial killer may have murdered many more women across the country
Police in Gary, Indiana expected to announce charges against 43-year-old man on MondayAccording to police he has confessed to the murders of seven women Police would ...
- Chinese boy had his armed ripped off by bear he tried to pat
- King Tut had girlish hips, a club foot and buck teeth according to a 'virtual autopsy'
- Gore blimey! Mother-of-three uses face paint to transform herself into creepy characters for scary selfies
- Florida crane topples over and crushes an RV and three cars during routine tree removal
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Soccer mad teenager gives up a prize of $10,000 to meet her idol, Brazilian soccer star Neymar da Silva Santos
- Hannah Graham 'body' buried in a dried up creek bed in the woods prime suspect used to call home: Accused killer Jesse Matthews grew up just miles from where remains were found
- Mystery after unidentified man heroically enters a burning building to rescue an elderly man
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Woman, 21, stabbed to death by 22-year-old girlfriend in parking lot after they got into argument while driving home in Utah at 1am
- Kim Watson 'stole and sold goods worth $3.7M from Sears warehouse'
- Ohio girl who cut off her hair to give to cancer patients has to be taken out of school after being bullied and told she's ugly
- Parents' dilemma after adopted son, 12, molests their SIX other children after 'state failed to reveal his troubled past'...but the fiercely devoted couple refuse to give up on the boy
- American Idol's Joanne Borgella passes away at age 32 following a year-long battle with a rare form of Endometrial cancer
- Legendary retired football coach killed in car crash outside a football game his son was coaching 'after wife lost control of their car'
- Claim that Jack the Ripper has been unmasked by DNA evidence as a Polish immigrant barber is WRONG, say experts
- Father who killed himself and two children in horrific murder-suicide wrote journals claiming his WIFE was a 'violent alcoholic' who 'abused' their kids
- New Hampshire pumpkin festival turns into a riot as police tear gas the unruly crowd
- Firefighters remove bricks and use dish soap as lubricant to remove a woman allegedly trying to burglarize a California home and got stuck in the chimney
- Man, 33, 'leaps to his death from a Manhattan high rise after arguing with his two male lovers'
- Florida mom demands Toys 'R Us remove Breaking Bad action figures that come complete with toy METH
- Map reveals how the world's web activity disappears as the sun goes down
- Up to 34 MILLION blank 'green cards' and work permits to be ordered ahead of Obama illegal immigrant 'amnesty'
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- New York toddler is 'beaten to death by her mother's boyfriend after she accidentally soiled herself'... as a neighbor claims she 'reported weeks' worth of fights between the couple but got no response'
- Model helps police set up sting operation on celebrity nude photo hacker who told her to pay $900 or have her naked body exposed to the world
- Yeonmi Park opens up in harrowing speech about North Korea's brutal regime
- California man enters a burning house to rescue an elderly man
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- The Taliban boy aged just THREE being trained for war who says he's 'going to shoot people'
- Police give super-drunk Michigan woman a DUI after she mistakes the county jail for a bar
- Peyton Manning breaks NFL record with 509th career touchdown pass
- Is this the most aggressive haka in rugby history? Players have to be separated by officials at Australia vs New Zealand junior league game
- Ebola hysteria sweeps US schools: Maine teacher who visited Dallas told not to come to work for 21 days as hundreds of Mississippi parents pull kids school because principal visited Zambia... 3,000 miles from countries hit by the disease
- 'Glee' star Matthew Morrison weds in Hawaii
- Hilarious moment thieves steal portable toilet by pushing it with their car
- Nicole Rumph 'slapped daughter so hard she left 6-INCH gash'
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT: The moment a police officer called over a family's dog then SHOT it for no reason
- In the clear: First 48 people exposed to Ebola 'patient zero' - including his fiancée and her children - emerge from quarantine after being declared disease free following 21-day incubation period
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Chicago police officer pulled out of his car at 5.45am by cop colleagues and charged with drunk driving down the freeway in the WRONG DIRECTION
- Parents of shooting victim offer son's killer a home and a job after he's finished serving his sentence for firing the shotgun that killed his best friend while high and drunk
- Joe Montana's son Nick makes 'one of the worst mental blunders' of the college football season
- 'She was my angel': Mother's anguish as her 6-year-old daughter is killed in drive-by shooting at 7-Eleven parking lot while opening a pack of bubble gum
- Serena Williams accuses Shamil Tarpischev of 'sexist, racist and bullying' remarks
- The real Lives of Others: German tourists relive the Communist East by spending a night in a Stasi bunker - with 'basic training' and authentic military rations (but they escape to a sauna at the end)
State senator arrested TWICE in the same weekend for 'stalking' a frightened neighbor and TPing her house... just a month after he was caught drinking in public while sitting uninvited in other people's yards (0)
New York toddler is 'beaten to death by her mother's boyfriend after she accidentally soiled herself'... as a neighbor claims she 'reported weeks' worth of fights between the couple but got no response' (0)