Sam Champion 'betrayed' by ABC friends
- Champion, who was at GMA since 2006, left last week for the Weather Channel
- But weather star is upset by 'ridiculous stories' that he's power-crazed
- He's kept in touch with a few of his GMA pals - but they are negotiating new deals and 'he wants to step away while there is this negative gossip'
- Former Today Show rival Al Roker 'the first' to congratulate Sam on new job
PUBLISHED: 14:44 EST, 10 December 2013 | UPDATED: 14:54 EST, 10 December 2013
He is ‘excited and charged’ by his new multi-million dollar job with the Weather Channel.
But Sam Champion feels betrayed by people inside ABC whom he considered ‘friends’ after a string of ‘mean-spirited digs’ following his exit from Good Morning America, MailOnline can reveal today.
A source close to the star said: ‘Sam was with ABC for 25 years, when he did the goodbye show at GMA he felt good about walking out the door.
‘But then came these digs by people that throughout his career he would have called friends and he doesn’t understand why – or what’s in it for anybody.
Scroll down for video
Josh Elliott cried as he said goodbye to his fellow presenter Sam Champion on GMA on December 4 as Robin Roberts looked on
Champion and Elliott hugged it out at the end of the show as they said a tearful goodbye on December 4
The former weatherman on the hit ABC breakfast show made his last on-air appearance just six days ago and hugged co-star Robin Roberts while Josh Elliot wept during his emotional exit.
However, since his departure, Sam, 52, has been subjected to reports he is power crazed – and that he left ABC purely as a money-making venture.
And a source close to Sam revealed the attacks are upsetting during a particularly ‘joyous’ time in his career – adding he is particularly upset that his husband Rubem Robierb has been dragged into it.
Sam’s new job makes him the on-air face of the Weather Channel, based in Atlanta, appearing as host and serving as Managing Editor.
‘He had his first
day at the Weather Channel yesterday and he’s excited and charged and
had the best day ever and these ridiculous stories don’t make any sense
at all,' said the source.
While Robin Roberts, 53,
has recently signed a massive new deal with ABC, TV chiefs are
currently negotiating new contracts with GMA stars Josh Elliot, Lara Spencer and
George Stephanopoulos – all of whom have deals up within the year,
leaving the network in somewhat of a perilous situation at the top-rated morning show in the U.S.
Sam has kept in touch with ‘one or two’ of his GMA pals since leaving, but the friend said: ‘There’s a lot going on with them and they are in negotiations, he wants to step away while there is this negative gossip.
‘His tactic is that he needs to focus on his new job. And he wants them to make the best decisions for their lives and careers. ‘
Sam Champion has been with the ABC network since 1988 as weather host
For Sam, according to his friend, what is upsetting are reports that ABC were lining up his replacement Ginger Zee months ago as they believed he was unhappy at the network.
However, the source said: ‘Here’s the thing, Sam’s contract with ABC was up at the very end of November. He went to ABC in late summer and said ‘let’s start talking’ as he wanted to know he had a future at the network
‘They didn’t start talking until the first few weeks of November, which is when the Weather Channel deal came up.
‘It wasn’t a long-range plan, it wasn’t anything that had been going on for a year, that’s just not true.
‘He never saw the opportunity coming, but this is what he loves, he tried for years to convince the network that weather is news and it’s important.
‘The Weather Channel already knows this and they want to more. Sam thought ABC understood this.
‘He told them he would try to make everyone happy and make everyone look good.’
The source added: ‘It was joyous for Sam, he didn’t see why anyone should feel bad – he went and told everyone he loved them and walked out the door and the next morning comes this mean-spirited attack, like being punched.’
Attacking claims that he merely wanted to leave in an exercise to be able to licence his image on products like coffee mugs, the source insisted: ‘Sam’s deal with ABC wasn’t exclusive.
‘If he had wanted to licence merchandise he would have - all he needed was ABC’s approval.
‘He didn’t bolt to make all kinds of crazy money.’
Sad goodbyes: Champion (far right) bid farewell to the rest of the GMA team on December 4 (L-R) Josh Elliott, Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos and Lara Spencer
Upset: Sam Champion is said to be most upset his husband Rubem Robierb had been used in digs against him since leaving ABC. The couple are seen on their honeymoon
And discussing rumours that Sam’s husband Rubem, 36, had persuaded him to leave GMA as he refused to leave his hometown of Miami – so they could start a family , the source said: ‘It’s not fair to bring Rubem into it.
‘He would never have demanded that Sam leave ABC, if they were going to have babies Sam would be on the same schedule.
‘Rubem had never even been to Atlanta before yesterday.'
Ironically, in his new role, Sam
now joins forces with his former rival, Today weather co-host Al Roker,
whose one-hour Wake Up With Al airs on The Weather Channel weekdays at
6am (EST), then repeats at 10am.
Champion's new morning show will be tucked in between, airing from 7 to 10am. And Sam will also be in the partial employ (in a sense) of his old network rival: The Weather Channel is owned by a consortium made up in part of NBC Universal.
the first person to send Sam a text of support when he announced his
departure from GMA was Mr Roker.
Champion was in fits of laughter as tapes from the ABC archives were brought back to haunt him on his last day on GMA
Sam Champion and Josh Elliott became very emotional as they said goodbye on their last breakfast show together
Ginger Zee, who was on the ground in Denver, Colorado, on December 4 to cover the severe winter storm, has taken over from Champion as weather presenter at GMA
Al, 59, who hosts Wake Up With Al on the Weather Channel and sent a text saying ‘Congratulations, you’re going to love this place!’
The pair already plan lunch when Sam’s back in New York City and the source said: ‘They’ve known each other for 25 years, Sam knows Al’s wife and family and they socialise together.
‘Sam is not going to Today, he’s doing a 2/3 hour breakfast show on the Weather Channel.
‘‘Sam doesn’t understand why ABC can’t be happy for him – they have a great show, great talent and they don’t need to dig at him. He just wishes them the best.’'
GMA weather presenter Sam Champion said goodbye to viewers on December 4 on his last show before he heads to the Weather Channel
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
California high school drops controversial snarling 'Arab' mascot and belly-dancing genie sidekick - but keeps the nickname
School logo featured scowling Arab mascot with one tooth and hooked noseAnti-discrimination campaigners helped school to redesign logoSchool have also dropped mascot but refuse to ...
- Pentagon reveals US military launched operation against al-Shabab extremist targets in Somalia
- Officials warn ELEVEN missing airplanes in Libya could be used to carry out terrorist attack on 9/11 anniversary
- 'The colour of his skin is of no concern - Jonah being a healthy and happy baby is what matters': White child is born to black mother - beating odds of a million-to-one
- Mexican university prank backfires when woman pulls GUN on students attempting to haze her
- Bryan Hamade denies he's the hacker who leaked celebrity nude photos
- 'It's great to be heading home': NFL's first openly gay player Michael Sam jets in to Dallas to join the Cowboys just days after being sensationally dropped by the Rams
- Listen to the Earths' 'voice' on this interactive soundscape map
- Thomas Knights' photography proves red headed men can be 'sexy' and 'heroic' in New York exhibition
- Staten Island teen dead under mysterious circumstances when he collapses during football practice
- 'Once you lose hope you lose heart... someone tells you ''say this'' and you say it': Australian terror captive says beheading victims would have been 'compliant' until the very end
- Man repeatedly stabs pit-bull after it attacked his Westie Terrier in front of dozens of horrified families at adoption event
- ISIS posts online apology for beheading video...to its FOLLOWERS for releasing it ahead of schedule
- One of a pair of Batman Batboats made for 1966 movie up for £40,000 at auction
- Is Google's driverless car a fair weather friend? Vehicle WON'T work in heavy rain or snow, insider reveals
- Father stabs 3 pupils to death at Chinese school after it refused to let daughter return
- 'I threw up before I walked her down the aisle': Dad of woman who helped kill 3 honors victims as he says he was always against her marriage to the man he says 'brainwashed' her
- The mother whose daughter has slept on top of her every night for THREE years so she doesn't die from one of the 100 seizures she suffers every day
- Two California judges censured after having sex with law clerks and job applicants in their chambers
- 'I want to look normal': Florida Army vet who's facial hair was burned off by a roadside bomb sees himself with a beard for the first time in 10 years after transplant
- Watch the moment a fighter jet from the ageing Libyan airforce crashes into a Tobruk neighbourhood
- Terrified mother and two children inside RV spend HOURS trying to shoo away bear clawing and scratching to get into their trailer
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Nordic diet volunteers lost three times as much weight as others
- 'She jumped on my head and was screaming at me.' : Brave moggy saves its owner from burning home.
- McDonald's has been forced to open its first ever turquoise coloured restaurant... but it's not the fast food giant's only unusual store
- Hong Kong pro-democracy activists pepper-sprayed as they disrupt Communist official's speech
- Israel under fire for 'largest West Bank land grab in 30 years' as soldiers swoop on 1,000 acres of Palestinian territory
- Mother accused of killing her severely disabled daughter, eight, could still inherit $1 million of her trust fund even if she is convicted
- Libyan government warns it has lost all control as Islamist militias rampage across capital and Parliament demands new prime minister to establish order
- Anti-government protesters storm Pakistan state television station and 'beat journalists'
- Russia threatens NATO as it warns it is updating its military doctrine
- Jenny Sanford asks judge to require her Rep. Mark Sanford to undergo psych evaluations
- 'Miracle' baby who was delivered by emergency c-section after his mom died from a brain hemorrhage leaves hospital six weeks later
- Australian man whose biological twin were born in Thailand via surrogate, charged with 10 counts of sexually abusing his children
- L'Wren Scott beams at the only wedding dress she would ever make
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Boston has the worst drivers in America, according to Allstate America's Best Drivers Report
- SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: I've had my fill of your cuisine, says US envoy: Ambassador makes a dig at Britain with sly remark about traditional roast lamb (...and says he prefers Ferrero Rocher)
- Barack Obama urged to take decisive action against ISIS
- Iraqi TV's cartoon satire on terror, ISIS, and jihadis
- Revealed: David Bowie's first US tour was a disaster because he forgot to get a work visa and couldn't play gigs
- Did iCloud's 'Find My iPhone' function help hackers steal celebrities' 'nude' photos? Flaw may have exposed hundreds of images
- Ashya's grandmother condemns police for forcing 5-year-old to remain alone in Spanish hospital
- Would YOU pay $400 for the iWatch? Apple's wearable tech will cost significantly more than its competitors, reports claim
- Ansa app deletes your texts remotely from FRIEND'S phones
- WATCH: The 3D-printed 'bump keys' that can open almost ANY lock in seconds
- 'If I want to I can take Kiev in a fortnight': Putin's threat to Europe revealed by EU boss as Ukraine loses control of key airport
- Caught in the nick of time: Man dashes fully-clothed into a lake to save his drone from the water after it runs out of battery