Sam Champion 'betrayed' by ABC friends
- Champion, who was at GMA since 2006, left last week for the Weather Channel
- But weather star is upset by 'ridiculous stories' that he's power-crazed
- He's kept in touch with a few of his GMA pals - but they are negotiating new deals and 'he wants to step away while there is this negative gossip'
- Former Today Show rival Al Roker 'the first' to congratulate Sam on new job
PUBLISHED: 14:44 EST, 10 December 2013 | UPDATED: 14:54 EST, 10 December 2013
He is ‘excited and charged’ by his new multi-million dollar job with the Weather Channel.
But Sam Champion feels betrayed by people inside ABC whom he considered ‘friends’ after a string of ‘mean-spirited digs’ following his exit from Good Morning America, MailOnline can reveal today.
A source close to the star said: ‘Sam was with ABC for 25 years, when he did the goodbye show at GMA he felt good about walking out the door.
‘But then came these digs by people that throughout his career he would have called friends and he doesn’t understand why – or what’s in it for anybody.
Scroll down for video
Josh Elliott cried as he said goodbye to his fellow presenter Sam Champion on GMA on December 4 as Robin Roberts looked on
Champion and Elliott hugged it out at the end of the show as they said a tearful goodbye on December 4
The former weatherman on the hit ABC breakfast show made his last on-air appearance just six days ago and hugged co-star Robin Roberts while Josh Elliot wept during his emotional exit.
However, since his departure, Sam, 52, has been subjected to reports he is power crazed – and that he left ABC purely as a money-making venture.
And a source close to Sam revealed the attacks are upsetting during a particularly ‘joyous’ time in his career – adding he is particularly upset that his husband Rubem Robierb has been dragged into it.
Sam’s new job makes him the on-air face of the Weather Channel, based in Atlanta, appearing as host and serving as Managing Editor.
‘He had his first
day at the Weather Channel yesterday and he’s excited and charged and
had the best day ever and these ridiculous stories don’t make any sense
at all,' said the source.
While Robin Roberts, 53,
has recently signed a massive new deal with ABC, TV chiefs are
currently negotiating new contracts with GMA stars Josh Elliot, Lara Spencer and
George Stephanopoulos – all of whom have deals up within the year,
leaving the network in somewhat of a perilous situation at the top-rated morning show in the U.S.
Sam has kept in touch with ‘one or two’ of his GMA pals since leaving, but the friend said: ‘There’s a lot going on with them and they are in negotiations, he wants to step away while there is this negative gossip.
‘His tactic is that he needs to focus on his new job. And he wants them to make the best decisions for their lives and careers. ‘
Sam Champion has been with the ABC network since 1988 as weather host
For Sam, according to his friend, what is upsetting are reports that ABC were lining up his replacement Ginger Zee months ago as they believed he was unhappy at the network.
However, the source said: ‘Here’s the thing, Sam’s contract with ABC was up at the very end of November. He went to ABC in late summer and said ‘let’s start talking’ as he wanted to know he had a future at the network
‘They didn’t start talking until the first few weeks of November, which is when the Weather Channel deal came up.
‘It wasn’t a long-range plan, it wasn’t anything that had been going on for a year, that’s just not true.
‘He never saw the opportunity coming, but this is what he loves, he tried for years to convince the network that weather is news and it’s important.
‘The Weather Channel already knows this and they want to more. Sam thought ABC understood this.
‘He told them he would try to make everyone happy and make everyone look good.’
The source added: ‘It was joyous for Sam, he didn’t see why anyone should feel bad – he went and told everyone he loved them and walked out the door and the next morning comes this mean-spirited attack, like being punched.’
Attacking claims that he merely wanted to leave in an exercise to be able to licence his image on products like coffee mugs, the source insisted: ‘Sam’s deal with ABC wasn’t exclusive.
‘If he had wanted to licence merchandise he would have - all he needed was ABC’s approval.
‘He didn’t bolt to make all kinds of crazy money.’
Sad goodbyes: Champion (far right) bid farewell to the rest of the GMA team on December 4 (L-R) Josh Elliott, Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos and Lara Spencer
Upset: Sam Champion is said to be most upset his husband Rubem Robierb had been used in digs against him since leaving ABC. The couple are seen on their honeymoon
And discussing rumours that Sam’s husband Rubem, 36, had persuaded him to leave GMA as he refused to leave his hometown of Miami – so they could start a family , the source said: ‘It’s not fair to bring Rubem into it.
‘He would never have demanded that Sam leave ABC, if they were going to have babies Sam would be on the same schedule.
‘Rubem had never even been to Atlanta before yesterday.'
Ironically, in his new role, Sam
now joins forces with his former rival, Today weather co-host Al Roker,
whose one-hour Wake Up With Al airs on The Weather Channel weekdays at
6am (EST), then repeats at 10am.
Champion's new morning show will be tucked in between, airing from 7 to 10am. And Sam will also be in the partial employ (in a sense) of his old network rival: The Weather Channel is owned by a consortium made up in part of NBC Universal.
the first person to send Sam a text of support when he announced his
departure from GMA was Mr Roker.
Champion was in fits of laughter as tapes from the ABC archives were brought back to haunt him on his last day on GMA
Sam Champion and Josh Elliott became very emotional as they said goodbye on their last breakfast show together
Ginger Zee, who was on the ground in Denver, Colorado, on December 4 to cover the severe winter storm, has taken over from Champion as weather presenter at GMA
Al, 59, who hosts Wake Up With Al on the Weather Channel and sent a text saying ‘Congratulations, you’re going to love this place!’
The pair already plan lunch when Sam’s back in New York City and the source said: ‘They’ve known each other for 25 years, Sam knows Al’s wife and family and they socialise together.
‘Sam is not going to Today, he’s doing a 2/3 hour breakfast show on the Weather Channel.
‘‘Sam doesn’t understand why ABC can’t be happy for him – they have a great show, great talent and they don’t need to dig at him. He just wishes them the best.’'
GMA weather presenter Sam Champion said goodbye to viewers on December 4 on his last show before he heads to the Weather Channel
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Would you perform life-saving surgery on your GOLDFISH? George the carp goes under the knife to remove a deadly tumour
The beloved pet underwent micro-surgery to remove a tumourThe goldfish had been owned for ten yearsPioneering surgery performed to improve 'his quality of life' By Heather Mcnab ...
- Hostage Alan Henning was kidnapped by IS just 30mins after entering Syria thanks to a tip-off from a corrupt official... then incredibly terrorist group Al-Qaeda tried to get him released on the grounds that taking him was 'unIslamic'
- Thai woman 'threw herself' into crocodile pit at Bangkok zoo
- Looting starts in celebrity paradise as 24,000 tourists are trapped after Hurricane Odile's 125 mph winds slam Mexico's Baja California peninsula including beach resort favored by stars such as George Clooney
- Miss Nebraska flashes live television audience during Miss America pageant
- Moment a news chopper pilot leads cops to carjacking suspect who tried to hide in a field following high-speed chase
- Mummified corpses and plastic bags filled with decomposed remains: Guatemalan grave cleaners remove the dead who can no longer afford their crypts
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Seattle woman 'rapes sleeping man who wakes up to find her on top of him pinning him down'
- 'They won because he took his life as a result': Mother claims 14-year-old son who shot himself dead in school bathroom had been 'bullied for years'
- Ana Maria Gonzalez-Angulo trial begins
- US to send 3,000 troops to Ebola danger zone Liberia
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- 'When a gunnery sergeant tells you to take off your clothes, you better take off your clothes. You don't ask questions.': The male victims of military rape tell their heartbreaking stories
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- California rescue dog enjoys snow for the first time in cute video
- Why President Obama's coffee preference is the White House's best kept secret
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Police release CCTV image of missing UVA student, 18, inside her apartment block hours before she disappeared as desperate search continues
- Stalker Kevin Gibbons jailed for raping pregnant woman and made her breastfeed him
- Teens who smoke weed everyday are 60% LESS likely to finish High School and SEVEN times more likely to commit suicide, a new study has found
- Mark Sanford's mistress-turned-fiancee discovered he had broken it off via FACEBOOK post
- Rosetta's daring landing site announced
- American Bitcoin exchange CEO, 28, researched suicide methods before jumping from a Singapore highrise due to 'work and personal issues'
- 'Voting No is the patriotic thing to do', says David Cameron in final speech
- MI5 know who ISIS' 'Jihadi John' is but are waiting to make a move
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Model sues Apple after celeb photo leak saying she warned them TWICE about security months before
- Robin Thicke's attorney issues statement about his client's leaked deposition video
- Sweaty and barefaced Sarah Palin steps out without her wedding ring for first time since family fight
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Four prisoners gunned down and 11 more wounded after firearms and knives smuggled into Bolivian prison
- Can YOU guess what foods these are? Stunning microscopic images reveal the beauty hidden in everyday drinks and snacks
- NFL appoints three domestic violence experts and creates social responsibility department in wake of Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson scandals
- Adrian Peterson accused of 'abusing ANOTHER son while disciplining him'... as Minnesota Vikings player apologizes for severely whipping four-year-old boy
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Running wild! Mother cheetah has SIX cubs keeping her busy by jumping, hiding and climbing all over her
- Austistic boy, 3, is attacked in his sleep by rats and because of his condition, doesn't cry out for help
- Colombian women's cycling team appear in bizarre flesh-coloured kit
- Thousands flock to Scottish cairn to make the emotional case against independence
- That could have been me Oscar Pistoriuss exgirlfriend Samantha Taylor reveals Blade Runners violent mood swings
- Chinese police launch hunt for violent art teacher who beat pupils with textbook so badly he fractured one child's skull
- 30 years of America through one photographer's lens: Moving pictures chart turbulence in the U.S. from 1960 to 1990
- Urban Outfitters under fire for selling 'blood-splattered' Kent State sweater in 'sick' reference to 1970 massacre
'Goodell Must Go' banners fly over football games today and fans circulate picture of model with black eye as pressure mounts for NFL commissioner to lose his job over Ray Rice domestic abuse scandal (0)