Sam Champion 'betrayed' by ABC friends
- Champion, who was at GMA since 2006, left last week for the Weather Channel
- But weather star is upset by 'ridiculous stories' that he's power-crazed
- He's kept in touch with a few of his GMA pals - but they are negotiating new deals and 'he wants to step away while there is this negative gossip'
- Former Today Show rival Al Roker 'the first' to congratulate Sam on new job
PUBLISHED: 14:44 EST, 10 December 2013 | UPDATED: 14:54 EST, 10 December 2013
He is ‘excited and charged’ by his new multi-million dollar job with the Weather Channel.
But Sam Champion feels betrayed by people inside ABC whom he considered ‘friends’ after a string of ‘mean-spirited digs’ following his exit from Good Morning America, MailOnline can reveal today.
A source close to the star said: ‘Sam was with ABC for 25 years, when he did the goodbye show at GMA he felt good about walking out the door.
‘But then came these digs by people that throughout his career he would have called friends and he doesn’t understand why – or what’s in it for anybody.
Scroll down for video
Josh Elliott cried as he said goodbye to his fellow presenter Sam Champion on GMA on December 4 as Robin Roberts looked on
Champion and Elliott hugged it out at the end of the show as they said a tearful goodbye on December 4
The former weatherman on the hit ABC breakfast show made his last on-air appearance just six days ago and hugged co-star Robin Roberts while Josh Elliot wept during his emotional exit.
However, since his departure, Sam, 52, has been subjected to reports he is power crazed – and that he left ABC purely as a money-making venture.
And a source close to Sam revealed the attacks are upsetting during a particularly ‘joyous’ time in his career – adding he is particularly upset that his husband Rubem Robierb has been dragged into it.
Sam’s new job makes him the on-air face of the Weather Channel, based in Atlanta, appearing as host and serving as Managing Editor.
‘He had his first
day at the Weather Channel yesterday and he’s excited and charged and
had the best day ever and these ridiculous stories don’t make any sense
at all,' said the source.
While Robin Roberts, 53,
has recently signed a massive new deal with ABC, TV chiefs are
currently negotiating new contracts with GMA stars Josh Elliot, Lara Spencer and
George Stephanopoulos – all of whom have deals up within the year,
leaving the network in somewhat of a perilous situation at the top-rated morning show in the U.S.
Sam has kept in touch with ‘one or two’ of his GMA pals since leaving, but the friend said: ‘There’s a lot going on with them and they are in negotiations, he wants to step away while there is this negative gossip.
‘His tactic is that he needs to focus on his new job. And he wants them to make the best decisions for their lives and careers. ‘
Sam Champion has been with the ABC network since 1988 as weather host
For Sam, according to his friend, what is upsetting are reports that ABC were lining up his replacement Ginger Zee months ago as they believed he was unhappy at the network.
However, the source said: ‘Here’s the thing, Sam’s contract with ABC was up at the very end of November. He went to ABC in late summer and said ‘let’s start talking’ as he wanted to know he had a future at the network
‘They didn’t start talking until the first few weeks of November, which is when the Weather Channel deal came up.
‘It wasn’t a long-range plan, it wasn’t anything that had been going on for a year, that’s just not true.
‘He never saw the opportunity coming, but this is what he loves, he tried for years to convince the network that weather is news and it’s important.
‘The Weather Channel already knows this and they want to more. Sam thought ABC understood this.
‘He told them he would try to make everyone happy and make everyone look good.’
The source added: ‘It was joyous for Sam, he didn’t see why anyone should feel bad – he went and told everyone he loved them and walked out the door and the next morning comes this mean-spirited attack, like being punched.’
Attacking claims that he merely wanted to leave in an exercise to be able to licence his image on products like coffee mugs, the source insisted: ‘Sam’s deal with ABC wasn’t exclusive.
‘If he had wanted to licence merchandise he would have - all he needed was ABC’s approval.
‘He didn’t bolt to make all kinds of crazy money.’
Sad goodbyes: Champion (far right) bid farewell to the rest of the GMA team on December 4 (L-R) Josh Elliott, Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos and Lara Spencer
Upset: Sam Champion is said to be most upset his husband Rubem Robierb had been used in digs against him since leaving ABC. The couple are seen on their honeymoon
And discussing rumours that Sam’s husband Rubem, 36, had persuaded him to leave GMA as he refused to leave his hometown of Miami – so they could start a family , the source said: ‘It’s not fair to bring Rubem into it.
‘He would never have demanded that Sam leave ABC, if they were going to have babies Sam would be on the same schedule.
‘Rubem had never even been to Atlanta before yesterday.'
Ironically, in his new role, Sam
now joins forces with his former rival, Today weather co-host Al Roker,
whose one-hour Wake Up With Al airs on The Weather Channel weekdays at
6am (EST), then repeats at 10am.
Champion's new morning show will be tucked in between, airing from 7 to 10am. And Sam will also be in the partial employ (in a sense) of his old network rival: The Weather Channel is owned by a consortium made up in part of NBC Universal.
the first person to send Sam a text of support when he announced his
departure from GMA was Mr Roker.
Champion was in fits of laughter as tapes from the ABC archives were brought back to haunt him on his last day on GMA
Sam Champion and Josh Elliott became very emotional as they said goodbye on their last breakfast show together
Ginger Zee, who was on the ground in Denver, Colorado, on December 4 to cover the severe winter storm, has taken over from Champion as weather presenter at GMA
Al, 59, who hosts Wake Up With Al on the Weather Channel and sent a text saying ‘Congratulations, you’re going to love this place!’
The pair already plan lunch when Sam’s back in New York City and the source said: ‘They’ve known each other for 25 years, Sam knows Al’s wife and family and they socialise together.
‘Sam is not going to Today, he’s doing a 2/3 hour breakfast show on the Weather Channel.
‘‘Sam doesn’t understand why ABC can’t be happy for him – they have a great show, great talent and they don’t need to dig at him. He just wishes them the best.’'
GMA weather presenter Sam Champion said goodbye to viewers on December 4 on his last show before he heads to the Weather Channel
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- Woman cuts out tattoo of ex-boyfriend’s name and sends skin to him in the post
- Man who contracted the BUBONIC PLAGUE from his cat speaks about the ordeal that left him at death's door
- Expert describes effect of missile hit on MH17
- New reality show Little Women LA hit by legal trouble before premiere
- 'My son saved his attacker's life': Father who pounded admitted child molester into a 'bloody puddle' claims son stopped him from stabbing admitted pedophile to death
- Jimi Hendrix' former girlfriend slams upcoming biopic of the rock and roll star that includes scenes of brutal domestic violence as 'completely made up'
- Katie Cleary's husband Andrew Stern filed for divorce just weeks ago before killing himself at shooting range
- Despair in Miami: Heat fans mourn the loss of 'King James' to his 'home' in Cleveland by vandalizing mural featuring LeBron's face that took two years to create
- Adios England: Agony and despair as Uruguay's 2-1 victory destroys virtually any hope of going through to the next stage of World Cup
- Scientists discover the new black: British researchers devise material so dark it looks like a black hole
- Philip Seymour Hoffman split from partner Mimi O'Donnell in troubled last months
- Couple's stunning Icelandic wedding photos have gone viral
- Vladimir Putin gets 48 hour ultimatum over MH17 crash site
- Meet the seven women of Bravo's 'Ladies of London' whose drinking, cat fighting, royal name dropping and even labor scenes are coming to TV
- Kate Middleton pictured wearing bracelet available through her parents' website
- Two-legged stray dog gives birth to four puppies in China (and their legs are all in order!)
- Yes, yes, YES! Woman experience TWO types of orgasm, sonographs reveal
- Magaluf: The island where British girls sell their bodies for cash
- Pueblo West Metro Board: No more pot
- Police release pictures of clothes girl, 15, was wearing when she went missing before mysteriously reappearing nine months later
- Incredible rise from poverty of New York Ballet Theatre's second-ever black soloist
- Tearful Leno says goodbye after 22 years as Obama and host of stars pay tribute on his final show
- Germany's WAGs invade pitch after World Cup win and carry on partying all night
- 'Basically, I was against all white people.' Hoops superstar Michael Jordan admitted he turned racist when a girl at school called him a 'n****r,' new book reveals
- Zayn Malik heads out of Essex club after 'feeling unwell inside'
- 'It was a bigger deal for her than me': Neurofibromatosis sufferer beats prejudice to film nude with Scarlett Johansson
- Vitiligo sufferer Chantelle Brown-Young lands spot on America's Next Top Model
- Diane Stretton is at the center of several legal disputes and even sued her own son as she's spotted hiding in car at police station
- MH17 eyewitness accounts emerge of the horror that unfolded at crash site
- Friends shocked after aspiring fashionista, 27, is shot dead by her elementary school teacher boyfriend in murder-suicide
- 'Hell is Love': Inside the toxic world of CEO' daughter turned call girl 'killer,' Alix Tichelman
- 'NCIS' star Pauley Perrette issues warning about hair dye after having allergic reaction
- One Direction's luxury homes are a world away from the modest houses they grew up in
- Denver Union Station grand opening delayed until July 26
- Father does daughter's hair in five seconds using a VACUUM CLEANER
- Walking in New York? You're probably near a millionaire! Study reveals 1 in 25 Big Apple residents makes seven figures
- 'I know my time is limited': Newly crowned NFL cheerleader, 40, reveals incurable kidney disease has already claimed the lives of family members
- EXCLUSIVE: Couple who found $10m hoard of gold coins while walking dog could have broken law by not telling the police
- Surfing legend and oceanographer dies at 77
- Accounting graduate who posted image of her breastfeeding daughter at graduation defends herself amid spirited online debate
- Tourist captures mother wallaby with a joey offering pigeon some of its lunch
- Would you tie the knot with a total stranger? Meet the couples getting MARRIED at first sight
- The trail of death: Moment surface-to-air missile was fired at MH17, blowing plane apart in mid-air and killing 298 people
- Gaza bloodshed continues as 20 more Palestinians are killed in Israeli shelling
- WATCH: Grandmother records couple having sex on public beach
- Miss Colorado Teen Runner-Up Kristy Althaus 'stripped of title' after it emerges she starred in porn film
- Is this the end of the VPL? Miraculous STRAPLESS G-string adheres to your skin to let you go nearly-commando
- Passenger on doomed flight MH17 'joked about the flight disappearing'. Dutch man posted picture of plane before boarding 'in case it disappeared'
- British lawyer killed on MH17 along with his wife and three sons: Final UK victims named as John Allen and Andrew Hoare
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Cornell Robinson, Devery Kelley accused of robbing pregnant woman in labor in Maryland
- Father needed hospital treatment for three inch gash in his head after being attacked by his neighbour's cat because it hated his Hugo Boss AFTERSHAVE
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Business student 'posed on online dating sites as a high-flying engineer and architect to dupe love-struck women from around the world out of £186,000'
- Children undergo traditional 'lucky haircuts' in China (but don't seem happy about it!)
- And the Oscar goes to Samsung, Twitter AND Apple: How Ellen's backstage iPhone antics took the gloss off the now famous A-list selfie retweet taken on rival Galaxy smartphone
- Pictured: The men who stole the car of woman in labor at gunpoint
- Unseasonably warm weather set to make 1,000-mile Iditarod race even MORE grueling as mushers set off