Sam Champion 'betrayed' by ABC friends
- Champion, who was at GMA since 2006, left last week for the Weather Channel
- But weather star is upset by 'ridiculous stories' that he's power-crazed
- He's kept in touch with a few of his GMA pals - but they are negotiating new deals and 'he wants to step away while there is this negative gossip'
- Former Today Show rival Al Roker 'the first' to congratulate Sam on new job
PUBLISHED: 14:44 EST, 10 December 2013 | UPDATED: 14:54 EST, 10 December 2013
He is ‘excited and charged’ by his new multi-million dollar job with the Weather Channel.
But Sam Champion feels betrayed by people inside ABC whom he considered ‘friends’ after a string of ‘mean-spirited digs’ following his exit from Good Morning America, MailOnline can reveal today.
A source close to the star said: ‘Sam was with ABC for 25 years, when he did the goodbye show at GMA he felt good about walking out the door.
‘But then came these digs by people that throughout his career he would have called friends and he doesn’t understand why – or what’s in it for anybody.
Scroll down for video
Josh Elliott cried as he said goodbye to his fellow presenter Sam Champion on GMA on December 4 as Robin Roberts looked on
Champion and Elliott hugged it out at the end of the show as they said a tearful goodbye on December 4
The former weatherman on the hit ABC breakfast show made his last on-air appearance just six days ago and hugged co-star Robin Roberts while Josh Elliot wept during his emotional exit.
However, since his departure, Sam, 52, has been subjected to reports he is power crazed – and that he left ABC purely as a money-making venture.
And a source close to Sam revealed the attacks are upsetting during a particularly ‘joyous’ time in his career – adding he is particularly upset that his husband Rubem Robierb has been dragged into it.
Sam’s new job makes him the on-air face of the Weather Channel, based in Atlanta, appearing as host and serving as Managing Editor.
‘He had his first
day at the Weather Channel yesterday and he’s excited and charged and
had the best day ever and these ridiculous stories don’t make any sense
at all,' said the source.
While Robin Roberts, 53,
has recently signed a massive new deal with ABC, TV chiefs are
currently negotiating new contracts with GMA stars Josh Elliot, Lara Spencer and
George Stephanopoulos – all of whom have deals up within the year,
leaving the network in somewhat of a perilous situation at the top-rated morning show in the U.S.
Sam has kept in touch with ‘one or two’ of his GMA pals since leaving, but the friend said: ‘There’s a lot going on with them and they are in negotiations, he wants to step away while there is this negative gossip.
‘His tactic is that he needs to focus on his new job. And he wants them to make the best decisions for their lives and careers. ‘
Sam Champion has been with the ABC network since 1988 as weather host
For Sam, according to his friend, what is upsetting are reports that ABC were lining up his replacement Ginger Zee months ago as they believed he was unhappy at the network.
However, the source said: ‘Here’s the thing, Sam’s contract with ABC was up at the very end of November. He went to ABC in late summer and said ‘let’s start talking’ as he wanted to know he had a future at the network
‘They didn’t start talking until the first few weeks of November, which is when the Weather Channel deal came up.
‘It wasn’t a long-range plan, it wasn’t anything that had been going on for a year, that’s just not true.
‘He never saw the opportunity coming, but this is what he loves, he tried for years to convince the network that weather is news and it’s important.
‘The Weather Channel already knows this and they want to more. Sam thought ABC understood this.
‘He told them he would try to make everyone happy and make everyone look good.’
The source added: ‘It was joyous for Sam, he didn’t see why anyone should feel bad – he went and told everyone he loved them and walked out the door and the next morning comes this mean-spirited attack, like being punched.’
Attacking claims that he merely wanted to leave in an exercise to be able to licence his image on products like coffee mugs, the source insisted: ‘Sam’s deal with ABC wasn’t exclusive.
‘If he had wanted to licence merchandise he would have - all he needed was ABC’s approval.
‘He didn’t bolt to make all kinds of crazy money.’
Sad goodbyes: Champion (far right) bid farewell to the rest of the GMA team on December 4 (L-R) Josh Elliott, Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos and Lara Spencer
Upset: Sam Champion is said to be most upset his husband Rubem Robierb had been used in digs against him since leaving ABC. The couple are seen on their honeymoon
And discussing rumours that Sam’s husband Rubem, 36, had persuaded him to leave GMA as he refused to leave his hometown of Miami – so they could start a family , the source said: ‘It’s not fair to bring Rubem into it.
‘He would never have demanded that Sam leave ABC, if they were going to have babies Sam would be on the same schedule.
‘Rubem had never even been to Atlanta before yesterday.'
Ironically, in his new role, Sam
now joins forces with his former rival, Today weather co-host Al Roker,
whose one-hour Wake Up With Al airs on The Weather Channel weekdays at
6am (EST), then repeats at 10am.
Champion's new morning show will be tucked in between, airing from 7 to 10am. And Sam will also be in the partial employ (in a sense) of his old network rival: The Weather Channel is owned by a consortium made up in part of NBC Universal.
the first person to send Sam a text of support when he announced his
departure from GMA was Mr Roker.
Champion was in fits of laughter as tapes from the ABC archives were brought back to haunt him on his last day on GMA
Sam Champion and Josh Elliott became very emotional as they said goodbye on their last breakfast show together
Ginger Zee, who was on the ground in Denver, Colorado, on December 4 to cover the severe winter storm, has taken over from Champion as weather presenter at GMA
Al, 59, who hosts Wake Up With Al on the Weather Channel and sent a text saying ‘Congratulations, you’re going to love this place!’
The pair already plan lunch when Sam’s back in New York City and the source said: ‘They’ve known each other for 25 years, Sam knows Al’s wife and family and they socialise together.
‘Sam is not going to Today, he’s doing a 2/3 hour breakfast show on the Weather Channel.
‘‘Sam doesn’t understand why ABC can’t be happy for him – they have a great show, great talent and they don’t need to dig at him. He just wishes them the best.’'
GMA weather presenter Sam Champion said goodbye to viewers on December 4 on his last show before he heads to the Weather Channel
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Former Navy SEAL Kristin Beck, who retired to become female, speaks at conference of transgender soldiers to discuss U.S. military's ban
Kristin Beck - formerly Chris - addressed a conference in D.C. MondaySaid she could still serve her country just as well after gender changeBut Pentagon ...
- Chinese woman whips and kicks a toddler for wetting herself
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Girl, 16, with a heart condition collapses and dies while walking through haunted house
- Casey Baird's horror after daughter Tawnee is stabbed to death 'by her lesbian partner'
- Up to 34 MILLION blank 'green cards' and work permits to be ordered ahead of Obama illegal immigrant 'amnesty'
- Indiana body count rises to SEVEN as police fear 'Backpage' serial killer may have murdered many more women across the country
- Radicalized Canadian Muslim convert runs down two young soldiers in his car before being shot dead by police
- Halloween reveler pokes fun at domestic violence by dressing as Ray Rice dragging life-size blow up doll of wife he beat unconscious
- Serena Williams does the splits to put knee fears to rest as she beats Ana Ivanovic in straight sets at WTA championships
- Controversial CEO of oil giant Total killed in private jet plane crash after aircraft hit snow plough on take-off from Moscow airport
- US Marine held in the Philippines' mother claims she is being kept in the dark
- Slava Voynov suspended after he's arrested for domestic violence
- Disney's next animated feature, 'Moana,' slated for 2016 release
- Woman who got stuck in chimney had been dumped by homeowner she met online and had already been caught on his roof once before
- Kate dazzles in baby blue gown at black tie event at the Natural History Museum as she makes second public appearance of the day after battle with severe morning sickness
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Police give super-drunk Michigan woman a DUI after she mistakes the county jail for a bar
- Chinese boy had his armed ripped off by bear he tried to pat
- Oscar de la Renta, fashion designer, dead aged 82
- Ben & Jerry's will NOT change the name of new ice cream 'Hazed & Confused' despite complaints from anti-hazing activists
- Banksy's version of Girl With A Pearl Earring appears on Bristol wall
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Chili's cook fired for posting on Facebook 'sexy' shirtless photos taken at work
- Reeva Steenkamp's sister pleads with judge to jail Oscar Pistorius for twenty years
- Ohio girl who cut off her hair to give to cancer patients has to be taken out of school after being bullied and told she's ugly
- Bill and Hillary ignore Monica Lewinsky's public re-emergence as they continue supporting Democratic candidates on the campaign trail in Louisiana and California
- Free-floating images are made by firing lasers and they could be used to alert people to disasters
- Listen to Taylor Swift's new single, 'Welcome to New York'
- US troops battling Ebola in West Africa WON'T be equipped with Hazmat suits
- Man charged with killing Saudi college student
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Teen mother charged with attempted capital murder 'for trying to suffocate her son'
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- PIERS MORGAN: It wasn't the Internet that ruined your reputation, Monica, it was lust in the world's most powerful room - now welcome to Twitter!
- KNOP-TV's Joe Swift fired for wishing departing colleagues good luck live on-air
- New York City pays $200,000 to store homeless woman's belongings
- Oscar Pistorius to finally learn sentence for killing Reeva Steenkamp
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Revealed, Oregon's First Lady took older ex-lover (and pot-farm partner) on romantic Siberian trip just weeks after she was paid $5,000 for 'green card wedding' to Ethiopian immigrant
- Florida crane topples over and crushes an RV and three cars during routine tree removal
- Warren Buffett may suffer $1billion loss due to plummeting IBM stocks
- Ousted Barclays boss Bob Diamond throws his daughter a three-day wedding extravaganza in the South of France complete with TWO custom gowns and fireworks
- Are YOU spreading germs every time you wash the dishes? Researchers find 90% of tea towels in US kitchens are covered in bacteria
- CDC issues new guidelines for treating Ebola patients that ALL skin must be covered, after two nurses of patient zero contracted the virus
- Rachel Lynn Craig is first charged under 'revenge porn law' in Virginia
- Ohio man holding five children hostage threatens to open fire on police
State senator arrested TWICE in the same weekend for 'stalking' a frightened neighbor and TPing her house... just a month after he was caught drinking in public while sitting uninvited in other people's yards (0)
'Serial killer' confesses to killing a 19-year-old woman in a Motel 6 and leads cops to the bodies of three more victims... as it's revealed he 'may have hunted prostitutes he met over the Internet' (0)
In the clear: First 48 people exposed to Ebola 'patient zero' - including his fiancée and her children - emerge from quarantine after being declared disease free following 21-day incubation period (0)