Sam Champion 'betrayed' by ABC friends
- Champion, who was at GMA since 2006, left last week for the Weather Channel
- But weather star is upset by 'ridiculous stories' that he's power-crazed
- He's kept in touch with a few of his GMA pals - but they are negotiating new deals and 'he wants to step away while there is this negative gossip'
- Former Today Show rival Al Roker 'the first' to congratulate Sam on new job
PUBLISHED: 14:44 EST, 10 December 2013 | UPDATED: 14:54 EST, 10 December 2013
He is ‘excited and charged’ by his new multi-million dollar job with the Weather Channel.
But Sam Champion feels betrayed by people inside ABC whom he considered ‘friends’ after a string of ‘mean-spirited digs’ following his exit from Good Morning America, MailOnline can reveal today.
A source close to the star said: ‘Sam was with ABC for 25 years, when he did the goodbye show at GMA he felt good about walking out the door.
‘But then came these digs by people that throughout his career he would have called friends and he doesn’t understand why – or what’s in it for anybody.
Scroll down for video
Josh Elliott cried as he said goodbye to his fellow presenter Sam Champion on GMA on December 4 as Robin Roberts looked on
Champion and Elliott hugged it out at the end of the show as they said a tearful goodbye on December 4
The former weatherman on the hit ABC breakfast show made his last on-air appearance just six days ago and hugged co-star Robin Roberts while Josh Elliot wept during his emotional exit.
However, since his departure, Sam, 52, has been subjected to reports he is power crazed – and that he left ABC purely as a money-making venture.
And a source close to Sam revealed the attacks are upsetting during a particularly ‘joyous’ time in his career – adding he is particularly upset that his husband Rubem Robierb has been dragged into it.
Sam’s new job makes him the on-air face of the Weather Channel, based in Atlanta, appearing as host and serving as Managing Editor.
‘He had his first
day at the Weather Channel yesterday and he’s excited and charged and
had the best day ever and these ridiculous stories don’t make any sense
at all,' said the source.
While Robin Roberts, 53,
has recently signed a massive new deal with ABC, TV chiefs are
currently negotiating new contracts with GMA stars Josh Elliot, Lara Spencer and
George Stephanopoulos – all of whom have deals up within the year,
leaving the network in somewhat of a perilous situation at the top-rated morning show in the U.S.
Sam has kept in touch with ‘one or two’ of his GMA pals since leaving, but the friend said: ‘There’s a lot going on with them and they are in negotiations, he wants to step away while there is this negative gossip.
‘His tactic is that he needs to focus on his new job. And he wants them to make the best decisions for their lives and careers. ‘
Sam Champion has been with the ABC network since 1988 as weather host
For Sam, according to his friend, what is upsetting are reports that ABC were lining up his replacement Ginger Zee months ago as they believed he was unhappy at the network.
However, the source said: ‘Here’s the thing, Sam’s contract with ABC was up at the very end of November. He went to ABC in late summer and said ‘let’s start talking’ as he wanted to know he had a future at the network
‘They didn’t start talking until the first few weeks of November, which is when the Weather Channel deal came up.
‘It wasn’t a long-range plan, it wasn’t anything that had been going on for a year, that’s just not true.
‘He never saw the opportunity coming, but this is what he loves, he tried for years to convince the network that weather is news and it’s important.
‘The Weather Channel already knows this and they want to more. Sam thought ABC understood this.
‘He told them he would try to make everyone happy and make everyone look good.’
The source added: ‘It was joyous for Sam, he didn’t see why anyone should feel bad – he went and told everyone he loved them and walked out the door and the next morning comes this mean-spirited attack, like being punched.’
Attacking claims that he merely wanted to leave in an exercise to be able to licence his image on products like coffee mugs, the source insisted: ‘Sam’s deal with ABC wasn’t exclusive.
‘If he had wanted to licence merchandise he would have - all he needed was ABC’s approval.
‘He didn’t bolt to make all kinds of crazy money.’
Sad goodbyes: Champion (far right) bid farewell to the rest of the GMA team on December 4 (L-R) Josh Elliott, Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos and Lara Spencer
Upset: Sam Champion is said to be most upset his husband Rubem Robierb had been used in digs against him since leaving ABC. The couple are seen on their honeymoon
And discussing rumours that Sam’s husband Rubem, 36, had persuaded him to leave GMA as he refused to leave his hometown of Miami – so they could start a family , the source said: ‘It’s not fair to bring Rubem into it.
‘He would never have demanded that Sam leave ABC, if they were going to have babies Sam would be on the same schedule.
‘Rubem had never even been to Atlanta before yesterday.'
Ironically, in his new role, Sam
now joins forces with his former rival, Today weather co-host Al Roker,
whose one-hour Wake Up With Al airs on The Weather Channel weekdays at
6am (EST), then repeats at 10am.
Champion's new morning show will be tucked in between, airing from 7 to 10am. And Sam will also be in the partial employ (in a sense) of his old network rival: The Weather Channel is owned by a consortium made up in part of NBC Universal.
the first person to send Sam a text of support when he announced his
departure from GMA was Mr Roker.
Champion was in fits of laughter as tapes from the ABC archives were brought back to haunt him on his last day on GMA
Sam Champion and Josh Elliott became very emotional as they said goodbye on their last breakfast show together
Ginger Zee, who was on the ground in Denver, Colorado, on December 4 to cover the severe winter storm, has taken over from Champion as weather presenter at GMA
Al, 59, who hosts Wake Up With Al on the Weather Channel and sent a text saying ‘Congratulations, you’re going to love this place!’
The pair already plan lunch when Sam’s back in New York City and the source said: ‘They’ve known each other for 25 years, Sam knows Al’s wife and family and they socialise together.
‘Sam is not going to Today, he’s doing a 2/3 hour breakfast show on the Weather Channel.
‘‘Sam doesn’t understand why ABC can’t be happy for him – they have a great show, great talent and they don’t need to dig at him. He just wishes them the best.’'
GMA weather presenter Sam Champion said goodbye to viewers on December 4 on his last show before he heads to the Weather Channel
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Boy, 12, carrying a BB gun shot TWICE by Cleveland cop despite witness telling 911 dispatcher the weapon was 'probably fake'
Boy, 12, 'waving around' an airsoft gun outside Cuddell Recreation CenterConcerned man dialled 911, but told dispatcher it was 'probably fake gun'Cleveland Police arrived at ...
- Playboy playmate among new women to accuse of Cosby of sexual assault as his lawyer describes claims as 'increasingly ridiculous'
- Endangered sheep escapes from LA Zoo and dies after being 'struck in hit and run'
- Obama promises immigration advocates he will 'never give up' on reform
- Stars arrive at home of Diane Sawyer to pay their respects to her late Oscar-winning director husband Mike Nichols who died suddenly of a heart attack at 83
- HIV positive mother conceives two babies naturally after being diagnosed - and her baby and husband are free of the virus
- Prosecutor appointed to investigate 'gang rape by seven men at University of Virginia fraternity' forced to resign HOURS later as it emerged he was a member of the same brotherhood
- Rosamund Pike in talks to star in 'The Mountain Between Us'
- Unemployed nurse, 44, 'used a pillow to muffle the sounds of gunfire 'when she shot her three children in bed before trying to kill herself'
- Obama tees off alongside Derek Jeter on exclusive Las Vegas golf course one day after delivering historic immigration speech
- Teen fired from a restaurant for requesting six-weeks-off for brain and spinal cord cancer treatment
- Ellen Barkin books guest spot in 'Happyish' pilot
- Don't fry this at home! Fire department shows how NOT to deep-fry a turkey this Thanksgiving
- 'Black Seadevil' fish found in the deep waters off California coast
- Shark at Bondi beach found in nets for the SECOND time in under a week
- Missing Lois Lerner IRS emails may recovered by investigators
- Mashana Harris poses for photograph holding stolen credit card she used
- Kim Kardashian continues whirlwind trip by partying in Abu Dhabi after canceling visit to India amid visa issues
- Gorilla warfare! Angry ape throws rock at tourists when they try to video him at Berlin Zoo
- Devastated family of black man, 25, shot dead in St Louis days after Michael Brown lash out at police for dragging heels with investigation
- Japan earthquake collapses homes, causes injuries
- Penelope Cruz joins 'Zoolander 2'
- Buildings collapse and twelve die in snowstorm that has buried New York state in SEVEN feet of snow - as warmer weather and rain this weekend could turn drifts to deadly floods
- Could COFFEE treat a cocaine addiction? Caffeine 'blocks drug-induced changes in the brain'
- 'Sherlock' co-creator foreshadows 'tragedy' in season four
- 93-year-old woman marks 75 years working with same company
- NYPD officer violently bashes man in the head with baton at subway station during rush hour spraying blood on bystanders - and all because he didn't pay his fare
- Hundreds mourn beheaded American aid worker Peter Kassig during Muslim funeral service as top Syrian cleric threatens his killers with 'hellfire'
- How men are more turned on by a HISTORY documentary than Titanic kissing scene
- James Corden says his dad was shocked 'Late Late Show' starts at 12:30 a.m.
- 'Everyone is suffering': Michael Brown Sr. delivers turkeys for Thanksgiving as he begs the residents of Ferguson for peace no matter what decision a grand jury hands down in his son's death
- Naked man, 26, 'falls through ceiling into women's bathroom and assaults man, 84, in bizarre rampage at Boston's Logan Airport'
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- 'These won't be our last holidays together!': Tearful immigrant student says she had no idea she'd be in Obama speech that revealed her father can stay in America
- Cameron Diaz film caught up plagiarism row: Italian writer accuses 20th Century Fox of ripping off his novel
- Hundreds of wellwishers converge on Seville cathedral to pay their respects to eccentric Duchess of Alba as she is laid to rest
- Loretta Doyle Burroughs dragged husband's remains along each time she moved, says his brother
- Law & Order actress details Bill Cosby's attempted sexual assault of her while working on The Cosby Show - and claims he did drug at least one woman on set
- Guantanamo Bay prisoners released to Slovakia and Georgia included 'high risk' al-Qaeda members who traveled with Osama bin Laden and produced forged passports
- Obama 'secretly' broadens and extends mission in Afghanistan allowing US forces to hunt down Taliban fighters
- Too sexy for his job!: Bald mechanic, 53, was 'fired because he turned down sexual advances from his married female boss'
- Muslim substitute teacher charged with sexually assaulting 16-year-old male student now facing 17 years in jail
- University of Virginia Suspends all fraternal activities amid investigation of student's claim she was raped by seven fraternity brothers in 2012
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- How the student sons of Chinas super rich show off their wealth
- Stray dog that attended university lectures is killed by officials in China
- British jihadi killed in Kobane fighting for ISIS
- Japanese students using Downton Abbey to teach themselves Queen's English: Pupils making 600-mile round trips every week to sit in class watching DVDs and reading scripts