Sam Champion 'betrayed' by ABC friends
- Champion, who was at GMA since 2006, left last week for the Weather Channel
- But weather star is upset by 'ridiculous stories' that he's power-crazed
- He's kept in touch with a few of his GMA pals - but they are negotiating new deals and 'he wants to step away while there is this negative gossip'
- Former Today Show rival Al Roker 'the first' to congratulate Sam on new job
PUBLISHED: 14:44 EST, 10 December 2013 | UPDATED: 14:54 EST, 10 December 2013
He is ‘excited and charged’ by his new multi-million dollar job with the Weather Channel.
But Sam Champion feels betrayed by people inside ABC whom he considered ‘friends’ after a string of ‘mean-spirited digs’ following his exit from Good Morning America, MailOnline can reveal today.
A source close to the star said: ‘Sam was with ABC for 25 years, when he did the goodbye show at GMA he felt good about walking out the door.
‘But then came these digs by people that throughout his career he would have called friends and he doesn’t understand why – or what’s in it for anybody.
Scroll down for video
Josh Elliott cried as he said goodbye to his fellow presenter Sam Champion on GMA on December 4 as Robin Roberts looked on
Champion and Elliott hugged it out at the end of the show as they said a tearful goodbye on December 4
The former weatherman on the hit ABC breakfast show made his last on-air appearance just six days ago and hugged co-star Robin Roberts while Josh Elliot wept during his emotional exit.
However, since his departure, Sam, 52, has been subjected to reports he is power crazed – and that he left ABC purely as a money-making venture.
And a source close to Sam revealed the attacks are upsetting during a particularly ‘joyous’ time in his career – adding he is particularly upset that his husband Rubem Robierb has been dragged into it.
Sam’s new job makes him the on-air face of the Weather Channel, based in Atlanta, appearing as host and serving as Managing Editor.
‘He had his first
day at the Weather Channel yesterday and he’s excited and charged and
had the best day ever and these ridiculous stories don’t make any sense
at all,' said the source.
While Robin Roberts, 53,
has recently signed a massive new deal with ABC, TV chiefs are
currently negotiating new contracts with GMA stars Josh Elliot, Lara Spencer and
George Stephanopoulos – all of whom have deals up within the year,
leaving the network in somewhat of a perilous situation at the top-rated morning show in the U.S.
Sam has kept in touch with ‘one or two’ of his GMA pals since leaving, but the friend said: ‘There’s a lot going on with them and they are in negotiations, he wants to step away while there is this negative gossip.
‘His tactic is that he needs to focus on his new job. And he wants them to make the best decisions for their lives and careers. ‘
Sam Champion has been with the ABC network since 1988 as weather host
For Sam, according to his friend, what is upsetting are reports that ABC were lining up his replacement Ginger Zee months ago as they believed he was unhappy at the network.
However, the source said: ‘Here’s the thing, Sam’s contract with ABC was up at the very end of November. He went to ABC in late summer and said ‘let’s start talking’ as he wanted to know he had a future at the network
‘They didn’t start talking until the first few weeks of November, which is when the Weather Channel deal came up.
‘It wasn’t a long-range plan, it wasn’t anything that had been going on for a year, that’s just not true.
‘He never saw the opportunity coming, but this is what he loves, he tried for years to convince the network that weather is news and it’s important.
‘The Weather Channel already knows this and they want to more. Sam thought ABC understood this.
‘He told them he would try to make everyone happy and make everyone look good.’
The source added: ‘It was joyous for Sam, he didn’t see why anyone should feel bad – he went and told everyone he loved them and walked out the door and the next morning comes this mean-spirited attack, like being punched.’
Attacking claims that he merely wanted to leave in an exercise to be able to licence his image on products like coffee mugs, the source insisted: ‘Sam’s deal with ABC wasn’t exclusive.
‘If he had wanted to licence merchandise he would have - all he needed was ABC’s approval.
‘He didn’t bolt to make all kinds of crazy money.’
Sad goodbyes: Champion (far right) bid farewell to the rest of the GMA team on December 4 (L-R) Josh Elliott, Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos and Lara Spencer
Upset: Sam Champion is said to be most upset his husband Rubem Robierb had been used in digs against him since leaving ABC. The couple are seen on their honeymoon
And discussing rumours that Sam’s husband Rubem, 36, had persuaded him to leave GMA as he refused to leave his hometown of Miami – so they could start a family , the source said: ‘It’s not fair to bring Rubem into it.
‘He would never have demanded that Sam leave ABC, if they were going to have babies Sam would be on the same schedule.
‘Rubem had never even been to Atlanta before yesterday.'
Ironically, in his new role, Sam
now joins forces with his former rival, Today weather co-host Al Roker,
whose one-hour Wake Up With Al airs on The Weather Channel weekdays at
6am (EST), then repeats at 10am.
Champion's new morning show will be tucked in between, airing from 7 to 10am. And Sam will also be in the partial employ (in a sense) of his old network rival: The Weather Channel is owned by a consortium made up in part of NBC Universal.
the first person to send Sam a text of support when he announced his
departure from GMA was Mr Roker.
Champion was in fits of laughter as tapes from the ABC archives were brought back to haunt him on his last day on GMA
Sam Champion and Josh Elliott became very emotional as they said goodbye on their last breakfast show together
Ginger Zee, who was on the ground in Denver, Colorado, on December 4 to cover the severe winter storm, has taken over from Champion as weather presenter at GMA
Al, 59, who hosts Wake Up With Al on the Weather Channel and sent a text saying ‘Congratulations, you’re going to love this place!’
The pair already plan lunch when Sam’s back in New York City and the source said: ‘They’ve known each other for 25 years, Sam knows Al’s wife and family and they socialise together.
‘Sam is not going to Today, he’s doing a 2/3 hour breakfast show on the Weather Channel.
‘‘Sam doesn’t understand why ABC can’t be happy for him – they have a great show, great talent and they don’t need to dig at him. He just wishes them the best.’'
GMA weather presenter Sam Champion said goodbye to viewers on December 4 on his last show before he heads to the Weather Channel
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Obamacare law means Americans will see calorie-counts on menus and menu boards everywhere next year, but studies show dramatic move might make us eat MORE
Members of Congress who pushed for the rule say it doesn't go far enough and want it expanded to movie theaters, bowling alleys and theme ...
- Sting boards Broadway's 'The Last Ship'
- Oakwood High School student posts on Twitter 'Go Back To Africa'
- My eyes are up here! Bill Clinton caught 'not paying attention' in selfie with attractive brunette
- Body of missing mother found naked and bloody outside Philadelphia shopping mall just days after her release from prison
- Millionaire investor dumps much younger girlfriend of five years by serving her with a restraining order and kicking her out of the house after she returns from weekend away
- Madagascar bubonic plague outbreak has claimed 47 victims
- Phyllis Latour Doyle is awarded France's highest honour
- Kurt Cobain documentary in the works at HBO
- The tear-jerking moment a family gets to listen to their 21-year-old son's heart beating in the chest of a Vietnam vet
- University of Virginia looks at alcohol as factor in sex assaults
- Bill Cosby biographer: 'I was wrong' to ignore sexual assault allegations
- Don Lemon criticized for marijuana remark during Ferguson coverage
- Terms of Service
- Woman who 'had affair with Robert Rosenkranz' confronts wife on Twitter
- Thanksgiving travel nightmare: Nor'easter set to paralyze roads and cancel flights with Atlantic storm expected to dump snow at an inch an hour on Wednesday
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flagg in 'The Stand'?
- Putin's tiger the main suspect in mystery China goat deaths -Xinhua
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- 'You are too much of a p***y to shoot me': Explosive grand jury evidence reveals how an 'aggressive' Michael Brown taunted cop Darren Wilson before he was shot dead
- Phil Hughes in an induced coma after being struck in the head by ball
- NYPD chief sprayed with fake blood at Ferguson grand jury decision protest
- Ferguson locals laugh at wreckage, pose for pics, scavenge for beers
- Ferguson officer Darren Wilson in ABC George Stephanopoulos interview
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Alfonso Ribeiro wins Season 19 of 'Dancing with the Stars'
- NYU student 'helped former Delaware prosecutor set up threesome with teen'
- 'Ex-felon' offers himself up on Craiglist as the worst possible Thanksgiving date with promises to start a fight on the front lawn and propose in front of your family
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Mikael Lindnord who adopted stray dog now waits months to be reunited
- Ferguson cop Darren Wilson married fellow police officer last month
- Indiana Pacers player Paul George and former stripper Daniela Rajic resolve paternity battle regarding their 7-month-old baby girl
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Missouri cop shot in the arm as violent protests continue in the wake of the grand jury decision not to indict Officer Darren Wilson in Michael Brown's death
- Lily Allen declares Ebola charity single 'a bit smug'
- First woman named in charge of White House dessert menu but can she satisfy a sweet tooth and still meet First Lady Michelle Obama's healthy demands?
- Ferguson officer Darren Wilson's family tell of receiving death threats.
- Texas boy, 4, 'shot to death by his six-year-old brother in family home'...while their mother was outside in the backyard smoking a cigarette
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- South Carolina boy, 5, born without fingers can use his right hand with Iron Man-themed prosthesis
- CNN anchors choke on tear gas during live broadcast as police tweet cops are only using 'smoke'
- Swiss museum accepts collection of Nazi artworks left to it by German hoarder
- Ferguson riots claim first casualty as teenager found 'shot dead' in his car