Sam Champion 'betrayed' by ABC friends
- Champion, who was at GMA since 2006, left last week for the Weather Channel
- But weather star is upset by 'ridiculous stories' that he's power-crazed
- He's kept in touch with a few of his GMA pals - but they are negotiating new deals and 'he wants to step away while there is this negative gossip'
- Former Today Show rival Al Roker 'the first' to congratulate Sam on new job
PUBLISHED: 14:44 EST, 10 December 2013 | UPDATED: 14:54 EST, 10 December 2013
He is ‘excited and charged’ by his new multi-million dollar job with the Weather Channel.
But Sam Champion feels betrayed by people inside ABC whom he considered ‘friends’ after a string of ‘mean-spirited digs’ following his exit from Good Morning America, MailOnline can reveal today.
A source close to the star said: ‘Sam was with ABC for 25 years, when he did the goodbye show at GMA he felt good about walking out the door.
‘But then came these digs by people that throughout his career he would have called friends and he doesn’t understand why – or what’s in it for anybody.
Scroll down for video
Josh Elliott cried as he said goodbye to his fellow presenter Sam Champion on GMA on December 4 as Robin Roberts looked on
Champion and Elliott hugged it out at the end of the show as they said a tearful goodbye on December 4
The former weatherman on the hit ABC breakfast show made his last on-air appearance just six days ago and hugged co-star Robin Roberts while Josh Elliot wept during his emotional exit.
However, since his departure, Sam, 52, has been subjected to reports he is power crazed – and that he left ABC purely as a money-making venture.
And a source close to Sam revealed the attacks are upsetting during a particularly ‘joyous’ time in his career – adding he is particularly upset that his husband Rubem Robierb has been dragged into it.
Sam’s new job makes him the on-air face of the Weather Channel, based in Atlanta, appearing as host and serving as Managing Editor.
‘He had his first
day at the Weather Channel yesterday and he’s excited and charged and
had the best day ever and these ridiculous stories don’t make any sense
at all,' said the source.
While Robin Roberts, 53,
has recently signed a massive new deal with ABC, TV chiefs are
currently negotiating new contracts with GMA stars Josh Elliot, Lara Spencer and
George Stephanopoulos – all of whom have deals up within the year,
leaving the network in somewhat of a perilous situation at the top-rated morning show in the U.S.
Sam has kept in touch with ‘one or two’ of his GMA pals since leaving, but the friend said: ‘There’s a lot going on with them and they are in negotiations, he wants to step away while there is this negative gossip.
‘His tactic is that he needs to focus on his new job. And he wants them to make the best decisions for their lives and careers. ‘
Sam Champion has been with the ABC network since 1988 as weather host
For Sam, according to his friend, what is upsetting are reports that ABC were lining up his replacement Ginger Zee months ago as they believed he was unhappy at the network.
However, the source said: ‘Here’s the thing, Sam’s contract with ABC was up at the very end of November. He went to ABC in late summer and said ‘let’s start talking’ as he wanted to know he had a future at the network
‘They didn’t start talking until the first few weeks of November, which is when the Weather Channel deal came up.
‘It wasn’t a long-range plan, it wasn’t anything that had been going on for a year, that’s just not true.
‘He never saw the opportunity coming, but this is what he loves, he tried for years to convince the network that weather is news and it’s important.
‘The Weather Channel already knows this and they want to more. Sam thought ABC understood this.
‘He told them he would try to make everyone happy and make everyone look good.’
The source added: ‘It was joyous for Sam, he didn’t see why anyone should feel bad – he went and told everyone he loved them and walked out the door and the next morning comes this mean-spirited attack, like being punched.’
Attacking claims that he merely wanted to leave in an exercise to be able to licence his image on products like coffee mugs, the source insisted: ‘Sam’s deal with ABC wasn’t exclusive.
‘If he had wanted to licence merchandise he would have - all he needed was ABC’s approval.
‘He didn’t bolt to make all kinds of crazy money.’
Sad goodbyes: Champion (far right) bid farewell to the rest of the GMA team on December 4 (L-R) Josh Elliott, Robin Roberts, George Stephanopoulos and Lara Spencer
Upset: Sam Champion is said to be most upset his husband Rubem Robierb had been used in digs against him since leaving ABC. The couple are seen on their honeymoon
And discussing rumours that Sam’s husband Rubem, 36, had persuaded him to leave GMA as he refused to leave his hometown of Miami – so they could start a family , the source said: ‘It’s not fair to bring Rubem into it.
‘He would never have demanded that Sam leave ABC, if they were going to have babies Sam would be on the same schedule.
‘Rubem had never even been to Atlanta before yesterday.'
Ironically, in his new role, Sam
now joins forces with his former rival, Today weather co-host Al Roker,
whose one-hour Wake Up With Al airs on The Weather Channel weekdays at
6am (EST), then repeats at 10am.
Champion's new morning show will be tucked in between, airing from 7 to 10am. And Sam will also be in the partial employ (in a sense) of his old network rival: The Weather Channel is owned by a consortium made up in part of NBC Universal.
the first person to send Sam a text of support when he announced his
departure from GMA was Mr Roker.
Champion was in fits of laughter as tapes from the ABC archives were brought back to haunt him on his last day on GMA
Sam Champion and Josh Elliott became very emotional as they said goodbye on their last breakfast show together
Ginger Zee, who was on the ground in Denver, Colorado, on December 4 to cover the severe winter storm, has taken over from Champion as weather presenter at GMA
Al, 59, who hosts Wake Up With Al on the Weather Channel and sent a text saying ‘Congratulations, you’re going to love this place!’
The pair already plan lunch when Sam’s back in New York City and the source said: ‘They’ve known each other for 25 years, Sam knows Al’s wife and family and they socialise together.
‘Sam is not going to Today, he’s doing a 2/3 hour breakfast show on the Weather Channel.
‘‘Sam doesn’t understand why ABC can’t be happy for him – they have a great show, great talent and they don’t need to dig at him. He just wishes them the best.’'
GMA weather presenter Sam Champion said goodbye to viewers on December 4 on his last show before he heads to the Weather Channel
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Bioengineering graduate, 25, dies of an apparent drug overdose after being found unconscious at the apartment of a 46-year-old New York hotel developer
Sean Verdi was found passed out in a bathtub at the apartment of New York hotelier Ian Reisner, 46The 25-year-old from Brooklyn was rushed to ...
- Honey Boo Boo's Anna 'Chickadee' Cardwell sobs over Mama June
- My $7m-a-year investment banker husband forced me to have sex with drug firm boss in foursome at the Ritz after cocaine binge, claims his wife
- Woman, 24, featured in viral catcalling video now receiving RAPE threats from online commenters
- Police chief WON'T stop defiant Ebola nurse Kaci Hickox breaking her quarantine
- ISIS brutality as 30 Sunni men are paraded through Iraqi town before being shot dead
- How real-life Wolf of Wall Street went on 'Las Vegas drug fest with hookers, cuddled his toddler after bad ketamine trip and snorted heroin and cocaine via NASAL spray': Wife at center of foursome divorce details her husband's debauchery
- Pizza deliveryman, 20, 'strangled and stabbed to death his roommate and then had sex with her dead body' before driving to a barbershop for a haircut'
- Texas executes ex-gang member for deaths of 3
- Colorado high school sweethearts killed in murder-suicide
- JetBlue passenger flying in from Jamaica arrested for hiding cocaine in her privates
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- First competitor defeated by Old Stage Grill's new 4lb bacon cheeseburger and 2lbs worth of fries
- Mama June's child molester 'boyfriend' spotted with mystery woman as reality star puts on a united front on shopping trip with ex Sugar Bear and daughter Honey Boo Boo
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Meet the woman who was blind from the age of 11... but got her sight back when she hit her head on a COFFEE TABLE
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- BREAKING NEWS: RAF jets 'intercepting Latvian cargo plane' cause huge sonic boom over Kent
- Dozens of guests at NAACP banquet fall ill after dining on salmon and salad in San Francisco hotel
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Woman dropped dog named Chloe off at the vet and returned to find her pug's eye had been removed in surgery WITHOUT her consent
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Mama June and ex Sugar Bear put on a united front as they step out with daughter Honey Boo Boo amid child abuse scandal
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West fans imitate the fashion icons by posting nearly identical outfit pictures on blog
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Father Kevin James of Louisville, Kentucky, shames 10-year-old daughter for lying about her age
- Actress becomes EIGHTH woman to make sexual abuse claims against fired CBC host Jian Ghomeshi as it's revealed he 'would turn his teddy to face the wall during violent sex'
- Republican candidate under fire over island that 'vanished' from popular lake overlooked by his multi-million dollar home
- Sweet victory! San Francisco Giants WIN the World Series after beating the Kansas City Royals 3-2 in Game 7
- Frontier Airlines plane's wing gets stuck in fence at Chicago O'Hare airport
- Artist Alejandro Almaraz compiles headshots of global leaders over generations
- Buddhist temple leader and young monk still in comas after one shot the other in the head with a nail gun before turning the weapon on himself
- From the sublime to the ridiculous: While one driver slots his car straight into a space the same size, another smashes into neighbouring vehicle 15 TIMES trying to reverse out of a parking bay
- Kid Rock fan gets the surprise of a lifetime when the singer turns up at his birthday party
- Quentin Tarantino's quest for the world's scariest six seconds in Vine competition
- Thirty-six Corvettes that belonged to artist Peter Max to be restored
- Utah family of five may have been poisoned after cops reveal they found cups with red liquid by their bodies in locked room
- Woman sprays chemist staff with BREAST MILK in bizarre distraction theft
- Meet Mr Biscuits, the miracle kitten that survived a horrific car journey stuck in a scorching hot engine for TWO hours
- What your PERSONALITY says about your health: Being hardworking and curious protects against disease - but anxious and moody people suffer more ill health
- Obama administration plans to rush non-Americans into the US for Ebola treatment
- Father who vanished from Denver Broncos match does not like crowds
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- PIERS MORGAN: Selfless Ebola Nurse Kaci is actually utterly selfish. Three weeks in quarantine won't kill her and it might just save someone's life