Qantas staff upset by 'sexy' new uniform, modelled by Miranda Kerr
- Miranda Kerr modelled the Martin Grant-designed uniforms in April
- Flight attendants have complained they don't suit anyone but the model
- The uniforms will be rolled out across 12,000 staff from Thursday
- Last week Qantas announced 1,000 jobs would be cut to save AUS$2bn
By Martha De Lacey
PUBLISHED: 08:32 EST, 9 December 2013 | UPDATED: 19:01 EST, 9 December 2013
Australian supermodel and Victoria's Secret Angel Miranda Kerr has swapped lacy lingerie for a black and fuchsia shift dress, modelling the new uniform for Australian airline Qantas.
But the flight attendants expected to wear the new attire while working on flights have complained that it is too sexy, impractically tight, and unflattering on anyone who doesn't have the enviably slim curves of Orlando Bloom's ex-wife.
Speaking about the Martin Grant-designed uniforms - which Qantas ambassador Kerr, 30, first modelled in April - one domestic short-haul flight attendant told Australia's Daily Telegraph: 'The uniforms are really tight and they are simply not practical for the very physical job we have to do.'
Scroll down for video
Miranda Kerr modelling the new uniform for Qantas air stewards, designed by Martin Grant
When first revealed by Qantas CEO Alan Joyce, staff complained the uniforms were 'too sexy' and uncomfortable.
One stewardess added: 'The uniform looks fantastic on Miranda Kerr but unfortunately we don't all look like her," said another attendant.
'Hosties range in age from their 20s to
their 60s and a lot of the older ones don't want to wear tight-fitting
uniforms,' she continued.
'We like the current Peter Morrissey-designed uniforms. They are really comfortable.'
Over 12,000 Qantas employees will wear the new uniform from Thursday, despite the airline having recently announced plans to cut 1000 jobs in a bit to save AUS$2bn over then next three years.
A spokeswoman for the Flight Attendants Association of Australia National Division said union members had been in touch with concerns about the new dresses.
Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, she said: 'We have asked the airline to tweak the uniform a little to accommodate some concerns.
'Once it comes in and the crew are wearing it we will be having more discussions. If there are more issues, obviously we would expect the company to iron them out.'
But a Qantas spokeswoman said several crew members had been on a panel which gave input into the design, and that the new clothes had been trialled by 75 members of staff who wore int on the job for several weeks.
She said: 'The feedback we've had from staff on the new uniform has been overwhelmingly positive.
'There are bound to be some adjustments needed as we roll out multiple pieces to 12,000 people, but it's been going very smoothly and there's a lot of excitement.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Surfer's worst nightmare: Drone footage captures a massive shark circling paddle boarders in the water as it chases school of fish
Footage was shot at Killcare Beach on the NSW Central Coast on FridayDrone pilot Tom Caska captured the moment a great white started following a ...
- Jasmine Tridevil adds third breast in bid to become reality TV star
- Tragedy as father-of-two dies after being hit in the head by baseball during warm up for 12-year-old son's Little League game
- Fury over NY Times critic who called 'Scandal' and 'Grey's Anatomy' creator Shonda Rhimes an 'angry black woman'
- Pictured: The two men who 'breached White House security one after the other' - an Iraq vet with PTSD who 'jumped the fence with a knife', and a 19-year-old college student
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Afghan soldiers visiting U.S. vanish from Cape Cod Mall in Hyannis
- Melanie Griffith displays her very slender frame in black leggings as she jets into LAX with daughter Stella after whirlwind NY trip
- Pirouetting palace sentry Samuel Holmes facing three weeks in military jail for YouTube antics is unmasked
- CBS executive's wife Jill Tarlov dies days after collision with cyclist in Central Park
- William Lopez who wrongly served 23 years dies from ashthma attack
- Bride to be killed in car crash and fiance injured on way back from pre-marriage counselling session
- Barbara Walters bumped from The View? ABC 'refused to let show's co-creator appear live in premier of new line-up'
- 49ers player Colin Kaepernick is being fined $11,000 for allegedly calling Chicago Bears player Lamarr Houston the 'N word' even though BOTH PLAYERS deny any racial slurs were uttered
- Harry Potter star Emma Watson says she has experienced sexism since age eight in speech as UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women
- Gangsters shot dead boy, 9, who had stormed out of his home in a fight over a cupcake because they thought he was working for their rivals
- It can't be too far off! VERY pregnant Chelsea Clinton appears at star-studded gala as dad Bill reveals October 1 due date
- Miracle survival of baby washed 200ft and buried in mud by floodwater that tore down bedroom wall
- Graduate map shows huge increase in US adults going to college and getting a degree since 1970... even though tuition has risen by 400%
- Fifth 'armed and dangerous' inmate who broke out of California jail is captured and put back in custody 24 hours after four other escapees were apprehended
- Photo shows every plane landing at LaGuardia Airport in New York over one hour
- Sarah Palin finally speaks out about Alaska brawl
- Seven-month-old baby girl orphaned after parents found dead in suspected murder-suicide
- Is this British grandmother the real Queen of Denmark? Woman claims to be the secret great grandchild of 'childless' Frederik VII and his ballerina wife
- 'I was in too much shock to scream': Australian tourist, 21, who was shot in the face in New Orleans is trying to raise $135,000 to reconstruct her face... because her travel insurance won't cover the costs
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Woman accused of breaking into Tennessee elementary school cafeteria in her underwear and wielding baseball bat while screaming
- Into the deep! Rare 350kg colossal squid found in the Antarctic is defrosted and examined by scientists for the first time
- Would Dowager approve? Couples can now get legally wed Downton Abbey style ... in the courtroom where Mr Bates was tried
- 'My David died a hero': Father of backpacker murdered in Thailand says his son tried to save female victim as it's revealed she may have been raped by two local men
- Rescuers pull hiker from Idaho mountain after she was pinned under 2-TON boulder
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Miranda Lambert in tears as she sings to sick 7-year-old fan
- 'World's sexiest criminal' Stéphanie Boudoin charged with 114 COUNTS
- Coffee that tastes like BEER? Starbucks tests the new non-alcoholic Dark Barrel Latte designed to taste like Guinness
- Testosterone-fuelled elephant fights black rhino as she protects her calf
- Paula Deen to appear on 'Today' and 'The Chew' this week
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Person of interest' in hunt for missing Hannah Graham is a nursing assistant claims he did NOT drive off with her in his car...as ONE THOUSAND volunteers search for her
- Couple who lived on takeaways shed more than 13st between them after discovering how to make kebabs at home
- Boy who danced while he was being treated for Ebola in heart-warming video is one of lucky few to make full recovery and leave treatment camp in Liberia
- Jennifer Aniston, the Duchess of Cambridge and... Margaret Thatcher! The most popular hairstyles ever created (and the women who wore them) revealed
- U.S. owners of Shanghai meat factory accused of supplying expired meat to American fast food chains lays off 340 staff members
- Turkey closes borders as 130,000 Syrians flee Isis onslaught against innocents with stolen tanks and artillery
- Senator Mary Landrieu helps college kids do keg stands at ball game
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Base jumper Ramon Rojas dies practising for competition in Switzerland
- Apple will finally let users know what apps are draining their battery life with new iOS 8
- Queen back at the helm with a visit to Malta: Historic family trip planned for next November with her three heirs
- Rotten weather, friends' social media updates and husbands who just won't listen: Why women spend 10 days a YEAR in a bad mood
A Hollywood star, a corrupt politician and a wild teen party which led to the theft of a rare Picasso: California mega-mansion sells for just $5 million after checkered past puts it in government hands (0)