Qantas staff upset by 'sexy' new uniform, modelled by Miranda Kerr
- Miranda Kerr modelled the Martin Grant-designed uniforms in April
- Flight attendants have complained they don't suit anyone but the model
- The uniforms will be rolled out across 12,000 staff from Thursday
- Last week Qantas announced 1,000 jobs would be cut to save AUS$2bn
By Martha De Lacey
PUBLISHED: 08:32 EST, 9 December 2013 | UPDATED: 19:01 EST, 9 December 2013
Australian supermodel and Victoria's Secret Angel Miranda Kerr has swapped lacy lingerie for a black and fuchsia shift dress, modelling the new uniform for Australian airline Qantas.
But the flight attendants expected to wear the new attire while working on flights have complained that it is too sexy, impractically tight, and unflattering on anyone who doesn't have the enviably slim curves of Orlando Bloom's ex-wife.
Speaking about the Martin Grant-designed uniforms - which Qantas ambassador Kerr, 30, first modelled in April - one domestic short-haul flight attendant told Australia's Daily Telegraph: 'The uniforms are really tight and they are simply not practical for the very physical job we have to do.'
Scroll down for video
Miranda Kerr modelling the new uniform for Qantas air stewards, designed by Martin Grant
When first revealed by Qantas CEO Alan Joyce, staff complained the uniforms were 'too sexy' and uncomfortable.
One stewardess added: 'The uniform looks fantastic on Miranda Kerr but unfortunately we don't all look like her," said another attendant.
'Hosties range in age from their 20s to
their 60s and a lot of the older ones don't want to wear tight-fitting
uniforms,' she continued.
'We like the current Peter Morrissey-designed uniforms. They are really comfortable.'
Over 12,000 Qantas employees will wear the new uniform from Thursday, despite the airline having recently announced plans to cut 1000 jobs in a bit to save AUS$2bn over then next three years.
A spokeswoman for the Flight Attendants Association of Australia National Division said union members had been in touch with concerns about the new dresses.
Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, she said: 'We have asked the airline to tweak the uniform a little to accommodate some concerns.
'Once it comes in and the crew are wearing it we will be having more discussions. If there are more issues, obviously we would expect the company to iron them out.'
But a Qantas spokeswoman said several crew members had been on a panel which gave input into the design, and that the new clothes had been trialled by 75 members of staff who wore int on the job for several weeks.
She said: 'The feedback we've had from staff on the new uniform has been overwhelmingly positive.
'There are bound to be some adjustments needed as we roll out multiple pieces to 12,000 people, but it's been going very smoothly and there's a lot of excitement.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Romanian footballer's girlfriend in row over animal cruelty after posting bizarre picture of pet puppy nibbling her bra
Madalina Pamfile, 21, is girlfriend of AC Milan midfielder Cristian DaminutaShe posted picture of dog nibbling breast alongside caption: 'My new love'Later wrote: Envy is ...
- Wedding descends into brawl after 'drunk' groom gets 'touchy-feely' with waitress
- Woman is killed along with her three children and boyfriend in plane crash near Erie airport
- Jennifer Lawrence victim of hacker who leaks slew of graphic nude photos of Oscar winning actress and 'dozens of A-listers'
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Bryan Hamade denies he's the hacker who leaked celebrity nude photos
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Would you sell YOUR privacy for $100 a month? Market researchers scrutinise web searches and viewing habits for a fee
- Did iCloud's 'Find My iPhone' function help hackers steal celebrities' 'nude' photos? Flaw may have exposed hundreds of images
- Nordic diet volunteers lost three times as much weight as others
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- 'The colour of his skin is of no concern - Jonah being a healthy and happy baby is what matters': White child is born to black mother - beating odds of a million-to-one
- Why millions of Pakistani children are falling prey to vicious paedophiles
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Louisiana TV host shot dead by son-in-law who was also believed to be his lover in alleged murder-suicide attempt
- New York's West Indian Day Parade again marred by violence - this time before it even starts
- Dance teacher accused of molesting pupil and running 'cult' school shot dead in his Louisiana home by son-in-law who was also his former lover
- Will Saudi Arabia MOVE Prophet Muhammad's remains?
- FBI involved in Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton nude photo leaks
- Quiz to see if YOU are less computer literate than a 5-year-old?
- Three American captives held in North Korea say their plight is 'urgent' and beg U.S. government for help in new interview
- Iraqi TV's cartoon satire on terror, ISIS, and jihadis
- Clifton engagement ring box springs open to present sparkler like a blooming flower
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Stonehenge WAS completely round: 5,000 year mystery solved by groundsman who couldn't water part of the circle because a hosepipe was too short
- Israel under fire for 'largest West Bank land grab in 30 years' as soldiers swoop on 1,000 acres of Palestinian territory
- When does a houseboat become just a house? As California is hit with one of its worst droughts in decades scientists warn they could soon last up to 30 years at a time
- Indonesian student six years jail for calling city 'stupid' social media
- David Cameron unveils new terror crackdown as Scots girl incites massacre on Britain
- Thomas Knights' photography proves red headed men can be 'sexy' and 'heroic' in New York exhibition
- Joan Rivers joked about 'going in for procedure' the night before operation
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Water way to see the Windy City! Virtual tourists can go on tour of Chicago's canals in hyper-speed video filmed on a boat
- Liberated from ISIS: Iraqi minority celebrate end of two-month siege after fundamentalists are defeated by Shia militias backed by American air power
- White British girl who's now a 'celebrity jihadi': Mother-of-two a 'top priority' for MI6 and she calls on Muslims to join the terror group
- Gym teacher sentenced to 20 months in prison for two-year sexual relationship she had with 15-year-old male student
- Staten Island teen dead under mysterious circumstances when he collapses during football practice
- Dozens of teenagers escape from detention center under a weak spot in the fence
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Tributes paid to 'beautiful' girl, 9, who died when sand hole she was digging with her siblings collapsed and smothered her in tragic vacation accident
- 'I was desperate to have a baby'. Aussie mum gives birth 3 years after husbands death
- Mother accused of killing her severely disabled daughter, eight, could still inherit $1 million of her trust fund even if she is convicted
- Caught in the nick of time: Man dashes fully-clothed into a lake to save his drone from the water after it runs out of battery
- Pictured: British man 'who shot dead his father-in-law lover - a Louisiana TV host - in failed murder-suicide bid'
- Russia threatens NATO as it warns it is updating its military doctrine
- Is this ISIS' youngest jihadi 'cub'?: Disturbing footage emerges of young child in full terror garb shooting an AK47
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- New wave of leaks plague celebrities as authorities prove unable to stop spread while some suggest naked photos were passed around users in an online CLUB for months