'Santa, if you have nuts, candy, or toys to spare, kindly send me some?' A child's humble Christmas wish list from 1915
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 14:48 EST, 9 December 2013 | UPDATED: 14:48 EST, 9 December 2013
Filled with modern gadgets and the latest toys, Christmas wish lists today are bursting with material items.
But a humble 98-year-old letter sent to Santa Claus proves that such extravagant expectations have not always been the norm.
In 1915, seven-year-old Homer Mellen from London, Ontario simply wanted a 'box of paints, a nine cent reader, and a school bag to put them in.'
A humble letter sent to Santa Claus in 1915 by seven-year-old Homer Mellen proves that extravagant Christmas wish lists have not always been the norm
Larry Mellen, 79, kept his father's modest wish list in order to 'put away for memories for grandchildren,' he told Good Morning America this morning.
'It says so much about the lack of appreciation for those things that truly are a special gift,' Mr Mellon explained, comparing his father's unassuming list to those of children today.
'We just take it for granted that you're going to have that stuff at Christmas time, or any other time for that matter.'
His father's letter to Santa Claus modestly continues: 'And if you have any nuts, or candy, or toys to spare, would you kindly send me some. You will please a seven year old boy.'
Homer's granddaughter, Laurie Bloomfield, 49, of Nova Scotia, is keeping the letter to share with her own grandchildren.
'I'm a teacher, so as teacher I get to hear a lot of kids' wishes,' she said. 'What I find with this generation is they want to talk a lot, they want to put out a lot of information. They have lots to say and want to tell it all.'
After one little girl's lavish list, which included '1,000 bucks', a puppy, a Razor scooter that 'lights up', 'All of the Beanie Babies' and 'A little thing that can turn into anything at anytime,' went viral last week, Ms Bloomfield said she wanted to share her grandfather's own wish list.
'We just take for granted that whatever we want out there we can have, and that isn't the case,' said Mr Mellen.
'When my father was young, to put your stocking up with care and knowing that you were going to get maybe an orange, that was the magic of Christmas.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Former Navy SEAL Kristin Beck, who retired to become female, speaks at conference of transgender soldiers to discuss U.S. military's ban
Kristin Beck - formerly Chris - addressed a conference in D.C. MondaySaid she could still serve her country just as well after gender changeBut Pentagon ...
- Chinese woman whips and kicks a toddler for wetting herself
- Casey Baird's horror after daughter Tawnee is stabbed to death 'by her lesbian partner'
- Girl, 16, with a heart condition collapses and dies while walking through haunted house
- Halloween reveler pokes fun at domestic violence by dressing as Ray Rice dragging life-size blow up doll of wife he beat unconscious
- Indiana body count rises to SEVEN as police fear 'Backpage' serial killer may have murdered many more women across the country
- Up to 34 MILLION blank 'green cards' and work permits to be ordered ahead of Obama illegal immigrant 'amnesty'
- Controversial CEO of oil giant Total killed in private jet plane crash after aircraft hit snow plough on take-off from Moscow airport
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- US Marine held in the Philippines' mother claims she is being kept in the dark
- Woman who got stuck in chimney had been dumped by homeowner she met online and had already been caught on his roof once before
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Serena Williams does the splits to put knee fears to rest as she beats Ana Ivanovic in straight sets at WTA championships
- Disney's next animated feature, 'Moana,' slated for 2016 release
- Radicalized Canadian Muslim convert runs down two young soldiers in his car before being shot dead by police
- Slava Voynov suspended after he's arrested for domestic violence
- Chinese boy had his armed ripped off by bear he tried to pat
- Ben & Jerry's will NOT change the name of new ice cream 'Hazed & Confused' despite complaints from anti-hazing activists
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Free-floating images are made by firing lasers and they could be used to alert people to disasters
- Reeva Steenkamp's sister pleads with judge to jail Oscar Pistorius for twenty years
- Banksy's version of Girl With A Pearl Earring appears on Bristol wall
- Bill and Hillary ignore Monica Lewinsky's public re-emergence as they continue supporting Democratic candidates on the campaign trail in Louisiana and California
- Police give super-drunk Michigan woman a DUI after she mistakes the county jail for a bar
- Listen to Taylor Swift's new single, 'Welcome to New York'
- Man charged with killing Saudi college student
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Guiding Light's Crystal Hunt AVOIDS prison as she's sentenced to three years' probation
- Oscar Pistorius to finally learn sentence for killing Reeva Steenkamp
- Ohio girl who cut off her hair to give to cancer patients has to be taken out of school after being bullied and told she's ugly
- US troops battling Ebola in West Africa WON'T be equipped with Hazmat suits
- PIERS MORGAN: It wasn't the Internet that ruined your reputation, Monica, it was lust in the world's most powerful room - now welcome to Twitter!
- Teen mother charged with attempted capital murder 'for trying to suffocate her son'
- Rachel Lynn Craig is first charged under 'revenge porn law' in Virginia
- Ohio man holding five children hostage threatens to open fire on police
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- The appalling fate of Yemen and Somalia's khat addicts revealed
- Ousted Barclays boss Bob Diamond throws his daughter a three-day wedding extravaganza in the South of France complete with TWO custom gowns and fireworks
- KNOP-TV's Joe Swift fired for wishing departing colleagues good luck live on-air
- New York City pays $200,000 to store homeless woman's belongings
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- CDC issues new guidelines for treating Ebola patients that ALL skin must be covered, after two nurses of patient zero contracted the virus
- Florida crane topples over and crushes an RV and three cars during routine tree removal
- Free late at last! Ebola children rush back to school in Dallas after release form 21 day quarantine as a relative of Thomas Eric Duncan is pictured hours after being given the all clear
- Oscar de la Renta, fashion designer, dead aged 82
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
State senator arrested TWICE in the same weekend for 'stalking' a frightened neighbor and TPing her house... just a month after he was caught drinking in public while sitting uninvited in other people's yards (0)
The real Lives of Others: German tourists relive the Communist East by spending a night in a Stasi bunker - with 'basic training' and authentic military rations (but they escape to a sauna at the end) (0)