'Santa, if you have nuts, candy, or toys to spare, kindly send me some?' A child's humble Christmas wish list from 1915
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 14:48 EST, 9 December 2013 | UPDATED: 14:48 EST, 9 December 2013
Filled with modern gadgets and the latest toys, Christmas wish lists today are bursting with material items.
But a humble 98-year-old letter sent to Santa Claus proves that such extravagant expectations have not always been the norm.
In 1915, seven-year-old Homer Mellen from London, Ontario simply wanted a 'box of paints, a nine cent reader, and a school bag to put them in.'
A humble letter sent to Santa Claus in 1915 by seven-year-old Homer Mellen proves that extravagant Christmas wish lists have not always been the norm
Larry Mellen, 79, kept his father's modest wish list in order to 'put away for memories for grandchildren,' he told Good Morning America this morning.
'It says so much about the lack of appreciation for those things that truly are a special gift,' Mr Mellon explained, comparing his father's unassuming list to those of children today.
'We just take it for granted that you're going to have that stuff at Christmas time, or any other time for that matter.'
His father's letter to Santa Claus modestly continues: 'And if you have any nuts, or candy, or toys to spare, would you kindly send me some. You will please a seven year old boy.'
Homer's granddaughter, Laurie Bloomfield, 49, of Nova Scotia, is keeping the letter to share with her own grandchildren.
'I'm a teacher, so as teacher I get to hear a lot of kids' wishes,' she said. 'What I find with this generation is they want to talk a lot, they want to put out a lot of information. They have lots to say and want to tell it all.'
After one little girl's lavish list, which included '1,000 bucks', a puppy, a Razor scooter that 'lights up', 'All of the Beanie Babies' and 'A little thing that can turn into anything at anytime,' went viral last week, Ms Bloomfield said she wanted to share her grandfather's own wish list.
'We just take for granted that whatever we want out there we can have, and that isn't the case,' said Mr Mellen.
'When my father was young, to put your stocking up with care and knowing that you were going to get maybe an orange, that was the magic of Christmas.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Courtney Lapresi was named the newest winner of MasterChef last night The 25-year-old formerly worked as a stripper in PhiladelphiaWith her win she will get ...
- Would you perform life-saving surgery on your GOLDFISH? George the carp goes under the knife to remove a deadly tumour
- Thai woman 'threw herself' into crocodile pit at Bangkok zoo
- 'Princeton boarding school teacher arrested after sexual relationship with 16-year-old student'
- Looting starts in celebrity paradise as 24,000 tourists are trapped after Hurricane Odile's 125 mph winds slam Mexico's Baja California peninsula including beach resort favored by stars such as George Clooney
- Female bodybuilder arrested 'for attacking her boyfriend and shattering his pick-up truck windshield with a kick'
- Miss Nebraska flashes live television audience during Miss America pageant
- Hostage Alan Henning was kidnapped by IS just 30mins after entering Syria thanks to a tip-off from a corrupt official... then incredibly terrorist group Al-Qaeda tried to get him released on the grounds that taking him was 'unIslamic'
- Ukrainian minister Vitaly Zhuravsky thrown into bin and pelted with rubbish by angry mob
- Ana Maria Gonzalez-Angulo trial begins
- 'There was blood everywhere': Country club wedding in upstate New York ends in a savage brawl involving 100 guests
- 'They won because he took his life as a result': Mother claims 14-year-old son who shot himself dead in school bathroom had been 'bullied for years'
- Remains of abandoned 'Borscht Belt' resorts of Upstate New York hotels
- Mummified corpses and plastic bags filled with decomposed remains: Guatemalan grave cleaners remove the dead who can no longer afford their crypts
- Iran claims it turned down U.S. request to help defeat ISIS
- 'Voting No is the patriotic thing to do', says David Cameron in final speech
- Moment a news chopper pilot leads cops to carjacking suspect who tried to hide in a field following high-speed chase
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- NFL appoints three domestic violence experts and creates social responsibility department in wake of Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson scandals
- US to send 3,000 troops to Ebola danger zone Liberia
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Model sues Apple after celeb photo leak saying she warned them TWICE about security months before
- EXCLUSIVE: It's a new View, but Rosie O'Donnell is up to her old tricks as shoeless star rubs co-hosts Whoopi, Rosie Perez and Nicolle Wallace the wrong way, demanding they toe the line behind the scenes
- 'My mom did best job she could': Hall of Famer Cris Carter gets emotional as he discusses his own upbringing and praises former team for sidelining Adrian Peterson
- 'When a gunnery sergeant tells you to take off your clothes, you better take off your clothes. You don't ask questions.': The male victims of military rape tell their heartbreaking stories
- MI5 know who ISIS' 'Jihadi John' is but are waiting to make a move
- Sweaty and barefaced Sarah Palin steps out without her wedding ring for first time since family fight
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Police release CCTV image of missing UVA student, 18, inside her apartment block hours before she disappeared as desperate search continues
- Four prisoners gunned down and 11 more wounded after firearms and knives smuggled into Bolivian prison
- Rosetta's daring landing site announced
- Robin Thicke's attorney issues statement about his client's leaked deposition video
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Hillary Clinton's staff told to hide any documents that could make her inner circle look bad in aftermath of Benghazi, whistle-blower claims
- Adrian Peterson accused of 'abusing ANOTHER son while disciplining him'... as Minnesota Vikings player apologizes for severely whipping four-year-old boy
- Why President Obama's coffee preference is the White House's best kept secret
- How Apple made its iPhone 6 ion-strengthened screen: Expert reveals the chemical process used to create the display
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- American Bitcoin exchange CEO, 28, researched suicide methods before jumping from a Singapore highrise due to 'work and personal issues'
- Google unveils its first ultra-cheap Android One phones: £65 devices launch in India - with more regions to follow next year
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- California rescue dog enjoys snow for the first time in cute video
- Speed dating never ends well: Danica Patrick wrecks her boyfriend and fellow driver's car during NASCAR race collision
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Gunman on the run after killing one Pennsylvania state trooper and wounds another in 'cowardly' ambush attack
- The £14billion financial black hole in Alex Salmond's finance plan: Prominent think-tank issues stark warning over the 'huge risks in oil, pensions and tax' for an independent Scotland
'She is one SICK SHIP': Thousands of passengers stranded as so-called 'Pandemic Princess' cruise vessel is struck by yet ANOTHER problem... just days after hundreds of tourists catch virus causing vomiting and diarrhoea (0)
'Kids these days are wrapped in cotton wool': Physicist warns of 'biggest threat to our civilisation' as he reveals stunning childhood film footage featuring the sixties pioneers of adventure sports (0)