'Santa, if you have nuts, candy, or toys to spare, kindly send me some?' A child's humble Christmas wish list from 1915
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 14:48 EST, 9 December 2013 | UPDATED: 14:48 EST, 9 December 2013
Filled with modern gadgets and the latest toys, Christmas wish lists today are bursting with material items.
But a humble 98-year-old letter sent to Santa Claus proves that such extravagant expectations have not always been the norm.
In 1915, seven-year-old Homer Mellen from London, Ontario simply wanted a 'box of paints, a nine cent reader, and a school bag to put them in.'
A humble letter sent to Santa Claus in 1915 by seven-year-old Homer Mellen proves that extravagant Christmas wish lists have not always been the norm
Larry Mellen, 79, kept his father's modest wish list in order to 'put away for memories for grandchildren,' he told Good Morning America this morning.
'It says so much about the lack of appreciation for those things that truly are a special gift,' Mr Mellon explained, comparing his father's unassuming list to those of children today.
'We just take it for granted that you're going to have that stuff at Christmas time, or any other time for that matter.'
His father's letter to Santa Claus modestly continues: 'And if you have any nuts, or candy, or toys to spare, would you kindly send me some. You will please a seven year old boy.'
Homer's granddaughter, Laurie Bloomfield, 49, of Nova Scotia, is keeping the letter to share with her own grandchildren.
'I'm a teacher, so as teacher I get to hear a lot of kids' wishes,' she said. 'What I find with this generation is they want to talk a lot, they want to put out a lot of information. They have lots to say and want to tell it all.'
After one little girl's lavish list, which included '1,000 bucks', a puppy, a Razor scooter that 'lights up', 'All of the Beanie Babies' and 'A little thing that can turn into anything at anytime,' went viral last week, Ms Bloomfield said she wanted to share her grandfather's own wish list.
'We just take for granted that whatever we want out there we can have, and that isn't the case,' said Mr Mellen.
'When my father was young, to put your stocking up with care and knowing that you were going to get maybe an orange, that was the magic of Christmas.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Jody Byrd, 46, has been found guilty of killing his wife Desta Dodson-Byrd in 1999He was heard by witnesses to apologize while standing over his ...
- Kai the 'hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' who 'beat lawyer to death' is rushed to hospital with self-inflicted wounds after suicide attempt in jail
- Paul Walker's younger brother Cody starts to clear up late actor's belongings
- Authorities thwart suicide bombing 'by Islamic extremist flight technician who plotted to blow up Kansas airport'
- Montana teacher Stacey Rambold's 30-day jail term 'too lenient' says attorney general
- Mob Wives star accused of cheating arrives at court to support husband as he is jailed for seven years
- Texas woman stabbed her toddler son to death as others hid in the house
- Shocking moment gang of gun-toting Hells Angels turn up at father-to-be¿s Adelaide workplace and shoot him dead
- Michigan fan who held a sign saying 'Hi Lizzy Seeberg' - the name of girl who killed herself after reporting a Notre Dame player sexually assaulted her - in a grudge match between the two teams DEFENDS his actions
- End of their American dream: Photographer captures despair of illegal immigrants being deported after trying to start a new life
- Meet Mort Crim - Will Ferrell's inspiration for Anchorman's Ron Burgundy
- Youth golf coach Andrew Nisbet arrested for sexually abusing 'dozens of students'
- The Beatles' record company forced to release bootleg versions of 59 songs
- Charles Saatchi shouted at assistants and brought them to tears, court hears a
- Small-town Sissy: Cross-dressing family man fights against bigotry in the Cowboy State
- Rupert Murdoch dating massage therapist who travels with him
- Tom Cruise defends NOT attending Suri's first day of school in deposition
- Why Jackie Kennedy's blood-stained pink suit is being hidden from public view until 2103
- Google technology catches out man accused of uploading over 3,000 child porn images and he is arrested by the FBI
- Family rescued after 2 days huddled in jeep in Nevada snow
- Teen Alyssa Jo Lommel left passed out in snow may lose limbs
- Report: Tom Cruise is not dating Laura Prepon
- Jane Fonda hits back over claims her charitable foundation didn't donate a dime for five years
- Horrifying assault goes viral after Sharkeisha sucker-punches victim
- Korean model Hang Mioku Mangles her face by injecting it with cooking oil after doctors refused to do plastic surgery
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Dreaming of a white Christmas? Megyn Kelly called in sick day after 'Santa and Jesus are white men' controversy but returned to address critics tonight
- 'Embrace the holiday spirit': Company told irate customer she shouldn't expect 24-hour service as staff needed to enjoy run up to Christmas too
- President Obama nominates the first ever female 4-star Navy admiral
- Princeton dentist indicted in wife's murder two years after she was found dead beneath broken third-floor window
- Hero debate coach praised for trying to lead the Colorado high school shooter out of the building to avoid the disgruntled student from harming others
- College student responds to funny face in viral engagement photo
- Pictured: The couple crushed inside their home in Utah rock-slide
- 'I told them I loved them, I thought it was the last thing they would hear': Teacher who barricaded herself in Sandy Hook bathroom with 15 pupils recalls harrowing ordeal
- The scariest thing about North Korea's murderous boy tyrant? He's totally sane: He had a girlfriend machine gunned and this week executed his 'human scum' uncle. And no one believes he'll stop there
- Lady Gaga keeps her Christmas tree locks for photo-shoot with controversial snapper Terry Richardson