'Santa, if you have nuts, candy, or toys to spare, kindly send me some?' A child's humble Christmas wish list from 1915
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 14:48 EST, 9 December 2013 | UPDATED: 14:48 EST, 9 December 2013
Filled with modern gadgets and the latest toys, Christmas wish lists today are bursting with material items.
But a humble 98-year-old letter sent to Santa Claus proves that such extravagant expectations have not always been the norm.
In 1915, seven-year-old Homer Mellen from London, Ontario simply wanted a 'box of paints, a nine cent reader, and a school bag to put them in.'
A humble letter sent to Santa Claus in 1915 by seven-year-old Homer Mellen proves that extravagant Christmas wish lists have not always been the norm
Larry Mellen, 79, kept his father's modest wish list in order to 'put away for memories for grandchildren,' he told Good Morning America this morning.
'It says so much about the lack of appreciation for those things that truly are a special gift,' Mr Mellon explained, comparing his father's unassuming list to those of children today.
'We just take it for granted that you're going to have that stuff at Christmas time, or any other time for that matter.'
His father's letter to Santa Claus modestly continues: 'And if you have any nuts, or candy, or toys to spare, would you kindly send me some. You will please a seven year old boy.'
Homer's granddaughter, Laurie Bloomfield, 49, of Nova Scotia, is keeping the letter to share with her own grandchildren.
'I'm a teacher, so as teacher I get to hear a lot of kids' wishes,' she said. 'What I find with this generation is they want to talk a lot, they want to put out a lot of information. They have lots to say and want to tell it all.'
After one little girl's lavish list, which included '1,000 bucks', a puppy, a Razor scooter that 'lights up', 'All of the Beanie Babies' and 'A little thing that can turn into anything at anytime,' went viral last week, Ms Bloomfield said she wanted to share her grandfather's own wish list.
'We just take for granted that whatever we want out there we can have, and that isn't the case,' said Mr Mellen.
'When my father was young, to put your stocking up with care and knowing that you were going to get maybe an orange, that was the magic of Christmas.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- QVC queen Lisa Robertson lives in fear after having FOUR stalkers
- 'Clerical error' allowed convicted Cornealious 'Mike' Anderson to walk free
- Russian factory workers filmed bathing NAKED in milk used to make cheese
- Pueblo city councilman: Council illegally discussed public policy behind closed doors
- How can Chanel charge £2,100 for a bag a child can make for £7?
- Stunned boyfriend of Utah 'baby-killing' mom says he had 'no idea' about six murdered newborns
- LAX to the MAX: UPenn women's lacrosse team accused of trashing Philadelphia pub, smoking drugs and exposing their private parts to cheers from the bar
- Slideshow: Photographs related to the investigation into Ashley Fallis’ death
- Scientists develop 'Star Trek' scanner that can detect cancer, HIV and other killer diseases in minutes
- Investigation into suicide of mother, 28, reopened after family believe her police officer husband shot her dead before covering up crime
- Nashville mother charged with daughter's murder 'for failing to stop abuse'
- Flower girl, 4, who took her first steps - thanks to a harness attached to her dad
- Man accused of killing wife appointed public defender, held without bond
- National Geographic reveals 50 tours of a lifetime (and Scotland is the only entry for UK)
- South Korea ferry disaster passengers' relatives pelt prime minister with water bottle
- 'It's ridiculous!': Two cars fall into hidden Detroit sinkhole within moments of each other
- JET THRUSTERS help British snowboarder Jamie Barrow set world record
- BLM backs down in dispute over Nevada rancher’s cattle
- Homeless mom arrested for leaving kids in car during job interview
- Duchess of Cambridge Kate wears blue coat dress at wreath-laying ceremony in New Zealand
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- She's lovin' it! The shocking moment a crazed topless woman DESTROYS a McDonald's before pausing to enjoy an ice cream cone
- Fire burns near railroad tracks in Longmont
- Barack Obama admits he pledged to get matching tattoos with daughters
- Texas state champion wrestler Dammion Heard found dead 'in apparent suicide'
- 'Perhaps there are some unconventional ways to lure me away from my company (besides stock options): The incredibly sexist email a man headhunted by female CEO sent, hinting he'd only join her company in exchange for sexual favors
- Surveillance shows burglar looking over Thinh Le's baby boy
- Flight instructor Mitchell Casado featured in CNN's MH370 coverage fired from job for alleged tardiness and 'shaming Canadians' for dressing like a teenager
- Steve Jobs was 'disappointed at Apple's share price fall after cancer diagnosis'
- China seizes huge cache of illegal weapons including 10,500 guns and 120,000 knives and SWORDS
- MH370 'flight-deck fire' similar to one that broke out on same Boeing model
- Bamboo WarkaWater 'flower basket' can pluck drinking water from thin air
- 'Pull up your pants or be proud to be a f@%': Southern store owner posts sign with a homophobic slur to deter customers from wearing baggy pants
- Dutch teen is ARRESTED in Rotterdam after tweeting 'joke' bomb threat to American Airlines
- Pam and Cheryl flipped their Studebaker into a flooded ditch in 1971, drowned and lay undiscovered for more than 40 YEARS, investigators announce
- Police arrest suspect acting suspiciously near Kate and William
- South Korean ferry children sent text messages moments before it sank
- How job listings with 'female-repellent' words like 'aggressive' and 'analytical' discourage women from applying
- Pope Francis warns Christians Satan is trying to tempt you
- Parrot put on Prozac after being left in garage for three years for repeating name of owner's dead wife
- Support overwhelms family after Ashley Fallis death investigation reopened
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- Inventor spends millions on RV to take his four year old around the world
- Man accused of murdering wife due in court Wednesday morning
- Revealed: Masked al-Qaeda fighter who was described as 'Arsenal football player' is believed to be Portuguese citizen who may have attended coaching sessions at the club
- Wild swing: Watch hellraiser John Daly hit a golf ball out of a model's MOUTH (who happens to be his wife's best friend)
- 'Her moaning was that of a wounded animal': Couple 'starved a blind orphan with cerebral palsy and let her sit in filthy wheelchair as her teeth rotted away while living off her Medicaid payments'
- Oregon man left owing $69K after 'IRS agent seduced him' wants to sue GOVERNMENT
- Cronut's Dominique Ansel Bakery reopens after mouse infestation