'Santa, if you have nuts, candy, or toys to spare, kindly send me some?' A child's humble Christmas wish list from 1915
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 14:48 EST, 9 December 2013 | UPDATED: 14:48 EST, 9 December 2013
Filled with modern gadgets and the latest toys, Christmas wish lists today are bursting with material items.
But a humble 98-year-old letter sent to Santa Claus proves that such extravagant expectations have not always been the norm.
In 1915, seven-year-old Homer Mellen from London, Ontario simply wanted a 'box of paints, a nine cent reader, and a school bag to put them in.'
A humble letter sent to Santa Claus in 1915 by seven-year-old Homer Mellen proves that extravagant Christmas wish lists have not always been the norm
Larry Mellen, 79, kept his father's modest wish list in order to 'put away for memories for grandchildren,' he told Good Morning America this morning.
'It says so much about the lack of appreciation for those things that truly are a special gift,' Mr Mellon explained, comparing his father's unassuming list to those of children today.
'We just take it for granted that you're going to have that stuff at Christmas time, or any other time for that matter.'
His father's letter to Santa Claus modestly continues: 'And if you have any nuts, or candy, or toys to spare, would you kindly send me some. You will please a seven year old boy.'
Homer's granddaughter, Laurie Bloomfield, 49, of Nova Scotia, is keeping the letter to share with her own grandchildren.
'I'm a teacher, so as teacher I get to hear a lot of kids' wishes,' she said. 'What I find with this generation is they want to talk a lot, they want to put out a lot of information. They have lots to say and want to tell it all.'
After one little girl's lavish list, which included '1,000 bucks', a puppy, a Razor scooter that 'lights up', 'All of the Beanie Babies' and 'A little thing that can turn into anything at anytime,' went viral last week, Ms Bloomfield said she wanted to share her grandfather's own wish list.
'We just take for granted that whatever we want out there we can have, and that isn't the case,' said Mr Mellen.
'When my father was young, to put your stocking up with care and knowing that you were going to get maybe an orange, that was the magic of Christmas.'
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Champions League star reportedly sent plane for Soraja Vucelic Brought her to visit him in the Spanish city of BarcelonaPair met in Ibiza and reportedly ...
- Chelsea Handler makes a political statement TOPLESS mocking Vladimir Putin ...but is angered after Instagram remove the photo
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- GMA triumphs in Halloween morning show costume war: Prince George and George Clooney lead GMA's celebrity impersonations
- Woman, 31, 'breaks into the home of her husband's friend in a night gown, strips off and sexually assaults him while he sleeps'
- Amazing aerial photos show river of lava on the verge of splitting Hawaiian town in two
- NYPD officer Alberto Randazzo indicted for 'plotting to molest baby'
- Giant drill bit narrowly avoids ripping into packed New York subway train
- Derek Ward who beheaded his mother and kicked it along New York street pictured
- Hong Kong photos taken in 1860s by photographer John Thompson sell for £50k
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Fury as military base family decorates front yard with effigies of African-Americans being lynched in sick Halloween display
- New York sexual harassment 'Catcalling video' director denies editing out white men
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- 'I'm free at last!' Viral video shows the moment a man, 54, makes his last alimony payment to his wife
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Chelsea Handler poses as topless Vladimir Putin, Instagram removes photo
- Teen, 17, viciously beaten for being gay after so-called friend lured him to skate park
- Chris Christie shouts down heckler at Hurricane Sandy event
- Google to pay Canadian woman for showing her cleavage on Street View
- Russell Brand's film company received cash injection from city bankers
- SodaStream factory in the West Bank that put Scarlett Johansson in hot water will close
- 310-pound, 6ft student dressed as yellow Teletubby breaks into a friend's college apartment and steals Chinese food
- Ex-Marine banned from daughter's school after threatening to 'bring down a s*** storm' over Islam homework
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- How real-life Wolf of Wall Street went on 'Las Vegas drug fest with hookers, cuddled his toddler after bad ketamine trip and snorted heroin and cocaine via NASAL spray': Wife at center of foursome divorce details her husband's debauchery
- Halloween mirror gives cinemagoers a fright as it transforms them into monsters
- Hillary REPEATEDLY heckled at Maryland campaign stop
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- No hope of Sri Lankan mudslide survivors, say rescuers
- Bionic boots mimic ostrich's gait to let wearers travel at up to 25mph
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Kisses and cuddles for her beautiful baby: Watch proud mother gorilla bond with her tiny new arrival
- Roman Polanski is questioned but FREED in Poland for raping girl in Jack Nicholson's jacuzzi
- ISIS plotting to kill Western civilians with EBOLA and poisoned needles
- Bentley's going home! Nurse Nina Pham's dog tests negative for Ebola a third time and is set to leave quarantine on Saturday
- Apple CEO Tim Cook 'should be banned' from Russia says Vitaly Milonov
- Esa releases new images of cliffs, dust dunes and boulders on Rosetta's surface
- Palestinian leader attacks Israel over closure of disputed holy site
- Boston bomber's daughter and widow pictured out in New Jersey
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Meet the woman who was blind from the age of 11... but got her sight back when she hit her head on a COFFEE TABLE
- American couple convicted of child endangerment in Qatar say they were wrongfully accused of killing their daughter 'because of a mixed-race adoption'
- Topshop slammed for use of skinny legged mannequin
- Dozens of guests at NAACP banquet fall ill after dining on salmon and salad in San Francisco hotel
- Should we add ARSENIC to tap water to cut breast cancer deaths? Study links 'toxic' chemical to 50% drop in mortality
How real-life Wolf of Wall Street went on 'Las Vegas drug fest with hookers, cuddled his toddler after bad ketamine trip and snorted heroin and cocaine via NASAL spray': Wife at center of foursome divorce details her husband's debauchery (0)