Radioactive waste that could be used to make dirty bomb stolen from hospital truck
- Thieves drive off with van delivering toxic substance to waste facility
- Cobalt-60 from old hospital equipment can be used in weapons
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 08:44 EST, 4 December 2013 | UPDATED: 08:53 EST, 4 December 2013
A truck carrying radioactive material for medical treatment, which could be used in a dirty bomb, has been stolen in Mexico, the UN nuclear watchdog said.
Details of how much cobalt-60 - a radioactive source - was on the truck when it was stolen on Monday has not been released by the International Atomic Energy Agency.
The material could potentially be used to make a dirty bomb, where traditional explosives are used to spread radiation.
Stolen: A container of cobalt-60, similar to this one, has gone missing in Mexico
Mexican authorities told the IAEA that the truck, which had been delivering the toxic substance from a Tijuana hospital to a radioactive storage facility, was taken in Tepojaco, near Mexico City.
The white van delivering it was taken from a gas station as the driver stopped to refuel.
'At the time the truck was stolen, the [radioactive] source was properly shielded. However, the source could be extremely dangerous to a person if removed from the shielding, or if it was damaged,' the IAEA statement said.
The agency has offered to help Mexican authorities, who it said were searching for the material and had alerted the public.
More than 100 incidents of thefts and other unauthorized activities involving nuclear and radioactive material are reported to the IAEA annually, the UN agency said earlier this year.
Because radioactive material is regarded as less hard to find and the device easier to manufacture, experts say a so-called 'dirty bomb' is a more likely threat than a nuclear bomb in any attack by militants.
Toxic: The decommissioned medical equipment, like the box above, is safe as long as no one tampers with it
Risk: Radioactive material used in hospitals, such as cobalt-60, could be turned into a dirty bomb
Experts describe the threat of a crude fissile nuclear bomb, which is technically difficult to manufacture and requires hard-to-obtain bomb-grade uranium or plutonium, as a 'low probability, high consequence act' - unlikely but with the potential to cause large-scale harm to life and property.
But a dirty bomb is seen as a 'high probability, low consequence act' with more potential to terrorize than cause large loss of life.
At a nuclear security summit last year, IAEA director-general Yukiya Amano specifically singled out cobalt-60 among radioactive sources that could be used for such bombs.
'These materials, such as cobalt-60, could be used along with conventional explosives to make so-called dirty bombs. A dirty bomb detonated in a major city could cause mass panic, as well as serious economic and environmental consequences,' Mr Amano said, according to a copy of his speech.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Woman on death row for killing 'man who tried to rape her' will be hanged at dawn: Mother called to Iranian prison to see her daughter for last time
Reyhaneh Jabbari, 26, was sentenced to death in 2009 by an Iranian courtShe was found guilty of murdering a government intelligence operative Her mother Shole Pakravan ...
- Honey Boo Boo shock claim that Mama June's now adult daughter was victim of child molester
- 'But I paid so much money!': Woman drugged after wisdom teeth surgery is devastated that she hasn't woken up looking like Nicki Minaj... and isn't friends with Ellen DeGeneres
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- HIV postitive sex offender 'raped a teen, 14, and two-year-old infecting them both'
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Thief who stole a $4 packet of cigarettes is smoked out after police in Florida use patrol units, dogs and even their helicopter to catch the teenager tearaway
- Brother and sister of Jennifer Laude allegedly murdered by US soldier storm Philippine military base
- Google's Alan Eustace secretly breaks highest parachute jump record
- Mama June seen for the first time since daughter Anna Cardwell confirmed she was victim of mother's sex offender boyfriend
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- New York Ebola doctor's fiancee and TWO friends quarantined amid fears he gave them deadly virus: Potential victims in isolation - and there could be more after medic spent SEVEN days riding the subway, bowling and traveling in Uber taxis
- Hazmat crews sterilize New York Ebola doctor's apartment as it's revealed he ate at MEATBALL SHOP on his criss-crossing route across the city
- He's superman!: Town celebrates Halloween, Christmas, and a birthday early for a four-year-old boy with terminal cancer and just days left to live
- A daily wine or beer is good for your memory and better than being teetoal
- Melissa Rivers to inherit $100M in cash and assets from Joan Rivers
- One man and his Harley: Brad Bakelar of Reno rides his motorcycle with his companion, Moki, a five-year-old Goldendoodle
- 'You are so loved': Lawyer who was with Corporal Nathan Cirillo in his final moments describes the support and aide he received from complete strangers desperate to save his life
- The D'oh! Nut: Burger joint pays homage to Homer Simpson
- Decorated soldier who fought in 'Black Hawk Down' battle in Somalia dies at 52
- Revenge porn victim, Folami Prehaya, breaks anonymity in bid to help others
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Black flag of ISIS flies over Kobane streets away from Kurdish stronghold
- Blitzing the black flag of ISIS: Extraordinary moment massive US airstrike obliterated jihadis' emblem flying on hill above Kobane (while a lone sentry stands his ground)
- Kevin Charles Brown committed suicide after interviewed over Claire Hough murder
- Bikini-top of the charts!: Video of a singer struggling to keep a puppy from pulling off her bathing suit has over TWO MILLION views...but her music video only has a few thousand
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Chewbacca and Where's Wally break up Mr Incredible and Batgirl brawl in LA video
- Disney's Frozen T-shirt shows Elsa 'encouraging children to swear' say parents
- British tourist Stuart Gravenell savaged by ape during visit to Gibraltar
- Highest Ice Age human camp discovered in Peruvian Andes
- Was it a terror attack? Police probe extremist links as online rants of New York hatchet attacker emerge after he was shot dead in attack on group of cops in Queens
- Man, 85, is 'tied up for 20 HOURS and robbed' after wining and dining 17-year-old twin sisters he met on a sugar daddy dating site
- Five-year-old son testifies against his father, Michael Lawrence, who is found guilty of murder in the death of girlfriend Angelica Olivarez who was on the run following the fatal drive-by shooting of a six-year-old girl
- He's lionised by the BBC and The Guardian as a political seer. The truth, says STEPHEN GLOVER, is that Russell Brand is a ludicrous charlatan
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Why one Aurora victim's boyfriend proposed with a heartrending trailer in a movie theater two years after she was shot during Batman screening
- Pakistan to bring in anti-cannibalism law after brothers dug up corpses for curry
- Campaign shows what you would look like after 20 years of smoking
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Inside China's top secret nuclear bunker built under a mountain
- Kayelisa Martin smothered her baby then held body in her arms as she gave police a statement
- Kristen Stewart to take a break from acting
- 4,000-year-old Phaistos Disk 'stores' a spiral-shaped prayer to a mother, expert claims