Radioactive waste that could be used to make dirty bomb stolen from hospital truck
- Thieves drive off with van delivering toxic substance to waste facility
- Cobalt-60 from old hospital equipment can be used in weapons
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 08:44 EST, 4 December 2013 | UPDATED: 08:53 EST, 4 December 2013
A truck carrying radioactive material for medical treatment, which could be used in a dirty bomb, has been stolen in Mexico, the UN nuclear watchdog said.
Details of how much cobalt-60 - a radioactive source - was on the truck when it was stolen on Monday has not been released by the International Atomic Energy Agency.
The material could potentially be used to make a dirty bomb, where traditional explosives are used to spread radiation.
Stolen: A container of cobalt-60, similar to this one, has gone missing in Mexico
Mexican authorities told the IAEA that the truck, which had been delivering the toxic substance from a Tijuana hospital to a radioactive storage facility, was taken in Tepojaco, near Mexico City.
The white van delivering it was taken from a gas station as the driver stopped to refuel.
'At the time the truck was stolen, the [radioactive] source was properly shielded. However, the source could be extremely dangerous to a person if removed from the shielding, or if it was damaged,' the IAEA statement said.
The agency has offered to help Mexican authorities, who it said were searching for the material and had alerted the public.
More than 100 incidents of thefts and other unauthorized activities involving nuclear and radioactive material are reported to the IAEA annually, the UN agency said earlier this year.
Because radioactive material is regarded as less hard to find and the device easier to manufacture, experts say a so-called 'dirty bomb' is a more likely threat than a nuclear bomb in any attack by militants.
Toxic: The decommissioned medical equipment, like the box above, is safe as long as no one tampers with it
Risk: Radioactive material used in hospitals, such as cobalt-60, could be turned into a dirty bomb
Experts describe the threat of a crude fissile nuclear bomb, which is technically difficult to manufacture and requires hard-to-obtain bomb-grade uranium or plutonium, as a 'low probability, high consequence act' - unlikely but with the potential to cause large-scale harm to life and property.
But a dirty bomb is seen as a 'high probability, low consequence act' with more potential to terrorize than cause large loss of life.
At a nuclear security summit last year, IAEA director-general Yukiya Amano specifically singled out cobalt-60 among radioactive sources that could be used for such bombs.
'These materials, such as cobalt-60, could be used along with conventional explosives to make so-called dirty bombs. A dirty bomb detonated in a major city could cause mass panic, as well as serious economic and environmental consequences,' Mr Amano said, according to a copy of his speech.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Surfer's worst nightmare: Drone footage captures a massive shark circling paddle boarders in the water as it chases school of fish
Footage was shot at Killcare Beach on the NSW Central Coast on FridayDrone pilot Tom Caska captured the moment a great white started following a ...
- Jasmine Tridevil adds third breast in bid to become reality TV star
- Tragedy as father-of-two dies after being hit in the head by baseball during warm up for 12-year-old son's Little League game
- Climate change protesters who marched through Manhattan are branded hypocrites for leaving litter strewn across the city
- Andrew J Marsico 'raped woman in his office after inviting her for a job interview at 10pm'
- Pictured: The two men who 'breached White House security one after the other' - an Iraq vet with PTSD who 'jumped the fence with a knife', and a 19-year-old college student
- Fury over NY Times critic who called 'Scandal' and 'Grey's Anatomy' creator Shonda Rhimes an 'angry black woman'
- Forget Tinder, Cuddlr app matches people who want 'no-pressure intimacy'
- 'Leaked by some vultures': Gabrielle Union SLAMS hackers and admits she is the latest victim in new wave of nude celebrity photos posted online
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- It can't be too far off! VERY pregnant Chelsea Clinton appears at star-studded gala as dad Bill reveals October 1 due date
- Wanted poster for Hannah Graham suspect is issued
- Pirouetting palace sentry Samuel Holmes facing three weeks in military jail for YouTube antics is unmasked
- Gangsters shot dead boy, 9, who had stormed out of his home in a fight over a cupcake because they thought he was working for their rivals
- CBS executive's wife Jill Tarlov dies days after collision with cyclist in Central Park
- Melanie Griffith displays her very slender frame in black leggings as she jets into LAX with daughter Stella after whirlwind NY trip
- Beverley Hills mansion with 16-car garage, vodka bar, home cinema and its own candy wall goes on sale for staggering $85MILLION
- Woman accused of breaking into Tennessee elementary school cafeteria in her underwear and wielding baseball bat while screaming
- 'I was in too much shock to scream': Australian tourist, 21, who was shot in the face in New Orleans is trying to raise $135,000 to reconstruct her face... because her travel insurance won't cover the costs
- Afghan soldiers visiting U.S. vanish from Cape Cod Mall in Hyannis
- 49ers player Colin Kaepernick is being fined $11,000 for allegedly calling Chicago Bears player Lamarr Houston the 'N word' even though BOTH PLAYERS deny any racial slurs were uttered
- William Lopez who wrongly served 23 years dies from ashthma attack
- Rescuers pull hiker from Idaho mountain after she was pinned under 2-TON boulder
- Robert F Kennedy Jr loses his cool and grabs mic from reporter pushing him about his own carbon footprint
- 'World's sexiest criminal' Stéphanie Boudoin charged with 114 COUNTS
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Fifth 'armed and dangerous' inmate who broke out of California jail is captured and put back in custody 24 hours after four other escapees were apprehended
- Harry Potter star Emma Watson says she has experienced sexism since age eight in speech as UN Goodwill Ambassador for Women
- Kelly Brook's breasts are scientifically perfect, says top plastic surgeon
- Bride to be killed in car crash and fiance injured on way back from pre-marriage counselling session
- Jennifer Aniston, the Duchess of Cambridge and... Margaret Thatcher! The most popular hairstyles ever created (and the women who wore them) revealed
- Barbara Walters bumped from The View? ABC 'refused to let show's co-creator appear live in premier of new line-up'
- E-cigarettes DON'T help cancer patients stop smoking 'because they become more nicotine dependent'
- Graduate map shows huge increase in US adults going to college and getting a degree since 1970... even though tuition has risen by 400%
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Miracle survival of baby washed 200ft and buried in mud by floodwater that tore down bedroom wall
- Coffee that tastes like BEER? Starbucks tests the new non-alcoholic Dark Barrel Latte designed to taste like Guinness
- Mother's heart-breaking blog on bringing up a child with HIV becomes internet sensation
- Senator Mary Landrieu helps college kids do keg stands at ball game
- Seven-month-old baby girl orphaned after parents found dead in suspected murder-suicide
- Is this British grandmother the real Queen of Denmark? Woman claims to be the secret great grandchild of 'childless' Frederik VII and his ballerina wife
- Hitler's grand designs for a giant Nazi city revealed in Berlin exhibition
- Garnett Spears 'who died from salt overdose' was treated as a baby but 'no one reported it as possible abuse'
- Testosterone-fuelled elephant fights black rhino as she protects her calf
- Apollos Hesters' motivational speech could teach NFL stars a thing or two
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Into the deep! Rare 350kg colossal squid found in the Antarctic is defrosted and examined by scientists for the first time
- Paula Deen to appear on 'Today' and 'The Chew' this week
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Person of interest' in hunt for missing Hannah Graham is a nursing assistant claims he did NOT drive off with her in his car...as ONE THOUSAND volunteers search for her
Empty morgues, abandoned wards and corridors overrun with ivy: Inside the deserted Maryland tuberculosis sanatorium where children with the deadly infection were left isolated... and some say it's haunted (0)