Radioactive waste that could be used to make dirty bomb stolen from hospital truck
- Thieves drive off with van delivering toxic substance to waste facility
- Cobalt-60 from old hospital equipment can be used in weapons
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 08:44 EST, 4 December 2013 | UPDATED: 08:53 EST, 4 December 2013
A truck carrying radioactive material for medical treatment, which could be used in a dirty bomb, has been stolen in Mexico, the UN nuclear watchdog said.
Details of how much cobalt-60 - a radioactive source - was on the truck when it was stolen on Monday has not been released by the International Atomic Energy Agency.
The material could potentially be used to make a dirty bomb, where traditional explosives are used to spread radiation.
Stolen: A container of cobalt-60, similar to this one, has gone missing in Mexico
Mexican authorities told the IAEA that the truck, which had been delivering the toxic substance from a Tijuana hospital to a radioactive storage facility, was taken in Tepojaco, near Mexico City.
The white van delivering it was taken from a gas station as the driver stopped to refuel.
'At the time the truck was stolen, the [radioactive] source was properly shielded. However, the source could be extremely dangerous to a person if removed from the shielding, or if it was damaged,' the IAEA statement said.
The agency has offered to help Mexican authorities, who it said were searching for the material and had alerted the public.
More than 100 incidents of thefts and other unauthorized activities involving nuclear and radioactive material are reported to the IAEA annually, the UN agency said earlier this year.
Because radioactive material is regarded as less hard to find and the device easier to manufacture, experts say a so-called 'dirty bomb' is a more likely threat than a nuclear bomb in any attack by militants.
Toxic: The decommissioned medical equipment, like the box above, is safe as long as no one tampers with it
Risk: Radioactive material used in hospitals, such as cobalt-60, could be turned into a dirty bomb
Experts describe the threat of a crude fissile nuclear bomb, which is technically difficult to manufacture and requires hard-to-obtain bomb-grade uranium or plutonium, as a 'low probability, high consequence act' - unlikely but with the potential to cause large-scale harm to life and property.
But a dirty bomb is seen as a 'high probability, low consequence act' with more potential to terrorize than cause large loss of life.
At a nuclear security summit last year, IAEA director-general Yukiya Amano specifically singled out cobalt-60 among radioactive sources that could be used for such bombs.
'These materials, such as cobalt-60, could be used along with conventional explosives to make so-called dirty bombs. A dirty bomb detonated in a major city could cause mass panic, as well as serious economic and environmental consequences,' Mr Amano said, according to a copy of his speech.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Distributor Constellation Brands issued the voluntary recall last week Quality control noticed certain glass bottles chipped on the inside Recall only affects Corona Extra bottles ...
- Miss Texas' first pitch soars briefly before rolling toward the home plate
- Siberian twerkers become internet sensation with 30 MILLION watching dance video
- Was he killed for his skateboard? Powerful memorial for man, 22, who was fatally stabbed in Los Angeles park over his board
- Moment subway rider was charged and attacked by giant rat on platform
- Robin Williams was addicted to 'tooth-rotting sentimentality', says Barry Norman: Film critic sparks anger among fans with his 'honest tribute'
- Bride-to-be's fiance FAKED HIS OWN DEATH to get out of wedding
- Man who was worked at same light fixtures store since 1941 turns 101 ... and refuses to retire
- Patient at Sacramento hospital is tested for Ebola
- Germany Ebola scare as Nigerian woman showing symptoms forces 600 into quarantine
- Man in Black helps bring in the green! Johnny Cash lives up to his name as country legend's boyhood poverty colony home becomes tourist draw
- Jack Nicholson steps out with lookalike son Ray in rare outing
- Taylor Swift announces plans for her first 'official' pop music album
- 'Human Barbie' Lolita Richi from Ukraine is just 16 and claims she's had no surgery
- Trayvon Martin's mother writes letter of support to Michael Brown's parents
- Sunk Second World War cruiser USS Houston finally found in Java sea
- Woman arrested for attacking legislator's wife 'after becoming obsessed with their family and breaking into their home'
- Video shows cop who shot Michael Brown pacing beside his lifeless body immediately after firing six shots at teen
- Jennifer Hudson's brother held in jail after 'repeatedly stabbing love rival in the face in front of wife'
- Gabriel Fernandez, 8, 'made to eat vomit before being beaten to death'
- Brad Parker, 36, plunges to his death as he rock climbs in Yosemite
- Pregnant wife of marine 'killed by her lover' was delighted to be having a baby after previous miscarriage as it emerges that 'murderer' had searched online about how to dispose of a body
- 'I'm worried sick.' Friend of missing New York fashion model says boyfriend revealed the 6'1" 110-pound Ataui Deng, 'just wanted to get away,' but mysteriously left her cell phone at home
- Johnny Manziel flips the bird against the Washington Redskins in NFL preseason game
- 'Heads up high:' Little League coach delivers heartwarming pep talk to his teary-eyed young players after close defeat in World Series
- Chevrolet adds valet snooping function to record while car is being parked
- Terms of Service
- Young girl falls to her death hiking in Yellowstone with her family
- Man poses for mugshot wearing t-shirt with previous arrest mugshot
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- La DRUNKEN Vita: Australian tourist plunges into Rome's famous fountain and is chased by police in an embarrassing video tribute
- Actress who played Robin Williams' daughter in Mrs Doubtfire writes heartfelt memorial for her on-screen dad
- All-black 'Outcast MC' biker club patrolling the streets of Ferguson in a bid to help keep the peace after nine nights of unrest
- Three of six child hostages freed in standoff in Chicago suburb
- 'American bombing had signed my death certificate': Missing US journalist James Wright Foley goes unflinching to his death as ISIS behead him in horrific video, as a warning to Obama
- Drunk driver did not deserve 'execution' at hands of David Barajas
- Woman wakes up to find semi-naked Vietnamese actor, 29, in her bed
- Aziz Ansari dating pastry chef Courtney McBroom
- Inside the world's most expensive apartment: Penthouse in Monaco's new Odeon Tower complete with water slide, private chauffeur and caterer will set back potential owner £240MILLION
- Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2014 shortlist announced
- 'We're moving around the block': How Tehran has come up with ultimate space-saving feature - MOVEABLE rooms. And it's all at a push of a button
- Egypt urges U.S. authorities to 'exercise restraint' in dealing with Missouri riots
- College drop out, 20, found guilty of strangling to death 19-year-old ex-girlfriend with a climbing rope
- 'Unbelievable': Astronaut captures incredible images of aurora over Earth from the International Space Station
- How NOT to accept the ALS ice bucket challenge
- Jesus Chrysler! Instagram photographer, 17, risks his life climbing bridges and scaling skyscrapers all to take the perfect snapshot
- JFK and Harold Macmillan's bizarre friendship revealed in new book
- Otters spotted going through their paces with some synchronised exercise
EXCLUSIVE: 'Do not be fooled into believing his wife' Casey Kasem's daughter writes scathing open letter slamming her step mother for 'abandoning' beloved DJ and begging Norway to reject plan to bury him there (0)