Natalie Perriello murder: Husband pleads guilty to gunning down his teacher wife in front of their son, 3, after he found out she was having affair with 20-year-old former student
- Natalie Perriello, 42, was found lying in a pool of blood after being shot six times
- James Perriello told 911 dispatcher he lost his cool after learning his wife was having an affair
- Teacher struck up relationship with a man who used to be her elementary school student
- Murder took place in couple's home where their four children slept, including 3-year-old who was lying in bed next to his mother
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 21:33 EST, 3 December 2013 | UPDATED: 21:57 EST, 3 December 2013
A New Hampshire man admitted in court today that he shot dead his wife just inches away from their toddler son in a fit of rage after learning she had unfaithful to him.
James Perriello, 42, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the 2012 slaying of Natalie Perriello, a popular teacher at Lebanon High School and a finalist for the state’s teacher of the year competition.
Mrs Perriello, a mother of four, was discovered shot multiple times inside the couple’s home on April 26, 2012. Her husband said he had secretly taped her and discovered her affair with a former student, who was 20 years old at the time.
Confession: James Perriello (left) told a judge that he gunned down his wife, Natalie Perriello (right), in front of their 3-year-old son in a spasm of anger after learning she was having an affair
Grisly scene: Mrs Perriello was found lying in a pool of blood inside her New Hampshire home after being shot six times in front of her 3-year-old son
In court Tuesday, James Perriello said he was ‘very angry’ the night he killed his wife, and he told Judge Brian Tucker he was ‘very sorry’ for what he had done.
As he spoke in court, Natalie Perriello’s brother, Bob LaFlam Jr., stared at him.
‘I just couldn’t believe…what he did to those kids,’ LaFlam said after Perriello pleaded guilty.
James Perriello’s parents declined to comment. The couple’s four children, ages 3 to 12 at the time of the shooting, are being raised by Natalie Perriello’s mother.
Prosecutors will ask for 35 years to life in prison when he is sentenced December 18, while Perriello’s lawyer, Kimberly Cossick, will seek 18 to 36 years in prison.
The Perriellos had a turbulent relationship for years, but their marital problems took a turn for the worse after the birth of their fourth child, according to court records.
They had separated several months before the shooting but eventually returned home, sleeping in separate bedrooms.
They went to a marriage counselor on the day of the shooting. Police said on the night of the murder, Perriello continued confronting his wife about what he had heard on the recording.
Police learned through the tape that Natalie Perriello, 42, and her 20-year-old former student Joshua Towle ‘were affectionate toward one another and had initiated a relationship.’
Dangerous liaison: Natalie struck up a relationship with her former student, 20-year-old Josh Towle (left) just months before the shooting, and on the night of her death she came clean to her husband about the affair
Perriello also told police he had been monitoring his wife’s email, social media sites and text messages.
The husband initially told police he went back into the bedroom with a gun to scare his wife and that it accidentally went off when she tried to grab it. He claimed the gun had a hair-trigger but a police expert testified it fired normally.
The first bullet struck Natalie’s ring finger as she tried to grab for the gun. After Perriello shot her once in the head at close range, he fired five more times before letting her lifeless body drop to the floor, Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin said.
One bullet was lodged in the window frame above where the 3-year-old lay next to his mother.
Just days before the shooting, Perriello told several co-workers at a construction site that he believed his wife was having an affair and said at least three times that he ‘ought to just kill’ her, Strelzin told the judge.
Crime of passion: Perriello said he was 'very angry' the night he killed his wife, and he told Judge Brian Tucker he was 'very sorry' for what he had done
According to New Hampshire Union Leader, Towle had been Perriello’s student at Canaan Elementary School, where she had taught for 15 years before becoming a technology teacher at Lebanon High School.
The two reconnected via Facebook and text messages last year while Towle was living in California, and their relationship turned physical when the 20-year-old returned to New Hampshire just days before Perriello’s killing.
Perriello said his wife told him she had fallen out of love with him, according to police testimony at a preliminary hearing last year.
‘My wife was having an affair and I just lost my cool,’ police said Perriello told a 911 dispatcher on the night of the killing.
A responding officer found the body of the 42-year-old mother of four lying in a pool of blood on the bedroom floor.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Pictured in his final moments: Canadian reservist soldier and father Nathan Cirillo, 24, photographed SECONDS before he was shot dead by Michael Zehaf-Bibeau
A tourist snapped what is likely the last photo of Cirillo taken before the horrific act of terrorCorporal Cirillo was was gunned down as he stood ...
- 'You are so loved': Lawyer who was with Corporal Nathan Cirillo in his final moments describes the support and aide he received from complete strangers desperate to save his life
- Should that go there? Officers marking off Ebola patient's NYC apartment toss their gloves, masks and caution tape in PUBLIC trash can on city sidewalk after they leave
- Decorated soldier who fought in 'Black Hawk Down' battle in Somalia dies at 52
- One man and his Harley: Brad Bakelar of Reno rides his motorcycle with his companion, Moki, a five-year-old Goldendoodle
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- The Halloween light show that is perfectly synced to Bohemian Rhapsody
- Autopsy shows black teenager gunned down by off-duty police officer in St Louis was shot six times in the back - as family attorney says it PROVES he was running away
- Man missing 9 years found dead in car in Ohio pond
- Miracle surgery saves all four of expecting mom's quadruplets after fears they were losing blood and she could give birth at just 19 weeks
- Could you last the night in McKamey Manor HORROR HOUSE? Nobody has yet
- Vicious Japanese man becomes the first person in the world to get prison time for printing 3D guns
- Twitter erupts with angry rants, confused questions and cynical humor as New York tries to make sense of why Ebola doctor went bowling while knowingly at risk
- David Mohney shot dead children when the mother asked him for a divorce
- Texas hospital is using fake patients sprayed with TABASCO SAUCE to train doctors how not to come in contact with the deadly virus dripping into U.S territory
- US Airways jet bound for Philadelphia spends SIX HOURS circling Brussels to burn fuel after developing rudder fault
- Anatoly Moskvin dug up 150 girls graves to hold 'birthday parties' for them
- Hailee Lamberth's parents sue school for 'not telling them she was bullied'
- Kayelisa Martin smothered her baby then held body in her arms as she gave police a statement
- Gunman in murder-suicide at Ben Taub General Hospital in Houston, Texas
- Billionaire George Soros' son fights bitter divorce battle with wife of 22 years after 'cheating with a model-turned-naked artist'
- Small plane and helicopter collide in midair killing three in Maryland
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Nebraska school district allows students to pose with guns in yearbook photos
- Dallas nurse Nina Pham declared free of Ebola
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Ikea video of scene from Stanley Kubrick's The Shining in time for Halloween
- Mama June comes out on video to defend herself amid child molester scandal after Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is axed by TLC
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Ebola 'SWAT teams' on standby to rush to wherever new cases are identified
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Eddie Redmayne morphs into Stephen Hawking for The Theory of Everything clip
- US airstrikes have killed 464 ISIS fighters and 57 others in Syria, report claims
- Rosie O'Donnell under fire after defending Chrissy Teigen's Ottawa shooting tweet
- New York Ebola doctor's fiancee and TWO friends quarantined amid fears he gave them deadly virus: Potential victims in isolation - and there could be more after medic spent SEVEN days riding the subway, bowling and traveling in Uber taxis
- Substitute teacher 'had sex with a football player student, 17, during pep rally on her first day of school'
- Boy, 11, shoots dead extremely rare albino deer that biologists say are born just once in every HUNDRED THOUSAND births
- Bear Grylls releases new book 'Extreme Food'
- Pakistan to bring in anti-cannibalism law after brothers dug up corpses for curry
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Authorities recover 500 pounds of meth in massive California drug bust
- Lauryn 'Pumpkin' Shannon rubbishes reports Mama June is dating child sex offender ex
- North Korea becomes first to close its borders because of Ebola
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- EXCLUSIVE: Empty corridors, snow-free mountains and the weird Dome Cafe: Inside North Korea's deserted ski resort which Kim Jong-un says is 'impeccable'
- Defense attorney of one of the four Vanderbilt football players accused of sexually assaulting an unconscious 21-year-old female student says his client was 'too drunk to rape'