Natalie Perriello murder: Husband pleads guilty to gunning down his teacher wife in front of their son, 3, after he found out she was having affair with 20-year-old former student
- Natalie Perriello, 42, was found lying in a pool of blood after being shot six times
- James Perriello told 911 dispatcher he lost his cool after learning his wife was having an affair
- Teacher struck up relationship with a man who used to be her elementary school student
- Murder took place in couple's home where their four children slept, including 3-year-old who was lying in bed next to his mother
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 21:33 EST, 3 December 2013 | UPDATED: 21:57 EST, 3 December 2013
A New Hampshire man admitted in court today that he shot dead his wife just inches away from their toddler son in a fit of rage after learning she had unfaithful to him.
James Perriello, 42, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the 2012 slaying of Natalie Perriello, a popular teacher at Lebanon High School and a finalist for the state’s teacher of the year competition.
Mrs Perriello, a mother of four, was discovered shot multiple times inside the couple’s home on April 26, 2012. Her husband said he had secretly taped her and discovered her affair with a former student, who was 20 years old at the time.
Confession: James Perriello (left) told a judge that he gunned down his wife, Natalie Perriello (right), in front of their 3-year-old son in a spasm of anger after learning she was having an affair
Grisly scene: Mrs Perriello was found lying in a pool of blood inside her New Hampshire home after being shot six times in front of her 3-year-old son
In court Tuesday, James Perriello said he was ‘very angry’ the night he killed his wife, and he told Judge Brian Tucker he was ‘very sorry’ for what he had done.
As he spoke in court, Natalie Perriello’s brother, Bob LaFlam Jr., stared at him.
‘I just couldn’t believe…what he did to those kids,’ LaFlam said after Perriello pleaded guilty.
James Perriello’s parents declined to comment. The couple’s four children, ages 3 to 12 at the time of the shooting, are being raised by Natalie Perriello’s mother.
Prosecutors will ask for 35 years to life in prison when he is sentenced December 18, while Perriello’s lawyer, Kimberly Cossick, will seek 18 to 36 years in prison.
The Perriellos had a turbulent relationship for years, but their marital problems took a turn for the worse after the birth of their fourth child, according to court records.
They had separated several months before the shooting but eventually returned home, sleeping in separate bedrooms.
They went to a marriage counselor on the day of the shooting. Police said on the night of the murder, Perriello continued confronting his wife about what he had heard on the recording.
Police learned through the tape that Natalie Perriello, 42, and her 20-year-old former student Joshua Towle ‘were affectionate toward one another and had initiated a relationship.’
Dangerous liaison: Natalie struck up a relationship with her former student, 20-year-old Josh Towle (left) just months before the shooting, and on the night of her death she came clean to her husband about the affair
Perriello also told police he had been monitoring his wife’s email, social media sites and text messages.
The husband initially told police he went back into the bedroom with a gun to scare his wife and that it accidentally went off when she tried to grab it. He claimed the gun had a hair-trigger but a police expert testified it fired normally.
The first bullet struck Natalie’s ring finger as she tried to grab for the gun. After Perriello shot her once in the head at close range, he fired five more times before letting her lifeless body drop to the floor, Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin said.
One bullet was lodged in the window frame above where the 3-year-old lay next to his mother.
Just days before the shooting, Perriello told several co-workers at a construction site that he believed his wife was having an affair and said at least three times that he ‘ought to just kill’ her, Strelzin told the judge.
Crime of passion: Perriello said he was 'very angry' the night he killed his wife, and he told Judge Brian Tucker he was 'very sorry' for what he had done
According to New Hampshire Union Leader, Towle had been Perriello’s student at Canaan Elementary School, where she had taught for 15 years before becoming a technology teacher at Lebanon High School.
The two reconnected via Facebook and text messages last year while Towle was living in California, and their relationship turned physical when the 20-year-old returned to New Hampshire just days before Perriello’s killing.
Perriello said his wife told him she had fallen out of love with him, according to police testimony at a preliminary hearing last year.
‘My wife was having an affair and I just lost my cool,’ police said Perriello told a 911 dispatcher on the night of the killing.
A responding officer found the body of the 42-year-old mother of four lying in a pool of blood on the bedroom floor.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Obamacare law means Americans will see calorie-counts on menus and menu boards everywhere next year, but studies show dramatic move might make us eat MORE
Members of Congress who pushed for the rule say it doesn't go far enough and want it expanded to movie theaters, bowling alleys and theme ...
- Donna Motsinger, 73, comes out as 'Jane Doe No 8' in 2005 civil suit accusing Bill Cosby of drugging and raping her in 1971
- Millionaire investor dumps much younger girlfriend of five years by serving her with a restraining order and kicking her out of the house after she returns from weekend away
- Oakwood High School student posts on Twitter 'Go Back To Africa'
- My eyes are up here! Bill Clinton caught 'not paying attention' in selfie with attractive brunette
- Devon Still has not paid child support in MONTHS, child's mother claims
- Madagascar bubonic plague outbreak has claimed 47 victims
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- NYU student 'helped former Delaware prosecutor set up threesome with teen'
- Kurt Cobain documentary in the works at HBO
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- South Carolina boy, 5, born without fingers can use his right hand with Iron Man-themed prosthesis
- Alfonso Ribeiro wins Season 19 of 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Phyllis Latour Doyle is awarded France's highest honour
- University of Virginia looks at alcohol as factor in sex assaults
- Thanksgiving travel nightmare: Nor'easter set to paralyze roads and cancel flights with Atlantic storm expected to dump snow at an inch an hour on Wednesday
- Ferguson riots claim first casualty as teenager found 'shot dead' in his car
- Ferguson officer Darren Wilson's family tell of receiving death threats.
- The tear-jerking moment a family gets to listen to their 21-year-old son's heart beating in the chest of a Vietnam vet
- Siddhartha Dhar claims he 'can't love my mum because she's not Muslim'
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Ferguson locals laugh at wreckage, pose for pics, scavenge for beers
- Bill Cosby biographer: 'I was wrong' to ignore sexual assault allegations
- Putin's tiger the main suspect in mystery China goat deaths -Xinhua
- Two FBI agents have been shot in St. Louis after responding to a siege at a residential home
- Terms of Service
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- 'You are too much of a p***y to shoot me': Explosive grand jury evidence reveals how an 'aggressive' Michael Brown taunted cop Darren Wilson before he was shot dead
- Ferguson officer Darren Wilson in ABC George Stephanopoulos interview
- Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flagg in 'The Stand'?
- Don Lemon criticized for marijuana remark during Ferguson coverage
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Phil Hughes in an induced coma after being struck in the head by ball
- Shanghai tower blocks are now holding each other up
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Lily Allen declares Ebola charity single 'a bit smug'
- NYPD chief sprayed with fake blood at Ferguson grand jury decision protest
- 'Ex-felon' offers himself up on Craiglist as the worst possible Thanksgiving date with promises to start a fight on the front lawn and propose in front of your family
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Church attended by Michael Brown's family destroyed during Monday night's protests
- Passengers PUSH their plane after its brakes froze in Russia
- Missouri cop shot in the arm as violent protests continue in the wake of the grand jury decision not to indict Officer Darren Wilson in Michael Brown's death
- Indiana Pacers player Paul George and former stripper Daniela Rajic resolve paternity battle regarding their 7-month-old baby girl
- First woman named in charge of White House dessert menu but can she satisfy a sweet tooth and still meet First Lady Michelle Obama's healthy demands?
The Australian teenager who loves Sandra Bullock, her family... and ISIS slaughter pictures: Inside the life of girl living in Syria with the jihadist father who posted picture of his son with a severed head (0)