Natalie Perriello murder: Husband pleads guilty to gunning down his teacher wife in front of their son, 3, after he found out she was having affair with 20-year-old former student
- Natalie Perriello, 42, was found lying in a pool of blood after being shot six times
- James Perriello told 911 dispatcher he lost his cool after learning his wife was having an affair
- Teacher struck up relationship with a man who used to be her elementary school student
- Murder took place in couple's home where their four children slept, including 3-year-old who was lying in bed next to his mother
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 21:33 EST, 3 December 2013 | UPDATED: 21:57 EST, 3 December 2013
A New Hampshire man admitted in court today that he shot dead his wife just inches away from their toddler son in a fit of rage after learning she had unfaithful to him.
James Perriello, 42, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the 2012 slaying of Natalie Perriello, a popular teacher at Lebanon High School and a finalist for the state’s teacher of the year competition.
Mrs Perriello, a mother of four, was discovered shot multiple times inside the couple’s home on April 26, 2012. Her husband said he had secretly taped her and discovered her affair with a former student, who was 20 years old at the time.
Confession: James Perriello (left) told a judge that he gunned down his wife, Natalie Perriello (right), in front of their 3-year-old son in a spasm of anger after learning she was having an affair
Grisly scene: Mrs Perriello was found lying in a pool of blood inside her New Hampshire home after being shot six times in front of her 3-year-old son
In court Tuesday, James Perriello said he was ‘very angry’ the night he killed his wife, and he told Judge Brian Tucker he was ‘very sorry’ for what he had done.
As he spoke in court, Natalie Perriello’s brother, Bob LaFlam Jr., stared at him.
‘I just couldn’t believe…what he did to those kids,’ LaFlam said after Perriello pleaded guilty.
James Perriello’s parents declined to comment. The couple’s four children, ages 3 to 12 at the time of the shooting, are being raised by Natalie Perriello’s mother.
Prosecutors will ask for 35 years to life in prison when he is sentenced December 18, while Perriello’s lawyer, Kimberly Cossick, will seek 18 to 36 years in prison.
The Perriellos had a turbulent relationship for years, but their marital problems took a turn for the worse after the birth of their fourth child, according to court records.
They had separated several months before the shooting but eventually returned home, sleeping in separate bedrooms.
They went to a marriage counselor on the day of the shooting. Police said on the night of the murder, Perriello continued confronting his wife about what he had heard on the recording.
Police learned through the tape that Natalie Perriello, 42, and her 20-year-old former student Joshua Towle ‘were affectionate toward one another and had initiated a relationship.’
Dangerous liaison: Natalie struck up a relationship with her former student, 20-year-old Josh Towle (left) just months before the shooting, and on the night of her death she came clean to her husband about the affair
Perriello also told police he had been monitoring his wife’s email, social media sites and text messages.
The husband initially told police he went back into the bedroom with a gun to scare his wife and that it accidentally went off when she tried to grab it. He claimed the gun had a hair-trigger but a police expert testified it fired normally.
The first bullet struck Natalie’s ring finger as she tried to grab for the gun. After Perriello shot her once in the head at close range, he fired five more times before letting her lifeless body drop to the floor, Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin said.
One bullet was lodged in the window frame above where the 3-year-old lay next to his mother.
Just days before the shooting, Perriello told several co-workers at a construction site that he believed his wife was having an affair and said at least three times that he ‘ought to just kill’ her, Strelzin told the judge.
Crime of passion: Perriello said he was 'very angry' the night he killed his wife, and he told Judge Brian Tucker he was 'very sorry' for what he had done
According to New Hampshire Union Leader, Towle had been Perriello’s student at Canaan Elementary School, where she had taught for 15 years before becoming a technology teacher at Lebanon High School.
The two reconnected via Facebook and text messages last year while Towle was living in California, and their relationship turned physical when the 20-year-old returned to New Hampshire just days before Perriello’s killing.
Perriello said his wife told him she had fallen out of love with him, according to police testimony at a preliminary hearing last year.
‘My wife was having an affair and I just lost my cool,’ police said Perriello told a 911 dispatcher on the night of the killing.
A responding officer found the body of the 42-year-old mother of four lying in a pool of blood on the bedroom floor.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Erica Lynne Mesa, 27, charged with custodian indecent liberties and solicitation of a minor using a computerThe married math teacher and volleyball coach at Colonial Forge ...
- Former state wrestling champ and Harvard student dies in mysterious circumstances one day after funeral for his best friend who died of suspected heroin overdose
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Mayor of Los Angeles suburb shot dead by his wife of nearly 30 years following an argument involving their 19-year-old son
- 'The world could be a very different place if he pulled that gun': Secret Service allowed a three-time felon carrying a gun to travel in an elevator with Obama in latest screw up
- Not even Diana's thigh-high skirt made up for her being such an airhead: Withering verdict of LORD BELL, Lady Thatcher's favourite ad man
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Woman dies after falling into giant vat of wine in Spain
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Pictured: Smiling grandmother who was beheaded by Muslim convert in Oklahoma just months after losing her home in tornado
- 'He's got to be gotten rid of': Notorious mobster Bugsy Siegel was 'shot dead by truck driver lover of his best friend's wife'
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Ready to look cute: Magic Johnsons son and star of RichKids of Beverly Hills undergoes gastric sleeve surgery to slim down
- Over 35,000 WALRUS are frantically coming ashore on a beach in northwest Alaska because the sea ice they normally rest on has melted due to global warming
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Mystery as driver found 'shot dead' inside a crashed Mercedes as another body discovered two miles away in million-dollar home
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Maldive photos show mountains of plastic bottles washed up on islands
- How well do you know your partner? The shocking signs that your other half is lying to you
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Missing woman found ALIVE in the trunk of her car but remembers little from her three-day disappearance
- President Barack Obama has skipped more than HALF of his daily intel briefings
- China's Miao Room cavern is the largest on earth
- Now it really IS the Umbrella Revolution! Thousands of pro-democracy protesters take shelter from torrential rain as deadline for election reforms nears
- Man with Ebola at Dallas hospital was first SENT HOME with antibiotics before the deadly virus was later discovered
- Meet the megaflare: Nasa spots stellar flare 10,000 times more powerful than the largest solar blast ever recorded
- 'Black widow' found GUILTY of shooting dead her husband for insurance money and trying to make it look like a suicide
- Lobster meals, a full-size bed and a private departure room: Young entrepreneur uses $23,000 worth of air miles to travel on most luxurious flight in the world from Singapore to New York... and blogs about experience
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- 'Just confess if you still have a spark of humanity': Mother in emotional plea to Hannah Graham suspect after forensic evidence links him to abduction, rape and murder of her own daughter five years ago
- Utah family found dead by son under mysterious circumstances
- All bets are orf! Insider info fears sees bookmakers suspend all bets on Kate giving birth to twins after surge in wagers from new accounts
- 'It's despicable': Widow hits out at college's decision to let her cop husband's killer give graduation speech
- Robin Williams' autopsy results to be delayed another month as coroner continues testing
- Coyote hit by an SUV miraculously SURVIVES with just fractured legs after getting stuck in the bumper
- Night-vision photos show U.S. fighter jet being refueled mid-air before carrying out strikes over Syria
- All hail NYC cabbies! Taxi drivers strip down for 2015 charity calendar (warning: there's a lot of chest hair)
- Randy Couture gets the boot on 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Furore over Stella McCartney's skeleton-chic model as hundreds of fans complain about designer's Instagram snap
- KFC customer told he can't have a wet wipe in halal-only branch because it contains alcohol and could offend Muslim diners
- Uh-oh Spaghetti-METH?!: Woman released from jail ONE MONTH after police confuse a crusty spoon in her car with SPAGHETTIO'S residue on it as being meth
- Terms of Service
- Taylor Swift holds second '1989' surprise screening for fans
- Oklahoma man charged with murder in beheading
- FBI close down 'invisible' smartphone 'stalker app' which allowed user remote access