Natalie Perriello murder: Husband pleads guilty to gunning down his teacher wife in front of their son, 3, after he found out she was having affair with 20-year-old former student
- Natalie Perriello, 42, was found lying in a pool of blood after being shot six times
- James Perriello told 911 dispatcher he lost his cool after learning his wife was having an affair
- Teacher struck up relationship with a man who used to be her elementary school student
- Murder took place in couple's home where their four children slept, including 3-year-old who was lying in bed next to his mother
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 21:33 EST, 3 December 2013 | UPDATED: 21:57 EST, 3 December 2013
A New Hampshire man admitted in court today that he shot dead his wife just inches away from their toddler son in a fit of rage after learning she had unfaithful to him.
James Perriello, 42, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the 2012 slaying of Natalie Perriello, a popular teacher at Lebanon High School and a finalist for the state’s teacher of the year competition.
Mrs Perriello, a mother of four, was discovered shot multiple times inside the couple’s home on April 26, 2012. Her husband said he had secretly taped her and discovered her affair with a former student, who was 20 years old at the time.
Confession: James Perriello (left) told a judge that he gunned down his wife, Natalie Perriello (right), in front of their 3-year-old son in a spasm of anger after learning she was having an affair
Grisly scene: Mrs Perriello was found lying in a pool of blood inside her New Hampshire home after being shot six times in front of her 3-year-old son
In court Tuesday, James Perriello said he was ‘very angry’ the night he killed his wife, and he told Judge Brian Tucker he was ‘very sorry’ for what he had done.
As he spoke in court, Natalie Perriello’s brother, Bob LaFlam Jr., stared at him.
‘I just couldn’t believe…what he did to those kids,’ LaFlam said after Perriello pleaded guilty.
James Perriello’s parents declined to comment. The couple’s four children, ages 3 to 12 at the time of the shooting, are being raised by Natalie Perriello’s mother.
Prosecutors will ask for 35 years to life in prison when he is sentenced December 18, while Perriello’s lawyer, Kimberly Cossick, will seek 18 to 36 years in prison.
The Perriellos had a turbulent relationship for years, but their marital problems took a turn for the worse after the birth of their fourth child, according to court records.
They had separated several months before the shooting but eventually returned home, sleeping in separate bedrooms.
They went to a marriage counselor on the day of the shooting. Police said on the night of the murder, Perriello continued confronting his wife about what he had heard on the recording.
Police learned through the tape that Natalie Perriello, 42, and her 20-year-old former student Joshua Towle ‘were affectionate toward one another and had initiated a relationship.’
Dangerous liaison: Natalie struck up a relationship with her former student, 20-year-old Josh Towle (left) just months before the shooting, and on the night of her death she came clean to her husband about the affair
Perriello also told police he had been monitoring his wife’s email, social media sites and text messages.
The husband initially told police he went back into the bedroom with a gun to scare his wife and that it accidentally went off when she tried to grab it. He claimed the gun had a hair-trigger but a police expert testified it fired normally.
The first bullet struck Natalie’s ring finger as she tried to grab for the gun. After Perriello shot her once in the head at close range, he fired five more times before letting her lifeless body drop to the floor, Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin said.
One bullet was lodged in the window frame above where the 3-year-old lay next to his mother.
Just days before the shooting, Perriello told several co-workers at a construction site that he believed his wife was having an affair and said at least three times that he ‘ought to just kill’ her, Strelzin told the judge.
Crime of passion: Perriello said he was 'very angry' the night he killed his wife, and he told Judge Brian Tucker he was 'very sorry' for what he had done
According to New Hampshire Union Leader, Towle had been Perriello’s student at Canaan Elementary School, where she had taught for 15 years before becoming a technology teacher at Lebanon High School.
The two reconnected via Facebook and text messages last year while Towle was living in California, and their relationship turned physical when the 20-year-old returned to New Hampshire just days before Perriello’s killing.
Perriello said his wife told him she had fallen out of love with him, according to police testimony at a preliminary hearing last year.
‘My wife was having an affair and I just lost my cool,’ police said Perriello told a 911 dispatcher on the night of the killing.
A responding officer found the body of the 42-year-old mother of four lying in a pool of blood on the bedroom floor.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Jacuzzis, butlers and baby grand pianos... welcome aboard the cruise ships with the most lavish suites (and heftiest price tags)
By Rebecca Brett for MailOnline Published: 11:37 EST, 30 August 2014 | Updated: 04:00 EST, 31 August 2014 ...
- Dance teacher accused of molesting pupil and running 'cult' school shot dead in his Louisiana home by son-in-law who was also his former lover
- New York's West Indian Day Parade again marred by violence - this time before it even starts
- Iraqi TV's cartoon satire on terror, ISIS, and jihadis
- Romanian footballer's girlfriend in row over animal cruelty after posting bizarre picture of pet puppy nibbling her bra
- Nordic diet volunteers lost three times as much weight as others
- Louisiana TV host shot dead by son-in-law who was also believed to be his lover in alleged murder-suicide attempt
- Jennifer Lawrence victim of hacker who leaks slew of graphic nude photos of Oscar winning actress and 'dozens of A-listers'
- 'We're all lucky to be alive': Miracle baby born in middle of fatal flood which destroyed family's home and wiped away half a town almost one year ago
- Three American captives held in North Korea say their plight is 'urgent' and beg U.S. government for help in new interview
- Gym teacher sentenced to 20 months in prison for two-year sexual relationship she had with 15-year-old male student
- Woman is killed along with her three children and boyfriend in plane crash near Erie airport
- The puppy who got a second chance: Heart-warming story of near ferial abandoned dog who became a lovable pet after being rescued and given a little TLC
- The curse of having wonky eyebrows: Uneven brows get worse as you age - now there's a cunning way to straighten them
- 'The colour of his skin is of no concern - Jonah being a healthy and happy baby is what matters': White child is born to black mother - beating odds of a million-to-one
- Mexican university prank backfires when woman pulls GUN on students attempting to haze her
- Israel under fire for 'largest West Bank land grab in 30 years' as soldiers swoop on 1,000 acres of Palestinian territory
- 'I threw up before I walked her down the aisle': Dad of woman who helped kill 3 honors victims as he says he was always against her marriage to the man he says 'brainwashed' her
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Two dead after fireworks ready for display exploded at tycoon's Windermere wedding in Cumbria
- Doctors fear stroke could leave Joan Rivers as 'either a vegetable or in a wheelchair' as they begin process to bring her out of coma which will take until Tuesday
- Arresting and confronting photos that capture beauty cancer survivors
- Iraqi forces break through to besieged town of Amerli after US air strikes and aid drop - ending two-month Islamic State siege
- Pregnant woman shot dead 'in cold blood' at her home in attack that also killed unborn child
- Mexico'sLeandra Becerra Lumbreras becomes oldest person who ever lived at 127
- Celebrity chef Todd English charged with DWI in NY
- How to eat exhaustion away: In part two of our unmissable series on beating tiredness, a top GP reveals the three week diet plan that'll have you bouncing out of bed again
- 'I am the most drunk Democrat in Texas': Gov. Rick Perry says tweet that disparaged district attorney convicted for drunk driving was 'unauthorized'
- White British girl who's now a 'celebrity jihadi': Mother-of-two a 'top priority' for MI6 and she calls on Muslims to join the terror group
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Heart-stopping moment a Russian IndyCar rookie smashed into another car and fence in horror crush that left him with broken bones
- Spotted in Primark at 15, the single mum who is the new Naomi Campbell (and is making millions after leaving her drug dealer lover)
- LIZ JONES: I've nearly been arrested TWICE while enduring the hell of flying (Give me a Knee Defender and it could be third time lucky)
- 'We're going home': YouTube video shows the moment a leukemia patient, 7, is elated to find out he can get out of the hospital
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Duke and Duchess's dog Lupo immortalised in new book series by former actress who was inspired to write following death of her husband
- Farms of artificial humans to replace animal testing within three years, say experts
- Australian drama school NIDA with millionaire graduates still losing money
- Kate Bush's home on Devon coast at risk of crumbling into the sea after landslip
- At least two dead and many more missing as massive explosion destroys four-story building in Paris suburb
- How middle-aged mother Sally Jones from Chatham may have 'reinvented herself as a jihadi'
- Yellowstone 'super eruption' would cover the country in ash
- British grandparents' grief over Down's syndrome twin who was given up for adoption
- Gym teacher at top New York Catholic school 'had affairs with her male students for years'
- Harmful chemical linked to factory lung condition is found in e-cigarette liquid
- Ebola outbreak in Sierra Leone traced back to a single traditional healer's funeral
- New Zealand Siamese cat led separate lives with two different families for 10 years
- Prince William, Kate and their cocker spaniel Lupo return to London from break in Norfolk