Natalie Perriello murder: Husband pleads guilty to gunning down his teacher wife in front of their son, 3, after he found out she was having affair with 20-year-old former student
- Natalie Perriello, 42, was found lying in a pool of blood after being shot six times
- James Perriello told 911 dispatcher he lost his cool after learning his wife was having an affair
- Teacher struck up relationship with a man who used to be her elementary school student
- Murder took place in couple's home where their four children slept, including 3-year-old who was lying in bed next to his mother
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 21:33 EST, 3 December 2013 | UPDATED: 21:57 EST, 3 December 2013
A New Hampshire man admitted in court today that he shot dead his wife just inches away from their toddler son in a fit of rage after learning she had unfaithful to him.
James Perriello, 42, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the 2012 slaying of Natalie Perriello, a popular teacher at Lebanon High School and a finalist for the state’s teacher of the year competition.
Mrs Perriello, a mother of four, was discovered shot multiple times inside the couple’s home on April 26, 2012. Her husband said he had secretly taped her and discovered her affair with a former student, who was 20 years old at the time.
Confession: James Perriello (left) told a judge that he gunned down his wife, Natalie Perriello (right), in front of their 3-year-old son in a spasm of anger after learning she was having an affair
Grisly scene: Mrs Perriello was found lying in a pool of blood inside her New Hampshire home after being shot six times in front of her 3-year-old son
In court Tuesday, James Perriello said he was ‘very angry’ the night he killed his wife, and he told Judge Brian Tucker he was ‘very sorry’ for what he had done.
As he spoke in court, Natalie Perriello’s brother, Bob LaFlam Jr., stared at him.
‘I just couldn’t believe…what he did to those kids,’ LaFlam said after Perriello pleaded guilty.
James Perriello’s parents declined to comment. The couple’s four children, ages 3 to 12 at the time of the shooting, are being raised by Natalie Perriello’s mother.
Prosecutors will ask for 35 years to life in prison when he is sentenced December 18, while Perriello’s lawyer, Kimberly Cossick, will seek 18 to 36 years in prison.
The Perriellos had a turbulent relationship for years, but their marital problems took a turn for the worse after the birth of their fourth child, according to court records.
They had separated several months before the shooting but eventually returned home, sleeping in separate bedrooms.
They went to a marriage counselor on the day of the shooting. Police said on the night of the murder, Perriello continued confronting his wife about what he had heard on the recording.
Police learned through the tape that Natalie Perriello, 42, and her 20-year-old former student Joshua Towle ‘were affectionate toward one another and had initiated a relationship.’
Dangerous liaison: Natalie struck up a relationship with her former student, 20-year-old Josh Towle (left) just months before the shooting, and on the night of her death she came clean to her husband about the affair
Perriello also told police he had been monitoring his wife’s email, social media sites and text messages.
The husband initially told police he went back into the bedroom with a gun to scare his wife and that it accidentally went off when she tried to grab it. He claimed the gun had a hair-trigger but a police expert testified it fired normally.
The first bullet struck Natalie’s ring finger as she tried to grab for the gun. After Perriello shot her once in the head at close range, he fired five more times before letting her lifeless body drop to the floor, Senior Assistant Attorney General Jeffery Strelzin said.
One bullet was lodged in the window frame above where the 3-year-old lay next to his mother.
Just days before the shooting, Perriello told several co-workers at a construction site that he believed his wife was having an affair and said at least three times that he ‘ought to just kill’ her, Strelzin told the judge.
Crime of passion: Perriello said he was 'very angry' the night he killed his wife, and he told Judge Brian Tucker he was 'very sorry' for what he had done
According to New Hampshire Union Leader, Towle had been Perriello’s student at Canaan Elementary School, where she had taught for 15 years before becoming a technology teacher at Lebanon High School.
The two reconnected via Facebook and text messages last year while Towle was living in California, and their relationship turned physical when the 20-year-old returned to New Hampshire just days before Perriello’s killing.
Perriello said his wife told him she had fallen out of love with him, according to police testimony at a preliminary hearing last year.
‘My wife was having an affair and I just lost my cool,’ police said Perriello told a 911 dispatcher on the night of the killing.
A responding officer found the body of the 42-year-old mother of four lying in a pool of blood on the bedroom floor.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
- 'Scottish aristocrats' who had luxury lakeside home charged with fraud
- Scientists develop 'Star Trek' scanner that can detect cancer, HIV and other killer diseases in minutes
- Miss Teen Arizona wins 2 months after losing parents in a plane crash
- Rascal Flatts admits to lip-syncing at at ACM Awards
- Flower girl, 4, who took her first steps - thanks to a harness attached to her dad
- Bodies of teen girl on Spring break and her 33-year-old aunt pulled from Lake Erie after they went missing with two men on fishing trip
- Fire board members host meeting to talk about budget
- Russian millionaire Pavel Ushanov on the run after beating girlfriend
- Adolf Hitler postcard sent during World War 1 about dentist trip
- Deb’s Mommy blog: Getting ready for our new baby
- Duchess of Cambridge Kate wears blue coat dress at wreath-laying ceremony in New Zealand
- VIDEO: Feds and militia members face off over Nevada rancher’s cattle
- Fake kidnapping of boy from a park for video stunt sparks outrage
- Daniel Radcliffe says 'Harry Potter' was an 'amazing springboard' for his career
- A mother's grief: Heartbreaking moment a hippo finds her dead baby and guards it, howling in sorrow
- Footballers end boycott of coach wrongly accused of child porn charges as they announce they will train under him
- Susannah Birch: My mother cut my throat when I was just two but I survived
- Police: Utah mom admitted to killing her 6 babies
- Powerful wind gusts cause damage, fan fire fears
- Victoria Beckham gets cozy with David on her 40th birthday
- 'I can do anything if I put my mind to it. It's just different than how I used to': Teen who had fingers amputated after passing out in subzero temperatures following a night of drinking begins her recovery
- Cristal Richardson gets life for castration and fatal stabbing
- Seattle sewage plant offers FLUSHING brides a $2,000 weddings deal
- North Carolina girl, 3, loses part of both legs in lawn mower accident
- FedEx truck was already up in flames BEFORE it crossed over median strip and crashed into bus in fiery California crash that killed 10
- Twitter user in trouble after joking threat to American Airlines
- Pope Francis warns Christians Satan is trying to tempt you
- Microsoft honors the placid landscape that is the Windows XP default computer background as it says goodbye to XP support after 13 years
- 'Perhaps there are some unconventional ways to lure me away from my company (besides stock options): The incredibly sexist email a man headhunted by female CEO sent, hinting he'd only join her company in exchange for sexual favors
- Police: Utah woman killed 7 infants, stored bodies in garage
- Duke of Cambridge gets a little too close to cliff at beauty spot in Australia after meeting victims of bushfires with Kate
- Highway shooter who targeted at least 12 random motorists during month-long crime spree in Kansas City finally in custody
- Behind the scenes at WGN America’s ‘Salem’ ahead of Sunday premiere
- Pictured: The 12 American girls convinced they are competing to marry Prince Harry in reality show (which uses a lookalike instead)
- Norma Elizalde shot dead by stray bullet in Santa Paula, California, home
- Tattoos and talons: Inside the world of Japan's Bosozoku gang girls where the women are just as bad ass as the men
- Boulder man beaten with baseball bat during robbery dies, DA says
- Tommy Chong to join pot shop in Pueblo County
- Chinese teenagers urged to smile more by biting down on CHOPSTICKS
- Fast acting firefighters use new device to save dogs from a fire
- Lesbian police chief Crystal Moore is fired by new mayor Earl Bullard who was caught saying he'd rather have an alcoholic near his child than a gay couple
- Did this legal marijuana-laced candy make man hallucinate and shoot his wife?
- Obama warns Russia may still face sanctions over Ukraine as he cautiously welcomes deal to resolve crisis
- Outrage at Long Island Twitter account that posts pictures of drunk local teens
- Caught on camera: Crazed man 'high on PCP' climbs on top of SUV with a woman and child inside and strips NAKED before being yanked off the roof by police
- Former Springs employee critical of Streets Division
- Stunning victory for Oxford in Boat Race as its rowers easily beat Cambridge, watched by tens of thousands on banks of Thames
- Chinese mourners hiring professional actors to wail loudly as traditional ritual dictates
- The mugshots that reveal the sordid history of a small American town