Couple who wed despite all odds after groom's debilitating accident make touching video of their incredible love story
- Larissa Murphy feared she's never marry Ian after he suffered a horrific brain injury while going to work near Pittsburgh
- Larissa moved in with Ian and his family and vowed they would marry if he ever learned to communicate again
- Eventually they sought and won permission from a judge to marry and have told their amazing story in a video so incredible it has received over 200,000 views
By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 11:16 EST, 29 October 2013 | UPDATED: 11:16 EST, 29 October 2013
The heart-warming story of a Pennsylvania woman whose boyfriend suffered a debilitating brain injury has gone viral since the still-loving couple decided to get married despite his continued disability.
The Story of Ian & Larissa Murphy is about as atypical as a love story can be, but it begins and ends the way all the best ones do—with young lovebirds beating the odds to finally tie the knot.
But after a 10-month courtship came to an abrupt halt when Ian got into a horrific accident, there was a time when nothing in their lives seemed at all certain.
Scroll down for video...
Weathering the storm: Larissa and Ian Murphy were happily married in 2012, but not before the young couple was able to whether incredible hardships
The way they were: Larissa and Ian met in college in 2005 and 10 months later already had plans to get engaged. But their plans came to an abrupt halt when Ian suffered a debilitating brain injury
Shattered: Ian was left unable to communicate and it became doubtful that his and Larissa's dreams would ever come true
‘Ian and I first met in 2005 at college and had a blast for 10 months getting to know each other,’ Larissa says in a video documenting their story that has been making the internet rounds recently.
Larissa says she and Ian were ‘dating very intentionally’ and that they planned to get married soon after they were slated to finish college in December 2006.
But before that could happen, tragedy intervened.
On September 30 of that year, Ian was on his way to work near Pittsburgh when he suffered a serious accident.
Memories: Larissa says Ian was shopping for engagement rings when he suffered his injury near Pittsburgh just months before they were to graduate from college in 2006
Hopeful: Larissa moved into Ian's family's home to help take care of him and waited for him to improve. If he could communicate, she said, then they could make a marriage work
Scroll down for full video...
‘We got a phone call that he had been in an accident,’ Larissa says. ‘ [He] had suffered a traumatic brain injury.’
Suddenly, what had seemed so certain to Larissa, became frighteningly out of reach.
But instead of moving on to another man and future husband, Larissa moved into Ian family’s home to help take care of him.
Though Ian was unable to communicate, she continued to date him.
‘I knew where he was so after he couldn’t talk, that helped me so much. I knew that he loved me,’ she says. ‘Looking back, it’s weird because he couldn’t talk and he couldn’t eat, so we probably looked like complete weirdos when we went on dates. But we had a blast and I just talked to him all the time.’
Finally: Once Ian could communicate, the couple had to ask a judge if they could marry. He said the marriage could proceed
'You two exemplify what love is all about. I believe that marriage will not only benefit you both but our community and hope that everyone in this city could see your love for one another,' said the judge who determined if they could marry
As Ian’s condition slowly improved, the possibility of marriage became stronger.
‘If he could communicate with me,’ she said. ‘Then we could have a marriage knowing it would be really different but as long as Ian could talk to me we could make it work.’
While Ian became incrementally healthier, his father became sick. He was diagnosed with brain cancer during his son’s recovery.
Ian’s father’s sickness became a catalyst for Larissa, who knew how much he wanted them to marry.
When Ian was well enough, Larissa took him to a judge in order to get their marriage approved.
According to Larissa, the judge told her: ‘You two exemplify what love is all about. I believe that marriage will not only benefit you both but our community and hope that everyone in this city could see your love for one another.’
'It was so very simple: we love each other': While Larissa never expected to have to provide so much for her husband's need, she says the choice to marry was an easy one
Touching: Larissa keeps a board in their home on which she and Ian and their visitors post what their thankful for. Larissa says half of Ian's say 'my wifey'
They would soon be married, though the new would come too late to share with Ian’s father, who died before their engagement.
Their touching video documents their touching, family and friend-filled wedding. Instead of standing, Larissa sits at the altar to be alongside the still seriously disabled Ian.
She must even help him stand as they complete their vows, just as she must now help him with everyday tasks.
Despite it all, Larissa says it is worth it to be married to the love of her life.
‘But in light of all the practicals, and emotionals,’ she writes on desiringgod.org, ‘it was so very simple: we love each other.’
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Kai the 'hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' who 'beat lawyer to death' is rushed to hospital with self-inflicted wounds after suicide attempt in jail
Caleb Lawrence McGillvary, 24, better known as Kai, was arrested for the murder of Joseph Galfy Jr in Clark in MayMcGillvary wrote on Facebook a ...
- 'Plastic-looking' CGI characters could soon look more human as researchers unveil high-definition facial scanner to capture every skin cell and wrinkle
- Paul Walker: How eight year-old son of Paul Walker's friend tried to save pair from fiery crash as last image of Fast & Furious star getting into doomed Porsche GT emerges
- They're MY Choos: TAMARA MELLON reveals her contempt for the man whose name is on the label and how she almost lost her millions to her alcoholic mother
- Horrifying assault goes viral after Sharkeisha sucker-punches victim
- Kathleen Magowan estate: The secret millionaire twins who lived modestly but were sitting on a gold mine
- Denver one of best cities in nation for brunch
- Paul Walker's girlfriend Jasmine Pilchard-Gosnell makes emotional visit to his family's home
- Warning ahead! 98 per cent of drivers cannot understand their dashboard lights
- Colorado's 9NEWS anchor Kyle Clark News rants at viewers' patio snow pictures
- Mark Spatucci 'RAPED former Miss Teen USA contestant Mary Greff before killing her'
- Diane Disney Miller who inspired her famous father to create Disneyland dies at age 79
- Paul Walker's younger brother Cody starts to clear up late actor's belongings
- Nelson Mandela, death of the ballroom dancing ladies' man with a tempestuous love life
- Dinovember's toy dinosaurs 'come to life' when creative parents spark web craze
- Paul Walker's best friend and ex Aubrianna Atwell 'devastated' by death
- New York SUV attack: NYPD detective 'forgot side of law he's on'
- In love behind bars, Charles Manson, 79, and the 25-year-old woman he's going to MARRY as America's most notorious serial killer reveals he's bisexual... and STILL claims he's innocent
- Cringe Index shows most embarrassing parents' behaviour
- 'Our girls lived a love-drenched life': Grief-stricken parents mourn daughters, 6 and 11, 'who were run over and killed by teenage couple' while playing in a pile of leaves
- Olivia Locher photos capture the most bizarre things outlawed in America
- Gadget lovers rejoice! FAA finally says airlines can expand use of portable electronic devices gate to gate
- Man suing Snapchat for a third of the $800M company says he was betrayed as he helped create the popular app and has the evidence to prove it
- Today Show's Savannah Guthrie and Matt Lauer try to stay warm at Thanksgiving Parade
- Musician becomes first professional Kim Jong Un lookalike
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Glock inventor's ex-wife loses claim for part of company in divorce
- NBA cheerleader joyous as boyfriend emerges from team mascot and proposes
- From an Instagram 'like' to a chance encounter on Craigslist: Meet the couples who have fallen in love on the internet
- Car crashes into a Long Island Trader Joes, barreling over a dozen shoppers
- Mother-of-three allegedly tried to sell baby to cover drug debt
- Obamas will travel to Mandela's funeral in South Africa
- FDA approves first drug for rare, curved erection disorder
- JFK's brother Robert F. Kennedy's touching responses to condolence letters
- Democrat Harry Reid insists John Boehner is 'going to cave in' on immigration amnesty bill
- Houseplants 'make workers 40% more productive and creative'