The mother of missing schoolgirl Abigail Hernandez has pleaded for her safe return in a birthday message to her daughter
- Police and FBI are continuing their search for missing girl
- Sniffer dogs and officers have combed 3,000 acres of land
- Mother begged for her daughter's safe return
- Investigation remains a missing person inquiry
By Chris Pleasance
PUBLISHED: 10:22 EST, 14 October 2013 | UPDATED: 10:35 EST, 14 October 2013
In a emotional 15th birthday message to her daughter Abigail, Zenya Hernandez begged for the schoolgirl to come home
The mother of a missing 15-year-old schoolgirl has pleaded for her daughter's safe return, saying: 'Please come home. We miss you so badly.'
Speaking in front of Conway police station, Zenya Hernandez wished her daughter, Abigail, a happy 15th birthday.
Today Kieran Ramsey, from the FBI, confirmed that teams are continuing their searches using five sniffer dog teams.
Officers are also canvassing and chasing up tip offs from the public, though no new information has come to light.
Abigail, a Kennett High School student, has been missing since Wednesday last week after walking home from class.
The last sighting of the girl, who ran on the track team for her school and was described as quiet and bright, was around 2.30pm.
Investigators believe Abigail made it back to her home, but when her mother came back from her nursing job, her daughter was gone.
The schoolgirl's 15th birthday was on Saturday.
Since then local police and the FBI have searched on foot, in boats, and by helicopter but have failed to turn up any new evidence about the disappearance.
FBI fixed-wing planes have been drafted into the search, and on Saturday lines of officials meticulously searched four square miles of woodland.
Despite searching over 3,000 acres Major Kevin Jordan of the Maine Fish and Game Department, said: 'We are nowhere near done. We are here to find Abi and to bring her home.'
Five specially trained teams of sniffer dogs were also used, but so far to no avail.
The search has been so thorough that officers have found the body of a hiker who went missing over the weekend, and bone fragments from another case, possibly that of a hiker who went missing in 2006.
Both sets of evidence are unrelated to the Hernandez case.
New Hampshire's White Mountains are full of tourists at this time of year as they come to take pictures of the leaves changing in autumn.
Police, FBI, New Hampshire Fish and Game personnel and volunteers have all helped to search for the teenager but have not found any leads
Sniffer dog teams, police helicopters, and FBI fixed-wing planes have been drafted in as police reveal they have been sent 200 leads from as far away as Texas
This weekend the holidaymakers were handed flyers of the pretty girl and told to watch for anything suspicious.
Hernandez's picture was also plastered over store windows in North Conway Village and in the popular shopping mall.
Police officials said they are still treating Hernandez's disappearance as a missing persons case, but added that foul play has not been ruled out.
So far officers say they have received over 200 tip-offs, some from as far away as Texas.
Abigail is 5ft 4in tall and weighs 118lb with brown hair and eyes. She was last seen wearing black stretch pants, tall brown boots and a grey sweater.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Conway police on 603-356-5715.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Kathleen Magowan estate: The secret millionaire twins who lived modestly but were sitting on a gold mine
Kathleen and Robert Magowan died within a year of each other after years living as near recluses in their modest Simsbury, Connecticut homeThroughout their lives, ...
- Kai the 'hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' who 'beat lawyer to death' is rushed to hospital with self-inflicted wounds after suicide attempt in jail
- Tech Gift Ideas: Chromecast, Push2TV & Boogie Board Jot
- 'Plastic-looking' CGI characters could soon look more human as researchers unveil high-definition facial scanner to capture every skin cell and wrinkle
- Nice day for a height wedding: World's tallest man finds love with woman 2ft 7in shorter than him
- Cuddling a teddy bear can ease existential angst and cure fear of dying says new study
- Two men arrested following Oklahoma mass shooting
- New York residents kept awake by eerie howling from new One World Trade Centre
- North Korean prison camp officials 'raped women and killed them to keep it secret'
- Whistleblower in alleged newborn calves animal abuse case arrested
- Surviving the Holiday Office Party
- First picture of Bethany Freeman, fatally crushed by tree, as St Jude storm death toll rises
- NSA tracks locations of 5 BILLION cellphones everyday overseas
- How to board the metro Venezuelan style
- Brazil's biggest drug cartel promises a 'World Cup of terror' as violent demonstrations take over the streets
- Paul Walker's best friend and ex Aubrianna Atwell 'devastated' by death
- Official: Avs goalie’s arrest a conspiracy to weaken Russia Olympic team
- First US Krokodil drug case recorded by doctors in St. Louis
- Golfers in cheat war: Champ is kicked out of club after email accuses him of unfair play. Now he's suing rival for libel
- A hundred years of grit and glamor: Film celebrates a century of New York street photography
- Steve Jobs roommate Daniel Kottke tells truth behind Chrisann Brennan relationship
- Paul Walker's girlfriend Jasmine Pilchard-Gosnell makes emotional visit to his family's home
- Should the Porsche that killed 'Fast & Furious' Paul Walker be on the road?
- Paul Walker: How eight year-old son of Paul Walker's friend tried to save pair from fiery crash as last image of Fast & Furious star getting into doomed Porsche GT emerges
- Kendrick Johnson death: Blood streaks, an abandoned sneaker and more grisly scene pictures suggest 17-year-old athlete found dead in wrestling mat may have been murdered
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Does China want to turn the moon into a DEATH STAR?
- Bentley team up with Lalique to unveil £3,000 perfume
- Can YOU say the world's hardest tongue twister? Psychologists invent tricky phrase to shed light on brain's speech processes
- You CAN unsend emails: Hidden Gmail feature lets you retrieve incriminating messages (but you have to be quick)
- Agony of woman who suffers from rare condition that causes her to compulsively damage her own skin
- Father arrested for charging his electric car at school while his son was having tennis lessons
- Mother leaves baby boy in elevator only for girl, 10, to find him and 'throw him to his death off balcony'
- Rabbit's teeth have grown so long it has developed a TUSK
- Fancy swapping a cruise for Crusoe? The £1,000 Castaway holiday that dumps you on a deserted island where you must hunt for food and build your own shelter
- Inside the luxury £80,000 per week Courchevel ski chalet that boasts its own spa, two personal chefs - and even a NIGHTCLUB!