Chobani pulls moldy, 'fizzy' yogurt that 'tastes like wine' from store shelves
- The company said it has investigated and found a type of mold commonly found in dairy that may be to blame
- Chobani said the affected product came from its Idaho facility and represents less than 5 percent of its total production
- The company has been working with retailers to remove and replace containers with the code 16-012 and expiration dates Sept. 11 to Oct. 7
By Associated Press Reporter
PUBLISHED: 07:37 EST, 4 September 2013 | UPDATED: 07:37 EST, 4 September 2013
Chobani is pulling some of its Greek yogurt from supermarket shelves after customers complained of 'fizzy' yogurt that tasted like wine in 'swelling or bloating' cups.
The company said it has investigated and found a type of mold commonly found in dairy that may be to blame.
Chobani said the affected product came from its Idaho facility and represents less than 5 percent of its total production. The company has been working with retailers to remove and replace containers with the code 16-012 and expiration dates Sept. 11 to Oct. 7.
In this Jan. 13, 2012 photo, Chobani Greek Yogurt is seen at the Chobani plant in South Edmeston, N.Y. Chobani is pulling some of its Greek yogurt from supermarket shelves after hearing of 'swelling or bloating' in cups
Chobani, which is based in New Berlin, N.Y., did not say how many of its cups or what varieties were affected. The effort was voluntary and it is not issuing a formal recall.
A representative for Kroger, the nation's largest traditional supermarket operator, said Chobani issued a product withdrawal Friday. 'It was not a food safety issue,' Kroger spokesman Keith Dailey said in an email.
On Tuesday, Chobani was responding to people who were complaining about their yogurt cups on Twitter. One person described her cup as 'unnervingly fizzy,' another said the cups were like 'yogurt soup' and another said it tasted like 'wine.'
Yet another person said the strawberry flavor they bought tasted 'really old.'
If the foil top on my @Chobani yogurt is puffed up and the yogurt tastes...fizzy, does that mean it is spoiled?— Lilac Sunday (@LilacSundayBlog) August 30, 2013
I think the fruit in my yogurt fermented. The lid was all puffy and now my yogurt is fizzy and tastes like wine ... #yogurtwine @Chobani— Megan C (@meconnol) August 30, 2013
@Chobani did you change your recipe? Last few yogurts have been fizzy and watery and a little off. Sell by date more than 3 weeks away.— Annie Schwarz (@winkingannie) August 30, 2013
Today's predicted gastrointestinal distress will be thanks to the bite of unnervingly fizzy @Chobani I just ate. #terror— Lisa (@meandertail) September 3, 2013
Chobani, which says it uses only high-quality, natural ingredients, has grown rapidly since it was founded in 2005.
Greek yogurt in general has surged in popularity as well, with fans saying they prefer its thicker consistency and relatively higher protein content when compared with the sweeter yogurt varieties that have long been sold in American supermarkets.
The private company had an estimated $244 million in revenue in 2010, according to S&P Capital IQ.
Chobani says customers with the affected code dates should contact its customer service team at care(at)chobani.com to get replacement products.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Kathleen Magowan estate: The secret millionaire twins who lived modestly but were sitting on a gold mine
Kathleen and Robert Magowan died within a year of each other after years living as near recluses in their modest Simsbury, Connecticut homeThroughout their lives, ...
- Kai the 'hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' who 'beat lawyer to death' is rushed to hospital with self-inflicted wounds after suicide attempt in jail
- Nice day for a height wedding: World's tallest man finds love with woman 2ft 7in shorter than him
- Two men arrested following Oklahoma mass shooting
- New York residents kept awake by eerie howling from new One World Trade Centre
- Tech Gift Ideas: Chromecast, Push2TV & Boogie Board Jot
- Brazil's biggest drug cartel promises a 'World Cup of terror' as violent demonstrations take over the streets
- Whistleblower in alleged newborn calves animal abuse case arrested
- 'Plastic-looking' CGI characters could soon look more human as researchers unveil high-definition facial scanner to capture every skin cell and wrinkle
- First US Krokodil drug case recorded by doctors in St. Louis
- A hundred years of grit and glamor: Film celebrates a century of New York street photography
- Paul Walker: How eight year-old son of Paul Walker's friend tried to save pair from fiery crash as last image of Fast & Furious star getting into doomed Porsche GT emerges
- Steve Jobs roommate Daniel Kottke tells truth behind Chrisann Brennan relationship
- Bolshoi dancer and two other men are found guilty of carrying out acid attack on ballet's director
- Kendrick Johnson death: Blood streaks, an abandoned sneaker and more grisly scene pictures suggest 17-year-old athlete found dead in wrestling mat may have been murdered
- Breast Cancer charity rejects $7000 donation raised by men 'motorboating' their faces into women's breasts
- Paul Walker's best friend and ex Aubrianna Atwell 'devastated' by death
- Meet the teenage girl who launched a custom jewelry company at age 14 that is now set to rake in $250MILLION this year
- Mom faces jail for crash which killed her newborn twins
- Patton Oswalt to host the Independent Spirit Awards
- How to board the metro Venezuelan style
- Congress adds $25m to budget for chimpanzee retirement plans
- Dad shares emotions of preemie son’s first months
- World's first surviving septuplets turn 16
- 'He was trying to get his dad out': How eight year-old son of Paul Walker's friend tried to save pair from fiery crash as last image of Fast & Furious star, 40, getting into doomed Porsche GT emerges
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Paul Walker's girlfriend Jasmine Pilchard-Gosnell makes emotional visit to his family's home
- The real-life Alice in Wonderland: Woman, 24, has rare disorder which makes her feel as if objects are growing and shrinking around her
- North Korean prison camp officials 'raped women and killed them to keep it secret'
- Guinness World Record setting gingerbread house is big enough for a family of FIVE
- It's a rematch! Detroit's Dancing Usher and his 11-year-old challenger resume their hilarious rivalry on Jimmy Kimmel
- McDonald's worker accidentally hands a couple bag of CASH instead of their breakfast order
- Winter super storm strikes across 24 states affecting millions
- Am I seeing triple? One-in-a-million identical triplets born without fertility treatment
- Pictured: Paul Walker's devastated girlfriend makes emotional visit to his family's home for the first time since deadly Porsche crash as it is revealed that she collapsed after learning of his death
- Horror for mother-of-two as she live-tweets deadly car accident... only to discover her husband had been killed in it