Sea snail gets into boy's knee during beach holiday and hatches three weeks later
- Paul Franklin, 4, found the animal in his knee three weeks after falling on rocks during a family holiday
- Mother worried he had Gangrene after doctor's trips and antibiotics didn't help
- Snail now lives in fishbowl at family home
By Jennifer Smith
PUBLISHED: 04:48 EST, 15 August 2013 | UPDATED: 05:59 EST, 15 August 2013
When most of us go to the beach, the best souvenir we can hope for is sand in our shoes and maybe a shell or two.
But for one little boy it was a little more exciting when a snail emerged from his knee following a trip to the beach.
Four year-old Paul Franklin from Aliso Viejo in Orange County, was left baffled when the small creature appeared after his mother Rachael decided to squeeze his wounded knee which he had grazed after falling on rocks during a family camping holiday.
Four year-old Paul (center) was stunned when his mother Rachel (left) squeezed his graze and the snail popped out. Little brother Luke (right), two, is excited about the new addition to the family which the boys have named Turbo
At first, Rachael didn't think much of the injury which Paul sustained while on holiday with his family in Spooner's Cove, California.
'It was just a little owie,' she told the Orange County Register.
'But one that kept seeping and never quite scabbed up.'
After cleaning the wound with antibiotic liquid and applying a small bandage, she didn't think any more of it.
But a week later, Paul managed to re-open the cut after falling while ice skating. Soon, his knee became red, swollen and hot to touch.
Doctors told Rachael that it was a staph infection, and took samples from Paul's knee tissue to test for dangerous viruses.
The doctor prescribed a heavy dose of antibiotics,and sent them on their way.
Ten days later the scab was looking much better, and Rachael thought she could put the ordeal behind her.
It was only when Paul fell on his knee again that his mother knew something was wrong. Filled with what looked like black puss, she decided the wound needed draining.
'I know the doctors didn't want to drain it, but that sucker needed draining!' she said.
The small sea snail is thought to have made its way into Paul's knee after he fell on a nest of snail eggs at Spooner's Cove beach. Paul's mother Rachael is now looking for marine biologists who will be able to tell her more
To Rachel's surprise, what emerged when she squeezed the graze was not just oozing discharge, but a little black snail.
At first, she and Paul mistook the tiny creature for a rock, only realizing that it was in fact a small sea snail when they saw something moving inside its hard shell.
Paul's father, Ken, believes the little animal made its way into his son's leg after he fell onto a nest of snail's eggs at the beach in Spooner's Cove.
Rachael is now trying to find marine biologists who will be able to tell her how such a turn of events came about.
Paul, who describes the whole incident as "crazy" has since named the snail Turbo.
It now lives in a small fishbowl with the family's other pet, a beta fish called Dory.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Kathleen Magowan estate: The secret millionaire twins who lived modestly but were sitting on a gold mine
Kathleen and Robert Magowan died within a year of each other after years living as near recluses in their modest Simsbury, Connecticut homeThroughout their lives, ...
- Brazil's biggest drug cartel promises a 'World Cup of terror' as violent demonstrations take over the streets
- First US Krokodil drug case recorded by doctors in St. Louis
- New York residents kept awake by eerie howling from new One World Trade Centre
- Bolshoi dancer and two other men are found guilty of carrying out acid attack on ballet's director
- Kai the 'hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' who 'beat lawyer to death' is rushed to hospital with self-inflicted wounds after suicide attempt in jail
- 'Plastic-looking' CGI characters could soon look more human as researchers unveil high-definition facial scanner to capture every skin cell and wrinkle
- Steve Jobs roommate Daniel Kottke tells truth behind Chrisann Brennan relationship
- Hickenlooper speaking to Colorado county leaders
- World's first surviving septuplets turn 16
- Colo. state lawmaker criticized for race comments
- Revealed: Tourettes-like outbursts, sublime lovemaking and casual cruelty - in an explosive new book the mother of Steve Jobs' first child lays bare the sordid truth of life with the Apple titan
- How to board the metro Venezuelan style
- Can you guess the sport by the shape of the Olympian's body?
- Horrific moment Al Qaeda terrorist shows 'enemy's' decapitated head to crowd in Syria
- Khowleh, Syria's warrior queen divorces husband to lead 40-strong women's brigade against Assad
- Paul Walker's best friend and ex Aubrianna Atwell 'devastated' by death
- The lost Van Gogh: Painting found in Norwegian attic is confirmed as priceless work by Dutch master
- A hundred years of grit and glamor: Film celebrates a century of New York street photography
- Is this NFL's Most adorable fan? This 3-year-old girl can recite the names and numbers of the entire Seattle Sehawks
- New York bartender's rendition of Radiohead's Creep goes viral
- Tom Cruise defends NOT attending Suri's first day of school in deposition
- Yoga teacher sues ex-Playboy centerfold Stephanie Adams after being fired
- 'You're all a disgrace!': Santa shames Thanksgiving 'parasite' shoppers lined up outside retailers... using a megaphone!
- Weiner's Wieners: New 'Carlos Danger' brand hot dogs poke fun at Anthony Weiner's sexting indiscretions
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Lindsey Vonn all smiles at first World Cup training run in 10 months
- Paul Walker's charity work, from Tinseltown to tsunami-zone
- The adorable and unlikely friendship between a fox and a dog that's being turned into a children's fairytale
- Revealed: Hackers steal usernames and passwords for 2 MILLION social media accounts - and many of the log-ins were as easy as '123'
- Ten pilot whales are dead after pod of four dozen strands itself in the Everglades
- Harvard University's most common grade is an 'A'
- Stolen radioactive liquid container truck has been found EMPTY and the contents dumped one kilometer away
- Two shot dead, another injured at North Carolina's Wingate University as campus goes into lockdown
- Paul Walker secretly bought Iraq war veteran $9,000 wedding ring
- Growing up without a father can permanently alter the BRAIN: Fatherless children are more likely to grow up angry and turn to drugs