Sea snail gets into boy's knee during beach holiday and hatches three weeks later
- Paul Franklin, 4, found the animal in his knee three weeks after falling on rocks during a family holiday
- Mother worried he had Gangrene after doctor's trips and antibiotics didn't help
- Snail now lives in fishbowl at family home
By Jennifer Smith
PUBLISHED: 04:48 EST, 15 August 2013 | UPDATED: 05:59 EST, 15 August 2013
When most of us go to the beach, the best souvenir we can hope for is sand in our shoes and maybe a shell or two.
But for one little boy it was a little more exciting when a snail emerged from his knee following a trip to the beach.
Four year-old Paul Franklin from Aliso Viejo in Orange County, was left baffled when the small creature appeared after his mother Rachael decided to squeeze his wounded knee which he had grazed after falling on rocks during a family camping holiday.
Four year-old Paul (center) was stunned when his mother Rachel (left) squeezed his graze and the snail popped out. Little brother Luke (right), two, is excited about the new addition to the family which the boys have named Turbo
At first, Rachael didn't think much of the injury which Paul sustained while on holiday with his family in Spooner's Cove, California.
'It was just a little owie,' she told the Orange County Register.
'But one that kept seeping and never quite scabbed up.'
After cleaning the wound with antibiotic liquid and applying a small bandage, she didn't think any more of it.
But a week later, Paul managed to re-open the cut after falling while ice skating. Soon, his knee became red, swollen and hot to touch.
Doctors told Rachael that it was a staph infection, and took samples from Paul's knee tissue to test for dangerous viruses.
The doctor prescribed a heavy dose of antibiotics,and sent them on their way.
Ten days later the scab was looking much better, and Rachael thought she could put the ordeal behind her.
It was only when Paul fell on his knee again that his mother knew something was wrong. Filled with what looked like black puss, she decided the wound needed draining.
'I know the doctors didn't want to drain it, but that sucker needed draining!' she said.
The small sea snail is thought to have made its way into Paul's knee after he fell on a nest of snail eggs at Spooner's Cove beach. Paul's mother Rachael is now looking for marine biologists who will be able to tell her more
To Rachel's surprise, what emerged when she squeezed the graze was not just oozing discharge, but a little black snail.
At first, she and Paul mistook the tiny creature for a rock, only realizing that it was in fact a small sea snail when they saw something moving inside its hard shell.
Paul's father, Ken, believes the little animal made its way into his son's leg after he fell onto a nest of snail's eggs at the beach in Spooner's Cove.
Rachael is now trying to find marine biologists who will be able to tell her how such a turn of events came about.
Paul, who describes the whole incident as "crazy" has since named the snail Turbo.
It now lives in a small fishbowl with the family's other pet, a beta fish called Dory.
MOST WATCHED NEWS VIDEOS
MOST READ NEWS
Baltimore police officer ends up adopting 'vicious' pit bull said to be terrorizing the streets after it licked him and jumped in his cruiser
A police officer called out to reports of a 'vicious dog' terrorizing the streets has ended up adopting the abandoned, affectionate pit bull. When Officer Dan ...
- Simon Cowell cuddles up to the 'mother of his child' Lauren Silverman on a VERY cosy holiday as her husband looks on
- Simon Cowell 'expecting a baby with married New York socialite Lauren Silverman'
- Redneck Heaven naked body-paint waitresses force Texas town to change nudity laws
- Kidnap victim Hannah Anderson 'posts selfies and answers questions on Ask.fm'
- Chinese officials mistake porn film 'Lethal Injection' for American execution footage
- James DiMaggio: Police warn man who 'kidnapped Hannah Anderson, 16, could be armed with bombs'
- Radio host and Hollywood voice-over actor Eddie 'Piolin' Sotelo accused of sexually harassing a male staffer
- Ex-Bachelor star Gia Allemand 'on life support' in hospital
- Madelyn Sheaffer: Woman, 43, was kicked out of water park because her bathing suit was too small
- New York train suicide couple: Heartbreaking note left by young lovers who jumped in front of train after facing pressure to break-up
- Gordon Ramsay’s ‘Kitchen Nightmares’ comes to Denver
- Army Sergeant mom 'devastated' by son's death in hot car after she forgot to drop him at day care and is charged with manslaughter
- Body of missing woman Annie Meyer found on Lookout Mountain
- Pictured: Woman on dream honeymoon killed and 11 injured after car speeds along Venice Beach boardwalk targeting crowds
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Three strikes and you're out: Miguel Tejada gets 105-game ban after thrice testing positive for Adderall
- Gladys the dog wears specially designed 'milk pants' to feed baby goats - and she doesn't look too happy about it
- Solange Blain dies: Woman, 63, dead after her car was rear-ended by 'Magical Express' bus ferrying tourists to Walt Disney World
- Georgia teen 'who shot baby dead in his stroller during botched robbery' set to go on trial as defense claims victim's PARENTS had interest in insurance money
- Was Princess Diana MURDERED by a British soldier? Metropolitan Police 'assessing credibility' of new claim
- 9-year-old boy loses legs trying to climb onto slow moving train
- Serviceman who met the Obamas is arrested in undercover child sex sting and tells officers he was struggling to control thoughts of hurting people
- General was called 'Poppa Panda Sexy' pants by junior officer he was having an affair with, court hears as he faces jail for sex assault
- FORTY pythons discovered in motel room where five children - including an infant - were staying
- Martin Manley suicide: Treasure hunters descend on Kansas park searching for $200K buried gold