Texas mom Tiffany Klapheke guilty in daughter's malnutrition death
A Texas jury found a 23-year-old woman guilty of injury to a child in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
ABILENE, Texas — A West Texas woman was convicted Wednesday in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
The Abilene Reporter-News reports that 23-year-old Tiffany Klapheke was found guilty of injury to a child in the 2012 death of Tamryn Klapheke. The Taylor County jury returned with the verdict after about six hours of deliberation.
The jury is set to begin deliberations in the punishment phase Thursday morning. Tiffany Klapheke faces up to life in prison.
Klapheke cried as the verdict was read.
Prosecutors alleged the mother failed to feed her three daughters, leading to the death of her youngest one. According to prosecutors, Klapheke had kept Tamryn locked in a room for four days before she found her dead in her crib and called 911.
In closing statements, prosecutor Joel Wilks said Klapheke "turned her back," adding, "She shuts the door and she leaves. She leaves that child in pain."
Klapheke, who didn't testify, has said her Air Force husband's deployment overseas left her too stressed to care for the couple's three girls.
Airman Thomas Klapheke has since divorced Tiffany Klapheke. The state has temporary conservatorship of the couple's surviving children, with their father granted restrictive custody.
During the trial, jurors heard testimony from expert witnesses who spoke about Tiffany Klapheke's mental state at the time of the Tamryn's death.
Two defense witnesses, Abilene neuropsychologist Samuel Brinkman and Houston-based psychologist Mark Wernick, said Klapheke likely suffers from both post-traumatic stress disorder and reactive attachment disorder as a result of trauma she endured as a child.
Testifying for the prosecution, Abilene psychotherapist Marc Orner said "there's very little to disagree with" in the diagnosis by Brinkman and Wernick. But he did not agree with the conclusion that the Klapheke fell victim to a "dissociative state" before reportedly neglecting her children.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
More students sarcastically say,'#THANKS Michelle Obama' and post photos of their 'healthy' school meals
Students in Wisconsin have taken to social media to blast Michelle Obama for their Thanksgiving themed lunches that feature a brown mystery mush'Had a very ...
- Ty Herndon comes out as gay and reveals he has a partner of five years
- The secret of how size two Food Network chef Giada de Laurentiis stays so slim: She spits her own food into a bucket while filming
- Bill Cosby attacked Lou Ferrigno's wife Carla while wife Camille was in house
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Crystal meth before and after pictures of former beauty queen released
- Parents and three of their children killed after son, 16, 'fell asleep at wheel' on their way to Disney World
- Tiny parasitic tapeworm burrows its way through a man's brain for FOUR YEARS
- Emotional moment 100-year-old woman saw the ocean for the FIRST time: Grandmother who spent her life cotton-picking on Tennessee farm gets birthday wish to see the sea
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Bill Cosby returns to the stage and receives standing ovation at benefit for women's organization as new actress comes forward to say he forced her into oral sex
- Shocking moment gym teacher tries dragging 14-year-old girl across floor and into the swimming pool after she refused because she didn't want to get hairstyle wet
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Maryland Assistant Attorney General warn of $100 on car windshield scam
- British jihadi killed in Kobane fighting for ISIS
- Can Salon Science AnaGain shampoo really give you longer, thicker hair in 3 months?
- Russian boxer knocks out gang of thugs after they harassed his wife
- Kansas City CVS customer takes a selfie after being accidentally LOCKED IN closed Missouri store
- Bill Cosby STILL a Temple University trustee despite continued sexual assault claims and getting nixed by NBC and TV Land
- NHL's Jack Johnson declares bankruptcy after 'parents squander his $30m fortune'
- Housekeeper Cara Simmons GIVEN the home she's sent to clean
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Man is brutally stabbed NINE TIMES for kindly asking a man to stop catcalling his girlfriend
- Robin Williams' son Zak speaks for the first time about his father's death
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Obesity costs the global economy as much as war and terrorism, totalling $2TRILLION a year
- University of Virginia student details alleged gang rape by seven men during a fraternity initiation... and claims the school did nothing about it
- Stray dog that attended university lectures is killed by officials in China
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Bux app turns the stock market into a game to 'bring the fun back to finance'
- Obama announces amnesty for millions of 'anchor baby' parents and illegal immigrant children -- as long as they've been in US for five years
- UC Berkeley students ignore Fox commentator waving ISIS flag but ATTACK him when he waves Israeli flag
- BREAKING NEWS: Woman arrested with a gun outside White House minutes after Obama concluded immigration speech
- Terms of Service
- How the student sons of Chinas super rich show off their wealth
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Are Kylie Jenner's lips achievable with just 'overlining' make-up?
- Modern hand dryers are 'much worse' at spreading germs around a room than paper towels, study claims
- Mississippi and West Virginia are the fattest states in the U.S. - but everyone is more overweight than they imagine
- Caught on camera: Moment two civilians confront police officer over littering sparking profanity-laced verbal spat
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Hundreds of wellwishers converge on Seville cathedral to pay their respects to eccentric Duchess of Alba as she is laid to rest
- Daisy the Labrador has helped find disease in 551 patients
- Sinkhole appears near Russian mine, forcing thousands to stay in their homes
- Miss Honduras Maria Jose Alvaro killed protecting sister Sophia
New footage of Brittany Maynard released three weeks after her controversial suicide on what would have been her 30th birthday as the right-to-die advocate urges more states to pass legislation for the terminally ill (0)