Texas mom Tiffany Klapheke guilty in daughter's malnutrition death
A Texas jury found a 23-year-old woman guilty of injury to a child in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
ABILENE, Texas — A West Texas woman was convicted Wednesday in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
The Abilene Reporter-News reports that 23-year-old Tiffany Klapheke was found guilty of injury to a child in the 2012 death of Tamryn Klapheke. The Taylor County jury returned with the verdict after about six hours of deliberation.
The jury is set to begin deliberations in the punishment phase Thursday morning. Tiffany Klapheke faces up to life in prison.
Klapheke cried as the verdict was read.
Prosecutors alleged the mother failed to feed her three daughters, leading to the death of her youngest one. According to prosecutors, Klapheke had kept Tamryn locked in a room for four days before she found her dead in her crib and called 911.
In closing statements, prosecutor Joel Wilks said Klapheke "turned her back," adding, "She shuts the door and she leaves. She leaves that child in pain."
Klapheke, who didn't testify, has said her Air Force husband's deployment overseas left her too stressed to care for the couple's three girls.
Airman Thomas Klapheke has since divorced Tiffany Klapheke. The state has temporary conservatorship of the couple's surviving children, with their father granted restrictive custody.
During the trial, jurors heard testimony from expert witnesses who spoke about Tiffany Klapheke's mental state at the time of the Tamryn's death.
Two defense witnesses, Abilene neuropsychologist Samuel Brinkman and Houston-based psychologist Mark Wernick, said Klapheke likely suffers from both post-traumatic stress disorder and reactive attachment disorder as a result of trauma she endured as a child.
Testifying for the prosecution, Abilene psychotherapist Marc Orner said "there's very little to disagree with" in the diagnosis by Brinkman and Wernick. But he did not agree with the conclusion that the Klapheke fell victim to a "dissociative state" before reportedly neglecting her children.
- Hall of Fame pitcher Goose Gossage helps print money at Denver Mint
- Goldman Sachs managing director Nicholas Valtz, 39, found dead after kiteboarding outing
- Women workers exploited, physically and sexually abused in Qatar
- Terror aboard THIRD Malaysia Airlines jet as it is forced to abandon take-off to avoid collision with incoming flight
- Woman and boyfriend charged with savagely beating, nearly killing one-year-old daughter
- Billionaires arrive at Sun Valley conference today in branded Allen & Company vests
- 'My son saved his attacker's life': Father who pounded admitted child molester into a 'bloody puddle' claims son stopped him from stabbing admitted pedophile to death
- The cardiologist who's BREAKING hearts: Serbian doctor swamped with patients feigning illness after winning bikini competition
- The Amazon tribe only accessible from Manaus where England will play first World Cup game
- Salma Hayek's brother Sami could face manslaughter charges after deadly crash
- Topless women inspired by Scout Willis take to New York streets
- Was Abigail Hernandez KIDNAPPED?
- Mother arrested after 2-month-old daughter dies from suspected child abuse
- Pregnant mother of four and her unborn child die after she's stung bees
- 'He was protecting himself': Mother of boy, 14, who stabbed his friend and classmate to death says he was acting in self defense against the teen who mocked his speech impediment as she speaks out for first time
- Two American doctors battling the deadly Ebola virus in Africa are entering a 'critical' phase of tehir treatment and
- Boy, 11, has his hand torn off by a tiger at Brazilian zoo after his father let him climb over safety barrier and stroke it in its cage
- Michael Hutchence's half-sister slams INXS: Never Tear US Apart mini-series and lashes out at his fellow band members in on-air interview
- Bubbles takes a bath! Tiny baby monkey gets lathered up, rinsed and towel-dried ready for his close-up
- Indian singer Vennu Mallesh's hilarious 'It's My Life' track becomes a smash hit on the internet
- Cartel member accused of kidnapping children to harvest their organs is captured in Mexico
- The happiest place on Earth? Disney World employees among the workers forced into homelessness because they can't afford to rent in Orlando
- Matthew Reese knowingly infected teenage girl with HIV
- ISIS militants declare formation of caliphate in Syria and Iraq and demand Muslims around the world swear their allegiance, as they announce they are changing their name to the Islamic State
- Florida law professor targeted for murder feared for his safety after menacing anonymous threats to use 'all means necessary to shutting people like YOU down'
- Schoolgirl, 11, loses 6st and now set to compete as freestyle swimmer
- Teenage girl reveals the horrors of the sex trade in Cambodia to Marie Claire magazine
- Shrunken heads and Ming Dynasty jade among incredible horde amassed by Indiana man, 91, over eight decades
- Portland University student claims sexual tension with professor caused heart problems
- Hello Kitty obsessive spent has spent £50,000 over 15 years collecting 10,000 items
- Sierra Leone's top Ebola doctor dies after contracting the virus while fighting the outbreak as Nigeria admits precise number of people U.S. victim Patrick Sawyer could have infected is unknown
- Streaks of passion and blurred action: Hotel invites couples to make love on canvas to create Valentine's works of art
- Shocking video footage shows Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice drag his girlfriend out of an Atlantic City casino elevator by her legs
- Las Vegas mother's fight to save prostitute daughter Hannah Swanson from pimp
- Betrayal forced Guzman to flee his lavish compound of seven homes with secret tunnels to grubby seaside condo where he was caught
- Train carrying Boeing 737 parts derails sending plane fuselages into river
- Feeling glum, joyful, aroused? This new tech can detect your mood
- Girl, 14, killed after being 'sucked into freight train's vacuum
- Oscar-winning producer Brian Grazer set to marry for a fourth time after getting engaged to a former girlfriend of John Cleese
- Carol Fedigan, 68, kills husband and injures 2 after crashing SUV through Sammamish house
- Grieving parents hit with $200,000 bill for daughter's student loans after she died suddenly
- From mangled to medical rock star: Shotgun victim who underwent most ambitious face transplant ever performed covers GQ and says he is 'honored to be an experiment'
- 'I should have gone back': Tearful teen who fled after mowing down two sisters hiding in a pile of leaves reacts to 3-year probation... but now she could be DEPORTED
- Mormon missionary from Utah run over and killed in Sweden
- Father questions how schizophrenic son who brutally murdered his mom could harm himself so seriously on suicide watch after he appears in court in a wheelchair and metal halo
- Ann Taylor under fire for bikini ad Photoshop fail
- Murder victim’s stepfather: Suspect had ‘manifesto’ about capturing, killing a girl
- Harley Davidson Livewire electric motorcycle taken out for first spin in NYC
- Police release pictures of clothes girl, 15, was wearing when she went missing before mysteriously reappearing nine months later
Scorn of 'stitch bitch' Alexander McQueen... designer who dressed (and dissed!) the A-list: Banning Posh from free frocks. Assaulting Madonna (with a spud). What couture's bad boy REALLY thought of his clients revealed by his live-in lover (2.00)
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Detroit man James Brown convicted of killing 4 women from escort site
- Missing pregnant criminology major Loretta Saunders found murdered on Canadian highway
- Couple Sidney and Tammy Moorer Charged With Murder, Kidnapping Of Heather Elvis
- Missing mother Nadia Malik, 22, found dead in a car that had eight parking tickets
- Neighbors unable to stop Missouri girl Hailey Owens's abduction; Charges could bring death penalty
- Utah man Eric Millerberg found guilty of teen babysitter's murder
- Kayla Michelle Finley jailed for failing to return rented copy of Monster-In-Law
- Prison for adult performer Natasha Stewart in buttocks-shot death
- Death of NYC college student Chun "Michael" Deng in Pa. ruled homicide
- California woman Sandra Gonzalez touting 'vampire face-lifts' arrested