Texas mom Tiffany Klapheke guilty in daughter's malnutrition death
A Texas jury found a 23-year-old woman guilty of injury to a child in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
ABILENE, Texas — A West Texas woman was convicted Wednesday in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
The Abilene Reporter-News reports that 23-year-old Tiffany Klapheke was found guilty of injury to a child in the 2012 death of Tamryn Klapheke. The Taylor County jury returned with the verdict after about six hours of deliberation.
The jury is set to begin deliberations in the punishment phase Thursday morning. Tiffany Klapheke faces up to life in prison.
Klapheke cried as the verdict was read.
Prosecutors alleged the mother failed to feed her three daughters, leading to the death of her youngest one. According to prosecutors, Klapheke had kept Tamryn locked in a room for four days before she found her dead in her crib and called 911.
In closing statements, prosecutor Joel Wilks said Klapheke "turned her back," adding, "She shuts the door and she leaves. She leaves that child in pain."
Klapheke, who didn't testify, has said her Air Force husband's deployment overseas left her too stressed to care for the couple's three girls.
Airman Thomas Klapheke has since divorced Tiffany Klapheke. The state has temporary conservatorship of the couple's surviving children, with their father granted restrictive custody.
During the trial, jurors heard testimony from expert witnesses who spoke about Tiffany Klapheke's mental state at the time of the Tamryn's death.
Two defense witnesses, Abilene neuropsychologist Samuel Brinkman and Houston-based psychologist Mark Wernick, said Klapheke likely suffers from both post-traumatic stress disorder and reactive attachment disorder as a result of trauma she endured as a child.
Testifying for the prosecution, Abilene psychotherapist Marc Orner said "there's very little to disagree with" in the diagnosis by Brinkman and Wernick. But he did not agree with the conclusion that the Klapheke fell victim to a "dissociative state" before reportedly neglecting her children.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
Erica Lynne Mesa, 27, charged with custodian indecent liberties and solicitation of a minor using a computerThe married math teacher and volleyball coach at Colonial Forge ...
- Former state wrestling champ and Harvard student dies in mysterious circumstances one day after funeral for his best friend who died of suspected heroin overdose
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Mayor of Los Angeles suburb shot dead by his wife of nearly 30 years following an argument involving their 19-year-old son
- 'The world could be a very different place if he pulled that gun': Secret Service allowed a three-time felon carrying a gun to travel in an elevator with Obama in latest screw up
- Not even Diana's thigh-high skirt made up for her being such an airhead: Withering verdict of LORD BELL, Lady Thatcher's favourite ad man
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Woman dies after falling into giant vat of wine in Spain
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Pictured: Smiling grandmother who was beheaded by Muslim convert in Oklahoma just months after losing her home in tornado
- 'He's got to be gotten rid of': Notorious mobster Bugsy Siegel was 'shot dead by truck driver lover of his best friend's wife'
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Ready to look cute: Magic Johnsons son and star of RichKids of Beverly Hills undergoes gastric sleeve surgery to slim down
- Over 35,000 WALRUS are frantically coming ashore on a beach in northwest Alaska because the sea ice they normally rest on has melted due to global warming
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Mystery as driver found 'shot dead' inside a crashed Mercedes as another body discovered two miles away in million-dollar home
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Maldive photos show mountains of plastic bottles washed up on islands
- How well do you know your partner? The shocking signs that your other half is lying to you
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Missing woman found ALIVE in the trunk of her car but remembers little from her three-day disappearance
- President Barack Obama has skipped more than HALF of his daily intel briefings
- China's Miao Room cavern is the largest on earth
- Now it really IS the Umbrella Revolution! Thousands of pro-democracy protesters take shelter from torrential rain as deadline for election reforms nears
- Man with Ebola at Dallas hospital was first SENT HOME with antibiotics before the deadly virus was later discovered
- Meet the megaflare: Nasa spots stellar flare 10,000 times more powerful than the largest solar blast ever recorded
- 'Black widow' found GUILTY of shooting dead her husband for insurance money and trying to make it look like a suicide
- Lobster meals, a full-size bed and a private departure room: Young entrepreneur uses $23,000 worth of air miles to travel on most luxurious flight in the world from Singapore to New York... and blogs about experience
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- 'Just confess if you still have a spark of humanity': Mother in emotional plea to Hannah Graham suspect after forensic evidence links him to abduction, rape and murder of her own daughter five years ago
- Utah family found dead by son under mysterious circumstances
- All bets are orf! Insider info fears sees bookmakers suspend all bets on Kate giving birth to twins after surge in wagers from new accounts
- 'It's despicable': Widow hits out at college's decision to let her cop husband's killer give graduation speech
- Robin Williams' autopsy results to be delayed another month as coroner continues testing
- Coyote hit by an SUV miraculously SURVIVES with just fractured legs after getting stuck in the bumper
- Night-vision photos show U.S. fighter jet being refueled mid-air before carrying out strikes over Syria
- All hail NYC cabbies! Taxi drivers strip down for 2015 charity calendar (warning: there's a lot of chest hair)
- Randy Couture gets the boot on 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Furore over Stella McCartney's skeleton-chic model as hundreds of fans complain about designer's Instagram snap
- KFC customer told he can't have a wet wipe in halal-only branch because it contains alcohol and could offend Muslim diners
- Uh-oh Spaghetti-METH?!: Woman released from jail ONE MONTH after police confuse a crusty spoon in her car with SPAGHETTIO'S residue on it as being meth
- Terms of Service
- Taylor Swift holds second '1989' surprise screening for fans
- Oklahoma man charged with murder in beheading
- FBI close down 'invisible' smartphone 'stalker app' which allowed user remote access