Texas mom Tiffany Klapheke guilty in daughter's malnutrition death
A Texas jury found a 23-year-old woman guilty of injury to a child in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
ABILENE, Texas — A West Texas woman was convicted Wednesday in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
The Abilene Reporter-News reports that 23-year-old Tiffany Klapheke was found guilty of injury to a child in the 2012 death of Tamryn Klapheke. The Taylor County jury returned with the verdict after about six hours of deliberation.
The jury is set to begin deliberations in the punishment phase Thursday morning. Tiffany Klapheke faces up to life in prison.
Klapheke cried as the verdict was read.
Prosecutors alleged the mother failed to feed her three daughters, leading to the death of her youngest one. According to prosecutors, Klapheke had kept Tamryn locked in a room for four days before she found her dead in her crib and called 911.
In closing statements, prosecutor Joel Wilks said Klapheke "turned her back," adding, "She shuts the door and she leaves. She leaves that child in pain."
Klapheke, who didn't testify, has said her Air Force husband's deployment overseas left her too stressed to care for the couple's three girls.
Airman Thomas Klapheke has since divorced Tiffany Klapheke. The state has temporary conservatorship of the couple's surviving children, with their father granted restrictive custody.
During the trial, jurors heard testimony from expert witnesses who spoke about Tiffany Klapheke's mental state at the time of the Tamryn's death.
Two defense witnesses, Abilene neuropsychologist Samuel Brinkman and Houston-based psychologist Mark Wernick, said Klapheke likely suffers from both post-traumatic stress disorder and reactive attachment disorder as a result of trauma she endured as a child.
Testifying for the prosecution, Abilene psychotherapist Marc Orner said "there's very little to disagree with" in the diagnosis by Brinkman and Wernick. But he did not agree with the conclusion that the Klapheke fell victim to a "dissociative state" before reportedly neglecting her children.
- Massive mayfly swarm that emerged along Mississippi was so huge it lit up weather radar, caused traffic collisions and blacked out the sun
- Hall of Fame pitcher Goose Gossage helps print money at Denver Mint
- Parents who lost three children on MH17 flight tell of agony
- Scientists discover the new black: British researchers devise material so dark it looks like a black hole
- Peaches Geldof found dead at home
- Expert describes effect of missile hit on MH17
- Airbnb squatters refusing to leave apartment complain THEY'RE being harassed
- Meet the seven women of Bravo's 'Ladies of London' whose drinking, cat fighting, royal name dropping and even labor scenes are coming to TV
- 'Basically, I was against all white people.' Hoops superstar Michael Jordan admitted he turned racist when a girl at school called him a 'n****r,' new book reveals
- Mekayla Diehl claims 'That Miss USA bikini did NOT fit me well!'
- Sheriff's office mystery account raises questions
- Toronto coder Lyndsay Kirkham live-tweets 'IBM executives sexist remarks'
- Tearful Leno says goodbye after 22 years as Obama and host of stars pay tribute on his final show
- Two-legged stray dog gives birth to four puppies in China (and their legs are all in order!)
- Goldman Sachs managing director Nicholas Valtz, 39, found dead after kiteboarding outing
- Igor Girkin says 'MH17 bodies aren't fresh' as he claims corpses had been 'dead for days'
- Germany's WAGs invade pitch after World Cup win and carry on partying all night
- Homeless woman who fell asleep in parking space dies after being run over by driver who didn't see her
- Jimi Hendrix' former girlfriend slams upcoming biopic of the rock and roll star that includes scenes of brutal domestic violence as 'completely made up'
- Science teacher's nude selfies sent to hundreds of people including students 'after his work email was hacked'
- 'My son saved his attacker's life': Father who pounded admitted child molester into a 'bloody puddle' claims son stopped him from stabbing admitted pedophile to death
- Miracle baby of Pan Am Flight 759 who survived when jetliner crashed into her house in 1982 speaks out after tragedy's 32nd anniversary
- Philip Chism 'recorded video of rape and murder of his teacher Colleen Ritzer on his cell phone'
- Dad pranks children and drenches them with giant water balloon
- Adios England: Agony and despair as Uruguay's 2-1 victory destroys virtually any hope of going through to the next stage of World Cup
- So poignant, lost children of Flight MH17: Smiling happily in family snapshots, some of the innocent victims of the tragedy
- Miss Colorado Teen Runner-Up Kristy Althaus 'stripped of title' after it emerges she starred in porn film
- The trail of death: Moment surface-to-air missile was fired at MH17, blowing plane apart in mid-air and killing 298 people
- Planned Parenthood counselor 'intentionally misclassified rape by a teen sexual predator as consensual to avoid the hassle of reporting it'
- 'Narcissistic loony toon': What Hillary Clinton REALLY thought of Monica Lewinsky revealed in new secret papers - and she moaned about 'whiney women'
- One Direction's luxury homes are a world away from the modest houses they grew up in
- MH17 eyewitness accounts emerge of the horror that unfolded at crash site
- Family of boxer Magomed Abdusalamov sue for $100m
- Fraternity and sorority at McDaniel College spark outrage after organizing 'racist' 'CMT vs BET' party
- Sudanese Meriam Ibrahim, facing execution for marrying Christian, gives birth in jail
- Katie Cleary's husband Andrew Stern filed for divorce just weeks ago before killing himself at shooting range
- Did Miguel Panduwinata predict the MH17 plane crash?
- 'Does every princess NEED a prince?' Hilarious parody of Disney's Frozen sees Elsa inject the film with 'girl power'
- Despair in Miami: Heat fans mourn the loss of 'King James' to his 'home' in Cleveland by vandalizing mural featuring LeBron's face that took two years to create
- El Paso County assessor faces new accusation
- Israel and Gaza rockets captured from the ISS in space
- Cincinatti Bengals cheerleaders banned from wearing underwear on their lower half but require full support up top
- Is he a fraud? U.S. marines confront 'fake sergeant major' after military funeral in Florida
- Frank Lampard's drunken mockery after 9/11 still haunts him as he prepares for NYC transfer
- Hickenlooper concerned about relocating Central American refugees to Colorado
- WATCH: Police officer seen shoving man multiple times at Coors Field
- Philip Seymour Hoffman split from partner Mimi O'Donnell in troubled last months
- Shocking new accounts of the carnage at the MH17 crash site have emerged today
- British lawyer killed on MH17 along with his wife and three sons: Final UK victims named as John Allen and Andrew Hoare
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Detroit man James Brown convicted of killing 4 women from escort site
- Missing pregnant criminology major Loretta Saunders found murdered on Canadian highway
- Couple Sidney and Tammy Moorer Charged With Murder, Kidnapping Of Heather Elvis
- Missing mother Nadia Malik, 22, found dead in a car that had eight parking tickets
- Neighbors unable to stop Missouri girl Hailey Owens's abduction; Charges could bring death penalty
- Utah man Eric Millerberg found guilty of teen babysitter's murder
- Kayla Michelle Finley jailed for failing to return rented copy of Monster-In-Law
- Prison for adult performer Natasha Stewart in buttocks-shot death
- Death of NYC college student Chun "Michael" Deng in Pa. ruled homicide
- California woman Sandra Gonzalez touting 'vampire face-lifts' arrested