Texas mom Tiffany Klapheke guilty in daughter's malnutrition death
A Texas jury found a 23-year-old woman guilty of injury to a child in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
ABILENE, Texas — A West Texas woman was convicted Wednesday in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
The Abilene Reporter-News reports that 23-year-old Tiffany Klapheke was found guilty of injury to a child in the 2012 death of Tamryn Klapheke. The Taylor County jury returned with the verdict after about six hours of deliberation.
The jury is set to begin deliberations in the punishment phase Thursday morning. Tiffany Klapheke faces up to life in prison.
Klapheke cried as the verdict was read.
Prosecutors alleged the mother failed to feed her three daughters, leading to the death of her youngest one. According to prosecutors, Klapheke had kept Tamryn locked in a room for four days before she found her dead in her crib and called 911.
In closing statements, prosecutor Joel Wilks said Klapheke "turned her back," adding, "She shuts the door and she leaves. She leaves that child in pain."
Klapheke, who didn't testify, has said her Air Force husband's deployment overseas left her too stressed to care for the couple's three girls.
Airman Thomas Klapheke has since divorced Tiffany Klapheke. The state has temporary conservatorship of the couple's surviving children, with their father granted restrictive custody.
During the trial, jurors heard testimony from expert witnesses who spoke about Tiffany Klapheke's mental state at the time of the Tamryn's death.
Two defense witnesses, Abilene neuropsychologist Samuel Brinkman and Houston-based psychologist Mark Wernick, said Klapheke likely suffers from both post-traumatic stress disorder and reactive attachment disorder as a result of trauma she endured as a child.
Testifying for the prosecution, Abilene psychotherapist Marc Orner said "there's very little to disagree with" in the diagnosis by Brinkman and Wernick. But he did not agree with the conclusion that the Klapheke fell victim to a "dissociative state" before reportedly neglecting her children.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
Chuck Hagel has been brief on Bowe Bergdahl 'deserter' investigation that could see the sergeant take $300k in back pay
The Pentagon, including Chuck Hagel, briefed on investigation to determine is Sgt Bowe Bergdahl was 'absent without leave' or AWOLBergdahl could get as much as ...
- The baby who cannot be hugged: Toddler suffers from horrific condition that makes skin-to-skin contact painful and almost impossible
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- 'Sons of Guns' star William Hayden indicted on more child rape charges
- Martha Gaza and her son Samuel 'killed by woman on prescription drugs'
- Face slap over Facebook: Woman, 27, arrested for smacking her own GRANDMOTHER, age 72, after she rejected her friend request
- Kandee Johnson transforms herself into celebrities on Instagram
- 'There was a power she had over me that was intense': 7th Heaven star Stephen Collins blames molesting 3 girls on an older woman who exposed herself to him between the ages of 10 and 15
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Mersane Warria mother of children stabbed to death in Cairns arrested for their murder
- Potty mouth Amy Pascal calls Adam Sandler an 'a**hole' after he pitches new film and an 'a**hole' again for asking for money in leaked emails to Sony executives
- AP Interview: Coelho says Sony hack threatens all
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Minecraft spin-off gets the go-ahead: Story Mode version of the game will be released on consoles and phones next year
- The Mystery of Amazon's best reviewer: A forensic study of her 2,800 reviews reveals she's 5"2", drives a Honda and hates mint... then the trail goes cold
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- 5-year-old upstate New York boy Kenneth White found dead
- ISIS release photos of a man having his hand amputated for theft
- 'I CAN breathe': More than 100 police supporters storm New York City in sick t-shirts mocking Eric Garner's last words
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Over 100 engineers are now working on Elon Musk's 760mph supertube
- Jilted husband catches his nude wife having sex in lover's car, 'fatally stabs both of them and stuffs her body in the trunk' in tragic love triangle
- PGA's oldest member, 103, is the 'oldest man to report making a hole-in-one'..and he's even won the lottery
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Parents on first flight with baby distribute goodie bags to placate passengers at 35,000ft
- Humbug Hawaii! Obamas jet off on their Christmas vacation and the promise of 'lie ins and golf' but Sasha and Malia don't look too impressed
- Best Jenga move ever? Girl whips out the bottom brick like a magician pulls tablecloth from under a set table
- Porn stars prove they can still keep it hot even when covered up in ugly Christmas sweaters
- Underground New York in 1966: Beautiful passenger portraits on the city's Subway
- First cougar seen in Kentucky in over 150 years is promptly shot dead
- Saudi dancers' routine goes horribly wrong when one shoots the other in the backside by mistake
- President Barack Obama calls on only female reporters to ask questions
- Dog accidentally shoots and injures man, 46, after stepping on a loaded gun in Wyoming
- Nabilla Benattia is released on bail ahead of trial for allegedly trying to stab boyfriend
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- New Counting Sheep coffee features herbal sedative to help you sleep
- Ibuprofen may provide 12 extra years of good health, study finds
- Poll finds a 57 percent majority of Americans now believe race relations are bad in most negative assessment of the issue in nearly 20 years
- 'Our great university's reputation has been unfairly tarnished': University of Virginia chairman slams Rolling Stone gang rape article as 'drive-by journalism'
- Principal loses job after misspelled 'Dicember' school sign
- Terms of Service
- Glow with the flow! Watersports company designs paddles fitted with LED lights to illuminate marine life under surface of the sea
- From fighting tigers and leaping wildebeest to incredible urban snapshots: National Geographic reader's best photographs
- All the president's women: Obama only calls on female reporters to ask questions in his final press conference of the year
- US military launch six air strikes against ISIS targets in Syria