Texas mom Tiffany Klapheke guilty in daughter's malnutrition death
A Texas jury found a 23-year-old woman guilty of injury to a child in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
ABILENE, Texas — A West Texas woman was convicted Wednesday in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
The Abilene Reporter-News reports that 23-year-old Tiffany Klapheke was found guilty of injury to a child in the 2012 death of Tamryn Klapheke. The Taylor County jury returned with the verdict after about six hours of deliberation.
The jury is set to begin deliberations in the punishment phase Thursday morning. Tiffany Klapheke faces up to life in prison.
Klapheke cried as the verdict was read.
Prosecutors alleged the mother failed to feed her three daughters, leading to the death of her youngest one. According to prosecutors, Klapheke had kept Tamryn locked in a room for four days before she found her dead in her crib and called 911.
In closing statements, prosecutor Joel Wilks said Klapheke "turned her back," adding, "She shuts the door and she leaves. She leaves that child in pain."
Klapheke, who didn't testify, has said her Air Force husband's deployment overseas left her too stressed to care for the couple's three girls.
Airman Thomas Klapheke has since divorced Tiffany Klapheke. The state has temporary conservatorship of the couple's surviving children, with their father granted restrictive custody.
During the trial, jurors heard testimony from expert witnesses who spoke about Tiffany Klapheke's mental state at the time of the Tamryn's death.
Two defense witnesses, Abilene neuropsychologist Samuel Brinkman and Houston-based psychologist Mark Wernick, said Klapheke likely suffers from both post-traumatic stress disorder and reactive attachment disorder as a result of trauma she endured as a child.
Testifying for the prosecution, Abilene psychotherapist Marc Orner said "there's very little to disagree with" in the diagnosis by Brinkman and Wernick. But he did not agree with the conclusion that the Klapheke fell victim to a "dissociative state" before reportedly neglecting her children.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Malala Yousafzai receives Philadelphia Liberty Medal: Teenage Nobel laureate joins Nelson Mandela, Thurgood Marshall and Jimmy Carter in winning prestigious honor
- Girl, 16, with a heart condition collapses and dies while walking through haunted house
- The ghosts of U576 found 30 miles off the Carolina coast, 72 years after doomed submarine sank when captain launched a suicidal attack against merchant vessel
- Radicalized Canadian Muslim convert runs down two young soldiers in his car before being shot dead by police
- Bill and Hillary ignore Monica Lewinsky's public re-emergence as they continue supporting Democratic candidates on the campaign trail in Louisiana and California
- CDC issues new guidelines for treating Ebola patients that ALL skin must be covered, after two nurses of patient zero contracted the virus
- Woman who got stuck in chimney had been dumped by homeowner she met online and had already been caught on his roof once before
- Anni Dewani's cousin was told that Anni and Shrien were only 'acting'
- New details of alleged rape by lawyer Sanford Rubenstein after Al Sharpton's birthday bash - as accuser's lawyers demand he be charged
- Man charged with killing Saudi college student
- Former Navy SEAL Kristin Beck, who retired to become female, speaks at conference of transgender soldiers to discuss U.S. military's ban
- Woman's home is foreclosed and sold at auction after failing to pay a $95 tax bill - but none of the letters ever reached her... except the one telling her she has to move out by Thanksgiving!
- Search area shifts and Pennsylvania school district boosts security after sighting of survivalist gunman who killed state trooper
- Protesters disrupt Metropolitan Opera premiere of controversial production dramatizing the murder of a Jewish American by Palestinian terrorists
- Teacher, 24, 'admitted to having sex with male cheerleader after being confronted with naked photo she had sent him'
- Oscar Pistorius to finally learn sentence for killing Reeva Steenkamp
- Oscar de la Renta, fashion designer, dead aged 82
- Dr Eben Alexander has lost his scepticism about the after-life
- Western aid 'is funding ISIS fighters' because jihadists are demanding bribes
- Qantas' new business class seats allow you to fully recline and SLEEP
- Teen mother charged with attempted capital murder 'for trying to suffocate her son'
- Carol Highsmith sheds 50lbs to attend her 50th high school reunion
- Isabelle Stapleton's mother Kelli describes morning she tried to kill them both
- Marla Sokoloff pregnant with her second child
- Tori Spelling hospitalized for possible pneumonia
- Matthew Morrison shares wedding photo with wife Renee Puente
- Banksy's version of Girl With A Pearl Earring appears on Bristol wall
- Train cars converted into luxury suites at Crowne Plaza hotel in Indianapolis
- 'Zombie on the loose' in Cheshire sparks police probe but it turned out to be photoshoot
- Jonathan Bennett eliminated from 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Celebrities react to Oscar de la Renta's death
- Roman gladiators ate vegetarian diet and drank 'sports drink' of plant ashes and vinegar
- Revealed, Oregon's First Lady took older ex-lover (and pot-farm partner) on romantic Siberian trip just weeks after she was paid $5,000 for 'green card wedding' to Ethiopian immigrant
- One in three now ignore home telephone when it rings
- Duchess of Cambridge is all smiles despite looking a little under the weather in first public appearance since announcing her second pregnancy
- More Siding Spring images shooting past Mars captured by orbiter