Texas mom Tiffany Klapheke guilty in daughter's malnutrition death
A Texas jury found a 23-year-old woman guilty of injury to a child in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
ABILENE, Texas — A West Texas woman was convicted Wednesday in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
The Abilene Reporter-News reports that 23-year-old Tiffany Klapheke was found guilty of injury to a child in the 2012 death of Tamryn Klapheke. The Taylor County jury returned with the verdict after about six hours of deliberation.
The jury is set to begin deliberations in the punishment phase Thursday morning. Tiffany Klapheke faces up to life in prison.
Klapheke cried as the verdict was read.
Prosecutors alleged the mother failed to feed her three daughters, leading to the death of her youngest one. According to prosecutors, Klapheke had kept Tamryn locked in a room for four days before she found her dead in her crib and called 911.
In closing statements, prosecutor Joel Wilks said Klapheke "turned her back," adding, "She shuts the door and she leaves. She leaves that child in pain."
Klapheke, who didn't testify, has said her Air Force husband's deployment overseas left her too stressed to care for the couple's three girls.
Airman Thomas Klapheke has since divorced Tiffany Klapheke. The state has temporary conservatorship of the couple's surviving children, with their father granted restrictive custody.
During the trial, jurors heard testimony from expert witnesses who spoke about Tiffany Klapheke's mental state at the time of the Tamryn's death.
Two defense witnesses, Abilene neuropsychologist Samuel Brinkman and Houston-based psychologist Mark Wernick, said Klapheke likely suffers from both post-traumatic stress disorder and reactive attachment disorder as a result of trauma she endured as a child.
Testifying for the prosecution, Abilene psychotherapist Marc Orner said "there's very little to disagree with" in the diagnosis by Brinkman and Wernick. But he did not agree with the conclusion that the Klapheke fell victim to a "dissociative state" before reportedly neglecting her children.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
|PHOTOS: Plastic Surgery Celebrity||Awkward family photos|
|UPDATED: Faces of Meth||PHOTOS: Celebrities all a-Twitter|
'The brother that executed James Foley should be the new Batman': Cardiff ISIS fighters post sickening messages mocking beheading of U.S. journalist
Reyaad Khan and Nasser Muthana continue to post vile online commentsThe pair appeared in a chilling recruitment video for Islamic State in JuneLast week, 20-year-old ...
- Jacuzzis, butlers and baby grand pianos... welcome aboard the cruise ships with the most lavish suites (and heftiest price tags)
- Jennifer Lawrence victim of hacker who leaks slew of graphic nude photos of Oscar winning actress and 'dozens of A-listers'
- Couple stole little girl's iPod in Aurora
- Father of four gunned down by police who claim he was armed and suicidal - which his family deny
- Kelly Brook reveals she HIT ex-boyfriends Danny Cipriani and Jason Statham
- At least two dead and many more missing as massive explosion destroys four-story building in Paris suburb
- Former journalist tells of her double life as a mother and an escort
- Pregnant woman shot dead 'in cold blood' at her home in attack that also killed unborn child
- And you thought we had the internet to thank for cat memes! Barmy archive reveals how owners dressed up their pets 100 years ago
- Louisiana TV host shot dead by son-in-law who was also believed to be his lover in alleged murder-suicide attempt
- Spotted in Primark at 15, the single mum who is the new Naomi Campbell (and is making millions after leaving her drug dealer lover)
- 'I was desperate to have a baby'. Aussie mum gives birth 3 years after husbands death
- Mexico'sLeandra Becerra Lumbreras becomes oldest person who ever lived at 127
- The puppy who got a second chance: Heart-warming story of near ferial abandoned dog who became a lovable pet after being rescued and given a little TLC
- The Great War Soldiers saved by a pocket Bible, a whistle and a camera: Incredible stories of how three heroes cheated death revealed for the first time
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Joan Rivers family face agonizing decision over whether or not to turn off life support machine as legendary comic fights for her life
- Terms of Service
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Jennifer Lawrence 'victim of hacker' who leaks slew of graphic nude photos of Oscar winning actress
- How to eat exhaustion away: In part two of our unmissable series on beating tiredness, a top GP reveals the three week diet plan that'll have you bouncing out of bed again
- 'I am the most drunk Democrat in Texas': Gov. Rick Perry says tweet that disparaged district attorney convicted for drunk driving was 'unauthorized'
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Making his final journey around the world: Family fulfill fisherman father's dying wish to let his memory find its way across the globe as a special message in a bottle
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Prince Willliam and Kate, Duchess of Cambridge plan Chinese charm offensive
- The curse of having wonky eyebrows: Uneven brows get worse as you age - now there's a cunning way to straighten them
- Millionaire couple follow Pope's call on rescue boat to help desperate migrants - and on its first voyage they save hundreds of Syrians and Palestinians sinking in the Mediterranean
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Three fundraisers and a wedding: President Obama and first family attend White House chef's nuptials on a busy Labor Day weekend
- Girl, 9, dies, was trapped in sand at Oregon beach
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Doctors fear stroke could leave Joan Rivers as 'either a vegetable or in a wheelchair' as they begin process to bring her out of coma which will take until Tuesday
- The citizen agents of 'Project Washtub'
- Russian troops threaten to shoot Ukrainian soldiers in tense stand-off
- Boxer vows to fight on – after 51st defeat in row
- Is there ANYTHING that Botox can't treat?
- Look, no hands! I'm in Google's driverless car (and it could be finding its way to YOUR street)
- Ashya King's parents are now in Spain, police believe
- Heart-stopping moment a Russian IndyCar rookie smashed into another car and fence in horror crush that left him with broken bones
- 'We're going home': YouTube video shows the moment a leukemia patient, 7, is elated to find out he can get out of the hospital
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Knee injury to sideline Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan 6-8 weeks
- Malibu Beach surfer successfully swaps his board MID SURF before getting wiped out
- How middle-aged mother Sally Jones from Chatham may have 'reinvented herself as a jihadi'
- Mississippi girl suffered facial injuries blaming classmates 'who kicked her in face'
- Hero's welcome as NASCAR champ Tony Stewart returns to a standing ovation just THREE weeks after killing fellow driver Kevin Ward Jr... before he hits a wall