Texas mom Tiffany Klapheke guilty in daughter's malnutrition death
A Texas jury found a 23-year-old woman guilty of injury to a child in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
ABILENE, Texas — A West Texas woman was convicted Wednesday in the starvation death of her 22-month-old daughter.
The Abilene Reporter-News reports that 23-year-old Tiffany Klapheke was found guilty of injury to a child in the 2012 death of Tamryn Klapheke. The Taylor County jury returned with the verdict after about six hours of deliberation.
The jury is set to begin deliberations in the punishment phase Thursday morning. Tiffany Klapheke faces up to life in prison.
Klapheke cried as the verdict was read.
Prosecutors alleged the mother failed to feed her three daughters, leading to the death of her youngest one. According to prosecutors, Klapheke had kept Tamryn locked in a room for four days before she found her dead in her crib and called 911.
In closing statements, prosecutor Joel Wilks said Klapheke "turned her back," adding, "She shuts the door and she leaves. She leaves that child in pain."
Klapheke, who didn't testify, has said her Air Force husband's deployment overseas left her too stressed to care for the couple's three girls.
Airman Thomas Klapheke has since divorced Tiffany Klapheke. The state has temporary conservatorship of the couple's surviving children, with their father granted restrictive custody.
During the trial, jurors heard testimony from expert witnesses who spoke about Tiffany Klapheke's mental state at the time of the Tamryn's death.
Two defense witnesses, Abilene neuropsychologist Samuel Brinkman and Houston-based psychologist Mark Wernick, said Klapheke likely suffers from both post-traumatic stress disorder and reactive attachment disorder as a result of trauma she endured as a child.
Testifying for the prosecution, Abilene psychotherapist Marc Orner said "there's very little to disagree with" in the diagnosis by Brinkman and Wernick. But he did not agree with the conclusion that the Klapheke fell victim to a "dissociative state" before reportedly neglecting her children.
Colorado NewsGet the latest Colorado news, sports, weather, entertainment, business & political news and more from Colorado Newsday.
Rate this article
Denver Broncos linebacker Danny Trevathan suffered a knee injury during training camp on Tuesday that will force him to sit out for up to two ...
- Pope Francis urges people to put away their iPhones
- Petra Kvitkova crashes out of Australian Open
- Three-year-old boy performs Beatles' Love Me Do with his dad
- How Brooklyn is turning from hipster haven into Mecca for the celebs
- Lady Victoria Hervey sparks outrage for 'battered housewife' tweet
- Man whose 'penis split in two and eroded' sues his insurance company
- Tyler Wright gets surfboard caught in Cronulla rock pool as she is hammered by waves
- Queens father 'kills daughter, girlfriend and mother-in-law in mass murder-suicide'
- Campaign 'silly season' begins as potential GOP candidates hit Iowa
- Asteroid set to pass so close on Monday you'll be able to see it with binoculars: Earth's closest call until 2027 poses no threat 'for the foreseeable future'
- 'Birdman,' 'Fargo' win Producers Guild of America Awards
- Drunk tractor driver decapitates three people in head-on crash
- Ageing lawyer Darryl Snider releases rap video about ending domestic violence
- Vanderbilt player Cory Batey was so drunk 'when he gang-raped woman'
- Washington townhouses evacuated services deal with 19th-century cannonball
- Polish investigators compile list of 9,500 staff at Auschwitz
- Scientists travel back to the last Ice Age with stunning 3D radar maps of Greenland's ice sheet
- Paula Abdul, Jason Derulo to judge 'So You Think You Can Dance'
- Two squirts of melatonin will give you a good night's sleep, claim inventors
- Julia Roberts to produce and star in a new 'Batkid' movie
- Former director of Breckenridge Film Festival Dawna Foxx given 5 years for embezzling $300K
- Maris Gonzalez forced to resign over inappropriate relationship with Texas student
- Inside the £3.5 BILLION luxury Baha Mar Caribbean resort
- Mother takes to the streets of North Carolina to protest against her daughters' 'disrespectful' behavior
- 'One Life to Live' alum Brandon Buddy arrested for alleged DWI
- Matthew Beard, Reese Witherspoon to be SAG Awards presenters
- Beverly Wilshire Hotel now offers $100,000 'Pretty Woman' package
- Pregnant woman drives kids into ocean in Florida
- Denver Man Michael McGinley threatened to kill wife in phone call at DA’s office
- Mandy Moore and Ryan Adams are divorcing
- Kylie Jenner says she is still studying for her high-school diploma
- Lawmakers in Michigan and Texas join push for every graduating high school senior to pass a written civics test -- could YOU do it?
- Joe Franklin, New York TV and radio icon, dead at 88
- Forbes rich list names world’s youngest billionaires
- Gavin DeGraw to perform at the Miss Universe Pageant
- 'American Sniper' tops the North American box office for a second weekend
- Bradley Cooper is bringing 'The Elephant Man' to London
- Lost Harry Houdini movie 'The Grim Game' to screen at TCM Festival
- Missing Ohio couple Doyle and Lillian Chumney found dead in their burnt car
- Sheriff BLASTS Al Sharpton for Michael Brown and Ferguson protesters support
- Kim Kardashian denied access to Vanity Fair party
- Spoiled teen takes parents to court
- Oprah Winfrey tells Lindsay Lohan to ‘cut the bull****’ in trailer for new reality show Lindsay
- Michelle Obama dances with schoolkids after reading to them at White House
- Americans would vote American Sniper to win Best Picture at the Oscars
- Raleigh Freshman is FOURTH student to be found dead at North Carolina college
- Tom Brady, Deflategate tackled on 'Saturday Night Live'
- Am I Going Down app calculates chances of flight crashing